• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Mr E.

Can't decide if I should get card sleeves for Arkham Horror when it comes out.
Go Naked, less storage space needed and decks easier to manage. Plus once you go that route your in for life lol.

Picked up Clank the deck building "race" looting game for family fun. Terraforming Mars on schedule for tomorrow pick up.

Ohnonono

Can't decide if I should get card sleeves for Arkham Horror when it comes out.

With LCGs I sleeve the player decks that I have built for PVE type games and my current decks with a PvP one. Usually you just need about 150 sleeves ever and it helps with the shuffling.

Go Naked, less storage space needed and decks easier to manage. Plus once you go that route your in for life lol.

Picked up Clank the deck building "race" looting game for family fun. Terraforming Mars on schedule for tomorrow pick up.

I like to go naked also but now that I take my game to MeetUp and to the café I find that sleeve is a must if you taking your game to play with strangers. Most people I met so far do take good care of other people game but we often play at coffee shop or pub and there are drinks, foods etc.

And as other mention, sleeving is need for any games where there are tons of shuffling even as careful as I am with my cards, game like Mage Knight already get some creases and scruffs from all the shuffling. But yeah, I usually keep all the cards in my game naked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sleeves are required for official tournament play so I have many years of Netrunner sleeving under my belt and look forward to co-op play that doesn't require it. Was a serious pain whenever I wanted to build or tweak decks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the opinions. I'll likely go without sleeves since a) it will be less expensive and b) I will probably just be me 90% of the time playing it and I will be careful.

Looking forward to the game. Should be out this month.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
When I first got into board gaming I didn't use sleeves and quickly regretted it. Now I sleeve everything.
I've had the opposite experience of hugely regretting sleeving Legendary until I finally sucked it up and removed them all (was forcing me to constantly sleeve every new expansion). Although to be fair rarely play any single game more than 15 times a year.

fenners

I've had the opposite experience of hugely regretting sleeving Legendary until I finally sucked it up and removed them all (was forcing me to constantly sleeve every be expansion). Although to be fair rarely play any single game more than 15 times a year.

I removed the sleeves from my LOTR LCG set after realising I had a 'bad'/mismatched set of sleeves from Mayday. Was ridiculously repetitive to remove them, but felt damn good doing so, and it's actually making me dig out the cards to make decks & look at the cards ahead of playing more often.

Games are made to be played.

There was a point where I was planning to sleeve everything, but I backed off of that.The only thing I've sleeved lately is the complete hero variant foil collection for Sentinels of the Multiverse, because hey...they're foil! They feel "collectible".

I might still sleeve the Kingdom Death stuff (just because the game is so expensive).

I'll sleeve anything where knowing what the card is has a big impact on the game. For example a hidden role game like the resistance or even seven wonders duel.

If you just have to draw the top card anyway it is kept naked.

sasimirobot

I'm in the camp of where if scuffs break a game mechanic : sleeve. otherwise they seem too nerdy and "dirty" to bother. a pile of sleeved cards just feels wrong, card stock is a thing for a reason, shuffling a fresh and healthy deck of cards is an amazing feeling
. netrunner naked for life!

I only sleeve if card quality is piss poor. Pathfinder card game has awful quality cards, the edges peel easy, they scratch and mark way too easy, so I had to sleeve em all.

Blizzard

Banned
I mainly sleeve for deckbuilding games where there is constant shuffling and I will play the game often.

Dominion was the big one for me, since that game murders cards otherwise.

I sleeve for Cryptozoic's Deck Builders (I have all of them except the Cartoon Network and Hockey one). And for Viticulture's visitor cards. I've had the intent of sleeving several more games, but never did because certain sizes were out of stock everywhere for a long while. Because of that, I've gotten used to not sleeving everything and would now rather spend my board game accessory moneys on inserts for games...

Dreavus

I mainly sleeve for deckbuilding games where there is constant shuffling and I will play the game often.

Dominion was the big one for me, since that game murders cards otherwise.

Dominion was one of the few I haven't, although I probably should have. I was just lazy and liked the insert it came with (It's labeled and everything!). It was also one of the first games in my collection so that's going back several years. After sleeving the entirety of Battlecon like a madman, Dominion suddenly isn't looking THAT bad, but I dunno if it's worth it now. Where to put everything afterwards is still a problem too.

One of these days I'll get into foam core custom inserts. I have a friend who has done some really nice stuff.

I think generally if it's a card game (Dominion aside) I'll consider sleeving but otherwise I typically don't. Sometimes I'll just go penny sleeves if it's a game I don't play much. Ironically one of the few times a sleeve has actually saved the life of a game from a juice spill (truly nightmarish) was the penny sleeves I have on Flash Duel.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
After how dry and confusing some people found Agricola, I'm a little scared. Still, thanks for the heads up. I preordered at CSI since Miniature Market was out. I've been switching to Miniature Market in general since they have better preorder selection typically and lower shipping even though they're further away.

It is impossible to buy Mechs vs Minions right now. Site is completely unresponsive lol

Not able to order Mechs vs Minions so I'll just wait until Wave 2. Instead I ended up getting Cry Havoc and A Feast for Odin. Hopefully Cardhaus was updated and they were still in stock...

Taborcarn

Not able to order Mechs vs Minions so I'll just wait until Wave 2. Instead I ended up getting Cry Havoc and A Feast for Odin. Hopefully Cardhaus was updated and they were still in stock...

Too bad it probably won't be here by Saturday, I'd totally play Feast for Odin at the game day.

Mr E.

Got me a copy of Mechs vs Minions on its way.

Played Clank! Today. Good push your luck deck builder. Won't win any Mensa awards but it's a good family game. Enjoyed it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Got in on MvM. Kind of surprised they still have stock with all the website downtime today. My only issue is that box is way too damn big. I'll probably keep it in our garage.

I have had to unsubscribe from that channel; every week they come up with some new inane top 10 list. It's basically sub spam at this point.
That's harsh haha. I honestly really enjoy all the ones with Tom, Sam, and/or Zee, but I mostly just put them on in the background or while working out. Fact is they've done all of the "obvious" lists already, but I like the volume as someone who checks my subs every day and doesn't subscribe to that many channels, so I don't mind them getting a little silly or even repetitive sometimes.

Bigfoot

Does boardgame GAF have an opinion on Flash Point? I'm looking for a fun but not too heavy co-op that isn't Pandemic since everyone already owns that one. Also something with a theme that won't turn off some people. I do own Forbidden Island already.

Does boardgame GAF have an opinion on Flash Point? I'm looking for a fun but not too heavy co-op that isn't Pandemic since everyone already owns that one. Also something with a theme that won't turn off some people. I do own Forbidden Island already.

Haven't played it, but maybe Forbidden Desert or Hanabi for something different?

mercviper

I like Flashpoint a lot and I rate it on par with Pandemic. Probably my only complaint is how wonky the rules are for the fire engine so it doesn't become overpowered.

I would recommend it. It comes with simple and advanced rules along with difficulty levels.

Karkador

Banned
There are things I like about Flash Point, but I also find a lot of things about the game kind of obtuse for the average player to follow, and the dice rolls for fire are a real step down from the infection deck in Pandemic, as a gameplay mechanic.

Got MvM in.. Now it will be intresting to see will GloomHaeven or it be heavier in the end.

I actually got my MvM order, which I found surprising. Guess they didn't sell out yet in NA. I do think Gloomhaven will be heavier. It's a significantly bigger box than Scythe.

As a complete package, I like Dead Men Tell No Tales a little more than Flash Point, but if a more accessible theme is an issue, then Flash Point is a solid choice.

If a heist game isn't too criminal for your group, I suggest Burgle Bros. as another fun, light-to-mid weight co-op. Not sure how widely available it is though since it was a kickstarter.

Barsinister

Banned
"Dead Men Tell No Tales" is a good co-op with a pirate theme. Has a "Flashpoint" feel too. Pirates raiding a ghost ship that's on fire.

Edit: What Empressinyellow said

tm24

I bought Mechvs Minions and now im looking at other board games and now i have like 4 others in my amazon cart help i cant do this again.

Top Bottom