• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I received Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game for Christmas. I know FFG lost the license from Games Workshop, so I'm trying my best to hunt down the Witch Hunter and Troll Slayer expansions. Miniature Market is out. CSI is out. FFG is out. Any other sites that might have them available? I'd rather avoid the $45 cost from Amazon. eBay is slightly better, but I'm kind of hoping against hope I can find them a bit more reasonably priced.

Protome

My sister got me Time Stories for Christmas. Good pick from her given its a game I wanted but wasn't interested enough to pick up myself.

Lyng

Ack, I stressing out right now. Level 99 Games sent me an email thanking me for supporting them this year and offered a code for a free copy of Disc Duelers, a game they sell for $40, while supplies last. Their site isn't working properly right now though and crashed the one time I could get it into my cart. I want this game, especially since I have recently become hooked on (or hooked on the idea of, since I only buy games but never play them) dexterity games. And I also love L99 anyway, they make such good games.

Yeah I got the e-mail aswell. Sadly Suzanne from Dice Tower chose to tell everyone on Twitter and share the link and code, before I got the chance to order it. Save to say their shop crashed after that.

Iced

Picked up a couple of things at midnight from 401 Games:

Blood Rage (was a door crasher)
Inis
Dead Last
Bill & Ted's Excellent Board Game

Then picked up a Vallejo Basic USA Colors Paint Set from Amazon as I'm going to start painting my minis when I'm back from the holidays. Also bought Army Painter primer (black and white) as well as some brushes from Meeplemart. I think that's enough cash spent for one day!

SumGamer

Got my copy of Fields of Green. I'm not super happy with the quality of the components.
Backed it on KS, thinking their execution of engine building that doesn't last forever is cool.

Played my first game today and both me and my wife kinda not super excited with the game. The idea is kinda there but 2-player makes it less interesting imo. Luck also involved quite heavily since we have to pick cards from different stacks without seeing them. We might have started an engine but without a good cards the effort might go south.

Not really impressed with this.

EYEL1NER

Yeah I got the e-mail aswell. Sadly Suzanne from Dice Tower chose to tell everyone on Twitter and share the link and code, before I got the chance to order it. Save to say their shop crashed after that.
I managed to get an order through this morning at 5AM or so. I don't know what the quantity they are giving away is or if they have any left, but I would try again if I were you.
When it failed to work last night, I went to the Board Game Deals subreddit and the Hot Deals subforum on BGG to see if it had been posted there. I figured there must have been a rush to the site by a lot of people. It didn't get posted anywhere like that but if you are saying the Dice Tower tweeted it, that probably contributed.
I checked the L99 Games Facebook page and saw that they posted the same thing as the email on their page, so it wasn't a personal "Thank You" to people who bought from their webstore or Kickstarters this year, I guess.

Fireblend

Banned
Played my first 2 games of Parade during lunch, what a neat little game :D it's simple to play, pretty clever, and strategic enough to have some decent replay value; I'm pretty sure I haven't quite figured out how to play it optimally. I see myself playing this with my regular groups and family as well. The art is great and the build quality of the cards and the box is great - I like how they kinda use the box as a game component even if it's not necessary at all, because it's a nice thing to look at, haha.

Ohnonono

Just went ahead and ordered everything for AH::CG from MM so they can ship it whenever Dunwich releases. That will be a box of content for that game holy crap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Might just be Christmas rush or limited supply, but Destiny at least appears to be blowing up. Even Kylo starters are going for 30+ on ebay (was looking to get another copy so I could make multiple competitive decks...damn 1x starter-only cards I forgot about). I will say that the starters in this game are a pretty epic example of deliberately not giving a fuuuuuu what your starters play like. Disappointing b/c Netrunner by the same designer was so good and balanced out of the box. But here you have two decks that don't even come close to matching up points-wise, aren't tournament (or anything else) legal, and they don't even give you 2x Finn should you for some reason want to make an Elite Finn deck one day. I know they want you to go out and buy boosters, but wouldn't it make sense to at least have the starters be a good and even matchup, even if the decks themselves are underpowered? I give FFG probably like a thousand bucks every year all told but they will never cease to mystify me with some of their decisions.

Our one Christmas game we played was Duel w/ Pantheon expansion and it definitely added a lot of meat to the base game. Almost feels like how adding Leaders in 7 Wonders was. Now some people don't like that added layer but I definitely enjoyed it. Also tried to teach my wife Destiny w/ the starters but it was way too late; even though the game is insanely simple it's different enough from everything else we play to where teaching it at 10pm wasn't happening for either of us. :p

Got my copy of Fields of Green. I'm not super happy with the quality of the components.
Backed it on KS, thinking their execution of engine building that doesn't last forever is cool.

Played my first game today and both me and my wife kinda not super excited with the game. The idea is kinda there but 2-player makes it less interesting imo. Luck also involved quite heavily since we have to pick cards from different stacks without seeing them. We might have started an engine but without a good cards the effort might go south.

Not really impressed with this.

I almost backed that, so sad it didn't quite work out.

I think I recall somewhere a draft system to remove the luck for a 2 player game?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Destiny: How many booster boxes did you guys buy?
.5 at various points from my FLGS. 4 more whenever free shipping actually gets here from CSI. Was hoping this week but ETA is saying 1/3/17 on FedEx's site.

I was debating on immediately opening 3 and seeing where I stood before breaking the 4th. But everyone at work only bought one each and almost everyone has the "start" of a decent deck. Now I'm thinking i just open the 4th and hope between all 4 I have some solid extra LG/Rs to make my money back from my coworkers to just pay for the 4th.

JesseZao

As much as I loathe CCGs as a model, I did enjoy playing the Destiny starters for a few games that I might be pulled in. Luckily for me, nobody has the stuff in stock so I can stew on my decision a bit.

hOnEFbeh.jpg
Played my first game of snowball zombie, pretty fun game I picked at the tokyo game market this year. Mix of dexterity and simultaneous selection with a bit of take that. Really nice components and art. Saw a guy from TGM with a copy of it at the covention so hopefully it will get a wider release.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gave Oregon Trail the card game a shot tonight. It's pretty terrible, but it's also good quick fun. Almost no strategy whatsoever as it's a complete RNG fest. It's also super unbalanced with 2p holy shit. Oh and the rulebook is hot hot garbage.

Having said that, the game definitely brings back memories of dying in the computer game and got some good laughs out of my wife. We'll bust this out next time we have some friends over who will appreciate the ridiculousness of the game.

Did a trial run of Arkham Horror The Card Game's first scenario. So is playing true solo (ie one investigator) a fool's errand? Because it did not go well.

Gave Oregon Trail the card game a shot tonight. It's pretty terrible, but it's also good quick fun. Almost no strategy whatsoever as it's a complete RNG fest. It's also super unbalanced with 2p holy shit. Oh and the rulebook is hot hot garbage.

Having said that, the game definitely brings back memories of dying in the computer game and got some good laughs out of my wife. We'll bust this out next time we have some friends over who will appreciate the ridiculousness of the game.
My niece got it for me for Christmas. We played couple of games and it was closed to impossible to win. It did bring that nostalgic factor.

lordxar

Did a trial run of Arkham Horror The Card Game's first scenario. So is playing true solo (ie one investigator) a fool's errand? Because it did not go well.

You can set easy mode on the chaos tokens which helps but this doesn't appear much different than Eldritch Horror plays out. In other words this shit is like Dark Souls, prepare to die!

XShagrath

Those look great!

I'll post up a picture of my MoM minis once I finish painting and basing them. Only 17 more to paint, then need to rebase all of them.

borghe

On Easy it may be possible. On Standard, even two investigators is EXTREMELY difficult.

Basically we need more cards. a second core set could help, but more expansions and mythos packs will help tremendously.

actually a second core could help a lot. there are a lot of great class cards that we only get one of.

Someone proposed this trade to me, should I pull the trigger?

My new Deception: Murder in Hong Kong for his used Dominion (2008), Mafia de Cuba and Bang The Dice Game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
On Easy it may be possible. On Standard, even two investigators is EXTREMELY difficult.

Basically we need more cards. a second core set could help, but more expansions and mythos packs will help tremendously.

actually a second core could help a lot. there are a lot of great class cards that we only get one of.

First scenario or first campaign? B/c first scenario I think you can do with a little finagling. That said, I play Arkham games solo every once in a while but never with a single investigator. I really feel like LCG in particular is quite tuned to 2P, more so than any other Arkham game is for a single player count. It's probably a touch too hard at 1P and you miss out on fun interactions, and 3P though I've done like seven games at that count I find it consistently a bit too long. Difficulty (not story) spoilers though:
The campaign difficulty really ramps up into 2, and then 3 even more so. I'd suggest going with at least 2 just to give yourself a fighting chance.

The POD sidequests though...man are they brutal (especially Carnevale).

SumGamer

I almost backed that, so sad it didn't quite work out.

I think I recall somewhere a draft system to remove the luck for a 2 player game?

The rulebook stated the simultaneous hand drafting system for 3-4 players and turn based drafting for two which kinda make senses. The rule where each of us must pick card from at least three categories face-down makes the game less dynamic imo. I can't just go field/livestock heavy then saving a lot for structure late game. The game kinda force you to build everything as you go along the years. So we ended up doing the same thing with very little difference.

MZoon

Neo Member
Half of my games are social deduction/bluffing games. Got a card marked pretty bad recently so I decided to get sleeves, sadly Amazon doesn't have a good sleeve collection that ships internationally and all other sites have absurd international shipping (that happens to be much worse than Amazon's). I guess I'll just wear these games out :(

borghe

First scenario or first campaign? B/c first scenario I think you can do with a little finagling. That said, I play Arkham games solo every once in a while but never with a single investigator. I really feel like LCG in particular is quite tuned to 2P, more so than any other Arkham game is for a single player count. It's probably a touch too hard at 1P and you miss out on fun interactions, and 3P though I've done like seven games at that count I find it consistently a bit too long. Difficulty (not story) spoilers though:
The campaign difficulty really ramps up into 2, and then 3 even more so. I'd suggest going with at least 2 just to give yourself a fighting chance.

The POD sidequests though...man are they brutal (especially Carnevale).

campaign, sorry. yeah I actually finished the first scenario with 2 characters on normal.

2nd scenario I was basically "I don't know how I am going to come out of this in a good way" and third scenario I failed.

played everything again and ended up in basically the same spot. haven't had a try on easy yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I would play with two investigators for sure. Or proxy second core cards and grab one of the solo decks on Arkhamdb. Personally I'd always recommend strongly against single investigator in any Arkham game but I guess people are into it as is definitely clear from arkhamdb, where most of the top decks are solo. To be fair you can't really make a stock multiplayer deck because you need to know your teammates and their decks as well as your scenario. One of the best parts about deckbuilding in this game tbh.

XShagrath

Arkham: LCG is very doable solo with one investigator if you are willing to bump the difficulty down to easy. I was able to get through everything relatively unscathed with Wendy, even though I didn't get the best resolution in each scenario.

EYEL1NER

Caveman Curling just arrived and has been stickered and played twice already. We cleared off the coffee table and rolled it out. My wife, daughter, and I each took 6-12 practice shots to get a feel for how the pieces slide over the material and then went at it. We played two games that were supposed to be Best of Three Rounds.

The first game was my wife and daughter teaming up to face me. My daughter had to use a flick assisted by her thumb rather than a PitchCar flick, since she wasn't strong enough to get a piece passed the Mammoth Line, so her shots went wild most of the time. I scored a point in the first round of play on an early turn, the girls scored a point on the second round of play to tie it up, and then I scored a point in the third to win it.

The second round was just my wife facing me. She was quite a bit better without our daughter holding her back. On the first round she scored three whole points. The second round saw her scoring two points, to take her total up to five. I knew things were dire at this point and that I would need to tie it up or land all six stones in scoring position to win. That third round had me score the five I needed to tie my wife. Halfway through it she started to choke (performance-wise) and that led to her being really frustrated in the "tie-breaker" fourth round, since her sure-fire win was now not as certain. I landed a stone in the fire with some good blockers early on in the fourth round while she overshot or knocked her pieces out of good positions. On the last stone of the game, one of my rethrows from a totem special power, I barely nudged it passed the line so as to avoid taking a risk with a stronger shot and ruining it all. The game was over with me victorious, 6-5.

I found the game to be a lot of fun and plan to take it to the board game store for game night in ten minutes or so, along with Santorini and some random other game. It would be a great beer and pretzels kind of game and makes me wish I had a lot of friends who came over for beers and dexterity games. This, combined with PitchCar and Flick Em Up, would make for a loud and rowdy night. The game captures the essence of curling pretty well (IMO anyway, I've never curled, but I watch it on TV from time to time and have read a lot about the sport, its origins, and the rules. I would love to play it IRL one day). I'm very glad that I picked this up, and at $15 too (from the Eagle-Gryphon Games holiday sale). I would recommend the game to anyone who like Crokinole or other dex games that require flicking.

EDIT: A couple pics of the final round of Game 2 where I snapped up the one point I needed to break the 5pt tie and win.

Some more quick opinions/impressions:
The game has decent components. The wooden stones are a bit light but do not feel cheap because of it. The stickers and discs are of a good size too; I didn't get them on perfectly but there isn't a ton of space left over on any one part of an edge and the sticker color and wood color match up decently, so they don't look horrible (I get so anxious over stickering components that I refuse to buy a new copy of C&C Ancients; I'll only buy a used copy that has been stickered by someone with less shaky hands and better eyesight). The mat is made of paper but some special paper that feels stronger than a loose leaf sheet of notebook paper. The wooden discs slide really well across it. The mat also has humorous artwork that is reminiscent of Where's Waldo.
I like it a lot.

Protome

Someone proposed this trade to me, should I pull the trigger?

My new Deception: Murder in Hong Kong for his used Dominion (2008), Mafia de Cuba and Bang The Dice Game.

That's a pretty good trade.
Although personally I would stick with Deception just because I like it more than those other games.

KJ869

Now that their store isn't dead

Level 99 games is offering a free game called disc duelers for holidays with code CHRISTMAS2016

http://lvl99games.us2.list-manage.c...af4142bab287bb1d50&id=aa1826f9c7&e=448db49cb3

Just pay shipping when for me was a little over $8

24 for europe.. Intrestingly Im almost more wondering is it worth my limited selfspace than money these days. 6.8 bgg. Any experiences by anybody?

Just calculated Kingdom Death gameplay content (excluding crossover and few cards in pinups of the death) is 1290 if you take 750 ancinet lantern+new expanions addons.. Im hoping the gamer bundle that pooch probaly is adding in the end will be even littlebit more reasonable..

Blank!

Similar experience here too. We played it a few times, won the first and second times, then lost the next 2. Various # of players, less players seemed harder than more players (may be confirmation bias at work).

Went online later to read more about the game and seems like most people hate the game because it's a RNG-fest. Turns out, we were also playing it wrong (we were staying at "River" tiles until someone rolled an even not just that player's turn... couple other rules we broke too). Was still fun with the kids though. I don't imagine we'll revisit it all too often.

Highlight is dying and getting to write something funny on your tombstone and actually winning. It's pretty high stress at all times because death is so fickle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Similar experience here too. We played it a few times, won the first and second times, then lost the next 2. Various # of players, less players seemed harder than more players (may be confirmation bias at work).

Went online later to read more about the game and seems like most people hate the game because it's a RNG-fest. Turns out, we were also playing it wrong (we were staying at "River" tiles until someone rolled an even not just that player's turn... couple other rules we broke too). Was still fun with the kids though. I don't imagine we'll revisit it all too often.

Highlight is dying and getting to write something funny on your tombstone and actually winning. It's pretty high stress at all times because death is so fickle.

There are so many good designers out there that it's a real bummer when companies with a good (imo) license kind of waste it on a mediocre game. I guess this is why Eric Lang has 10B games/year. Even though I'm not generally his biggest fan, he does have a way of making any license at least a competent game.

EYEL1NER

Caveman Curling is amazing, it should be more popular.
I edited my previous post with a couple pics and a few opinions of the component quality. I enjoyed playing it and it seems like a game that my wife and I'll play often. I didn't get to play it at game night tonight though; I played three games of Santorini against someone and then a game of Cthulu Munchkin when more people showed up.

Blizzard

Banned
Now that their store isn't dead

Level 99 games is offering a free game called disc duelers for holidays with code CHRISTMAS2016

http://lvl99games.us2.list-manage.c...af4142bab287bb1d50&id=aa1826f9c7&e=448db49cb3

Just pay shipping when for me was a little over $8
Did the deal run out? I don't get an error, but the total doesn't change when I try entering the coupon code.

*edit* I tried two different browsers and even created an account on the website. It's either gone or not working for me. It looks like an interesting party-ish game so I'm a little bummed, but thanks for the heads up.

Aaron

Got Eketorp on the cheap from Amazon. Haven't had the chance to play it yet, but going over the rules I'm surprised how virtually no one on the internet has played this game. Good components and just enough depth for a semi-casual hour either at the start of a night or winding down one. I tried to play Red Dragon Inn to wind down a night last time, and there's way too much card reading for that. Plus gambling rules make no sense.

Did the deal run out? I don't get an error, but the total doesn't change when I try entering the coupon code.

*edit* I tried two different browsers and even created an account on the website. It's either gone or not working for me. It looks like an interesting party-ish game so I'm a little bummed, but thanks for the heads up.

Their store website is kinda garbage it took me 3 days before I could place my order.

EYEL1NER

Their store website is kinda garbage it took me 3 days before I could place my order.
I believe that when they had site problems when they had a holiday sale last month. It was posted on the Hot Deals subforum of BGG and people went to check out what they had, but then people were reporting that they were showing login info for other people when they went to log in and had other people's items in their cart and stuff. People were cautioned to wait a few days before trying.
I can't really remember what the sale was and none of the items I got were on sale, but I got the Juno and Super Skull Man promos for Exceed and the Pixel Tactics playmat at that time. They definitely need to take care of some things website wise, like how I receive an email saying that my "Kickstarter items have shipped" anytime they send me anything I buy (like with this free game, my email says that my Kickstarter items are on the way). I know Brad and co went through some rough stuff business-wise last year though and are just now firmly back on their feet, so I could imagine website woes are not high on the list of things to fix, especially when most of their business is probably done through Kickstarter anyway.

I wrote up a long review of Karuba but then my phone lost it :(

So I'll just say "pretty chill family game, recommended".
Great for the collection when you just want to unwind, something that can be missing from a lot of modern games.

I believe that when they had site problems when they had a holiday sale last month. It was posted on the Hot Deals subforum of BGG and people went to check out what they had, but then people were reporting that they were showing login info for other people when they went to log in and had other people's items in their cart and stuff. People were cautioned to wait a few days before trying.
I can't really remember what the sale was and none of the items I got were on sale, but I got the Juno and Super Skull Man promos for Exceed and the Pixel Tactics playmat at that time. They definitely need to take care of some things website wise, like how I receive an email saying that my "Kickstarter items have shipped" anytime they send me anything I buy (like with this free game, my email says that my Kickstarter items are on the way). I know Brad and co went through some rough stuff business-wise last year though and are just now firmly back on their feet, so I could imagine website woes are not high on the list of things to fix, especially when most of their business is probably done through Kickstarter anyway.

Fwiw they said 2017 was going to have a move to a new server to better handle the traffic during the holidays.

Blizzard

Banned
It says only 10 left. I put in a support request but haven't received a response, and several people on Reddit also reported the code not working. I think I just ran out of luck.

Blizzard, you got a shout out in this top 10 list for your Feast for Odin solo competition:

https://youtu.be/LxDuDj9QJwo?t=35m41s
Thanks! Someone on BGG told me about that too. I know there aren't many people participating right now, but it's been a really neat experience. I'm not even 20% through the starting occupations thus far.

Top Bottom