• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mill/Control is really cool. Played against tinygrimes on TTS and he had a fun Jabba/Dooku deck with Prized Possession. I think it would be tough for me under tournament time limits though as I'm still getting a grip on everything. Jango/Veers is a great starter deck (it's what my wife will be playing) because not only is it powerful it also doesn't have too many tough decisions.

Also holy shit at the demand for this. From BGG: "Miniature Market is taking pre-orders that will ship Feb/March 2017 according to the website."

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Mill/Control is really cool. Played against tinygrimes on TTS and he had a fun Jabba/Dooku deck with Prized Possession. I think it would be tough for me under tournament time limits though as I'm still getting a grip on everything. Jango/Veers is a great starter deck (it's what my wife will be playing) because not only is it powerful it also doesn't have too many tough decisions.

Also holy shit at the demand for this. From BGG: "Miniature Market is taking pre-orders that will ship Feb/March 2017 according to the website."

yeah 401 games has jacked their pricing from 99 CAD per box to 109 to 114 in the last 48 hours. Still not a bad deal cause the cards can't be found really anywhere else. Dos glorious 99 CAD boxes though were great

The single are worth a shit ton right now too

Slacker

Picked up Dominion for my wife today. Well give it a shot tonight, I hope she likes it!!

It's a brilliant 1v1 game in my humble opinion. Once you both know what you're doing, there's this little game of cat-and-mouse that occurs when you both have enough gold to start buying Provinces but you think maybe one more gold or action card wouldn't hurt first, hopefully she won't buy a province this turn OH CRAP she did! Great stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's a brilliant 1v1 game in my humble opinion. Once you both know what you're doing, there's this little game of cat-and-mouse that occurs when you both have enough gold to start buying Provinces but you think maybe one more gold or action card wouldn't hurt first, hopefully she won't buy a province this turn OH CRAP she did! Great stuff.

I've played probably a dozen different deckbuilders and I can't think of many that aren't best with two. Maybe Paperback and Trains if you count those. But Dominion, Ascension, Valley of the Kings, Star Realms, Legendary (though Encounters is best w/ 3 imo)...all best with 2.

Mr E.

I've played probably a dozen different deckbuilders and I can't think of many that aren't best with two. Maybe Paperback and Trains if you count those. But Dominion, Ascension, Valley of the Kings, Star Realms, Legendary (though Encounters is best w/ 3 imo)...all best with 2.
Clank is better with four.

Any UK backers of Santorinni received there's yet?

Starting a weekly game night next week. We will be playing Cosmic Encounter, which I've owned for half a year but haven't had a chance to play yet. Is the game difficult to learn/teach? Anything I should know prior to starting the game? I want everyone to keep coming back for more games, so this needs to run smoothly!

I think it's a fairly simple game overall. I usually just teach the objective and basic turn overview then introduce the wacky alien powers. There are lots of little weird rules that are hard to remember but don't hurt the play of the game overall.

Blizzard

Banned
For those who disliked the new Robinson Crusoe box art, it really does look nice in person. It fits the feel of abandoned castaways on a threatening island much better than the one before which looked like a pirate hunting party, complete with very-strategically-torn-clothes lady pirate. The focus is on the brightly lit island beach, but there are hidden threats in the shadows around the edges.

The new box even has a woman on it as well, but it's far less objectifying.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yay finally organized all my destiny stuff acceptably :p

GBtwhOb.jpg

Lupercal

Banned
Starting a weekly game night next week. We will be playing Cosmic Encounter, which I've owned for half a year but haven't had a chance to play yet. Is the game difficult to learn/teach? Anything I should know prior to starting the game? I want everyone to keep coming back for more games, so this needs to run smoothly!

Start with the base rules and introduce a new expansion every game, it can get overwhelming :)

It is probably one of those situations where you have to play poorly just to get the game moving. For example offering an outrageous negotiation straight up just to get people thinking and ultimately ganging up on you.

JSR_Cube

Cancelled my pledge for KD:M. I just can't justify the cost and then having to assemble all the minis was just another nail in the coffin. I can and can't believe how successful the campaign has been. I still think parts of it are a mess, e.g. there are stretch goals on the campaign page that have been met that have been ??? for at least a week now. Anyway, my hat is off to Poots for it being so successful but I will just grab this later if I really need it. I have a feeling that Gloomhaven may be the better game for my group anyway.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I would be somewhat interested in Destiny if I didn't distrust the QA of FFG for dice.

Hahah yeah that is very reasonable. I haven't run into any issues myself but that would be super annoying to get an important card/die and have the die misprinted, especially since FFG is only doing replacements with packs rather than 1:1 (which technically in most cases should be to your benefit, but still). I think this is part of what they're getting cleaned up in the second round which is why there's a little delay in getting it out.

Cancelled my pledge for KD:M. I just can't justify the cost and then having to assemble all the minis was just another nail in the coffin. I can and can't believe how successful the campaign has been. I still think parts of it are a mess, e.g. there are stretch goals on the campaign page that have been met that have been ??? for at least a week now. Anyway, my hat is off to Poots for it being so successful but I will just grab this later if I really need it. I have a feeling that Gloomhaven may be the better game for my group anyway.

Yep did the same last week after looking at a pic my friend took of the minis in their sprues and it reminded me of just how unfun getting it all set up will be, never mind the painting. Now to be clear I'm not a minis gamer so not the target audience, but I think that the vast majority of backers fit that description.

Lupercal

Banned
Saw Santorini mentioned here and decided to have a look.
Seems I can still order it at the KS price with all extras but 70$ + 28$ shipping?
Seems very pricey for a game.

Saw Santorini mentioned here and decided to have a look.
Seems I can still order it at the KS price with all extras but 70$ + 28$ shipping?
Seems very pricey for a game.

That's a tough price. I don't know if they have any retail aspirations, which may affect your decision on the pricing, but it's a cute game and the KS edition includes an expansion. Still, $98 is way too much, and I own the game!

Hahah yeah that is very reasonable. I haven't run into any issues myself but that would be super annoying to get an important card/die and have the die misprinted, especially since FFG is only doing replacements with packs rather than 1:1 (which technically in most cases should be to your benefit, but still). I think this is part of what they're getting cleaned up in the second round which is why there's a little delay in getting it out.
In addition to that, there is the matter of how true the dice roll.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Got a dice tray from Easy Roller and that thing is highly recommended. So satisfying wildly chucking dice in there without having to worry about them splashing around. Also think I found the perfect solution for Destiny decks + dice -- just old-school simple deckboxes are really a perfect fit.

This kickstarter's been a wild ride. To those of you who backed out, I do hope that you can play this game someday. With more copies out there in the world in just a few months, maybe someone nearby will share the experience.
Yeah I think this is the right way to go about it for me. Just don't have the experience, time, or energy to be the one leading the charge on it though I'd be very happy to tag along for the experience.

So I'm not sure what happened, but some great boardgaming lust came over me the past few weeks. Me and a friend went half on kickstarting Kingdom Death (was able to snag a black friday pledge for $300, so $150 between the both of us. Of course we then decided we would get one of the expansions, as well, so that's another $50.). My buddy then went whole hog on the DC Deckbuilding game (started with just the base set, within the week he bought practically every expansion). Playing that a lot recently, along with us REALLY wanting to play Kingdom Death but having to wait till at least the summer for it has kind of made us go into a frenzy. After doing some light researching I ended up buying Pandemic Legacy, Inis and the Arkham Horror Card game (along with a werewolf expansion for it). I almost bought Blood Rage and Cosmic Encounters as well. What have I become, BoardgameGAF? Please tell me it will stop. Me and my friend used to be HEAVILY into Magic: The Gathering, but ended up putting it aside about two years ago. I sold all my cards. I guess we are trying to scratch that same itch but without constantly having to buy all the latest greatest cards. I feel like this is going to end up an even more expensive hobby. I don't even know when I'll be able to play all these games. But they just all sound so COOL and FUN!

Mikeside

I just played my first game of Shadows of Brimstone and it seems pretty awesome, though I'm already eyeing up some of those extra monster expansions.

Does anybody have advice on a card organiser for the billion separate decks of cards that come with it? Or a token one, even?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I'm not sure what happened, but some great boardgaming lust came over me the past few weeks. Me and a friend went half on kickstarting Kingdom Death (was able to snag a black friday pledge for $300, so $150 between the both of us. Of course we then decided we would get one of the expansions, as well, so that's another $50.). My buddy then went whole hog on the DC Deckbuilding game (started with just the base set, within the week he bought practically every expansion). Playing that a lot recently, along with us REALLY wanting to play Kingdom Death but having to wait till at least the summer for it has kind of made us go into a frenzy. After doing some light researching I ended up buying Pandemic Legacy, Inis and the Arkham Horror Card game (along with a werewolf expansion for it). I almost bought Blood Rage and Cosmic Encounters as well. What have I become, BoardgameGAF? Please tell me it will stop. Me and my friend used to be HEAVILY into Magic: The Gathering, but ended up putting it aside about two years ago. I sold all my cards. I guess we are trying to scratch that same itch but without constantly having to buy all the latest greatest cards. I feel like this is going to end up an even more expensive hobby. I don't even know when I'll be able to play all these games. But they just all sound so COOL and FUN!

Haha yeah, the nice thing with boardgames is that you'll have even more of a variety. Those are some pretty good games you started with so I guess if you're concerned about building up too much of a backlog, maybe you can make sure you play them all at least three times before getting another or something? It's hard to say "more" expensive as Magic definitely has the more impressive per-card sticker shock, but it's basically as expensive as you want it to be, because you could easily just get the top 10 games off someone's list each year and have more than enough to play the entire year and then some. So it just comes down to how much variety you want and how "cult of the new" you are. :p Having a game group with other people bringing games to the table definitely helps too (although if you're the primary game provider it actually makes things worse :p).

JesseZao

Having a game group with other people bringing games to the table definitely helps too (although if you're the primary game provider it actually makes things worse :p).

I used to be the game provider, but I lucked out when a few people took it upon themselves to participate in this Envoy program and now they bring most all of the new games to our meet up. My wallet is much happier.

Taborcarn

I'm finally giving Food Chain Magnate a shot online. It's a bit intimidating but everyone is new to the game so it will definitely be a learning game.

Blizzard

Banned
This kickstarter's been a wild ride. To those of you who backed out, I do hope that you can play this game someday. With more copies out there in the world in just a few months, maybe someone nearby will share the experience.
I feel like you're this thread's effective KDM ambassador, like I'm the Feast for Odin ambassador. :p

In my local board game group I have already seen two copies of the game get sold... without the minis. So maybe there will be a lot of that going on?

Of interest Total Biscuit, for all his... unpleasantness... did put captain sonar in his top 10 list of 2016 which is kind of cool. I'm now thinking about games with apps appearing on a neogaf top 10 list. I mean they are sort of videogames right?

I feel like you're this thread's effective KDM ambassador, like I'm the Feast for Odin ambassador. :p

Haha, you may be right. At least I tend to be the most vocal about KDM. Speaking of Feast for Odin, keep up the great work with the solo competitions. I'll definitely start trying them again soon.

In my local board game group I have already seen two copies of the game get sold... without the minis. So maybe there will be a lot of that going on?

It's entirely possible, but I don't think there would be that many people who only want the minis so that they'd sell off the actual game. Though, maybe there are enough people who've bought a second copy of the game...something I considered doing myself.

Dreavus

I would recommend trying out building an MTG cube (if you have any cards left/interest in the game!), here's a pretty decent primer on the format posted on the Wizards site. It's a really great way to play MTG limited games like draft and sealed without having to buy cards every time. Add to that some pretty impressive 2 player draft variants that people have come up with over the years and you have something that can stand on it's own as a "game", only keeping up with new cards if you see something you want to add. I've had mine sitting pretty for the last couple years and it's still a lot of fun to bust out and play.

You can go as crazy as you want. Some people use cube to put all of the broken cards into one environment, like power 9 cards and alpha dual lands, to make things as broken as possible. Some people do themed ones based around specific sets they enjoy, like a Ravnica themed cube. Some people theme theirs specifically around FFA multiplayer, with the intent of playing a big game all together after the decks are built. I've modeled mine after a few other people's "unpowered" cubes (no moxen and other ridiculous cards, but still have access to powerful combos/cards outside of that), and it's been great for us.

I've played tons of cube drafts with people like you; people who used to play MTG, but fell out of the regular game. But they have the game knowledge to participate in a draft, with no boosters needed, so we end up with some damn good games of Magic. It's awesome! If you have the patience to assemble the 360 (minimum) unique cards needed, while also keeping an eye on balance and card usage as you play, IMO it can be one of the best "stand-alone card games" in your collection.

I would recommend trying out building an MTG cube (if you have any cards left/interest in the game!), here's a pretty decent primer on the format posted on the Wizards site. It's a really great way to play MTG limited games like draft and sealed without having to buy cards every time. Add to that some pretty impressive 2 player draft variants that people have come up with over the years and you have something that can stand on it's own as a "game", only keeping up with new cards if you see something you want to add. I've had mine sitting pretty for the last couple years and it's still a lot of fun to bust out and play.

You can go as crazy as you want. Some people use cube to put all of the broken cards into one environment, like power 9 cards and alpha dual lands, to make things as broken as possible. Some people do themed ones based around specific sets they enjoy, like a Ravnica themed cube. Some people theme theirs specifically around FFA multiplayer, with the intent of playing a big game all together after the decks are built. I've modeled mine after a few other people's "unpowered" cubes (no moxen and other ridiculous cards, but still have access to powerful combos/cards outside of that), and it's been great for us.

I've played tons of cube drafts with people like you; people who used to play MTG, but fell out of the regular game. But they have the game knowledge to participate in a draft, with no boosters needed, so we end up with some damn good games of Magic. It's awesome! If you have the patience to assemble the 360 (minimum) unique cards needed, while also keeping an eye on balance and card usage as you play, IMO it can be one of the best "stand-alone card games" in your collection.

Oh yeah, believe me, we went down several cube draft holes. Practically any version of Magic you can think of we played. We played it for YEARS (I actually started collecting the cards when I was young, got heavily into around the time Tempest and Stronghold came out). We just played the game for so much, and for so many years we all just got burnt out. Actually, I think I got burnt out more so than a couple of my buddies. Still, we are done with Magic. Every time I try to play a draft or play with someones Commander deck I just want it to be over a quarter of the way through.

Speaking of drafting, though, are there any boardgames that incorporate that mechanic? It was definitely my groups favorite way of playing MTG. I read Blood Rage has a drafting mechanic in it, but I wasn't sure if it was the same as drafting in MTG.

Dreavus

Oh yeah, believe me, we went down several cube draft holes. Practically any version of Magic you can think of we played. We played it for YEARS (I actually started collecting the cards when I was young, got heavily into around the time Tempest and Stronghold came out). We just played the game for so much, and for so many years we all just got burnt out. Actually, I think I got burnt out more so than a couple of my buddies. Still, we are done with Magic. Every time I try to play a draft or play with someones Commander deck I just want it to be over a quarter of the way through.

Speaking of drafting, though, are there any boardgames that incorporate that mechanic? It was definitely my groups favorite way of playing MTG. I read Blood Rage has a drafting mechanic in it, but I wasn't sure if it was the same as drafting in MTG.

Haha, alright. I didn't realize it was a straight burn out, I thought it was more of a "sick of keeping up" thing. I'm right there with you on commander games. Honestly it's the kind of format I think I'd have LOVED back in high school but nowadays the games seem to stretch on into infinity (or until one guy gets fed up and alpha strikes someone else at random). I still have a soft spot for "star" format multiplayer games even if I don't play them much anymore.

I know Bloodrage has drafting but I don't know what kind. That mechanic is a bit of a hole in my collection to be honest. I think I've got Intrigo and Shinobi Clans as drafting games; they're okay, but both have their flaws.

mercviper

If you really want to scratch that MTG itch, I suggest Codex by David Sirlin. It's expensive like all his other games but it's good fun and probably the closest board game experience you could get to it.

Other games I feel that would scratch that itch would be Netrunner and Summoner Wars, though they offer completely different experiences.

For something that's pure drafting, 7 Wonders and Sushi Go! are great, while on the other hand if you like playing cards for synergy without as much of the deckbuilding, I'd suggest Smash Up! or Sentinels of the Multiverse.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fucking hell man Food Chain Magnate is so brutal. Just soul crushingly cutthroat. Getting your customers taken from you hurts like no other game I have played, I think. You can do so much work setting up a network of homes to provide for and have them taken under your nose if you aren't paying attention, and man does that really ruin your day lol. However, it goes both ways. If you can sneak some deceptive plays in you can get bigger and bigger payoffs as the game goes longer. IT is really weird. I have never played a game where I have such lows and highs all in the course of like 3 turns.

Nezumi

Finally caved and ordered Santorini. Yes, the price is steap, especially with shipping, but I just couldn't resist any longer. I just love this kind of games and it really looks fantastic. I have been thinking about trying my hand at miniture painting for a while and the builders look like they'd be rather beginner friendly.

Also bought Raptor recently and would highly recommend it for people looking for 2 player games.

Also we finally managed to get our Cthulhu Wars group together after months of not being able to a date. Lost horribly with Crawling Chaos. Not sure what my problem is with this faction. It should be so powerful...

Finally caved and ordered Santorini. Yes, the price is steap, especially with shipping, but I just couldn't resist any longer. I just love this kind of games and it really looks fantastic. I have been thinking about trying my hand at miniture painting for a while and the builders look like they'd be rather beginner friendly.

I'd be interested to know how you would paint it? I can't seem to find picks of a painted copy and I'm struggling to visualise it.

Good pick up though. Santorini is easily my game of the year 2016... at least I assume it will be when my copy arrives sometime this year :|

EYEL1NER

I'd be interested to know how you would paint it? I can't seem to find picks of a painted copy and I'm struggling to visualise it.

Good pick up though. Santorini is easily my game of the year 2016... at least I assume it will be when my copy arrives sometime this year :|
The forums for the game on BGG have a thread where someone painted the builders (I can't link to it right now since BGG is down for mx) and some people on Reddit posted pics of their painted miniatures. I'll say that the ones I have seen were well-painted, the people who did them knew what they were doing, but I think that the ones I have seen look unappealing when compared to the original plastic colors. I guess the builders are supposed to be people but I feel like the unpainted colors remind me of different colors of stone or marble, and it makes me imagine the builders as statues (which I think goes well with the theme).
I wonder if anyone other there will try doing a marble effect or a bronzed look (with a green patina over it) on their miniatures.

Nezumi

Well I was basically thinking about diffeeent colors for clothes and hair to differentiate between...

I wonder if anyone other there will try doing a marble effect or a bronzed look (with a green patina over it) on their miniatures.

Oh my god, this is an amazing idea and now I want to try this :D

Taborcarn

Fucking hell man Food Chain Magnate is so brutal. Just soul crushingly cutthroat. Getting your customers taken from you hurts like no other game I have played, I think. You can do so much work setting up a network of homes to provide for and have them taken under your nose if you aren't paying attention, and man does that really ruin your day lol. However, it goes both ways. If you can sneak some deceptive plays in you can get bigger and bigger payoffs as the game goes longer. IT is really weird. I have never played a game where I have such lows and highs all in the course of like 3 turns.

I'm sure this is going to be even tougher in an online version, where I'm less likely to be paying attention to what other players are doing when it's not my turn.

fenners

It really is awesome :) Love love love FCM.

Lupercal

Banned
I know Bloodrage has drafting but I don't know what kind. That mechanic is a bit of a hole in my collection to be honest. I think I've got Intrigo and Shinobi Clans as drafting games; they're okay, but both have their flaws.

Bloodrage draft is fairly simple, give each player 8 cards and take one. Then pass along.
Take until you have 6.
So people before you can see what they're giving away and could possibly pick a card that would benefit someone else as well.

Still Bloodrage is a fantastic game, played it 7 times these last 2 weeks and hungry for more :)

I just played my first game of Shadows of Brimstone and it seems pretty awesome, though I'm already eyeing up some of those extra monster expansions.

Does anybody have advice on a card organiser for the billion separate decks of cards that come with it? Or a token one, even?
If you have access to a 3D printer, here are some token holders.

Credit goes to a guy on the Facebook SoB group.
Bas Hammer said:
There are two 2 hero token sets that have all the tokens that can go onto a hero, one for all the map (exploration, elite abilities, scavenge, and one for Trenderra because .. Trenderra. All of these use the same form factor, the large token holder has all the side bag tokens and town tokens. In reality, these are the tokens we play with. you can download stl from both sites, for the fusion 360 files you need to use youmagine.

Enjoy.

Like for youmagine:
Token holder 1 - sidebar and town
Token holder 2 - player

links for thingiverse:
Token holder 1
Token holder 2

For myself, I've just got a couple Plano 3700(?) organizers that do the job pretty well.

I personally haven't made a card hold, but I'm considering it. Most people have made vertical holders to cut down on space, such as this.

Mikeside

If you have access to a 3D printer, here are some token holders.

Credit goes to a guy on the Facebook SoB group.

For myself, I've just got a couple Plano 3700(?) organizers that do the job pretty well.

I personally haven't made a card hold, but I'm considering it. Most people have made vertical holders to cut down on space, such as this.

thanks - I'll definitely give the vertical holder a try!

Bloodrage draft is fairly simple, give each player 8 cards and take one. Then pass along.
Take until you have 6.
So people before you can see what they're giving away and could possibly pick a card that would benefit someone else as well.

Still Bloodrage is a fantastic game, played it 7 times these last 2 weeks and hungry for more :)

That sounds like Magic: The Gathering drafting to me. Which is what I was looking for! The game was already on my radar....might pick it up in a couple weeks. Sushi Go! Party and 7 Wonders seem pretty cool, as well. I should probably play my current crop of games I just bought before buying anymore, however.

Alpha_eX

Spent 8/9 hours playing Kingdom Death yesterday, incredible game with some really fun moments, highlight was bugs stealing a friend's genitals, leaving him smooth like a Ken doll.

Only negative from the whole 8/9 hours was a lot of referring to the rules for things, I think if you are going to play, really brush up on it. Incredibly hyped to jump back in and possibly restart it with the new understanding.

I didn't back the game or anything but a few friends went in on it large.

EYEL1NER

Well I was basically thinking about diffeeent colors for clothes and hair to differentiate between...

Oh my god, this is an amazing idea and now I want to try this :D
Here's a link to the thread where a guy painted his: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1695281/painted-minis
Like I said, they have a competent paint job but I think that the unpainted minis look better than painted. If they were all just grey plastic, I would say "Yeah, they definitely could use some painting" but the stone and rock color of the plastic looks good already compared to a "paint them like humans" job.

Top Bottom