• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Experien

Bought a Destiny Booster from FLGS because MM won't send me my Booster Box. Got a Legendary Die for red but means nothing to me since I can't play it without another set. FLGS also had 3 Booster Boxes but they were $50 more expensive (no discount) than MM. not sure if that is worth it.

Yeah, I love L99 Games and have recently fallen in love with dexterity games (or fallen in love with the idea of dexterity games, I haven't played enough yet to know for sure how I feel) but I wouldn't have ever spent $40 on it. The amount of wood might be what jacks the price of it so high, which is a shame. It definitely seems more like a game that should be in the $14.99 to $19.99 range, a filler title with light rules and short playtime that requires you use your own items that are laying around as terrain. I'm still glad that I got it though. Just need 7-Card Slugfest, two of the Exceed boxes, and Argent (plus expansions) and I'll have pretty much everything from L99 Games.

Now that I'm caught up on PT (minus the promo cards which I'm working on) what do you think is the next best level 99 games game?

XShagrath

FFG has put street dates on their Upcoming page now. Looks like Dunwich Legacy (AH:LCG) and Beyond the Threshold (MoM) are slated for 1/12.

EYEL1NER

Now that I'm caught up on PT (minus the promo cards which I'm working on) what do you think is the next best level 99 games game?
Take this statement with a grain of salt, because I haven't played my copy of Pixel Tactics (I own all of it, minus a couple of the first promos they made), but BattleCON is the best game that they make. It is the best recreation on a tabletop of a 2D fighting game that I have seen so far. It has a mix of open and hidden information, bluffing, trying to read your opponent, and then the actual gameplay involving positioning, avoiding or mitigating damage with the "Ante" system, and more. The game has a roster size at this point that would make the Marvel vs Capcom series envious and each character is different from another and has their own tricks and strategies. I've played BattleCON: War of Indines and BattleCON: Fate of Indines so far and they are great self-contained boxes that aren't too horribly imbalanced. I believe Devastation of Indines is widely-regarded as being the best box so far and there is an absolutely huge amount of content in that box (including a solo Dungeon Quest mode with a story and loot that you gain as you progress further through through the dungeon and defeat more enemies), but I have yet to play any of Devastation because it is too much content; I'm waiting for the upcoming announcement of the Big Box storage solution so I can finally manage it all and get it sorted out.

I mentioned before that the War and Fate boxes are not too imbalanced: the War: Revised Edition that came out last year fixed a lot of balance issues and while some still remain with the cast when looked at as a whole, the tournament scene and hardcore players are quick to come up with great patches and errata while waiting for Brad and Co to create official rulings and fixes. Fate is the most recent box to be released (Trials of Indines will be coming out hopefully early 2017) and may be the cheapest one to try out. It has a diverse and eclectic stable of characters, to include a dapper skeleton, a werewolf who is the sibling of a character from Devastation, a Magical Girl character who is actually part of a race of Eldritch abominations from beyond that stars and can morph into different forms during the game, and (my favorite to play) an artificially-created steel elemental woman who has an evolution board that allows you to get significantly stronger as the game goes on if you evolve on the right tracks.
There is also a digital version of the game that I believe will offer a Killer Instinct-style "One Free Fighter on Rotation" model, but I'm not entirely sure what the business model is; I took a look at the Kickstarter and to get all the characters and costumes along with future seasons was over $100, and I would have been playing exclusively on mobile and not PC, so I 'noped' out of that one.

They are about to conclude their pre-season League Play that runs until the end of the year. League Play allows you to record your play and win info online and you earn points which you can redeem for promos. So if you live somewhere with some people who would regularly play the game, there is some cool support from L99 for stuff like that. They also did a pre-season for Exceed and will incorporate Pixel Tactics into the official first season next year. The BattleCON line has a few fans here on GAF, though I think some of them have the same problem I have: no one to play it with often. It is L99's biggest and best game series though and does have some large events that happen in bigger cities; I know there was a cool fan-ran tournament that ran in Atlanta recently where they were giving out Evil Hikaru promos, but I couldn't justify the 4+ hour drive to go to it (and I found a seller on BGG who parted with his Evil Hikaru promo).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FFG has put street dates on their Upcoming page now. Looks like Dunwich Legacy (AH:LCG) and Beyond the Threshold (MoM) are slated for 1/12.

Nice to see Dunwich with a date as it was supposed to be December originally and it's holding up a bunch of games for me at CSI :p. (Also I want to build stronger decks to handle some of the sidequests, in addition to playing through Dunwich of course.)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bought a Destiny Booster from FLGS because MM won't send me my Booster Box. Got a Legendary Die for red but means nothing to me since I can't play it without another set. FLGS also had 3 Booster Boxes but they were $50 more expensive (no discount) than MM. not sure if that is worth it.

Yeah, MM hosed lots of people with "December" orders. Out there selling singles (which admittedly are BANK right now) instead...

You can order from Canada and have in about a week (or less).

http://store.401games.ca/catalog/80...y-card-and-dice-game---awakenings-booster-box

75 dollar boxes after currency conversion. Basically 2 dollars and some change per pack.

Not sure how much longer the single market will stay this hot (if a ton of product hits in the next couple weeks) - but for now, outside of starter deck rares, packs pay for themselves and then some.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, MM hosed lots of people with "December" orders. Out there selling singles (which admittedly are BANK right now) instead...

You can order from Canada and have in about a week (or less).

http://store.401games.ca/catalog/80...y-card-and-dice-game---awakenings-booster-box

75 dollar boxes after currency conversion. Basically 2 dollars and some change per pack.

Not sure how much longer the single market will stay this hot (if a ton of product hits in the next couple weeks) - but for now, outside of starter deck rares, packs pay for themselves and then some.

I'm happy the game seems to be doing so well as it's a genuinely fun design, but bummed out about the supply issues as I think it might keep casuals out, who really should be the core audience and ideally would get involved in the tournament scene too a little.

Good news is I have a local shop doing a tournament (six rounds--double the recommended number :p) with the first game kit in mid-Jan. so excited for that regardless, now just need to get more practice in against different decks.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm happy the game seems to be doing so well as it's a genuinely fun design, but bummed out about the supply issues as I think it might keep casuals out, who really should be the core audience and ideally would get involved in the tournament scene too a little.

Good news is I have a local shop doing a tournament (six rounds--double the recommended number :p) with the first game kit in mid-Jan. so excited for that regardless, now just need to get more practice in against different decks.

long term it'll be fine. supply constraints might actually be a good thing right now in terms of "hype"

once the flood hits in Jan I think there will be plenty of product,

It also creates a crazy opportunity to get into this game very cheaply if you're willing to invest in a bulk amounts of cards (which are available), and deal with listing and shipping them

XShagrath

Nice to see Dunwich with a date as it was supposed to be December originally and it's holding up a bunch of games for me at CSI :p. (Also I want to build stronger decks to handle some of the sidequests, in addition to playing through Dunwich of course.)
Yeah, it was holding up my mom's xmas order as well. She ended up calling them and canceling it and got everything the next day though. She got me Rougarou, and CSI had one copy of Carnevale on the shelves when I went in to grab some other stuff, so I'm all caught up for the time being. I haven't run through either of the sidequests yet though. My friend and I are two deep in the campaign, so next time we play, we'll probably do both PODs before finishing up the core campaign.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, it was holding up my mom's xmas order as well. She ended up calling them and canceling it and got everything the next day though. She got me Rougarou, and CSI had one copy of Carnevale on the shelves when I went in to grab some other stuff, so I'm all caught up for the time being. I haven't run through either of the sidequests yet though. My friend and I are two deep in the campaign, so next time we play, we'll probably do both PODs before finishing up the core campaign.

That's a good idea. I'd say do Rougarou first then Carnevale. Rougarou can be tough depending on how you choose to tackle it, but Carnevale is something else.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Amazon just delivered Dead of Winter: The Long Night

The box is....heavy. I'm a little intimidated. But the SU&SD review made this game look really fun so hopefully it's not too hard to learn.

I would put Dead of Winter at a heavy mediumweight. It's actually a touch fiddlier and more rules intensive than the reviews and game itself might lead you to believe. Still a fair deal easier than Battlestar Galactica though. For your first game, I'd strongly recommend not including any of the optional modules from Long Night. Once you play a few rounds of base, you'll realize it's actually pretty straightforward. I actually didn't get Long Night even though I like DoW because I didn't want to add any more layers to the game, which already has a healthy amount for what I consider kind of a party game. If you can swing it, I'd also play with 4 or even 3 to start. It gets long with 5 (which is fine as long as everyone knows that -- first game with 5 can run 2-3 hours depending).

Take this statement with a grain of salt, because I haven't played my copy of Pixel Tactics (I own all of it, minus a couple of the first promos they made), but BattleCON is the best game that they make. It is the best recreation on a tabletop of a 2D fighting game that I have seen so far. It has a mix of open and hidden information, bluffing, trying to read your opponent, and then the actual gameplay involving positioning, avoiding or mitigating damage with the "Ante" system, and more. The game has a roster size at this point that would make the Marvel vs Capcom series envious and each character is different from another and has their own tricks and strategies. I've played BattleCON: War of Indines and BattleCON: Fate of Indines so far and they are great self-contained boxes that aren't too horribly imbalanced. I believe Devastation of Indines is widely-regarded as being the best box so far and there is an absolutely huge amount of content in that box (including a solo Dungeon Quest mode with a story and loot that you gain as you progress further through through the dungeon and defeat more enemies), but I have yet to play any of Devastation because it is too much content; I'm waiting for the upcoming announcement of the Big Box storage solution so I can finally manage it all and get it sorted out.

I mentioned before that the War and Fate boxes are not too imbalanced: the War: Revised Edition that came out last year fixed a lot of balance issues and while some still remain with the cast when looked at as a whole, the tournament scene and hardcore players are quick to come up with great patches and errata while waiting for Brad and Co to create official rulings and fixes. Fate is the most recent box to be released (Trials of Indines will be coming out hopefully early 2017) and may be the cheapest one to try out. It has a diverse and eclectic stable of characters, to include a dapper skeleton, a werewolf who is the sibling of a character from Devastation, a Magical Girl character who is actually part of a race of Eldritch abominations from beyond that stars and can morph into different forms during the game, and (my favorite to play) an artificially-created steel elemental woman who has an evolution board that allows you to get significantly stronger as the game goes on if you evolve on the right tracks.
There is also a digital version of the game that I believe will offer a Killer Instinct-style "One Free Fighter on Rotation" model, but I'm not entirely sure what the business model is; I took a look at the Kickstarter and to get all the characters and costumes along with future seasons was over $100, and I would have been playing exclusively on mobile and not PC, so I 'noped' out of that one.

They are about to conclude their pre-season League Play that runs until the end of the year. League Play allows you to record your play and win info online and you earn points which you can redeem for promos. So if you live somewhere with some people who would regularly play the game, there is some cool support from L99 for stuff like that. They also did a pre-season for Exceed and will incorporate Pixel Tactics into the official first season next year. The BattleCON line has a few fans here on GAF, though I think some of them have the same problem I have: no one to play it with often. It is L99's biggest and best game series though and does have some large events that happen in bigger cities; I know there was a cool fan-ran tournament that ran in Atlanta recently where they were giving out Evil Hikaru promos, but I couldn't justify the 4+ hour drive to go to it (and I found a seller on BGG who parted with his Evil Hikaru promo).

Well 1 you should REALLY play Pixel Tactics

And 2 thats a lot of info o_o I guess I'll look into battlecon I'm sure you said it in their somewhere but whats the best box to start with? Does the game have a pixel tactics deluxe nice storage box or are all the games separte things at this point? If a kickstarter for a battlecon deluxe edition is coming I might wait for it.

EYEL1NER

Well 1 you should REALLY play Pixel Tactics

And 2 thats a lot of info o_o I guess I'll look into battlecon I'm sure you said it in their somewhere but whats the best box to start with? Does the game have a pixel tactics deluxe nice storage box or are all the games separte things at this point? If a kickstarter for a battlecon deluxe edition is coming I might wait for it.
I will get around to playing PT sometime soon. I sorted all five sets and promos into the DX box sometime early in the summer and then ordered a playmat from L99 a few weeks ago but haven't bothered learning how to play yet.

There is no DX-style storage box for BattleCON yet and the individual boxes are nightmares to store the cards in if you want them separated and ready for playing. A custom big box storage solution has been a stretch goal for the last two Kickstarter campaigns but the goals weren't reached. A ton of people have expressed interest in the box though and Brad said that there will probably be a campaign for such a solution towards the first half of this year. He said a couple weeks back that he was going to check with the manufacturer on some things and then give us (the BattleCON: Fate backers) an update, which we are still waiting on. A box was created at one point and it was awarded to the winner of a major tournament (might have been at GenCon). I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for news on the box and will throw any amount of money at it. I think one of the things that Brad has said (which could still change) in addition to the box fitting all previous base game cards but not promos, and the box having space for future cards, is that the Kickstarter campaign for the box will more than likely be for only the box. They've gone overboard with add-ons, stretch goals, and large quantities of pledge tiers in the past and it has made things hard for them and cost them more money (when pledges inevitably get screwed up and people don't get the right thing), so they want to simplify their campaigns. EDIT: Here is a comment from a couple hours ago though, for Ithry (a L99 Games employee who posts on BGG and KS campaigns a lot): "I believe Brad mentioned this in the comments earlier, but we're planning on running a Kickstarter for the BattleCON storage box sometime in 2017. As we don't have too many details on this yet, we didn't mention it in the newsletter."

The best box of the three that are out is supposed to be Devastation but it just has such a large amount of content. Which is great and all, but it does overwhelm some people and turn them off. Brad has even acknowledged such and said that the eventual remastered version of Devastation will have less content and possibly be broken down into smaller cheaper boxes.

For buying a version of the game, I don't think you could go wrong with War: Remastered or Fate. There is the old version of War still floating around out there from second-hand sellers but the Remastered version is the way to go since the card layout and formatting is all updated to what will be the standard going forward. Fate has some interesting characters, like I mentioned before. But War is kind of the "standard" version of the game with some of the most straight-forward-to-play characters, and with it being the first game, is probably the best jumping on point.

If you did want to try the game though and do any PnP games, L99 has a simple PnP file with four characters for free on their site: http://www.level99games.com/downloads/file/free-downloads/battlecon-print-and-play-preview.html

Fewr

Stone Age Jr. is great for teaching a kid 5-7 about worker placement, but it's not a deep game at all. So KoT is flat better if by "family" you mean adults and kids. I actually play KoT with my 5-y-o, just handle explaining to her what the cards do and giving recommendations about them, but she can handle everything else on her own.

Thanks for the recommendation. In the end, neither were available at the store when I got there, they say since it's christmas time the inventory moves super fast.

I got codenames and sushi go. I'll get to see tomorrow if they work with my family.

zulux21

*gets grimslingers from a coolstuffinc order*
*discovers that they sent two of the same pack and thus is missing a pack of cards*
*sighs*
*contacts support*

:(

Neverfade

Did you buy from here? Are you in the US?
What I'm getting at here is if there are any taxes/fees I'll be paying by importing?

Aaron

Amazon just delivered Dead of Winter: The Long Night

The box is....heavy. I'm a little intimidated. But the SU&SD review made this game look really fun so hopefully it's not too hard to learn.
Don't be intimidated. Just bought this myself, and played a couple rounds with my girlfriend, who basically has never played a board game before (but loves zombies). It takes a while to set up, and there's so many steps and rules that you're bound to be forgetting things repeatedly, but the core game isn't that complex if you exclude all the optional stuff. It's challenging but that makes winning really fun.

I will get around to playing PT sometime soon. I sorted all five sets and promos into the DX box sometime early in the summer and then ordered a playmat from L99 a few weeks ago but haven't bothered learning how to play yet.

There is no DX-style storage box for BattleCON yet and the individual boxes are nightmares to store the cards in if you want them separated and ready for playing. A custom big box storage solution has been a stretch goal for the last two Kickstarter campaigns but the goals weren't reached. A ton of people have expressed interest in the box though and Brad said that there will probably be a campaign for such a solution towards the first half of this year. He said a couple weeks back that he was going to check with the manufacturer on some things and then give us (the BattleCON: Fate backers) an update, which we are still waiting on. A box was created at one point and it was awarded to the winner of a major tournament (might have been at GenCon). I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for news on the box and will throw any amount of money at it. I think one of the things that Brad has said (which could still change) in addition to the box fitting all previous base game cards but not promos, and the box having space for future cards, is that the Kickstarter campaign for the box will more than likely be for only the box. They've gone overboard with add-ons, stretch goals, and large quantities of pledge tiers in the past and it has made things hard for them and cost them more money (when pledges inevitably get screwed up and people don't get the right thing), so they want to simplify their campaigns. EDIT: Here is a comment from a couple hours ago though, for Ithry (a L99 Games employee who posts on BGG and KS campaigns a lot): "I believe Brad mentioned this in the comments earlier, but we're planning on running a Kickstarter for the BattleCON storage box sometime in 2017. As we don't have too many details on this yet, we didn't mention it in the newsletter."

The best box of the three that are out is supposed to be Devastation but it just has such a large amount of content. Which is great and all, but it does overwhelm some people and turn them off. Brad has even acknowledged such and said that the eventual remastered version of Devastation will have less content and possibly be broken down into smaller cheaper boxes.

For buying a version of the game, I don't think you could go wrong with War: Remastered or Fate. There is the old version of War still floating around out there from second-hand sellers but the Remastered version is the way to go since the card layout and formatting is all updated to what will be the standard going forward. Fate has some interesting characters, like I mentioned before. But War is kind of the "standard" version of the game with some of the most straight-forward-to-play characters, and with it being the first game, is probably the best jumping on point.

If you did want to try the game though and do any PnP games, L99 has a simple PnP file with four characters for free on their site: http://www.level99games.com/downloads/file/free-downloads/battlecon-print-and-play-preview.html

I trust l99 and Brad to yolo buy battlecon and his other games going forward when money permits. I guess I'll just get war remastered in the short run and wait to see what the official plans for devistation remastered and the collection box are.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Sweet, thanks. Even with shipping it looks like it's going to come out to CSI prices anyway. Might was well pull the trigger.

maybe if you just buy one box.

I think I averaged 78 dollars a box / 2.16 a booster shipped from them. Terrific pricing due to the weak loonie

I'm getting on a DIY kick lately. I did an origami version of Zendo a couple of months ago and now I'm making a DIY version of Insider and I'll probably do a DIY of Spyfall. I like the idea of coming up with my own words/locations for these types of games and they are fun relatively simple projects. Have you guys done any DIY? Making games, game accessories or storage?

Blizzard

Banned
I still have a Christmas gaming report to give at some point soon.

I also finally gave in because of the Miniature Market indefinite delay (they didn't get some of their Robinson Crusoe shipments). I ordered off Amazon for a higher price instead. Unfortunately that was supposed to ship today and it's still not listed as shipped, so I'm hoping it doesn't ALSO end up in a weird delay situation. :p

JSR_Cube

Well, I won't be playing anything tonight, so this will likely be my yearly stats:

ib6SMOt.jpg

108 plays in total. Not a bad year for gaming.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I made a trade with a guy on Reddit yesterday. I traded Twilight Struggle for Runebound 2e and I couldn't be happier.

Welcome home sweet prince.

I am one of those weird people who loved Runebound 2e. Hands down my absolute most favorite game of all time. I'm sad I traded it years ago. Eventually I'll rebuild my collection. Also Twilight Struggle is easier to play on Steam haha.

fenners

How was Lorenzo? Did you pick it up at Essen?

I'm not JSR_Cube, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely a euro worker placement variant, but it's ridiculously tight, with tons of options of direction, with some neat mechanics for paying costs & engine building.

CMON are bringing it to the US soon, I believe.

Played a game of Monarch, for the first time. Eh, I think it's a mediocre game of that ilk. The feminist aims are window dressing and don't come across strongly enough. Low player interaction so the mechanics need to be engrossing enough to compensate. Some lovely art that isn't incorporated super well with the overall graphic design. The land tiles were a mistake, poor readability from a distance.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hi all! Newcomer here, first time posting in the thread!

I purchased Boss Monster for my wife for our anniversary, a couple of weeks ago. Since then we have LOVED IT! I recently bought the Tools of Hero Kind Expansion (awesome!), Paper and Pixels expansion, and Boss Monster 2 arrived yesterday.

Combining all the cards from BM1 and BM2 and Paper Pixels and Tools + makes for a really really enjoyable game! There's so much variety, it feels like you'll never run into the same dungeon setup after hundreds of games. My wife and I have a few "house rules" that we think make the game more fun. It helps because my wife is REALLY good and is always beating me at the game, so she wants to keep on playing and I want to keep on playing because I want to win!

... I also bough Love Letter (played it before with a friend) and it's fun with a group, but after researching, I wish that I had purchased "Coup" since it sounds like a better version of Love Letter. I only recently got started on table top gaming after a friend introduced me to Splendor. Which I really loved, then really got bored of. After about ten games of Splendor, there isn't much variety to the game and you're going through the same motions again in every game. I feel like Boss Monster with all the expansions is perfect. There's so much variety and strategy and the game plays out relatively quickly.

... I'm thinking of getting Pandemic or Carcassone for my wife for our next game. Although reading about 7 Wonders Duel, I'm also interested in that. I'm looking for solid two player experiences.

I hope to be purchasing more table top games than video games in 2017. It's great for my wife and I discover a new hobby we can enjoy together!

Lupercal

Banned
Played some 2 player Blood Rage last night.
Didn't draft because our first times.

First game lasted about an hour and I got 78 pts.

Second game was 37 min and I got 139 pts, my friend had 69 pts.

Is this normal with 2? We didn't battle to much but I got real lucky with having lots of quests. He had 3 monsters but couldn't afford deploying them all so he had to keep chasing me. I was more mobile and just kept pillaging.

Taborcarn

I had a mule pick it up for me. I like it a lot. It's not perfect but it is a tight game with almost no downtime. You can also get the game done pretty quickly and it scales fairly well with 3 or 4.

I'm not JSR_Cube, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely a euro worker placement variant, but it's ridiculously tight, with tons of options of direction, with some neat mechanics for paying costs & engine building.

CMON are bringing it to the US soon, I believe.

That's good to hear. I've been looking forward to this one, but the Heavy Cardboard podcast has really dumped on it. Even named it the #1 disappointment of the year. But I'll hold off till the CMON release to make any judgement. (Who am I kidding, I'll probably get it anyway. Marco Polo and Grand Austria Hotel are two of my favorites).

Mr.Towel

Just bought the Arkham Horror card game from my local shop (nice to see 401 get some rec around here earlier!) and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to when to play the stand alones. Should you play through the campaign once or twice to get a feel for the game, then add in the stand alones between scenarios for later games? Or should they be played removed from the campaign? I'd probably be sticking with the prebuilt starters rather than building custom decks, so I get the feeling the stand alones would be more difficult on their own rather than being tackled with mid-campaign decks. Anyone have any advice?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well, I won't be playing anything tonight, so this will likely be my yearly stats:

108 plays in total. Not a bad year for gaming.

Nice! Just started logging in late April, but had 317 plays of 123 different games with 49 players (so close!) in 11 locations. Hanabi took the cake easily in terms of number of plays (18), but Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror: The Card Game were what I spent the most time on (~22 hours each). Excited to be able to log a full year next year and have made a hardcore 10x10 challenge too with a good mix of games. I'll cut off the list at my top 25 since I played a lot of different games :p

My top 3 new games for 2016 (caveat being that my one blindspot is the long euros that dominate such lists usually):
1. Arkham Horror: The Card Game (the culmination of Arkham gaming in terms of melding mechanics and story)
2. Star Wars: Destiny (surprise hit for my family -- probably the best light "dueling"-type game -- and will get me back into tournament gaming, which I'm really excited about)
3. Oceanos (game is being crazy overlooked -- it's a fantastic gateway drafting game; even better than Sushi Go imo though I love Sushi Go)

... I'm thinking of getting Pandemic or Carcassone for my wife for our next game. Although reading about 7 Wonders Duel, I'm also interested in that. I'm looking for solid two player experiences.
Cool! I started gaming with my wife almost ten years ago and it's insane how good things have gotten in the 2p light- to mediumweight space. Let's just say we used to play a lot of Battle Line and Lost Cities back in the day, and while fantastic games the variety you have now is fantastic. I would say for next game don't even worry too much about mechanics, but more just a theme you'll both enjoy. Duel is an amazing game if you think you'll be up for it. I'd also throw out Patchwork, Raptor, and Pandemic: The Cure for consideration.

Just bought the Arkham Horror card game from my local shop (nice to see 401 get some rec around here earlier!) and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to when to play the stand alones. Should you play through the campaign once or twice to get a feel for the game, then add in the stand alones between scenarios for later games? Or should they be played removed from the campaign? I'd probably be sticking with the prebuilt starters rather than building custom decks, so I get the feeling the stand alones would be more difficult on their own rather than being tackled with mid-campaign decks. Anyone have any advice?

The standalones are pretty tough (Carnevale more so than Rougarou), so if you're still playing with starters you might want to hold off on them. Unless you're playing on Easy in which case they're maybe manageable (have only played on Normal myself, but that's with constructed decks). With a good deck you can do Rougarou off of either the first or second quest (I don't think a starter would be good enough to handle either scenario in Standalone) but Carnevale, man, it's tough.

Cat Party

I purchased Boss Monster for my wife for our anniversary, a couple of weeks ago. Since then we have LOVED IT! I recently bought the Tools of Hero Kind Expansion (awesome!), Paper and Pixels expansion, and Boss Monster 2 arrived yesterday.

Combining all the cards from BM1 and BM2 and Paper Pixels and Tools + makes for a really really enjoyable game! There's so much variety, it feels like you'll never run into the same dungeon setup after hundreds of games. My wife and I have a few "house rules" that we think make the game more fun. It helps because my wife is REALLY good and is always beating me at the game, so she wants to keep on playing and I want to keep on playing because I want to win!

... I also bough Love Letter (played it before with a friend) and it's fun with a group, but after researching, I wish that I had purchased "Coup" since it sounds like a better version of Love Letter. I only recently got started on table top gaming after a friend introduced me to Splendor. Which I really loved, then really got bored of. After about ten games of Splendor, there isn't much variety to the game and you're going through the same motions again in every game. I feel like Boss Monster with all the expansions is perfect. There's so much variety and strategy and the game plays out relatively quickly.

I hope to be purchasing more table top games than video games in 2017. It's great for my wife and I discover a new hobby we can enjoy together!

I had the same experience a few years ago when my wife and I discovered table top games. A new board game store opened up in my neighborhood and I just thought it'd be neat to check it out. We were hooked immediately!

7 Wonders Duel has a ton of variety, because there are multiple ways to win. It's a bit complicated the first time you play it (especially if, like me, you haven't played normal 7 Wonders), but then it becomes a lot more clear.

Carcassone is a solid 2 player game. Can't go wrong with it. Dominion is another game typically recommended for 2 players.

MZoon

Neo Member
Ordered new stuff :D :(. I'm hoping it is my last order for a while. I finally found great opaque sleeves that ship internationally on Amazon, but I ordered other stuff with them on a whim. Got For Sale since my collection lacked an auction game, it seemed fun and very simple. Also got the Coup expansion, I had a lot of fun with the base game and it is my most played game. The expansion seems to be highly praised for the new faction mechanic. I also got 7 Wonders along with the cities expansion, I wanted it so bad ever since I read about it but I held off because it might be too much for my group, I hope I don't regret it.

emag

Played some 2 player Blood Rage last night.
Didn't draft because our first times.

First game lasted about an hour and I got 78 pts.

Second game was 37 min and I got 139 pts, my friend had 69 pts.

Is this normal with 2? We didn't battle to much but I got real lucky with having lots of quests. He had 3 monsters but couldn't afford deploying them all so he had to keep chasing me. I was more mobile and just kept pillaging.

Yes, it's fast and scores vary wildly. BR isn't as much of a dudes on a map game as it is a card combo drafting game.

Lyng

Welcome to the best hobby! :D

I actually pretty much only play with my wife and its been great for the marriage.

EYEL1NER

You said that you are looking for recommendations for two-player games but said previously that you wish you had bought Coup over Love Letter. I feel like I always am recommending it to people and probably being annoying about it, but you wouldn't have seen it already if you are new, so here it is: Get either BraveRats or R. They are the same game, R was re-themed from the original Kanai-art to include anthro rats. R was created by the same guy who made Love Letter though and is pretty much "Love Letter for 2." It is entirely designed for playing with two people though and is so much better of a game for two people than Love Letter. It is also cheap, about what Love Letter costs.

Also, welcome to the hobby. Since your wife and you like Boss Monster so much, an idea for if a birthday is coming up, or maybe your next anniversary, is to get some playmats. If you poke around the Boss Monster page on BoardGameGeek, there are some fantastic-looking playmats out there that were created by site users that can be ordered on neoprene mouse mad material from printing services. They aren't really necessary but they do add a lot to the experience. There is an official playmat that exists but some of the custom ones look a lot better.

Protome

I picked up Billionaire Banshee on a whim with some christmas money and had a game of it with my girlfriend. We both enjoyed it quite a bit, very light and silly party game that can be really funny and works well with two. Definitely recommend it over things like Cards against Humanity or Joking Hazard.

Also I just played another game of Beyond Baker Street and it's one of my favourite things ever still.

mercviper

First game of AH:LCG with the wife tonight. Looks like it'll be a hit!

Funny story, I thought for a while during setup that they skipped giving me a card when it asked me to set aside Lita Chantler and I didn't see her with the rest of the cards. It wasn't til I pulled it up on cardgamedb that I saw she was an investigator card that I realized where they had grouped her.

emag

Yeah next time we're including drafting too.
The fire giant is mega OP it seems though?

The Fire Giant is really expensive (and only kills non-monsters). Maybe it's more powerful in a 2P game, as hurting your opponent is as good as helping yourself, but the power cost coupled with the timing (and limited village spaces and inability to invade the center) make it weak in a 3+ player game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also, welcome to the hobby. Since your wife and you like Boss Monster so much, an idea for if a birthday is coming up, or maybe your next anniversary, is to get some playmats. If you poke around the Boss Monster page on BoardGameGeek, there are some fantastic-looking playmats out there that were created by site users that can be ordered on neoprene mouse mad material from printing services. They aren't really necessary but they do add a lot to the experience. There is an official playmat that exists but some of the custom ones look a lot better.
Yeah, as long as you get a proper file from BGG, inkedplaymats makes absolutely beautiful mats. Better looking than the official ones you'll find most times.

First game of AH:LCG with the wife tonight. Looks like it'll be a hit!

Funny story, I thought for a while during setup that they skipped giving me a card when it asked me to set aside Lita Chantler and I didn't see her with the rest of the cards. It wasn't til I pulled it up on cardgamedb that I saw she was an investigator card that I realized where they had grouped her.
Yep haha -- happens to everyone. No idea why they did it like that as it's kind of tricky enough at first to understand setup fully.

Top Bottom