• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

Re: My board game troubles
Thanks, guys. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I've been debating posting on the store in Columbia's FB page a call out to anyone who would like to start up a BattleCON league, or at least demo the game with me. But while I wait for Brad to put up a Kickstarter for a storage box, I still do not have a storage solution. For the few of you who have mentioned BattleCON in here before, you all know how tough it could be to try to take an unsorted War, Dev, Fate, and stack of promos into a store and sit down to play it quickly. The amount of tokens in Dev alone makes it a hassle.

Maybe I'll try to at least go in every other week on a Saturday or something though and either walk up to a group at a table and introduce myself or just take 5 or 6 different games in and sit down and see who comes over.

At the very least, I need to start looking at solo games (actual solo games and not games where you just play all the roles, since I can't get into those that easily). I own Phantom Leader and Thunderbolt/Apache Leader; they are a bit complex and I've never been able to play them. I have sat down with both of them on different occasions and opened the rules and tried to figure it out but it never worked out for me. I did watch a 40 minute video earlier of the progression through a single day in a game of TAL and it hyped me up on that game again. I think I'll take it into the local store next Tuesday and if no one shows up again, I'll try to play it.
And speaking of Thunderbolt Apache Leader: Does anyone have the PICO miniatures for it that you can order through DVG? And how vital is a counter tray? I know a counter tray isn't required to play the game, but without a tray that can easily separate and store counters, how hard is it going to be to play a game like that? I guess it's $19.99 for the DVG Deep Dish counter trays, so it isn't breaking the bank or anything. And I want to get Hornet Leader and the Hornet Leader Cthulhu expansion at some point, so then I would have trays for three different Leader games.

W. Eric Martin tweeted that the Alien Frontiers big box is $200 MSRP?

ushJCRI.gif
$200?! Fucking Game Salute...
I absolutely love Alien Frontiers but I never felt like I needed anything extra added to the game. The Faction packs just plain old didn't look appealing to me anyway. I'll be good with my vanilla 3rd Edition Alien Frontiers forever.

It's news that is at least a month old, but I just saw in a BGG news update that Matt Leacock was showing off the expansion to Pandemic: The Cure at Spiel. I missed the initial announcement but I'm glad to hear that The Cure isn't dead and forgotten about.

Bigfoot

I'm glad the last post mentioned Pandemic: The Cure. I recently purchased it but never owned regular Pandemic, having only played it twice. I've been on vacation this last week and my cousin and her husband has been staying with us. They brought regular Pandemic and since Saturday we have played 5 games of Pandemic and 7 of The Cure.

I think all of us agree that The Cure is the "better" game of the two. Mostly because it is quicker and because everyone feels more involved as it is hard for one person to run the show. It is a lot more fluid though and not as strategic as regular Pandemic. Both have a fair bit of luck involved but The Cure has a bit more so that might turn people off.

I'll have to play some two player Cure with my wife. If that goes well maybe we will look at adding the expansion when it comes out.

I like the cure a lot but I feel there is too big of a gap between a good start letting you smash it and a bad start leaving you completely out of hope.

Maybe the expansion helps with that. Besides the huge box and price, it looks pretty solid.

I just got done painting some of the Gorechosen and I love how you can cross them over into Silver Tower. I heard they are planning a big expansion later this year.

Is that meant to be smoke on the hammer, where most people put flames? (can't really see on the pic)

If it is, that's actually a cool idea.

Is that meant to be smoke on the hammer, where most people put flames? (can't really see on the pic)

If it is, that's actually a cool idea.
Yes it is. I never could get flame painted to my liking so I thought making trail of smoke looks better (look like comic book) May be someday when I learn more skill I will try to do Flame.

Lupercal

Banned
Bought Warhammer Conquest: The Great Devourer expansion and 2 battlepacks with more nids cards.

Guy from the store said it worked without the core box (my friend has it, I only wanted Nids, I'll give the leftovers to him) but now I see I do need planets ?

Sure, I can use them from my friend but if I want to play someone else I can't ?

sasimirobot

Hey guys I'm buying Arcadia Quest this weekend, what are some must haves as far as extras (heros, dice, accessories, etc)?

I am looking into getting the minitures painted also but seems expensive...

Neverfade

Bought Warhammer Conquest: The Great Devourer expansion and 2 battlepacks with more nids cards.

Guy from the store said it worked without the core box (my friend has it, I only wanted Nids, I'll give the leftovers to him) but now I see I do need planets ?

Sure, I can use them from my friend but if I want to play someone else I can't ?

Correct.

Most serious LCG players have multiple core sets though. You should find one of these folks and see if they'all give/trade/sell you a set of planets.

Experien

Myth Journeyman base games and Dumpster Divers shipping to the US within a week of each other, so that is good news for Megacon Games.

What about it gets in the way? I've got more SoB than I know what to do with and love the shit out of the game, haha.

The combat, it seems to get in the way of enjoying the cool scavenge cards and exploring other words and getting rewards. I do need to go back and try it with two guys instead of one since I want to feel comfortable with it being starting a campaign with others. Also, the rooms seem to fill up instantly. Draw a card and the room is full of monsters and just bogs down everything it feels.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Myth Journeyman base games and Dumpster Divers shipping to the US within a week of each other, so that is good news for Megacon Games.

The combat, it seems to get in the way of enjoying the cool scavenge cards and exploring other words and getting rewards. I do need to go back and try it with two guys instead of one since I want to feel comfortable with it being starting a campaign with others. Also, the rooms seem to fill up instantly. Draw a card and the room is full of monsters and just bogs down everything it feels.

The game, as designed, doesn't play well with just one hero. It's better suited for a 2+ hero posse. I like the way combat works with lots of monsters popping up, but that's how the original WHQ was, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

However, your complaint is not one that hasn't been brought up before. There are some variants out there that may address your issue. You might hunt around on BGG to see if any of the currently available variants help. I haven't tried Hexcrawl yet, but that might give you more focus on the exploration and rewards.

E: Also, a high level posse can sweep through most rooms in a turn or two. The game suffers a similar issue that WHQ did in that late game is not nearly as difficult.

The game, as designed, doesn't play well with just one hero. It's better suited for a 2+ hero posse. I like the way combat works with lots of monsters popping up, but that's how the original WHQ was, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

However, your complaint is not one that hasn't been brought up before. There are some variants out there that may address your issue. You might hunt around on BGG to see if any of the currently available variants help. I haven't tried Hexcrawl yet, but that might give you more focus on the exploration and rewards.

E: Also, a high level posse can sweep through most rooms in a turn or two. The game suffers a similar issue that WHQ did in that late game is not nearly as difficult.

The campaign system in Shadows is really robust, but it's also very very poorly playtested.

joelseph

I can't freaking wait for Fuiji Flush, I'm a sucker for trick taking.

Never did get around to buying Diamonsters even though I loved the shit out of the demo. Someone should send me a copy....

After buying Arcadia Quest two months ago I think I've fell down a rabbit hole.

It's an expensive rabbit hole. I think this past month had my games count get to around 350 from 310~, what with kickstarters and preorders of Essen games being sent. Still getting stuff in like Solarius Mission that I won from HeavyCon, and King of New York Power Up expansion (Finally!) and 1846 from GMT games.

I played the second case of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective with some of my coworkers. I gotta say this game is just fantastic. Everyone really gets into the theme and I think more than almost any game I've played feels like it actually brings people closer together. Something about talking with each other, generating the narrative and being really immersed in the theme. This would be a great game to play with a spouse/close friend. It makes me kinda want to save the cases because you can really only play through them once, but there's ten of them and more being released soon. I might have to pick that one up lest it become hard to find.

I played the second case of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective with some of my coworkers. I gotta say this game is just fantastic. Everyone really gets into the theme and I think more than almost any game I've played feels like it actually brings people closer together. Something about talking with each other, generating the narrative and being really immersed in the theme. This would be a great game to play with a spouse/close friend. It makes me kinda want to save the cases because you can really only play through them once, but there's ten of them and more being released soon. I might have to pick that one up lest it become hard to find.

It's definitely an awesome game! I've only done the first 4-5 cases and stopped. Not sure if I want to continue, because there does seem to be a bit of a narrative throughout the cases since it's chronological. But at the same time, it's been over a year. No doubt I'll remember some details if I play the first couple of cases again, but I do think you can play each case more than once given enough time inbetween.

How do you mean? I only do missions at my leisure and haven't gone as far as to string a campaign together.

The individual character classes are not well balanced for xp gains, kills give most xp in the game, so those who excel at ranged kills especially level up far quicker than close range, and far far more than support characters who have a hard time keeping up. The rancher for example at just lvl 3 can one shot kill many of the non large enemies in one turn and with built in ability can kill multiple a turn with a right build, while others struggle to kill one monster a turn for quite a few levels.

Once a character has leveled up some and gets ahead of the other players, they start seeing a wider gap happen amongst the group, as your ass kicker just keeps kicking more ass and leveling faster and faster, leaving other players in the dust. The game's scaling becomes a problem here as player who level quicker cause the rest of the game to scale to higher difficulties, while those left behind xp wise, are just now having a harder time catching up. In a sense, players have to almost restrain themselves, instead of killing monsters, they have to hold back and essentially let the little guys get kills for xp, which is kinda counter productive to the whole point of leveling up and getting better when you constantly have to nerf your characters for the benefit of the weaker ones.

Also if a player dies, the game doesn't really have a come back mechanic, yes you can pay big fine to resurrect a player, but a player typically has to start a new character, who in the middle of a campaign that's been going a while, is severely under powered and screwed. The game doesn't take into consideration the power of the party, as it determines the difficult of the game based on the character with the highest level. In a campaign if a couple players are killed in a scenario, it's almost game over for the group unless the high level player sits out for several games to allow the restarting players to catch up level wise or somehow earn the money to resurrect everyone.

Death in combat can be avoided via strong planning and group play, but during a campaign, there are tons of things that randomly outright kill you with no way to stop it. Go to a doctor to try and remove a mutation, you have a 1 in 6 chance your player dies in the attempt. Your high level character you worked hard on is awesome, but one luck roll and hes gone doing some task in town.

You can go with Mythos Tales when you done and work great for Halloween. I played first two mission of Mythos Tales with my daughter and it was fun.

It's definitely an awesome game! I've only done the first 4-5 cases and stopped. Not sure if I want to continue, because there does seem to be a bit of a narrative throughout the cases since it's chronological. But at the same time, it's been over a year. No doubt I'll remember some details if I play the first couple of cases again, but I do think you can play each case more than once given enough time inbetween.

Any thoughts on Witness? Shut up review just went up on youtube so I was wondering

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any thoughts on Witness? Shut up review just went up on youtube so I was wondering

Witness is a fun game, that kinda fills a bit of a "lighter mood" niche for me. Its not really all that comparable to Sherlock Holmes and more complex riddle games, as its biggest draw comes from whispering hints around the table and memorizing ridiculous information. The biggest problem I have is that its restricted to only 4 players, but its definitely a unique game worth having in a collection for the right occasion.

Lupercal

Banned
Anybody have a better site than Artscow.com for printing custom playing cards?
Trying to print the Space Hulk: Aliens redesign but the shipping alone is almost as much as the cards. Even with the 35% discount.

Ridiculous.

Experien

Witness is a fun game, that kinda fills a bit of a "lighter mood" niche for me. Its not really all that comparable to Sherlock Holmes and more complex riddle games, as its biggest draw comes from whispering hints around the table and memorizing ridiculous information. The biggest problem I have is that its restricted to only 4 players, but its definitely a unique game worth having in a collection for the right occasion.

I have heard of people adding a 5th player as a narrative, not sure how fun that is. I have the game but have yet to get it to the table.

Spookie

Hey guys I'm buying Arcadia Quest this weekend, what are some must haves as far as extras (heros, dice, accessories, etc)?

I am looking into getting the minitures painted also but seems expensive...

Extra dice would help for all the re-rolls that occur but aren't mandatory. Nothing is really must haves, no point buying new heroes until you know you enjoy the game. The first expansion is fantastic and if you enjoy the game get that first.

Mr E.

I'm looking to get into this but Space Cowboys are printing the new edition and following up with an expansion so I'm holding off.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I have the chance to pick up a NIS Silver Tower for $85. Worth it? How much "extra stuff" is there currently available?

And maybe the more important question is what kind of legs the game has. Does it get stale after a few plays?

EYEL1NER

Just got an email from L99 games unveiling a new project they are doing in partnership with Jasco Games (Jasco took the lead on it): Mega Man Pixel Tactics.
The project goes live next week but here is the preview page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/1239227898?token=33375021
That came out of nowhere. Might be a bit of a tough sell for some, since PT games go for what, $10 normally at OLGS prices and $7.99 when on sale? I'm sure there will be a bunch of exclusive promos though.

zeeaykay

After buying Arcadia Quest two months ago I think I've fell down a rabbit hole.
How is it? There's a local who's offering to sell his unused copy for $50 that seems too good to pass up, but I've also been looking at Zimby Mojo which might fit a similar niche. I have Descent 2E and wonder if Arcadia Quest will become redundant.

Just got an email from L99 games unveiling a new project they are doing in partnership with Jasco Games (Jasco took the lead on it): Mega Man Pixel Tactics.
The project goes live next week but here is the preview page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/1239227898?token=33375021

That came out of nowhere. Might be a bit of a tough sell for some, since PT games go for what, $10 normally at OLGS prices and $7.99 when on sale? I'm sure there will be a bunch of exclusive promos though.

17.50 each for Pixel Tactics is a bit much. Especially since this will show up on coolstuff for about 12-ish.

Spookie

How is it? There's a local who's offering to sell his unused copy for $50 that seems too good to pass up, but I've also been looking at Zimby Mojo which might fit a similar niche. I have Descent 2E and wonder if Arcadia Quest will become redundant.

Buy it. Decent is one vs all. Arcadia quest is all vs all with monsters. It's possibly one of the most popular games I own, it's easy to get in to and fun to play.

It has more characters than a normal box though

The Pixel Tactics games have 25 so it's only 3 more? I can buy each Pixel Tactics game 1-5 for 9.99 right now on coolstuff. That's basically 40 cents a character. At the cheapest through the kickstarter one set (if you buy both of them together) is 17.50. With 28 characters that's like 62 cents per character.

If you just buy one set it's 71 cents per character. It's a bit much for a license and frankly level 99 games never has a hard time meeting their goals and you can buy their games at retail pretty easily and they also sell their promo cards online.

Just spent the last couple of hours organizing my board games. Made a foamcore insert for Libertalia after sleeving it last night. Sleeved Forbidden Stars. Reorganized my shelf space. I'm taking a break before I take on sleeving Kingdom Death: Monster + expansions and going to end the night with making some more minis for it and finding a place to put them all...

Speaking of, I haven't done a shelfie in over two years. Might take one once I get everything cleaned up.

I just took a look at that Gloomhaven unboxing video, and...holy crap, that box is big. Not quite "Kingdom Death" levels, but still...

That's probably my most-anticipated game of the things I'm still waiting on (and have actually paid for) from Kickstarter.

I just took a look at that Gloomhaven unboxing video, and...holy crap, that box is big. Not quite "Kingdom Death" levels, but still...

That's probably my most-anticipated game of the things I'm still waiting on (and have actually paid for) from Kickstarter.

Too bad it's another KS delayed game. Personally I am getting really tired of the late delivery by some KS. If it's your first rodeo I can give a free pass but repeated offender like CMON really put a damper in the whole prepaid pre-order business.

Apologists always said oh I rather have good products and don't mind the delay, Conan was over a year late and the miniatures are just average, rule books are horrible. FAQ and rule rewrite after over a year delay is just mind boggling not to mention all the KS exclusive pieces have no rules or scenarios for. What have they been doing all this time?

Too bad it's another KS delayed game. Personally I am getting really tired of the late delivery by some KS. If it's your first rodeo I can give a free pass but repeated offender like CMON really put a damper in the whole prepaid pre-order business.

Apologists always said oh I rather have good products and don't mind the delay, Conan was over a year late and the miniatures are just average, rule books are horrible. FAQ and rule rewrite after over a year delay is just mind boggling not to mention all the KS exclusive pieces have no rules or scenarios for. What have they been doing all this time?

Eh...honestly, I tend to factor in delays when pledging to a Kickstarter. I think it's entirely likely that there are often delays with non-KS projects; we simply don't see them because they don't commit to a release date until things are already well underway.

The other stuff you bring up is a different story - that stuff would be a problem with or without the delays.

EYEL1NER

After looking at counter trays online and getting frustrated with the shipping costs of various trays (DVG, GMT, Chessex), I stopped in a store today while in the city and found DVG Deep Dish counter trays for $3 each. DVG wants $27 shipped for 5 trays from their webstore (I was actually going to buy from them until I saw that shipping was $7). I picked four of them up, two for Thunderbolt Apache Leader and two for Phantom Leader Deluxe. I'll need two or three more though for whenever I get around to picking up Hornet Leader and the Cthulhu expansion.
Now that I have counter trays, I need to buckle down on this Thunderbolt Apache Leader rulebook so I can start playing it. Hopefully I can comprehend it fairly quick; the video I watched a few days ago did wonders with helping me understand some of the game's concepts that I read about when I tried to learn it two years ago.

My copy of TMNT: Shadows of the Past has shipped and is on its way. It is set to arrive Thursday and probably will take that long, since it is still in California right now. Can't wait though.

Also, for the guy wanting Ikusa: the store I went to to get those counter trays? They had a copy of Ikusa on the shelves for $80. What is your price range for a copy? If you really really wanted the game (you seemed bummed that it was going for outrageous prices now that it is OOP), I could maybe buy it and ship it to you, if that wouldn't put it outside your price range after shipping.

Top Bottom