• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

So I have the chance to pick up a NIS Silver Tower for $85. Worth it? How much "extra stuff" is there currently available?

And maybe the more important question is what kind of legs the game has. Does it get stale after a few plays?

That's a good price for GW games. I personally really enjoyed the game. It is lighter than most dungeon romp board games but I think that's the plus. It's quick to set up and teach and I really enjoy the dice selection mechanic.

As for if it's a good game for you, I really can't say. It's entirely depend on what you are looking for. The expansions stuffs so far are just more heroes and the scenarios are limited to just what come with the box.

MnuA11L.jpg

You won't be disappointed with the minis that for sure. The board can take some getting used to but it fit the theme and design.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Too bad it's another KS delayed game. Personally I am getting really tired of the late delivery by some KS. If it's your first rodeo I can give a free pass but repeated offender like CMON really put a damper in the whole prepaid pre-order business.

Apologists always said oh I rather have good products and don't mind the delay, Conan was over a year late and the miniatures are just average, rule books are horrible. FAQ and rule rewrite after over a year delay is just mind boggling not to mention all the KS exclusive pieces have no rules or scenarios for. What have they been doing all this time?

I would like to chime in and say that we got 3 new games in this week and ended up playing Conan over and over today for our meetup. No one wanted to play anything else all day.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I originally planned this to be a short post, but it went long since I tried to be thorough. :p

My girlfriend's birthday arrived so I finally got to unbox Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle. We played games 1, 2, and 3 today. I believe someone asked for comments, so I'll give impressions now and more impressions after we've played later years. Year 4 in particular has a big box to open.

Overall:
I'd say it's a no-brainer for someone who is a big Harry Potter fan and likes medium-weight card games. The presentation is quite well done, the quality is good with satisfying metal enemy control tokens and nice art design, and the gameplay is decent without being super punishing (at first).

Game concept and complexity:
The game is sort of like Dominion and the Warhammer Adventure Card Game combined and simplified. A 10-year-old could probably play it reasonably well, especially if an adult runs the game and coordinates the card effects, but by year 3 it gets reasonably involved. The rules are maybe 10-15 pages with lots of nice visual design and pictures, and you can basically figure things out from reading cards. There is no extensive reference.

We played years 1-3 even though we have played deckbuilders before to get the full story experience. More allies/items/spells get added through the years, as in the books/movies. We also used 2 characters each, which worked well because I'm not sure how much replay value there will be, and this way we can see all the different cards.

Mechanics:
The game starts out very similar to Dominion with a 10-card deck and basic cards to buy. Turn order is more flexible than Dominion. You basically play whatever you want in whatever order you want, and buy as much stuff as you want. There are coins representing "influence" you can gain, but it's basically Dominion purchase money you can sometimes track in your head. One important difference is that you can gain coins from effects that other players trigger, so you might have accumulated coins from other players' turns.

The goal of the game is to defeat a big stack of villains from the books/movies. At first only one villain shows up at a time, then two, and I assume eventually 3. Each enemy has persistent effects which trigger on various things and can combo with a "Dark Arts" deck. The "Dark Arts" deck is a bunch of bad effects which trigger once per turn, then eventually more times per turn as the villains gain control of more locations. Once they gain control of all locations, you lose. If you stack lightning bolt damage tokens on them, you kill them one by one and win. Each villain gives you a nice reward when wiped out, and you can use certain effects to reverse the location progress.

The game is NOT super strategic like Dominion. Buying itself is limited to 6 random cards that show up on the table. If you don't want them, or they're all too expensive, you could theoretically be kind of stuck. If you shuffle well at least 2-3 of them should be affordable. After you buy, you cannot trash cards, only discard or use cards that slowly cycle your deck, and new cards are drawn for purchase. As a result of all this, the game is a bit random and swingy, but it works ok for a dungeon-crawl-ish experience.

However, there is still strategy. You can make decisions about which cards to add to your deck and which cards to save for other players. You can focus coin donation, lightning bolt donation, and targeted healing. Some cards give you a choice about dealing a damage or healing yourself, so you can play risky if you want. Depending on the villain combo, it may be smart to leave one relatively harmless villain out and burn down the others first. You can also get some effects that let you buy certain cards direct to the top of your deck.

I don't know how the game will go after year 3, but at that point each of the 4 characters (Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville) get a unique ability which differentiates them, plus they already have a deck with some unique cards.

Theme:
This is really strong. The pictures on the cards from each year are from the movies / movie actors. As each new year comes, you get new stuff: Villains, items, updated art for characters, a new ability, etc. The mechanics fit reasonably well with the characters. Neville becomes a good healer, and Hermione becomes good at using and buying lots of spells. There are lots of allies from the movies so you can buy Dumbledore to help your cause etc.

Replay value:
I'm not sure this would get a lot of replay unless you play with someone who hasn't seen the game yet, but maybe by years 5-7 the game will get more complex. A lot of the enjoyment comes from seeing all the cards based on book and movie elements.

Fun:
For a Harry Potter fan, It is fun to play the characters and use the various spells and items. In particular, it feels really satisfying when luck finally turns your way and you can pull of an overpowered combination or destroy an enemy with 4+ lightning bolts. One turn I used polyjuice potion to duplicate Molly Weasley, giving all 4 players 4 life and 2 coins.

I really liked how non-punishing the early years are. We played "moderate" difficulty with an extra skull to start the game and won all 3 years with some reasonably tense moments (like a villain who self-heals when the villains gain control, an annoying combination). This is in stark contrast to Warhammer Quest where I've never beaten the first quest out of 3+ attempts, and we burned out of even trying. Unlike some dungeon-crawling games, instead of dying you get "stunned" for losing your health. Each stunned player loses half their hand rounded down, a skull gets added to the location, and they regain their health at the end of their turn. You still play your turn with the reduced hand size. It's a punishment, but not near as annoying as missing your turn or waiting for a revive attempt.

In addition, many enemy effects that would cause you to lose health can be mitigated by discarding certain types of cards. Harry Potter has a defensive invisibility cloak that can trigger from his hand. Some cards even benefit you when you discard them (because you were stunned, or because of an enemy, etc.), changing their effects when used in this manner.

played fury of dracula.

aside from night time being really boring as there wasn't often much to do.

it seemed decent.
I'm playing for the first time soon. Did you play without the Dracula power cards and lairs and so on? They recommend that for a first game, but I'd be interested to know if this adds a lot of extra downtime if we're all new to it.

I would like to chime in and say that we got 3 new games in this week and ended up playing Conan over and over today for our meetup. No one wanted to play anything else all day.
Not saying the game is bad but for a game that is delayed for over a year you would think they could work on the rule books and get provide rules for the KS stuffs.

Not saying the game is bad but for a game that is delayed for over a year you would think they could work on the rule books and get provide rules for the KS stuffs.

But it keeps happening. Kickstarters with shitty rules that somehow take forever to arrive. You would figure all that time could be used for play testing, since most people aren't involved in component design that take up majority of production.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The rulebook isn't actually the biggest problem. The problem is that lots of the item cards and skills are mistranslated, so there were a lot of little things that were unclear. We had to kind of make a ruling ourselves way too many times.

Just so you know, Target doesnt just have a buy 2 get 1 free sale on videogames; they also have one for boardgames as well. It seems like the boardgames and videogames are separate sales, ie no buy 2 videogames and get a boardgame for free.

So, I finally finished cleaning up my space and I took a picture of my shelves. I have my games spread around multiple places so I ended up taking a picture of each of those (except my basement, as about 33% of my games are just stacked in piles on tables down there). I'd like to see some of your shelfies too; I think it can say a lot about what kind of gamer that person is.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wwbkM

Zubz

Banned
Just got an email from L99 games unveiling a new project they are doing in partnership with Jasco Games (Jasco took the lead on it): Mega Man Pixel Tactics.
The project goes live next week but here is the preview page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/1239227898?token=33375021

That came out of nowhere. Might be a bit of a tough sell for some, since PT games go for what, $10 normally at OLGS prices and $7.99 when on sale? I'm sure there will be a bunch of exclusive promos though.

Wasn't Jasco supposed to be working on expansions for the MM Board Game we got? Plus a Street Fighter one? That said, I don't know if the Base Set for MM went over well; every time I get a group together to play board games, they immediately refuse due to how complicated it looks to them (Also the fact that the one guy refuses to play a board game based on a license because he assumes it's a half-thought-out cash-in. This doesn't apply to reskins like, say, every branded Monopoly, but will still apply to things like Lord of the Rings/MGS variants for Risk).

I mean, it took forever for the game to come out, but it's been a long while since I finally got it and I still haven't been able to play it/form an opinion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just so you know, Target doesnt just have a buy 2 get 1 free sale on videogames; they also have one for boardgames as well. It seems like the boardgames and videogames are separate sales, ie no buy 2 videogames and get a boardgame for free.

The only thing that tripped me up on the sale was that a lot of their games were full price so it was tough to justify and kind of came out the same as CSI regular prices. But I sorted by price as proxy for good games so maybe if you dig around more you can get some nice finds. Definitely for the Target exclusive games could be a good idea.

EYEL1NER

Wasn't Jasco supposed to be working on expansions for the MM Board Game we got? Plus a Street Fighter one? That said, I don't know if the Base Set for MM went over well; every time I get a group together to play board games, they immediately refuse due to how complicated it looks to them (Also the fact that the one guy refuses to play a board game based on a license because he assumes it's a half-thought-out cash-in. This doesn't apply to reskins like, say, every branded Monopoly, but will still apply to things like Lord of the Rings/MGS variants for Risk).

I mean, it took forever for the game to come out, but it's been a long while since I finally got it and I still haven't been able to play it/form an opinion.
I'm not sure. I never followed anything regarding the Mega Man board game. I did see a group of three or four people playing it at a store once, and it looked like they were having fun, but I saw one of the guys a few days ago and mentioned that the TMNT game was shipping soon and he said "Eh, I don't know about licensed games, look at how awful the Mega Man game turned out." So maybe he didn't like it.
A Street Fighter game would be something I would be interested in, even if Mega Man isn't the best.
All of that said, im looking at pledging for this Kickstarter because it is Pixel Tactics, not because of Mega Man. I'll play a MM game if one is in front of me but it isn't a series that I have a deep affinity for.

The rulebook isn't actually the biggest problem. The problem is that lots of the item cards and skills are mistranslated, so there were a lot of little things that were unclear. We had to kind of make a ruling ourselves way too many times.
Which they could remedy with FAQ and Errata in the box, not the most ideal but if cards were already printed but then again this is typical of too many Kickstarter. They essentially already got the money so unless they are ethical and care about future customers there is no incentive at all for them to fix it. What I find most disturbing is the fact that all the KS extra were basically just thrown in without rules and scenarios for them. What were they doing for a year when they were supposedly waiting for miniatures to get produce.

The translation of Conan also make me worry about another KS game, 7th Continent. Last update show they are really behind the schedule and translation were not even done.

As for reason that if we back KS then we should just expect delay, I think that is load of crap. What they should do is set reasonable expectations and time frame instead just set arbitrary date so they can get more funding by having unrealistic fulfillment date.

As for reason that if we back KS then we should just expect delay, I think that is load of crap. What they should do is set reasonable expectations and time frame instead just set arbitrary date so they can get more funding by having unrealistic fulfillment date.

*shrug* Like I said, I tend to factor it in. I would suggest that if strict adherence to the estimated delivery date is a primary concern, Kickstarter may not be the best choice for people.

I mean, we can go back and forth about whether that SHOULD be the case, but experience has shown that it is - and the more complex or ambitious the project is, the more likely it is there'll be a delay.

EDIT: That said, I am a little concerned about The 7th Continent, simply because translation problems could REALLY mess with that game.

zulux21

I'm playing for the first time soon. Did you play without the Dracula power cards and lairs and so on? They recommend that for a first game, but I'd be interested to know if this adds a lot of extra downtime if we're all new to it.

yeah we played without the lairs and what not.

I think assuming we were playing correctly. the best thing to do for the first play is just make sure you know what you are doing at night and do it quickly... that is what bogged us down the most. in general we didn't have much to do at night, and in general the other players kept trying to come up with something to do even though the actions didn't change and the end result was a lot of wasted time with people still effectively passing.

though... I do recommend if you are in the same city to initiate a trade at night as that lets you see each others cards without having to tell dracula :p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Which they could remedy with FAQ and Errata in the box, not the most ideal but if cards were already printed but then again this is typical of too many Kickstarter. They essentially already got the money so unless they are ethical and care about future customers there is no incentive at all for them to fix it. What I find most disturbing is the fact that all the KS extra were basically just thrown in without rules and scenarios for them. What were they doing for a year when they were supposedly waiting for miniatures to get produce.

The translation of Conan also make me worry about another KS game, 7th Continent. Last update show they are really behind the schedule and translation were not even done.

Well they are going to send all the backers the 2.0 rulebook. It really only needs some minor tweaking to the book and re-translation of the skills and cards. All in all I am very pleased with the game, but I was not an original backer and only had to wait a couple months for the package to come in. First impressions and everything but this might end up being my favorite 1vAll game, easy.

Blizzard

Banned
With no comments about my Harry Potter review, I'd better go back to the tried and true Feast of Odin. :p

We played 2-player for the third time. This time I think we got all the rules correct, and I didn't accidentally cheat by putting two green tiles together, but I lost to my girlfriend for the third time in a row. This time we continued to increase our scores, but I was one point short, 64-65.

I screwed myself once by miscalculating 1 silver and starving a viking, so I lost 3 points there. I also screwed myself at least twice by failing dice actions. On one, I rolled 7 on a D8...3 times in a row. That's 1/512 odds. In general, the odds of me doing better than those rolls were 98.4%, kind of crazy.

Just like I always do in Lords of Waterdeep, I think I forgot to get 1 silver I earned once, which would have given me another 3 points. I could have also probably done better if I hadn't rushed certain early bonuses on the main board. Still, I'm kind of frustrated with myself that I didn't do better, because it FELT so much better than I've done before. I filled every space on an island, nearly filled two houses, and nearly filled my main board. I also had some great occupation combos and got an entire main board bonus round with all 5 bonuses from my starting occupation. Despite all this, I didn't emigrate at all, so she had a large point bonus there, and her occupation cards in general gave her more points.

I'm hoping I eventually learn to get 80+ points instead of mid-60's.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
With no comments about my Harry Potter review, I'd better go back to the tried and true Feast of Odin. :p
I read and enjoyed it! I'm actually not into HP so will pass on the game but it seems like a cool intro to deck building. Actually probably be a good kids or casuals intro.

*shrug* Like I said, I tend to factor it in. I would suggest that if strict adherence to the estimated delivery date is a primary concern, Kickstarter may not be the best choice for people.

I mean, we can go back and forth about whether that SHOULD be the case, but experience has shown that it is - and the more complex or ambitious the project is, the more likely it is there'll be a delay.

EDIT: That said, I am a little concerned about The 7th Continent, simply because translation problems could REALLY mess with that game.

I used to think this way but actually most of my KS experiences outside of CMON and few other like Monolith, they are mostly on time or close to being on time delivery. Anyway, you are right we will just go round and round, with most board games being OK with it and accept this as the new norm for preorder then there would be no reason for this practice to change. At the expo CMON express that they know that this is chronic problem and they are working to change so we will see. Their excuse is always that miniatures take a long time but Xenoshyft Dreadmire is 2 months late and that is a 2.0 game with only cards and artworks that were mostly done. (they said in their podcast)

I late back 7th Continent and I totally agree with you that translation is really important for this particular game. I hope they make good use of the 3 months delay. My feeling is we probably looking at May or June delivery.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I used to think this way but actually most of my KS experiences outside of CMON and few other like Monolith, they are mostly on time or close to being on time delivery. Anyway, you are right we will just go round and round, with most board games being OK with it and accept this as the new norm for preorder then there would be no reason for this practice to change. At the expo CMON express that they know that this is chronic problem and they are working to change so we will see. Their excuse is always that miniatures take a long time but Xenoshyft Dreadmire is 2 months late and that is a 2.0 game with only cards and artworks that were mostly done. (they said in their podcast)

I late back 7th Continent and I totally agree with you that translation is really important for this particular game. I hope they make good use of the 3 months delay. My feeling is we probably looking at May or June delivery.
As a Tokkaido backer I have a lot of sympathy for people dealing with insanely late Kickstarters. Between the delays and generally mediocre quality (compared to mainline AAA games from the big companies) I've mostly written off KS. But I get that for some people it's like this compulsive thing. Even the decent stuff on there feels like off-brand knockoffs with slightly off art, rules, polish...everything. There are occasional true gems but those hit the mass market really fast anyway. I guess stuff like Kingdom Death is unique in that it's worth a lot now but I'm not into minis at all so I almost consider that a different category.

As a Tokkaido backer I have a lot of sympathy for people dealing with insanely late Kickstarters. Between the delays and generally mediocre quality (compared to mainline AAA games from the big companies) I've mostly written off KS. But I get that for some people it's like this compulsive thing. Even the decent stuff on there feels like off-brand knockoffs with slightly off art, rules, polish...everything. There are occasional true gems but those hit the mass market really fast anyway. I guess stuff like Kingdom Death is unique in that it's worth a lot now but I'm not into minis at all so I almost consider that a different category.

I tend to mostly back stuff with a lot of KS-exclusive content, which is honestly setting up all kinds of perverse incentives, since I hate the IDEA of KS-exclusive content.

Spookie

Do people actually enjoy Mansions of Madness?

I picked it up last week and after three games it's already up on Ebay! I've never been so angry and frustrated with a game in my life. We played the first scenario three times with two of the games being a carbon copy of each other and the third barely being any different. With only a few squares being the difference. On top of this both of us never enjoyed constantly getting shit on by the RNG from the dice and the extremely punishing nature of non-stop endless sanity checks with no way to clear the horrors due to the hidden timer. Nothing ever felt like it was deserved (ala Dark Souls is the closest comparison I can think), the entire game felt like a kick in the balls with the dice deciding how hard.

Possibly the worst board game I've ever played, how it's so highly rated is beyond me.

We played 2-player for the third time. This time I think we got all the rules correct, and I didn't accidentally cheat by putting two green tiles together, but I lost to my girlfriend for the third time in a row. This time we continued to increase our scores, but I was one point short, 64-65.

I screwed myself once by miscalculating 1 silver and starving a viking, so I lost 3 points there. I also screwed myself at least twice by failing dice actions. On one, I rolled 7 on a D8...3 times in a row. That's 1/512 odds. In general, the odds of me doing better than those rolls were 98.4%, kind of crazy.

Just like I always do in Lords of Waterdeep, I think I forgot to get 1 silver I earned once, which would have given me another 3 points. I could have also probably done better if I hadn't rushed certain early bonuses on the main board. Still, I'm kind of frustrated with myself that I didn't do better, because it FELT so much better than I've done before. I filled every space on an island, nearly filled two houses, and nearly filled my main board. I also had some great occupation combos and got an entire main board bonus round with all 5 bonuses from my starting occupation. Despite all this, I didn't emigrate at all, so she had a large point bonus there, and her occupation cards in general gave her more points.

Sorry I really enjoyed your HP thoughts. I'd be interested to know the final call on replayability when you open it all.

First and last.

They do tend to be pretty swingy based on the dice. If you're looking for a more deterministic, Euro-style thing...well, the Arkham universe games aren't it.

What people like about them is that they often create interesting (or bizarre) stories. MoM is more narrative-driven than most, obviously.

Spookie

They do tend to be pretty swingy based on the dice. If you're looking for a more deterministic, Euro-style thing...well, the Arkham universe games aren't it.

What people like about them is that they often create interesting (or bizarre) stories. MoM is more narrative-driven than most, obviously.

I'm ok with RNG, two of my fave games heavily rely on dice mechanics (Arcadia & IA) but your failure can be redeemed and recovered later on in the game with cards or someone elses fuck up. Theres a definite ebb and flow to those games. But with MoM it's a relentless stream of misery. :/

EYEL1NER

The review is a good one and very informative. It is much appreciated. I just don't care for Harry Potter at all and don't want a Harry Potter-themed game, especially one with stills from the movies or of the actors for the card art.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm super interested in picking up the Harry Potter game, but I'm concerned with the lack of replayability. Also, I'm wondering how easy/hard it will be for my wife to get into considering she's only slightly interested in games.

Lupercal

Banned
First and last.

To bad, MoM it's a pretty fantastic game. Are you sure you weren't doing anything wrong?
I think we've played it 6 times with out group and only the first time was bad.
Made some rule mistakes and Harvey's miscast of his spell trapped all of us in the starting area in a ring of fire. A wipe wasn't to far off.

Every game after that was exciting, special and unique.
Even had one detective use his unique skill to kill off some boss demon in one of the loudest dice throwing moments I've ever witnessed.

Even had the neighbours complain.

The owner is our Keeper though, he always does a great job of it and a good Keeper makes or breaks these games.

Spookie

The owner is our Keeper though, he always does a great job of it and a good Keeper makes or breaks these games.

The second edition uses the app. I play imperials on IA and if I've won a couple of games in a row I'll throw my game a bit or only put down Stormtroopers to give them a bit of an advantage. It's no fun if one side is stomping the other. The app doesn't give a shit though. It's 1000% ruthless.

Either way it's being sold and making way for Clank!. With Scythe that should be my gaming sorted till New Angeles, The Others, Pandemic Iberia or DOOM comes along.

Despite all this, I didn't emigrate at all, so she had a large point bonus there, and her occupation cards in general gave her more points.

I'm starting to learn that emigration is almost essential unless you go really heavy into exploration. You just can't make up the points you can get from emigration any other way unless you explore, or get a bunch of long houses. Granted, I haven't played this outside of (8) solo games. In my last game, I ended up getting over 100 points, but then realized the island I took I couldn't have gotten with just a Knarr.

Lupercal

Banned
The second edition uses the app. I play imperials on IA and if I've won a couple of games in a row I'll throw my game a bit or only put down Stormtroopers to give them a bit of an advantage. It's no fun if one side is stomping the other. The app doesn't give a shit though. It's 1000% ruthless.

Ah Second Edition my bad.
We only play the first, wayy better in our eyes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Do people actually enjoy Mansions of Madness?

I picked it up last week and after three games it's already up on Ebay! I've never been so angry and frustrated with a game in my life. We played the first scenario three times with two of the games being a carbon copy of each other and the third barely being any different. With only a few squares being the difference. On top of this both of us never enjoyed constantly getting shit on by the RNG from the dice and the extremely punishing nature of non-stop endless sanity checks with no way to clear the horrors due to the hidden timer. Nothing ever felt like it was deserved (ala Dark Souls is the closest comparison I can think), the entire game felt like a kick in the balls with the dice deciding how hard.

Possibly the worst board game I've ever played, how it's so highly rated is beyond me.

Hrrrm. I think it is a blast. Played the first scenario 4 times and three of the four times played out different. The last time I played it was quite dramatic
with the mansion tearing itself apart and a shoggoth heading toward us as we tried to disrupt the ritual

Sucks you had a bad experience with it. I've introduced it to three groups and all have had fun. How many investigators did you have?

Blizzard

Banned
I love uwe but I officially can't play that game now. Love your reviews, much appreciated.
It's honestly not too confusing to learn (but not master), but the teardown is like 15 minutes for me.

I'm starting to learn that emigration is almost essential unless you go really heavy into exploration. You just can't make up the points you can get from emigration any other way unless you explore, or get a bunch of long houses. Granted, I haven't played this outside of (8) solo games. In my last game, I ended up getting over 100 points, but then realized the island I took I couldn't have gotten with just a Knarr.
I'm still trying to avoid looking at the spoilery strategy threads until I beat 80 points. It's unfortunate if emigration is basically required, but maybe you can get by with only 1-2 emigrations.

If you've only had one 100+ game they say there's still room to go though, since people claim 120+ scores assuming they're playing it correctly.

I'm still trying to avoid looking at the spoilery strategy threads until I beat 80 points. It's unfortunate if emigration is basically required, but maybe you can get by with only 1-2 emigrations.

If you've only had one 100+ game they say there's still room to go though, since people claim 120+ scores assuming they're playing it correctly.

Maybe it's not completely necessary, I just can't imagine trying to make up the points from any other way besides exploring multiple islands or getting a bunch of houses. I do think one should be done per game though, just for the lesser food costs and the easy 18/21 points.

And I'm still using just the A deck. I definitely need to see if I can get over 100 without doing anything wrong first. I actually saw someone get a score of 160+ on twitter yesterday. It was crazy, but he ended up emigrating so much with that one starting occupation.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe it's not completely necessary, I just can't imagine trying to make up the points from any other way besides exploring multiple islands or getting a bunch of houses. I do think one should be done per game though, just for the lesser food costs and the easy 18/21 points.

And I'm still using just the A deck. I definitely need to see if I can get over 100 without doing anything wrong first. I actually saw someone get a score of 160+ on twitter yesterday. It was crazy, but he ended up emigrating so much with that one starting occupation.
I sometimes wonder if people follow the rules properly with such high scores, but one of the main game designers mentioned their high score was 150-160+ without early emigration.

Side note, I'm trying to start a casual weekly solo competition if you'd like to participate. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-solo-competition

I sometimes wonder if people follow the rules properly with such high scores, but one of the main game designers mentioned their high score was 150-160+ without early emigration.

Side note, I'm trying to start a casual weekly solo competition if you'd like to participate.

Funnily enough, the first guy who replied on the thread was the one I saw get the 160+ points. But I'm definitely interested.

Setting up to play Elder Sign for the first time in months. :D Got other things I want to do, so hopefully get a game in before midnight. Going to play the standard game with Unseen Forces for old time's sake.

The new Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter is a complete joke. I'm not going to be backing it.
Got a Sumo of it for now. Unless they reach $1M for that dragon and have some enemy packs at the >$500K levels, I may back out. Not gonna drop $300 on it with Kingdom Death on the 25th -- looking forward to that more than FoFo.

Edit: If the first one got $1.3M with the crazy amount of stuff they had, I'm not sure they'll make it to $1M this time.

Top Bottom