• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Vard

I've created monsters, every lunchtime at my work it's Splendor, Splendor, Splendor.

Send help.
My sister was like that too. Ultimately I let her borrow the game so I could get it out of her system. I like the game but there are many games to play. Seems to have worked - now when we meet up to play it's not Splendor 24/7!

played a good game of Lords of Waterdeep tonight, just two player.
No mandatory quests (by chance) to muck things up.
The loser would have won if not for being denied a single purple cube.

Now I'm on Etsy looking for meeples to replace the boring cubes, and maybe even agents. And a better organiser for the box than that pathetic bit of plastic they give you!

More Mage Knight talk...

My wife has continuing education all weekend. Last night, I decided to get a game setup and ready so that I could refresh rules today and play a few games this weekend. I forgot how much table space this game takes up. I really need to look into optimized setups for this game.

Wow - this is fantastic. If my wife asks me what I'm playing, that's exactly what I'm telling her. "You know Cones of Dunshire? It's kind of like that."

8LRkZIpl.jpg

I got the playmat made and it really help organizing the game for me. This was from my last solo play. Now you guys making me want to set this up for play. I finally got around to try Shades of Tezla after the game above (I think I was playing Krang with Mine conquest). That is really a good expansion and adds many nice new stuffs. It really is too bad about the components but some of the scenario the tokens are kept separate anyway so it sort of work out.

Karkador

Banned

Now I'm on Etsy looking for meeples to replace the boring cubes, and maybe even agents. And a better organiser for the box than that pathetic bit of plastic they give you!

You can get a mini meeple set from Germany for about $10 before shipping (the shipping shouldn't be too much). $25 for the sets on Etsy or Meeplesource before shipping is rather insane.

https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces/meeples-small.html

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
8LRkZIpl.jpg

I got the playmat made and it really help organizing the game for me. This was from my last solo play. Now you guys making me want to set this up for play. I finally got around to try Shades of Tezla after the game above (I think I was playing Krang with Mine conquest). That is really a good expansion and adds many nice new stuffs. It really is too bad about the components but some of the scenario the tokens are kept separate anyway so it sort of work out.

Yooooooo. I need that mat. Details/link/etc?

This reminds me: I need to look for a set of blue Game of Thrones the board game pieces so I can play the great 4 person expansion without being bothered by colors.

lordxar

8LRkZIpl.jpg

You've sleeved all the cards?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Of course! With all the shuffling that you do in Mage Knight, it's almost imperative to prolong the life of the cards. Considering that Wiz Kids has shit for QC, anything you can do will help and be worth the investment.

E: Even penny sleeves are better than nothing here. I use Ultra Pro Matte Clears, but I've got some penny sleeves for custom cards I printed on card stock for other games.

Palmer_v1

I don't mind games that depend on apps.

For me, board games occupy a spot similar to what co-op couch video games used to. An opportunity to socialize in person while playing a game. As that type of video game becomes harder to find, my reliance on board gaming increases. It's also probably why I like co-op and campaign driven games so much. The fact that my wife can play these games with me is also a bonus. Overall, I don't care about the tactile feel of shuffling a deck, holding cards in my hand, or even moving physical pieces on a board. They're just a means to an end. I'm also not overly concerned about losing access to an app in a few years, as long as the app is compatible with a Windows OS. Mobile-only apps worry me more, but still not enough that I would avoid an otherwise great game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My mage knight is definitely sleeved. I need to sleeve up millennium blades, but i think the store deck would never stay standing lol

Side note, in Zcide Black Plague the new characters make the game really easy. I guess you cant add thr nre heroes and not add the wolf zombies. We had one character who did plus 1 damage and we basicalky went unthreatened the entire game. We got in the new bosses and I tjink that should ramp up the difficulty. We really don't like easy games lol

Palmer_v1

My mage knight is definitely sleeved. I need to sleeve up millennium blades, but i think the store deck would never stay standing lol

Side note, in Zcide Black Plague the new characters make the game really easy. I guess you cant add thr nre heroes and not add the wolf zombies. We had one character who did plus 1 damage and we basicalky went unthreatened the entire game. We got in the new bosses and I tjink that should ramp up the difficulty. We really don't like easy games lol

Yeah, anything that lets you kill Abominations without requiring dragon bile/torch immediately trivializes a lot of the difficulty. Especially if it's a starter skill.

Blizzard

Banned

I actually really liked the Lords of Waterdeep box. The cubes are easy to pull out because of the nicely curved bowls, in contrast to sharp square containers. The cards are easy to lift because there are slanted indentations below either side, so you just press down on one end.

Other parts have nicely fitting holes, plus typically they have finger grooves on the end for easy removal. There's easy a guide in the rules for where everything fits, I think?

I can't really think of another commercial game so designed around ease of taking the parts out. One of the only downsides for me was that not all the cardboard pieces fit into the health/coin slots in my game.

Chorazin

Broken Token has all those things, plus metal coins, and it's all FUCKING GORGEOUS.

I actually really liked the Lords of Waterdeep box. The cubes are easy to pull out because of the nicely curved bowls, in contrast to sharp square containers. The cards are easy to lift because there are slanted indentations below either side, so you just press down on one end.

Other parts have nicely fitting holes, plus typically they have finger grooves on the end for easy removal. There's easy a guide in the rules for where everything fits, I think?

I can't really think of another commercial game so designed around ease of taking the parts out. One of the only downsides for me was that not all the cardboard pieces fit into the health/coin slots in my game.

Masmorra has a pretty fantastic insert.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Broken Token has all those things, plus metal coins, and it's all FUCKING GORGEOUS.

Masmorra has a pretty fantastic insert.

Make sure you're cool with gluing together wood bits if you go Broken Token though. I have one of their organizers and haven't yet been arsed to put it together when I realized it would take more than 5m and if i wasn't careful I could permanently damage it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have the Broken Token insert for Mage Knight and Suburbia. Yeah, they take some time. But if you're careful and reinforce all the glued spots with some tape, they work AMAZINGLY well. I wouldn't do it any other way for games you play regularly.

Karkador

Banned
Broken Token seems very overpriced. I don't have a problem with assembly (you're gonna be doing that with any custom insert), but an insert costing almost as much as the game is not a very sound proposition.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have the Broken Token insert for Mage Knight and Suburbia. Yeah, they take some time. But if you're careful and reinforce all the glued spots with some tape, they work AMAZINGLY well. I wouldn't do it any other way for games you play regularly.

I use http://www.inserthere.me/ for my absolute favorite favorite games but fair warning the dude is crazy expensive (since he hand-assembles custom foamcore inserts). Still if beautiful organization is something you value and you don't mind paying close to game cost then hey. Been an absolute lifesaver for me on stuff like Eldritch Horror and Suburbia.

Broken Token seems very overpriced. I don't have a problem with assembly (you're gonna be doing that with any custom insert), but an insert costing almost as much as the game is not a very sound proposition.
Yeah honestly that will almost always be the case unless you completely do it yourself (which some people do, esp with foamcore). These aren't high-volume operations (especially not Insert Here) so you're basically paying for manual craftsmanship done at very low volumes in most cases. Niche product for sure. :)

Karkador

Banned
Yeah honestly that will almost always be the case unless you completely do it yourself (which some people do, esp with foamcore). These aren't high-volume operations (especially not Insert Here) so you're basically paying for manual craftsmanship done at very low volumes in most cases. Niche product for sure. :)

Eh, Broken Token is a lasercut process. They use birch wood, which is probably one of the cheaper woods, but it's still real, non-recycled wood. That's a pretty excessive material for a utility product inside my board game box.

They aren't interested in making it cheap. They are succeeding at branding the inserts as a premium product, which is fine, but the world needs a cheaper alternative. We need the IKEA of board game inserts.

Chorazin

Make sure you're cool with gluing together wood bits if you go Broken Token though. I have one of their organizers and haven't yet been arsed to put it together when I realized it would take more than 5m and if i wasn't careful I could permanently damage it.

Wood glue and patience makes Broken Token stuff solid as a rock. I find it's a lot of fun to build there inserts, like a functional Lego kit. I have the 7 Wonders and Blood Rage sets so far!

EYEL1NER

I know it had some hotness surrounding it when I came out, but I kind of ignored Tragedy Looper for a while. I knew that people who liked SHCD liked it and I knew that SHCD was supposed to be good (I hadn't played it yet, and still haven't, despite owning it for two years now), but it seemed quite a bit different than SHCD. I took an initial look and didn't think it was something I would be interested in.
Well last night I started reading reviews for it and more in-depth descriptions of how the game plays and I have to say, I am interested now. Playing as the Mastermind and orchestrating these scripts while three other players fumble around blindly, trying to figure out what the hell is going on, seems like it would be quite a bit of fun. I remember some people in the last thread had positive things to say about it. One common thing I saw in common with a lot of reviews was that the game took a while to 'click' becuase of how many options there are for the mastermind and because of how clueless the team of three is to what's going on. Any opinions on that?
The only thing that kept me from buying it after deciding it looked fun was that the game group at the local store has kind of fallen apart now that people are going back to school and stuff. We only had three people for Zombicide two weeks ago and three people for Escape: Curse of the Temple last week. I wouldn't want to wind up without a full game if I got it.

Karkador

Banned
Tragedy Looper is ...actually a game that would benefit from an app, lol.

It's a quirky Japanese game with some interesting ideas. The concept sounds neat on paper: run through a scenario where you try to deduce what's going on, and stop some disaster from happening.

But I think it has a lot of flaws in the design. I find the game downright confusing to look at. Z-Man did nothing but translate the game, so the look of it is definitely to a Japanese taste, but nevertheless very BUSY. A lot of the important information in the game just doesn't pop, and the most crucial information is stuffed on a black and white player aid.

Yes, you refer to tables on a player aid with a LOT of information, and this is absolutely necessary to play the game. Imagine a game that requires you to keep checking the rulebook to play - now imagine if the rulebook is badly designed.

I find it really hard for the Mastermind player to run the game. The Mastermind needs to know the game VERY well to make it a smooth experience. On top of that, they need to figure out how to inject theme into the rather mechanical things going on; WITHOUT giving too many clues. If they don't get this right, the game suffers for everybody.

When the game works, it's a pretty interesting experience. I'd say the meat of the game is more interesting than Mysterium. I wish they did a second edition with a real effort to streamline the game. As it is, the game just feels like more trouble than its worth.

Taborcarn

I realized my new copy of Via Nebula is completely missing the "wood" resource out of the box. The included baggie only had 4 of the 5 resource types in it. So now I'm waiting to hear back from Asmodee support before my copy is actually playable.

Good thing I actually checked it before going to play it with a group, since with a new baby due in 2 weeks my gaming time is limited to once every few months.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I watched a few Gen Con interview videos and walkthroughs today. The one that really surprised me was the one with Poots for Kingdom Death. He seems pretty genuine about the whole thing. He said a reprint is coming with the new 1.4 update. I'm almost considering it after watching what I have...

Another fascinating one was the guy talking about people who think they're entitled to a free game because they do a few YouTube videos and want a handout. I kind of agreed with him and appreciated him calling people out for that shit. Buy your games like the rest of us.

EYEL1NER

Tragedy Looper is ...actually a game that would benefit from an app, lol.

It's a quirky Japanese game with some interesting ideas. The concept sounds neat on paper: run through a scenario where you try to deduce what's going on, and stop some disaster from happening.

But I think it has a lot of flaws in the design. I find the game downright confusing to look at. Z-Man did nothing but translate the game, so the look of it is definitely to a Japanese taste, but nevertheless very BUSY. A lot of the important information in the game just doesn't pop, and the most crucial information is stuffed on a black and white player aid.

Yes, you refer to tables on a player aid with a LOT of information, and this is absolutely necessary to play the game. Imagine a game that requires you to keep checking the rulebook to play - now imagine if the rulebook is badly designed.

I find it really hard for the Mastermind player to run the game. The Mastermind needs to know the game VERY well to make it a smooth experience. On top of that, they need to figure out how to inject theme into the rather mechanical things going on; WITHOUT giving too many clues. If they don't get this right, the game suffers for everybody.

When the game works, it's a pretty interesting experience. I'd say the meat of the game is more interesting than Mysterium. I wish they did a second edition with a real effort to streamline the game. As it is, the game just feels like more trouble than its worth.
Thanks for your input. It seemed like it would be overwhelming in the beginning but it may a bit much. I still want it, but I'll probably hold off for a while until it is on sale somewhere. Like I said, the game group at the local store kinda fell apart, so it wouldn't get to the table anytime soon. I'm supposed to take in PitchCar on Tuesday and I am already assuming it will be a group of 3 people max again, and probably as fun as the game of Zombicide and Escape (which is to say, not all that fun).

I placed an order with CardHaus last night, the first order in quite a while with them. Not that they don't have good prices every now and then; I just never have a long-standing order with them and they have a higher free shipping threshold, so I rarely consider them in the same breath as MM and CSI. They had the X-Wing Gozanti Imperial Assault Carrier for like $37 though, and I had to jump on that. So I grabbed a $20 ding and dent copy of the new Flick Em Up expansion Red Rock Tomahawk, both of the Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game add-on characters, Love Letter: Archer - Once you go Blackmail, Sushi Go Party, an X-Wing K-Wing and Kihraxz ship, and a pre-order for an X-Wing Protectorate Starfighter. I can't wait to try Sushi Go Party out with my daughter and wife since they like the regular game already.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I watched a few Gen Con interview videos and walkthroughs today. The one that really surprised me was the one with Poots for Kingdom Death. He seems pretty genuine about the whole thing. He said a reprint is coming with the new 1.4 update. I'm almost considering it after watching what I have...

Another fascinating one was the guy talking about people who think they're entitled to a free game because they do a few YouTube videos and want a handout. I kind of agreed with him and appreciated him calling people out for that shit. Buy your games like the rest of us.

ep. 947 of board gamers are in some significant part cheap entitled shits. :p be funny to see who it was too as many YT reviewers are pretty crap, though the main Dice Tower guys, gameboygeek, jongetsgames and a few others are all quite good as long as you take into account their tendency to overrate games (especially the first two -- jon seems to be negative slightly more often). i actually find podcasters even more insufferable than most YTers though as at least with YTers i can usually look at game bits and the like in their videos whereas a bad podcast just has no redeeming qualities or even distractions.

mercviper

I was actually looking at this yesterday. But I really didn't want to shell out $30 for the mat from inkedplaymats lol. I might eventually but who knows.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120566/mage-knight-supplemental-playmat-solo-play-14-x-24

And if you like that you'll probably like these too.

Files ready to print at inkedplaymats.com:
Tovak - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770050/klema
Norowas - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770049/klema
Goldyx - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770048/klema
Arythea - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770047/klema

Re: getting an insert. eh, Everything fits in my box pretty snug so I haven't thought about getting one since shaking it around doesn't make a mess.

Yeah I sleeved all of mine too lol. Getting some 500-pack of sleeves isn't too expensive and you can do it while watching TV or something.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yup, got it at Gen Con! Great freaking game.

Shame that I'm missing out on all the Kickstarter minis, but I doubt I'll ever play it enough where I'll be upset I don't have them. I'll pick up the expansion sets though when I can!

I am glad it is good. We got Arcadia Quest very recently but it has already made it to the table a few times and everyone loves it. The extra heroes is going to make drafting your guild a lot better for AQ on top of getting another CMoN production.

I normally don't sleeve all my games especially not games I usually play solo or just at home with my kids (since they know better to not abuse my games) but I recently broke down and sleeved all my Mage Knight because last session I noticed that cards start to scratch in places and I really want to incorporate the Shades of Tezla expansion (the cards in the expansion are slightly different than the core game cards) and I have local sport card shop that recently put all their board game sleeves on clearance. I got about 2000 or so premium sleeves for about $26. They are not Dragon Shield grade but more about Fantasy Flight grade which for me is just perfect. I usually sleeved games that I take to MeetUp and also sleeve most of my deckbuilding game like Alien Encounters that need a lot of shuffling (and Mage Knight).

Sorry, I was sleeping (worked graveyard last night) but MercViper post a link from BGG and that is where I got the mat from. I think it really help with not just setting up the game but during play time. I find the game is easier to keep track when everything is in certain order. It is a little pricey since it's custom made to order. I find it worth the investment for game that I play frequently. The mat I got has really strong odor so if you are adverse to this type of thing just keep that in mind. The smell probably will go away after awhile or let it air out but I kept my mat in a tube so it still smell pretty strong every time that I used it.

I was actually looking at this yesterday. But I really didn't want to shell out $30 for the mat from inkedplaymats lol. I might eventually but who knows.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120566/mage-knight-supplemental-playmat-solo-play-14-x-24

And if you like that you'll probably like these too.

Files ready to print at inkedplaymats.com:
Tovak - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770050/klema
Norowas - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770049/klema
Goldyx - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770048/klema
Arythea - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1770047/klema

Re: getting an insert. eh, Everything fits in my box pretty snug so I haven't thought about getting one since shaking it around doesn't make a mess.

Yeah I sleeved all of mine too lol. Getting some 500-pack of sleeves isn't too expensive and you can do it while watching TV or something.

2tCWeoEl.jpg

I made a lot of inserts in the past and actually enjoying it but as AstroLad said Time > Money. I don't mind getting Broken Token stuffs on occasion especially for games with a lot of bits and miniatures that would required a lot of cutting and planning. I agree that sometime it seems silly to spend the money for an insert that cost as much as the game itself, but after all this is a hobby not life necessity so spend what you think is worth it to you. I usually cheat a little when making inserts and try to incorporate the Plano or tackle boxes for the chits and tokens and only essentially build a frame to hold in and separate bigger parts like cards, miniatures and tiles.

Most of the time (especially lately), I am fine with just small plastic box to sort out the tokens and only would make insert if the game really needed one to help set up time. Inserts for Mage Knight and especially miniature heavy games like Zombicide (original) and Imperial Assault really help facilitate setting up and playing the game. If I were to leave all my Mage Knight in the box like you did, my laziness would stop me from setting the game up after I open that box and see all the components everywhere.

mercviper

http://i.imgur.com/2tCWeoEl.jpg[/img ]

I made a lot of inserts in the past and actually enjoying it but as AstroLad said Time > Money. I don't mind getting Broken Token stuffs on occasion especially for games with a lot of bits and miniatures that would required a lot of cutting and planning. I agree that sometime it seems silly to spend the money for an insert that cost as much as the game itself, but after all this is a hobby not life necessity so spend what you think is worth it to you. I usually cheat a little when making inserts and try to incorporate the Plano or tackle boxes for the chits and tokens and only essentially build a frame to hold in and separate bigger parts like cards, miniatures and tiles.

Most of the time (especially lately), I am fine with just small plastic box to sort out the tokens and only would make inset if the game really needed one to help set up time. Inserts for Mage Knight and especially miniature heavy games like Zombicide (original) and Imperial Assault. The insert really help facilitate setting up and playing the game. If I were to leave all my Mage Knight in the box like you did, my laziness would stop me from setting the game up after I open that box and see all the components everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. Just to be clear I'm not against getting inserts, I bought a broken token one for PACG after all. It's more that I didn't feel a need for one in Mage Knight because I bag everything separately so setup is still simple and even without an insert everything stays separated and not mixed up since there isn't too much space for the cards/tiles to shift around. Might start using a plano box for the monster tokens though after seeing yours.

Oh yeah. Just to be clear I'm not against getting inserts, I bought a broken token one for PACG after all. It's more that I didn't feel a need for one in Mage Knight because I bag everything separately so setup is still simple and even without an insert everything stays separated and not mixed up since there isn't too much space for the cards/tiles to shift around. Might start using a plano box for the monster tokens though after seeing yours.
I like the Plano box, you can pick them up for few bucks and I often just play the tokens right out of the box.

mercviper

I like the Plano box, you can pick them up for few bucks and I often just play the tokens right out of the box.

Do you shuffle the tokens when you tear down then? That's really the only thing I see that's inconvenient about the plano box.

Edit: also curious, what's the random d6 for?

Do you shuffle the tokens when you tear down then? That's really the only thing I see that's inconvenient about the plano box.

Edit: also curious, what's the random d6 for?

Yes, I shuffled the tokens before I started a new game and then line them up slanted side way so I can just pull one out when I needed one, though if I am playing a longer game I would just stack them up next to the playmat. I used the d6 to keep track of rounds though not much need for it when playing against dummy since the unused day/night just get discard.

Faiz

My sister was like that too. Ultimately I let her borrow the game so I could get it out of her system. I like the game but there are many games to play. Seems to have worked - now when we meet up to play it's not Splendor 24/7!

I have the problem with my wife all the time. She latches onto a game and just wants to play that. She went through it with Splendor too. Burns me out so quick I often needs many months before I'm ready to play again.

Ohnonono

Got in a play of Runebound 3rd Edition last night playing solo with just one character. It was a ton of fun. Ended up actually winning mostly due to getting duel wielding and black market. I did 2 auto damage before every battle and had a good chance at going first in every battle. Also got an ability that let me exert to use my surge ability. All that together and I won on the last round before I would have been beaten. Such a fun game!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got in a play of Runebound 3rd Edition last night playing solo with just one character. It was a ton of fun. Ended up actually winning mostly due to getting duel wielding and black market. I did 2 auto damage before every battle and had a good chance at going first in every battle. Also got an ability that let me exert to use my surge ability. All that together and I won on the last round before I would have been beaten. Such a fun game!

How do you handle combat?

Finally getting into a good long Shadows of Brimstone campaign, still sour about how shitty they have treated us KS backers, but game is fun. But god damn, Fly Frog are awful with their rules and game support, they haven't updated their site in years, no official faq or errata, so many sloppy rules.

Nothing new, LNOE and all their games have been quite sloppy. They make fun games, but they are not pretty when it comes to polish.

Ohnonono

How do you handle combat?
Flip the tokens like you are supposed to then try to kill my character. It is not hard at all. You would have to purposely make dumb moves and ruin the game for yourself. I don't alter anything when I play the game solo. BGG is full of people who can't seem to work against themselves. I also play war games against myself as long as they have no hidden info. In short, play each side to the best of your ability.

Is this an issue? I thought all players played the same amount of turns.

I never find this to be the problem but some people feel that going first have big advantage because you get to collect the needed color first and get first pick of the card. I don't know it's Splendor unless you are in a tournament or something the game is so casual, just set up another game and play.

Top Bottom