• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I actually got my MvM order, which I found surprising. Guess they didn't sell out yet in NA. I do think Gloomhaven will be heavier. It's a significantly bigger box than Scythe.
They said they made like 30,000 units for initial print run which i feel is a lot for board games. I think people just a worry and think it would be sold out like regular board games with usual smaller print run than that.

Blizzard

Banned
Seasons, Machi Koro, Love Letter and 7 Wonders
Don't take this post too seriously, but here you go.

Seasons: I know nothing about this game. How good can a game be if I know nothing about it?!

Machi Koro: We promptly got sick of this game. If you have all the expansions it MIGHT be sort of balanced, but otherwise it can be very swingy, have an overpowering optimal strategy even with randomization, and have a lot of turns where you can't do anything because someone steals your gold or you have bad rolls.

Love Letter: This isn't Love Letter Batman. Love Better Batman is better because it adds an extra mechanic for getting tokens, plus it's BATMAN.

7 Wonders: OK, it's hard to argue against this one. If you want a 2-player game, I highly recommend 7 Wonders Duel instead.

tm24

Oh, there's an actual 2 player version of 7 wonders now? Ok thats getting bought. And i might wait on Machi Koro now. But 7 wonders duel sounds great

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, there's an actual 2 player version of 7 wonders now? Ok thats getting bought. And i might wait on Machi Koro now. But 7 wonders duel sounds great
Side note, I am serious about preferring Batman Love Letter unless someone hates Batman.

Opinions vary with Machi Koro. If you're playing with easygoing people who just like throwing dice, it might be okay. If you're playing with hardcore competitive people, maybe not. Either way it's an easy way to save a bit of money.

I made a writeup on 7 Wonders Duel: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1499046/simple-rule-comparison-duel-vs-original-7-wonders

Most people seem to agree it is far better than the 2-player version of the main game, but it is ONLY for 2 players. I really like it. For what it's worth, it's top 10 in both "overall" and "strategy" on boardgamegeek with 12k ratings.

Seasons, Machi Koro, Love Letter and 7 Wonders

I second 7 Wonders Duel. Seasons is actually pretty good, but I traded mine away so take that for what you will. It's a solid mid-weight game with dice drafting and card combinations. There's possible card drafting but that's more served if people are familiar with the cards in the first place since it's all front-loaded.

Love Letter is okay. It's cheap and it serves a purpose for being a very quick, easy-to-explain filler, but it's a filler. Machi Koro is a light game, very random and can play much too long for what the game is. I have it and the first expansion and am pretty much looking to trade it away because the only good thing I like about it is the artwork. I did also back the Villages of Valeria kickstarter which is pretty much a fantasy-based Machi Koro with more mechanics and decisions

Xater

Here is the stuff I bought. Well I won the Logic Cards.

img_0267gqjbb.jpg

I couldn't bring myself to buy Cottage Garden. It looks like a boring version of Patchwork.

7 wonders duel is nothing like regular 7 wonders , it's a very good 2 players game though. However, I like 2 player variant of regular 7 Wonders. People think it's bad because of dummy player but it is sore of misleading to call it's a dummy player, its more like a neutral city that both player get to manipulate. I think 2 player 7 wonders is really underrate.

I also find Machi Koro to be pretty boring and if you play with just core someone will find a combo that they could repeat over and over and make for not vwry fun game.

Xater

Ok Powergrid The Card game is great. You really get the feel of the big game in a way shorter time frame. The two player variant in this is also actually good.

Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu to me is way better than vanilla Pandemic. Enjoyed palying that a lot. I might even enjoy it more than Pandemic with the first expansion. I think the great old ones are kinda cooler than the mutations.

Blizzard

Banned
Feast for Odin first impressions:

Positive:
  • The artwork is great. I love Norse-themed stuff, ala Skyrim.
  • There is a 20-page historical almanac giving the history of tons of terms in the game. I didn't realize this would be so educational.
  • It made me happy to see the D8 and D12 dice.
  • The cardboard punches very cleanly. Maybe only 5-10 pieces out of hundreds had little tabs of paper come out with them, and I could cut those off without damaging the pieces.
  • The included trays and bags are nice. I only added one ziploc bag.
Neutral:
  • The (wooden?) pieces are lightweight and feel like Scythe's pieces. *update* Actually, I think they feel a little more solid and hefty than Scythe, maybe like Agricola.
  • This game will convince you that Uwe Rosenberg owns stock in the cardboard industry.
Negative:
  • The errata sheet on top of the rules has a small typo in it, ha.
  • The meeples are oddly shaped, like tiny buttplugs. Just forget I ever mentioned this and you'll be fine.
  • One player board has a little wrinkle and dent in the cardboard, but it's not too major.

Sentinels of the Multiverse (digital) is on sale for a $1 but I can't bring myself to buy it. How do people play a game with such bad art and graphic design??

Mr E.

Does boardgame GAF have an opinion on Flash Point? I'm looking for a fun but not too heavy co-op that isn't Pandemic since everyone already owns that one. Also something with a theme that won't turn off some people. I do own Forbidden Island already.

I like Flash point and I like the Fire spreading mechanic it feels thematic, fire can spread randomly etc. The fire engine can be over powered but just leave it out if needed.

+1's on Burgle Bros and Dead men tell no tales.

One of my favourites is The Captain is Dead Episode 1 plays 1-7 players and comes with 18 Characters. Downside being is that it's a game crafter game so components are not over produced but are good for Game crafter. It's Star Trek in a box with humour.

If game crafter is not your thing then Lucky Days because AEG have announced today that they have picked up the game and will be adding to there line up Q1 2017. No other info is announced about it. I expect this to do well for them.

I have Episode 2 and just backed Episode 3 on KS.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Feast for Odin first impressions:

Positive:
  • The artwork is great. I love Norse-themed stuff, ala Skyrim.
  • There is a 20-page historical almanac giving the history of tons of terms in the game. I didn't realize this would be so educational.
  • It made me happy to see the D8 and D12 dice.
  • The cardboard punches very cleanly. Maybe only 5-10 pieces out of hundreds had little tabs of paper come out with them, and I could cut those off without damaging the pieces.
  • The included trays and bags are nice. I only added one ziploc bag.
Neutral:
  • The (wooden?) pieces are lightweight and feel like Scythe's pieces. *update* Actually, I think they feel a little more solid and hefty than Scythe, maybe like Agricola.
  • This game will convince you that Uwe Rosenberg owns stock in the cardboard industry.
Negative:
  • The errata sheet on top of the rules has a small typo in it, ha.
  • The meeples are oddly shaped, like tiny buttplugs. Just forget I ever mentioned this and you'l be fine.
  • One player board has a little wrinkle and dent in the cardboard, but it's not too major.

Difficult to learn? About how long was the playtime?

Has anyone here played Tannhauser at all? I realize the game is out of print, but I'm thinking of grabbing a copy from eBay. Sam from Dice Tower mentions it a lot and I find he and I have fairly similar tastes in games. (TI3 is among my favorite games, if not my favorite game.)

Got a chance to try out my newly acquired Fury of Dracula with some friends.

We think we've got the game down. I was able to make copies of Dracula's mini map at work that are easy to read and can be written on.

Didn't use the advanced rules for learning the game...I think they would have helped Dracula not get his ass kicked.

Blizzard

Banned
Difficult to learn? About how long was the playtime?
I won't have any time to look at the rules or try singleplayer until later this weekend at the earliest. The rules run 24 pages, but they look reasonably friendly with graphical examples and such.

The rules are also on BGG if you want to take a look.

*edit* In case people think I'm joking, prototype meeples:
pic2702440_mdswsw2.jpg

Production meeples:
odinvzs15.png

Bigfoot

I like Flash point and I like the Fire spreading mechanic it feels thematic, fire can spread randomly etc. The fire engine can be over powered but just leave it out if needed.

+1's on Burgle Bros and Dead men tell no tales.

One of my favourites is The Captain is Dead
Sounds like there is lots of cool co-op games out there. I also just learned of Castle Panic and a dice version of Pandemic. Maybe I'll just pick 6 and roll a dice to decide what to buy!

Sounds like there is lots of cool co-op games out there. I also just learned of Castle Panic and a dice version of Pandemic. Maybe I'll just pick 6 and roll a dice to decide what to buy!

I kinda like Castle Panic, but I find it too easy to win. I haven't played with either of the expansions though, which I hear improves on the game. Dice version of Pandemic is interesting, need to get another play of that to see if I like it more or less than regular Pandemic.

A few more suggestions: Escape! Cursed Temple or Zombie City is a really cool, real-time co-op. Takes 10 minutes to play, tense, dice-rolling fun. Very light game.

Bii

Had Betrayal at House on the Hill: Window's Walk it preordered through Amazon US for a little while at $24.99...checked it just now and the price dropped to $20.49. Tried getting an adjustment since it's in the shipping phase (but not shipped yet) but no dice. :(

KJ869

Has anyone here played Tannhauser at all? I realize the game is out of print, but I'm thinking of grabbing a copy from eBay. Sam from Dice Tower mentions it a lot and I find he and I have fairly similar tastes in games. (TI3 is among my favorite games, if not my favorite game.)
Not that good. I was interested when it was coming out back in the day but found it boring and uninspired

Finally bit at a decent price for Blood Rage at $39. I've been wanting to play this game for so long. I think Terraforming Mars will be my last purchase of the year... and maybe a TIME Stories expansion.

You're totally right about Fire Engine. Didn't realize how op it is until I played in a group of 4+. I don't think or remember it being so bad in a game of 3 though.

I like Flash Point. The theme will grab you in. My group got bored of the base game (I think cause of the Fire Engine; you will realize that everyone has to play around the Fire Engine and make moves more predictable, lessening the decision making). The base game has modifiers to make the games more difficult though, in case your group is good at co-op games. I recommend the expansions if you end of enjoying the base game though. Each expansion only adds a few maps and one or two mechanics, but for some reason, its enough to make the game more challenging. Makes the game feel that there's more at stake and increases the decision making just enough.

Ok Powergrid The Card game is great. You really get the feel of the big game in a way shorter time frame. The two player variant in this is also actually good.
Nice! I may pick it up based on the good two player variant alone. My wife like Powergrid, but we never play it because the two player game isn't the greatest. This could be a good substitute.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wow, went to a local store just the browse around. All star wars merch 50% off sale. Got Rebellion for 50 bucks. It was meant to be.

Xater

Nice! I may pick it up based on the good two player variant alone. My wife like Powergrid, but we never play it because the two player game isn't the greatest. This could be a good substitute.

The 2 player variant is very easy to play. It basically just always removes the fourth power plant and some of the cheap resources. This way it keeps being interesting even with two people. Also requires very little upkeep. I highly recommend the game. Also nice that this goes up to six players like the normal game. I can see this being played with the full player count more often than the real thing from now on.

emag

From what I've seen of PG:TCG, it looks almost exactly like PG with the board stripped out. Auction power plants in just about the same way as the base game, buy resources as in the base game, consume resources to fire power plants and collect money (with each power plant providing straight electro instead of powering cities). Victory is decided by who has most power (income) on the last turn.

One would think that there would be better auction games than Power Grid-minus-board, but maybe missing something in my reductionist reasoning.

Man if I could find that game around these parts for so cheap I'd totally get it as well.

Not sure where you're located but deal is still on if you're located in the US. It's on Jet, but you have to opt out of free returns and pay with debit, then add promo code "SAVE10".

tm24

Ok, i bought Love Letter Batman, 7 Wonder: Duel and Power Grid : TCG and some Blood Bowl:TM expansions because Blood Bowl is great

fenners

Is there a way to make BGG's search function not be shit? Why does searching by subject show every fucking post of a thread?

Google's site search makes it a little better. :/ Like a lot of bgg things, they're hampered by an outdated database model, never mind the front-end model.

Playing a game of Flash Point with the submarine scenario for the first time. Damn, this is automatic hard mode even playing on the recruit difficulty level.
Google's site search makes it a little better. :/ Like a lot of bgg things, they're hampered by an outdated database model, never mind the front-end model.
If they can afford to run a convention, you'd think they could afford to fix up the website.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BGG is old school hahah (both good and bad, but the bad stuff does seem relatively simple to fix). I don't think running a con has much to do with the shape of it though. :p

I just use googs and pretty much never think to use bgg's own search. The one protip (not really that fancy but still) for BGG I have is pretty much every new game I play I go to the Rules forum and read the 5-10 hottest threads. Sometimes you get straight-up erratas, and you almost always learn 3-4 material things about the game that you wouldn't otherwise (even watching a playthrough or tutorial in some cases).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awesome. Can't wait! Hopefully it will release in the next few weeks. How is Arkham Nights?

I saw on BGG that it's looking like November for retail release. Great to here the positive impressions though as I'm pretty excited after the reading the rules. Might even go to Arkham Nights one of these years given how much I've been into Elder Sign and Eldritch the past year or so, and hopefully LCG in the near future.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I saw on BGG that it's looking like November for retail release. Great to here the positive impressions though as I'm pretty excited after the reading the rules. Might even go to Arkham Nights one of these years given how much I've been into Elder Sign and Eldritch the past year or so, and hopefully LCG in the near future.

I downloaded the rules, but haven't read them yet. If I lived closer I would like to go. Maybe one day.

I ordered the Mountains of Madness expansion for Eldritch, should get it next week. Also bought another set of the Arkham bone dice which I use for Eldritch.

Think my wife might have got me some cool monster token holders from Etsy foe Christmas. Those stupid plastic holders messed up a lot of my tokens in AH.

Noaloha

Just finished playing through the tutorial scenario for Arkham Horror TCG (a rather polished and perfectly functional TTS upload was added to Workshop recently). I had a blast!

I played as Roland (the recommended 1-p investigator). Actually managed to squeak out a very, very close win -- I won't go into exactly why (so as not spoil the scenario) but it basically came down to an unavoidable token-pull which was to decide life or death for the investigator. Fortune favoured me and I was able to chalk down a turn-5 win with 4 victory points.

I'm definitely going to play again, hopefully later today; looking forward to messing around with other decks, combining two decks for solo play and dipping my toes into custom deckbuilding. As is, that was a very nice first impression and the game just jumped to Definitely Purchase status.

*edit -- wait, no. Turn 6 win, not Turn 5. I counted total doom tokens at game end (5) but you don't place a token on the 1st turn, so yeah, game end was Turn 6.

Top Bottom