• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Draxal

What's neat is the Star Destroyer shown in Armada is the Victory II, so we will be seeing larger scale Star Destroyer no doubt..... and you know this means a large SSD mini!

Is that official MSRP from FFG or placeholder from Distributors? That's pretty high, similar to other big box starters for other miniature games really, but you typically get lot more plastic out of those. Unless the pictures are misleading and these components are bigger than what we think, but the two card sizes shown I think make it clear the sizes. The description on their site though says 10 squadrons of fighters yet picture shows only 4. If the box contains more fighter stands then they should update it as lot of people are going to cry foul about the pricing.

I can only assume they aren't showing the other 6 squadrons of fighter minis because they want to highlight the larger capital ships instead of making the game look like nothing but swarms of fighters.

The one pic on the website shows the star destroyer with six squads of tie fighters so I don't think it is a mistake.

The one pic on the website shows the star destroyer with six squads of tie fighters so I don't think it is a mistake.

Guess it would mean 6 tie squads and 4 x-wing squads then? Makes sense with ship composition of the starter. They have lot more release potential with this since they got smaller ships to also sell now too, all the fighters in now squadrons, along with cap ships and medium ships. $$$$$

Xater

Release date for the game and the app is this Wednesday. I'll be sure to give some impressions.

As for the armada price: it's what's listed on the ffg website when you click on "products" that's usually msrp. I wonder if this will be a surprise release at gen con.

Great. I am very curious about the game because the people that are involved with it. It's also an expensive game but I am willing to give it a shot because of the digital component. The digital part might make it easier to get people into it. I'd handle it more than a board game though. Get just the board game and then maybe just one of each expansion. I wonder though if this will be available outside of the US.

Great. I am very curious about the game because the people that are involved with it. It's also an expensive game but I am willing to give it a shot because of the digital component. The digital part might make it easier to get people into it. I'd handle it more than a board game though. Get just the board game and then maybe just one of each expansion. I wonder though if this will be available outside of the US.

Distribution within the US is being handled by Amazon, but I imagine they want it will also be available in Europe at the very least. Price wise it's definitely a miniatures game but coming from Heroclix it seems more reasonable to me than that has become.

I found a great way to paint the Zombicide zombie miniatures.

Regular, Berserker, & Toxic flavors.

9AtUnet.jpg

ef6GHlw.jpg

sKEsHNO.jpg

JRL6clx.jpg

Here is the blog with color and painting guide. I'll add my own spin on the colors, but this is so close to what I had envisioned for my zombies it's scary. I was immediately impressed with it's simple approach and amazing results. Add some blood, and these are 10/10 gaming minis!

http://carmensminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/2013/12/zombicide-zombie-painting.html#comment-form

Piano

Banned
Debating the following purchases:

Flash Point: Fire Rescue Extreme Danger (already own Flashpoint, sort of want new twists / maps)
Pandemic
Pandemic: On the Brink

I already own Pandemic & On the Brink... the old versions. I want to upgrade for compatibility with In The Lab and because apparently everything fits in the new OTB box so I don't have to carry around two boxes. Even though I slightly prefer the original art style.

I freaking love Agricola but I don't see why on earth I'd ever need an expansion. It's got an insane amount of content as is - haven't even used all of the cards yet!

If anyone is looking for a good, quick playing family game, you'd do well to check out Heifer Heist.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855392870/heifer-heist

I actually judged a bunch of boards games in a contest that this was in, and it was at the top of my rankings. Really good humor, easy to understand rules, and as I mentioned, it plays really fast. I'll have a more detailed write-up soon. It really deserves to hit its mark.

Full disclosure: One of the two designers is currently an intern at Deep Silver Volition, where I work. She was not, however, working at DSV at the time of development or during the contest, as if she was the game would not have been prize-eligible, so it had no effect on my voting. I truly had a lot of fun with this game.

If anyone is looking for a good, quick playing family game, you'd do well to check out Heifer Heist.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855392870/heifer-heist

I actually judged a bunch of boards games in a contest that this was in, and it was at the top of my rankings. Really good humor, easy to understand rules, and as I mentioned, it plays really fast. I'll have a more detailed write-up soon. It really deserves to hit its mark.

Full disclosure: One of the two designers is currently an intern at Deep Silver Volition, where I work. She was not, however, working at DSV at the time of development or during the contest, as if she was the game would not have been prize-eligible, so it had no effect on my voting. I truly had a lot of fun with this game.

I didn't know you liked board games. Are you guys still located in central illinois?

I didn't know you liked board games. Are you guys still located in central illinois?

Like is an understatement. My collection is...well, my wife would call it absurd. For instance, between now and the end of September, between Gen Con and Kickstarter stuff, I'll be adding ~25 games to it? I have the second largest collection at the studio, outmatched only by our head, who I say only has more because he's been collection longer. And yes, we are still in Champaign.

Like is an understatement. My collection is...well, my wife would call it absurd. For instance, between now and the end of September, between Gen Con and Kickstarter stuff, I'll be adding ~25 games to it? I have the second largest collection at the studio, outmatched only by our head, who I say only has more because he's been collection longer. And yes, we are still in Champaign.

How have we not played games yet? I want to show off Golem Arcana later this week? You down?

Mine got here today. We'll have to play! This week is busy with Gen Con, but yeah, if you're in the area for sure. Waiting for the app, though. :\

PM me sometime. I wasn't able to swing GenCon this year but I'm in town and I know another guy who will be back for school in the fall who also got a bunch of GA stuff.

So is there no Gen Con thread for this year? Wondering who is going and what your must buys are. I'm running to the Asmodee booth first to get Lords of Xidit, Hyperborea, and Abyss.

Apenheul

Three weeks before the Operation Market Garden megagame starts, and man.. what have I got myself into? I received a very detailed handbook outlining all the different brigades and divisions. Hardly anything makes sense to me, but then again I know little about military science. The difference with one SUSD played seems to be that that one was quite diplomatic and this one's more strategic and realistic. Oh and by the way, there are more than a hundred people participating in this one. Some of the people on my team seem to know all the details of Market Garden and the military system. And what do I have to show for? "Don't worry guys, I play a mean board game...".

Neverfade

What did you do?

We've always added all drawn payouts to the improvement pile and did the selecting upon revealing that. In essence, the difference being only getting one upgrade per type per round. Everyone was doing it that way so it's not a huge deal gameplay wise, but playing it correctly is going to shake things way up.

I found that out during a hunt for a rules question I couldn't find. Maybe somewhere here can weigh in:

"Violence at an All Time High!" headline card vs downed skills: Which one kicks in first? VaaaTH says immediately, but the rules say downed skills interrupt an active manager's turn. Those both sound fast -- which one kicks in faster?

Our first game of Seventh Hero we played, we missed the rule that asking for a hint means discarding those hero cards in your hand that you use as a hint.

Amazing how one missed rule can turn a fun game into a kind of meaningless one, but after correcting it, it's a nice little addition to the quick filler games like Love Letter or Lost Legacy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So is there no Gen Con thread for this year? Wondering who is going and what your must buys are. I'm running to the Asmodee booth first to get Lords of Xidit, Hyperborea, and Abyss.

I'll be there.

I own Pandasaurus Games and will be cohabitating with IDW Games which is an offshoot from the comic company.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We've always added all drawn payouts to the improvement pile and did the selecting upon revealing that. In essence, the difference being only getting one upgrade per type per round. Everyone was doing it that way so it's not a huge deal gameplay wise, but playing it correctly is going to shake things way up.

I found that out during a hunt for a rules question I couldn't find. Maybe somewhere here can weigh in:

"Violence at an All Time High!" headline card vs downed skills: Which one kicks in first? VaaaTH says immediately, but the rules say downed skills interrupt an active manager's turn. Those both sound fast -- which one kicks in faster?

It looks like this is unresolved but I'd say downed skills trigger then you do a check to see if VaaTH still has an effect.

Neverfade

It looks like this is unresolved but I'd say downed skills trigger then you do a check to see if VaaTH still has an effect.

That's how the rules initially read to me, but we ended up playing that Violence resolved immediately because the additional roll was part of the initial tackle action. There seems to be precedence for this in some other similar timing rules, but again, with something like "interrupt" I can't be too sure.

Cat Party

Our first game of Seventh Hero we played, we missed the rule that asking for a hint means discarding those hero cards in your hand that you use as a hint.

Amazing how one missed rule can turn a fun game into a kind of meaningless one, but after correcting it, it's a nice little addition to the quick filler games like Love Letter or Lost Legacy.

Speaking of Love Letter and missing rules, my family and I played about 12 rounds of Love Letter before realizing you can't guess Guard when you play a Guard.

Speaking of Love Letter and missing rules, my family and I played about 12 rounds of Love Letter before realizing you can't guess Guard when you play a Guard.

It's similar to the weird interaction in Coup when you say you are using the Assassin and someone is going to claim Contessa. It was a bit wild west-ish in our group, until we came up with an order of operations there. Essentially, when someone says they're something by using an ability, that is the time to call bullshit. So if someone claims Assassin, you have to call bullshit right then, before they person they are assassinating even claims Contessa. Once they do, then you can call bullshit on that, but not on the assassin anymore. Pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work. Really love that game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wanna get Dead of Winter bad but I am showing my maturity and adulthood by refraining from buying a ~100m game that I will play once a year at most, as tempting of an experience as it sounds.

It seems like the perfect Con game but I very likely won't be making BGG this year either. :/

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I wanna get Dead of Winter bad but I am showing my maturity and adulthood by refraining from buying a ~100m game that I will play once a year at most, as tempting of an experience as it sounds.

It seems like the perfect Con game but I very likely won't be making BGG this year either. :/

I'm having a really really hard time coming to terms with this.

It's why I didn't get Firefly last year. It's why I won't get Dead of Winter this year despite really, really, really wanting it.

I might get to game 'for fun' 3-4 times a month at most at this point. And the reality is most of that is spent with more casual friends. So, Imperial Settlers and Sheriff of Nottingham for me at GenCon.

It's why I didn't get Firefly last year. It's why I won't get Dead of Winter this year despite really, really, really wanting it.

I might get to game 'for fun' 3-4 times a month at most at this point. And the reality is most of that is spent with more casual friends. So, Imperial Settlers and Sheriff of Nottingham for me at GenCon.
When I was in LA I had a group of four to five players and we would get together every once in awhile for a day long Saturday game. It was really the only way we could get a giant game in, but it gave us a chance to get big games to the table. If you have the right group carving out a day for a giant epic is a lot of fun.

fenners

When I was in LA I had a group of four to five players and we would get together every once in awhile for a day long Saturday game. It was really the only way we could get a giant game in, but it gave us a chance to get big games to the table. If you have the right group carving out a day for a giant epic is a lot of fun.

It's not just having the "right group", it's having the time to do it.

I did the same. I think it's because my sister's version (Asian art) might not mention this being disallowed on the rule reminder cards, but my version (other art) does, and when I played mine for the first time... oops!

*super mature fist bump*

The number of shiny games I've been not buying since I've moved walking distance to Card Kingdom is making my inner child super pissed off.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's not just having the "right group", it's having the time to do it.

We actually have a group that gets together every Monday at work, and we play from ~6-9, and we have played super-long games like Arkham and Eclipse before but there are so many things that can gum up the works when you're trying to coordinate a 90m+ game that we rarely try. There's also the question of whether people are in the mood for something that intense right after work (I know I'm not always). 7 Wonders was such a hit in part because it sits in that huge gulf between super-light games like Sushi Go, Love Letter, and all the light traitor games, and all the 90m+ games like basically every worker placement, most epics, etc. Deckbuilders also usually sit in that sweet spot. Really selfishly wish there were more 45-60m games like that. And I mean with teaching. Most worker-placement games claim to be shorter than they really are.

Experien

Is this maturity time?

I'm undecided if I just want Betrayal at House on Hill because of how hard it is to get it or cause I want it. I've played it once and found it more fun than Mansions of Madness. Almost want to get it just to have that to try to "cock block" MoM from coming out on the table again :p It would help fill out my "traitor" category of games though...

But the maturity angle says no cause I just got two board games this week and 3 more coming within the next 2-3 months.

Palmer_v1

Are there any online shops that sell Golem Arcana so I can check what potential international shipping would be?

Can someone give my a brief overview of this game? I've seen it popping up recently, but I can't get to any useful sites from work right now.

Edit: Nevermind, I found some info. It looks like it's another minatures game, with app interactions, which would be cool, but I already play Warmachine.

Double Edit: I played a game of Arkham Horror with apparently all of the expansions, though not using all additional scenarios/rules. Took about 4 hours. Had a lot of fun, but I'm glad I'm not the one that had to set it up and know all the little rules.

Tangeroo

I'm not sure how discarding hint cards makes Seventh Hero meaningless. It adds an extremely important risk/reward component to the game as ties at the end of the game are broken based on the number of individual discards. Using hint cards also limits the kinds of cards you're able to send when it gets to your turn.

19Kilo

What's neat is the Star Destroyer shown in Armada is the Victory II, so we will be seeing larger scale Star Destroyer no doubt..... and you know this means a large SSD mini!

So an Imperial class would be almost twice as long as the Victory (1,600m vs 900m) - maybe will be equivalent to the huge ships (e.g. corvette) in X-Wing? And I think an SSD would be much larger than the table - like 6ft. or something (19,000m)?

Neverfade

I'm not sure how discarding hint cards makes Seventh Hero meaningless. It adds an extremely important risk/reward component to the game as ties at the end of the game are broken based on the number of individual discards. Using hint cards also limits the kinds of cards you're able to send when it gets to your turn.

You're reading that wrong. He's saying when they played it wrong (NOT discarding) it was meaningless.

50 bucks shipping but with their discounts I guess it would work out fine for me. Gonna wait for some more reviews before I decide if I should get it.

I'll post some impressions this week sometime hopefully. The android app is pretty janky right now but I'm hoping it will be fixed by the official release day. I did run through the first kickstarter tutorial with my wife and the stylus worked great and the app worked as advertised--handling all the tricky calculations. Right now the thing that's broken is the army builder.

Top Bottom