• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
Played a 5 player Machi Koro game and the winner won by only purchasing 3 cards! Myself and another had 14 each and the other 2 players had 13 each.

He was just extremely lucky with his and other people's rolls very early in the game. He saved and bought the 30 building and then just did nothing but gain 10 coins every round. I've never seen anything like it. He was a first time player too.
You have to be super lucky not to get robbed by red cards in that game while you save. But yeah, once anyone gets the airport, the game is basically over.

So I just played a solo game of my kickstarter copy of Draconis Invasion. It's a pretty solid deck-builder! The solo game is a lot tenser than I thought it'd be. It's very similar to Thunderstone, but streamlines a lot of the way attacking monsters work which is a plus for me as I never liked the whole equipping, weight, and light mechanic in Thunderstone Advance. Haven't gotten to play with even half of the cards yet, but I can definitely say try it out if you have the chance.

So here is my haul for the week. SH came in on Wednesday, Codex on Thursday, and Mythos Tales today. Pretty stoked to get them all:

Codex:

The box for the deluxe version of this game is MASSIVE. Around 14.5 lbs. Towards the left in that first image is a couple of the codex binders. The second image shows the playmat, of which there are two that roll up and fit into the box ala the first edition of Yomi. They smell a bit odd and the artwork on them is a tad blurry, but they will do nicely. I cannot imagine that I would want to use the flimsy cardboard mats that were included and hastily thrown under the insert once I unwrapped them. The game's cards aren't overly humorous or full of parodies like Millennium Blades but there are some funny ones. I especially liked the artwork for Revolver Ocelot and the flavor text for Regular-sized Rhinoceros. The game looks to be a ton of fun and I cannot wait to learn it and introduce it to some MtG players.

Artwork looks great, and I like the random animals on the cards.. what the heck is this game about??

Made a dice tray with a shadow box, some adhesive foam, and adhesive felt. It looks nice but I tested it out and dice don't roll very well. ._. The felt adds too much friction and the foam absorbs too much of the force. End result is the dice don't roll too much.

EYEL1NER

Artwork looks great, and I like the random animals on the cards.. what the heck is this game about??
I don't know that it is really "about" anything, but it is a card game that is supposed to replicate the feel of an RTS while being similar to a CCG like Magic. I haven't played it yet (in fact, I haven't played any of the Sirlin Games titles that I own), so I can't say anything negative or positive about it. I know that there are a lot of positive impressions of it out there though from people who've been playing PnP versions for a while. Tom Vasel loves it, but from what I have heard he loves every game he talks about, so maybe that doesn't count for much, I'm not sure. Here's some bullet point descriptions of it from the Kickstarter page though:

-Build your deck as you play. Each game you have access to a number of effects equal to about three Magic: The Gathering decks. Pick and choose the ones you want to use as the gameplay unfolds.
-Real-time strategy theme, based on video games such as Warcraft 3 and StarCraft. Concepts like build orders, fog of war, investing in your economy, and protecting your buildings and heroes all apply.
-The patrol zone creates a new kind of combat system. Set up your defenders in your patrol zone and give each one a different kind of bonus. Your patrollers protect your other forces on your opponents' turns.
-No collectability, meaning the game is even playfield and embraces the concept of being competitively fair, always.
-Gorgeous art. Codex's art has been under development for years and years. Wonderful illustrations that are functional in that they show closeups of each unit so you can easily tell them apart, and each kind of card has a different card frame and graphic design.

If you like the animal artwork though, you would love the various token cards from the game, because there are a TON and a lot feature animals.

I don't buy that. For one, big retailers can afford to crush the online retailers in price. They can't crush them in terms of selection. If what you propose were true, these schemes would only be affecting the most popular games. The board game companies would be cutting their nose to spite their face.

That's not how that works. Big retailers and many companies put price controls on most products, it's just how it's done to prevent everyone from under cutting each other. Without price controls in place someones always gonna go lower than the other, which kills the market for a product. It's why big retailers rarely lower their prices by much outside of temporary and limited stock sales that are allowed. Why are all retailers selling a PS4 at same price? Because they have to, only way around it is sometimes a temp short term sale, or they have to create bundles to entice people to buy.

As for game companies, when little board game company suddenly has every Target and B&N buying a cases of their game, it's a HUGE deal compared to the buying power of a few mom and pop game stores.

And price controls is something alot of local game stores want sadly too, as they struggle to compete against warehouse sellers like Cool Stuff who are practically their own distributor and is offer 30-40% discounts on products, when that is about how much they pay to stock that game in their own shop. These local game stores can't compete either, so to them, price control is seen as a good thing.

For us, it sucks of course.

http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/10290221/

norden-klapptisch__66396_PE179294_S4.JPG

This one is basically perfect. Super small if its folded together and big if unfolded, 2 different setup varieties and store room.
Can anyone link me to this table on the US Ikea or maybe even amazon? it looks exactly what I need.

I played a game of Dead of Winter last night and it went over very well. They didn't seem to enjoy the crossroad cards though. Maybe we didn't draw any of the interesting ones or they weren't into the storytelling aspect of it.

Mr E.

Made a dice tray with a shadow box, some adhesive foam, and adhesive felt. It looks nice but I tested it out and dice don't roll very well. ._. The felt adds too much friction and the foam absorbs too much of the force. End result is the dice don't roll too much.

A dice tray which doesn't roll dice = a tray.

I used a small picture frame with deep walls. A bit of sticky back felt and it worked out ok.

Fishlake

Would this be the place to talk about Heroscape?

Well I have a friend who really love modular boards but had never heard of it.

So I tell him one day when we have a game night at my place I have to show him the Heroscape land pieces that are in a chest below my newt.

I finally had the chance to show him it and now he really wants to play it.

I used to play this a ton with my brother and 2 other friends years ago and I have quite the sizable collection but the idea of plying it has made me realize how much I love this game despite not playing it in years.

I can't believe how expensive it still is after they discontinued it please WotC reprint this even if new stuff does not comes out, or at least give us better land with your Mtg board game.

So now I'm thinking up board ideas and seeing who else I know would be interested in playing it.

I don't think we will use all the rules in our first game but enough for it to be complex.

What a fun game.

Here is an image for those who don't know of this game.
heroscape.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I miss Heroscape so much. It pains me to know that it's gone and prohibitively expensive to obtain. I loved the automated rules for solo quests, too.

Experien

Would this be the place to talk about Heroscape?

Well I have a friend who really love modular boards but had never heard of it.

So I tell him one day when we have a game night at my place I have to show him the Heroscape land pieces that are in a chest below my newt.

I finally had the chance to show him it and now he really wants to play it.

I used to play this a ton with my brother and 2 other friends years ago and I have quite the sizable collection but the idea of plying it has made me realize how much I love this game despite not playing it in years.

I can't believe how expensive it still is after they discontinued it please WotC reprint this even if new stuff does not comes out, or at least give us better land with your Mtg board game.

So now I'm thinking up board ideas and seeing who else I know would be interested in playing it.

I don't think we will use all the rules in our first game but enough for it to be complex.

What a fun game.

Here is an image for those who don't know of this game.
heroscape.jpg

I know the new MtG is largely the same game and I so wanted to get into it but the main people I play board games with couldn't stand the swingy nature of combat. Or should I say random?

Anyways, I had to get rid of it so I am jealous you can lay it with someone.

dr_mario

So I ordered Fury of Dracula on amazon when it wasn't on stock. How likely is it that it gets restocked?
I think I'm getting Kemet and Terra Mystica despite warnings of their complexity. They just seem too good.

We'll probably get the Terra Mystica Big Box in the Feuerland-Essen-Preoder. We borrowed it before, and it isnt that complex. It's extremely comprehensive, and you'll need time to get perfect in a class, but the core mechanism is, in my mind, simple and great enough. But we are mostly playing Euro-Kennerspiele nowadays so what do I know?
Dont know if this was posted but as FFG lost all these licenses I guess there won't be a Fury of Dracula reprint anymore after the current run.

The Robinson Crusoe updates and new rulebook are finally out!

Code:
RULEBOOK:

[old edition] explains nothing
[new edition] explains everything

Haha.

Hahah...ha...ha. I should've checked why it was on sale at CSI a few weeks ago... Wish I waited for this edition now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Look forward to impressions. Although with Fury of Dracula on its way, as well as Eldritch still getting regular play, I've probably topped out in terms of long games. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Hahah...ha...ha. I should've checked why it was on sale at CSI a few weeks ago... Wish I waited for this edition now.

Look forward to impressions. Although with Fury of Dracula on its way, as well as Eldritch still getting regular play, I've probably topped out in terms of long games. :p

As far as I've read, changes are purely cosmetic. Painstakingly edited rulebook and card wording, nicer components, different art, square box, one extra scenario.

Karkador

Banned
Seems to me like you'll be able to use the new rulebook with the old copy, so assuming they post that online, if you got the old version on the cheap, good on you.

Blizzard

Banned
Seems to me like you'll be able to use the new rulebook with the old copy, so assuming they post that online, if you got the old version on the cheap, good on you.
The new book is on the page I linked above. Art is pixellated to save on file size, but the text is fine.

Sorry I'm posting so much on one page! I'm excited if you can't tell. ;_;

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You can, but I've also read that playing solo with 2 characters may be a good idea. Playing solo with only 1 character works but leads to a different experience because morale is never a problem.

I like to play a few characters, so that would work. Gives me a way to introduce it to my wife, too. Once I can play a few characters and know how they work, I have a baseline for that "introduction". I'm still contemplating trying to get my wife to play a round of Shadows of Brimstone with me, so anything that I can lead her into that would be awesome.

EYEL1NER

Man, I am sooooo glad that I waited on Robinson Crusoe. I can't wait to pick this up. At some point I'll have to find a way to buy the older version's box though because it is far superior to the new one.

Blizzard

Banned
I just checked the BGG forum. It's not mentioned on the comparison images, but there were apparently 17 editing passes and over 400 changes on the cards to fix bad English (or clarify I assume).

There was one slight rules change in one case but it sounds like that was just on a specific card to make things more straightforward (something about requiring 2 workers instead of 1).

swoon

As far as I've read, changes are purely cosmetic. Painstakingly edited rulebook and card wording, nicer components, different art, square box, one extra scenario.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85795/scenario-7-dreadful-adventure-king-kong-island

is the extra scenario, unless they tweaked it. it was available to purchase on the bgg store for a bit as well.

i'm excited about the new rule book, but i don't really like the cubes. the main finicky thing about the game (besides the awful rule book) is the perishable food, which i guess is bread?

Karkador

Banned
I just checked the BGG forum. It's not mentioned on the comparison images, but there were apparently 17 editing passes and over 400 changes on the cards to fix bad English (or clarify I assume).

As far as I remember, the text on the cards is mostly flavor text and, while I wouldn't call the game "language independent", the language of the cards isn't something where the rules of the game hang on every word (like Magic, for example). I don't remember having any issue with them. Grammatical, Polish-to-English errors certainly appeared here and there (as they do in most of their games), but that's superfluous.

I'm all for a shiny new edition of the game, but there's no regret in having the old version, especially when the best improvement (the rulebook) is already posted online.

EYEL1NER

Is there a release date? Will definitely pick this up.
I haven't heard anything yet about a release date, but it might be known already. The only attention I pay to RC news anymore is what gets posted in here. I was interested in the game at the beginning of last year when it was still super-hot and by the time it was readily available and I could get my hands on it, the GotY Edition rumors started to surface, so I just put it in the back of my mind at that point.

EDIT: Late November for the US apparently.
http://portalgames.pl/new_en/announcement-portal-games-announces-new-releases-for-essen-spiel/
Both of these products will debut with a pre-release at Essen Spiel 2016. European release will be shortly after Essen and U.S. release will follow in late November. MSRP for Robinson Crusoe is $65. MSRP for Death Breath is $10. For more information, you can visit our website at: http://portalgames.pl/
I'm all for a shiny new edition of the game, but there's no regret in having the old version, especially when the best improvement (the rulebook) is already posted online.
If I already owned the old version, I don't think that I would regret having it and want to upgrade. If I had the old version for a while, I would have already picked up Kong Island. The shaped resources are nice I guess but I don't mind cubes (I actually kind of dislike bits that are shaped like food or animals, if I can be honest. Wooden cubes or plastic minis for me). The rule book will be available and any old rule disputes were bound to have been answered already.
Yeah, seeing the new version wouldn't have made me bummed about having the old one, but I've been waiting for the new one and it looks like the best version for someone wanting it at this moment, so I'm pumped to get it.

Blizzard

Banned
CoolStuffInc has a release date of November 9 for Robinson Crusoe in the U.S. The game is first being released at Essen (October 13th and following).

EYEL1NER

Whoohoo! The Kickstarter for BattleCON: Trials goes live this Friday. More BattleCON to collect dust... I'll be pledging Day One.

Also, my hype has already died down for Robinson Crusoe. Not even two hours, but yep, it's gone. I do still want it and cannot wait to buy it, but late November? What'll happen if I let myself get excited for it now? It won't get put on the boats until December? Nope, I've finally learned I guess to keep my release estimate expectations in check.

Looks like the embargo for Mechs vs Minions is up, about half a dozen videos for it just dropped. It's a League of Legends game that looks massive and has Legacy-ish elements.

Yup, just saw all the tweets on my feed. Only got to watch Rahdo's unboxing so far; I'll watch the rest after work tonight. But the production looks crazy good. Makes me sad to think that people might now expect this from all board games when they clearly won't be able to deliver. But no doubt I'm picking this up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yup, just saw all the tweets on my feed. Only got to watch Rahdo's unboxing so far; I'll watch the rest after work tonight. But the production looks crazy good. Makes me sad to think that people might now expect this from all board games when they clearly won't be able to deliver. But no doubt I'm picking this up.

I know I'm in the minority when you look at KS success, but honestly when a game has amazing minis I usually assume the gameplay is subpar (typically overly ornate rules and incredibly kludgy mechanics) and this is usually proven true. Now don't get me wrong, I love beautiful minis, especially pre-painted ones (I have like $100+ of Monsterpocalypse stuff to illustrate the point!), but the games are just so lacking in many cases. Some of the few exceptions I can think of would be Claustrophobia and maybe a couple others. Exceptions to the rule though.

Taborcarn

That and it's $75, where and equivalent Kickstarter in terms of components would probably be much higher.

Man, so bummed about Robinson Crusoe, I bought the game like three years ago and haven't played it yet! At least I can download the new rulebook and play with my version I assume.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Whoohoo! The Kickstarter for BattleCON: Trials goes live this Friday. More BattleCON to collect dust... I'll be pledging Day One.

I feel for you. Everyone, and I mean everyone, I have introduced to BattleCON loves it. We have played like 40 sets in the last few weeks. All of the Level99 games i have picked up are somenof my very favorites now.

I know I'm in the minority when you look at KS success, but honestly when a game has amazing minis I usually assume the gameplay is subpar (typically overly ornate rules and incredibly kludgy mechanics) and this is usually proven true. Now don't get me wrong, I love beautiful minis, especially pre-painted ones (I have like $100+ of Monsterpocalypse stuff to illustrate the point!), but the games are just so lacking in many cases. Some of the few exceptions I can think of would be Claustrophobia and maybe a couple others. Exceptions to the rule though.

I've been hit and miss with the Kickstarters I've backed that focused a lot on miniatures. Blood Rage and Rum and Bones are among those that I enjoyed and wasn't overly fiddly and underbaked/overcooked. Then you have something like B-Seiged which seems like it could have used some streamlining, or In the Name of Odin which could have used more game than minis.

I agree that I'm more weary of minis-based games than a simpler Euro-style game on KS, but given that I also bought Kingdom Death: Monster and it's become my favorite game ever, I'm always willing to give minis games I'm interested in a second glance.

Iced

Bought Cosmic Encounter used on Kijiji today. It's in pretty good shape, but I've noticed that the "Prometheus token" is missing. Having never played this game, how important is it? Would it be worth returning to the seller over? For reference, it's this version:

WlGERhk.png

elyetis

Fuck yes, I'm sooo jumping on it day one. I read that every character will comes with it's own tuckbox, one could only hope they would allow us to get that for older character.

Also every character will come with their own set of Base cards, not sure how I actually feel about that. On one hand it should make every character even more unique, on the other hand I fear that will make them too different from the older character so you won't really be able to play them together.

Neverfade

If anyone has a FLGS that sells Warhammer Conquest warpacks, I'm down to searching for just Jungles of Nectavus. If you feel like doing a fellow gaffer a solid I'm prepared to reimburse you for your troubles.

If anyone has a FLGS that sells Warhammer Conquest warpacks, I'm down to searching for just Jungles of Nectavus. If you feel like doing a fellow gaffer a solid I'm prepared to reimburse you for your troubles.
Heading to my FLGS tonight for Netrunner. I know they put a bunch of the Conquest stuff up on the 50% off table. I'll take a look for you.

I can check mine. Was just by there today and they had some Conquest packs.

ultron87

Damn this League game. Co-op mech programming with card draft and campaign elements is way too appealing of a set of features for me. But I really shouldn't buy anything else right now.

Top Bottom