• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

swoon

I want a new solo game. Feast For Odin keeps coming up in this thread, so that seems interesting. Any other games you guys are playing solo that work super well?

if you are interested in wargames, comancheria just came out from gmt games and is great. also the state of siege games from victory point are fun and quick. i like ottoman sunset the most.

glass road works solo pretty well, though solo euro games don't really grab me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I will be reading up on all of these tomorrow so I can hopefully place an order ASAP!

Question about Arkham LCG. The deck building of LOTR became a bit...Too difficult? So many cards and sets and optimizations. How is Arkham different?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I will be reading up on all of these tomorrow so I can hopefully place an order ASAP!

Question about Arkham LCG. The deck building of LOTR became a bit...Too difficult? So many cards and sets and optimizations. How is Arkham different?

I don't even remember what LOTR deckbuilding is like, but with Arkham I do think it's pretty easy. And there are tools now like arkhamdb.com that make it super easy to build and also find decks if you don't feel like building. Game comes with recommended sets, but even after playing them once you'll probably want to tweak them (as long as you have a couple cores) because they're sort of sub-optimal probably by design. The rules for deckbuilding are really simple imo. See here on page 8: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...b5-b5d8c457d4bc/ahc01_rules_reference_web.pdf

Also the game has several difficulty levels so you can always just say f it and play on Easy and use the starter decks and still have a good challenge.

accx

Looking at getting some board games but don't know where to start...
Preferably coop games for 2 players (For me and my SO). It should be doable with 2 and if you can play as more that's fine too.

Themes which would be interesting: Horror/Macabre, Cyberpunk, Dystopian near future or Sci/fi. Something dark and grim. Occult themes would be cool too!
Preferably with puzzles (her favourite games similar to myst and PnC's). I'd like something with a heavy focus on narrative and also deeper rpg mechanics (like building characters, leveling and upgrading).
Replayability isn't that much of a concern although it's always nice to have.
It shouldn't be insanely convoluted but i do enjoy complexity.

Anything in particular you guys and gals could recommend?

Thanks!

Palmer_v1

Preferably coop games for 2 players (For me and my SO). It should be doable with 2 and if you can play as more that's fine too.

Themes which would be interesting: Horror/Macabre, Cyberpunk, Dystopian near future or Sci/fi. Something dark and grim. Occult themes would be cool too!
Preferably with puzzles (her favourite games similar to myst and PnC's). I'd like something with a heavy focus on narrative and also deeper rpg mechanics (like building characters, leveling and upgrading).

Thanks!

That's a tough set of requirements to meet. A lot of the Arkham games meet most of those requirements, but usually don't have a deep rpg mechanic.

Shadows of Brimstone has more RPG-like mechanics, but it's a miniatures board game that can get complicated, and there aren't really puzzles.

I don't really have any great suggestions for that.

mercviper

Thanks!

Arkham LCG?

zulux21

I've never had a bad experience.

Some games you don't have enough info, so you just lie until someone messes up and gives you the info you need.

So I don't want to say you are necessarily playing it wrong, but you are probably playing it a bit wrong.

Also getting drunk helps. It is great fun.

really don't understand how someone messes up in one night warewolf.

you take the info you are given and just stick to it, it will eventually come down to if someone else believes you or that other person with no real way to figure out which one is telling the truth.

and thus you just randomly guess at the end who you think everyone is.

I mean I suppose getting drunk could make it better, but first off I don't drink, and second, needing drinks to have fun with a game isn't my idea of a good time at all.

mercviper

really don't understand how someone messes up in one night warewolf.

you take the info you are given and just stick to it, it will eventually come down to if someone else believes you or that other person with no real way to figure out which one is telling the truth.

and thus you just randomly guess at the end who you think everyone is.

I mean I suppose getting drunk could make it better, but first off I don't drink, and second, needing drinks to have fun with a game isn't my idea of a good time at all.

There's all sorts of tells and intuition, when and how they decide to reveal their 'role' etc. People that reveal later typically have some sort of agenda so their statements are more suspect, as they have more information to craft a better fitting story. Some people talk more when 'good' and are really quiet when 'bad'. Also fancy things some villagers can do like as a troublemaker lie (or lie that you are the troublemaker) that you switched one of the supposed wolves with a villager to see if he turns coat. It's social deduction so what people say is only half the game and the other half is body language and reactions. /shrug

So, I like 4X games and turn based strategy games, mostly along the lines of "dudes-on-a-map". Any recommendations?

I'm aware of 4X games like Eclipse and Twilight Imperium, but I probably won't ever be able to get that to the table for a lunch hour. I also have played Tiny Epic Kingdoms, and while that's okay I'm wondering if there is something meatier that exists.

mercviper

So, I like 4X games and turn based strategy games, mostly along the lines of "dudes-on-a-map". Any recommendations?

I'm aware of 4X games like Eclipse and Twilight Imperium, but I probably won't ever be able to get that to the table for a lunch hour. I also have played Tiny Epic Kingdoms, and while that's okay I'm wondering if there is something meatier that exists.

I'm sorry if stealing your win in Clash of Cultures soured you on it :p

Also 4X combined with played within a lunch hour sounds like a tall order lol. For turn-based strategy, I think you'd enjoy Summoner Wars but that's also 2P only. Something like A Few Acres of Snow I think you'd also enjoy, but again 2P. Maybe a COIN game would be good too?

I'm sorry if stealing your win in Clash of Cultures soured you on it :p

Also 4X combined with played within a lunch hour sounds like a tall order lol. For turn-based strategy, I think you'd enjoy Summoner Wars but that's also 2P only. Something like A Few Acres of Snow I think you'd also enjoy, but again 2P. Maybe a COIN game would be good too?
What no that was fine and I want to play more Clash of Clans next time :p that was my mistake, and I intend to not repeat that >:)

And yes I realize how difficult it would be to make a genuine 4x experience fit in a lunch hour lol. Just curious if anyone has tried beyond TEK.

Edit: maybe 4X in a lunch hour is asking for too much. I want something similar to Advance Wars as a board game, fog of war not being necessary. Perhaps that's easier to realize.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't even remember what LOTR deckbuilding is like, but with Arkham I do think it's pretty easy. And there are tools now like arkhamdb.com that make it super easy to build and also find decks if you don't feel like building. Game comes with recommended sets, but even after playing them once you'll probably want to tweak them (as long as you have a couple cores) because they're sort of sub-optimal probably by design. The rules for deckbuilding are really simple imo. See here on page 8: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...b5-b5d8c457d4bc/ahc01_rules_reference_web.pdf

Also the game has several difficulty levels so you can always just say f it and play on Easy and use the starter decks and still have a good challenge.

Is it solo or two handed??

zulux21

There's all sorts of tells and intuition, when and how they decide to reveal their 'role' etc. People that reveal later typically have some sort of agenda so their statements are more suspect, as they have more information to craft a better fitting story. Some people talk more when 'good' and are really quiet when 'bad'. Also fancy things some villagers can do like as a troublemaker lie (or lie that you are the troublemaker) that you switched one of the supposed wolves with a villager to see if he turns coat. It's social deduction so what people say is only half the game and the other half is body language and reactions. /shrug

ah so basically you are saying play with people who are bad at lying.

that's my problem then, I play with a bunch of people who are good at lying thus the game is complete garbage as slip ups almost never happen.

we make sure we act the same no matter what role we have, and talk similarly and what not.

still works fine for a game like resistance because there are things that happen that you can't hide. you know one of 2-3 people is a spy for sure. but in one night werewolf as long as you are halfway decent at keeping a story straight and acting the same no matter what role you have it's just not fun.

mercviper

ah so basically you are saying play with people who are bad at lying.

that's my problem then, I play with a bunch of people who are good at lying thus the game is complete garbage as slip ups almost never happen.

we make sure we act the same no matter what role we have, and talk similarly and what not.

still works fine for a game like resistance because there are things that happen that you can't hide. you know one of 2-3 people is a spy for sure. but in one night werewolf as long as you are halfway decent at keeping a story straight and acting the same no matter what role you have it's just not fun.
You make it sound like you can't narrow it down at all. With one night you don't get any conflicting stories at all? I find that really hard to believe unless your werewolves always reveal last when they can't be wrong about what roles are taken/available... and then the last few reveals are suspect or the wolves are ridiculously lucky when picking roles early. Once you have conflict you have suspects typically between 2-3 people that you can say a were wolf belongs to especially after all the vetting the villager actions allow you. Because really even if you keep your story straight you still have to pick the right one to begin with.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Guys if you have 100 dollars just get Food Chain Magnate. You also have to like mean games and crushing peoples dreams. Being able to survive extreme mid game depression also is needed as well as not flipping the table when someone scores 15x your points. You also should like games where you have to do 10 things every turn but can only fit 5 or 6. And losing. Gotta like that.

zulux21

You make it sound like you can't narrow it down at all. With one night you don't get any conflicting stories at all? I find that really hard to believe unless your werewolves always reveal last when they can't be wrong about what roles are taken/available... and then the last few reveals are suspect or the wolves are ridiculously lucky when picking roles early. Once you have conflict you have suspects typically between 2-3 people that you can say a were wolf belongs to especially after all the vetting the villager actions allow you. Because really even if you keep your story straight you still have to pick the right one to begin with.

uh... not saying no conflicting stories... saying no way to tell which one of the two is actually telling the truth.

in general multiple completely independent stories are told with their own conflicts that you ultimately have to side on one side or the other. deducing it down is basically impossible, you just have to go with your gut and pick one side at typically around a 50/50 shot.

it's fun to pretend like you can figure it out, but once you play a few rounds you figure out what lies you can tell or can't, and any real deducting down goes away and in the end you just take your best guess and hope it is right.

it was an alright game the first few times, but after that it just isn't fun to play. if you have players that know what they are doing it's just to easy to keep it so players can't have a good idea of what is going on and the debates just result in a random guess at the end still.

I am glad you can find fun in the game, but for my group it is completely unplayable.

I mean you said it yourself "Once you have conflict you have suspects typically between 2-3 people that you can say a were wolf belongs to" so.. at the end of talking you still have 2-3 people that might be the one you need. so after all of that the game ends with a random guess between a subset of people where the only time that isn't true is if someone messes up which is rare given how simple the game is.

it's just a really crappy way to end a deduction game. it's just to short for my group to really make mistakes, so it never ends any way but a guess unlike most other deduction games.

Guys if you have 100 dollars just get Food Chain Magnate. You also have to like mean games and crushing peoples dreams. Being able to survive extreme mid game depression also is needed as well as not flipping the table when someone scores 15x your points. You also should like games where you have to do 10 things every turn but can only fit 5 or 6. And losing. Gotta like that.
I always see this game being play at one of Meetup I used to attend, everyone at the table look stress and angry so that explain it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
uh... not saying no conflicting stories... saying no way to tell which one of the two is actually telling the truth.

in general multiple completely independent stories are told with their own conflicts that you ultimately have to side on one side or the other. deducing it down is basically impossible, you just have to go with your gut and pick one side at typically around a 50/50 shot.

it's fun to pretend like you can figure it out, but once you play a few rounds you figure out what lies you can tell or can't, and any real deducting down goes away and in the end you just take your best guess and hope it is right.

it was an alright game the first few times, but after that it just isn't fun to play. if you have players that know what they are doing it's just to easy to keep it so players can't have a good idea of what is going on and the debates just result in a random guess at the end still.

I am glad you can find fun in the game, but for my group it is completely unplayable.

I mean you said it yourself "Once you have conflict you have suspects typically between 2-3 people that you can say a were wolf belongs to" so.. at the end of talking you still have 2-3 people that might be the one you need. so after all of that the game ends with a random guess between a subset of people where the only time that isn't true is if someone messes up which is rare given how simple the game is.

it's just a really crappy way to end a deduction game.

Or you can just base your decision on subtle cues you pick up on? I hate social-deduction games with a passion, but if you're going to treat it like a logic puzzle you really shouldn't be playing it in the first place. Not at all what they're aiming for, and there's certainly much more there to go on unless you just willfully choose to ignore it.

Karkador

Banned
Edit: maybe 4X in a lunch hour is asking for too much. I want something similar to Advance Wars as a board game, fog of war not being necessary. Perhaps that's easier to realize.

I guess Summoner Wars is probably the closest thing to a "Advance Wars" tabletop game as of now, but I think it's a little too much to fit in a lunch hour. I could see it running over time.

You could consider some abstracts like Hive Pocket, The Duke, or Onitama, which will give you that quick, tactical move-by-move combat.

I'd also recommend Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation ; it's a very well done abstract strategy with a nice amount of theme and abilities woven in.

zulux21

Or you can just base your decision on subtle cues you pick up on? I hate social-deduction games with a passion, but if you're going to treat it like a logic puzzle you really shouldn't be playing it in the first place. Not at all what they're aiming for, and there's certainly much more there to go on unless you just willfully choose to ignore it.

if you find more to it that's great, for me and my group we don't. It's streamlined too far into a short time waster that is okay a few times but a bore after that. Though I am confused where you think I still subject myself to one night? I don't play it because unlike the other social deduction games that can easily be played as logic puzzles, you can't with one night because it doesn't give enough information due to the length.

by far one night is one of the worst social deduction game I have ever played.

much rather play normal werewolf even if it can run long and players are eliminated.

but again, I totally get how some people can have fun with it. I imagine it's a blast when you have a few drinks in you and it's hard for people to keep everything straight.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
finished 2nd after going 3-1 in a Destiny tournament tonight.

Veers/Jango, cleaned up pretty well (as it should, I guess).

Had two tough matches, one vs Ackbar / Trooper / Trooper that could pull off some burst damage of it's own that I lost to in a super close game (came down to my fully loaded Veers vs Trooper and rolls at the end).

Had another close game against Dooku / Jabba where I was down to 4 cards in hand and one card in deck but managed to get Jabba off the board with a Tactical Mastery + re-roll + damage.

Game is really terrific. Pace of play is good, variety is good, the dice element makes a simple game feel pretty different each time you play.

Hopefully I can finally get my hands on 2nd starters for each faction this week so I can play 2 Force Throws and blue control

zeeaykay

Finally got around to playing Inis. 3 back-to-back 3-player games. Each game someone won with a different victory condition. On the final round of our last game I only had three Clans on the board and had to change my strategy. Somehow I was able to adapt and win via Sanctuaries by creating two (one by using the druid to pick up my own discard), moving into another area with two, and then supplemented it with two Deeds, one of which I got that round with the Bard. Felt good.

The hype is real.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
finished 2nd after going 3-1 in a Destiny tournament tonight.

Veers/Jango, cleaned up pretty well (as it should, I guess).

Had two tough matches, one vs Ackbar / Trooper / Trooper that could pull off some burst damage of it's own that I lost to in a super close game (came down to my fully loaded Veers vs Trooper and rolls at the end).

Had another close game against Dooku / Jabba where I was down to 4 cards in hand and one card in deck but managed to get Jabba off the board with a Tactical Mastery + re-roll + damage.

Game is really terrific. Pace of play is good, variety is good, the dice element makes a simple game feel pretty different each time you play.

Hopefully I can finally get my hands on 2nd starters for each faction this week so I can play 2 Force Throws and blue control

Nice! We're going to a six-round tournament on Saturday, which is like Netrunner-level intense. Probably be playing 12-5. Thankfully I'm pretty sure there's no cut because as awesome as Swiss is those cut rounds sound really bad just in terms of how the timing works out. Feeling pretty good about my Han/Rey so that's good. Hopefully be able to win at least a couple games. :p

We have all aggro and a little control in our group. How do you play against mill, tactically? Do you really hold on to your cards or just don't worry about it too much and don't needlessly discard, but don't get too far out of your game?

zulux21

Now I'm just picturing the neutral guys from Futurama sitting around trying to play Spyfall.

spyfall goes alright.

but that is because we get roles and roleplay it :p mostly because without them it typically didn't go very well. either the spy got picked out in the first few questions or it went all the way until the end. even then though the spy almost never won.

but even then that game only has a few more times to the table before that becomes mostly unplayable as well.

we have gotten way to stuck on certain effective questions.

the roles in one night don't lend themselves to the same sort of role play.

accx

That's a tough set of requirements to meet. A lot of the Arkham games meet most of those requirements, but usually don't have a deep rpg mechanic.

Shadows of Brimstone has more RPG-like mechanics, but it's a miniatures board game that can get complicated, and there aren't really puzzles.

I don't really have any great suggestions for that.

Arkham LCG?

Thanks! I figured it would be quite specific... Any coop would do as well!
Arkham has been on my list so i'm getting that one. When i talked about puzzles i recall the game T.I.M.E having that.... I haven't played it myself but reviews said it was similar to myst in some regards.

zulux21

Arkham has been on my list so i'm getting that one. When i talked about puzzles i recall the game T.I.M.E having that.... I haven't played it myself but reviews said it was similar to myst in some regards.

so... T.I.M.E. is a game I have enjoyed playing, but it's not one I would recommend someone buy unless they have a lot of disposable income.

only the base set of time is all that puzzley after that they get far more straight forward. Aside from one puzzle the base game is a solid play, but it will only last you a few hours and then unless you really want to speed run it after knowing the answers there isn't much reason to play it again.

the expansions range from pretty good to mediocre, but they all have one major thing in common, they were rushed to the market.

T.I.M.E Stories: The Marcy Case (2015) is the most polished of the 3 available expansions, but even it offers far less puzzles and more trail and error than the base set.

T.I.M.E Stories: Under the Mask (2016) is the worst of the 3 expansions by far. it was a big let down, and it was either this one or the last expansion that has mechanics that aren't explained in the rules, that you can obtain, without obtaining the explanation on how they work @_@

T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons (2016) has a fun setting, but it's the most straight forward of the 3, and while a better experience than the second expansion lacked the polish that lead to any real depth.

there are 3 more expansions coming (I assume as I can find listing on BGG for 4 and 6 but not 5 lol) so I am hoping with the break they had they will be better put together.

I mean if you have access to the game it's a fine experience but due to the price and lack of replayability and need to look up what errors they made in the printing, it's hard to recommend to someone to buy.

with that being said though, if you have a group of 4, and can convience them to split the cost with you. it ends up being about the same price as a movie, and lasts twice as long. so if you look at it that way it's not to bad. it just feels bad to have a game that is useless after the fact.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Nice! We're going to a six-round tournament on Saturday, which is like Netrunner-level intense. Probably be playing 12-5. Thankfully I'm pretty sure there's no cut because as awesome as Swiss is those cut rounds sound really bad just in terms of how the timing works out. Feeling pretty good about my Han/Rey so that's good. Hopefully be able to win at least a couple games. :p

We have all aggro and a little control in our group. How do you play against mill, tactically? Do you really hold on to your cards or just don't worry about it too much and don't needlessly discard, but don't get too far out of your game?

Against Jabba / Dooku I knew I needed to get big bursts. The guy didn't want to activate, second time someone played against Jango that way.

We had multiple turns where he refused to activate anything and I ended the turn on a double pass.

This I think may have cost him the game as I had Jango fully loaded and even veers had 3 upgrades by end game so i was throwing 9 dice (he prized possession one of Jango - should've done Veers). I basically was ok just getting to resolve Veers every turn and load up more. I think I was making more progress each turn than he did. When he finally activated I put Dooku down in one or two turns and took a couple more to kill Jabba. I did discard to re roll as Jabba was rolling discards anyway.

I think it's really just a matter of rolls. If you have a lot of blue damage they will modify away the black. If you roll lots of blacks they are in a tough spot. But last think I wanted to do was activate Jango to have a Dodge played and give him a free turn. The only way I was took g Jango was it O couldnimmediately resolve.

Against the burst damage deck it was trickier. It's a Trap and All in and such are nasty. Rebel troopers and guns can add up for 8-10 burst damage which will take a Jango or Veers off the board in one shot... even if Ackbar is dead.

I lost control of the battlefield in that game and that timing hurt in the end.

Once I get another Rey starter I'm gonna run han/Rey and maybe some weird Jabba + Vader/Dooku. Feels like those decks need 2x Force Throw

Spookie

Finally got around to playing Inis. 3 back-to-back 3-player games. Each game someone won with a different victory condition. On the final round of our last game I only had three Clans on the board and had to change my strategy. Somehow I was able to adapt and win via Sanctuaries by creating two (one by using the druid to pick up my own discard), moving into another area with two, and then supplemented it with two Deeds, one of which I got that round with the Bard. Felt good.

The hype is real.

I played it properly last night with 4, had an entire map full of dudes with the brenn winning until someone started a fight on when he had blown all his action cards. He had been so greedy going for the expansion that he had no where to retreat to and had to loose clan members. He lost 5 clans and someone pinched victory from under him.

My only gripe with Inis is keeping on top of who is getting what victory conditions this round.

Hey, guys. Currently deciding on getting Champions of Midgard and Clank!. Are these two games good for 2 players? If not, any recommendations for 2 player?

I will be playing mostly with my wife. Also, she doesn't really like narrative games like Arkham Horror LCG, which I intended to get.

Thank you.

Spookie

Hey, guys. Currently deciding on getting Champions of Midgard and Clank!. Are these two games good for 2 players? If not, any recommendations for 2 player?

Clank works ok with two people it's vastly superior with more though. If you're looking for a deck builder I guess 7 Wonders duel kinda fits that bill?

Clank works ok with two people it's vastly superior with more though. If you're looking for a deck builder I guess 7 Wonders duel kinda fits that bill?

Thanks for this. Although I'll mostly be playing with my wife, we occasionally play with my sisters (I forgot to add this bit. Sorry. :)). With this, is the original 7 Wonders also a good choice for two players? If not, I may get Duels and/or probably find another game for 2-4 players.

mercviper

Definitely Summoner Wars would be my vote, but as Kark said might be a tight fit in the lunch hour sometimes. I've only played it async on mobile so I don't have a really good feel for how long it would take in real time but I think it'd be doable. Another one to scratch that tactical combat game itch might be x-wing miniatures (no grid) or Neuroshima Hex! if you want a grid. If you can forgo movement on a map altogether, maybe Pixel Tactics. Google produced an old bgg thread with its own set of recommendations too but none that I saw would fit in a lunch hour (90 min was the shortest game I saw) https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/72043/looking-board-games-play-advance-wars-gba

Edit: With a little more digging, at a glance, Dust Tactics looks like everything you want in one expensive package, but I also have no personal experience with it.

But this is literally what you said happens in Avalon/Resistance too so how is there a problem lol... I actually prefer Resistance over ONUW btw, I just don't understand when people say they like Avalon/Resistance and hate ONUW because all the problems they have with ONUW exist in Resistance as well. When you narrow it down to 2-3 people in Resistance you can't really afford to spend 2 more attempts to know for sure who's good or evil and you have to add more people in later missions, of which it's still random to which side gets added. Yes you can look at the votes to determine but just like how lies evolve in ONUW so do people learn how to mask and mislead with their votes in Resistance.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with you not enjoying the game but to say it's devoid of logic as an avenue for solving the problem is what I really deny. Each villager ability gives clues about which side each person is on and that trail will for the most part lead to knowing who is a villager and who is one of tanner/minion/wolf. You can draw logic trails for both sides of the story and then weigh more truth to the side with more people on it, the side you've vetted with your own ability or the side that revealed new information earlier as it's harder for wolves to create cohesive stories when lacking all the information; wolves basically have to be really lucky or play it safe and be suspect anyway.

Obviously each group is different but I'd like to think that my playing with many different groups of people ranging in experience from completely new to social deduction to playing Avalon weekly would lend credence to me when I say that when I'm a villager I can voice logic in all my ONUW games and convince other villagers to pick someone that's a minion/tanner/wolf. If it's that final pick that's the problem then I don't see how it's not a problem in Resistance too.

Thanks for this. Although I'll mostly be playing with my wife, we occasionally play with my sisters (I forgot to add this bit. Sorry. :)). With this, is the original 7 Wonders also a good choice for two players? If not, I may get Duels and/or probably find another game for 2-4 players.

I would not pick OG 7 Wonders for its 2 player experience :p

mercviper

In that case another co-op for narrative would be Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I just wouldn't necessarily play it Rules As Written as RAW encourages you to be quick through each case, skipping a lot of what makes the game enjoyable to me.

Ohnonono

Just reporting in to say that A Feast for Odin is still devouring all board game time for me. Maybe I am just dumb but I never expected a game like this to click with me so well. Just hitting on every level for me.

emag

Thanks!

Puzzles and RPG mechanics don't generally go that well together, but look into the following:

Mansions of Madness 2e - coop Cthulhu themed mansion exploration with heavy narrative focus and puzzle-solving

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective/Mythos Tales - coop/single-player Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style investigation of mysteries (Mythos is Lovecraft inspired)

Escape the Room (various) - puzzles with some narrative. Not replayable, not really a board game (but inexpensive).

Descent 2e + Road to Legend companion app - dungeon-crawling coop featuring a lengthy campaign with character progression (app takes the role of DM)

Nezumi

Duly noted. Will get 7 Wonders Duels then.

Any other recommendations for 2-4 player games that plays good with 2 players?

Race/Roll for the Galaxy Little bit of a learning curve to get familiar with all the pictograms but once that is out of the way it plays really fast.

Karmaka I got this through the original Kickstarter campaign. Have only played it with two players but it does support up to four. Gorgeous art and a really interesting concept of what goes around comes around.

BattleCON Fantastic with two players but still fun with more. I would recommend either War of Indines or Devastation of Indines. Fate of Indines might be the cheapest of the games since it has the least characters but it is not the beginner friendliest of the bunch. Devastation is somewhat on the expensive side but you do get a hell of a lot game for your buck.

RaptorThis is two player only but it is so good that I can't recommend it enough. Great asymetrical strategy game with some really cool mechanics.

Neverfade

The hype is real.

My man.

We're going to get along just fine.

Iced

Uh.

DOOM.

DOOM is really bloody good at two players haha :D

I'm so happy to hear that. I have owned it for several weeks and have yet to bring it to the table, but it's good to know that the 2 player is solid, since that is how I'm going to play it first.

Neverfade

Has Doom done anything to curb the asinine power boost of marines in the way that Imperial Assault didn't when there were fewer heroes?

Experien

Oh so tempted to cancel my MM Destiny Gravity Feed and just go to FLGS and pick up one of their three. It would be more expensive but I wouldn't have to wait forever (Mid-December is now Late March?)

Has Doom done anything to curb the asinine power boost of marines in the way that Imperial Assault didn't when there were fewer heroes?

Everyone is OP but Marines are going for objectives instead of just killing? That's my guess.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Oh so tempted to cancel my MM Destiny Gravity Feed and just go to FLGS and pick up one of their three. It would be more expensive but I wouldn't have to wait forever (Mid-December is now Late March?)

Everyone is OP but Marines are going for objectives instead of just killing? That's my guess.

MM screwed everyone, Is support your local store and after opening see if you still want your MM order

Neverfade

I don't play Doom 2 player so forgive me if I'm just being ignorant, but the demon player's objective is still to kill marines yes? That was the problem in IA. Their boosted health and increased action made them near impossible to stop.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MM screwed everyone, Is support your local store and after opening see if you still want your MM order

Folks are saying shipments are coming in to FLGS by the end of the week but God knows what MM will be doing. I actually have zero issue when CSI jacks up prices of super-hot/rare games (and enjoy the entitlement of board gamers whining to the contrary) after filling their preorders. But ignoring long-time preorders to break open boosters for singles to sell doesn't sit well with me.

Top Bottom