• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

The Town I work for has given me the green light to create a board game night at the rec center. We have tons of space and tables. What kind of things could we add to make it more appealing?

I need some advice. I really want to get Mascarade, but should I if I already own other hidden role/bluffing type games? I currently have Resistance and Love Letter.

Karkador

Banned
I need some advice. I really want to get Mascarade, but should I if I already own other hidden role/bluffing type games? I currently have Resistance and Love Letter.

Mascarade is quite different from either of those, so I'd say that if you and your friends enjoy those types of games, then go for it.
There's a new expansion coming out sooner or later, so it's a good time to check the game out.

Karkador

Banned
On the subject of hidden role games and memory games (like Mascarade), I played Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game this week, and it was such a cool experience.

It's similar to the board game (or BSG, if you haven't played Shadows), but its stripped down to the essence of the game. It's a co-op game where you're all collectively trying to keep mental track of what cards have been played - precision is pretty critical to this task, but the game puts you through a lot of tricks to throw your memory off, including a potential traitor in your midst.

The really interesting thing is how it's different from a regular hidden role game, especially for the traitor. Lots of hidden role games deal with logic and deduction, but this game is much more of a memory game, so the traitor has a lot of subtle, irrational ways to mess with players.

I have successfully made it out of the dealers room in one piece. Many games were purchased, the only thing outstanding it's my preorder copy of Doomtown. Shame pile pic coming soon.

Was real close to the front yet aile to get in the WizKids line before cutoff. Oh well plaid hat was nearby and got in that line to get Dead of Winter before selling out.

Oh god yes let's see the shame pile

Ask and ye shall receive...

14%2B-%2B1

Experien

Mostly dudes at the GenCon. Wow! Where are the ladies?

ComicCon's and other popular places with cosplay?

I KID! I have a board game MeetUp and there are definitely not a big female population that show up. Sure, a lot of females join and I have a female regular or two but for the most part, they never come to events. I think it is still a novelty to most people and still think it covers Monopoly and Scrabble instead of ALL THAT IS GOOD!

Mostly dudes at the GenCon. Wow! Where are the ladies?

There are lots of women here at the con.

Cannot see the names of games on the left but what's Lords of Xidit? Everything about the box reminds me of Seasons.

Also...FlyingFrog need to send me my copy of Shadow of Brimstone soon!

Yeah, my phone camera sucks...top to bottom for that left stack:

Pandemic: Contagion
Arcatype
Sheriff of Nottingham
Doomtown Reloaded

Xidit is an updated reskin of an old programming game called Himalaya. It's set in the same world as Seasons.

zulux21

View from the front.

those are from gencon right?
if so I have officially lost all interest in ever going to gencon @_@

I should however take the time to make a shame pile sometime...
but alas my shame pile is skewed horribly as I work at a thrift store and tend to pick up any game that looks even slightly interesting since they are $2.30 or less. heck I own like 5 copies of flux now since it comes in at 60 cents and I just can't resist at that price ><; (I give them out to people randomly)

those are from gencon right?
if so I have officially lost all interest in ever going to gencon @_@

I should however take the time to make a shame pile sometime...
but alas my shame pile is skewed horribly as I work at a thrift store and tend to pick up any game that looks even slightly interesting since they are $2.30 or less. heck I own like 5 copies of flux now since it comes in at 60 cents and I just can't resist at that price ><; (I give them out to people randomly)

That shame pile is just my gen con pickups. :)

And those pictures shouldn't scare you. That's nearly zero hour for day one of the dealer room. It isn't a necessity.

So it looks like Upper Deck is bringing back the vs system as an LCG. Super excited about this, VS. was hands down my favorite CCG of all time and I hope the revival does well.

KingErich

Banned
IIRC, trade shows like Gencon/Origins sometimes can be very awkward for female attendees (Stooge gave an example about his wife in the apst).

I was thinking of going to the BGG.Con with my wife. Now I am having second thoughts.

Maybe those initial pictures weren't a full representation of GenCon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was thinking of going to the BGG.Con with my wife. Now I am having second thoughts.

BGG.Con has many women attendees. I used to go with my wife and her friend myself. Just in terms of what your wife will be comfortable with, you have to remember that BGG is very much a social-gaming experience vs. the trade-show nature of GenCon. My wife would never be remotely interested in a trade show, but she definitely enjoyed her time at BGG.

ultron87

Things aren't ever that tight except during that initial crush at the opening of the expo hall where everyone that needs some limited thing needs to rush to a booth and/or to get in line for Fantasy Flight's store for the next 6 hours. The convention spreads across the huge convention hall and a bunch of the connecting hotels so there is plenty of room for everyone.

For what it is worth my group has three women that go every year and they have a wonderful time at Gen Con and there are tons of women around. It probably isn't the near 50/50 split that Comic Con is approaching but women aren't a rarity by any means.

Karkador

Banned
I bought two of the VS Batman sets for my girlfriend, but we didn't really "get" the game. Or at least I didn't. Something about burning a card from your deck just to check a number on it puts me off - but we didn't even get around to playing a single game, so I still want to give it a shot.

KingErich

Banned
BGG.Con has many women attendees. I used to go with my wife and her friend myself. Just in terms of what your wife will be comfortable with, you have to remember that BGG is very much a social-gaming experience vs. the trade-show nature of GenCon. My wife would never be remotely interested in a trade show, but she definitely enjoyed her time at BGG.

This is good to know. Thanks man. We talked it over last night. She is wanting to go. So, I am on the waiting list for Con tickets. I'll have to work out a hotel later. Looks like there are enough near by if I can't get one at the airport.

KingErich

Banned
Man, I wish I could get a copy of Blueprints and Bang! The Dice game. CSI is OOS. I would definately be poor after GenCon. So many games!

Karkador

Banned
Is anyone else watching BGG's live stream of this FFG guy talking about X-Com?

It's like all the scattershot content of a FFG rulebook...live.

"Let me tell you about the country's funding, guys...look, we have this app.....okay the timer is running....we'll draw a card, but before i talk about the card, let me tell you about the roles in the game.....and look, the timer is still running"

Edit: Yeah, I don't know...this looks like FFG gone way off the rails. I'm not sure how people will take this. I think I'd rather play Space Alert.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is anyone else watching BGG's live stream of this FFG guy talking about X-Com?

It's like all the scattershot content of a FFG rulebook...live.

"Let me tell you about the country's funding, guys...look, we have this app.....okay the timer is running....we'll draw a card, but before i talk about the card, let me tell you about the roles in the game.....and look, the timer is still running"

Bahahaha. It's hard enough to follow their (pretty good) professional recorded videos sometimes.

Shame pile +1

They sold out of VS quick after the announcement. They announced it at the con booth and started selling it right then on the spot, the line formed real quick.

Assume they will try to have more each day, they also sold out of the Aliens version of Legendary.

It is, I wonder if they licensed it from FFG, as other companies are calling it a different format.

That or UD fucked up.

My fiancee and I will be at GenCon pretty much all weekend. We live like 20min away from the Convention Center so we will there as often as possible. If anyone from out of town needs anything, shoot me a PM. Might be able to do some rides and shit for Gaffers.

Love GenCon, today seemed much more packed than most Thursdays which means Fri/Sat are probably going to be insane!

They sold out of VS quick after the announcement. They announced it at the con booth and started selling it right then on the spot, the line formed real quick.

Assume they will try to have more each day, they also sold out of the Aliens version of Legendary.

I got one pretty close to 5pm, actually.

Also, co-op lovers....Shadowrun Crossfire is the bees knees. Very much creates a puzzle you're solving as a group. Really dig it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Oh man,

I'm soo tired.

Crazy, crazy day.

Like 8,000 meetings. 2-3 games I'm super excited about that I can't talk about again.

Forgot how to play X-Files over the last two weeks. I mean, at least enough to not be able to teach it.

Went to do the BGG live stream and my brain turned to absolute mush and I totally messed it up. Luckily found out they didn't hit record and I got to do it over again slightly better

Failed to pick up a single game. Don't know if they are selling Battle at Kemble's arcade or not, but I want to get it.

Also, I foudn this nice cocktail bar near downtown and some dude in a kilt walked in, and I was about to make fun of him when he sat down and I realized it was Wil Wheaton.

Ha.

Oh man,

I'm soo tired.

Crazy, crazy day.

Like 8,000 meetings. 2-3 games I'm super excited about that I can't talk about again.

Forgot how to play X-Files over the last two weeks. I mean, at least enough to not be able to teach it.

Went to do the BGG live stream and my brain turned to absolute mush and I totally messed it up. Luckily found out they didn't hit record and I got to do it over again slightly better

Failed to pick up a single game. Don't know if they are selling Battle at Kemble's arcade or not, but I want to get it.

Also, I foudn this nice cocktail bar near downtown and some dude in a kilt walked in, and I was about to make fun of him when he sat down and I realized it was Wil Wheaton.

Ha.

Was it Nicky Blaines?

Top Bottom