• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
No, because there is not a whole lot of shuffling and the cards feel pretty nice. The objectives/locations etc. also doesn't need to be handle all that much so I most likely will keep them naked. I only recently sleeved games that I take to the café and MeetUp group and games that require a lot of card handling.

I ultimately went with sleeves. You can still see the cards nicely if you use the FFG clear (silver) sleeves. Think there are valid reasons not to though. I just think I'll be playing dozens of games with these so basically I'm sleeving all encounters, and cards used in my builds.

Yeah, good reasons for both. I am worried about wear and tear a bit.

Keasar

Right, think I'm holding off on SoB:Forbidden Fortress for now. Gonna focus on trying to get a copy of Inis instead (whenever the damn thing shows up again in stores...)

XShagrath

I sleeved everything for Arkham so far, with the exception of the player aids and mini-investigator cards. Eventually, I'll be using minis for the investigators once i get them painted. I'll mostly be playing solo or two player, so don't really need to "flip" them to show that my turn is over.

I've got so many sleeves for games I don't play anymore (LOTR:LCG and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game) that I won't need to purchase new sleeves for a year, at least.

As far as other pimping out stuff for the game, I went with the "tentacle" dice bag from FFG, and I just ordered some coin cases for the tokens, as that will give them some weight in the bag and they won't "stick" together as much. It will also minimize wear on those tokens. I don't know if I'll do anything with the other tokens in the game. Right now I have them in little petri-style dishes so that they're easy to set up and tear down. I play a lot of the Arkham Files games, so getting something like Stonemeier's "Terror Tome" is not out of the question, but that seems a little bit overboard.

Ah, OK, I think that POD was available for awhile now sadly none of my local stores carry them yet. I will probably wait and get it from Funagain once they got next expansions in.

Don't think my store got it yet at all.

Are you sleeving your cards? Can't decide if I should or not. First time getting into a card game.
You can buy it directly from FFG.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/products/curse-rougarou/

As for sleeves, I'm probably going to sleeve up the player cards since those will get handled the most. I'll end up doing what I do with Netrunner and just sleeve up the cards I'm using and not everything.

I did solo the first scenario last night with Skids. Barely beat it with 5 horror. I ended up using a combo of Elusive and the dynamite to sneak out of the hallway and blow up the big bad. I really like the game and am looking forward to more cards for deck building.

joelseph

I did solo the first scenario last night with Skids. Barely beat it with 5 horror. I ended up using a combo of Elusive and the dynamite to sneak out of the hallway and blow up the big bad. I really like the game and am looking forward to more cards for deck building.

I made it halfway through the second scenario last night solo with Roland. So far I have relied on dynamite far too heavily for my success. I was able to upgrade my deck after the first scenario and chose to get a shotgun. Hoping to use it soon!

Scenario 1 spoilers
I was able to kill the ghoul and save Lita. I took Lita's advice and burnt my house down. All decision points had consequences starting scenario 2!

XShagrath

I started playing through the second scenario solo. I started out strong, but then got overwhelmed about halfway through and packed it up. I need to condition myself to just realize that bad shit is going to happen and I'm going to fail scenarios and just keep going. I'm going to get to a resolution and move on either way.

Chorazin

Secret Hitler is up for sale to people who didn't get in on the Kickstarter. They say available on Amazon, but they don't have it yet, so I ordered direct. The production value of the copy I played made it totally worth it for me, can't wait to get my copy!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I started playing through the second scenario solo. I started out strong, but then got overwhelmed about halfway through and packed it up. I need to condition myself to just realize that bad shit is going to happen and I'm going to fail scenarios and just keep going. I'm going to get to a resolution and move on either way.

Scenario 1&2 Arkham LCG spoilers:
Yeah, the consensus on BGG seems to be that one is more of a tutorial (though I still found it fun and challenging) and two is where the game really kicks off. We played 3p (4 cores, so we had all the cards we wanted) with Roland, Daisy, and Agnes and did pretty well but it's hard to know exactly how well because we misplayed and thought "unique" meant the common meaning of the word and not the game term (it should be capitalized tbh as the game definition is not the common meaning, but this mistake is really funny as we all played Netrunner for years which has the exact same concept and almost same symbology) so wound up getting six unique cultists but only four 'unique' cultists if you know what I mean. :p

So I've played a couple games with my game group now, but going to go back tomorrow and start a fresh campaign with my wife, probably using Skids and Wendy, who are the two not in our game-group campaign. (And I really like Wendy as a slippery character, and haven't played Skids yet at all.) To the deckbuilder! Only thing I somewhat lament is that there aren't that many upgrade choices yet with the core card pool. But the decisions of what cards to cut are still really interesting, and man is upgrading going to be fun when the pool gets bigger.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Scenario 1&2 Arkham LCG spoilers:
Yeah, the consensus on BGG seems to be that one is more of a tutorial (though I still found it fun and challenging) and two is where the game really kicks off. We played 3p (4 cores, so we had all the cards we wanted) with Roland, Daisy, and Agnes and did pretty well but it's hard to know exactly how well because we misplayed and thought "unique" meant the common meaning of the word and not the game term (it should be capitalized tbh as the game definition is not the common meaning, but this mistake is really funny as we all played Netrunner for years which has the exact same concept and almost same symbology) so wound up getting six unique cultists but only four 'unique' cultists if you know what I mean. :p

So I've played a couple games with my game group now, but going to go back tomorrow and start a fresh campaign with my wife, probably using Skids and Wendy, who are the two not in our game-group campaign. (And I really like Wendy as a slippery character, and haven't played Skids yet at all.) To the deckbuilder! Only thing I somewhat lament is that there aren't that many upgrade choices yet with the core card pool. But the decisions of what cards to cut are still really interesting, and man is upgrading going to be fun when the pool gets bigger.

Can't wait for more cards. I'm playing my first two player game with a buddy tonight. I made a Skids deck for him and I'm going to use Daisy since with only 1 core it is tricky using other characters. On the way I might break down and get some sleeves, lol.

I have the Wendy mini from MoM, considering ordering the others from FFG

Ohnonono

Keep in mind that with a few exceptions there is usually a way to retreat without losing or winning. in that case the game tells you what to record from your play and you move on. It will have consequences during a later scenario.

XShagrath

Keep in mind that with a few exceptions there is usually a way to retreat without losing or winning. in that case the game tells you what to record from your play and you move on. It will have consequences during a later scenario.
Of course. However, in solo/co-op games, I/my group tend to just want to "reset" once I/we realize that we're not going to win. With the way Arkham allows you to progress and see the consequences of your actions, I/we need to just suck it up and trudge onwards and do the best I/we can in the scenarios and take my/our lumps if they come up.

Of course. However, in solo/co-op games, I/my group tend to just want to "reset" once I/we realize that we're not going to win. With the way Arkham allows you to progress and see the consequences of your actions, I/we need to just suck it up and trudge onwards and do the best I/we can in the scenarios and take my/our lumps if they come up.

Yup. Treat it like a legacy game. The bumps along they way will add character later. It is an important part of any long campaign.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

S2 Spoilers:
But Scenario 2 has no true "win" state, or you could say that any state that involves Resign or getting all the unique cultists is a "win," but the resolutions are no different.

fwiw too, it's actually better to take the L early on as it lets you see more of the game, and you're likelier to be better your next go-round and just keep seeing the same resolutions (unless you bump up the difficulty, which is actually what we plan on doing :p).

Blizzard

Banned
Yup. Treat it like a legacy game. The bumps along they way will add character later. It is an important part of any long campaign.
This is what turned me off of the Warhammer adventure card game. I literally never beat the first scenario, whether solo 2-player or group 4-player, even after reading up on strategy advice.

I might try it a few more times some day, but all I wanted was to start the second scenario with a weapon reward instead of a punishment. There are only a few (5?) campaign levels, so getting a persistent reward early would be nice.

This is what turned me off of the Warhammer adventure card game. I literally never beat the first scenario, whether solo 2-player or group 4-player, even after reading up on strategy advice.

I might try it a few more times some day, but all I wanted was to start the second scenario with a weapon reward instead of a punishment. There are only a few (5?) campaign levels, so getting a persistent reward early would be nice.

Yeah, some games are definitely better than others when dealing with a long campaign. Pretty much every game I have played that involve player impact due to wins/losses have had some pretty big pitfalls. I know I bagged on Necromunda earlier, but honestly that system was unbelievably robust and worked really well even in huge campaigns of 20+ games.

I made it halfway through the second scenario last night solo with Roland. So far I have relied on dynamite far too heavily for my success. I was able to upgrade my deck after the first scenario and chose to get a shotgun. Hoping to use it soon!

Scenario 1 spoilers
I was able to kill the ghoul and save Lita. I took Lita's advice and burnt my house down. All decision points had consequences starting scenario 2!
scenario 1 spoiler.
I burnt the house down too. Starting next scenario with 1 less Sanity with Skids is going to be rough.

Oh and yes, the dynamite is awesome. Expensive, but so good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh man, yucata.de (free, asynchronous online lay of mostly great games) has some amazing games up now.

If you want to play any of these please post your username and what games you'd like to play and I'll create a game once I hit the requested player count. Only real request is you try to check at least once a day after we start. :)

Automobiles (4p)
Carson City (3p)
Can't Stop (4p)
Castles of Burgundy (3p)
Port Royal (4p)
Rattus (4p)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, dynamite is great.

Caved and got some KMC perfect fit sleeves. Guy at the store recommended them. Good bang for my buck. Sleeving right now.

Keasar

Warhammer Quest card game, gone too soon. :(

I had bought it a week before they announced that they would discontinue everything Warhammer related at FFG. :(

And I was looking so much forward to expansions to Forbidden Stars. And I am honestly still ticked off about it. The Warhammer FFG games were so far the best way for me to play Warhammer related games physically. The Games Workshop games are severely overpriced for us Swedes.

I had bought it a week before they announced that they would discontinue everything Warhammer related at FFG. :(

And I was looking so much forward to expansions to Forbidden Stars. And I am honestly still ticked off about it. The Warhammer FFG games were so far the best way for me to play Warhammer related games physically. The Games Workshop games are severely overpriced for us Swedes.

Forbidden Stars is a great game on it's own, doesn't need expansions really. But WHQ, it really feels kinda hollow and useless, it was obviously meant to have expansions beyond the one set, and we got nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the two print on demand hero expansion packs they put out, were probably part of an expansion set that was in the works, and they just tossed out there real quick since they knew the license was not gonna be renewed.

Still slowly making my way through the Mage Knight walkthrough and rulebook. I work 40 hours a week and I am just too tired to do anything after work. :( Also, this game takes up way more table space than I anticipated.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Still slowly making my way through the Mage Knight walkthrough and rulebook. I work 40 hours a week and I am just too tired to do anything after work. :( Also, this game takes up way more table space than I anticipated.

Watch how-to-plays and even playthroughs on YT during dinner; that's how I find the time to truly learn crunchier games hahah.

I just imported Cottage Garden. I was stoked for the game since I love Patchwork so much.

pic3159206.jpg

The goal of the game is fairly different from its predecessor- instead of trying to fill every square on your board, each board has plant pots and plant covers that you want to try and build around. You score the board when the squares have something filling it. You will cycle out new boards every time you score one. Picking up plants is different from patchwork as well, since there is a central board that players choose from. Its easier to telegraph turns and predict who will choose what and when.
The theme is wonderful and adorable.

I just imported Cottage Garden. I was stoked for the game since I love Patchwork so much.

pic3159206.jpg

The goal of the game is fairly different from its predecessor- instead of trying to fill every square on your board, each board has plant pots and plant covers that you want to try and build around. You score the board when the squares have something filling it. You will cycle out new boards every time you score one. Picking up plants is different from patchwork as well, since there is a central board that players choose from. Its easier to telegraph turns and predict who will choose what and when.
The theme is wonderful and adorable.

Those dead cats though :(

Do you think it is different enough from patchwork? It looks good, but I'm pretty happy with PW and I'm not sure we would need another like it (especially lighter weight?)
The overall goal is different from patchwork. This game shines brightest with 3 or 4 players since it's more focused on churning out as many garden plots as possible while scoring as much points as you can. I think patchwork is pretty light already, Cottage Garden has potentially as much strategic depth, though with different areas of focus. You aren't fixated in costs and time, more so on who is completing what and what is being taken. I think it's easier to block someone if you wanted to.

They likely had some product rushed by air for retail release to make the holidays, while rest is coming on a slow boat from China (literally).

Blizzard

Banned
I found another reason not to order from the official Harry Potter Shop -- not only was expected shipping about a month later than just ordering the Hogwarts Battle board game from Amazon, but I contacted them and requested my preorder be cancelled. On October 4, they emailed and said they would cancel it right way.

It was delivered today anyway. After dancing on the phone with a customer support person for a while, it turns out it shipped November 20-something. At least they're emailing me a return label so I can send it back.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Don't bother with the rule book until you've played the walk through game at least once. And I would suggest twice.

Also yes - the footprint of the game is massive.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
People are selling pledges to KD:M now it seems?
2000$ for a full pledge.
Smh.

Of course they are.

I still haven't pledged. Not sure if I will or not. I mean, the $750 tier is probably the max I'd go. That includes everything currently available as well as the new Gambler's Chest. The Satan Pledge contains too much filler. I don't care for the Pinups, promos, or non-game shit. I'll get the $750 and chuck money at the expansions that come out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Local Game Store only got TWO of each Star Wars Destiny's Starters.

It is Dicemasters all over again.

I'd be interested in this game since Lukas Litzsinger is designing (although I limit to one LCG/collectible game at a time, and Arkham is gonna be my thing for probably a couple years), but man I just can't get over how much I dislike how the dice look and how they're not even that functional since every face has the same art. :/ Looks like it's another huge hit for FFG though. If it carries through I imagine we'll see even more collectible-type games from them.

Taborcarn

Tabletopia is now out of Early Access. It's free to play for the standard games, the subscription is only needed to start rooms for "premium" games.

I paid for the Steam early access, so I get the premium subscription for a month. I just looked at the website, and the biggest change is there is actually a user base! Plenty tables popping up for Scythe, Terra Mystica, Santorini and others. I unintentionally started a table for Kraftwagen and it filled up before I could even go in and delete it.

I haven't logged in to it in a couple months but it seems worth checking out again.

swoon

Tabletopia is now out of Early Access. It's free to play for the standard game, the subscription is only needed to start rooms for "premium" games.

I paid for the Steam early access, so I get the premium subscription for a month. I just looked at the website, and the biggest change is there is actually a user base! Plenty tables popping up for Scythe, Terra Mystica, Santorini and others. I unintentionally started a table for Kraftwagen and it filled up before I could even go in and delete it.

I haven't logged in to it in a couple months but it seems worth checking out again.

oh that's great news. I was never able to find a game during EA. we should schedule some stuff

DTU

Banned
I'd be interested in this game since Lukas Litzsinger is designing (although I limit to one LCG/collectible game at a time, and Arkham is gonna be my thing for probably a couple years), but man I just can't get over how much I dislike how the dice look and how they're not even that functional since every face has the same art. :/ Looks like it's another huge hit for FFG though. If it carries through I imagine we'll see even more collectible-type games from them.

The dice are extremely functional. The art on the faces (which is the same art as on the card) helps quickly identify a die in a pile of 20.

Is it bad that i find these mini games on kickstarter kind of cynical.

It seems those do well just based on the aesthetic. Are these games even fun

Is it bad that i find these mini games on kickstarter kind of cynical.

It seems those do well just based on the aesthetic. Are these games even fun

Can't speak for the many other miniature games on Kickstarter, but at the very least, Kingdom Death: Monster is a known quantity. The kickstarter is for a second print run, as well as a slew of new content, including updates to a 1.5 ruleset (Was at 1.3 at first release), at least 3 new expansions, and of course the ever talked-about pin-ups which are more for collectors.

There is a reason that it's reached the top 200 overall on BGG with less than 3000 owners with an average user rating of 9.12. That's not to say it's for everyone, but it's a damn fine game, my personal favorite even with my penchant for preferring heavier Euro games over my Amerithrash.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Didn't post this last month since I actually had <15 plays, but finally slowly ramping up the gaming again. :D My November in board games:

xnSiRan.jpg

Purkake4

Banned
Hey, thinking of some christmas gifts. Can anyone give me a quick primer on the best kickstarter boardgames? I know there's always something getting funded, but it's quite hard to keep an eye on them to see what actually delivers and is fun.

Preferably good stuff that doesn't take hours to set up or have 100+ miniatures included.

Top Bottom