• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Spookie

Hrrrm. I think it is a blast. Played the first scenario 4 times and three of the four times played out different. The last time I played it was quite dramatic
with the mansion tearing itself apart and a shoggoth heading toward us as we tried to disrupt the ritual

Sucks you had a bad experience with it. I've introduced it to three groups and all have had fun. How many investigators did you have?

Two and four between two people. Either way it's on Ebay hopefully someone else gets more enjoyment out of it. I've picked up Clank!, Blood Rage & Scythe instead this week.

The new Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter is a complete joke. I'm not going to be backing it.

I'm not really keen on the "here's an exclusive character class you only get if you drop $300 on the game" thing.

That's a significant chunk of change, and putting exclusive game content behind that wall (even if it's relatively inconsequential) seems kind of inappropriate.

Why would anyone support another Shadows kickstarter? Us backers of the first still have not gotten our stuff after more than 2 years and people are tossing money at them again when they treated us like crap last time?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, the SoB KS is just bizarre. The value isn't there. You're just pre-ordering over a year in advance at MSRP. While you CAN pay to get the KS exclusive classes, why would you? It's like how you can buy Otherworld: Trederra on their webstore for $80 to get 2 exclusive promo cards...Or pay $50 at retail and either be out those 2 promo cards or print them yourself.

There are a ton of people going bananas over this KS campaign, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

EYEL1NER

I saw the comments on the Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter in here earlier so I went and checked it out. I had an initial interest when I read that it was set in feudal Japan but then the images of the characters and minis loaded and I lost that interest. I can't say I care for any of the main character designs and those were one of the first things I saw. Combine that with the high price of the "good" tier and the negativity surrounding the original Shadows of Brimstone KS campaign, and I can easily decide to pass this up and keep my $300 to myself.

I like several games with miniatures and I like several miniatures games but I am really glad that I am not a miniatures fan; you know, the type who'll pledge half a grand for a game and all add-ons and even say in the comments that they don't care about the game, they just want cool miniatures to paint and to use in other games. I would be one broke dude of that were the case. Because like toddhunter said, there are Kickstarters that look just like this every other week.

And if you are a person who looks at these games for miniatures, Shadows figs are pretty crappy quality, have to be put together figs, you expect some better quality details, but they are a mess of seams that don't seal well, you have to do ton of work on many of them to make them presentable if you plan on painting. The sculpts in general are pretty mediocre too. CMON's single no assembly figs are gorgeous in comparison to these, and some of the figs are a pain to put together for Shadows.

fenners

Why would anyone support another Shadows kickstarter? Us backers of the first still have not gotten our stuff after more than 2 years and people are tossing money at them again when they treated us like crap last time?

Insane, isn't it? Folks throwing money at them of course, cause that's how it works.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I saw the comments on the Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter in here earlier so I went and checked it out. I had an initial interest when I read that it was set in feudal Japan but then the images of the characters and minis loaded and I lost that interest. I can't say I care for any of the main character designs and those were one of the first things I saw. Combine that with the high price of the "good" tier and the negativity surrounding the original Shadows of Brimstone KS campaign, and I can easily decide to pass this up and keep my $300 to myself.

I like several games with miniatures and I like several miniatures games but I am really glad that I am not a miniatures fan; you know, the type who'll pledge half a grand for a game and all add-ons and even say in the comments that they don't care about the game, they just want cool miniatures to paint and to use in other games. I would be one broke dude of that were the case. Because like toddhunter said, there are Kickstarters that look just like this every other week.

The game itself is really good - it's the only game I've ever found that does a good job of recreating that classic Warhammer Quest feel (the original, not the card game or the new Silver Tower). The miniatures are fine once they're assembled, but that's an adventure on it's own. Some sculpts are blah, but some are pretty cool. It's a mixed bag.

My biggest beef with this KS campaign is that I have no reason to back it. You have to pledge $300 to get the new core set + big box expansion alone. That's $120 retail. So for $180, you're getting 2 new KS exclusive heroes, alternate sculpts for heroes (which add no actual gameplay element), some expansion monsters (which we already know will be ~30-40% cheaper than their estimated retail), and a card pack or two (which you can get B2G1 during their holiday sales). Once you factor in shipping cost, I honestly don't know how the KS is actually worth paying up front for. It's pre-ordering a product from a company with an actual garbage track record. It's absolutely silly.

What's really fascinating about this SoB KS campaign is how many people are trying to defend FFP on the shitty first KS campaign. And when you consider how much money this new one has raised, it's clear that some people just don't get it.

Whatever - I'll skip this and buy it at retail (maybe even before KS backers get their product again!). Instead, I'll be shoveling my money into KD:M later this month.

Experien

The game itself is really good - it's the only game I've ever found that does a good job of recreating that classic Warhammer Quest feel (the original, not the card game or the new Silver Tower). The miniatures are fine once they're assembled, but that's an adventure on it's own. Some sculpts are blah, but some are pretty cool. It's a mixed bag.

My biggest beef with this KS campaign is that I have no reason to back it. You have to pledge $300 to get the new core set + big box expansion alone. That's $120 retail. So for $180, you're getting 2 new KS exclusive heroes, alternate sculpts for heroes (which add no actual gameplay element), some expansion monsters (which we already know will be ~30-40% cheaper than their estimated retail), and a card pack or two (which you can get B2G1 during their holiday sales). Once you factor in shipping cost, I honestly don't know how the KS is actually worth paying up front for. It's pre-ordering a product from a company with an actual garbage track record. It's absolutely silly.

What's really fascinating about this SoB KS campaign is how many people are trying to defend FFP on the shitty first KS campaign. And when you consider how much money this new one has raised, it's clear that some people just don't get it.

Whatever - I'll skip this and buy it at retail (maybe even before KS backers get their product again!). Instead, I'll be shoveling my money into KD:M later this month.

I believe I am going this route too after the first KS launch.

Some of the FFP defenders have a good point (don't worry, I still feel burned). Just like video game companies, someone is always working on "what's next" and it is just sad their team wasn't able to speed things along with the rest of the group.

Having stuff in works is fine, but you still have a commitment to people who already paid for a product. And FFG many times went and did other things instead of working on what they owed, putting out a bunch of product that was not part of the kickstarter campaign, what reasoning is there for that these past 2 years? It was all going to retail, it was all slated as products in the works that would get sold, but their priorities are not there. They are working on all this KS stuff when they didn't finish the previous products? That's real shitty of them.

Also can't defend the complete and utter lack of support for the game. The company has had almost zero communication about their game in the past two years, folks asking for rule answers, faqs, erratas, etc, and the company has done jack shit. Instead of talking to their customer base, they go and put answers in their expansion products, so to get answers they expect you to buy more product.

There are so many great games being released these days. I'm so glad I'm completely free of the Kickstarter racket now. It's like the worst parts of video game pre-order hype taken to physical products.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There are so many great games being released these days. I'm so glad I'm completely free of the Kickstarter racket now. It's like the worst parts of video game pre-order hype taken to physical products.

The main differenxe being that board games will actually sell out.

The main differenxe being that board games will actually sell out.

I've played very few games that I thought were absolutely amazing that haven't been reprinted in some fashion. If I was really into niche games (akin to Vita anime games), I would care more. Kickstarter games are all bloat and unfulfilled promises.

I've played very few games that I thought were absolutely amazing that haven't been reprinted in some fashion. If I was really into niche games (akin to Vita anime games), I would care more. Kickstarter games are all bloat and unfulfilled promises.

I dunno - I still really wish I'd backed the Kingdom Death Kickstarter back when I had the chance.

Experien

Blood Rage
Above and Below
Islebound
Good Cop Bad Cop
Lanterns
Compounded
Zombicide
Scythe

?

Blood Rage
Above and Below
Islebound
Good Cop Bad Cop
Lanterns
Compounded
Zombicide
Scythe

?

Those are all pretty much obtainable online, in stores, and often for discount, cheaper buying it than backing the kickstarter. And will likely get retail rereleases for years to come

Experien

Those are all pretty much obtainable online, in stores, and often for discount, cheaper buying it than backing the kickstarter. And will likely get retail rereleases for years to come

I was listing games that came from Kickstarter that aren't all bloat and aren't all unfulfilled promises. I could list games I backed that aren't available elsewhere but will they get to play them?

I was listing games that came from Kickstarter that aren't all bloat and aren't all unfulfilled promises. I could list games I backed that aren't available elsewhere but will they get to play them?

It goes both way with experiences of individuals, but think everyone is getting off topic.

Screw Shadows of Brimstone.

d1rtn4p

Arcadia Quest is my GOAT though. :(

Fuck sake, bought Fury of Dracula now. I NEED HELP. I CAN'T STOP BUYING FUCKING GAMES.
Should I buy roll the galaxy?

I've been doing Kickstarter for a few years now and I fully agree. Most of my pledges are still unfulfilled and the ones that were, felt like half-baked games. I've backed a number of high-dollar mini-filled pledges and have yet to see anything show up at the door. I hear CMON does a pretty good job, but I've never backed any of their games.

Lupercal

Banned
Arcadia Quest is my GOAT though. :(

Fuck sake, bought Fury of Dracula now. I NEED HELP. I CAN'T STOP BUYING FUCKING GAMES.
Should I buy roll the galaxy?

Keep going bro!

Nah, for real though, it's easy to get lost into buying games because a lot of games are awesome.

Then you end up like me, 100 + games in the attic and can't get anything to the table :(

As to the actual game Shadows of Brimstone - love the setting, love some of the ideas. I just wish the actual combat had a little more to it.

This is a problem I run into with a lot of these dungeon crawl games, admittedly. Combat mostly consists of "monsters spawn, they rush the heroes, and everyone stands there rolling dice for a while". If it's a 1 v many game, you can add "and the monsters mostly focus on one player to take them out ASAP". There's not much in the way of positioning, cover, etc.

(And yeah, I know that SoB has been slowly adding stuff like status effects, cover, and enemies that don't just immediately run at you. It's a start!)

Ohnonono

Did FFG ever give any time frame for the Imp. Assault app? I need an excuse to buy more stuff, and will totally pick that game up once the app drops.

XShagrath

I just ordered the two Mansions of Madness figure&tile collections today. I'm almost done painting the base set, and just have the investigators and the "riots" to go. Banged out nine minis this weekend!

I'm going to get custom clear acrylic bases, since the ones the game ships with is horrendous. I wanted to have all the minis to get an accurate count of how many I needed and what sizes. I should be able to get them done at work, which should make things a little bit more custom.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just ordered the two Mansions of Madness figure&tile collections today. I'm almost done painting the base set, and just have the investigators and the "riots" to go. Banged out nine minis this weekend!

I'm going to get custom clear acrylic bases, since the ones the game ships with is horrendous. I wanted to have all the minis to get an accurate count of how many I needed and what sizes. I should be able to get them done at work, which should make things a little bit more custom.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1651790/my-mansions-madness-re-basing-project

This guy did some cool stuff with the basis.

I only have 7 investigators painted. Two of them I would like to redo, I didn't make the paint for the skin thin enough so it got a little lumpy.

As to the actual game Shadows of Brimstone - love the setting, love some of the ideas. I just wish the actual combat had a little more to it.

This is a problem I run into with a lot of these dungeon crawl games, admittedly. Combat mostly consists of "monsters spawn, they rush the heroes, and everyone stands there rolling dice for a while". If it's a 1 v many game, you can add "and the monsters mostly focus on one player to take them out ASAP". There's not much in the way of positioning, cover, etc.

(And yeah, I know that SoB has been slowly adding stuff like status effects, cover, and enemies that don't just immediately run at you. It's a start!)

Well, this is a problem in large part with AI controlled dungeon crawls especially, but if you want dungeon crawl with meat, you kinda need to look into pen and paper RPG's. Lot more options, story telling, and you are interacting with an actual thinking person, not a stack of cards.

XShagrath

I was going to do some textured on the provided bases, however after looking at some of the people on BGG who did clear acrylic, I think that's the way to go. The floor tiles are just too beautiful to cover up. The stats really aren't needed either, with all of the monsters (of the same type) being the same now.

These are the first minis I've painted in like 20 years. I'm happy with what I've done so far. I might post a pic or two once I finish up the base set. Don't want to post in the miniature gaming thread, so as not to get laughed out of there.

Well, this is a problem in large part with AI controlled dungeon crawls especially, but if you want dungeon crawl with meat, you kinda need to look into pen and paper RPG's. Lot more options, story telling, and you are interacting with an actual thinking person, not a stack of cards.

Sure, but even Kingdom Death (which I acknowledge is a different sort of thing) has a little more tactical depth to the combat. A lot of it still comes down to luck, but at least there are considerations regarding positioning, tactics, etc.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sure, but even Kingdom Death (which I acknowledge is a different sort of thing) has a little more tactical depth to the combat. A lot of it still comes down to luck, but at least there are considerations regarding positioning, tactics, etc.

Well every fight is an intricate boss encounter in KDM. Poots said in development there were crawls at one point but the boss fights were everyones favorite parr by a lot. So they just cut the dungeon stuff and expanded the boss fights. They definitely made the right call because the fights in KDM are excellent.

Well every fight is an intricate boss encounter in KDM. Poots said in development there were crawls at one point but the boss fights were everyones favorite parr by a lot. So they just cut the dungeon stuff and expanded the boss fights. They definitely made the right call because the fights in KDM are excellent.

Right, and it would be hard to replicate something like that in a dungeon crawl with lots of monsters, but you could still have some form of AI programming (via a deck of cards or whatever) that provided a little more variation than "run at enemy and attack until dead".

The trick is doing that without bogging things down and making each combat last forever.

EYEL1NER

I was hoping to play Flick Em Up for the first time tonight. I took that, Zombie Tower 3D, and Exploding Kittens into the local store. No one showed up.
: (
I got some counter trays for Thunderbolt Apache Leader and a couple really cheap plastic cups for pop-up counters and damage, so I'm definitely taking it in next Tuesday. I'm hoping that people have time off with it being Election Day and can get shit taken care of early in the day so as to find time for games in the evening, but I'll sit there for two hours and play TAL by myself if no one shows.

KD just takes rpg like combat, and packaged in an expensive miniature heavy package. It's not even a very good combat game either, but some folks are wowed by it cause it's such an "deep" combat system compared to usual board game fare.

There is only so much ai that can be built into a board game without it getting too complex, or slowed down. Hence RPG's typically having instant reactions performed by a GM, as to keep things moving along. Making combat more complex slows game down, adding more AI, slows things down, eventually you just have one overly complicated slow game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kind of a bummer (to me) that the new Blood Bowl doesn't update the rules at all. I know nostalgia probably prevails over all, including in the market, but I'm sorry rules from hobby games from ~20y ago just don't hold up anymore, or at minimum could be significantly improved given modern gameplay evolutions. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but man a game with a modern design in the Blood Bowl universe I'd just be all over. Too bad too b/c in the Vasel auction they have a painted new Blood Bowl up and again I'd pay a pretty penny (as required for most worthwhile things in that auction) if the gameplay was up to par. :/

Kind of a bummer (to me) that the new Blood Bowl doesn't update the rules at all. I know nostalgia probably prevails over all, including in the market, but I'm sorry rules from hobby games from ~20y ago just don't hold up anymore, or at minimum could be significantly improved given modern gameplay evolutions. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but man a game with a modern design in the Blood Bowl universe I'd just be all over. Too bad too b/c in the Vasel auction they have a painted new Blood Bowl up and again I'd pay a pretty penny (as required for most worthwhile things in that auction) if the gameplay was up to par. :/

Dunno, most fans were of the mind set that the rules, were perfect as is. The game was under a "living" rulebook that was regularly updated and tweaked over several years, but the core of it stayed mostly the same. Still think it's one of GW's best games, the only issue I ever had with it was some balance issue between teams, but that has more to do with the individual teams stats and special rules, not the actual game system.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah OK fair enough. Probably just not for me then. The playtime of 180m listed on BGG kind of disqualifies it alone. :/ Always loved that setting though so I guess I'll just stick to BBTM. :D

I don't think the game ever really took me that long to play, used to play in a league years ago, but we all knew the rules very well back then and played weekly, so we moved at a good pace. But it is kinda of game more geared towards the war gaming like crowd, while still being simple enough overall to be a board game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks BM -- you're always helpful in steering me away from fundamentally war or minis games I probably shouldn't be playing. :p

Iced

This popped up at my local game store today: The Crow: Fire It Up!

ykHwWpE.jpg

5Wm1m7w.jpg

eHqJHFG.jpg

I just...I just know the game is likely awful, but god help me, I'll probably buy it. It's a shame info on the game is so scarce, though. I can't even find out the player count. The official site hints at it being 2-player, but doesn't specifically say.

EYEL1NER

This popped up at my local game store today: The Crow: Fire It Up!

ykHwWpE.jpg

5Wm1m7w.jpg

eHqJHFG.jpg

I just...I just know the game is likely awful, but god help me, I'll probably buy it. It's a shame info on the game is so scarce, though. I can't even find out the player count. The official site hints at it being 2-player, but doesn't specifically say.
I hate myself over it but I feel the same. Especially with my problems re: getting any of my games played. But I am a sucker for anything "The Crow." I'll hold off for at least a little while though. It will either wind up being great (though I can't imagine that will be the case) and I'll happily pick it up soon or it will be disappointing and I will happily pick it up later at a steep discount. I would definitely be willing to sit at a table, pump my fists into the air while yelling "FIRE IT UP!" and give it a try.
It seems like there have been baby steps with Dragon Tides and them finishing fulfilling the first wave to the UK and maybe getting wave 2 produced, so maybe I'll be able to get my "Brandon Lee as the Crow (named Blackbird)" mini.

I've only really had positive experiences with it, although fog of love might end up stretching the friendship. I do avoid mini based games though, which seem to be the problem right now?

Along those lines I backed 5 minute dungeon today which looks really fun and kid friendly.

Top Bottom