• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Finally caved in and ordered Mechs v Minions, that SU&SD review destroyed my ability to hold off.

It looks pretty solid. I would like to know how long the fun lasts through all the scenarios? I know it mixes it up "somehow", but I worry it would all feel samey.

But at least it isn't a deckbuilder. Anybody else overloaded on that?

Xater

It looks pretty solid. I would like to know how long the fun lasts through all the scenarios? I know it mixes it up "somehow", but I worry it would all feel samey.

I am done with deck builders for the time being. Even gimmick ones like Mystic Vale do nothing for me anymore. Unless somethign super special comes along, I can't see myself getting another one any time soon.

PS: Mechs vs Minions looks fantastic and I would love to get it. For that it first needs a German release though.

fenners

If they can afford to run a convention, you'd think they could afford to fix up the website.

If you read the threads about their web development overhaul process, it's ridiculously complicated. They spent a ton of time & money on an overhaul & they failed, so they're back to redoing the site, chunk by chunk - game page was first - in a more modern platform/language, but it's slow & hard as they can't break the existing site.

Doing it properly requires redoing every single page & feature of BGG. There's tons of functionality that maybe only 1% of users at most use, but that 1% will be ridiculously vocal if that feature goes away. And it's probably a different chunk of people that use each feature.... ;)

I'm happy to not be involved, honestly.

Anyway, playing Mare Nostrum Empires today! The original is an old favourite, so curious how the revamp ended up.

Deck builders are my wife's favorite type of game by far so we own a lot of them. She really liked the Harry Potter one even though game one was very basic for us. Frankly i treat them like trick taking games at this point. They all have a similar feel, but the variations are neat. The biggest thing for us is length and deckbuilders rarely go over an hour.

Protome

I've never been super into Deckbuilders.
Paperback is the only one I've kept going back to.

DTU

Banned
This was my first time going to Arkham Nights, but being in Minneapolis it's a really easy decision from here on out. If you're an Arkham fan, it's really fun. There were a few special events--the highlights including a really insightful talk about the design and creation of AHLCG from the two main designers, and Richard Launius being there for the entire weekend playing the original Arkham Horror with folks.

Playing a game of Flash Point with the submarine scenario for the first time. Damn, this is automatic hard mode even playing on the recruit difficulty level.

If they can afford to run a convention, you'd think they could afford to fix up the website.
Yesss. Something about the submarine map, even though the other map included has the same mechanics. I like the idea that the victims don't automatically go off the board and are can still die by fire.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This was my first time going to Arkham Nights, but being in Minneapolis it's a really easy decision from here on out. If you're an Arkham fan, it's really fun. There were a few special events--the highlights including a really insightful talk about the design and creation of AHLCG from the two main designers, and Richard Launius being there for the entire weekend playing the original Arkham Horror with folks.
Do you go to FFG Worlds? Pretty awesome event if you can pick one game you feel comfortable playing top-level at. I went last year for Netrunner -- not this year though because I dropped out of Netrunner about six months ago but if I lived anywhere nearby (I'm in NorCal) would be almost certain to go. Their Game Center is really nice and they do a great job on event promos.

Yesss. Something about the submarine map, even though the other map included has the same mechanics. I like the idea that the victims don't automatically go off the board and are can still die by fire.
I like that idea too. Just played another game and lost due to engine failure. :( I think this expansion is balanced with the structural engineer in mind, which I don't have.

I've been using the DnDice app with Flash Point. I think the RNG is flawed, since the same numbers were rolled twice on two separate occasions. And it was the same location both times, really fucking me up.

Blizzard

Banned
I only own Dominion and Valley of the Kings, so I'm not overloaded on deckbuilding. I like the genre, and I like tableau builders as well.

Harry Potter will be my third one and I'm quite looking forward to trying that once the birthday gets here.

Lupercal

Banned
Just came back from our Zombicide fest, 57 tiles and 1000+ zombies, pretty fun, although half the people didn't show up because of rain :( I'll upload some pics soon.

I like that idea too. Just played another game and lost due to engine failure. :( I think this expansion is balanced with the structural engineer in mind, which I don't have.

I've been using the DnDice app with Flash Point. I think the RNG is flawed, since the same numbers were rolled twice on two separate occasions. And it was the same location both times, really fucking me up.

Eh, I think it's balanced as is. Maybe it depends on the size of your group, but in my opinion it's just the right amount of difficulty for 4+ people. I don't have the structural engineer either.

Lupercal

Banned
Will this have the run down of instructions?

We just make a quick PvP capture the flag map because we arrived way to late as it is.
2 prisons for each side and rue morgue circle in the middle.
Some extra street tiles for filler from season 1 and voila.
Filled up the middle with a bunch of zombies and one abomination for kicks.

We had 6 people a side near the end and when someone died you could respawn with another survivor.
Each team had 10 lives. Team A won with 5 lives left, a double berserker abomination combo ruined team B.

I am done with deck builders for the time being. Even gimmick ones like Mystic Vale do nothing for me anymore. Unless somethign super special comes along, I can't see myself getting another one any time soon.

Of course the day after I post that Dale of Merchants 2 shows up in the post from Kickstarter.

Nice production, not sure I'll ever play it more than once but you never know.

KiKaL

Went over to a friend's and played Carcassone with him, his girlfriend and my wife. I previously have only played the App version so knew how to play but not 100%.

We played with the river. They said that we had to play all of the river tiles first but could not play meeples on them until the river was complete. I thought that was odd and mentioned that I thought you could play meeples just like any other tile. No big deal, I thought, will just play their house rules or maybe I am wrong in the first place.

We get through the river tiles and then my friend plays his first tile. He then placed a meeple on that tile...and then the one next to it. Apparently, they had been playing that you get to play a meeple on your tile and then also on the tile you connect to. I was a bit confused, I asked why he was able to do that. Him seeing that I was confused asked how I normally played. I said that I had always played you could only play a single meeple. We then proceeded on with placing one meeple and not being able to play a second meeple on a connected square.

The last rule they had was that someone could take over your kingdom tile. So let's say I played a kingdom tile, placed a meeple in it to claim it. On my next turn, I could connect to that kingdom and place an addition in the kingdom meeple. So I now have two meeples in the kingdom. Another player could also be adding kingdom tiles to this tile group and adding meeples each time. Then whoever has the most meeples in the kingdom when it's closed gets all the points. I went with it but oh man, so many things wrong.

They really enjoy the game too and it seems they have played it a lot. I didn't have the heart to keep telling them rules. I figured, I mentioned a few things which they implemented and if we play again I will explain the rest. It was still fun, just felt like a unique variant.

Mr E.

1. You do not place meeples on the river tiles
2. Only place Meeples on your own tile (1per turn)
3. You cannot add another meeple to another's castle directly. It can be achieved though by joining up two separate castles.

1. You do not place meeples on the river tiles
2. Only place Meeples on your own tile (1per turn)
3. You cannot add another meeple to another's castle directly. It can be achieved though by joining up two separate castles.
You cannot place meeples directly on the river, but you can still place them on normal features on river tiles (roads, buildings, monastery, farm).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's weird. The rules to Carc are super simple tbh. It's worth reading them over once and playing it right. fwiw I don't like The River though. Just feels like a pre-game waste of time though I know you can sort of mold the type of game that will come after via River placement, but that's way too deep and long-term for Carc (for me :p).

Or just start fresh with Carc: Gold Rush. My favorite version of Carc and I don't think these are ever coming to the app.

That's weird. The rules to Carc are super simple tbh. It's worth reading them over once and playing it right. fwiw I don't like The River though. Just feels like a pre-game waste of time though I know you can sort of mold the type of game that will come after via River placement, but that's way too deep and long-term for Carc (for me :p).

Or just start fresh with Carc: Gold Rush. My favorite version of Carc and I don't think these are ever coming to the app.
Yeah the variants are great but i only feel the need to own one and south seas is a lot of fun.

I'm struggling with deciding between buying The Manhattan Project or Energy Empire. Any recomendations from anyone? When is Energy Empire coming out?

Even on phone, the spy is the one who is typically going to be constantly staring at the phone, it is a major problem with the concept of the game. You still have to memorize a bunch of cards and their details, otherwise you are looking at multiple images. Those who aren't the spy don't have to look at the image much at all once you've seen your card once. It's a big flaw with the game, and what everyone I try playing with complains about, as it's too easy to spot the spy.

Only way we've found to try to avoid this, is only playing in smaller groups around a tight table where the cheat sheet is within everyones view so the spy is not so obvious.... but it's still difficult to see all the cards on the cheat sheet since they are all partially covered on the sheet, and hard to see the small partially covered images from all angles.

No spy in their right mind would oust themself by looking at the sheet. The sheet is for the spy when he feels he's gotten enough clues to call out the location, I'd say.

When I'm the spy, at risk of being caught, even if I don't really know and I'm not ready, I'll reveal myself and review the locations with the clues I've gathered.

I agree that it has some problems. My friends like it, because we bust eachother's' balls about the dumb questions we end up asking, but yeah, all the games essentially feel the same, and being the spy is tough.

Played Betrayal at the House on the Hill, with the new expansion. This game has always been hit or miss. It's usually a miss because the haunt happens too early, and nobody wants to use their imagination or get into their roles. This time though, it was a real good time. The haunt didn't show up even with 7 omens on the table, and the mansion was huge at this point. I was pretending to be Donald Pleasance, and I had a lot of fun imagining the plot of this movie, which involved Donald Pleasance going upstairs, immediately finds the bathroom, where he's stabbed by a puppet, finds a cat, then finds two more cats in a wall, fighting, gets scratched, has his physical traits bottom out before the haunt even happens, then goes on to be the traitor for a scenario called Monster Mash. Lots of fun. The other players' patience was growing thin near the end, but it was still the most fun I've had with the game. The expansion adds 10 new items, omens, and events, while doubling the number of haunts, and adds 20 new rooms. Lots of good content.

I bet playing with imaginative players would make this game even better.

Experien

Even on phone, the spy is the one who is typically going to be constantly staring at the phone, it is a major problem with the concept of the game. You still have to memorize a bunch of cards and their details, otherwise you are looking at multiple images. Those who aren't the spy don't have to look at the image much at all once you've seen your card once. It's a big flaw with the game, and what everyone I try playing with complains about, as it's too easy to spot the spy.

Only way we've found to try to avoid this, is only playing in smaller groups around a tight table where the cheat sheet is within everyones view so the spy is not so obvious.... but it's still difficult to see all the cards on the cheat sheet since they are all partially covered on the sheet, and hard to see the small partially covered images from all angles.

My house rule for SpyFall is pulling out 5-6 locations, make sure everyone knows them and then deal out cards. If we have less than max players, we leave one location card out on the table. It is the only way I could play this game and think of keeping it.

No spy in their right mind would oust themself by looking at the sheet. The sheet is for the spy when he feels he's gotten enough clues to call out the location, I'd say.

When I'm the spy, at risk of being caught, even if I don't really know and I'm not ready, I'll reveal myself and review the locations with the clues I've gathered.

I agree that it has some problems. My friends like it, because we bust eachother's' balls about the dumb questions we end up asking, but yeah, all the games essentially feel the same, and being the spy is tough.

Played Betrayal at the House on the Hill, with the new expansion. This game has always been hit or miss. It's usually a miss because the haunt happens too early, and nobody wants to use their imagination or get into their roles. This time though, it was a real good time. The haunt didn't show up even with 7 omens on the table, and the mansion was huge at this point. I was pretending to be Donald Pleasance, and I had a lot of fun imagining the plot of this movie, which involved Donald Pleasance going upstairs, immediately finds the bathroom, where he's stabbed by a puppet, finds a cat, then finds two more cats in a wall, fighting, gets scratched, has his physical traits bottom out before the haunt even happens, then goes on to be the traitor for a scenario called Monster Mash. Lots of fun. The other players' patience was growing thin near the end, but it was still the most fun I've had with the game. The expansion adds 10 new items, omens, and events, while doubling the number of haunts, and adds 20 new rooms. Lots of good content.

I bet playing with imaginative players would make this game even better.

We don't even roll for the haunt before 5 omen cards show up at this point. Randomly starting a haunt on a really unlucky roll just ruins the game because nobody has any equipment and the house hasn't really been set up yet. Waiting until 5 or 6 omen cards have been drawn probably ruins a few of the haunts that can possibly happen, but it makes the game so much better and more rewarding overall.

The biggest problem with the game is that the traitor is inevitably the one whiny person who can't be bothered to read their rules or figure out what they have to do by themselves and either flat out refuses to play anymore or just does a terrible job at it.

DTU

Banned
Do you go to FFG Worlds? Pretty awesome event if you can pick one game you feel comfortable playing top-level at. I went last year for Netrunner -- not this year though because I dropped out of Netrunner about six months ago but if I lived anywhere nearby (I'm in NorCal) would be almost certain to go. Their Game Center is really nice and they do a great job on event promos.

Yep, I went last year for the first time and will be going every year from here on out. My main game is Imperial Assault, likely to be followed by Destiny at the May track of Worlds next year.

joelseph

Picked up Longhorn while on vacation in New Mexico. Interesting little 2 player. I will have to play a few more times to figure out all the angles.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Guys. Guys...

ods0Eln.jpg

I am so excited.

EYEL1NER

Guys. Guys...

ods0Eln.jpg

I am so excited.
Nice, should be fun. Getting the expansion was a nice grab also (depending on the price, I guess).
My copy of Doom has never even been sorted. I feel like I would really love any of the FFG Overlord games that I own (Doom, Gears, Descent 1E, Descent 2E, Imperial Assault...) but I'll have to wait until I move to a more populated area so I can find players. I saw a huge Super Dungeon Explore auction earlier with professionally painted minis, multiple expansions, and almost a second complete core set worth of minis, and I started giving some serious thought to getting it, and then I realized that I wouldn't be able to play it either. And as cool as it looked, I would much rather play Imperial Assault over it if I had the chance to get one of them played.

I'm pretty bummed at the moment. I've been sick since last Sunday, for about 8 days now, and I don't think it'll be over in time for game night at the store tomorrow. I missed last week, as well as four separate sessions of X-Wing that people got together to play between Monday and Sunday. I need to play something, but I don't think I will be past this by tomorrow... :(

EDIT: Damn, I've got points expiring at MM in a day. I don't really know that there is anything I desperately need right now though. The new War of the Ring expansion did just come out and the Heroes of the Resistance X-Wing expansion drops in two weeks or so. But there is also a huge sale starting tomorrow at MM, which means I'll have a hell of a time ordering anything from them. I think I might just put the points towards the new edition of Robinson Crusoe.

Bii

We don't even roll for the haunt before 5 omen cards show up at this point. Randomly starting a haunt on a really unlucky roll just ruins the game because nobody has any equipment and the house hasn't really been set up yet. Waiting until 5 or 6 omen cards have been drawn probably ruins a few of the haunts that can possibly happen, but it makes the game so much better and more rewarding overall.

The biggest problem with the game is that the traitor is inevitably the one whiny person who can't be bothered to read their rules or figure out what they have to do by themselves and either flat out refuses to play anymore or just does a terrible job at it.

Whenever we introduce new players to the game, that new player ALWAYS ends up becoming the traitor. If we have an experienced player that wasn't already playing the game, we'd send them with the traitor to read their rules/abilities. More often than not, they always forget one piece of important info that could have won them the game.

I just got the expansion in today and will get a few games going tomorrow with three other players.

Whenever we introduce new players to the game, that new player ALWAYS ends up becoming the traitor. If we have an experienced player that wasn't already playing the game, we'd send them with the traitor to read their rules/abilities. More often than not, they always forget one piece of important info that could have won them the game.

I just got the expansion in today and will get a few games going tomorrow with three other players.

It's gotten to a point where if I'm playing (especially with family), I'll just be the moderator so that I can help the traitor understand what they're supposed to do. Usually the people working together don't need the extra help, but it works well to go between the two groups and see if they understand what they're supposed to do.

Blizzard

Banned
Betrayal at House on the Hill literally has a houserule that we don't play it, apparently. Our host informed us that for the near-Halloween game night, we will be allowed to play it for that night only without he and his wife objecting. :p

Now it's time, I finally got to play Feast for Odin! 2-player, short game which is 6 rounds instead of 7. Bear in mind this was the short game and I did horribly, so this is not some indepth review.

Overall I really like it, and it feels miles less boring, and more unique, than Agricola.

I really like how open it feels.
You start the game with literally 60+ action spaces. Many require payment, but once you get a few resources the possibilites expand dramatically. I am unsure if the balance is perfect, but apparently it went through testing starting in 2014 so I sure hope some balance got put in there.

Occupations add replay value.
Each player starts with a "starting" occupation card which can affect your overall strategy by giving you a bonus in some way (e.g. you get a resource each time you hunt game). Throughout the game you can get more occupations which bend the rules, add bonuses, and so on. There are two additional decks ala Agricola with what I assume are even fancier occupations.

For example, you can be a pirate -- you lose a point because pirates are evil, but at any time, as much as you want, you can spend a wood and 6 silver to build a treasure chest. You can be a princess -- each time you build a house, you get free silverware. You can be a drunkard -- each time you raid and fail, even on purpose, you get free consolation mead.

Interaction is minimal.
If you are doing 2-player then you may try the same strategy as your opponent occasionally, like fighting over whaling or something, but a lot of the time you are doing two different things. Certain things are theoretically limited like special resources or buildings.

The Tetris income and bonus concept feels very unique.
For those unfamiliar with the game, everyone has a sudoku-looking board with stuff like income spaces, bonus spaces, and penalty spaces. Each round you earn the lowest visible income number, but you have to cover parts of the board following various rules before you can increase your income. Green tiles cannot be placed directly next to each other, only diagonally. Blue tiles are luxury resources that can be placed wherever you want. If you surround bonus spaces but do NOT cover them, they give you special resources every round. If you cover penalty spaces, you avoid -1 for each space. Throughout the game, all players build a tetris-style board layout attempting to maximize their income and minimize penalties. Various types of food cannot be used for this purpose, but you can build a special food house or use actions which exchange the food for fancier resource types.

You can also buy houses and ships which open up other possibilities for storing resources, getting bonuses, and/or taking actions.

You have to feed your vikings, but it's not hard.
Each player has a little banquet table they must tetris up with food each round to avoid point penalties. You get free harvest food throughout the game, and this is generally enough with some spare silver to avoid any problems.

Dice elements seem fine if you remember the reroll rule.
The game comes with nice D8 and D12 dice. These are used for hunting, whaling, and raiding elements. I screwed myself over 4+ times failing these actions because I forgot a key rule: You get to roll up to 3 times, overwriting your result each time. This helps against bad rolls. Additionally, you can spend certain weapons or resources to improve your rolls after the fact. If you fail, you get a weapon and resource without spending anything, and on certain spaces you even get worker(s) back as extra compensation. The result seems like a nice balance between dice rolling and strategy.

Rules are acceptable but take some study.
I had read some of the rules before the game, but there was a lot of time spent puzzling over sections. It's been ages since I looked at the Agricola rules and I think these are an improvement. There are a good many visual examples, and lots of nice boxes, but some boxes just aren't where you expect. The dice reroll thing is on a totally different page from the detailed explanation of whaling, for example. Occasionally there are small errors like white tiles being called dark yellow, or an example board in the appendix being invalid in the English rules, but overall it's not awful.

The game has some interesting historical stuff.
There is a 20-page almanac with history about the Vikings if you're into that. You might think the "Thing Square" on your board is dumb. But did you know the "Thing" was actually a people's court and assembly according to old Germanic law? And in Switzerland, it is still used? Now you do.

The overall concept is not hard to learn, but understanding all the actions takes time.
You get resource tiles, you cover penalties, you acquire stuff worth points, and you trade stuff for other stuff. However, figuring out which actions to go for, remembering everything, and optimizing your board layout without screwing yourself with negative actions really takes some time and thought.

Scoring is a spreadsheet but not awful.
Scoring is a big category list like Agricola, but everything is actually pretty easy to add up since you just look for things with point value markers and then count up -1 squares.

I need to play it more and also try solo (your action choices from the previous round block the current round), but I am quite happy with it.

Thanks for the thoughts, sounds pretty good.

I backed the Medici card game on kickstarter. I like push your luck in general and don't have an auction game, so getting the bundle made a lot of sense.

Hopefully it hits a few stretch and has that "lost cities" vibe that it appears to have.

Taborcarn

Thanks for the Feast for Odin impressions. It's currently in stock at CSI and I'm really tempted, even though I know I probably shouldn't get it. (Lack of free money and time are the main reasons).

EDIT: Ugh and I pulled the trigger because I'm weak. Mainly just from fear that it won't be available when I do want it, and now there are only 3 copies left in stock (from close to 100 early this morning I think). I also picked up the newest Ashes expansions.

Blizzard

Banned
I just can't get excited by a board with a million choices on it.
I'm the opposite since I rather like sandbox "you can do anything" stuff for replayability and strategy. In practice, I tried a bit of everything while I learned the action spaces and did awful. Playing to the strengths of your occupation cards will almost certainly be more restricted and more successful.

Played Betrayal Again.

Could have been an awesome haunt.. Would have been a blast if not for some ill written, unspecific rules.

The whole point of the haunt was avoided, as the heroes simply killed the traitor and refused to participate in the mini game that was clearly intended to be the definitive goal for the heroes.

Karkador

Banned
Played 7 Wonders Duel last night for the first time. It's pretty good! It looked like I was going to run away with the game, as I racked up a ton of Blue point cards, but the final score was actually very close (67 to 69). I wish the regular game had some of the changes and improvements they made with this one.

I love the smaller cards, too. This is a nice balance between production value and compact design.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played 7 Wonders Duel last night for the first time. It's pretty good! It looked like I was going to run away with the game, as I racked up a ton of Blue point cards, but the final score was actually very close (67 to 69). I wish the regular game had some of the changes and improvements they made with this one.

I love the smaller cards, too. This is a nice balance between production value and compact design.

I love Duel. It hurt my feelings when SUSD didn't like it, though not surprising given they don't even like 7W. I realized that when you like a game they hate on, instead of being endearing their commentary feels obnoxiously reductivist. :p Definitely in my top 10 2p games, and looking forward to the expansion because it will address pretty much my one issue with the game, which is variety of cards.

Blizzard

Banned
It's definitely a duel, and if you get behind you're pretty screwed. I don't really feel bad when I lose it, which is a good thing in my book. I really like the design and changes they made.

I didn't know there was an expansion!

Top Bottom