• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I've only really had positive experiences with it, although fog of love might end up stretching the friendship. I do avoid mini based games though, which seem to be the problem right now?

Along those lines I backed 5 minute dungeon today which looks really fun and kid friendly.
It's definitely better to go small on Kickstarter imo. I've been burned on small card games too like evil baby orphanage but who cares? It's a dumb little card game.

My main point against kickstarter is that there are so many good games coming out all the time, why would i throw a bunch of money at something that has any possibility of not being delivered and then have to wait over a year for it. I could walk into a game store tomorrow and find 10 games i don't own that are great games that would happily play.

Acquisition update: King of New York: Power Up expansion arrived, which was holding up 13 Days: Cuban Missile Crisis, Ora et Labora, Eminent Domain: Exotica, and Steamworks. I'm pretty excited to try out Ora soon as that and Glass Road are the last two of Uwe's big box games I don't own (Except for Cottage Garden? I'm not sure if that counts).

I also got Watchmen of Destiny, a small box card game and Ravingspire, a huge box deck building game. I'm actually quite surprised at the box quality, unfortunately, I think most of the budget went into the giant, wooden, magnetic-clasp box. Tokens are blank white on the back, the cards are the tiny kind, and the graphic design of the game isn't as clean as it could be. Hopefully the game plays well enough to offset those flaws; it's got a solo mode so I'm about to try that out.

Speaking of solo, I've also found out that I've been playing A Feast for Odin all wrong for my 10 solo games. At least the feeding your people part. I thought that only one good could be horizontal, not good type. I've been making it so much harder on myself.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of solo, I've also found out that I've been playing A Feast for Odin all wrong for my 10 solo games. At least the feeding your people part. I thought that only one good could be horizontal, not good type. I've been making it so much harder on myself.
I swear I miss something every game I play. The rules aren't THAT complicated, but I keep forgetting small details.

* Game one, I accidentally placed some green tiles together, got penalized.
* Game two, I accidentally placed some green tiles together AGAIN, got penalized.
* Game three, I finally placed tiles properly but forgot and placed two peas and two meads horizontal in a feast. Like you say, you can put two DIFFERENT tiles horizontal, but I didn't even remember until the game was over. Also to be thorough, I miscalculated by 1 silver and starved a viking. Got penalized.

It's definitely better to go small on Kickstarter imo. I've been burned on small card games too like evil baby orphanage but who cares? It's a dumb little card game.

My main point against kickstarter is that there are so many good games coming out all the time, why would i throw a bunch of money at something that has any possibility of not being delivered and then have to wait over a year for it. I could walk into a game store tomorrow and find 10 games i don't own that are great games that would happily play.

I can't really argue with that.

For something like Medici though I'm going to end up getting that way cheaper than from a store. Might just be an Aus thing, but sometimes it works out pretty well.

emag

Fourth game of Scythe on Monday. I'll play this once or twice more to explore all the factions (and action boards), but that's it.

I can't really argue with that.

For something like Medici though I'm going to end up getting that way cheaper than from a store. Might just be an Aus thing, but sometimes it works out pretty well.

I'm not entirely sure why I backed Medici -- possibly an emotional response to seeing one of my most-played-but-never-owned games coming back into print with better art. I probably could have gotten it cheaper from an online retailer, too.

(Of course, even this edition of Medici suffers from the Medici Curse (intermediate numbers on the scoring track are nearly invisible, purple/blue and yellow/orange goods colors are too similar), but that's still better than the previous editions.)

My best experiences of kickstarter have been with small cheaper games. Titles that needed support and funding to actually exist in the first place. Some of the worst have been by publishers who could have funded the game just fine, and they just fail to deliver or don't seem to give a damn about their actual game rules.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My best experiences of kickstarter have been with small cheaper games. Titles that needed support and funding to actually exist in the first place. Some of the worst have been by publishers who could have funded the game just fine, and they just fail to deliver or don't seem to give a damn about their actual game rules.

I've only backed 3 games:

Agility - Delivered and game is pretty fun. One or two bonus space rules are funky, but overall I'm happy with it. And more 2p games is always a good thing.
Gloomhaven - Regular updates means I'm happy. The game looks pretty cool and the box looks packed. Excited for this, but I'm in no hurry. At least the guy hasn't gone radio silent.
Massive Darkness - It's a CMON game, and my first one. I'm not sure what to expect out of the delivery date and such. Here's to hoping?

I will definitely be backing the next KD:M, so that will be my fourth.

Ohnonono

Some thoughts about Descent with the app. Note that I have not played this game with a human overlord so these are only thoughts about playing solo with the app, specifically the Delve mode.

The first thing I was worried about was just the amount of tiles in the game and that I would spend a lot of downtime sorting through them. Turns out that the Delve maps at least are pretty bite sized, between 3 and 4 tiles so far. The app tells you which ones to grab and it did not take long at all to set up. I expected to play one map and save the game but I ended up playing 3 of them in a row and lost during the 3rd map. It is a much more tactical experience than MoM2nd which is more narrative. Makes me pretty excited for the Imperial Assault app. The app is really smooth and I would say you are using it less than the MoM app. The game on normal mode was challenging and it is really cool how the Delve mode rewards you after each portal you take. You get to use the progress and learn new abilities at a decent clip. Feels very roguelike-ish.

Overall I think it is a great companion game to have along with MoM for when I want to kill more stuff and have a more tactical adventure. MoM certainly has a much stronger narrative at least compared to the Delve mode. I would imagine the campaigns have more story to them though, and probably some bigger maps. From fiddling with the app though it appears to tell you what tiles to take out at the start of a campaign quest, so you will just have a sorted pile of tiles that you could have to pull from. I want more stuff for this game now. Not sure where to go from the base set, but more character classes would be cool. Gonna be playing a lot of this while waiting for IA.

XShagrath

I always thought Descent looked cool, but don't like the idea of having an Overlord/DM since I usually play with small player counts. The app sounded like it would alleviate that. After playing MoM, I'm definitely leaning more towards picking this up sometime in the future. First things first though, finish painting up the MoM minis before I move on to something else mini-based.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Some thoughts about Descent with the app. Note that I have not played this game with a human overlord so these are only thoughts about playing solo with the app, specifically the Delve mode.

The first thing I was worried about was just the amount of tiles in the game and that I would spend a lot of downtime sorting through them. Turns out that the Delve maps at least are pretty bite sized, between 3 and 4 tiles so far. The app tells you which ones to grab and it did not take long at all to set up. I expected to play one map and save the game but I ended up playing 3 of them in a row and lost during the 3rd map. It is a much more tactical experience than MoM2nd which is more narrative. Makes me pretty excited for the Imperial Assault app. The app is really smooth and I would say you are using it less than the MoM app. The game on normal mode was challenging and it is really cool how the Delve mode rewards you after each portal you take. You get to use the progress and learn new abilities at a decent clip. Feels very roguelike-ish.

Overall I think it is a great companion game to have along with MoM for when I want to kill more stuff and have a more tactical adventure. MoM certainly has a much stronger narrative at least compared to the Delve mode. I would imagine the campaigns have more story to them though, and probably some bigger maps. From fiddling with the app though it appears to tell you what tiles to take out at the start of a campaign quest, so you will just have a sorted pile of tiles that you could have to pull from. I want more stuff for this game now. Not sure where to go from the base set, but more character classes would be cool. Gonna be playing a lot of this while waiting for IA.

Glad someone finally gave it a shot. I haven't booted it up yet, but I'm excited to. I'll be giving it a shot soon and am more excited to after your post.

d1rtn4p

It's funny, my group has the opposite opinion on the narrative. We always come out of a Descent session feeling like we played an RPG quest to completion. When we tried MOM, it just felt like searching bookshelves for three hours :)

This popped up at my local game store today: The Crow: Fire It Up!]

I just...I just know the game is likely awful, but god help me, I'll probably buy it. It's a shame info on the game is so scarce, though. I can't even find out the player count. The official site hints at it being 2-player, but doesn't specifically say.

I saw this also at my local store along with Banner Saga. They both seems terrible but I keep looking at Banner Saga. Anyway, I think I am going to save my cash for Burning of Prospero. Those GW box game cost pretty penny.

Road to legend is awesome. My gaming group had two campaigns going. An overlord campaign and a app campaign. I sort of prefer the app.

Tonight we are taking a break from descent to try pandemic. I'm pretty stoked. I've Bryn wanting to try it for a bit.

By the way, what is MoM?

There is only so much ai that can be built into a board game without it getting too complex, or slowed down. Hence RPG's typically having instant reactions performed by a GM, as to keep things moving along. Making combat more complex slows game down, adding more AI, slows things down, eventually you just have one overly complicated slow game.

Sure, but there are ways to to mitigate that as well. For instance, one thing SoB does is that it often throws TONS of models at you in combat, so combat ends up getting bogged down anyway. I think a smaller number of enemies per combat with a slightly more robust combat system would've been to the game's advantage.

And yeah, something like an AI deck isn't ever going to be able to react to player actions as well as a GM could, but at least it provides some unpredictability and variation beyond "run at you and roll dice".

joelseph

KS games I currently have going:

Tiny Epic Quest
Unreal Estate
Word Domination
Island Hopper
Fields of Green
Millennium Blades - Reprint
Fugitive
Heroes and Tricks
One Deck Dungeon
Bottom of the 9th: Clubhouse Expansion

Ohnonono

Also as a pretty funny aside, it took less time for me to set up and play 3 maps of a fully featured dungeon crawler than it does to set up and play Elder Sign Omens of Ice or Streets of Arkham.

I think between preferring Arkham Horror for the big adventure game, MoM for a smaller easier playing game, and now the card game seeming to be another great thematic implementation I doubt Elder Sign ever gets played anymore. Super great game, but at this point it is not a quick play and cuts some corners the other games don't.

It will always me my gateway into the Arkham stuff though so it will stay on the shelf unless I find someone cool to give it to.

Ohnonono

New Kickstarter up from Monolith

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon?ref=user_menu

Mythic Battles Pantheon. Looks like it supports FFA and team skirmishes, scenarios and a campaign. Another minature based big box game. I wonder if it has the same dream team of designers that Conan did? Also looks like there will be no late pledges on this project which will probably help with turnaround time.

Is this related to the other Mythic Battles game? That one had some good reviews. It had tokens instead of minis and other stuff looks different but some of the art is the same.

EYEL1NER

Is this related to the other Mythic Battles game? That one had some good reviews. It had tokens instead of minis and other stuff looks different but some of the art is the same.
It is. I've wanted to get the old Mythic Battles game and both expansions for a while but held out because I wanted to see what this looked like, they announced it quite a while ago. i think I'm going to stick with wanting the old game though, nothing from this campaign is jumping out at me and making me want to pledge. As I said before in reference to Shadows of Brimstone and the plethora of other KS miniature dumps: I like miniatures, but I am not a "miniatures fan." None of those minis are things I feel an uncontrollable urge to paint, I don't have any other games in my back catalog that those miniatures are perfectly suited for... I'm sure the crowd who goes all-in for the highest pledge level and all add-one on every minis campaign will be all over it though.

EYEL1NER

There was some talk recently about Elder Signs. I know I was asking about expansions and got a lot of input. That probably means that more than a few of you would be interested in the new expansion that got announced today: Omens of the Deep: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/2/omens-of-the-deep/
It seems like it has quite a bit of new things, including the following new game mode:
The R’lyeh Rising mode of gameplay features two stages, each with their own risks and rewards. In the first stage, you and your fellow investigators will navigate the Dark Waters track to explore the remote location to which the amulet has drawn The Ultima Thule. In the second phase, your team will assemble the Amulet of R’lyeh and collect Elder Signs to seal away the evils that inhabit the sunken city of R’lyeh, in an attempt to defeat the slumbering Ancient One. However, savvy investigators should beware of lingering too long in the dark waters or plunging too eagerly into the amulet’s mysteries! Each stage is fraught with fresh horrors, so tread with care as you seek out the secrets of the deep.
So yeah, sounds cool no?
Only thing that sucks is I am *this* close to pulling the trigger on a cool-looking wooden custom storage solution that already doesn't hold the latest expansion, and then here is a new expansion. Some of you will be scrambling for new sheets of foamcore and your x-acto knives, I'm sure.

Karkador

Banned
Hey Stooge (and anyone else), I have a question I thought I might as well post here for discussion's sake.

What's a publisher's general policy about other people posting a game's rules online (word for word, if not the PDF of the actual rulebook)?

What are the pros and cons, from the perspective of the company?

Had a good and tense game of Elder Sign w/ Unseen Forces. Didn't get around to it on Halloween. :<

Happy to see another expansion announced, though I have barely played Omens of Ice.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey Stooge (and anyone else), I have a question I thought I might as well post here for discussion's sake.

What's a publisher's general policy about other people posting a game's rules online (word for word, if not the PDF of the actual rulebook)?

What are the pros and cons, from the perspective of the company?
With most of the games I follow, the developers themselves post the PDF. I thought it was super common and official.

So I just played more Kingdom Death Monster today. My friend and I are only at LY14-15. We meet every month or so, doing at least 3 years each time. It was such a weird session. We first decided to go fight a level 1 Antelope since we went from a level 2 White Lion to a level 1 Phoenix last time (Bad choice). We absolutely decimated it in one round. And then our strongest survivors couldn't be in the next hunt and we were facing The Hand for the first time. I hate Nemesis fights. We somehow survived the majority of the fight without losing anyone, but at the end we lost 2. We then fought a level 2 Antelope and beat that without much problems. Every time I play this game just reiterates how much I enjoy it and why it's my favorite board game. The gameplay loop is so satisfyingly addicting; it really is like grotesque horror Monster Hunter the board game.

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys, I'm travelling to Japan soon and I was hoping to check out some board game stores in the hope that I can get some Japan exclusive games or at least a alternate art version of something. Any recommendations on stores or games to keep an eye out for? I'll be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima, mostly.

Karkador

Banned
Hey guys, I'm travelling to Japan soon and I was hoping to check out some board game stores in the hope that I can get some Japan exclusive games or at least a alternate art version of something. Any recommendations on stores or games to keep an eye out for? I'll be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima, mostly.

The ones I always hear about are Role & Roll Station, Yellow Submarine, and Sugorokuya.

Are you gonna be there for tgm? I'd highly recommend going if so

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So I just played more Kingdom Death Monster today. My friend and I are only at LY14-15. We meet every month or so, doing at least 3 years each time. It was such a weird session. We first decided to go fight a level 1 Antelope since we went from a level 2 White Lion to a level 1 Phoenix last time (Bad choice). We absolutely decimated it in one round. And then our strongest survivors couldn't be in the next hunt and we were facing The Hand for the first time. I hate Nemesis fights. We somehow survived the majority of the fight without losing anyone, but at the end we lost 2. We then fought a level 2 Antelope and beat that without much problems. Every time I play this game just reiterates how much I enjoy it and why it's my favorite board game. The gameplay loop is so satisfyingly addicting; it really is like grotesque horror Monster Hunter the board game.

It is way up in my favorite games list. Even after seeing a lot of the campaign book, it hasn't gotten old at all. We have started maybe 5 or 6 legit campaigns, ones where we didn't restart after like 3 lantern years or whatever. We only made it to the final showdown one time and we got DESTROYED lol

EYEL1NER

It may not be to your tastes, but if I were going to Japan soon and would be hitting up a game store, the first thing I would ask about would be Sanzen Sekai: I'd kill all the crows in the world to be with you a little longer. It's a short and light game with two decks: One deck consists of birds which are played in front of the players and, upon crying, eliminate the current player; the other deck consists of shamisen cards which are played from your hand to silence the birds by moving them elsewhere, shooing them away, or killing them. The game comes with a wooden board too that houses the time mechanism for each player's turn (that I believe represents the rising sun). According to the game's description on BGG, the game's name and theme comes from a song that was sang by a guest at a red light district 160 years ago in Meiji-era Japan. The gist of the song was "When a crow cries, I must leave this place. Even if I must kill crows all over the world, I want to stay with you a little while longer."

I've been wanting a copy. They had it once on the GeekStore but it sold out quick and I missed out. So that is what I personally would look for if I was in your shoes.

joelseph

If you come across a copy of "Who Soiled the Toilet" [&#12488;&#12452;&#12524;&#12434;&#27738;&#12375;&#12383;&#12398;&#12399;&#35504;&#12384;&#65311;] by Katsuya Kitano I would gladly pay extra for your troubles.

Toire o Yogoshita nowa Dareda? (Who Soiled the Toilet?) (Katsuya Kitano (&#21271;&#37326;&#20811;&#21705;))

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193588/item/4851259#item4851259

WStTSchachtel.jpg

So board game gaf how is pixel tactics? I saw this kickstarter link on twitter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/mega-man-pixel-tactics?token=33375021

And my love of tactics games and mega man got me very interested. I learned there are a bunch of these pixel tactics games and their cheap. The few reviews I saw seemed positive but do you think this is worth getting or should I start with one of the cheaper sets? The deluxe I saw on amazon is half off for like $20 is that a good starting spot?

Fireblend

Banned
Are you gonna be there for tgm? I'd highly recommend going if so

Hmmmm. HMMMM. I'm gonna be in Kyoto but since I'm getting a rail pass I might as well go back to Tokyo just that one day >_> wonder how early I'd have to be there and if I can manage to convince my gf to humor me that one day :D

Ohnonono

Managed to get 2 copies of the Arkham Card Game reserved at my FLGS. Pretty excited now! Thought I was going to have to wait until it got a second shipment.

Hmmmm. HMMMM. I'm gonna be in Kyoto but since I'm getting a rail pass I might as well go back to Tokyo just that one day >_> wonder how early I'd have to be there and if I can manage to convince my gf to humor me that one day :D

I went there last year and I'm thinking on going again this year.

You can convince her by proposing to go here afterwards http://daiba.ooedoonsen.jp/en/ it's pretty close to tokyo bight sight which is where TGM is held.

The KD:M Black Friday Kickstarter can't come soon enough!
I know. I'm selling off rarely used stuff on local classifieds to fund it's purchase (and to ween myself off the urge to horde/collect stuff). Just sold 5 Genesis games in the last 12hrs for $150 Canadian, and an old paintball gun for $120.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I know. I'm selling off rarely used stuff on local classifieds to fund it's purchase (and to ween myself off the urge to horde/collect stuff). Just sold 5 Genesis games in the last 12hrs for $150 Canadian, and an old paintball gun for $120.

I started reading the rules so that I could be ready for the game when the day finally comes. I could do a PnP version to get a handle on the actual experience, but that's a LOT of work.

I'm hoping the turn around time from KD:M isn't that long (mid-2017 at the latest?) considering that the molds for casting the existing miniatures are already completed. One can dream. No rush on the rules for me, I figure there'll be lots of time and I'll need to get some Robinson Crusoe in when my copy arrives.

Top Bottom