• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

So an Imperial class would be almost twice as long as the Victory (1,600m vs 900m) - maybe will be equivalent to the huge ships (e.g. corvette) in X-Wing? And I think an SSD would be much larger than the table - like 6ft. or something (19,000m)?

If the pic of cards is in scale with the figs pictures, then a ISD would be smaller than the large X-Wing ships. But yea scale wise the SSD would possibly be around 3-4 ft long... kinda doubt that will happen.

KingErich

Banned
I picked up Blood Bowl Team Manager this past weekend and got three plays in. Damn is this game fun! Played with 4 each time. It was a blast. It is a medium difficulty game and even my non seasoned board gamer friends had a blast. It took about 2 rounds for them to really grasp what was going on. Some of my AP havin' gaming friends dragged the game out longer than it should have been though.

I highly recommend the game.

Also, got a big order from CSI coming. Star Realms, Seasons, For Sale, Citadels, and Summoner Wars Master Set. Can't wait.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I picked up Blood Bowl Team Manager this past weekend and got three plays in. Damn is this game fun! Played with 4 each time. It was a blast. It is a medium difficulty game and even my non seasoned board gamer friends had a blast. It took about 2 rounds for them to really grasp what was going on. Some of my AP havin' gaming friends dragged the game out longer than it should have been though.
Woohoo another one for the BBTM fanclub.

I have the newest expansion but haven't tried it yet. Agree with the general sentiment that the best way to have fun with it is to take fairly quick turns. The game can drag on with 4 + AP and it's really just supposed to be light fun.

KingErich

Banned
Woohoo another one for the BBTM fanclub.

I have the newest expansion but haven't tried it yet. Agree with the general sentiment that the best way to have fun with it is to take fairly quick turns. The game can drag on with 4 + AP and it's really just supposed to be light fun.

It's definitely in your face fun in a good way. The dice rolls and cheat tokens make for some exciting moments.

One of the cons I have is once you get a lot of Team Upgrades and Skill Upgrades it sometimes can feel overwhelming even for seasoned players to keep track of everything. I am sure this will go away with enough plays though.

Do you have the other expansion? What do you think?

KingErich

Banned
Also, does anyone else have a "wall of shame"? Games they bought but just don't like. I Here's mine:

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Core Worlds
Battleline
Munchkin
Dungeon Dice (Kickstarter)
Gonzaga

I keep them in another area from the rest of my games. :) I'd be interested in selling and trading if anyone is interested. Not sure if this is the right thread for that but just throwing it out there.

Duel of Ages II fits the bill for me. The problem is that I find it incredibly awesome. It's just nobody I've ever played it with has been into it.

A mate of mine bought a ton of the Sentinels of the Multiverse when we met the creators at PAX Australia. Unfortunately the game didn't turn out to be any good and we never play it. :(

KingErich

Banned
A mate of mine bought a ton of the Sentinels of the Multiverse when we met the creators at PAX Australia. Unfortunately the game didn't turn out to be any good and we never play it. :(

I bought the base game and an expansion. My wife and I played but it fell flat. The Super Hero cards weren't all that diverse. It seemed that in any given deck there were only 3 or so different type of cards. So I felt I was always drawing and playing the same cards. It just wasn't any fun.

It may have been better if it was player(Super Hero) vs player(Super Villain) rather than co-op.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do you have the other expansion? What do you think?

I like the first expansion a lot. Just the Enchanted Balls that have different effects than just Star Power add a ton. The new teams are a lot of fun too. Have you removed the errata'd cards? Not a huge deal either way but imo improves the game a little -- some of those were crazy strong.

Neverfade

Also, does anyone else have a "wall of shame"? Games they bought but just don't like. I Here's mine:

Core Worlds
Battleline
Munchkin
Gonzaga

I keep them in another area from the rest of my games. :) I'd be interested in selling and trading if anyone is interested. Not sure if this is the right thread for that but just throwing it out there.

Being way too far gone into Cult of the New I get stinkers all the time.

Currently Puzzle Strike 3rd, Bremerhaven, Targi, Trieste and more wait for new homes.

KingErich

Banned
I like the first expansion a lot. Just the Enchanted Balls that have different effects than just Star Power add a ton. The new teams are a lot of fun too. Have you removed the errata'd cards? Not a huge deal either way but imo improves the game a little -- some of those were crazy strong.

I did in the first game. I forgot to keep em out in the other 2. The card that gives you 4 fans at the end of the game helped me out. :)

I wonder why they even have them in the box if your not supposed to use them?

fenners

I... like Sentinels of the Multiverse.... :-/

I've gotten rid of most of my "wall of shame" via selling through work or math trades. Took a while. There's a few "lesser" games like Race to Adventure, Traps & Treasures, that I've gotten in trades that I got to play with the kids but haven't had a chance to try them out, and expect them to be poo...

But I tend to heavily stay away from the cult of the new & rarely buy games these days so it's to be expected ;)

Core Worlds
Battleline
Munchkin
Gonzaga

Villages
Heroes of Metro City
51st State
One Night Werewolf
Purge
Sedition Wars
Zombicide Season 2/Mall expansion

Lot of kickstarted games, really has put me off the whole thing since so many games being sold through hype based off cool components so often. I hope Robotech Tactics turns out decent, put a good chunk of change into it.

Neverfade

I wonder why they even have them in the box if your not supposed to use them?

The number of hours a game will be played after release will dwarf any play testing time you could possibly give it. It wasn't apparent until thousands of players were cranking out games that those cards were a bit swingy or unbalanced. Hence the errata.

Went on a shopping spree. Trying to catch up with the lost time, got:
- Last will + exp
- Tzolking + exp
- Burgundy
- Galaxy Trucker AE
- Dungeon petz + exp
- Jamaica
- Twilight struggle
- Braverats
- My happy farm

Fun times ahead!

Also, does anyone else have a "wall of shame"? Games they bought but just don't like.

For me:
- Dominion
- Powergrid
- Intrigue
- Pandemic
- Boss Monster
- Eketorp
- Last Night on Earth
- Tales of the arabian nights
- Undermining

I think it's also fun to get the other way, non top 500 games that you guys love.

Neverfade

I think it's also fun to get the other way, non top 500 games that you guys love.

Only browsed 500-1000 but Riff Raff is awesome, Guildhall: Job Faire (this mightbe cheating as regular Guildhall is high 400s), Campaign Manager 2008, and Longshot have all been great additions to my collection.

Weird, didn't realize there was hate for Sentinels. It's a staple around here. I can't buy the lack of diversity in heroes, because that simply isn't true.

Karkador

Banned
Weird, didn't realize there was hate for Sentinels. It's a staple around here. I can't buy the lack of diversity in heroes, because that simply isn't true.

IMO, it's got terrible artwork, and it's very tough in a cheesy way (especially with only 2 players)...but I can see why some people like it.

fenners

IMO, it's got terrible artwork, and it's very tough in a cheesy way (especially with only 2 players)...but I can see why some people like it.

Oh totally - artwork is cheap looking, the world is cheesy, but the difficulty is usually pretty balanced around 4 player controlled characters. Like zombicide, you need to double-up on characters per player if you've got less than the ideal amount. I still thoroughly enjoy it, even if I usually end up solo-ing it.

I bought Sentinels, loved it, got all the expansions (including promos), and our group played and played and played it.

And then one day, I just clicked and didn't want to play it ever again unless the group really wanted to, of course. Ended up selling it on Ebay.

Speaking of, Ebay is usually my method of choice. There's a certain joy to taking all the photos and setting up shots. Almost like one last time to play with your toy before giving it away. Looking to cull the collection a bit more, and got 5 lined up to sell.

Shipping's a pain though.

Oh totally - artwork is cheap looking, the world is cheesy, but the difficulty is usually pretty balanced around 4 player controlled characters. Like zombicide, you need to double-up on characters per player if you've got less than the ideal amount. I still thoroughly enjoy it, even if I usually end up solo-ing it.

Yeah, they actually even say that if you are playing with two players, each player should play two heroes. Artwork is subjective, and I don't find it offensive. The lore they've built between everyone is neat. The gameplay interactions are what interest me the most, and with all the various factors in play it becomes a puzzle for the group to figure out. Looking forward to getting Sentinels Tactics this week, which will probably arrive while I'm at Gen Con.

It's not my favorite game, but we pull it out for our weekly game lunch at least once a month.

daevv

Tonight was a longer gaming night (6-7 hours) before going to Gen Con. We played some of my smaller card games, some for the first time.

Smash Up.
First time using the base set. As MTG players we took to the card abilities immediately.

TSCHAK!
First time. Quick card game where at the end of each turn you pass your deck to the player on your left. I finished with a negative score. :)

Seventh Hero.
First time. Fun game with it going right to the last card. Some sneaky strategies and poker faces in that one. Another one with MTG type card abilities. You even tap cards to use them!

Love Letter.
Played lots before, always good for a quick laugh. One player sniped 4 straight times over 2 rounds correctly with the Guard. He was called Kreskin for the rest of the night. :)

We finished the night playing through 3 adventures in the Pathfinder Card Game. Only 3 left and Runelords is finished. Bring on the Pirates!!

Tonight was a longer gaming night (6-7 hours) before going to Gen Con. We played some of my smaller card games, some for the first time.

Smash Up.
First time using the base set. As MTG players we took to the card abilities immediately.

TSCHAK!
First time. Quick card game where at the end of each turn you pass your deck to the player on your left. I finished with a negative score. :)

Seventh Hero.
First time. Fun game with it going right to the last card. Some sneaky strategies and poker faces in that one. Another one with MTG type card abilities. You even tap cards to use them!

Love Letter.
Played lots before, always good for a quick laugh. One player sniped 4 straight times over 2 rounds correctly with the Guard. He was called Kreskin for the rest of the night. :)

We finished the night playing through 3 adventures in the Pathfinder Card Game. Only 3 left and Runelords is finished. Bring on the Pirates!!

How are you liking Pathfinder? I've only played it once, which really wasn't good enough to get a feel for. I've read everything from great to boring.

Angst

For you guys with long lists of games you don't like - have you tried trading them away in a math trade on BGG? It should be no problem trading away games that are popular (like Power Grid, Pandemic, Dominion etc), but other less popular game should be tradeable as well.

Only browsed 500-1000 but Riff Raff is awesome, Guildhall: Job Faire (this mightbe cheating as regular Guildhall is high 400s), Campaign Manager 2008, and Longshot have all been great additions to my collection.

For me:
- 2 de mayo (fun 2p game)
- Bottle Imp (amazing trick taking game)
- Caveman Curling
- The Climbers
- Felix: The cat in the sacl
- Elk Fest
- Lifeboats
- Saboteur
- Powerboats
- Villa Palletti

Unsurprisingly, most of them are simple games. I guess any heavy game not in the top 1000 is probably not that good or there's something better out there. Simple games it usually comes down to theme or one brilliant mechanic.

Outside the top 500, the only games that I've played are:

Bang
Castle Panic
Mascarade
Saboteur
Star Trek: Catan

None of them really blew me away. Bang we've played a lot, Star Trek: Catan was just like vanilla Catan and the others I didn't care for at all.

I've always wanted to try out Tsuro though.

Phthisis

For you guys with long lists of games you don't like - have you tried trading them away in a math trade on BGG? It should be no problem trading away games that are popular (like Power Grid, Pandemic, Dominion etc), but other less popular game should be tradeable as well.

Yes, and I've gotten some gems that I wasn't sure about owning before taking a chance on them in a math trade and then loving them. Math trades are dope.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm like the worlds biggest Sentinels shill.

love it, have the miniature skirmish games with all the extras headed to my house now..

Really, really love that game.

Then I found out that I missed a promo around Xmas where I had to order something on their website. Now I'm sad :(

daevv

How are you liking Pathfinder? I've only played it once, which really wasn't good enough to get a feel for. I've read everything from great to boring.

We have a great time playing.

Four regular players and two others that share a character every now and then. It's one of the few games we play where we all cheer when someone beats a Villain by 1 or getting the exact number. Also laugh when someone rolls 4d4's and gets a 1 on every roll.
Lots of running jokes over the course of the 5 adventures too. One player had somewhat of a feud with the Falling Bell barrier as he always encountered it. We had a moment of silence/Metal Gear Solid salute when we removed it from the box as per the rules for the later adventures. We still talk about the time someone found a Hill Giant in the general store only to right after find a giant crab. Was he shopping? Did he have crabs or was it his pet? lol.
Also some cards get a reaction from the whole table when they come up. The Archer Ally card has us saying "Lana? Lana? Lannnnnnaaa!" from the Archer cartoon. "What's all this then?" in a British accent is said when the Night Watch Ally shows up. The Token of Remembrance Item always gets a groan "Yeah, we remember you...crap!" Lots of other cards like that.

We have fun, talk some shit, and roll some dice. Great game.

Ohnonono

Shut up and Sit down just reviewed Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Glad I got a copy a few weeks ago cause that shit is soooooooooooooooold out.

Experien

My Games of Shame list is pretty sort...

-Zombie Dice
-Zpocalypse

And unless I can figure out Impulse, it will be there. I swear videos made it seem easy to play but the instructions suck! It tells you about boosting but not necessarily what it does. It tells you how to set-up but more so the board and not the players. It just feels strangely put together and as if it is missing pages.

XShagrath

And unless I can figure out Impulse, it will be there. I swear videos made it seem easy to play but the instructions suck! It tells you about boosting but not necessarily what it does. It tells you how to set-up but more so the board and not the players. It just feels strangely put together and as if it is missing pages.

I'll agree that the Impulse instructions are really garbage. I played my first game last week, and I think we only screwed up one thing. I ended up watching a playthrough from DriveThru Reviews in order to get everything down (although he didn't do any cruiser/cruiser combat).

Experien

I'll agree that the Impulse instructions are really garbage. I played my first game last week, and I think we only screwed up one thing. I ended up watching a playthrough from DriveThru Reviews in order to get everything down (although he didn't do any cruiser/cruiser combat).

I played a 2 player game with myself last night of 3 rounds (13 to 11 points) and I did attempt a fight but the instructions and player "mats" do combat in different orders and was a little confused by all the color gems they were talking about. But I planned on watching videos more of course.

I'm like the worlds biggest Sentinels shill.

love it, have the miniature skirmish games with all the extras headed to my house now..

Really, really love that game.

Then I found out that I missed a promo around Xmas where I had to order something on their website. Now I'm sad :(
Make sure you preorder the latest expansion. They are adding a few promos there as well.

Games I own but don't particularly like (hit me up if you're interested in a trade):

- Endeavor (boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33160/endeavor)
- Leonardo Da Vinci (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21920/leonardo-da-vinci)
- Red November (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36946/red-november)
- Vasco da Gama (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41002/vasco-da-gama)
- Vinhos (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42052/vinhos)

Low rated games that I own/like a lot:

- Campaign Manager (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/46255/campaign-manager-2008)
- Cold War: CIA vs KGB (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24742/cold-war-cia-vs-kgb)
- Founding Fathers (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37358/founding-fathers)
- Kachina (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30024/kachina)
- Intrigo (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65673/masques)
- Scattergories (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2381/scattergories)
- Oregon (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31497/oregon)

3 of those low rated games that I like a lot I played first on yucata.de I need to start playing games over there again. Anyone still active over there?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woohoo think I might be able to make it to BGG this year after all. :D :D

Who else is planning on going? Anyone from the old days who hasn't been back in a few years like Stooge and Flynn? :D Any first-timers?

Karkador

Banned
Shut up and Sit down just reviewed Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Glad I got a copy a few weeks ago cause that shit is soooooooooooooooold out.

I've had a copy of it for a while now, and I've really wanted to play it, but I need a quiet environment (not a loud, rowdy gamestore) to play.

Yucata is a great enabler for lowly rated games. I bought ponte del diavolo because of yucata.

Hell yeah, Ponte Del Diavolo is a really neat game! I'm also active on Yucata.

This is the list I just sent to my friends:

Game Publisher Location Notes
Istanbul AEG #801 Hype
Lost Legacy AEG #801 Love Letter
Sheriff of Nottingham Arcane Wonders #743 Economy game?
Consequential Asmadi #649; ICC 134-135 Time travel
Penny Press Asmadi #649; ICC 134-135 Kickstarted
Subdivision Bezier Games #2629 Suburbia
Abyss Bombyx #1421, #1429, #1521 The art
Five Tribes Days of Wonder #2017 Days of Wonder
VivaJava Dice Hate Me #1623 I dunno if it'll be there
XCOM: The Board Game Fantasy Flight #809, #817, #1109, #1117 XCOM
Epic Resort Floodgate Games #467 Legacy creator
Firefly - Blue Sun GaleForce Nine #729 Firefly
Sons of Anarchy GaleForce Nine #729 Spartacus/Firefly
Dead of Winter Plaid Hat Games #2127 Hype
Imperial Settlers Portal Games #664 Looks cool
7 Wonders: Babel Repos Production #1421, #1429, #1521 7 Wonders
Temporum Rio Grande Rio Grande room Rio Grande
City Hall Tasty Minstrel Games #359, #363 Looks cool
Lagoon 3 Hares Games somewhere Kickstarted

I'll find out if I have GAF friends I didn't know if somehow, you recognize the table i just posted

Ohnonono

I've had a copy of it for a while now, and I've really wanted to play it, but I need a quiet environment (not a loud, rowdy gamestore) to play.

Hell yeah, Ponte Del Diavolo is a really neat game! I'm also active on Yucata.

Yeah I plan on playing it at home at the table with music or Sherlock reruns on TV :)... Or House.. cause its Sherlock MD.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is it any good? SUSD rave about it but they rave about a lot that I don't like.

haha yeah those guys are entertaining but have pretty much the exact opposite taste to me. bunch of bullshitty story "games" are like their absolute favorites. they way overvalue novelty from my perspective. (not that sherlock falls into that trap -- that game looks legit cool though it's not really my bag either)

Top Bottom