• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well I'm losing all confidence in my Fury of Dracula order. When I placed it with Amazon shortly after the GW announcement it was listed as "In stock, extra 1-2 days to process." Right after I placed it, it went to "out of stock more expected soon". On Saturday my order status went to Shipping Monday with Delivery today.

It stayed there till about 11 am today, it has now shifted to "expected to ship Friday 9/15, arriving Monday". Oddly it still says "on time". Which is obviously going by some arcane definition of the phrase I'm unfamiliar with hahah.

The last time this happened to me with Amazon my order ended up getting cancelled because they didn't receive expected stock and couldn't fill all orders. Oh well, might still happen but it expecting to actually receive it now.

Mine's just as weird. Bought POD Space Hulk: DA expansions and they actually do show as shipped, but sitting at USPS in Illinois. wtf? And there's an Amazon link saying these usually don't take that long click here to request a refund. Have literally never had this happen but given the situation feel like something shady's happening (like maybe they printed the shipping labels but didn't actually drop off the package)? But going to wait a few days since if I do get the package I don't want to have to return it. :/

I'm weak and caved and bought FoD, on CSI. Haven't had a CSI order in a while so had stuff to easily round it out.

Bii

Was a little late on my Amazon order for FoD, so they were out with a "will ship when back in stock." I let it ride for a bit to see if anything showed up." I've given up and am trying other options. One of my local stores actually seemed to have the game, so I have them holding one for me, and I'll pick it up after work. I'm paying the full retail of 59.99, but that's better than the 100+ that's probably going to happen in short order.

I bought one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-6-Fold-In-Half-Tailgate-Table-Blue-Sapphire/51686669

The traditional card table wasn't cutting it for some of the more expansive games. I've used this table to play Fortune & Glory, Eldritch Horror, Zombicide with a bunch of the kickstarter expansions, and Ghostbusters with a decent amount of room.

I was late to ordering Fury of Dracula on Amazon as well. So I made an order on CSI for that, Letters from Whitechapel and Pandemic Legacy Season 1. My group really liked a few of the haunts that occur in Betrayal at House on the Hill, and both Dracula and Whitechapel seems like a good fit.

I, too, will need to find a better table solution. Right now we're using a 3'x4' coffee table that works well. I would like to get some sort of mat/sheet to put on it instead of using a solid color table cloth that I'm using now. And eventually upgrade to a bigger table.

So I ordered Fury of Dracula on amazon when it wasn't on stock. How likely is it that it gets restocked?
I think I'm getting Kemet and Terra Mystica despite warnings of their complexity. They just seem too good.

So I ordered Fury of Dracula on amazon when it wasn't on stock. How likely is it that it gets restocked?
I think I'm getting Kemet and Terra Mystica despite warnings of their complexity. They just seem too good.

Kemet and Terra Mystica are good choices, though Terra Mystica is definitely a meaty game. I don't know your collection or what you've played before to fully endorse buying TM, but it's a solid game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Kemet really isn't very complex at all. Neither is Terra Mystica eventually, it is actually quite straightforward. Only thing is, your group will be pretty bad at it for quite a few games. After you get some experience under your belt you will remember how you used to play and be ashamed lol

Kickstarter stuffs are starting to come in -
The Others showed up this morning, I only did the basic pledge with one add on but there are still bunch of stuffs. Hope to play it this weekend.

Mythos Tales should arrive next week.

Conan is scheduled for October shipping and Tiny Epic Western along with Tesla VS Edison should be coming in October also.

Delayed stuffs - 7th Continents this one kind of annoying. Also I sort of regret late pledge this game, I think may be I have enough solo adventure game. Not sure what is going on with Xenoshyft, it said on schedule. My daughter for some reason really like this game.

zulux21

The Others showed up this morning, I only did the basic pledge with one add on but there are still bunch of stuffs. Hope to play it this weekend.

Conan is scheduled for October shipping and Tiny Epic Western along with Tesla VS Edison should be coming in October also.

Delayed stuffs - 7th Continents this one kind of annoying. Also I sort of regret late pledge this game, I think may be I have enough solo adventure game. Not sure what is going on with Xenoshyft, it said on schedule. My daughter for some reason really like this game.

i am hoping mythos tales shows up this week. I haven't gotten a shipment notice but they did say usa was shipping this week so I can hope :p

Yeah, I've been getting a lot of KS notifications about stuff either shipping or on their way. Just received Darkrock Ventures as well as Hands in the Sea and Forged in Steel. I believe Mythos Tales will be in by Friday, if not tomorrow. I've backed TEW, Tesla vs Edison, and 7th Continent too. I still think it'll be an awesome game, definitely one I'd play solo more often than not (even though I have Kingdom Death: Monster and that's already enough of a beast solo), but I have cooled on my hype for the game.

Xenoshyft said they were delayed a month, but it should come out in October like TEW and TvE.

I'm one of those crazy superbackers though, so there's probably like 10 more games at least coming between this and next month.

Vard

Yokohama looks really cool - in some ways reminds me of a heavier Istanbul. A bit annoying that TMG only sell the deluxe version of it through Kickstarter and at cons though. They did that with Orleans too. I didn't know about those games early enough, so I don't even have the option to get the deluxe editions anymore? Kind of lame.

Yokohama looks really cool - in some ways reminds me of a heavier Istanbul. A bit annoying that TMG only sell the deluxe version of it through Kickstarter and at cons though. They did that with Orleans too. I didn't know about those games early enough, so I don't even have the option to get the deluxe editions anymore? Kind of lame.

It's unfortunate, but when it comes down to it, it's all chrome. Wooden pieces instead of cardboard, metal coins (Actually in Orleans, the wooden pieces became more of a detriment than an addition). No gameplay was added in the Deluxe edition. If you're really wanting it though, I'm sure it'll be on an auction on BGG when it gets released.

i am hoping mythos tales shows up this week. I haven't gotten a shipment notice but they did say usa was shipping this week so I can hope :p

I got mine a few days ago. Overall, it looks pretty nice. It's about what I expected - a mythos-themed version of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

What's interesting is that there are a few components in the box that don't actually have a use with any of the existing cases. They're apparently there solely as a contingency for possible future expansions.

zulux21

I got mine a few days ago. Overall, it looks pretty nice. It's about what I expected - a mythos-themed version of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

What's interesting is that there are a few components in the box that don't actually have a use with any of the existing cases. They're apparently there solely as a contingency for possible future expansions.

I've been playing consulting detective with my friends and we are enjoying it.

mythos seems to have a few extra mechanics.

either way as long as it is well written (or at least on par with consulting detective which has some issues at time) I am sure I will love it.

if I get it before sat we might give that a try instead of consulting case 4

I am guessing it was shipped via USPS and not UPS?
if it's ups I will at least get a notice before it comes, if it is USPS it will just show up :p

I am guessing it was shipped via USPS and not UPS?
if it's ups I will at least get a notice before it comes, if it is USPS it will just show up :p

I believe I got it through FedEx Smartpost - where FedEx takes it most of the way, and then your local post office does the actual drop-off.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I've only played the app (which usually benefits deckbuilders) but I dig Xenoshyft. Not enough to buy the physical copy because I find the theme way too generic (though a good match to the mechanics) but really enjoy the difficulty and gearing up between rounds.

zulux21

I believe I got it through FedEx Smartpost - where FedEx takes it most of the way, and then your local post office does the actual drop-off.
ah, well I won't get a notice for them either.

I've only played the app (which usually benefits deckbuilders) but I dig Xenoshyft. Not enough to buy the physical copy because I find the theme way too generic (though a good match to the mechanics) but really enjoy the difficulty and gearing up between rounds.

did not realize there was an app... now to decide if I want it on my android tablet or my ipad.

or ooh on steam O_O

Faiz

Mine's just as weird. Bought POD Space Hulk: DA expansions and they actually do show as shipped, but sitting at USPS in Illinois. wtf? And there's an Amazon link saying these usually don't take that long click here to request a refund. Have literally never had this happen but given the situation feel like something shady's happening (like maybe they printed the shipping labels but didn't actually drop off the package)? But going to wait a few days since if I do get the package I don't want to have to return it. :/

I'm weak and caved and bought FoD, on CSI. Haven't had a CSI order in a while so had stuff to easily round it out.

Oof those DA supplements are even more of a bear. Insane what those are going for already.

ah, well I won't get a notice for them either.

did not realize there was an app... now to decide if I want it on my android tablet or my ipad.

or ooh on steam O_O

Mine is coming via UPS Sure post which is super slow. It said next Thursday on my app.

I have Xenoshyft on my iPad when it was on sale for 1.99, like AstroLad mentioned, it plays really well on digital. I usually find iPad version of most apps to be more polished than Android counterparts.

Faiz

I have Xenoshyft on my iPad when it was on sale for 1.99, like AstroLad mentioned, it plays really well on digital. I usually find iPad version of most apps to be more polished than Android counterparts.

I really need to revisit that. Something about it just didn't click for me. Not the fun factor but the actual mechanisms and efficiently making use of resources.

For some reason it feel like I have less patience to learn a game playing the digital version - like I've been programmed over the years to have a lower attention span when playing a video game. (Shocker)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yep I own it. I like it, can be a bit Mathy and abstract. Stories play out in your head rather than FFG dripping in theme card texts (which get old fast for me).

I printed off some play mats from BGG to organise things.
Table space can get a bit big though, I thought two tiles and a couple of decks would minimise table space but the shards are huge and quite a lot of space is needed. Not Mage knight levels though. Designer is super helpful over on the geek.

I'll check out the playmats, thanks. And I went through everything last night...It looks like my expansion copy is signed by the designer AND the game has the 2015 Promo cards in it. Not bad. Looking forward to giving this a shot over the next few days.

Vard

It's unfortunate, but when it comes down to it, it's all chrome. Wooden pieces instead of cardboard, metal coins (Actually in Orleans, the wooden pieces became more of a detriment than an addition). No gameplay was added in the Deluxe edition. If you're really wanting it though, I'm sure it'll be on an auction on BGG when it gets released.
Yep, true. I think the Deluxe versions tend to be like $25 more, and typically I'd skip out on them because you could get another game for the difference. It'd be nice to have the option without resorting to marked up auctions though.

Potion explosion is awesome. Though like half the marbles I got have cracks or are missing chunks of marble.

Probably will try to buy replacement marbles of better quality

EYEL1NER

Potion explosion is awesome. Though like half the marbles I got have cracks or are missing chunks of marble.

Probably will try to buy replacement marbles of better quality
My yellows are all pretty bad. I started a thread on the forums about upgrading the marbles and got some chatter: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23695666#23695666
A guy in there posted a link to a site where he bought replacements for every color that look really good for $18 shipped, so that is an option for you.

Codex Deluxe Edition arrived just now and it is a sight to see. I'll post pictures this afternoon but I was in awe as I opened it. I'm sure it must be what backers of the Ogre Designers Edition felt as well. A massive box that weighs almost 15 pounds, high quality neoprene playmats, hundreds of cards, and what looks to be a deep and fun game. I need to learn this quickly, but it seems like it will be hard to get to the table unless I can find someone else who also bought it. Maybe I can leave the rulebook at the local store and see if anyone takes the initiative to learn it too. There are a lot of MtG, Cardfight, and UFS players at the store; maybe this will catch someone's eye if I take it in. Then again, I have taken BattleCON in a bunch and the only people who were interested in it were UFS players who bought the Indines set and had read about BattleCON and wanted to try it. No one else walked by and said "What have you got there?" or took a glance in its direction. So who knows? CCGers are a odd bunch.

Bii

Pandemic Legacy $35 on CSI? Bought!

I was tempted to buy two in case my group wants to make a second run. I think we'll just play it accordingly and do the actions that are required instead of reprinting things, not ripping up cards and other permanent markings that I've read about.

I was tempted to buy two in case my group wants to make a second run. I think we'll just play it accordingly and do the actions that are required instead of reprinting things, not ripping up cards and other permanent markings that I've read about.

Get a ziplock baggy.
Draw a biohazard sign on it.
Spoilers!!!
Reuse baggied cards at later date.

Karkador

Banned
Does anyone have a site that explains how to not destroy the game as you play? I may be playing this with more than 1 group at a time.

You're gonna need two copies for that, there's no way you can (easily, conveniently, sanely, reasonably) run two games on a single copy at once.

Karkador

Banned
For a pure negotiation game, you can check out Quo Vadis. Not my favorite genre so I avoid it like plague >.>

I LOVE Quo Vadis. That game belongs in people's collections. If I had some support, I'd write to Knizia himself to beg for the license to produce a nicer, modern version.

zulux21

as someone who is playing it and enjoying it...

I would recommend just one.

it's a lot of pandemic to play through once.

plus it doesn't seem like a second playthrough would be drastically different.

would likely be better to just wait until season 2 comes out to do your second playthrough.

Warhammer Quest ACG came today. The cards are really small, was hoping for US game size. My main pet peeve was activated though. Two rule books that spread information across the two of them with a useless half-the-rules "learn to play" tutorial in one of them but that you have to refer to see how actions/activations work. Just teach me how to set up a regular game and include a glossary at the end of the book, you bastards!

Karkador

Banned
Warhammer Quest ACG came today. The cards are really small, was hoping for US game size. My main pet peeve was activated though. Two rule books that spread information across the two of them with a useless half-the-rules "learn to play" tutorial in one of them but that you have to refer to see how actions/activations work. Just teach me how to set up a regular game and include a glossary at the end of the book, you bastards!

Yeeeppp..

I do think the "Learn how to play" book does its job, but it's a bumpy road as you learn the full game and have to check what all the terms mean in the glossary.

Neverfade

Come talking that shit about the two rulesbook set up at BGG and you get the mob stirred up.

Theoretically I don't have a problem with it, but I'm unaware of a single game that has ALL the rules in the Learn to Play book. There's always some small detail relegated to RRG.

I can't look up a rules question I don't even know I'm supposed to be asking...

Come talking that shit about the two rulesbook set up at BGG and you get the mob stirred up.

Theoretically I don't have a problem with it, but I'm unaware of a single game that has ALL the rules in the Learn to Play book. There's always some small detail relegated to RRG.

I can't look up a rules question I don't even know I'm supposed to be asking...

One (rule) book to rule them all.

Phthisis

This methodology is easily the worst thing FFG has done in recent memory. It seems to be getting worse, too, as their newer games have less proofing of the crossover of details (or lack thereof) between rulebooks. Huge problem when an important piece of the rules is in the starter guide and not in the supposedly comprehensive rules reference.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So. I cant believe this happened. A few days ago I was writing here that my backback and several games got stolen. Its a bit of a longer story, but basically the greek "connection" that owned the bistro that my stuff got stolen at complained to the arab "connection" that someone of their people hurt customers from the greeks. Today I got a call from the greeks that they got my backpack back and I just picked it up. I got ALL my games back, and even though the packaging was clearly damaged, they actually seem to be still... complete. All Lords of Waterdeep pieces, all Arctic Scavenger Cards, all Potion Explosion marbles (I think). All other stuff from my backpack is still missing, like my mobile phone and other smaller stuff.

They basically stole my backpack, emptied it on a pile of stolen rubble, kept the 20€ of smaller goods (plus my mobile phone) and put my 200€ games back in to give them back to me.

Crazy.

Top Bottom