• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Palmer_v1

For the Arkham LCG, it's meant to be played as a campaign right? Does that mean you need the same set of players each time? How is it for 2 players?

edit:

I usually avoid LCG and CCG stuff, but the coop and Arkham aspects intrigue me. I just have no idea what I might be getting into here.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
you will get the most out of it (IMHO) playing through each campaign as a whole, yes. There are rules for playing scenarios individually.. but I would argue that outside of the POD scenarios, you lose a ton by making the setups and resolutions essentially meaningless.

the resolutions will basically say "mark this, this and this on your campaign log". Then in the next setup(s) it will say "if your campaign log says this, do this during setup." and that can actually carry through MANY scenarios down the line. aka your choice (or results) in one scenario don't become apparent until 1 or more scenarios down the road.

edit - I would also argue that AH is not a standard CCG. Honestly it plays much closer to a boardgame than a CCG. At minimum it's a solid genre mixup between the two. really the ONLY reason it isn't called a board game is because instead of an actual board, you layout location cards as the board instead. But you utilize location cards identical to the function of a board. It really is a board game with some CCG mechanics.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you will get the most out of it (IMHO) playing through each campaign as a whole, yes. There are rules for playing scenarios individually.. but I would argue that outside of the POD scenarios, you lose a ton by making the setups and resolutions essentially meaningless.

the resolutions will basically say "mark this, this and this on your campaign log". Then in the next setup(s) it will say "if your campaign log says this, do this during setup." and that can actually carry through MANY scenarios down the line. aka your choice (or results) in one scenario don't become apparent until 1 or more scenarios down the road.

Having played through the base campaign 4-5 times, and both of the standalones I'd say: Definitely do the full campaign once first, then with new players I'd always start with scenario 1. If you are playing with a more experienced group though you shouldn't feel too bad skipping that first scenario and grabbing XP + resolution per the rules. It's definitely the driest of all the scenarios (though a very good tutorial basically). For the POD expansions, it really comes down to how hard you want them to be. They can absolutely be played standalone but are much harder (like, Carnevale is insanely hard). You can also sidequest them, but I'd recommend sidequest after second scenario following sidequest rules (especially for Carnevale).

Also +1 to the edit re this being much more of a board game than a card game, feel-wise. It honestly feels Eldritch-like in being an offshoot from Arkham Horror just in a different direction from Eldritch (tighter narrative and imo more interesting skill checks, but much less free-roaming and procedural as a result). It has zero in common with games like Netrunner other than the deckbuilding loosely and the monthly little expansion packs.

Palmer_v1

I make no particular distinction about "board" games requiring a board(or aything else). I should maybe have prefaced by saying that I have played some pathfinder Adventures card game, as well as Legendary Encounters, so I certainly have no qualms about a game played strictly via cards.

Arkham sounds somewhat similar to Pathfinder to me. It has similar "deck/character" building, right? Then it adds variations to future campaign games based on things you did.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I make no particular distinction about "board" games requiring a board(or aything else). I should maybe have prefaced by saying that I have played some pathfinder Adventures card game, as well as Legendary Encounters, so I certainly have no qualms about a game played strictly via cards.

Arkham sounds somewhat similar to Pathfinder to me. It has similar "deck/character" building, right? Then it adds variations to future campaign games based on things you did.

Yes exactly. I haven't played Pathfinder but have seen a lot of people make that comparison.

XShagrath

Arkham absolutely kills Pathfinder in every way, in my opinion. I played through most of the first campaign for Pathfinder:ACG (the first five adventure packs, I believe). Almost every single quest and even interaction in the game was exactly the same. I didn't feel a strong narrative presence at all, and after the third or so pack, I really felt like I was just "going through the motions." Nothing you did really felt like you were progressing your character.

For those who like the game, good on ya. It just wasn't for me. Unfortunately, it took me quite a bit of time and money investment for me to come to that conclusion. I really wanted to like it, since there really wasn't anything else out there like it at the time.

Palmer_v1

Yes exactly. I haven't played Pathfinder but have seen a lot of people make that comparison.

Cool. Thanks to you and borghe for the replies!

Now my question is how good is it for 2 players? Is it possible to adjust the number of players on a per game basis while within a campaign?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Arkham absolutely kills Pathfinder in every way, in my opinion. I played through most of the first campaign for Pathfinder:ACG (the first five adventure packs, I believe). Almost every single quest and even interaction in the game was exactly the same. I didn't feel a strong narrative presence at all, and after the third or so pack, I really felt like I was just "going through the motions." Nothing you did really felt like you were progressing your character.

For those who like the game, good on ya. It just wasn't for me. Unfortunately, it took me quite a bit of time and money investment for me to come to that conclusion. I really wanted to like it, since there really wasn't anything else out there like it at the time.
conversely (based on your report), I have been shocked at the options/resolutions you are presented in Arkham. The first time you flip over an agenda card and it reads "Action: Resign" and you're like "....huh??..... why the fuck would we resign????" The variation and themes are SO wonderful in Arkham.. I love how the location cards (scenario to scenario) go from your house.. to the town.. to the woods (and the winding/confusing way the woods are done!!!!!!) Then we see that Dunwich mythos packs will take place in Dunwich, or on trains, or in a museum..

AHLCG just feels so fresh with its focus on storytelling. They've created a game engine that, when combined with the LCG model.. they can pretty much go almost anywhere with. It's like 1 part board game, 1 part CCG/LCG, 1 part choose your own adventure, 1 part RPG..

Cool. Thanks to you and borghe for the replies!

Now my question is how good is it for 2 players? Is it possible to adjust the number of players on a per game basis while within a campaign?

yes, at any time between scenarios players can drop in or out. the game is fully playable on easy with 2 players and one core. 2 players on standard difficulty or higher the general though right now is that past scenario 1 the game is REALLY difficult.

1 copy of the game supports 2 players playing with specific pairings of characters. 2 copies support 4 players working with two sets of those specific pairings, 3 players with slightly less restrictions on characters played, or 2 players with a full play set of the player cards.

in theory the difficulty can/will go down the more players and/or cards (either more core sets.. or more expansions/mythos packs) you add.

to drop in and out, they do recommend sticking characters with players.. so if one player drops out (say playing wendy), for another player to "not" come in with Wendy, but with someone else. I think this is in respect to the CCG model where you are building "your deck" that you are familiar with and know how to play. In theory there isn't a reason someone couldn't play that character. What they recommend instead is that someone come in with zero XP right at that scenario. They also have side adventure rules which I imagine(?) could be used to catch a character up by giving them XP, but the downside is you are then supposed to add X number of weaknesses for every Y amount of XP you allocate (which doesn't happen in the campaign.. you just get XP for finishing various tasks and then spend it between scenarios)

oh, all of the above is because the rules don't allow you to modify a deck once the campaign starts, aside from using XP to buy new cards.

XShagrath

For Christmas I got some sweet gate and monster token holders from Etsy. The plastic monster holders' damage the tiles.
Sweet. I got some custom wooden tokens from MeepleSource to keep track of health, sanity, clues, and then bullets, spell charges, and miscellaneous charges in AH:LCG (and I guess any of the other Arkham Files games).

zulux21

They said earlier on Facebook that they went through 200 copies between the time yesterday when they said they had a ton left and today.

I really don't know how...
I mean you couldn't make an account to order *shrugs*

oh well, I won't get to play a game once just to let it rot on my shelf.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Got my wife playing SW:Destiny which is awesome. That was a big mistake I made was not getting her into Netrunner from the jump because it would have been really fun. Basically we're alternating decks playing each side to account for any balance issues. For a while there she was stomping me in starters where I was playing with a handicapped one-die Rey (to account for the point difference) and now I beat her Luke/Ackbar with a rush Jango/Veers that was a ton of fun (and way faster than our other matches). Looking forward to trying the other side of that because using Ackbar's focus to deal six damage just with Luke's starting dice is insane. She was able to take out Jango but thankfully Veers and all his upgrades survived.

I got my wife the Jim Henson's Labyrinth game for Xmas. We didn't have any room on the shelf so I plucked a few for the next BGG Math Trade. That site is blocked for me at work so I'm trying to use my damn iphone 5S to view their forums, it's really hard on the small screen. She got me the Oregon Trail card game as a semi-joke. Anyone here play it? I have little nostalgia for the PC game but we always play little card games as we wait for people to arrive and to start off the night, this looks like it'd be fine for that

After months of sitting on the shelf, Broom Service made it to the table and was worth all of the accolades. Clever design in the brave and cowardly role selection mechanic, although it put me in a bad position early on. I made a bad brave play in round 1 that put me so far behind the table that I felt the need to keep risking it in subsequent rounds in order to catch up. The results were predictably bad. The game was excellent fun regardless.

A coworker is coming to game night on Friday and says he's ready to try one of our "real" games. Seems like Broom Service might be a great link between the Camel Ups and the Scythes so he can test the waters. I need to scrounge up some other light-mediums that would serve as a good step up.

Palmer_v1

I got my wife the Jim Henson's Labyrinth game for Xmas. We didn't have any room on the shelf so I plucked a few for the next BGG Math Trade. That site is blocked for me at work so I'm trying to use my damn iphone 5S to view their forums, it's really hard on the small screen. She got me the Oregon Trail card game as a semi-joke. Anyone here play it? I have little nostalgia for the PC game but we always play little card games as we wait for people to arrive and to start off the night, this looks like it'd be fine for that

Oregon Trail is barely a game, honestly. It simulates the PC game decently, which is to say it's basically just an exercise to see HOW you die, not IF.

KiKaL

For Christmas I got some sweet gate and monster token holders from Etsy. The plastic monster holders' damage the tiles.

The monster holders from Etsy damage the tiles? I think my wife got me the same ones a few months back for my birthday. I really like them but they do scratch the tiles : (. I saw there are some wooden ones on Etsy I might eventually switch to.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The monster holders from Etsy damage the tiles? I think my wife got me the same ones a few months back for my birthday. I really like them but they do scratch the tiles : (. I saw there are some wooden ones on Etsy I might eventually switch to.

I use the wooden ones from Etsy (ElephantCraftsShop) and they don't damage anything. I think the OP meant the plastic holders that come with the game (which definitely damage). Didn't know there were Etsy ones that damage too -- that's too bad. Highly recommend the wood for this game. I don't know if you need the gate holders or the other stuff, but the investigator stands are great.

4k8jU8S.jpg

Palmer_v1

Kinda excited about New Years. Gonna spend it with the wife, at a local game store that serves beer. Probably play some Secret Hitler and Deception: MiHK. Hope to play Captain Sonar, but not sure if anyone is bringing it. Beyond that, I have no idea.

KiKaL

I use the wooden ones from Etsy (ElephantCraftsShop) and they don't damage anything. I think the OP meant the plastic holders that come with the game (which definitely damage). Didn't know there were Etsy ones that damage too -- that's too bad. Highly recommend the wood for this game. I don't know if you need the gate holders or the other stuff, but the investigator stands are great.

Yep, those are the exact wooden ones I was talking about. Someday I will switch to them hah.

Hmm I got two order numbers from level 99 games, one from kickstarter and one from their actual website, both for disk duelers 🤔 If I do accidentally get two (free*) copies I'll feel bad not my intention fault of there shitty system.

Fireblend

Banned
I just played my first game of Netrunner. Never before has a game made me feel so not smart before
KuGsj.gif

Definitely tons to learn. I'm sure we played a couple things wrong and my brother won because I didn't realize protecting my deck was important.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just played my first game of Netrunner. Never before has a game made me feel so not smart before
KuGsj.gif

Definitely tons to learn. I'm sure we played a couple things wrong and my brother won because I didn't realize protecting my deck was important.

If you have any questions, shoot. Netrunner was pretty much my sole hobby for 2.5 years. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
what are those two side boxes?

Just deck boxes. One a promo from a Star Wars LCG tournament a while back, and the other a promo from the Destiny launch events (actually have Rey promo too...need to play her more to use it :p). I've been playing around with different storage solutions and I actually think just a small deck box might be the best as long as you throw a plastic divider in there. Fits all cards, dice, and tokens, and allows easy access and visibility for tokens in a tournament environment where you're hiding your dice. Trickier one is what to do with my whole collection, which is currently spread out over a few larger deckboxes with the dice sorted by H/V/N.

Tournament rules went up today too: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...d_tournament_regulations_v10_text_version.pdf

I asked on Reddit (rare time I get to use my account! :p) just to confirm my understanding, but looks like for the low-level game-kit tournaments the recommendation is just three rounds of swiss with a 35m time limit. On the one hand, that's sort of unfortunate because you don't get a "meaty" Netrunner-style tournament that spans over five hours in many cases, even for casual tournaments, but otoh I think this setup is really casual friendly and fits this game well. Actually have a chance of getting my wife into a few tournaments b/c it's not a 5+ hour slog for ubernerds like Netrunner tournaments were. We'll see. I think the situation is a bit awkward now because nobody seems to have much stock of starters or boosters. Good problem to have I guess but also means it might be tricky to get tournaments up and running super fast, and not a crazy amount of incentive for stores if they literally have no product to sell other than sleeves. But Game Kastle down here really doesn't give a shit about making money off their tournaments so I'm confident they'll get stuff up and running regardless and I've volunteered to TO if needed.

Ohnonono

So I played my first solo game of A Feast for Odin. I scored an 81. Not sure how that is for solo mode full game but man I had fun. So many options and I learned a good deal just during that first game. Absolutely worth the hype.

EYEL1NER

Just took a picture of what I've acquired over the last week, between Secret Santa gifts, free L99 Games giveaways, and stuff I bought (not pictured: PitchCar Extension 6, which has already been thrown into a storage box with PitchCar and the other five expansions).
Thats a lot of rules to learn. I played Caveman Curling (and detailed my thoughts on the game in here already) and hope to play Catacombs soon (it requires a lot of sorting though, since the discs and sleeved cards are all zip locked together in baggies). Forbidden Stars will probably take a while to learn, a while to find the right group who'll also learn it, and then a while to find time to play it. I don't know that I am in the mood to sticker the discs in Disc Duelers anytime soon, so that will go on the back-burner for a couple weeks. And I don't know when the hell I'll play Nika; I really did like the look of it and descriptions of how the game plays but I don't know that I would toss it onto a table before, say, Santorini any time soon.

I don't really have anything on the horizon though. I'll pick up Wave 10 of X-Wing when it arrives at the US this month (sans the TIE Striker, which I already bought). I'm thinking about getting Cash n Guns. And then I think Airborne Commander, Fugitive, and Millennium Blades: Set Rotation will be the next things that come in from Kickstarter in the next month or two, along with Walk the Plank (and Get Bit and Coconuts add-ones) if that doesn't get delayed.

Blizzard

Banned
So I played my first solo game of A Feast for Odin. I scored an 81. Not sure how that is for solo mode full game but man I had fun. So many options and I learned a good deal just during that first game. Absolutely worth the hype.
That's quite a respectable first time score. People who play a bunch can get ridiculous scores into the 150-160 range, but most of my games are 80-120.

sasimirobot

You should check out a few willingdone videos on youtube. His explanations and reviews of the core deck and some cards like Jackson Howard are very well done.

Be careful not to catch the bug too hard, you will end up buying a lot of packs to catch up. I stuck with Tier one packs (reddit list) and all the deluxe expansions. Seems like more than enough for casual play.

Taborcarn

That's quite a respectable first time score. People who play a bunch can get ridiculous scores into the 150-160 range, but most of my games are 80-120.

My first and only solo score was 43. I'd like to play it more but the only realistic time I can set it up is after both kids are in bed, and by that point I'm usually too mentally exhausted to attempt it.

Fireblend

Banned
You should check out a few willingdone videos on youtube. His explanations and reviews of the core deck and some cards like Jackson Howard are very well done.

Be careful not to catch the bug too hard, you will end up buying a lot of packs to catch up. I stuck with Tier one packs (reddit list) and all the deluxe expansions. Seems like more than enough for casual play.

Thanks for the suggestion! And for now I doubt I'll buy anything else than the core box I already have, I don't think I have enough people to play with that would require increasing the variety of decks/cards already there, though we'll see. I definitely don't see myself getting boosters. I can always get the "big" expansions, right?

Finally got to try out Codenames, got it for xmas. Family absolutely loved it.

Easily my most played game, and a favorite with every group of people I play with. I've gotten like 5 people to buy it and bought it several times for other people. Enjoy!

Played several games of Dixit with the family last night. The game went over exceptionally well. I see lots of expansions in my future.

game is great, it hits the table every game night for me. usually as the last game as things are winding down. guests request to play it. with the base game I got the first 2 expansions, the artist changed after that. there are still cards in the deck that I've never seen

XShagrath

Played a bunch of new stuff yesterday, so time for some mini-reviews.

7 Wonders - Duels - This is a two-player only version of 7 Wonders. There are quite a few differences, and it makes it almost a different game. There are multiple paths to victory now (military, science, and then the standard cultural one). It also doesn't use the same card-drafting mechanism from the original game, but rather a kind of pyramid where you can only buy the cards that are fully exposed. It plays quicker than the original, and we'll never be going back to regular 7 Wonders when it's only two. A really enjoyable filler game perfect for opening/closing a night.

Harbour - This game from Scott Almes can best be described as "Tiny Epic Le Havre." Another gateway worker placement game with only one worker. You play as a harbour-master, and are trying to buy buildings that all have various special actions on them. There are several resources, and a pretty decent supply/demand mechanism where commodities lower in value after you've sold them. There can be a bit of wheel-spinning in this, as players are trying to build up their resources in order to sell enough to buy a building. Due to this, it might go a little long for what it is, but it's still only about 30 minutes or so.

Descent: Journeys into Darkness (Road to Legend) - Having picked up Mansions of Madness, I was excited to see if the app integration on Descent was as good. I've always wanted a solid campaign-based dungeon crawler game that worked well for two, and this seems to scratch that itch. The app seems to be more robust than the MoM one, although I still wish there was an "undo" button. Some of the rules seemed a little bit wonky with monster activation, but we may have been playing those wrong. The game is also a little fiddly with spawning monsters and keeping track of health on them. We both still really enjoyed it though, and I'll probably pick up some of the expansions later on and try out the "Delve" mode. There's also a new campaign coming out later this year that requires one of the big box expansions.

Eminent Domain: Microcosm - This is a two-player stand-alone version of Eminent Domain that plays in 10-15 minutes. The mechanisms are different enough to not completely replace the original game, but still feels similar to the original. The only thing that's wonky about this game is the end game scoring. It seems that almost every card had a "1 VP per X" on it, so it takes a bit of time to go through all of that, because some of the cards will count multiple times.

The Gallerist - Heavy! This is a Vital Lacerda game about running an artists' gallery. While being a pure Euro, it is still highly thematic and all the actions really tie to the mechanisms well. I tried to do a rules explanation of this after having watched Rodney's "Watch It Played" and also rahdo's run-through. I'm pretty bad at explaining rules, especially if I haven't actually played the game yet. I think it might have been better if we had just jumped in and started a practice few rounds and explained the actions as we went. Hindsight, 20/20, I guess. After we finally got started, things started to go pretty smoothly after about an hour and we sped up quite a bit and didn't really have any problems doing the actions or making decisions. We didn't end up doing a full game, because we were in about 3 hours (with my long-winded rules explanation), but I think our next game will go a lot quicker and we can probably bang it out in two hours or so.

Taborcarn

Nippon is now available to play online on BGA:
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamepanel?game=nippon

I've played it once in person before and liked it well enough, but now in my second online game I'm loving it. This really hits all my favorite gameplay notes. I think it's already becoming my favorite game choice on this site, easily topping Madeira. It seems like an underrated title that's kind of slipped under the radar.

Amory

Amazon just delivered Dead of Winter: The Long Night

The box is....heavy. I'm a little intimidated. But the SU&SD review made this game look really fun so hopefully it's not too hard to learn.

Palmer_v1

The box is....heavy. I'm a little intimidated. But the SU&SD review made this game look really fun so hopefully it's not too hard to learn.

I'd like to hear more about it. I actually own both versions of Dead of Winter but haven't played Long Night yet. I'm curious how it compares.

Also played Arkham Horror card game with my wife last night. Only 2/3 through with the first scenario(
Spawned the big cultist in the hallway
), but we like it so far. The general flow makes sense, but there's a lot of keywords to reference, and we haven't even tried customizing a deck yet.

Got my copy of disk duelers from level 99 games. Don't have time to play it (probably tomorrow after work) but I'm glad I didn't pay $40 the suggested msrb seems like a fairly simple game at its core.

EYEL1NER

Got my copy of disk duelers from level 99 games. Don't have time to play it (probably tomorrow after work) but I'm glad I didn't pay $40 the suggested msrb seems like a fairly simple game at its core.
Yeah, I love L99 Games and have recently fallen in love with dexterity games (or fallen in love with the idea of dexterity games, I haven't played enough yet to know for sure how I feel) but I wouldn't have ever spent $40 on it. The amount of wood might be what jacks the price of it so high, which is a shame. It definitely seems more like a game that should be in the $14.99 to $19.99 range, a filler title with light rules and short playtime that requires you use your own items that are laying around as terrain. I'm still glad that I got it though. Just need 7-Card Slugfest, two of the Exceed boxes, and Argent (plus expansions) and I'll have pretty much everything from L99 Games.

zulux21

as long as you are familiar with other co op games it shouldn't be bad to get into.

the rules are pretty straight forward.

Top Bottom