• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

Re: FFG's Multiple Rulebooks
I haven't bothered to learn how to play my copy of Imperial Assault and it is down in the garage right now, but doesn't it have three or four books in it? Rules, a learn to play book, a scenario book, and maybe the rules for skirmish play? That last one might not be right, but I do remember opening the box up when I got it almost two years ago and being surprised at how many books were piled on top, like "What is all of this?!"

Lyng

Kemet and Terra Mystica are good choices, though Terra Mystica is definitely a meaty game. I don't know your collection or what you've played before to fully endorse buying TM, but it's a solid game.

The complexity of TM gets blown way out of proportion.

The game is really not that complex, and the fact that everything is pretty much laid out on the board and the player boards makes it quiet straight forward to play.

Give it a chance its a really great euro.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

The game is really not that complex, and the fact that everything is pretty much laid out on the board and the player boards makes it quiet straight forward to play.

I still cant judge about which level of complexity we are speaking here. What would be at least equally good but more complex games for you?

Re: FFG's Multiple Rulebooks
I haven't bothered to learn how to play my copy of Imperial Assault and it is down in the garage right now, but doesn't it have three or four books in it? Rules, a learn to play book, a scenario book, and maybe the rules for skirmish play? That last one might not be right, but I do remember opening the box up when I got it almost two years ago and being surprised at how many books were piled on top, like "What is all of this?!"

Think it actually is well done for Imperial Assault, you really only need to read the quick start rules and it's pretty quick to play, you just use the big rule reference if something comes up in game that needs clarification, but we found it plays easy enough that the multiple book set up let us get into games real quick. Yes there is a separate book for skirmish play, which can be skipped for people who don't play the vs skirmish mode. The campaign book is big as the game did come packed with a ton of scenarios that can be linked in multiple ways. Each expansion comes with another campaign scenario book as well.

Lyng

I still cant judge about which level of complexity we are speaking here. What would be at least equally good but more complex games for you?

I must admit I dont really know what you mean? Complexity is not always a good thing i feel.
Alot of games have tons of complexity but lack depth.

Terra Mystica is very deep without having fidly complex rules.

An equally good but more complex game would probably be Through the Ages.

And when I talk complexity I talk how straight forward is it to play.
If the complexity comes from the decisions you need to make and how far they affect you or how the different actions intertwine, that is what I call depth.

Overly complex are games that have tons of fiddly rules that add nothing but complexity.

Through the ages is alot more complex I feel but also has the depth to warrant it.

Terra mystica manages to be very deep without beeing overly complex to play.

I usually equate complexity in games simply to how many choices can you make or not make during your turn. If it's a lot, then the game is complex. Depth comes in how actions are chosen, or interact with other actions/other players' actions. Depth is hurt by actions that are the "obvious" best choice in any given tactical situation. Thus you could have a game with much less choices overall that still has more depth than a game with say 15 choices but one or two are obviously better.

You could also refer to complexity as the combination of these two forces. A more complex game is one that has more actions and they are less obvious about how they work/interact, whereas a less complex game could have the same number of actions available per turn but you know exactly how each one will work/interacts with others. I tend not to like this interpretation as much because I don't really think games become less complex objectively as you get better at them.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm glad to hear other people had that problem with the Warhammer rules. Even in the reference you have to guess where stuff is. I think one of the rules about removing cards in setup is NOT in the setup section of the reference.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I do feel like every eurogame is actually pretty easy once you learn it. :) This is definitely true for Feld and Rosenberg games. Just that learning it is the bear, and difficulty of learning is still a relevant consideration even if a game is simple thereafter, because for some groups just the pain of learning can be a buzzkill.

I strongly dislike the split rulebooks. Galaxy Trucker was one of the first to do this (they had it one book, but it was too parts) and I just think it's way too clever for its own good, especially when neither resource is comprehensive. Just doubles the workload even when you're looking up rules (which it's supposed to make easy).

Just make one rulebook with lots of examples. I don't think I've ever read a rulebook and said "this had too many examples of how the rules work in play," but I nearly always have the opposite feeling.

Hmm.. I never have any issues with Warhammer Quest rule books. I don't mind the two rulebook system and in the case of Imperial Assault (which I hated it at first), it makes the complicated games easier to dive into (which I think the entire reason why FFG went with this method). Rebellion was easy for us to set up and get right into and yes we make some mistakes and having to find thing not mention in the how to play is annoying. I think what they can improve it by making it easier to find stuffs in the reference guide. Everything should be mention in how to play even if they are not going to go into it in details.

Anyway, in this day and age of YouTube video and channel like Watch it Played! I find learning from watching is a way to go and just use rule reference as just that a reference. (Which is more of the reasons to make reference easy to look). Speaking of Watch it Played!, Rodney Smith is also with you guys and really hate the twin rule books FFG have been doing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Come to think of it, Shadowrun: Crossfire did this too. Had a section that was just like "don't worry dudes, if you just want to dive in, this will teach you most of what you need to know!" How about catering to an audience that just wants to learn the game in the best way possible? The result there was that you had to read the Quick Start Guide, then read lots of redundant stuff again. And again neither section was comprehensive. Ugh. (Game is awesome though :p).

When I get a new game I always:

1) Read the rulebook and make mental notes of thing I do not immediately understand

2) Look for/read the FAQs online

3) Watch a "how to play" video by the developer or trusted source paying close attention to see if my questions from step 1 are answered

4) Watch others play the game on YouTube

If I'm introducing a new game to multiple people, I send them the YouTube link as homework before they come over lol.

EYEL1NER

Think it actually is well done for Imperial Assault, you really only need to read the quick start rules and it's pretty quick to play, you just use the big rule reference if something comes up in game that needs clarification, but we found it plays easy enough that the multiple book set up let us get into games real quick. Yes there is a separate book for skirmish play, which can be skipped for people who don't play the vs skirmish mode. The campaign book is big as the game did come packed with a ton of scenarios that can be linked in multiple ways. Each expansion comes with another campaign scenario book as well.
I don't know that I like or dislike multiple rulebooks and haven't even read the Imperial Assault books. I was just bringing it up as an example of another one with separated books for different aspects of the game, since it was being discussed. I think I probably lean towards "dislike" in most of the cases I have experienced so far though because I have found myself having to flip back and forth too often between the Rules and Learn to Play books to reference different things.

Look, game developers, if you want a tutorial book for babies that's fine, but it should be in addition to a complete rulebook. I hate this splitting nonsense.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man does anyone pack their boxes with more content or variability than Level99 games? I got Millennium Blades, BattleCON and now Argent in a few months span. Not only are all of these games very good, but we have barely scratched the surface in any of them. 4 or 5 plays of Millennium, up to like 40 now in BattleCON and 3 in Argent. The 3 games of Argent so far have been wildly different.

Man does anyone pack their boxes with more content or variability than Level99 games? I got Millennium Blades, BattleCON and now Argent in a few months span. Not only are all of these games very good, but we have barely scratched the surface in any of them. 4 or 5 plays of Millennium, up to like 40 now in BattleCON and 3 in Argent. The 3 games of Argent so far have been wildly different.

I love Pixel Tactics too. Would love to play Millennium Blades. I would actually be ok with SLIGHTLY less stuff in the box if it meant a reduced price point. I don't know their sales numbers but I think their games can overwhelm people a bit with what's all in the box. That being said, I think it's a great company.

I meant meaty game as there is a lot of strategy and depth to your actions, not necessarily that it's complex. Learning how to play is indeed tougher than other euros of its weight, by which I mean learning some resemblance of a game plan, not just mechanics. I just think that a medium euro instead of a medium-heavy one like Terra Mystica would be a slightly better choice if the game collection isn't that large yet. Something like Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, or Viticulture.

So. I cant believe this happened. A few days ago I was writing here that my backback and several games got stolen. Its a bit of a longer story, but basically the greek "connection" that owned the bistro that my stuff got stolen at complained to the arab "connection" that someone of their people hurt customers from the greeks. Today I got a call from the greeks that they got my backpack back and I just picked it up. I got ALL my games back, and even though the packaging was clearly damaged, they actually seem to be still... complete. All Lords of Waterdeep pieces, all Arctic Scavenger Cards, all Potion Explosion marbles (I think). All other stuff from my backpack is still missing, like my mobile phone and other smaller stuff.

They basically stole my backpack, emptied it on a pile of stolen rubble, kept the 20€ of smaller goods (plus my mobile phone) and put my 200€ games back in to give them back to me.

Crazy.
That's wonderful to hear Toma. Happy for you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I meant meaty game as there is a lot of strategy and depth to your actions, not necessarily that it's complex. Learning how to play is indeed tougher than other euros of its weight, by which I mean learning some resemblance of a game plan, not just mechanics. I just think that a medium euro instead of a medium-heavy one like Terra Mystica would be a slightly better choice if the game collection isn't that large yet. Something like Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, or Viticulture.

Yeah personally I think on Euros heavy midweight is the most I'll go. I just can't quite muster the enthusiasm to spend hours learning a game that I'll then have to spend hours teaching to people. I did that for Agricola and enjoyed it, but I think I'll mostly stick to that as my heavy euros as the midrange has gotten so good tbh.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
We played Suburbia at work over the past two lunch days with 4 people. I someone pulled off a win by investing in the EPA Office on my last turn and turning my $63 into 12 population for the win. I am a big fan of that game and love that you're never playing the "screw you" role in it.

Yeah personally I think on Euros heavy midweight is the most I'll go. I just can't quite muster the enthusiasm to spend hours learning a game that I'll then have to spend hours teaching to people. I did that for Agricola and enjoyed it, but I think I'll mostly stick to that as my heavy euros as the midrange has gotten so good tbh.

That's just my opinion if the game collection isn't that large yet. I actually prefer heavier euros, stuff from What's Your Game? games, Three Kingdoms Redux, Kanban, etc. Granted I have over 300 board games so my tastes in games have definitely evolved since my first 20. Though I still enjoy the majority of the games I own/played.

Ohnonono

I own Pandemic: The Cure and love it. Somehow that let me rationalize getting the Cthulu Pandemic because... shit I dunno I am a sucker.

Lyng

Ah okay. Now I get it.
I would tend to agree. When I first got infected with the board game love virus I went straight for heavier games. It was a mistake.
Trying to get non gamers to play Archipelago is...well... yeah

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haven't seen this widely discussed yet - AEG are following in the footsteps of Asmodee/FFG, enforcing "minimum advertised prices" policies on online retailers etc.

Details here.

This stuff is dumb, but I guess I get it. It makes ordering online annoying more than anything. Just have to have a "see price in cart!" option.

It's better than GW. You can't order their stuff on The War Store unless you email them and communicate an order directly that way. No site ordering for anyone. That's super dumb.
At this rate we will soon have price control across the board. I have to admit their scheme sort of work, I buy more game locally because 20% off at my FLGS is the same as o line sometimes even cheaper for Asmodee stuffs.

I must admit I dont really know what you mean? Complexity is not always a good thing i feel.
Alot of games have tons of complexity but lack depth.

Terra Mystica is very deep without having fidly complex rules.

An equally good but more complex game would probably be Through the Ages.

And when I talk complexity I talk how straight forward is it to play.
If the complexity comes from the decisions you need to make and how far they affect you or how the different actions intertwine, that is what I call depth.

Overly complex are games that have tons of fiddly rules that add nothing but complexity.

Through the ages is alot more complex I feel but also has the depth to warrant it.

Terra mystica manages to be very deep without beeing overly complex to play.

I really wanted to like Last Night on Earth... but here's a game that feels like you describe above.. Lots of complexity.. little depth... and I don't care for the art, and somehow that bugs me.. Now I've only played it twice, but I just don't feel like bringing it to the table is all that fun.... I might try it again in honor of Halloween though.

EYEL1NER

Haven't seen this widely discussed yet - AEG are following in the footsteps of Asmodee/FFG, enforcing "minimum advertised prices" policies on online retailers etc.

Details here.
Absolutely shitty news. I guess Smash Up is the only AEG game I regularly buy (Love Letter variants too, but I've slowed down on getting all of those lately), so it won't be something I have to deal with too much though. Unless the new edition of Thunderstone winds up being really good, that is, but I haven't even played my two Thunderstone Advance boxes that I have, so I won't feel the need to buy the new Thunderstone for a while no matter how good it winds up looking. I've put off buying Trains for a while though, so I guess I need to get that really quickly before it starts costing the suggested $60 price everywhere.

That's just my opinion if the game collection isn't that large yet. I actually prefer heavier euros, stuff from What's Your Game? games, Three Kingdoms Redux, Kanban, etc. Granted I have over 300 board games so my tastes in games have definitely evolved since my first 20. Though I still enjoy the majority of the games I own/played.
I'd love to try that one out, si old because it is supposed to be the best game about the Three Kingdoms era out there. I'd prefer a more Ameritrash game with more combat, but I'll take a Euro if it is available. I'll get my hands on it one of these days.

I was going to take some pics on Codex yesterday but I waited since I new Mythos Tales might show up today. Mythos Tales did in fact show up, so I'll snap some pics off later of both of them.

I'd love to try that one out, si old because it is supposed to be the best game about the Three Kingdoms era out there. I'd prefer a more Ameritrash game with more combat, but I'll take a Euro if it is available. I'll get my hands on it one of these days.

It's fantastic, my 2nd favorite board game. It's definitely the best game based on the Three Kingdoms Era, and that's not just because there's so few of them out there. Great design, beautiful artwork, and perfectly encapsulates the tension of three warring factions that switch in and out of alliances with each other. Hands down the best 3 player-only game in my opinion.

It's a shame it's self-published by a couple out in Singapore. They really outdid themselves with the quality of the production, but because of that, it's expensive and hasn't reached very many distribution channels, as you're probably aware.

Mr E.

Kemet is great and not that complex from what I hear here. Terra Mystica is a bit too complex for someone is just starting his collection?...
If just starting out I would hold off. When I teach a game I like to know the rules inside out. Reading from a rule book and muddling through in a gaming group tends to turn a lot of people off and that's when the mobile phones come out etc.

As you learn games it definitely becomes easier to digest more.
Mechanics repeat themselves and often times you can tell which way a rulebook is going before turning the page.

The most fun we have when playing is when everyone is comfortable with rules and just concentrating on your game plan.

kemet is an easier learning curve for beginners IMHO.

It's better than GW. You can't order their stuff on The War Store unless you email them and communicate an order directly that way. No site ordering for anyone. That's super dumb.

You can still sell GW products at discount though, what they restrict is the online sales direct.

I don't know if this stuff is normal but it reads like bullshit.

These companies are getting big box retailers to carry their games, and those retailers don't want little online sellers under cutting them with huge discounts, so yea the game companies are bowing to them. They rather get their game into thousands of big chain stores than have everyone buy their games from a handful of online retailers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You can still sell GW products at discount though, what they restrict is the online sales direct.

An online retailer can sell AEG at a discount, too. Per the announcement:

• Retailers can offer any price they wish at the point of sale.

As far as I know, you can't advertise ANY prices on GW stuff.

An online retailer can sell AEG at a discount, too. Per the announcement:

• Retailers can offer any price they wish at the point of sale.

As far as I know, you can't advertise ANY prices on GW stuff.

Still an advertised minimum is being set. So if a retailer wants to give you a better price, you have to contact them directly like with GW stuff. GW is more restrictive of course. GW is very selective on who even sells their stuff anyways, most retailers can't afford to carry them cause of order minimums they put in place. You used to have to spend 1,500 at minimum in GW product to even become a retailer of their products.

Played Warhammer ACG with my wife tonight. We got boned pretty hard (We were focusing on the first nemesis and then he regenerated). Did end up making it to the final location but my wife died and then I lasted just long enough to grab our first gear card of the night. It's fun but whoo boy is it tough. We might not have the best combo with Wizard/Witchhunter, but whatever.

The rule book is even worse than I was complaining about before. It took me at least 10 minutes to find the section in the rulebook(s) for enemy armor which was buried in Advanced Rules in the Learn to Play book. The glossary was of no help because I didn't know what they called armor in this game (it's resistance) and I'm not even sure there's an entry for it in the glossary. If I ever get around to designing my games, this rule book will be my case study for what not to do. If there was just an "anatomy of the cards" section in the beginning of the rule book. that would have solved the problem entirely.

I'm hoping we don't get obliterated during every single mission, but the upgrades look like they help a lot.

These companies are getting big box retailers to carry their games, and those retailers don't want little online sellers under cutting them with huge discounts, so yea the game companies are bowing to them. They rather get their game into thousands of big chain stores than have everyone buy their games from a handful of online retailers.
I don't buy that. For one, big retailers can afford to crush the online retailers in price. They can't crush them in terms of selection. If what you propose were true, these schemes would only be affecting the most popular games. The board game companies would be cutting their nose to spite their face.

EYEL1NER

So here is my haul for the week. SH came in on Wednesday, Codex on Thursday, and Mythos Tales today. Pretty stoked to get them all:
MuiOE2v.jpg
Codex:
The box for the deluxe version of this game is MASSIVE. Around 14.5 lbs. Towards the left in that first image is a couple of the codex binders. The second image shows the playmat, of which there are two that roll up and fit into the box ala the first edition of Yomi. They smell a bit odd and the artwork on them is a tad blurry, but they will do nicely. I cannot imagine that I would want to use the flimsy cardboard mats that were included and hastily thrown under the insert once I unwrapped them. The game's cards aren't overly humorous or full of parodies like Millennium Blades but there are some funny ones. I especially liked the artwork for Revolver Ocelot and the flavor text for Regular-sized Rhinoceros. The game looks to be a ton of fun and I cannot wait to learn it and introduce it to some MtG players.

Next up is Mythos Tales:
You can see the hardback book and newspaper over to the left, the map on the right, the Investigation Journal to write in on the lower center, and bookmark and other info in the middle. Additionally there is a separate book with the 9th case in it, some counters, the reference book with addresses and numbers in it, a thank you note with one piece of errata (a location on the map was mistakenly not numbered), and there was some candy in the shipping box as well. Pictured in the second image is a page from inside the hardback case book that looks lovely. I am really glad I sprung for the Kickstarter; the hardback book is very nice.

Lastly is a quick pic of Secret Hitler:
The first image at the top of the post shows the outside of the wooden box. Pictured here is the top of the regular box, the CAH Facism pack, and the comic that details Hitler's rise to power. The components can be seen many places but there really are of nice quality. I'm not sure when I'll have a group of 5+ people wanting to play a game with me, but this will go into the ONUW, Coup, Resistance, Resistance: Avalon, Coup G54: Rebellion, and other "party game requiring a bunch of people" stack.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really interested to hear about Codex. I feel like most of Sirlin's games often seem like they'll be great, but wind up feeling almost like uncanny-valley impressions of good designer games instead if that makes sense. It's also kind of hard to cut through the KS hype because he seems to have a legion of devoted and sometimes even aggro (against criticism) follower, which is...quite weird to say the least. And yet Puzzle Strike is quite decent and Codex seems like it has a lot of promise.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not sure what to think about Imperial Settlers. 4-player took a while because of people getting paralyzed about decisions, which is understandable.

2-player works okay, but if you play with normal rules there's too much meanness for our tastes, and if you play with peaceful rules certain things seem quite unbalanced.

For example, I played the Japanese card at the end of the game (that can't be razed even under normal rules) that gives you 1 VP per card you place under it, without limit. So on the final round of the game, I just dropped 10 cards under it for 10 VP + 2 VP for the card + 2 VP for having at least 3 cards. Peaceful rules give you 5 extra cards per game which made this easier.

It went from a close game to massively in my favor, and felt really BS. There are two of those cards in the Japanese deck.

Would love any recommendations for an impromptu game night tonight. We'll have seven people there. We've played a lot of One Night Ultimate Werewolf in the past, but we've inevitably hit the problem where everyone there knows everyone else so well that deception is really hard to pull off now. Anything in a similar spirit that folks could recommend? We've tried Resistance, but sort of hit the same problem.

Will be heading to the local game store in a couple hours. Doesn't necessarily have to be like Werewolf, but something that can be picked up fairly quickly is probably easier. Thanks!

Palmer_v1

Would love any recommendations for an impromptu game night tonight. We'll have seven people there. We've played a lot of One Night Ultimate Werewolf in the past, but we've inevitably hit the problem where everyone there knows everyone else so well that deception is really hard to pull off now. Anything in a similar spirit that folks could recommend? We've tried Resistance, but sort of hit the same problem.

Will be heading to the local game store in a couple hours. Doesn't necessarily have to be like Werewolf, but something that can be picked up fairly quickly is probably easier. Thanks!

Good Cop Bad Cop
Bang: The Dice Game
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.

Those are all games that involve hidden roles, but with mechanics on top of it so that figuring out who is on your team is only one portion of the game.

Good Cop Bad Cop
Bang: The Dice Game
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.

Those are all games that involve hidden roles, but with mechanics on top of it so that figuring out who is on your team is only one portion of the game.

Thanks for the suggestions! Looking into all of them now.

Edit: well, looks like I'm buying all three. Super on point suggestions, thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestions! Looking into all of them now.

Edit: well, looks like I'm buying all three. Super on point suggestions, thanks again!

I would second Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. That's my favorite hidden roles game. I also highly recommend Captain Sonar. It's a little more involved and a different genre of game, but it's feels like how Battleship should be, if you had teams.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As someone who doesn't love deception games but often winds up with groups of 6-8, also a big +1 to Bang: The Dice Game and Deception for your situation.

I'm not sure what to think about Imperial Settlers. 4-player took a while because of people getting paralyzed about decisions, which is understandable.

2-player works okay, but if you play with normal rules there's too much meanness for our tastes, and if you play with peaceful rules certain things seem quite unbalanced.

For example, I played the Japanese card at the end of the game (that can't be razed even under normal rules) that gives you 1 VP per card you place under it, without limit. So on the final round of the game, I just dropped 10 cards under it for 10 VP + 2 VP for the card + 2 VP for having at least 3 cards. Peaceful rules give you 5 extra cards per game which made this easier.

It went from a close game to massively in my favor, and felt really BS. There are two of those cards in the Japanese deck.
Interesting. Despite the theme, I never really thought of 2p IS as being really very confrontational. You can create minor nuisances I suppose, but even when you Raze the opponent still gets a nice foundation and a Wood out of it. So I think of Razing as just kind of in the mix with all the other point salad going on in that game, rather than something especially damaging. Honestly the game feels pretty multi-solitaire to me for the most part. In terms of the card power, I don't recall your particular card but there are some erratas to keep in mind: http://portalgames.pl/new_en/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Imperial-Settlers-Errata-v1.pdf

I think every faction has cards that seem pretty good, but like even for Gate/Shrine you had to spend time building up a hand instead of doing other things right? So you probably wound up doing a little better but probably not gamebreakingly (unlike those errata'd cards, which did sort of break the game in some setups).

It's an interesting game. If it didn't have such great art I probably would have bailed on it. Feel like it's a little too fiddly for what it is and think I'm just really not much of a Trzewiczek fan, but my wife really likes so I'll play it a few times a year.

I would absolutely never play it with more than two though. Sounds horrendous.

My wife wanted to play the second quest of warhammer acg today so we gave it a shot. We won by the skin of our teeth.

The nemesis was dead but the peril track was gonna kill us both with 4 wounds. I explored to finish the location card hoping i would get a grenade or something to kill the last three monsters who all had 1 health left. I didn't but i did get to draw two treasures. One of them was plate armor which gave me plus 4 health.

My wife got killed by the monster engaged with her and then i survived my monster attacks and the peril damage with one health left.

I targeted all three enemies, engaged with 2. I needed three successes and no enemy attacks. I rolled 1 wound and one blank so i needed three attacks and a shield to win the game. I rolled a success and a burst. Rerolled the burst and got the success/shield combo to win. I would have been pissed if I'd hit a success but died before i could use them.

Blizzard

Banned
My wife wanted to play the second quest of warhammer acg today so we gave it a shot. We won by the skin of our teeth.

The nemesis was dead but the peril track was gonna kill us both with 4 wounds. I explored to finish the location card hoping i would get a grenade or something to kill the last three monsters who all had 1 health left. I didn't but i did get to draw two treasures. One of them was plate armor which gave me plus 4 health.

My wife got killed by the monster engaged with her and then i survived my monster attacks and the peril damage with one health left.

I targeted all three enemies, engaged with 2. I needed three successes and no enemy attacks. I rolled 1 wound and one blank so i needed three attacks and a shield to win the game. I rolled a success and a burst. Rerolled the burst and got the success/shield combo to win. I would have been pissed if I'd hit a success but died before i could use them.
I've still never beaten the first Warhammer quest in 2-player or 4-player, no matter what team comp and strategy. I've only tried the second quest once, but lost that as well.

Interesting. Despite the theme, I never really thought of 2p IS as being really very confrontational. You can create minor nuisances I suppose, but even when you Raze the opponent still gets a nice foundation and a Wood out of it. So I think of Razing as just kind of in the mix with all the other point salad going on in that game, rather than something especially damaging. Honestly the game feels pretty multi-solitaire to me for the most part. In terms of the card power, I don't recall your particular card but there are some erratas to keep in mind: http://portalgames.pl/new_en/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Imperial-Settlers-Errata-v1.pdf
My girlfriend and I aren't fans of games where you can do mean things in general, and you can destroy someone's engine if they're playing the Japanese faction and you happen to have/build cards that are good at accumulating swords. Or, if you're Egypt with the card-destroying card. Or, if their engine involves a common card, etc.

The Gate I was talking about isn't one of the errata'd cards. Unlike all those cards, it was never given a limit, so you can stack an infinite number of points in one turn. With normal rules it's probably not a problem but with peaceful rules all players get one free common card per round, so I had 5 more VP than otherwise to throw on.

Played a 5 player Machi Koro game and the winner won by only purchasing 3 cards! Myself and another had 14 each and the other 2 players had 13 each.

He was just extremely lucky with his and other people's rolls very early in the game. He saved and bought the 30 building and then just did nothing but gain 10 coins every round. I've never seen anything like it. He was a first time player too.

Top Bottom