• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

If you ever get your own copy and want this too, I can link you the BGG where it's made (I have one too).

Looks like you played a very solid selection of games. The only one you didn't seem super hyped on, I want to tell you is excellent is Hansa Teutonica. No luck, player-deterministic, engine building game where you always need to pay attention to others to win. It's a solid favorite among my group
Oh I love it and would definitely play it again. I was just overwhelmed being the only new guy to this game at the table and there were so many options. I enjoyed games where there are lot of pathway to victory. I was just expressing that it's quite a confrontational game for Euro.

zeeaykay

Got a good assortment of games for my birthday (I dropped very strong hints that I always appreciate a new game): Mage Knight, Raptor, Bang!, and Junk Art. So far I've only played Junk Art with my family but we definitely had a good time. I didn't realize how difficult it would be trying to lightly place and balance these pieces, I'm looking forward to trying all the game types.

I'm super excited to play Mage Knight, but even though I've watched Ricky Royals' video I still felt so overwhelmed looking at the rule book. A whole page of small text on just movement?! I'm sure the best way to learn is by playing so hopefully I'll be able to stake out 3 or 4 hours soon and really dig in. Any tips on for a first play?

PS I also started creating a wishlist so my GF would have a decent idea of what to pick out. Oh man, this is a slippery slope. I already have way too many games on there, I can imagine that once you're aware of what you want any time there's a sale it's much easier to bite on something if you rationalize. "Oh, I was going to get it eventually, this way I'll save money!"

Got a good assortment of games for my birthday (I dropped very strong hints that I always appreciate a new game): Mage Knight, Raptor, Bang!, and Junk Art. So far I've only played Junk Art with my family but we definitely had a good time. I didn't realize how difficult it would be trying to lightly place and balance these pieces, I'm looking forward to trying all the game types.

I'm super excited to play Mage Knight, but even though I've watched Ricky Royals' video I still felt so overwhelmed looking at the rule book. A whole page of small text on just movement?! I'm sure the best way to learn is by playing so hopefully I'll be able to stake out 3 or 4 hours soon and really dig in. Any tips on for a first play?

PS I also started creating a wishlist so my GF would have a decent idea of what to pick out. Oh man, this is a slippery slope. I already have way too many games on there, I can imagine that once you're aware of what you want any time there's a sale it's much easier to bite on something if you rationalize. "Oh, I was going to get it eventually, this way I'll save money!"

Just started playing my copy of Mage Knight last night after a year or two. Played it once or twice when I bought it so I had to learn the rules again. My game last night was more of a practice to setup the game and I had to stop after the first round since it was almost midnight.

I, too, would love to hear some tips or early game strategies.

Protome

My Inis preorder was refunded so I used the money to preorder a copy of Scythe from the next print run (apparently copies are due mid/end November.)

Here's hoping that one shows up.

So is the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness good for someone new gaming? I'm trying to introduce my girlfriend to games and she wants to try more thematic stuff. I feel like getting her into Euros like I am might be a little hard but Zombicide won't for her. I want MoM anyway but I hear it's good for newer players and wanted some input. Also some easier thematic stuff recommendations are welcome. I have these already

Dead of Winter
Zombicide
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Eldritch Horror
Blood Rage

Oh I love it and would definitely play it again. I was just overwhelmed being the only new guy to this game at the table and there were so many options. I enjoyed games where there are lot of pathway to victory. I was just expressing that it's quite a confrontational game for Euro.

Cool. You discussing it made me put it back in rotation for game night. I'm bringing expansion map #1, which is super weird.

Grabbed the Black Plague NPC 2 box from my FLGS. I'm well on my way to having my entire painted zombie horde (though I haven't started on the heroes yet).

So far, I've only managed to get two test models done out of the new batch:

CwxbGoBVQAEbT-p_zpsrilsgw4d.jpg
CwxbGoCUUAAWjz5_zpslje1siw5.jpg

CwxbGoBUcAEQW2E_zpshz0ahddr.jpg
CwxbGoCUkAAsOAI_zpsaxtznld7.jpg

Spookie

So is the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness good for someone new gaming? I'm trying to introduce my girlfriend to games and she wants to try more thematic stuff. I feel like getting her into Euros like I am might be a little hard but Zombicide won't for her. I want MoM anyway but I hear it's good for newer players and wanted some input. Also some easier thematic stuff recommendations are welcome. I have these already

Dead of Winter
Zombicide
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Eldritch Horror
Blood Rage

If you like Blood Rage, Arcadia Quest & Imperial Assault has always been a huge hit at my house. You can also get Fury of Dracula/Letters From Whitechapel if you'd like to try a hidden movement game.

Experien

This popped up on my Facebook feed...

Game Anywhere Table Kickstarter

Has anyone heard of this before? It looks kind of cool?

It was posted a few days ago, people were generally worried about stability and if the legs would fall over. I'm worried about that and how awkward it would be to throw another person or two on the ends since I also play 5 and 6 player games.

And what about modular games where those pieces of wood that separate player areas don't come up? Sure, our areas are "a mess" but at least they can be moved to accomodate stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It was posted a few days ago, people were generally worried about stability and if the legs would fall over. I'm worried about that and how awkward it would be to throw another person or two on the ends since I also play 5 and 6 player games.

And what about modular games where those pieces of wood that separate player areas don't come up? Sure, our areas are "a mess" but at least they can be moved to accomodate stuff.

Good info. I have a table that works since I mostly solo game, and we have a nice kitchen table for the rare occasion of group gaming. Conceptually, this table is nice. But if it has legit stability concerns, that's sort of a terrible thing for a gaming table!

Nezumi

Finally caved and ordered Potion Explosion. It just looks so damn pretty and unique and it has marbles!
Also ordered Junk Art. Reading up on board games to distract myself from the election is definitely taking a toll on my finances...

Neverfade

I also need a little retail therapy. Eyeballing Scythe. Having a hard time finding past impressions here on mobile. Someone talk me into it.

JSR_Cube

Nice paint job on the minis.

I got my Inis yesterday. I can't bring myself to play it until I get some sleeves though. Those cards are beautiful but I just don't want them getting wrecked.

Feudum KS starts tomorrow. I will probably be in for the $79 pledge.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I also need a little retail therapy. Eyeballing Scythe. Having a hard time finding past impressions here on mobile. Someone talk me into it.

It will be among the best looking games you have
Turns are fast, even when learning
Has an AI you can insert in games
Fun engine builder with mechanics that really fit together
Amazing components
Seems to be very replayable. I have played a dozen or so games.
It has achievments!

JSR_Cube

I was disappointed by Scythe. I don't think it is a great area control game and I think there are better engine builders too. We haven't played it much sunce our first plays and nobody in my group is screaming to play it. It is a shame because the production values are great. All this great art but the game doesn't have much of a soul to me.

I got my Inis yesterday. I can't bring myself to play it until I get some sleeves though. Those cards are beautiful but I just don't want them getting wrecked.

What are you doing for sleeves? I am a sleever for life, but if these don't fit in a standard tcg or fantasy flight size (I don't think these do?) I'm lost as to where to buy.

I love Eclipse... :(

I really enjoyed my one play of Scythe, and actually compared it to Eclipse in how the combat isn't the focus.

I like Eclipse, it just seems very similar. Ton of hype, everyone rushing to buy it, similar sounding style of game play, and then suddenly it just kinda.... died off in peoples minds.

fenners

I think seafall has helped it avoid that fate.

LOL I've enjoyed my first two games of Seafall too, though we went in with near zero expectations after the early reviews, which likely helped us. Not convinced there's enough meat in it for ten or so games, but it's early...

I like Eclipse, it just seems very similar. Ton of hype, everyone rushing to buy it, similar sounding style of game play, and then suddenly it just kinda.... died off in peoples minds.

It still get play constantly at my local MeetUp , thing is there are so many new games coming out after Essen so focus get put on the new stuffs. If the game is good people will go back to play it.

What are some great games that go for $30 or less? The closer to 30, the better.
I'm participating in a secret santa and that's the limit, and I really want a new board game :).

EYEL1NER

What are some great games that go for $30 or less? The closer to 30, the better.
I'm participating in a secret santa and that's the limit, and I really want a new board game :).
Splendor? First thing that came to my mind that is around that price range ($29.99 MSRP). It is also a great game.
It would help to know what you have or like though. Do you have your collection logged on BGG by chance?

Splendor? First thing that came to my mind that is around that price range ($29.99 MSRP). It is also a great game.
It would help to know what you have or like though. Do you have your collection logged on BGG by chance?
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Shadow_FFVI

My collection. Some that I was interested in were King of Tokyo, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, and less so Elder Sign (heard mixed opinions). I also added Potion Explosion to my wish list even though its slightly more expensive, just for the slight chance my secret santa feels extra generous.

I wanted help to see if there were any less obvious games I'm overlooking that people cam vouch for.

EYEL1NER

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Shadow_FFVI

My collection. Some that I was interested in were King of Tokyo, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, and less so Elder Sign (heard mixed opinions). I also added Potion Explosion to my wish list even though its slightly more expensive, just for the slight chance my secret santa feels extra generous.

I wanted help to see if there were any less obvious games I'm overlooking that people cam vouch for.
That helps a bit. Since you don't have it but want it, King of Tokyo is an extremely fun game and would be a good one to get. I'm not sure what negatives you heard about Elder Sign but it is also a good one. I see you own the DC Deckbuilding Game; if you like it, you could go with another one of the base sets or maybe the Street Fighter Deckbuilding Game (which uses the same exact Cerberus engine and plays the same).
Potion Explosion would be aces to receive though.

For a smaller game, but not quite a filler, I adore Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King. It's a tile-laying game similar to Carcassone, but I prefer it much more. It's got different scoring goals every round, and every game, as well as a really great player-driven economy as you draw tiles, choosing one to put back in the bag, and pricing out the others. It's like Castles of Mad King Ludwig in that regard.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I still love Eclipse. Usually get a game if it in every couple months with my buddies. This weekend we are having a getaway of basically board gaming and drinking and we will have a 5 player Eclipse game. Can't wait.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So who has played Mansions of Madness 2nd ed Cycle of Madness scenario? We got to the end and it was literally impossible for us to win. All of us had 3 lore, and we rolled the max of 3 lore and it didn't complete? Seems..... odd.

edit: nvm found out

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Wir sind das Volk, Tash-Kalar or Witness maybe? All definitely recommended.

Blizzard

Banned
So who has played Mansions of Madness 2nd ed Cycle of Madness scenario? We got to the end and it was literally impossible for us to win. All of us had 3 lore, and we rolled the max of 3 lore and it didn't complete? Seems..... odd.

edit: nvm found out
What did you find out was the issue?

Experien

TMNT, does it require a REALLY good turtle team or does the villain have to pull some punches? The Turtles got rolled in my match against Old Hob.

Top Bottom