• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

There are plenty of unboxing vids and component pictures out there of TMNT, and they all look better than mine, but I took the pics for something else anyway so I might as well post them.
Here we have the blx in all of its 9lb glory:
0OahKjF.jpg

A pic of the box front:
3f6BdwC.jpg

The box back:
1jxWwth.jpg

My favorite part of the contents, the lithographs (I'm not even a fan of the comic too, I'm a fan of the OG cartoon and toys, but these lithographs are too cool of collectibles):
eo9UHXH.jpg

The Kevin Eastman hand-signed lithograph:
DsyVkWn.jpg

Rulebook, comic with exclusive variant cover, two adventure comics containing missions, and KS adventure comic with the exclusive missions:
yfwMC3r.jpg

Plenty o' dice:
0powGJg.jpg

One of the map tiles:
2oDwzJ8.jpg

Some of the minis (two Eastman variant sculpts of the turtles, Ultimate Shredder, Splinter, and then Bebop and Rocksteady in the back and out of focus):
GotZHYa.jpg
Some quick jumbled thoughts:
The components look great and capture the look of the comic pretty well. This campaign is my first exposure to the comics but they nailed it. The minis are decent but there is some odd size variations between some, like April is taller than the regular Shredder. I received the correct minis and none are broken so no problems there, unlike a lot of others, but a lot of the thin weapons like the weapons of Casey Jones and the Foot Clan Elite are horribly bent and wavy. I know it's a common problem with thin pieces on miniatures, especially with CMoN minis (I still remember playing Zombicide for the first time and picking up a mini and asking "Why does this guy's sword look like its a ribbon or something? Is it supposed to be made of foil rather than steel? It's just drooping off the hilt and hanging towards the ground"). I'll give boiling them a shot, or at least dunking them in hot water. The non-Eastman sculpts of the turtles are kind of puny and missing some detail in the face but I've already seen some painted versions on the FB page and they turn out great if you know what you are doing with paint (I don't). The exterior shipping box was crushed a bit on one side and there was no protection inside to keep the game box safe, but mine didn't have a flaw on it. The adventure comics and character boards are made of thick paper/cardstock and feel good because of the weight to them. The dice also seem like they are quality dice and shouldn't really see any paint chipping off or rubbing away.

I'll have to learn it quick because I want to play it. I wish I didn't have plans for Saturday or else I would go to the Extra Life 24-hr marathon at a store in the city. I had a long bitchfest of a post a few days ago, detailing my disappointment over not being able to play any games, but I could definitely get this and others played if I went to that. I look forward to whenever I will get to play it though because I cannot wait to see the look on whoever I play with's face when I set this down on the table. Unless they weren't a Ninja Turtle fan growing up and they have no expression on their face, in which case I might say "Screw you then, if you don't like TMNT" and find someone else to play with. It seems like a well-put-together game and the reading of the rules I've done so far makes it seem like it will be a tad bit more fun that Zombicide.

Oh, and there is an IDW Games insert in the box which advertises current and upcoming releases. It didn't really have any info on Escape from 100 Million B.C. but it was still featured in there, so that made me a bit giddy. I mean, I've got a kickass Ninja Turtles game now, might as well go full-on "8 Year Old 'EYEL1NER'" and get a cool dinosaur game too.

fenners

Introduced A Study Of Emerald to a few teammates after work - I'd put it on my pile of in-office games after picking it up from someone in town just the other day. At a jaunty, eye-catching angle... Funny how it caught the eye of four or five people ;)

First game, after teaching - 25 minutes. Player A decided to assassinate the only player with points. We told him this could end badly. Blam, role revealed, restorationist. There's a loyalist at zero points (Player A), so they all get eliminated. Player A was a loyalist at zero points... The revealed player wins.

Second game - about 40 minutes in, momentum's building up, three of us are jostling for 20 points, getting close to 25. Player A buys a card forcing him to flip his loyalty. Another player assassinates him & blam his role is revealed, end of game. But with his loyalty flip, everyone bar the attacker is on the same team, and, oh, Player A has the fewest points... So all restorationists are eliminated.

F#?!

:)

Absolutely fun games, showing the weirdness & problem-space of this wonderful game. Fun to play with an economist & a bunch of far too good at grasping game systems game programmers.

EYEL1NER

I really, really, REALLY wish I could have backed that TMNT game. Going to have to hunt it down on eBay.
The Kevin Eastman exclusive content (him as an ally, his mission, his map) won't be available later (he is able to hand out his ally card though, probably at cons) but the "Kickstarter Exclusive" characters will more than likely be released in Ally packs later ala Imperial Assault with different sculpts to differentiate them from the "Exclusive" versions. Some backers are already talking about buying the April ally pack depending on how the sculpt looks, since the current April is as tall as Bsbop and Rocksteady. The game itself is on CSI as a preorder still for quite a bit cheaper than the KS but without the stretch goals.
So you could pick it up from a OLGS now and try to pick up the additional characters as they release. You won't get everything that way though.
Introduced A Study Of Emerald to a few teammates after work - I'd put it on my pile of in-office games after picking it up from someone in town just the other day. At a jaunty, eye-catching angle... Funny how it caught the eye of four or five people ;)

First game, after teaching - 25 minutes. Player A decided to assassinate the only player with points. We told him this could end badly. Blam, role revealed, restorationist. There's a loyalist at zero points (Player A), so they all get eliminated. Player A was a loyalist at zero points... The revealed player wins.

Second game - about 40 minutes in, momentum's building up, three of us are jostling for 20 points, getting close to 25. Player A buys a card forcing him to flip his loyalty. Another player assassinates him & blam his role is revealed, end of game. But with his loyalty flip, everyone bar the attacker is on the same team, and, oh, Player A has the fewest points... So all restorationists are eliminated.

F#?!

:)

Absolutely fun games, showing the weirdness & problem-space of this wonderful game. Fun to play with an economist & a bunch of far too good at grasping game systems game programmers.
Those both sound like interesting experiences. I haven't looked into the game that much. A couple years ago I saw that Neil Gaiman did the art and was intrigued but then I saw how much it cost. I saw the news when the second edition was announced but it seemed like 1E owners were saying that the second edition looked inferior. Which edition was it that you picked up and were playing?
So board game gaf how is pixel tactics? I saw this kickstarter link on twitter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/mega-man-pixel-tactics?token=33375021

And my love of tactics games and mega man got me very interested. I learned there are a bunch of these pixel tactics games and their cheap. The few reviews I saw seemed positive but do you think this is worth getting or should I start with one of the cheaper sets? The deluxe I saw on amazon is half off for like $20 is that a good starting spot?
Here is a post from BGG that someone made when someone asked where they should start off:
My opinion is either 1, 2, or 3 is a good place to start. I think 3 has a good balance and easy to learn. 4 and 5 introduce traps which are fun but adds another element.

PTD is a new set of cards, but also adds cards like location cards, basic cards (nice for drafting and deck building). These are mainly used in varient play styles like tournament and league play. It's probably better to get another version before you get Deluxe just because a lot of the extra stuff might not get used.
My suggestion before finding that post was going to be to start off with PT 1 rather than PT DX because, while DX can be played standalone, it is much more useful as a supplement to other sets. I was hesitant to offer my advice because I have yet to play Pixel Tactics (despite owning all five sets, DX, and most of the promos).
You could start with Mega Man Pixel Tactics if you wanted but you'll be waiting until at least Summer of next year, provided there are no delays.

Other news: I just received shipping notification for Zombie Tower 3D: International Edition. So that's good.
I'm pretty sure I will back Lazer Ryderz too before it ends tonight. I love the 80's vibe of the game and the simplistic Tron Light Cycle style gameplay makes it look like a fun game.

Ohnonono

Added Shadows of Nerkhall and a lieutenant pack to my Descent collection. excited for more stuff. In particular the new mage class that can make mirror images seems really cool.

Also when I played the first time with 2 character I did not use the apparently new rule that gives each character a free basic attack action or the ability to heal 2 health every turn. This would go a LONG way to making it less of a race against the clock. Much more reasonable. Also solves the problem of needing a healer in a 2 character game so I can run whatever I want as my team. Good things!

fenners

Those both sound like interesting experiences. I haven't looked into the game that much. A couple years ago I saw that Neil Gaiman did the art and was intrigued but then I saw how much it cost. I saw the news when the second edition was announced but it seemed like 1E owners were saying that the second edition looked inferior. Which edition was it that you picked up and were playing?

This is 1st edition. It's inspired by a short story from Neil Gaiman, designed by Martin Wallace. No clue who did the art ;)

It's a weird funky game - hard to teach, hard to play at first, hard to figure out, but there's nothing quite like it. The 1st edition throws in everything & the kitchen sink. The 2nd edition 'simplified' a whole bunch of systems, overhauled the map layout & game structure. I can see the value of an overhaul, but 2e wasn't the right direction. There's a reason it's held its value...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Added Shadows of Nerkhall and a lieutenant pack to my Descent collection. excited for more stuff. In particular the new mage class that can make mirror images seems really cool.

Also when I played the first time with 2 character I did not use the apparently new rule that gives each character a free basic attack action or the ability to heal 2 health every turn. This would go a LONG way to making it less of a race against the clock. Much more reasonable. Also solves the problem of needing a healer in a 2 character game so I can run whatever I want as my team. Good things!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how lieutenants play out in the app. I was considering grabbing a few, but I don't know if they're worth the investment.

Ohnonono

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how lieutenants play out in the app. I was considering grabbing a few, but I don't know if they're worth the investment.

My understanding is that they become a punishment when you are not moving fast enough. Also if a quest happens to use that miniature it is nice to have them. I watched a video play of a campaign game and about 4 turns before they lost one of them spawned and ended up using an ability to swap places with a hero who was trying to pass a test to win the scenario. In the end they lost basically because of this happening, but not because it came in and just blew them up or anything. Seemed really cool. Currently my plan is to buy the ones that I think have cool figures.

EYEL1NER

This is 1st edition. It's inspired by a short story from Neil Gaiman, designed by Martin Wallace. No clue who did the art ;)

It's a weird funky game - hard to teach, hard to play at first, hard to figure out, but there's nothing quite like it. The 1st edition throws in everything & the kitchen sink. The 2nd edition 'simplified' a whole bunch of systems, overhauled the map layout & game structure. I can see the value of an overhaul, but 2e wasn't the right direction. There's a reason it's held its value...
Yeah, I slipped up there. Neil Gaiman is an author, so why would he be doing the art anyway? I guess I didn't know that Martin Wallace designed it though.
I too see why overhauling the game would have been a good idea but it doesn't seem like they executed it well at all. For as many complaints as the first version's board art had, I love it.
I hope I'll get my hands on a copy at some point.

fenners

Yeah, I slipped up there. Neil Gaiman is an author, so why would he be doing the art anyway? I guess I didn't know that Martin Wallace designed it though.
I too see why overhauling the game would have been a good idea but it doesn't seem like they executed it well at all. For as many complaints as the first version's board art had, I love it.
I hope I'll get my hands on a copy at some point.

Oh I love the look of it too. Love the game for all its craziness. Nothing quite like it.

Here is a post from BGG that someone made when someone asked where they should start off:

My suggestion before finding that post was going to be to start off with PT 1 rather than PT DX because, while DX can be played standalone, it is much more useful as a supplement to other sets. I was hesitant to offer my advice because I have yet to play Pixel Tactics (despite owning all five sets, DX, and most of the promos).
You could start with Mega Man Pixel Tactics if you wanted but you'll be waiting until at least Summer of next year, provided there are no delays.

Sounds good, I ordered PT1 and Deluxe the latter because it was so cheap compared to the suggested retail price but I won't play around with it till I get comfortable with the base game.

Dreavus

Sounds good, I ordered PT1 and Deluxe the latter because it was so cheap compared to the suggested retail price but I won't play around with it till I get comfortable with the base game.

I gotten ten or so PT1 games in and the game keeps on giving all by itself. It's a little concerning because I'm one of those knuckleheads who went all in the PT deluxe kickstarter and I've barely had a chance to play all the other games. PT1 is a lot of value just by itself because of how the leaders change the game.

Blizzard

Banned
I wonder if any of these are good with 2 players. I'd love to play all of them but it's pretty much just my wife and me since we moved.
I've only played Cyclades with 2 players, but my girlfriend hated it. I don't think she's fond of either wargames or high conflict games, and Cyclades has a bit of both. You move around a map and do your best to screw over your opponent by outbidding them, destroying their lands, and taking the cards/powers they want.

I gotten ten or so PT1 games in and the game keeps on giving all by itself. It's a little concerning because I'm one of those knuckleheads who went all in the PT deluxe kickstarter and I've barely had a chance to play all the other games. PT1 is a lot of value just by itself because of how the leaders change the game.

Yeah I'm excited to play need to find some irl people to play these kinds of games with.

Neverfade

I wonder if any of these are good with 2 players. I'd love to play all of them but it's pretty much just my wife and me since we moved.

I haven't played any with 2, but with Cyclades' auction mechanic and Inis' card draft, I can't imagine either being very fun. Kemet might fare better?

Hmmmm. HMMMM. I'm gonna be in Kyoto but since I'm getting a rail pass I might as well go back to Tokyo just that one day >_> wonder how early I'd have to be there and if I can manage to convince my gf to humor me that one day :D

Welp, I decided I wanted to go to JP again. I'll be 4 days in tokyo and 4 in kyoto. Have you decided if you want to go to Tokyo game market? Maybe we can share some tips.

Fireblend

Banned
Welp, I decided I wanted to go to JP again. I'll be 4 days in tokyo and 4 in kyoto. Have you decided if you want to go to Tokyo game market? Maybe we can share some tips.
I decided I'd visit some of the known shops when I'm in Tokyo and if I'm not satisfied with the game selection I'll try to attend TGM. I'm not really planning to blow my entire budget in board games so if I've already bought a couple by the time TGM is on I'll skip it I think :p I do want to get indie obscure games and it sounds like the ideal event for that though :D

I decided I'd visit some of the known shops when I'm in Tokyo and if I'm not satisfied with the game selection I'll try to attend TGM. I'm not really planning to blow my entire budget in board games so if I've already bought a couple by the time TGM is on I'll skip it I think :p I do want to get indie obscure games and it sounds like the ideal event for that though :D

Games at TGM are cheaper though. Oink games are usually 2000y instead of 2200y. Also a lot of the more handmade games are unavailable at shops.

I find the whole event super fun and it's nice to have some more english speaking folks around (I don't speak any japanese at all). BGG has some nice TGM geek list with games and pre-order links.

The Kevin Eastman exclusive content (him as an ally, his mission, his map) won't be available later (he is able to hand out his ally card though, probably at cons)
So funny story, apparently I DID back it after the KS because the basic game was delivered today! I just got the basic set, no pizza box and no KS exclusives, so I will still have to see about the KS exclusives somewhere.

My understanding is that they become a punishment when you are not moving fast enough. Also if a quest happens to use that miniature it is nice to have them. I watched a video play of a campaign game and about 4 turns before they lost one of them spawned and ended up using an ability to swap places with a hero who was trying to pass a test to win the scenario. In the end they lost basically because of this happening, but not because it came in and just blew them up or anything. Seemed really cool. Currently my plan is to buy the ones that I think have cool figures.
Not quite. Lieutenants aren't really used by the app at all, except as a scenario or side mission dictates. What happens if you're going too slow is a "Peril", which ranks from Minor to Major to Extreme. Minor is kind of annoying, but not really fucking you over. Major fucks with your party in pretty bad ways. One example is one that heals monsters and splits that damage amongst the party. Extreme generally says "you have X turns until you lose". So once you've hit major the game goes sideways REAL quick. We actually lost a side quest because of Extreme Perils, because the Major perils fucked with us so badly that we could not do enough damage to the quest boss to win.

I haven't played any with 2, but with Cyclades' auction mechanic and Inis' card draft, I can't imagine either being very fun. Kemet might fare better?
Cyclades plays surprisingly well with 2. The only rule change is you will end up bidding for two gods. The rest of the game plays out the same and I think there is more combat since it's possible to build and move troops in one turn.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I played my first two sessions of Pax Porfiriana and it sure is... different, yet still familiar. Will write some more impressions about it later on, but I'd say every gamer with interest for unique and more complex tactical on the spot thinking might want to have one of the Pax games in his collection.

JSR_Cube

I'm waiting for my Inis copy to ship still. :(

I got my Lorenzo Il Magnifico though so hope to give that a shot soon.

Great Western Trail should be soon too. Lots of great new games to play! We're still looking forward to more Cry Havoc as well and haven't given that enough love yet.

Iced

Played Deception: Murder in Hong Kong last night. The first time I ever played this game, it was at a cottage with 3 other people. It was...okay.

Oh, what a difference 5 other players makes. Playing with 9 players last was just a blast. On our second game, the forensic scientist indicated "stormy" for the weather. During our evidence collection phase, I made note of this and said that it had to be of some importance, because if it wasn't, she likely would have just listed "sunny". After a bit more scanning, I noted that one of the players had "puzzle" for their evidence, and that one might be inclined to do a puzzle on a stormy day. Not 5 seconds later, another player tossed in his badge and won the game. We hadn't even gotten to the presentation phase! Other games lasted longer, but that victory had everyone blown away.

EYEL1NER

I'm going to make some people angry, but fuck Kickstarter flippers. It's just gross to me.
I assume you are referring to people who back campaigns with the sole purpose of flipping them, like the storefronts on eBay that will have multiple copies of the highest pledge tier for a game listed as a "pre-order" and priced at 2x and 3x what it cost months before it is due to ship?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I assume you are referring to people who back campaigns with the sole purpose of flipping them, like the storefronts on eBay that will have multiple copies of the highest pledge tier for a game listed as a "pre-order" and priced at 2x and 3x what it cost months before it is due to ship?

Yup.

Obviously, I have zero intention of buying the games...But still. Seeing this stuff makes me angry.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yup.

Obviously, I have zero intention of buying the games...But still. Seeing this stuff makes me angry.
Really hoping the whole Kickstarter fad ends soon. Think it does more harm than good by exploiting human psychology more than actually producing good games. Kind of like mobile f2p games actually (obviously there are exceptions).

But of course we'll probably go the other way and see the next multi-million dollar star-wars licensed collectible game from FFG on KS...because why turn down free money while the getting's still good.

EYEL1NER

Yup.

Yeah, I've got no love for those types at all.
I dislike reselling and "flipping" when it comes to anything: video games, board games, whatever. Every now and then I think 'Man, I should get in on this. What, the Nintendo Switch is getting a lot of hype? I could easily afford a dozen of those and make a tidy profit off of them.' Then I decide against it, not because of the risk of winding up with unsold merchandise or that I'm too lazy to actually go through with it, but because I dont feel like I need to take advantage of people with too much money. There will be more than enough other people lining up for the chance to take some fool's money, but I don't need to be that guy.

Got my Pixel tactics 1 and Deluxe, even just with PT1 its mind boggling how simple/complex this game gets. Glad I got deluxe just for the sorting cards and being able to keep all future pixel tactics in one box.

EYEL1NER

Got my Pixel tactics 1 and Deluxe, even just with PT1 its mind boggling how simple/complex this game gets. Glad I got deluxe just for the sorting cards and being able to keep all future pixel tactics in one box.
I saw where you said yesterday that you hoped you could find someone to play it with you. I've detailed my inability to play any games at length in here but I know I have seen a couple other people in here express that they have problems finding people to play games from L99 with them, mainly BattleCON. It really is too bad that they make such good games but then the people who buy them can never get them to the table.
I didn't even think about DX being a good buy for you along with PT 1 just for it being a great storage/sorting solution. It will be handy for when you buy newer PT games also.
Hope you like it.
Eagle Games got themselves into a bit of trouble with their latest reviewing tactics:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames...pr_department_has_decided_to_shoot_itself_in/

Pretty crazy and I think a bit shady too.
Wow, pretty scummy. Good that it came to light though. I can't recall what they've done in the past but I know that I've seen some pretty negative stuff about them on BGG more than once regarding them and their retail tactics before.
For a second I thought 'There isn't anything I would ever want to buy from them I don't think, besides Defenders of the Realm.' Then I remembered that Baseball Highlights 2045 is under Eagle-Gryphon Games (man, they want $120 for a bundle of 20 of the team packs that contain 15 cards each? Madness). I guess I would like to try Through the Ages and Roll Through the Ages at some point too. But then I went to their site to see what else is in their catalog, only to have an ad for PitchCar: Extension 6 staring at me from the top of the page. What?! How did I not know about a new PitchCar expansion?! Must buy...

Experien

Played Mouser Panic scenario of TMNT by myself. It was brutal since I forgot to add special abilities but it was fun! Looking forward to more plays of the game but I don't know about a campaign.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I saw where you said yesterday that you hoped you could find someone to play it with you. I've detailed my inability to play any games at length in here but I know I have seen a couple other people in here express that they have problems finding people to play games from L99 with them, mainly BattleCON. It really is too bad that they make such good games but then the people who buy them can never get them to the table.
I didn't even think about DX being a good buy for you along with PT 1 just for it being a great storage/sorting solution. It will be handy for when you buy newer PT games also.
Hope you like it.

Wow, pretty scummy. Good that it came to light though. I can't recall what they've done in the past but I know that I've seen some pretty negative stuff about them on BGG more than once regarding them and their retail tactics before.
For a second I thought 'There isn't anything I would ever want to buy from them I don't think, besides Defenders of the Realm.' Then I remembered that Baseball Highlights 2045 is under Eagle-Gryphon Games (man, they want $120 for a bundle of 20 of the team packs that contain 15 cards each? Madness). I guess I would like to try Through the Ages and Roll Through the Ages at some point too. But then I went to their site to see what else is in their catalog, only to have an ad for PitchCar: Extension 6 staring at me from the top of the page. What?! How did I not know about a new PitchCar expansion?! Must buy...
Yeah Baseball Highlights is a great game but the team packs are totally not worth it. All the same art and just a handful of tweaks at most. Only the expansions with new free agents are worth it imo. I will say I lost some of my PitchCar side rails and they sent me a bunch for free a couple years ago, so at least in the customer service side they were legit, but their business/marketing side sounds like a cluster.

Hope you like it.

The "can't find anyone to play with you" syndrome has always kept me away from picking up lots of obscure board games. There was nothing more frustrating in college then trying to explain to people how to play Axis and Allies and them going "this is too hard lets play Risk" *gag*

Blizzard

Banned
I'll keep this Feast of Odin post (tm) brief. First, I finally got a 3-player game in instead of solo or 2-player. It took a long time but worked out okay. We had 84, 56, and 57 scores. I thought I was doing well but only ended up with 84 despite an island, some boats, and some emigration. At least I finally won!

Second, the solo mode is very strong in my opinion. Unlike a lot of games where you have to play a dummy or AI player in some fashion, in this one you block yourself by alternating colors and leaving the previous turn's workers on the board. This means that the spaces most likely to be blocked are possibly the most helpful. There's also no downtime for a dummy/AI. It's unusually addictive for a solo mode, since you end games with logic stuck in your head, pondering how you could have slightly optimized it more.

Third, someone was complaining about emigration in a BGG thread. There's been some concern that it's too strong and too easy to notice that it gives you lots of points. One of the main organizers/developers, Frank Heeren, mentioned he thought he could get 130+ points in any solo game without even using emigration. I said I didn't doubt him, but he was welcome to enter the challenge if he was bored. Oops -- he took it up and got 144 points blind on the first try with no emigration and a -3 point penalty tile to troll everyone. :p https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/216515/item/5007822#item5007822

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So couple BGG items:

-Who's going to BGG.Con? Going with a couple friends/co-workers this year (which I believe will be my 6th, though I skipped last year to go to FFG Worlds). Staying at Hyatt Place (I think the Grapevine one -- have to check) and getting in next Tuesday pretty early. If anyone wants to meet up for games pretty much have zero plans as usual, other than lots of open gaming. :p

-Jack Vasel Auction is up. Some pretty cool and unique items as always if you don't mind wading through some of the more pedestrian stuff. I'm currently bidding on some Arkham Nights promos (FFG always has really good items in these things) and a couple other promos.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There was a gamers swap meet today at one of our game stores here in Houston. So, I brought this

30172159144_d2437d743d_h.jpg

Ended up making almost 1000 in store credit, came home with this

30168389493_83b0f90ad6_h.jpg

The Caverna had the promo tile and the broken token organizer. 60 bucks!

Bad picture but I got

Caverna
Warhammer Quest Silver Tower
Arcadia Quest Beyond the Grave
Time Stories xpac
Kemet Xpac
Inis
Legendary Encounters Firefly
Dungeon Saga Adventures Companion and another Campaign xpac

I am still unsure if this is a good or bad thing. Still have quite a bit to f credit left as well lol

Blizzard

Banned
I just learned today that Caverna had an infinite ore exploit. Uwe himself posted on BGG and there was a big discussion before it was fixed.

fenners

So couple BGG items:

-Who's going to BGG.Con?

Was going to, but sold my ticket a few weeks ago. Ridiculously few of my usual group here in Austin decided to go this year, so after chewing it up, it was far cheaper to stay in town & play with them on the weekend of the con than to travel up. Personal budget crunches make this the 'smarter' decision even if I'll miss going.

It's just getting too big, and the move downtown is going to make it even bigger - in our wider Austin BGG chit-chat meet-up group, there's a surprising number of folk skipping despite it being so close.

Ridiculously, I'll be traveling up to DFW on the Tuesday after the con for almost a week with family & friends, doh.

sasimirobot

went to a gaming cafe in Guangzhou, China. 7$US for all day gaming and tea. they had over 300 games and the owner gets sent free stuff like captain sonar from Chinese publishers to test out. we played some Taiwanese micro game that was pretty cool, I'm going to try to find it and post about later. good times and good to know the Chinese scene is healthy!

zulux21

so I have gotten two plays of red dragon inn battle for greyport in.

overall I haven't minded my time spent with it, but it feels off.

as a deck builder you don't do much in the way of building a deck as you only really go through your deck twice adding like 5 cards total to it in the intro adventure.

you would add like 9 in a full adventure going through 3 times. (you start with 9)

the major issue though is with how only the active defending player gets to refill their hand. it's in the spirit of red dragon in where you have to time your cards as you don't get more until it's your turn again... but in a co op setting it ends up just making you feel really really useless in a 5 player game most of the time.

We are going to try it some more, but we are thinking we are going to have to tweak the game a little bit and see how the balance goes as we feel both more card draw and card buying needs to happen to be more interesting. So we are likely going to introduce a rule to make it so every player draws a single card each turn, and the active player can discard and draw like normal.

and are thinking about perhaps allowing the doubling of buying cards where you buy one into your hand like normal, and another to your discard pile.

between the two you should cycle the deck more and see more cards and feel more useful, but we have to spend more time in general to see if that is a good idea.

we would likely need to increase the number of monsters as well to keep the balance, but as it... while not bad... it's a bit lacking to be truly engaging.

EYEL1NER

went to a gaming cafe in Guangzhou, China. 7$US for all day gaming and tea. they had over 300 games and the owner gets sent free stuff like captain sonar from Chinese publishers to test out. we played some Taiwanese micro game that was pretty cool, I'm going to try to find it and post about later. good times and good to know the Chinese scene is healthy!
Go back again and play Captain Sonar and let me know how you liked it!

mercviper

So couple BGG items:

-Who's going to BGG.Con? Going with a couple friends/co-workers this year (which I believe will be my 6th, though I skipped last year to go to FFG Worlds). Staying at Hyatt Place (I think the Grapevine one -- have to check) and getting in next Tuesday pretty early. If anyone wants to meet up for games pretty much have zero plans as usual, other than lots of open gaming. :p

I'll be there this year. Probably late tuesday afternoon. I'll text you when I get in.

Top Bottom