• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Protome

My friend is going to Essen Spiel this year for his honeymoon, I'm super jealous. But he added a copy of "Cattack! No.1" to his list of preorders from Japon Brand. No idea how it plays but it looks like an adorable little game with cats playing volleyball and I'm a sucker for a pretty game.

Last year he came back with a pile of games taller than his fiance, so it'll be fun to see how he fares this year.

Having been told that I should try to be more positive at work, I bought Gloom. Something is seriously wrong with me I think LOL.

Brilliant. Gloom is also really fun with the right people (and is one of those games where I feel the expansions make it less fun rather than more.) The mechanics are simple enough that if you have some friends who get into the storytelling aspect of it it can be a laugh.

I'm interested in seeing how the digital version turns out absolutely nothing about the game seems like it would transfer to a digital format well.

JSR_Cube

Some impressions from new releases:

Vast: Fun. It is quite different from most recent games and it is nice playing a game where VP isn't the goal. I like the asymmetrical roles. It was four player and we didn't have the Thief in the game. The rules are a bit loose and I think you can see that from the BGG threads. The only other minus is that there is some downtime between turns.

Mare Nostrum Empires: We played the old one quite a bit, probably around 10 times or so and liked it. I do like the new changes quite a bit and I have the poker chips resources which were also a big hit. I didn't get the big map. Anyway, the new one feels much like the last one with a few changes to make it run a bit shorter.

zulux21

just discovered someone I talk to at the convention I go to for the past 5 years actually got published by mayfair games

I'm going to get together with him tomorrow and learn how to play his game.
It was really only a matter of time before he was published given how many games he makes, but I wasn't expecting a company as big as mayfair to pick him up.

So the problem I was told about just happened.
The games I bought fell a bit flat with my crowd. Feels bad, lol.

I bought Dixit, Dc deck building, Resistance Avalon, Codenames.

I think I need a more instantly appealing and absorbing board games in order to introduce them to the hobby. Something that they can feel invested in and feel progress as the game goes.

Maybe even more substantial as well, as games like codenames and dixit finish way too quickly for anyone to get in a real groove or get a real sense of how good board games can be.

Karkador

Banned

I think I need a more instantly appealing and absorbing board games in order to introduce them to the hobby. Something that they can feel invested in and feel progress as the game goes.

Maybe even more substantial as well, as games like codenames and dixit finish way too quickly for anyone to get in a real groove or get a real sense of how good board games can be.

Avalon didn't go well?

Splendor, Ticket to Ride, Catan are really good introductory game especially if they are not are hard core gamers. I never have any non-gamer friends and family members that I introduced Splendor or Ticket to Ride tell me that these games are boring. All of them have gone to get their own copies. Your choice of games is good but Dixit, Codesnames and Resistance are all essentially deduction game and this type of group games may be just doesn't appeal to them.

I find that set collecting type of games and having easily identifiable goal and clear path to get there make games more enjoyable to new comers.

zulux21

Splendor, Ticket to Ride, Catan are really good introductory game especially if they are not are hard core gamers. I never have any non-gamer friends and family members that I introduced Splendor or Ticket to Ride tell me that these games are boring. All of them have gone to get their own copies. Your choice of games is good but Dixit, Codesnames and Resistance are all essentially deduction game and this type of group games may be just doesn't appeal to them.

I find that set collecting and having easily identifiable goal and path to get there make game more enjoyable to new comers.

two of those three have gone horribly with non gamers for me. though part of that likely is I find ticket to ride boring (not bad as an app way to long for what it does as a board game) and Catan just not all that interesting (I enjoy machi koro much more) I haven't tried splendor with them, but I doubt it would go over very well either with the non gamers I play with from time to time.

I've had great luck with king of tokyo with non gamers and for some reason shadows over camelot.

Avalon didn't go well?
That one in particular we didn't even get a game going. Since I hadn't play it at all before, I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do to learn the game while I teach it to others. I thought I would do the game and the people there a disservice.

I also have exploding kittens, which was a gift from a friend, but that was way too thin of an experience.

Xater

I just saw that Potion Explosion is getting an expansion in Essen. Awww yes!

Castef, I know you are in here. Can you tell me if this expansion will be language independent? I only see an English release on BGG but would pick it up if the game material as no language on it.

Deduction games are great fun though.
I'm sure that with a different crowd the games would go over very well. My friends for example, who have played many games before. It just didn't go very well with my family.

I'll keep buying games, and soon enough I'll know which games work for each crowd the best.

Yeah, the only game I really love in that collection is Avalon but I've had a bad time with non gamers.

"Why do I want to lie??" " why are you lying?" How do I win? Etc.

Dixit is ok with my family.

Dominion, ticket to ride, splendor and settlers of Catan are all great "intro games"

It's hard you really never know, this same group loves Agricola and hates betrayal at house.

Bii

Yes, I started my collection with too many deduction games. Not a good representation of the variety of experiences board games offer.

Like antiquegamer suggested above, you're probably better off introducing other gateway board games to your group. I started Ticket to Ride with a few family members. They started to take the game to their friends' houses to casually play and next thing you know, we have a group of 30+ players rotating in and out playing all sorts of games. But getting them to play and enjoy that first game was crucial. Otherwise, most probably wouldn't have been interested in playing other games I've introduced.

The only games I don't play often that I want to are games like Pandemic, Forbidden Island/Desert, etc. I need the right set of people who would want to play it.

Like antiquegamer suggested above, you're probably better off introducing other gateway board games to your group. I started Ticket to Ride with a few family members. They started to take the game to their friends' houses to casually play and next thing you know, we have a group of 30+ players rotating in and out playing all sorts of games. But getting them to play and enjoy that first game was crucial. Otherwise, most probably wouldn't have been interested in playing other games I've introduced.

The only games I don't play often that I want to are games like Pandemic, Forbidden Island/Desert, etc. I need the right set of people who would want to play it.
How well does Ticket to Ride translate to playing with non casual players? That games has been suggested the most for introduction purposes.

What turned you off to the game zulux?

How well does Ticket to Ride translate to playing with non casual players? That games has been suggested the most for introduction purposes.

There are several digital version you can try, Ticket to Ride is essentially gin and rummy, you collect cards and they put them down (in the form of little plastic trains) and connect them to complete a route. Each turn you only have 3 options (another thing that I find a must for non-gaming peeps, simple rules and not a tons of options), you get train cards, lay down your cards or get more route.

Splendor is a nice gateway to engine building game. Each turn you collect color gem chips and then when you have enough you buy a card which in turn give you essentially a permanent gem "chip" that you then can used to buy a more expensive cards that also give you points and you just keep going until someone score 16 points.

Xater

I don't think I know anyone who dislikes Ticket to Ride. It's the kind of gateway game that works for everyone I think.

JesseZao

I'm happy to play TtR:Europe if with a more uninitiated crowd, but if I'm with other hardcore gamers, we're going to be playing new releases or bringing deeper games to the table.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't think I know anyone who dislikes Ticket to Ride. It's the kind of gateway game that works for everyone I think.

Haha yeah. I've probably played TTR with 30+ people by now and I think maybe two disliked it. The one was someone who "didn't really like board games" and was sort of hostile to the whole situation (per my wife) and they played 5p which tbh isn't totally ideal for a casual group since it can run a bit long. The other was my dad who was obsessed with RFTG at that point and my parents when they like a game forget trying to teach them anything else...they just want to play that.

With non-casuals though it varies. I don't really bust out TTR at a game night unless I think everyone's on board. To be fair usually everyone is, but I don't take it as a given hit like I do with casuals.

That one in particular we didn't even get a game going. Since I hadn't play it at all before, I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do to learn the game while I teach it to others. I thought I would do the game and the people there a disservice.

I also have exploding kittens, which was a gift from a friend, but that was way too thin of an experience.
This is definitely a problem though. For a game night with anyone but your most hardcore friends, who will literally sit there while you read rules at them, and help figure out how they work in practice, you need to learn the rules beforehand and not at the table. For casuals, muddling through rules is absolutely miserable. I will actually usually read rules, check BGG rules forums, and even print out player aids if needed. Even for light/medium games. One tip on player aids though that I've learned over time -- usually it's better (especially with casuals) not to hand them out until after you've taught the game. I've found people can get intimidated/distracted by them.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not a fan of it. I only play it if there are light gamers who can't / don't want to handle anything else.

It feels fairly random and mean to me with blocking routes, and I probably usually do badly which also makes me dislike it. :p

zulux21

oh, it was the pacing. the pacing in the board game version is very slow and boring. Like I didn't hate it, but I sure didn't like it when I played it.

The digital version of the game is alright though, I will actually play it every once in a while as it shaves like 75% of the gameplay time off of it. With the physical version you have everyone taking forever to slowly figure out routes to their cities, and counting points and what not. on the digital version you just have to highlight a card and it will show you the two cities making it super easy to figure out the routes and points are all done by the computer so you don't have to worry about those either.

as a 15 minute game (digital version) it's a decent time waster, wind down game. As an hour long game (physical version) it's just kind of a chore to play.

pretty much my entire gaming group hates Catan though lol.

I've had good luck introducing people to stuff like forbidden island though as since it is co op it's easy to get people to just slowly figure out how it works and they don't feel bad when they lose because everyone lost.

that all being said, if you have access to the games like ticket to ride and Catan by all means give them a go. they are classics for a reason and not everyone likes the same things. I tend to prefer non euro games as I prefer more chance elements in my games since skill imbalance can be a huge issue with eurogames where it is mostly stratagy and my group is not remotely all on the same skill level.

if i had a different group closer in skill level I would likely enjoy euro games a lot more.

Was looking forward to Cry Havoc for a while, but now seeing what Inis has the offer, I'm thinking that one is more up my alley. It feels similar enough (area control, diceless combat system that's more about choices) but each have their own different takes too (factions versus card drafting).

So many good games out there these days.

Dreavus

Welp looks like BattleCON is our favorite game now. RIP other games they had a good run.

Haha nice!

I played it with another new player last night, he immediately took to Magedelina and loved the playstyle of leveling up and becoming stronger and stronger. Makes it into an interesting game for me as his opponent, because once he hits about level 3-4 his stats get SO good, so it was all about trying to catch dashes and avoid his "safety" style when trying to hit big (I was playing Vanaah).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So Runebound 3e showed up yesterday and I got a play in. My thoughts and review! Beware the walls of text below.

====

This isn't the Runebound I know and love. It's a different game set in the Runebound world. I definitely enjoyed the game, but consider this my disclaimer to anyone who actually liked 2e (I feel like I'm in the minority there) looking to get 3e as a way to relive the magic. During the entire course of the game, I couldn't help but think, "It looks like water but tastes like sprite." However, upon mulling over my experience, I'm happy to say the game is a keeper. Keep in mind that I played solo.

First and foremost, I have to comment on the major elephant in the game - combat. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It's sort of lukewarm at the moment. 2e revolved around equipment and leveling up your traits to become more effective in combat. Over the course of the game, you could get to the point where you actually felt super powerful. In my first play of 3e, I felt like every battle was a real test of wits. Some people probably enjoy that, but I tend to like climbing the power ladder and feeling like it's paid off. I realize that I only saw some of the gear and only got access to a few of the skills, so I can't say with 100% certainty how it's going to feel after future plays.

Combat is done by casting tokens. I immediately became frustrated with this system when my first cast resulted in tokens rolling on their edge off the table. Dice don't do that. I tried a few various methods of casting only to discover that you can't prevent this. It is bound to happen at some point no matter what. The only guaranteed "solution" is casting into the lid or into a contained rolling tray.

The combat itself isn't actually too bad to handle solo. Note that my complaints here may be due to the fact that I know what I'm thinking. So optimal plays are muuuuch harder - I can think of what my reaction to my reaction to my reaction will be. That's dangerous! There are usually a few obvious moves, but there are times when I was overthinking and causing myself to stress over a relatively simple fight. With no hidden information, this is the sort of thing that would happen in a multiplayer game, too, but to a much lesser extent. 2e combat was a LOT faster than 3e in that regard. The major culprits were when I could do things like flip opposing tokens. Multiple times I spent 5+ minutes on a single round of combat playing out the scenario in my head. It's usually something as simple as how to fairly play the surge to try and drag the combat on as long as possible...Because really, that's what's going to make or break the combat. If the hero has to spend 4 rounds of combat fighting even a simple enemy, that means turns will be spent having to heal and waste actions thus bringing the villain one step closer to victory. Killing the hero was very tough to do in one quick motion, but bleeding him out seemed to be successful.

For example, in my villain fight, I spent maybe 10 minutes going over how to the fight should move forward. The villain had enough skulls (with a doubler) to hit for 9. However, the hero had initiative and could spend a surge to flip all the villain tokens. Doing this would allow the villain to possibly heal 3 damage and prolong combat, as well as force the hero to flip with the newly revealed surges. By doing that, the hero would now have defense dice to use which would mean damage would be prevented, but that the villain would take no damage as a result. Or, back to step one, the hero could ignore the surge option to flip enemy tokens, double the defense dice and then spend a once per combat ability to hit for 4 (unblockable) and be maybe one turn away from winning. The shields + armor + skills means the hero should only take about 4 damage from the original 9.

I know that sounds convoluted, and it kind of is. That's the sort of issue you're going to face during combat. Having to make "optimal decisions" based off of what you know your reaction to a reaction will be makes it hard to play it fairly. You could literally spend 30+ minutes analyzing outcomes and determining how to best defeat the hero or villain considering the way it plays. The solution to this is probably to make a quick decision and stick with it instead of thinking of every possible outcome. The combat is easily the most divisive aspect of 3e, and the single-fight example above shows why people are so unsure of how to feel about it. While 2e was sort of a dice fest, at least it didn't require you to solve a Rubik's Cube every fight.

So more on combat - skills, abilities, and items are obviously a HUGE part of it. But one of the things that makes combat feel anti-climactic is that a number of the abilities I earned and had access to were "once per combat". Not once per combat round, but total combat. That's the sort of thing that made me feel "weak". Like, I had these cool skills, but it was a one and done thing. Even my defensive options were limited to once per combat. My opinion on this may change after multiple plays, so we'll see. That said, I did like that gear gave you new tokens. That was a cool addition, and it was a nice twist on how 2e handled equipment.

The turn itself felt similar enough to 2e. Moving around the board was refreshing and the sticker dice were nice to look at. Having variable speed gives each hero a unique flair to look for when choosing who to play as. I'd argue that mobility is the most important character trait in the entire game (more later). The game having a built in Doom Track was also nice, and the story events were a really cool addition. I also enjoyed Quests for the most part.

BUT!

Story events and quests have a HUGE flaw in them. I had 3 incomplete quests at the end of the game. It felt like an incredible waste of a turn when I spent 2 actions to adventure and got a quest on the opposite side of the board. There was no way to complete that quest, complete story events, AND adventure to get stronger. I love the way quests work in that you have to go explore a certain spot to benefit from it, but I wish there were a way to move around faster. Story quests suffered the same fate - they popped up all around the board and I simply couldn't reach them to get the lore tokens necessary to approach end game with any sort of confidence. That's why I feel like mobility is the most important thing. Being able to get around the board is CRUCIAL to success. I physically could not get to the quests AND work on getting lore tokens AND battle to get trophies to get stronger. It feels like there are a ton of things you NEED to do but only so many things you CAN do. I fully respect the idea of having to budget your actions and manage your time, but considering how important skills and items are to your success, it feels like you end up skipping whole mechanics of the game in the interest of efficiency.

Another unique aspect of the game was the skill deck. It acts as your stamina, a way of building your hero, and a way to test attributes. The way you exert is cool as it definitely encourages you and gives you a way to play your turns with more creativity. I loved being able to exert during tests or when exploring to get that one extra success. I also loved how you could exert during combat to introduce a fun and unique organic choice. I also like the way you use skills to grow your character. Until I've played a LOT more games, I won't have a huge feel for the variety and flexibility offered. But I know that what I did use offered me some neat options (+1 damage when I engaged an enemy, +2 body, the option to use body for skill checks). The way you test attributes is interesting. I prefer the way 2e handles it with a rolled skill check, but I also like that this method is incorporated into the core gameplay of cycling through skills. It works for the systems the game has setup.

A few other miscellaneous thoughts...Resting for free is awesome and the way you rest is so damn simple. I wish there were a mechanic for shopping at any town (like buy stuff in any town for an added cost) because of how hard it is to get around the world. I'm sad that one of the expansions is purely PvP - I have to buy it for the hero, but I'll probably never play it because I don't like PvP. I appreciate that the scenario changes itself up and offers unique replayability even if I complain about story quests being crazy spread out.

====

tl;dr - The game is good. I think people who loved 2e will have a hard time loving 3e at first, but it at least deserves a chance. Hands down, the BIGGEST hurdle is going to be the way that the combat feels for you or your group. 3e combat is VERY different and will definitely turn people away; solo or group, the way combat gets handled just feels too much like a different game from what 2e was (for better or worse). Quests are a neat addition, the skill system offers MUCH more unique character development than 2e did, and the way equipment enhances combat is very cool.

sasimirobot

Whats the deal with board game prices on amazon.com?

Bought Netrunner for 25$US with 6$ shipping to Asia, and now a couple of friends I taught it to want me to order more for them but the price jumped up to 40$. WTF?

Is there any way to track the prices for things on Amazon and get notifications when the its at a price you are interested in paying? Also why the huge bump? Is it because it's between printings, supply and demand, taking the piss?

fenners

Whats the deal with board game prices on amazon.com?

Bought Netrunner for 25$US with 6$ shipping to Asia, and now a couple of friends I taught it to want me to order more for them but the price jumped up to 40$. WTF?

Is there any way to track the prices for things on Amazon and get notifications when the its at a price you are interested in paying? Also why the huge bump? Is it because it's between printings, supply and demand, taking the piss?

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

$40 is the RRP. Just supply/demand I guess. Other online retailers have it for their normal $30 or so.

Ohnonono

So Runebound 3e showed up yesterday and I got a play in. My thoughts and review! Beware the walls of text below.

====

This isn't the Runebound I know and love. It's a different game set in the Runebound world. I definitely enjoyed the game, but consider this my disclaimer to anyone who actually liked 2e (I feel like I'm in the minority there) looking to get 3e as a way to relive the magic. During the entire course of the game, I couldn't help but think, "It looks like water but tastes like sprite." However, upon mulling over my experience, I'm happy to say the game is a keeper. Keep in mind that I played solo.

First and foremost, I have to comment on the major elephant in the game - combat. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It's sort of lukewarm at the moment. 2e revolved around equipment and leveling up your traits to become more effective in combat. Over the course of the game, you could get to the point where you actually felt super powerful. In my first play of 3e, I felt like every battle was a real test of wits. Some people probably enjoy that, but I tend to like climbing the power ladder and feeling like it's paid off. I realize that I only saw some of the gear and only got access to a few of the skills, so I can't say with 100% certainty how it's going to feel after future plays.

Combat is done by casting tokens. I immediately became frustrated with this system when my first cast resulted in tokens rolling on their edge off the table. Dice don't do that. I tried a few various methods of casting only to discover that you can't prevent this. It is bound to happen at some point no matter what. The only guaranteed "solution" is casting into the lid or into a contained rolling tray.

The combat itself isn't actually too bad to handle solo. Note that my complaints here may be due to the fact that I know what I'm thinking. So optimal plays are muuuuch harder - I can think of what my reaction to my reaction to my reaction will be. That's dangerous! There are usually a few obvious moves, but there are times when I was overthinking and causing myself to stress over a relatively simple fight. With no hidden information, this is the sort of thing that would happen in a multiplayer game, too, but to a much lesser extent. 2e combat was a LOT faster than 3e in that regard. The major culprits were when I could do things like flip opposing tokens. Multiple times I spent 5+ minutes on a single round of combat playing out the scenario in my head. It's usually something as simple as how to fairly play the surge to try and drag the combat on as long as possible...Because really, that's what's going to make or break the combat. If the hero has to spend 4 rounds of combat fighting even a simple enemy, that means turns will be spent having to heal and waste actions thus bringing the villain one step closer to victory. Killing the hero was very tough to do in one quick motion, but bleeding him out seemed to be successful.

For example, in my villain fight, I spent maybe 10 minutes going over how to the fight should move forward. The villain had enough skulls (with a doubler) to hit for 9. However, the hero had initiative and could spend a surge to flip all the villain tokens. Doing this would allow the villain to possibly heal 3 damage and prolong combat, as well as force the hero to flip with the newly revealed surges. By doing that, the hero would now have defense dice to use which would mean damage would be prevented, but that the villain would take no damage as a result. Or, back to step one, the hero could ignore the surge option to flip enemy tokens, double the defense dice and then spend a once per combat ability to hit for 4 (unblockable) and be maybe one turn away from winning. The shields + armor + skills means the hero should only take about 4 damage from the original 9.

I know that sounds convoluted, and it kind of is. That's the sort of issue you're going to face during combat. Having to make "optimal decisions" based off of what you know your reaction to a reaction will be makes it hard to play it fairly. You could literally spend 30+ minutes analyzing outcomes and determining how to best defeat the hero or villain considering the way it plays. The solution to this is probably to make a quick decision and stick with it instead of thinking of every possible outcome. The combat is easily the most divisive aspect of 3e, and the single-fight example above shows why people are so unsure of how to feel about it. While 2e was sort of a dice fest, at least it didn't require you to solve a Rubik's Cube every fight.

So more on combat - skills, abilities, and items are obviously a HUGE part of it. But one of the things that makes combat feel anti-climactic is that a number of the abilities I earned and had access to were "once per combat". Not once per combat round, but total combat. That's the sort of thing that made me feel "weak". Like, I had these cool skills, but it was a one and done thing. Even my defensive options were limited to once per combat. My opinion on this may change after multiple plays, so we'll see. That said, I did like that gear gave you new tokens. That was a cool addition, and it was a nice twist on how 2e handled equipment.

The turn itself felt similar enough to 2e. Moving around the board was refreshing and the sticker dice were nice to look at. Having variable speed gives each hero a unique flair to look for when choosing who to play as. I'd argue that mobility is the most important character trait in the entire game (more later). The game having a built in Doom Track was also nice, and the story events were a really cool addition. I also enjoyed Quests for the most part.

BUT!

Story events and quests have a HUGE flaw in them. I had 3 incomplete quests at the end of the game. It felt like an incredible waste of a turn when I spent 2 actions to adventure and got a quest on the opposite side of the board. There was no way to complete that quest, complete story events, AND adventure to get stronger. I love the way quests work in that you have to go explore a certain spot to benefit from it, but I wish there were a way to move around faster. Story quests suffered the same fate - they popped up all around the board and I simply couldn't reach them to get the lore tokens necessary to approach end game with any sort of confidence. That's why I feel like mobility is the most important thing. Being able to get around the board is CRUCIAL to success. I physically could not get to the quests AND work on getting lore tokens AND battle to get trophies to get stronger. It feels like there are a ton of things you NEED to do but only so many things you CAN do. I fully respect the idea of having to budget your actions and manage your time, but considering how important skills and items are to your success, it feels like you end up skipping whole mechanics of the game in the interest of efficiency.

Another unique aspect of the game was the skill deck. It acts as your stamina, a way of building your hero, and a way to test attributes. The way you exert is cool as it definitely encourages you and gives you a way to play your turns with more creativity. I loved being able to exert during tests or when exploring to get that one extra success. I also loved how you could exert during combat to introduce a fun and unique organic choice. I also like the way you use skills to grow your character. Until I've played a LOT more games, I won't have a huge feel for the variety and flexibility offered. But I know that what I did use offered me some neat options (+1 damage when I engaged an enemy, +2 body, the option to use body for skill checks). The way you test attributes is interesting. I prefer the way 2e handles it with a rolled skill check, but I also like that this method is incorporated into the core gameplay of cycling through skills. It works for the systems the game has setup.

A few other miscellaneous thoughts...Resting for free is awesome and the way you rest is so damn simple. I wish there were a mechanic for shopping at any town (like buy stuff in any town for an added cost) because of how hard it is to get around the world. I'm sad that one of the expansions is purely PvP - I have to buy it for the hero, but I'll probably never play it because I don't like PvP. I appreciate that the scenario changes itself up and offers unique replayability even if I complain about story quests being crazy spread out.

====

tl;dr - The game is good. I think people who loved 2e will have a hard time loving 3e at first, but it at least deserves a chance. Hands down, the BIGGEST hurdle is going to be the way that the combat feels for you or your group. 3e combat is VERY different and will definitely turn people away; solo or group, the way combat gets handled just feels too much like a different game from what 2e was (for better or worse). Quests are a neat addition, the skill system offers MUCH more unique character development than 2e did, and the way equipment enhances combat is very cool.

Nice review! I feel pretty much the same. I really like the feel of getting a token for equipment though, feels very tangible. Also any ability that lets you shop easier or move faster is a big deal in my plays so far. Black Market is nuts. Also wizard mans skill that lets you exert to move 3 hexes after getting a trophy is really good. I can totally see your point on never feeling super powerful. I think it is better for game balance but for sure the story teller in me wants to nuke stuff.

Saerk

Anyone have some good board game recommendations that I can play on the iPad with my Girlfriend? Didn't think I'd like playing board games on the iPad, but it's actually really convenient. These should be games that are viable as 2 players, and they can't have too many rules, or she tends to lose interest.

So far she really likes Carcassone and Ticket to Ride, but didn't much care for Small World. I also have Agricola and Lords of Waterdeep, but I haven't introduced her to them as of yet.

Thanks for the Runebound impression, I actually was looking at the game yesterday. I already have so many adventure games and dungeon exploring games in my collection so I am not sure if I want to add another game. It does look interesting but I am not sure if I am entirely sold on the pog battle.

My daughter and I played Hit Z Road yesterday. It's a new zombie road trip game by Martin Wallace and while I am not a big fan of his games I do enjoy them. This one was pretty fun at first bite (sorry) but we played about three times and by the third times we feel that the game was becoming very predictable. You bid your resources (which are bottle caps shape tokens) which give you the turn order priority and then you pick where you want to go. For 2 players there are three lane you can choose from each lane is made up of two cards. The cards usually give you resource but some trigger event and some you have to fight off zombies. The goal is to get to the end of the deck of cards and not loose all your survivors and have the most resource. Some card give you victory points also. We only play 2-players and feel like most game with bidding mechanic you really need 4 to make the game shine. The game has wonderful components and artwork. The game itself was suppose to be made by a teenage on his road trip during the apocalypse and he used various card games (you will spot some Easter Egg in the game) and the bottle caps for token. The game is like most Space Cowboy game is well made. We enjoyed the game but I would only recommended it if you are big fan of his game and can consistently get 4 players to the table.

Anyone have some good board game recommendations that I can play on the iPad with my Girlfriend? Didn't think I'd like playing board games on the iPad, but it's actually really convenient. These should be games that are viable as 2 players, and they can't have too many rules, or she tends to lose interest.

So far she really likes Carcassone and Ticket to Ride, but didn't much care for Small World. I also have Agricola and Lords of Waterdeep, but I haven't introduced her to them as of yet.

Splendor and Patchwork.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Feld is such a magnificent bastard. I've been sitting on Bruges for about a year -- just never had the chance to bust it out, and finally got to play it yesterday 2p w/ my wife (which I don't think that player count is even ideal, unlike Castles of Burgundy) and that game is just fantastic. I don't know how he overcomes such godawful themes, and pasted on no less, to make such engaging experiences. The only somewhat close comparison I can think of is Knizia on his best day.

The game is the usual "point salad" game in that there are a lot of different actions you can take, all of which net you various points. But the hook is that your hand of cards dictates everything. So in addition to being a "Person" you can play into your tableau to give you special abilities, points, etc., a card can get you workers, money, build canals, etc. In the hands of a less thoughtful designer it would be a mess, but not Feld. I love Castles of Burgundy with 2, but this will be a go-to for 3-4 when I have a more Euro crowd. Next up in a few months probably is Trajan, another one I've been sitting on for a little while.

XShagrath

I used to be a Feld fanatic. I would blindly buy any game he designed and have nine of his titles in my collection. However, his last few titles haven't hooked me quite as quickly. I was really meh on Aquasphere after one play, and passed on La Isla due to what I felt was a much lighter experience. Amerigo is alright, but not close to being my favorite either.

That being said, I still absolutely love Castles of Burgundy, Trajan and Bora Bora. Macao is also really great.

I've slowed down my buying a lot in the last year, as I have so many games I've only played once or twice. I'm trying to be much more selective in my purchases now.

swoon

I used to be a Feld fanatic. I would blindly buy any game he designed and have nine of his titles in my collection. However, his last few titles haven't hooked me quite as quickly. I was really meh on Aquasphere after one play, and passed on La Isla due to what I felt was a much lighter experience. Amerigo is alright, but not close to being my favorite either.

That being said, I still absolutely love Castles of Burgundy, Trajan and Bora Bora. Macao is also really great.

I've slowed down my buying a lot in the last year, as I have so many games I've only played once or twice. I'm trying to be much more selective in my purchases now.

i would def go back to Aquasphere - really shines in its depth and strategy after a few plays.

Karkador

Banned
Finally won my first (basic-level) game of Sylvion last night. I had only played Urbion before starting this game, and I liked it well enough - but this one is excellent. Probably one of the most satisfying solos I've ever played. There seems to be so much game in the box, too, as now I will add in the advanced game stuff, and the included expansions later on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One other random update from the weekend is that I went to the new Game Kastle store in Mountain View and my goodness is it amazing. Absolutely gigantic and they have dozens of tables for open play in addition to a friendly staff. I bought an Arkham dice bag just for fun and asked the guy if you could just bring your own games to play and he said 100%. So contrary to my original feelings I might actually go to this place once a month or so just to play games w/ my wife and maybe pick up a game or knick-knack here or there to support them.

Mr E.

My favourite Feld is Castles of Burgundy (would love to see an upgraded version). Then Trajan

My favourite non Feld but could be classed as a Feld is Rokoko. Deck building, Area majority, Multiple paths to Victory etc. Very good game. Expansion just released and acquired but not played yet.

Played a couple of games this weekend.

- Food Chain Magnate: The hype is real, game is really good. Every single turn was tense and entertaining. Played 4p, ended up second. Milestones are so OP and fun to get.

- Potion Explosion: Fun, too prone to AP for what it is but I still liked it. Great work Castef. I was not a fan of the game end trigger, red and yellow marbles are too similar for colorblind people like me. Everything else was cool.

- Loony Quest: Super fun, easy to recommend to anyone.

Karkador

Banned
Played a couple of games this weekend.

- Food Chain Magnate: The hype is real, game is really good. Every single turn was tense and entertaining. Played 4p, ended up second. Milestones are so OP and fun to get.

It really is a great game. Really refreshing for a eurogame, too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice review! I feel pretty much the same. I really like the feel of getting a token for equipment though, feels very tangible. Also any ability that lets you shop easier or move faster is a big deal in my plays so far. Black Market is nuts. Also wizard mans skill that lets you exert to move 3 hexes after getting a trophy is really good. I can totally see your point on never feeling super powerful. I think it is better for game balance but for sure the story teller in me wants to nuke stuff.

Skills like Black Market are the sort of things that I think will make one character run away with it. Being able to shop anywhere means you can effectively ignore a huge mechanic. We'll see how it pans out if and when I start to draw and incorporate that into my rotation of skills.

Thanks for the Runebound impression, I actually was looking at the game yesterday. I already have so many adventure games and dungeon exploring games in my collection so I am not sure if I want to add another game. It does look interesting but I am not sure if I am entirely sold on the pog battle.

Glad to help. The way Runebound plays is unlike your traditional adventure game and nothing like a dungeon crawl. The map being a big grid of hexes that you can freely navigate means you have a lot more general freedom. After a few plays, I'm going to test a house rule that says roll 5 dice to move and a number of dice equal to your speed stat for any other movement dice related roll.

E: I actually posted to BGG in hopes that some people test my idea out and comment:

• Similar to 2e, movement will be done with all 5 movement dice, unless you are wounded. If you choose to take a move action and have wounds on your hero, you roll 4 movement dice instead. You may not exert to re-roll movement dice for movement purposes. Any bonuses to speed for movement purposes only are ignored. It is 5 or 4 always.
  • In the unfortunate case of rolling no possible moves, you may still choose to move 1 hex in any direction of your choosing.
  • Whenever you are instructed to roll movement dice for any other reason (quests, rewards, exploration, etc) you use your speed stat per RAW.
  • Adventuring costs 1 action instead of 2.

E2: A number of people are telling me this will break the game. I fail to see how, so I'm still thinking of trying it out.

Protome

You could give Boss Monster a go. I've not played the digital version much myself, but I do enjoy the physical game quite a bit.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Figured out if you play 4 player 2v2 battleCON in an arena you are basically playing smash bros. 10/10 game 2muchcontent4me

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Another game of Runebound tonight, this time with Master Thorn.

A few things of note!

• This game took me somewhere between 90-120 minutes as I wasn't looking at the rules outside of very specific situations (the reference book was quick and painless looking up).
  • I feel like I spoke too soon on the movement thing. Once you realize that you need to focus on roads to move around the map, you can get places a LOT quicker. I actually did explore quests and Story Quests all over the map on purpose just to see how it played out.
  • Exerting is super important. This game played out a lot differently than my last one thanks to +1 hand size (5 cards). Exerting for movement, combat, and tests makes a world of difference.
  • I only did 2 combat adventures this entire game and still won the final battle. I'm a HUGE fan of the fact that it's possible to do that. I focused on Social and Exploration adventures, running Combat adventures only to get trophies for skills or for fodder for Lore tokens (closest adventure gem was Combat, so do what works).

Overall, the second game was much more fun than the first. I'm going to play all the heroes against Margath before moving on to the next Scenario.

DagsJT

Played Zooloretto over the weekend and it's pretty good. We liked the light hearted feel of it all and my wife thought it was good, not great but worth keeping.

Just bought Isle Of Skye and I think that's me set for games for a while. We have far too many games that we've only played once so should play those more.

Top Bottom