• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Neverfade

Guys...

Guys listen.

I have an ide

guys listen.

i have the best idea ever

guys

I'll put INIS

Guys

INIS

I'll put INIS
guys listen here

I'll put INIS.... on the best games of 2016 list.

Also we thoroughly trounced February Pandemic Legacy, successfully eradicating Flying Turbo Syphilis.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Guys...

Guys listen.

I have an ide

guys listen.

i have the best idea ever

guys

I'll put INIS

Guys

INIS

I'll put INIS
guys listen here

I'll put INIS.... on the best games of 2016 list.

Also we thoroughly trounced February Pandemic Legacy, successfully eradicating Flying Turbo Syphilis.

What sets Inis apart? Just got it today but no chance to play for like a week. I know the artwork is fantastic, though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sooo, Pax Porfiriana:

npax.jpg

Theme:
Pax Porfiriana is Latin for “The Porfirian Peace”. It refers to the 33-year reign of dictator Porfirio Díaz, ruling Mexico with an iron hand until toppled by the 1910 Revolution. As a rich businessman (Hacendado) in the turbulent pre-revolutionary borderlands of the U.S. and Mexico, compete to build business empires of ranches, mines, rails, troops, and banks while subverting your opponents with bandidos, Indians, and lawsuits. Win by toppling Díaz, either by coup, succession, revolution, or annexing Mexico to the U.S. If Díaz remains firmly seated at the end of the game, then the player with the most gold is the winner.
The theme is very deep in these games, not only because many cards have very detailed descriptions about the historical background:
pax-medium.jpg

One of the aspects that impressed me the most is how ingrained the theme is in the game mechanics. One example: You play an event card, which states that US and German ships encountered each other, the tension seems to be rising and world may be on the brink of war. Due to this event, the US intervention regime may end, all US troops are pulled back from mexico (actively removing all us troops from your hand or your play area), but on the flip side, you'll earn some money for taking back control of your own mines, now that the US has less influence over your territory.

The game is incredibly smartly designed in that regard, really showing how gameplay can intelligently reinforce a theme instead of only being tacked on.

How to play:
Just to give you a quick impression of the gameplay loop (which is far from showing the tactical complexity of the game, but more on that later):
1. In your turn you have 3 actions
2. The most common use of those actions is to
  • buy a card from the market (costs range from 0 to 16 depending on the position of the card)
  • play card from your hand
  • sell card
3. With the cards you play, you aim to increase your wealth, decrease the income of other players and gain influence points for the goal of the game.
4. However, there are more interesting possibilities (bet on market cards, improve your enterprises, buy connection upgrades, remove unrest, send troops to extort businesses from other players...) and even the play card action is highly dependant on circumstances, which makes this game so fascinating to play. No card is truly ever the best choice and there are many variables, that will have you ponder your choices each and every turn.​

This is also the part that fascinates me the most, as I think Pax Porfiriana is pretty much the best example of this that I ever played. Take a look at this troop card:
pic1471731.jpg

Those cards are among the most straight forward cards in the game. You see the strength of the card (firepower from 1-3), the jurisdiction (aka the region it can be played in / which other cards it can affect), an additional effect (you reinforce security with federal troops, so you are strengthening the Pax Porfiriana/dictator regime) and the costs for deploying troops via train, horse or by foot.

Since there are troops with firepower 3, it will always be a good choice to go for higher strength value, right? Big noooope, as we now get to the best part. Lets break down how a single game decision works:
1. Market Price
First of all you need to buy the card from the market, which means that you can either get it for free, or pay 2 to 16 gold depending on the market position of the card. New cards enter the market at the most expensive end and if no one buys it, they get cheaper over time. Sometimes you might not have enough money to go for the higher card, but often you wouldnt even want to go for the more expensive card, as you can use that left over money for many actions.
2. Speculation Cubes
One of the cards you want to buy might have a speculation cube from another player on it, meaning he will get the money you spend on this card. Do you really want to give another player 8 gold for the card you need, or do you take your chance to wait if it gets cheaper until next round and buy the other card that nobody earns money for in the meantime?
3. Jurisdiction
There are 3 jurisdictions/regions in the game. Usually, troops can only be deployed to an enterprise that is located in the same jurisdiction, meaning that the troop card shown above can only be played on a Sonoran enterprise. If you want to attack on opponent in another jurisdiction or need to defend yourself somewhere else, this card, would not be very useful to you at the moment.
Side note: You could also change the regime to anarchy with a different card, which might allow you to redeploy the troops anywhere.
4. Costs to play/redeploy
Other cards have static costs to play from your hand, while troops always cost a certain amount depending on the mode of travel. This is restricted by the enterprise they want to travel to. Some troops have horrendously high costs for train travels, while others are more expensive on foot. Even if a card has great firepower and fits the jurisdiction, you might still end up with high movement costs, making a card a lot less versatile.
5. Bonus effect
A bonus effect might change the regime and ooooh boy is that important. A regime decides on how much money you make, which jurisdictions might be available to you and which goal might be needed to win the game. So what to do if you earn more money in a US intervention, because your economy is more focussed on gold mines (which gets a boost), while the US troops of another player might get better access to your businesses, allowing them to extort you much easier. Will you play the troop card, changing the regime?
5. Firepower
If alllll of the above aspects were equal, the higher firepower would be better, but its almost impossible to have an absolute equal decision between 2 cards in this game, mostly because... there is not a single duplicated card. Every card is different, which means every turn will present you with interesting decisions, dangers and opportunities.​

You can find a more elaborate description of cards, effects and rules in this overview:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882396/guided-tour-revolutionary-mexico

It is one of the most tactically complex engine building games I have ever played, and its wonderful. The card design really seems messy at first, but I got used to it after a few rounds. Also bonus: It plays with up to 6 players (which is actually quite interesting, as you can actively influence your opponents enterprises (you can even make money from providing train connections to an opponents business) and victory conditions) and goes by relatively quickly, considering how complex those decisions can get. A 2 player match might end in about 60-90 minutes, 4 player took us around 3 hours.

There are some other Pax games, but I havent played those yet. These games are very, very smartly designed and if you like diverse situations, on the spot thinking and more complex tactical decisions, I highly recommend looking into these games. These games pack a whole lot of game and complexity into a very, very small box. Also PSA: Those games get stupidly expensive once they are sold out (~200$), so if you are interested and see a copy for 40-50$, grab it sooner rather than later.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Apparently Lantern Festival for KD:M has been cancelled. Poots is refunding everyone who backed that aspect of the KS, too. That's awesome of him.

emag

The graphic design on those cards is...um...challenging. It looks like an example of looks cool but would annoy me during a game.

And Pax Por is actually the most aesthetically pleasing game in the series. The newest, Pax Ren, looks worse than a middle manager's first PowerPoint 2000 presentation.

The graphic design on those cards is...um...challenging. It looks like an example of looks cool but would annoy me during a game.
Yeah, the graphic design looks like it was done by a mad man and the biggest hurdle for me to get it to the table. It's kind of like Glory to Rome in that it looks like hell, but it works so well for the game. Once you understand how the game works the card design helps you quickly reference what the card actually does. It's not that difficult of a game to understand either, it just looks like it.

Karkador

Banned
Im a graphic designer. When I first saw it, Pax Porfiriana's graphic design made me say "wtf". I couldn't get over how this was professional, published work being sold. It looked like a .edu website remixed in a nightmare.

Then I learned a bit about how those games are made, how the creator is pretty much an academic who also does the graphic design. Okay, that explains some things. I thought, "I should redesign this game to look better, because it otherwise sounds fantastic".

Then I played the game, and I almost hate to admit this....but the visuals work. It's some weird shit, but I can't deny that it all actually functions. Not only that, but it lends a very interesting aesthetic to the world of the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Was going to, but sold my ticket a few weeks ago. Ridiculously few of my usual group here in Austin decided to go this year, so after chewing it up, it was far cheaper to stay in town & play with them on the weekend of the con than to travel up. Personal budget crunches make this the 'smarter' decision even if I'll miss going.

It's just getting too big, and the move downtown is going to make it even bigger - in our wider Austin BGG chit-chat meet-up group, there's a surprising number of folk skipping despite it being so close.

Ridiculously, I'll be traveling up to DFW on the Tuesday after the con for almost a week with family & friends, doh.

Bummer! (Though we've never quite been able to sync up in years past ;P). Yeah I imagine it will be something of an interesting crowd this year what with the show selling out so fast. I do have some good hope though based on the positive feedback from last year's Con.

I'll be there this year. Probably late tuesday afternoon. I'll text you when I get in.

Sweet! Are you staying at the main hotel or offsite?

Fuck Abhoth and their children. :mad: Currently fighting them in a game of Elder Sign. Also realizing that the cursed/blessed mechanic is more fiddly than it needs to be.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played another session of Pax Porfiriana since I posted the blurb above. Outstanding game. Today I was mostly marvelling at how snappy, reactive and quick it is again for a game with such complex tactical decisions.
Oh and also, forgot to mention it earlier, but its one of the best Singleplayer board game variants I have come across so far. So glad I jumped on it, despite my initial bad impressions of the card design.

Phil Eklund is on track to be the second board game designer, from whom I will buy any game from next to Vlaada Chvatil.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I played it twice and it wasn't that compelling. Also, the dry erase pens it comes with are garbage.

Haha...dry erase in all games that have it seem to be absolute sub-disposable garbage. I need to just buy some good ones and keep them but there aren't that many games I have that use them (mostly my various versions of Wits & Wagers, which I haven't played in forever anyway though it's perfectly OK as trivia games go).

Captain Sonar always seemed to me to be one of those games that plays very well to board-game reviewers and the Con atmosphere and not much else. Based on impressions from people and reviewers I trust (SU&SD liked it, but I could tell their reasons for liking it wouldn't apply to me), I'll be staying away in terms of buying it but I'll certainly give it a shot if the opportunity arises as BGG.Con or something...maybe. I actually find team games kinda stressful in a Con atmosphere because you feel like you're letting people you barely even know down, whereas in vs. or full co-up you don't really have that issue. So maybe not. :p

I picked up 7 Wonders: Duel Pantheon expansion and Catan Jr. at our FLGS today. Excited for the former just for a little extra in a game we already love, and we read the rules of the latter and it really does seem to pull off streamlined Catan for kids so that's exciting. Was tempted by a ton include the aforementioned Inis and Lanterns which I've been enjoying on the app but was able to hold off on those for now. :p (Inis looks amazing but is just one I probably won't too often find the right group for.)

Oh I also FINALLY got in my KS'd Tokaido Collector's Edition. It's quite a nice package but I dunno if it was worth all the wait. :p

Experien

Got my turtles mostly painted, doubt I'll paint all the minis but just having the turtles and maybe eventually the bad guy leaders will give the game more life.

Is there a good star wars board game for mostly 2p, ideally cooperative but open to competitive?

If you are willing to adjust your standards of "board game," they are about to release an Armada campaign. Don't know if it is competitive or co-op though. Outside of the maybe Imperial Assault app, I don't think there is anything co-op that isn't an RPG.

mercviper

Haha...dry erase in all games that have it seem to be absolute sub-disposable garbage. I need to just buy some good ones and keep them but there aren't that many games I have that use them (mostly my various versions of Wits & Wagers, which I haven't played in forever anyway though it's perfectly OK as trivia games go).

Captain Sonar always seemed to me to be one of those games that plays very well to board-game reviewers and the Con atmosphere and not much else. Based on impressions from people and reviewers I trust (SU&SD liked it, but I could tell their reasons for liking it wouldn't apply to me), I'll be staying away in terms of buying it but I'll certainly give it a shot if the opportunity arises as BGG.Con or something...maybe. I actually find team games kinda stressful in a Con atmosphere because you feel like you're letting people you barely even know down, whereas in vs. or full co-up you don't really have that issue. So maybe not. :p

I picked up 7 Wonders: Duel Pantheon expansion and Catan Jr. at our FLGS today. Excited for the former just for a little extra in a game we already love, and we read the rules of the latter and it really does seem to pull off streamlined Catan for kids so that's exciting. Was tempted by a ton include the aforementioned Inis and Lanterns which I've been enjoying on the app but was able to hold off on those for now. :p (Inis looks amazing but is just one I probably won't too often find the right group for.)

Oh I also FINALLY got in my KS'd Tokaido Collector's Edition. It's quite a nice package but I dunno if it was worth all the wait. :p

re: Dry erase pens. I learned from some teachers that you have to store them upside down to keep them from drying out. The way they lay flat if you leave them in the box dries up the tip of the marker so no ink can get out or something. I've taken to storing all my markers outside of the box because of this.

I played it twice and it wasn't that compelling. Also, the dry erase pens it comes with are garbage.

I've had a lot of fun playing the game myself. The first time I played was just 1v1, which of course makes it turn-based. I find that becomes a pretty interesting head to head contest. The second was at a larger quarterly gathering my group holds so we had a full complement of 8 people. Very intense, chaotic games ensued and everyone had a great time. And then again with friends of a friend where we had only 6, and all were pretty new to board gaming and they enjoyed it.

I definitely don't think I can play more than two or three games of it in a row, but I've had a blast playing it, and so have many others I've played with. I've yet to play Inis or Great Western Trail, but Captain Sonar is for sure in the top five games published this year for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Let me know what you think of the Pantheon expansion. I'm probably buying it as a Christmas present.

Chris R

Played 5 games of Pandemic today... We suck or this game is tough. We've come close to winning, but just run out of time when the player cards are all gone. Never overrun with epidemics or outbreaks, and often ended with 3 or 4 diseases eradicated, but never won.

Going to play probably 5 more before we start the Legacy stuff.

Played 5 games of Pandemic today... We suck or this game is tough. We've come close to winning, but just run out of time when the player cards are all gone. Never overrun with epidemics or outbreaks, and often ended with 3 or 4 diseases eradicated, but never won.

Going to play probably 5 more before we start the Legacy stuff.
You win when you've cured the fourth disease.

zulux21

We know.

I'm thinking we probably focused too much on eradicating and not on just rushing for cures. Card luck seemed bad a few games too with nobody with more than 2 cards of any color after 3 or 4 turns

aren't there only 4 diseases? are you playing with an expansion?

either way in a normal game of pandemic you maybe eradicate 1 disease, if you are managing to do 3 of them you need to spend less time on that for sure.

most games you sadly have to line up a ton of trades in order to make the cures, that is likely what you need to be doing instead of eradicating.

EYEL1NER

We know.

I'm thinking we probably focused too much on eradicating and not on just rushing for cures. Card luck seemed bad a few games too with nobody with more than 2 cards of any color after 3 or 4 turns
At least you know that you don't need to eradicate a disease to cure it. I've seen many people on BGG who, after making comments about the game's difficulty being too high, say "There is no way to remove all of the diseases from the board, they pile up so fast! We've never won after playing a dozen games!!!" And then when someone says they need need to do that to cure a disease, they'll respond "Oh.... Well that makes the game a LOT easier!"

I've had a few good games where we were able to eradicate multiple diseases fairly early and move at a relatively leisurely pace towards the remaining cures after that, but for the most part we are rushing for cures and hoping that temporarily ignoring a cured color in a far-off part of the world doesn't bite us in the ass.

We know.

Oh yeah you have to balance finding cures and eradicating. Too much eradicating and you run out of cards. Too little and you risk outbreaks. Part of why the game is so much fun!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I rarely ever go for eradicating -- it's more happenstance than any sort of strategic objectives ("well, if you just burn three actions we could just eradicate this thing...") but I don't claim to be a Pandemic expert even though I've played the game probably ~100 times. :p

mercviper

We know.

Eradicating is a trap. I don't even teach that rule anymore. The problem is the reward sounds great, which it is, but typically the amount of resources and turns spent to do so will cause you to lose the game.

Phthisis

And Pax Por is actually the most aesthetically pleasing game in the series. The newest, Pax Ren, looks worse than a middle manager's first PowerPoint 2000 presentation.

Pax Pamir is actually really good, a lot cleaner. Haven't played Porfir yet, but Pamir is an amazing game.

Toma

Pax Pamir is actually really good, a lot cleaner. Haven't played Porfir yet, but Pamir is an amazing game.

Really looking forward to checking out the differences between the Pax games, but I will definitely bring Porfiriana a few more times to the table until all are relatively sure in their handling of the base mechanics and decision processes.

Different topic, did anyone play Imperial 2030?
I am really intrigued, but it looks rather.. bland. How does the nation financing mechanic make the game inherently more interesting? Can you invest in coutries led by other players?

Toma

Also, I havent gushed about it here yet, but Maria is easily the biggest surprise I played in the past few years and rocketed into my top 3 of favourite boardgames. Might do a write up after I had my next session:
hcs_20111002_2977.jpg

Its not a typical wargame with dozens of units, and focusses more on managing the maneuvering of 3-5 units.

I also noticed that I really seem to like Wargames that are not quite typical wargames, like Twilight Struggle, Wir sind das Volk and Maria. Any other similar recommendations with unique takes on the wargame genre?

Protome

So jealous of you guys who have Inis. My pre order just got cancelled, apparently they reduced to amount of stock they're sending to the UK.

emag

Different topic, did anyone play Imperial 2030?
I am really intrigued, but it looks rather.. bland. How does the nation financing mechanic make the game inherently more interesting? Can you invest in coutries led by other players?

Imperial is possibly my favorite board game. 2030's up there, too.

The entire game revolves around the emergent alliances that come from investments, with zero randomness beyond seating order. Thematically it's super-cynical and Machiavellian, as you'll invest in a nation just to bleed it dry or take control just to direct its attention away from your other investments. Sometimes you'll have to destroy nations you're invested in just because someone else would have greater gains. You'll even have your allied forces kamikaze each other to drive down maintenance costs. You can also skip paying out dividends to investors when you see that they're low on cash to block them out of the market. On the other hand, your own limited cash reserves might make you loathe to make a nation you control too attractive to prevent being bought out (or maybe you put lipstick on that pig so that you can get some investors on your side). It's all so manipulative and so good.

2030 unfortunately makes a few changes for a friendlier, softer game. The map has far more neutral territories, ripe for the taking, and is much more open, allowing for China and Russia to easily invade North and South America (in base Imperial, there's no way Russia could get into western Europe or Africa without co-control). There are new investor rules to prohibit withholding dividends in certain cases and to give consolation prizes to players who are bought out early in the game. The end game is also slowed down, perhaps to make losing players feel less helpless. Some of these changes (investor rules) have also been backported to newer printings/editions of classic Imperial as well, but the map and end game speed remain key distinctions. That said, the theme of 2030 (near-future world conflict) might be more enticing than that of classic (WW I Europe) to certain players, and the scoring mechanism in 2030 is clearer/better (scoring/income is based on current empire size only, whereas in classic it's based on the growth in empire size from the previous scoring/income).

If you have another other questions, feel free to ask. I love Imperial.

Karkador

Banned
I also noticed that I really seem to like Wargames that are not quite typical wargames, like Twilight Struggle, Wir sind das Volk and Maria. Any other similar recommendations with unique takes on the wargame genre?

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony, which is interesting in how finely tuned it is, and the way it frames a wargame as a gamble of resources and human lives. The goal of the game is solely to grow your populations in your cities, but you can't have an army (and thus cant gather the VERY scarce resources to grow cities) unless you turn those people into soldiers.

Imperial is also a great game for how it subverts the genre. It may look like a very basic "Risk" game on the surface, but the real game is investing in different countries. You can control one country and hope it's the most profitable...or own several, and try to orchestrate situations between them that will pay the best dividends. You could even control 0 countries (essentially not playing the wargame part at all) and focus all your money on placing the best bets. The variety of situations and speculations this game created is VERY interesting, while remaining quite simple to learn.

Toma

Imperial is possibly my favorite board game. 2030's up there, too.

The entire game revolves around the emergent alliances that come from investments, with zero randomness beyond seating order. Thematically it's super-cynical and Machiavellian, as you'll invest in a nation just to bleed it dry or take control just to direct its attention away from your other investments. Sometimes you'll have to destroy nations you're invested in just because someone else would have greater gains. You'll even have your allied forces kamikaze each other to drive down maintenance costs. You can also skip paying out dividends to investors when you see that they're low on cash to block them out of the market. On the other hand, your own limited cash reserves might make you loathe to make a nation you control too attractive to prevent being bought out (or maybe you put lipstick on that pig so that you can get some investors on your side). It's all so manipulative and so good.

2030 unfortunately makes a few changes for a friendlier, softer game. The map has far more neutral territories, ripe for the taking, and is much more open, allowing for China and Russia to easily invade North and South America (in base Imperial, there's no way Russia could get into western Europe or Africa without co-control). There are new investor rules to prohibit withholding dividends in certain cases and to give consolation prizes to players who are bought out early in the game. The end game is also slowed down, perhaps to make losing players feel less helpless. Some of these changes (investor rules) have also been backported to newer printings/editions of classic Imperial as well, but the map and end game speed remain key distinctions. That said, the theme of 2030 (near-future world conflict) might be more enticing than that of classic (WW I Europe) to certain players, and the scoring mechanism in 2030 is clearer/better (scoring/income is based on current empire size only, whereas in classic it's based on the growth in empire size from the previous scoring/income).

If you have another other questions, feel free to ask. I love Imperial.

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony, which is interesting in how finely tuned it is, and the way it frames a wargame as a gamble of resources and human lives. The goal of the game is solely to grow your populations in your cities, but you can't have an army (and thus cant gather the VERY scarce resources to grow cities) unless you turn those people into soldiers.

Imperial is also a great game for how it subverts the genre. It may look like a very basic "Risk" game on the surface, but the real game is investing in different countries. You can control one country and hope it's the most profitable...or own several, and try to orchestrate situations between them that will pay the best dividends. You could even control 0 countries (essentially not playing the wargame part at all) and focus all your money on placing the best bets. The variety of situations and speculations this game created is VERY interesting, while remaining quite simple to learn.

Sounds I might need to bite on Imperial 2030 pretty soon then. Polis looks super neat as well, but seems to be going for 80€+ atm.

I had a nice gaming weekend start by checking out a new MeetUp. It was nice busy group (40-50) people. The problem is some of the people in this group really need to think about showering before coming to play game in a tightly close space. I got there kind of late and jump into game of Lords of Waterdeep. It had been a long time since I got this game to the table with my group. I still like it but having playing so much on iPad app the game did loose some appeal not to mention I am now expose to more game of this type.

5FcvV8sl.jpg

At the café meetup, the group was also relatively bigger than usual (probably because of all the rains we have been getting up here in the northwest). There were three groups, a game of Orleans was already underway, a guy was starting a game of Legendary Encounters and another one was setting up for Pandemic Cthulu. I wanted to see how Legendary play with 4 people (I usually play solo or two) and it definitely a lot harder with 4 people, the aliens moved a lot faster and well we all died during the final stage. I was sad that no one got turn into the Alien from the Facehugger. The group then ask to play Terraforming Mars again (a big hit with this group, not surprising most of them are all in science field). It was another great game despite the fact that I came in dead last (way behind) and could never got any sort of engines going. It was still really fun and the top two players were again just a few points apart. We ended the day with light but chaotic game of Colt Express.

Y78Y37zl.jpg

On Sunday, I went to Guardian but it was very pack with people. I was glad to see the two guys that I like playing with there. We all agree to go down the block to the pub, but not before I pick up a copy of Inis I have to say unfortunately the price control by Asmodee is working since I now could pick up a copy locally when they are on sale cheaper than buying them on-line ($54). (Guardian offer 20% off on most board games during meetup). Dam you guys bunch of enabler, I was going to cut down on board game purchase (no room left on my shelf or closet and wife already complaining about games all over the living room and dining room). We didn't want to break out the Inis just yet since it only play 4 and we had 5 in our group today and settle on a game I never heard of, Hansa Teutonica. I have to say it was a lot of fun if it was a bit daunting for me who is the only new player to this game. We ended the afternoon with a game of Power Grid. I always suck at learning how to manage the last stage and the phase 2 went by so quickly that I was caught off guard. We played on Spain map and it was a nice change of pace. All in all it was a great weekend. A guy in a group wants to start a board game tournament where we compete competitively, hopefully he can get it off the ground. It is already hard to play regularly for board gamers so we will see.

s2H7lXyl.jpg

Tgwv0kbl.jpg

This game has one of the least appealing box cover ever, but it was pretty fun.

J0N5ci2l.jpg

One of the guys in the group made this cool stand for Power Grid auction board.

One of the guys in the group made this cool stand for Power Grid auction board.

If you ever get your own copy and want this too, I can link you the BGG where it's made (I have one too).

Looks like you played a very solid selection of games. The only one you didn't seem super hyped on, I want to tell you is excellent is Hansa Teutonica. No luck, player-deterministic, engine building game where you always need to pay attention to others to win. It's a solid favorite among my group

Phthisis

Also, I havent gushed about it here yet, but Maria is easily the biggest surprise I played in the past few years and rocketed into my top 3 of favourite boardgames. Might do a write up after I had my next session:
hcs_20111002_2977.jpg

Its not a typical wargame with dozens of units, and focusses more on managing the maneuvering of 3-5 units.

Really want to play this. Was at a con in Vancouver over the weekend and saw this being played.

I second the Polis suggestion; great Euro/wargame hybrid.

Have you also considered Friedrich (the sequel to Maria)? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12891/friedrich

Toma

Have you also considered Friedrich (the sequel to Maria)? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12891/friedrich

Friedrich is the prequel, but most reports I read state that its mechanically relatively similar, while Maria is more complex, has a better overall rating and from what I read seems to be better balanced. Since I am basically "collecting" board games now, I will probably pick it up at one point, but I am not in a hurry, as Maria seems to be all around better (unless I wanted to play with 3 people, which is not possible with Maria).

But yeah, I am actively looking for similar games like this, as the games I played so far really had their hooks in me.

zulux21

Assuming they work the same as the ios versions, that is an amazing bundle.

in general the versions play the same. it's just that android allows side loading so they can bundle up drm free versions while ios doesn't and they can't get free codes for games from the developers like they can for steam games.

Top Bottom