• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Palmer_v1

Yeah, I hear you, and that's actually a great point with regards to the kickstarter terminology and something that had not occurred to us. The main conceit of the game is that players take on the role of scientists and splice together genetic samples to create chimeras which then battle. The game was initially just called "Chimera" however I worried there is too much fantasy baggage related to that word for it to effectively convey the scientific theme on its own. Hence the addition of project.

Thanks for the help already! You've given me something to think about before our team meeting tomorrow.

Something Dr. Moreau related, maybe? That's my first thought on reading your description here. It's Battle Royale on the Island of Doctor Moreau.

Protome

I was under the impression this was designed by Fowers. Oh well, still interested.

Yeah, I thought so too! He seems to be promoting it pretty hard though, so I'm hoping it's good.

It did seem kinda weird to think of him having a new kickstarter game this soon after the Fugitive one (which I also backed and am super excited for.)

Palmer_v1

really interested in MOM 2e. I think me and the wife will like it a lot. We really enjoy Betrayal at House before the haunt, lol.

I played two games of the first scenario this weekend and enjoyed it. App definitely cuts down on all of the prep work that is normally needed. Like the time from setting the box on the table to actively playing it is probably 5 minutes. It also speeds up the resolution of the Mythos effects, combat actions, horror checks, etc. We used an iPad for it.

I should warn you that if possibly turning into a traitor is a problem for you, this game has a mechanic that can lead to that. This isn't campaign or story spoilers, but just in case:

If you lose all of your sanity, you are randomly dealt an Insane status that may have a new win condition for you on it. Our first learning game had 4 of 5 players go Insane, while nobody did in the second game.

EYEL1NER

I was under the impression this was designed by Fowers. Oh well, still interested.
Same. I saw some ads for it on Facebook saying it was coming to KS soon and they were playing up the Paperback/Fowers connection pretty hard. I haven't played Paperback and don't know if I want to, but this game sounds kind of interesting. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe watch a couple of the videos of it later.

I know I said last week that PitchCar was the game tonight for the game night at the local store but over the weekend the store owner updated the weekly Event listing on FB, as well as the store's Game Night group page, saying that tonight's games were the DC Deckbuilding Game and Ascension. I don't think I want to play Ascension; that art is terribad. But I do like the DC Deckbuilding Game, it's a good enough DBG I guess. So I'll play that if that is what is going on tonight. The owner wasn't at the store when we decided on a game though, and he has posted random/wrong games before. So I guess I'll pitch PitchCar into my car and have it with me just in case I show up and people are like "I thought you were bringing something in." I'm also going to take Splendor in, just because. I thought about King of Tokyo but I don't enjoy the game with three players and I have a feeling that is what we'll wind up with again.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Something Dr. Moreau related, maybe? That's my first thought on reading your description here. It's Battle Royale on the Island of Doctor Moreau.

I love this description and I think you're definitely on to something there.

From my own observations, some of the most effective and memorable board game titles are ones that express the main action of the game. For example:

Some obvious action-word examples:
"Survive: Escape From Atlantis"
"Escape: the Curse of the Temple"
"Twilight Struggle"
"Panic on Wall Street"
"Race for the Galaxy"
"Innovation (as in, to innovate)"

Of course, many games don't follow this and do fine. There are names that describe more so an interesting setting, like a specific time or place:

Carcassonne
King of Tokyo
Puerto Rico
K2
Shadows Over Camelot

As well titles that use more abstract settings, with words that give you a concept you can picture immediately:

Dead of Winter
Forbidden Desert
Eclipse
Fields of Green
Claustrophobia
Nations

So maybe your title can evoke a setting that people will immediately get a picture of. Or maybe you want to evoke the main action of the game.

Yeah, you're making a fair amount of sense. I think we're going to want to have a big brainstorming session for this as I want to nail down a site url and snag a Twitter and all that jazz as soon as possible.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
I love this description and I think you're definitely on to something there.

Yeah, you're making a fair amount of sense. I think we're going to want to have a big brainstorming session for this as I want to nail down a site url and snag a Twitter and all that jazz as soon as possible.

I can see snagging Twitter but aren't URLs taken for mostly everything single word game leaving combo names like Survive Escape from Atlantis? not an easy dot com to remember. Are boardgames putting URLs under publisher or are we seeing unique URLs for games like SurviveTheGame.com or ChimeraTheGame.com?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Anyone who has played with the Strikers expansion in BattleCON, do you only get to use the assists once per battle? Or do they like go in your discard pile and cycle like other attacks.

You coulda asked.

I go to Game Market every year, and know the guys who own Role and Roll.

So jealous, I went there last year and had a ton of fun. Wish I could afford to go there again. The themes, size and art style there resonated a lot more with me than your typical Queen Games.

Do you usually go in fall or spring?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just finished reading the rules for Runebound. The first read of combat seems simple enough, but it seems like it's almost tacked on to involve more players and make combat a bit more Descent like. Seems fine for the moment. The other changes are definitely enticing, though.

EYEL1NER

Anyone who has played with the Strikers expansion in BattleCON, do you only get to use the assists once per battle? Or do they like go in your discard pile and cycle like other attacks.
I've never played with Strikers (hell, I've yet to even play with the arenas), but here's an excerpt from the rules sheet in my Strikers box:

"After a Striker is used in any of these ways, it goes to the discard pile with the attack pair it was played with (if you used your Striker's 'S' power, this means you'll have an extra style at your disposal for a few beats). The Striker can be used once it returns to your hand after a normal cycle through your discards."

So you had it right in the latter half of your post.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've never played with Strikers (hell, I've yet to even play with the arenas), but here's an excerpt from the rules sheet in my Strikers box:

"After a Striker is used in any of these ways, it goes to the discard pile with the attack pair it was played with (if you used your Striker's 'S' power, this means you'll have an extra style at your disposal for a few beats). The Striker can be used once it returns to your hand after a normal cycle through your discards."

So you had it right in the latter half of your post.

Yea I heard the core box is all kinds of replayable even before adding any of the variants. I wouldn't have gotten the 2 extra sets if it wasn't part of the package deal. Can't wait to play it.

Dreavus

Yea I heard the core box is all kinds of replayable even before adding any of the variants. I wouldn't have gotten the 2 extra sets if it wasn't part of the package deal. Can't wait to play it.

If you get a chance with strikers let us know how it goes. I've got pretty much everything but haven't tried that variant yet either, lol. There so much in there.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So jealous, I went there last year and had a ton of fun. Wish I could afford to go there again. The themes, size and art style there resonated a lot more with me than your typical Queen Games.

Do you usually go in fall or spring?

Spring.

Fall is way too busy for us.

Noaloha

Just finished my first game of Eldritch Horror. Played solo, using TTS with all expansions thrown in. Charlie, Lily, Trish and Jacqueline, versus Azathoth.

It went right down to the wire. Last mystery required me to close gates while the Omen track matched, which - due to board circumstances - gave me a really short window to deal with two hordes of mostly fatty monsters and successfully gate-close.

Charlie was being a beast of an investigator sat on Tokyo dealing direct damage across the globe, though he was a pitiful at acquiring assets throughout.

Managed to fulfil the requirements for the final mystery but had to also survive the Mythos Phase. That final turn's Mythos event dealt two damage to everybody (unless discarding a blessing!), killing Charlie -- advancing the Doom Track to 1 -- and *very* nearly killing Jacqueline (1 health remaining) which would have awakened Azathoth for a loss.

Loved it! And the whole thing went pretty smoothly rules-wise and with regard to pace of play.

I'll definitely be playing this again.

End of game:
18BB4690D839B486715F24AF7D85C487AD9E8D73

Noaloha

Ha, yeah, I certainly don't have a table that accommodating at home. At some point with the physical versions of these games I suspect you start requiring something like

uxbridge1.jpg

Neverfade

So in my haste to get some more App driven goodness I required Descent 2 and a few expansions and had forgotten how dog shit stupid these LOS rules are.

Has the D2 community given up the fight and just roll with the stupid or is there a popular variant?

Would it destroy balance if we just used IA's rules?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So in my haste to get some more App driven goodness I required Descent 2 and a few expansions and had forgotten how dog shit stupid these LOS rules are.

Has the D2 community given up the fight and just roll with the stupid or is there a popular variant?

Would it destroy balance if we just used IA's rules?

What's wrong with the LOS rules? I actually don't understand the hate for them. On the other hand, I don't know what the IA rules are.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In creating stupid simple rules, at least attempting too, they created more confusion as also the rules defy logic.

But how? Corner-to-corner sight with no interruption (including the targeting and targeted figure). That seems pretty simple to me in the times I've played it.

Protome

I've managed to (at least temporarily) replace Splendor at work before we all burned out on it. Today everyone was playing Portal The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game.

I hadn't played it since it originally came out, so it was nice to get it to the table again. Bit of a learning curve but lots of fun was had!

CqoGc0jWYAAmrBd.jpg:small

But how? Corner-to-corner sight with no interruption (including the targeting and targeted figure). That seems pretty simple to me in the times I've played it.

It's mainly in that it's way too simple to draw line of sight, the whole one corner to one corner thing is really lame, and in so many illogical situations a person can draw line of sight. To actually hide a figure and put them in any type of cover in D2 is almost impossible on most layouts. With primitive weapons and such, everyone is pulling off some crazy ass trick shots through terrain and around obstacles with how you just have to touch corners.

IA basically improved this by requiring a figure to do the same, but you have to draw two lines from one of the attacker corners, to two different corners. It makes alot more sense since obstacles actually work, figures can take cover behind things and block LOS, and it just is more logical for combat scenarios. After you play IA and go back to D2, it just makes D2 look stupid in it's simplicity.

IA pretty much tweaked all of D2's rules and made a better game out of the core system, and it plays just as fast.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's mainly in that it's way too simple to draw line of sight, the whole one corner to one corner thing is really lame, and in so many illogical situations a person can draw line of sight. To actually hide a figure and put them in any type of cover in D2 is almost impossible on most layouts. With primitive weapons and such, everyone is pulling off some crazy ass trick shots through terrain and around obstacles with how you just have to touch corners.

IA basically improved this by requiring a figure to do the same, but you have to draw two lines from one of the attacker corners, to two different corners. It makes alot more sense since obstacles actually work, figures can take cover behind things and block LOS, and it just is more logical for combat scenarios. After you play IA and go back to D2, it just makes D2 look stupid in it's simplicity.

IA pretty much tweaked all of D2's rules and made a better game out of the core system, and it plays just as fast.

That's fair. I haven't played IA so I wasn't sure how LOS worked there.

Have people tried to play D2 with the IA LOS rules with success?

UCBooties

Just finished my first game of Eldritch Horror. Played solo, using TTS with all expansions thrown in. Charlie, Lily, Trish and Jacqueline, versus Azathoth.

It went right down to the wire. Last mystery required me to close gates while the Omen track matched, which - due to board circumstances - gave me a really short window to deal with two hordes of mostly fatty monsters and successfully gate-close.

Charlie was being a beast of an investigator sat on Tokyo dealing direct damage across the globe, though he was a pitiful at acquiring assets throughout.

Managed to fulfil the requirements for the final mystery but had to also survive the Mythos Phase. That final turn's Mythos event dealt two damage to everybody (unless discarding a blessing!), killing Charlie -- advancing the Doom Track to 1 -- and *very* nearly killing Jacqueline (1 health remaining) which would have awakened Azathoth for a loss.

Loved it! And the whole thing went pretty smoothly rules-wise and with regard to pace of play.

I'll definitely be playing this again.

End of game:

Eldritch definitely seems to be balanced for closer games that Arkham. My group had essentially gotten to the point where we ran Arkham Horror as a sort of Safari for hunting eldritch abominations. Eldritch Horror does a much better job of keeping things unbalanced and always on the edge of spinning out of control. At this point I think we've still lost more Eldritch Horror games than we've won.

That's fair. I haven't played IA so I wasn't sure how LOS worked there.

Have people tried to play D2 with the IA LOS rules with success?

I'm sure folks have, no idea. IA pretty much replaced D2 when it came out for us.

Was considering doing D2 again eventually cause of the APP addition for playing without overlord, but then IA is getting one too.... so D2 might be going into a trade/sell pile soon

I just cannot pay MSRP for board games. Sorry brick & mortar and mom and pop shops, but I just cannot pull the trigger. When online shops have huge % off, the money adds up way too fast. I can't even buy a $25 game knowing it's $16 online. I'll wait the 2 days for delivery.

I just cannot pay MSRP for board games. Sorry brick & mortar and mom and pop shops, but I just cannot pull the trigger. When online shops have huge % off, the money adds up way too fast. I can't even buy a $25 game knowing it's $16 online. I'll wait the 2 days for delivery.

I buy small games locally when I visit a shop I like, but for any 30 or higher, I'm getting it online.

And any type of miniature is usually overpriced at MSRP, so that comes from online, not paying 15 bucks for a tiny plastic fig

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Don't post that on any of the other forums out there because people get super shitty about this.

But I'm with you. I don't buy anything from the LGS because the owner is the worst. I (and MANY other locals) refuse to support him. Even if he wasn't a piece of trash, I'd still limit myself to small purchases due to MSRP and other fun markups some shop owners throw in. It's probably why most other shops in the Indy area are primarily MtG hubs.

Don't post that on any of the other forums out there because people get super shitty about this.

But I'm with you. I don't buy anything from the LGS because the owner is the worst. I (and MANY other locals) refuse to support him. Even if he wasn't a piece of trash, I'd still limit myself to small purchases due to MSRP and other fun markups some shop owners throw in. It's probably why most other shops in the Indy area are primarily MtG hubs.

This. I bought all three of the dnd core rule books for 80. At local shop, I'd spend 150.

Blizzard

Banned
I sometimes buy from the local shop because they're decent people I want to support, and the prices aren't that bad.

If they were jerks OR if the prices were crazy high, I'd go online only.

I usually buy my board games in $100-150 bulk orders. I go to a site and start looking over my lists and build an order. I usually flesh out the order with expansions for games I already own. So, I'm used to starting with the money and working my way down. It's about getting the most for my money, and with this hobby the difference can be pretty staggering depending on where you buy. It doesn't help that I started and continue to do the vast amount of my board game shopping online where every game is discounted to one extent or another. Actually seeing nothing but a wall of MSRP is the very definition of sticker shock. I just stand there shaking my head with my jaw on the floor.

Chorazin

I'm the same way 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I'm at Gen Con or Origins, or just happen to see a OOP game at a store and can't resist the impulse buy.

Yeah, same. I feel kinda bad but the savings really pile up when you're talking games that are $60 or so.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I usually buy my board games in $100-150 bulk orders. I go to a site and start looking over my lists and build an order. I usually flesh out the order with expansions for games I already own. So, I'm used to starting with the money and working my way down. It's about getting the most for my money, and with this hobby the difference can be pretty staggering depending on where you buy. It doesn't help that I started and continue to do the vast amount of my board game shopping online where every game is discounted to one extent or another. Actually seeing nothing but a wall of MSRP is the very definition of sticker shock. I just stand there shaking my head with my jaw on the floor.

Yeah it's insane. We have a couple stores here (Game Kastle) that are really nice and my wife and I might actually go to one and buy a game there just to take advantage of their nice open-gaming area. But otherwise it's really hard to justify. I don't feel bad not supporting though because I think the whole industry needs a reset to focus more on what people will actually pay for (like gaming cafes).

Ohnonono

I buy about 50-50. I bought MoM 2nd edition and Falling Sky for sticker price. Great games but yeah I could have saved a ton there.

JesseZao

Nearly the only time I shop at my FLGS is when I have a coupon. They regularly give out 10 off 40 / 25 off 100. Usually that's close enough to what I'd pay at somewhere like CSI.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Vent moment!

I was posting in the Runebound 3e forum about the new expansions, particularly the one that's mostly all PvP focused. I called it a "big box" expansion because the box for the new story/scenario packs look bigger on FFG's website. I had multiple people correct me saying that they aren't "big box" expansions and that they are instead Scenario Packs or something. I called it out by name, Fall of the Dark Star, so it was obvious what I was talking about.

I don't know why, but it frustrates me when people don't really want to answer a question or weigh in on something...Instead, they want to be like, "It's not a big box." No real talk of my actual question or discussion - they just want to correct me on my terminology and give themselves a virtual pat on the back. *hmph*

Unrelated...

I did some digging on Descent 2.0 with IA LOS rules. People seem to like using IA LOS, but it definitely creates a different feel for combat. How do you handle melee and reach situations, particularly around corners and such?

Hi everyone. I'm just now getting into the hobby and it feels completely overwhelming how many games are out there and how seemingly all of them are various degrees of good.

Can anyone help me start my collection in the right direction by telling me what are the absolute must have have games?

Edit: More details. The games I have played and enjoyed are Bang, Dc comics deck building game, dixit, game of thrones 2nd edition.

Planning on getting those plus codenames, the resistance: Avalon and Escape: the curse of the temple, all of which I have only watched reviews.

I don't want to leave out any must have games in genres that I don't even know exist though. And I have a group of friends that would enjoy more complex games, but my family also partakes and there, fun is the most important aspect.

As for me, I like competitive games with clear winners, but as I've stated, I'm new to the wonders of board gaming, so I'm open to everything.

Hi everyone. I'm just now getting into the hobby and it feels completely overwhelming how many games are out there and how seemingly all of them are various degrees of good.

Can anyone help me start my collection in the right direction by telling me what are the absolute must have have games?

You need to provide some details before we can help you out. Like how many people will be playing, ages, themes, time commitment you have, ect. There's something for everyone out there and we'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Some people will give you examples, but you can't really start a collection without knowing something about the types of games you like.

Do you have any games you've already played and enjoyed or own? Are there certain mechanics that you're interested in exploring? Do you like competitive or cooperative games? Do you enjoy "gotcha" games or "screw everyone else" mechanics?

The common games people suggest are Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Takenoko, and Pandemic. Probably something like Dominion or Sushi Go, too. Those seem to be solid introductions without being overly difficult rules wise.

E: For what it's worth, the VERY first game I introduced to my wife was Zombie Dice. SUPER fast and simple. It was my attempt at showing her that "games" are more than just Monopoly, Trouble, Guess Who, etc.

Dreavus

I sometimes buy from the local shop because they're decent people I want to support, and the prices aren't that bad.

If they were jerks OR if the prices were crazy high, I'd go online only.

Yup, this is where I'm at too. Although I haven't picked up a game from there in a while.

I don't feel too bad because the behemoth that is TCGs keeps the place going. Huge turn outs for anything MTG related.

Top Bottom