• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Here's a link to the thread where a guy painted his: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1695281/painted-minis
Like I said, they have a competent paint job but I think that the unpainted minis look better than painted. If they were all just grey plastic, I would say "Yeah, they definitely could use some painting" but the stone and rock color of the plastic looks good already compared to a "paint them like humans" job.

Yeah that is a really good job... which is kind of nightmare fuel now.

Some sort of marble statue feel would probably work a lot better.

Since we were all snowed in yesterday, I got my daughter to convince my wife to try new (more complicate game) instead of keep playing Potion Explosion. My daughter suggested Orlean and my wife actually got the rule down pretty fast and was very competitive on her first game.

After everyone gone to bed I decided to start a new campaign of Arkham Horror LCG with Skids and Agnes. I am really happy how well this game replay even with the story elements. Yes the surprise is gone and you sort of know what to expect but the game mechanic and personalized deck aspect really help keep the game play fresh. I recently played Eldritch Horror (the new Dreamlands expansion) and while I still find that fun often times I felt there was very little I can do to mitigate bad stuffs and I am just along for the ride. One of the dislike I have with Eldritch and Arkham board game, is that as the game grew the theme cohesion is lost as cards and monster pool got bigger. In Arkham Horror (board game) I usually restrict to just base and expansion (or two) and I might have to start doing that with Eldritch Horror. That said, I find Arkham Horror LCG to be the best at keeping the theme cohesive because each one is customized by the story deck. I know that Eldritch try to do this with the Mystery and Great One deck but having random Mythos from another expansion just ruin the immersion for me. That said the Dreamlands expansion is much more enjoyable than the last one. The constant removing and adding skills plus gazillion check on reckoning effects just make Carcorsa such as hassle to play.

So far I have yet to be able to make spell user in Arkham LCG to be as effective as the guardian / hunter like Skids. I often find Agnes starved for resource and unable to cast any useful magic. I was going to go with another core set to expand deckbuilding aspect, but I think I am going to hold off and get Dunwitch and see what they add to the card pool. I got my in-law into this game also and hoping when we get together we each can build our one deck and play like RPG with our own character.

Lupercal

Banned
That sounds like Magic: The Gathering drafting to me. Which is what I was looking for! The game was already on my radar....might pick it up in a couple weeks. Sushi Go! Party and 7 Wonders seem pretty cool, as well. I should probably play my current crop of games I just bought before buying anymore, however.

My Gf loves sushi go party and is a great warmup game but Blood Rage does so much more.
I've been preparing her for it, so loves euro's but this is a bit different.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
haha saw a Destiny deck that basically goes for a Millennium Falcon on Turn One, and then spends the rest of the game Hyperspace Jumping anytime the opponent has a good roll.

I don't know if it's reliable enough for competitive play (needs that Falcon in hand first turn badly) - but it is hilarious

If ya'll need some drafting....

..Inis is waiting.

I actually bought Inis (should be arriving on Thursday along with Arkham Horror LCG!) and didn't realize there was drafting in it. That makes me even more excited for it. I bought that game almost soley on the art I saw, and the fact that Shut Up and Sit Down seemed really into it. I stumbled upon those guys during the last couple weeks when I started looking into Kingdom Death and oh man, with how excited they get about games it just sells me on them instantly and then makes ME excited about them. I also bought Pandemic Legacy just based off their video review, AND Arkham Horror LCG based off the end of their Top 5 Games of the year podcast. Wow...pretty much all my purchases were based off them being really excited about something. I hope my tastes end up matching up with theirs.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
So I love me some Mega Man and saw the review for the Pixel Tactics card game:

pic3243189.png
If it's basically Pixel Tactics with a MM skin, can anybody tell me how Pixel tactics is? You think this is worth the 20$?

If it's basically Pixel Tactics with a MM skin, can anybody tell me how Pixel tactics is? You think this is worth the 20$?

Pixel tactics is fantastic I highly recommend, game is totally worth $20 there is also a protoman and bass deck and a staroids expansion if you google the kick starter you might be able to late back and get all of the above.

If you'd rather try pixel tactics you can get the first game for less then $15 dollars any deck is stand alone and can be played 2 players (decks come with a red and blue mirror deck).

ChazAshley

Pixel tactics is fantastic I highly recommend, game is totally worth $20 there is also a protoman and bass deck and a staroids expansion if you google the kick starter you might be able to late back and get all of the above.

If you'd rather try pixel tactics you can get the first game for less then $15 dollars any deck is stand alone and can be played 2 players (decks come with a red and blue mirror deck).

Great thanks! Yeah I saw the Kickstarter expansions and was gonna hunker down on them if the actual game is good. :)

Great thanks! Yeah I saw the Kickstarter expansions and was gonna hunker down on them if the actual game is good. :)

On the horribly slim chance you live near Connecticut I'd offer to meet you and let you play it lol.

Edit: also be warned if you're like me once you discover how awesome PT is and Level 99 games are at making various board games you might go down the rabit hole like I did lol.

ChazAshley

On the horribly slim chance you live near Connecticut I'd offer to meet you and let you play it lol.

Edit: also be warned if you're like me once you discover how awesome PT is and Level 99 games are at making various board games you might go down the rabit hole like I did lol.

Sorry in Va ;(

I'm watching the video reviews for the normal pt right now and I can see how the expansion's can make this get outta hand. I'm gonna have to convince my play group to buy the rest :)

Mechs vs minions is a no brainer right? Considering the price and what you get in the box.

I'm on the verge of buying it without even liking League of Legends. I suppose it will be easy to sell it if I don't like it...

EYEL1NER

Mechs vs minions is a no brainer right? Considering the price and what you get in the box.

I'm on the verge of buying it without even liking League of Legends. I suppose it will be easy to sell it if I don't like it...
I've been pretty tempted too. I don't know anything about LoL or particularly want to learn anything about it. MvM is just a pretty game and seems to be a great price for the component quality. I never played RoboRally though and do not know if I would like a game where you program your movement and actions; I think the only game I have like that is Colt Express and I haven't played that either.

Lupercal

Banned

Yup, instabuy for me. It's a game anyone can enjoy and the quality alone makes it worth double the price.

Phthisis

Spent 8/9 hours playing Kingdom Death yesterday, incredible game with some really fun moments, highlight was bugs stealing a friend's genitals, leaving him smooth like a Ken doll.

Only negative from the whole 8/9 hours was a lot of referring to the rules for things, I think if you are going to play, really brush up on it. Incredibly hyped to jump back in and possibly restart it with the new understanding.

I didn't back the game or anything but a few friends went in on it large.

Ha, one of our survivors got this same event. Between that and the maimed leg, we decided to make him our settlement linguist. His fighting days are over, but he can still teach the kids how to speak!

panty

I don't know anything about LoL but I bought MvM almost immediately it came and the game is really good.

The whole package is so worth the price, the components are amazing and the gameplay is just right up my alley. There's a lot of content for that price.

zulux21

so I was involved with 3 games of secret hitler the other day (we had 11 and I didn't directly play as I was alright with being the odd one out)

it seemed like a far better game than I was expecting, but at the same time, it didn't really seem to be doing much that a game like resistance didn't already do.

a small shift in mission mechanics and to balance that give a little bit more chances to confirm information, but in general it was just a slightly more involved version of resistance that took about twice as long to play.

thus overall, if you enjoy those types of games I imagine it's a solid addition to your library, but if you just casually play them I think resistance is the much better choice.

at the very least both are leaps and bounds above the worst game in that genre... one night werewolf. that game is straight garbage @_@

let's take the worst round of werewolf and make it the whole game.

I love the idea of a fast game of werewolf, but I just don't get how people have fun with one night beyond the first couple plays.

In a different thought, does anyone have any copies of Nightmare 2-4 or the Atmosfear board game? my friend digs nightmare, and I have a copy of the first one, but they are all really expensive so I would prefer to try to trade for a copy of the others if anyone has one they don't want.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
haha saw a Destiny deck that basically goes for a Millennium Falcon on Turn One, and then spends the rest of the game Hyperspace Jumping anytime the opponent has a good roll.

I don't know if it's reliable enough for competitive play (needs that Falcon in hand first turn badly) - but it is hilarious

Feel like I heard about that somewhere...is it slow though? I'm playing this Padme+Troopers defensive shell mill deck but it just has zero tournament viability even though it can beat good decks because even remotely slow play means games take 50m+. That's OK though -- I know it's a balancing act and I wouldn't necessarily want to be playing slow mill decks all day. 35m is probably too tight though tbh. Heavily favors aggro.

My day of gaming...was pretty much Destiny 5-midnight w/ wife and friend. Ah, lifestyle games. :p

Protome

I was super bummed out when the kickstarter for this didn't ship outside of the US :/

Karkador

Banned
at the very least both are leaps and bounds above the worst game in that genre... one night werewolf. that game is straight garbage @_@

I love the idea of a fast game of werewolf, but I just don't get how people have fun with one night beyond the first couple plays.

I've probably played more games of WW/Mafia than ONUW at this point, and I guess I'd generally agree that I'd prefer a longer, fleshed out game of WW than a minigame.

On the other hand, I think ONUW is fun as a training game, since it takes place at the point in WW when you have the most space to lie and try to make stuff up and experiment with plays. You can run a few as a warm up to a full game.

Dreavus

Played "5 minute delivery" the other day, a friend had his kickstarter come in for it.

It's pretty fun! Super light game with a somewhat quick set up (I wish it was quicker actually but it's not too bad). It's a game of finding your best route through a maze-like town, dropping off packages at specific locations. The whole trick with the game is that the movement is determined by a 5 minute scenario sound piece and plays in real time, where a narrator tells you how far you can move every few seconds. They're also themed around the game (a town of goblins who are kind of dumb and bad at scheduling)

It's a lot of quick thinking and basically plays on the "honours" system, because the moment a new movement number is announced you're supposed to switch to using that, even if you're in the middle of a move. But it's not like this is really that enforceable because everyone is worried about their own movement. It gets pretty frantic and you don't have a lot of time to find the place you need to go, find the route, and move while the narrator's moving on to another number.

There's no interaction other than physically getting in someone's way moving your piece around.

(This is a non-scenario version you can play which interacts with the other players a bit more but it's not as good. Basically, you roll a die to determine the number spaces each player can move, then the first player done their move rolls again. A new roll means it "overwrites" the previous roll. This means if someone knows where they want to go they can move-roll-move-roll and it's pretty ripe for abuse. We stuck to the scenarios!)

I liked the game more than I thought I would. Real time games usually aren't my cup of tea since they're prone timing clashes (as a casual MTG player, this drives me nuts), but having the narrator play out and do his thing puts some of that "blame" on the recording, which is nice. Plus you're not really directly battling anyone so it's rarely a "who said it first" situation. I would never "plan" to play this game but as a filler/warm-up it was fun.

wowzors

Hey guys

I just recently licked up one night werewolves and am loving it.

On top of that I have picked up Star Wars Imperial Assault, Jabba Realm expansion, jabba villain pack, boba villain pack and ig88 villain pack.

Does anyone on here have pointers/tutorials on painting the figures, also a good pain set to buy?

My brother sighed the army painter mega paint set 2

emag

I could not disagree more.

ONUW is a game I'm always up to play, with almost anyone. Almost everyone has unique, meaningful information, and the [sub]goal of determining which cards were switched in the night phase gives solid momentum to the discussion.

Regular Werewolf I wouldn't play without some sort of hypothetical group of hypothetical people that don't try to "roleplay", lean on out-of-game relationships, lose interest, or behave boorishly. Regular Werewolf also usually has a way higher villager-to-special-roles ratio (or turns completely chaotic) and takes far too long to play.

Eh I haven't had good experience with One Night Werewolf. Almost everyone I've tried it with is like "wait... that's it?" "This isn't a game" "so random"

zulux21

Eh I haven't had good experience with One Night Werewolf. Almost everyone I've tried it with is like "wait... that's it?" "This isn't a game" "so random"

yup... while there is some info due to special roles it's never enough.

with absolutely no tells from previous rounds if everyone is good at lying there just isn't any way to figure out who is who. it's basically... oh I have a little information... I have removed 20% of the people and have to vote on the remaining 80% randomly.

I mean I can see why someone might enjoy the game, but to me it cut it down to much and resulted in garbage design and gameplay due to it.

I mean I appreciate the idea since regular werewolf tends to be to long for its own good, but I would much rather play resistance, bang, don't mess with Cthulhu or various other hidden role games instead.

Blizzard

Banned
Bang not only has super early player elimination if someone is unlucky (like werewolf), but it can take FOREVER with healing depending on the cards. Playing with a bunch of players and having general stores, or even worse the expansion character that acts as a general store, is a nightmare.

Experien

Hey guys

I just recently licked up one night werewolves and am loving it.

On top of that I have picked up Star Wars Imperial Assault, Jabba Realm expansion, jabba villain pack, boba villain pack and ig88 villain pack.

Does anyone on here have pointers/tutorials on painting the figures, also a good pain set to buy?

My brother sighed the army painter mega paint set 2

Imperial Assault was my first mini I started to paint. Sorastro's YouTube Series is a great place to start to get some ideas.

Bang not only has super early player elimination if someone is unlucky (like werewolf), but it can take FOREVER with healing depending on the cards. Playing with a bunch of players and having general stores, or even worse the expansion character that acts as a general store, is a nightmare.

We like Bang! dice better, plays similar but faster

zulux21

sorry, I was talking about the dice game, forgot about the card one as we only play the dice one.

I also don't play with a huge group, 6 players. tends to take about 15-20 minutes, and the expansion even adds an element to help combat if someone dies really early by adding a ghost.

Dreavus

I could not disagree more.

ONUW is a game I'm always up to play, with almost anyone. Almost everyone has unique, meaningful information, and the [sub]goal of determining which cards were switched in the night phase gives solid momentum to the discussion.

Regular Werewolf I wouldn't play without some sort of hypothetical group of hypothetical people that don't try to "roleplay", lean on out-of-game relationships, lose interest, or behave boorishly. Regular Werewolf also usually has a way higher villager-to-special-roles ratio (or turns completely chaotic) and takes far too long to play.

I've run a couple of OG werewolf games with a few added characters. I think it was mostly vanilla except we added ghost to make it a bit more interesting for the first death. And low and behold, most of what you're talking about happened in both. And even outside of that, the core of the game is eliminating people which really isn't what you want in a big party-game type of gathering (or at the very least you need a very specific set up for this to not kill interest).

This was years ago at this point though. At least moderating was fun!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bang! Dice Game is one of the only 6p+ games I really enjoy. Mysterium with the right group is pretty good too. But Bang!TDG is almost always a hit with any group. NB: I don't like social-deduction games.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Feel like I heard about that somewhere...is it slow though? I'm playing this Padme+Troopers defensive shell mill deck but it just has zero tournament viability even though it can beat good decks because even remotely slow play means games take 50m+. That's OK though -- I know it's a balancing act and I wouldn't necessarily want to be playing slow mill decks all day. 35m is probably too tight though tbh. Heavily favors aggro.

My day of gaming...was pretty much Destiny 5-midnight w/ wife and friend. Ah, lifestyle games. :p

I don't think it's that slow, per se. I mean, it ends turns rapidly and quickly if the dice are against it and just tries again as it can essentially infinitely Hyperspace Jump between the Falcon + Throne Room, as long as it activates the Falcon first.

Basically activate Falcon, let them roll - if they roll good, you end the turn. If they roll bad, you activate Poe and get damage in and then run. You can't even really use Jango against it cause it's a support that is activating.

Timing would be tough.

Not super viable because it's 1000% reliant on getting a Falcon. It'll basically play keep away if it pulls a Falcon on 1st or 2nd turn.

It'll lose though if it doesn't get the Falcon quickly, which is fairly likely.

zulux21

Bang! Dice Game is one of the only 6p+ games I really enjoy. Mysterium with the right group is pretty good too. But Bang!TDG is almost always a hit with any group. NB: I don't like social-deduction games.

code names is fine with a big group as well,

dixit surprisingly wasn't horrible with 9 players.

red dragon inn is interesting with a bunch of players lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
code names is fine with a big group as well,

dixit surprisingly wasn't horrible with 9 players.

Good point on Codenames. It's funny I didn't even think of it because at those counts I almost consider it more an activity than a board game of that makes sense. Same with stuff like Dixit and Telestrations.

zulux21

Good point on Codenames. It's funny I didn't even think of it because at those counts I almost consider it more an activity than a board game of that makes sense. Same with stuff like Dixit and Telestrations.

in general though yeah if you have a bunch of players break into two groups.

if you are playing a eurogame 4 players max.

if you are playing ghost stories, congrats on losing :p

Got a dice tray from Easy Roller and that thing is highly recommended. So satisfying wildly chucking dice in there without having to worry about them splashing around. Also think I found the perfect solution for Destiny decks + dice -- just old-school simple deckboxes are really a perfect fit.

Yeah I think this is the right way to go about it for me. Just don't have the experience, time, or energy to be the one leading the charge on it though I'd be very happy to tag along for the experience.

That look like a good solution, those deck boxes always take me back to my CCG tournament days. It really was a lifestyle game in a way it was kind of nice to only play one game and buy only one game just like playing MMO.

these guys make a nice tray for Dice Masters, and they are planning KS Destiny version.

http://www.zenbins.com/where-to-buy-zen-bins/

Palmer_v1

I'll always recommend Bang: The Dice Game. It's one of the easier "party" games to teach, plays quickly, and incorporates dice rolling, which some people just love.

Aaron

Red Dragon Inn seemed like too much reading when I first tried it with my group, but next week they asked to give it another try... and I didn't bother bringing it. My group is really hit or miss though. The default game is Avalon and the biggest success is Betrayal with the Widow's Walk expansion. I'd love to bring Dead of Winter in, but we meet at a resturaunt, and that game has way too many moving parts for that set up. Last game night, one woman knocked over two separate drinks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I want a new solo game. Feast For Odin keeps coming up in this thread, so that seems interesting. Any other games you guys are playing solo that work super well?

zulux21

Red Dragon Inn seemed like too much reading when I first tried it with my group, but next week they asked to give it another try... and I didn't bother bringing it. My group is really hit or miss though. The default game is Avalon and the biggest success is Betrayal with the Widow's Walk expansion. I'd love to bring Dead of Winter in, but we meet at a resturaunt, and that game has way too many moving parts for that set up. Last game night, one woman knocked over two separate drinks.

red dragon isn't too bad on the reading side. the first time can be a bit, you have plenty of time to read your cards between turns :p

Mr E.

I want a new solo game. Feast For Odin keeps coming up in this thread, so that seems interesting. Any other games you guys are playing solo that work super well?

Gates of Loyang is probably Uwes best solo for me.

As for something a bit longer try The Colonists too for a Euro solo.

joelseph

Besides the usual suspects: Lotr, Arkham LCG, Space Hulk, Friday, etc.

I personally enjoy Hostage Negotiator and Samurai Spirit.

Also heard good things about Five Tribes and Valley of Kings

I highly recommend Feast for Odin. It's one of Uwe's best designs, personally. It's just a lot of fun exploring all the different paths and a game you can markedly see yourself getting better at as you keep playing. As for other solo games, pretty much any co-op I'll play solo. Dawn of the Zeds, Xenoshyft: Dreadmire, Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror LCG. Aeon's End in particular is a cool solo/co-op deck builder that does away with certain conventions and has a large amount of replayability.

I've never had a bad experience.

Some games you don't have enough info, so you just lie until someone messes up and gives you the info you need.

So I don't want to say you are necessarily playing it wrong, but you are probably playing it a bit wrong.

Also getting drunk helps. It is great fun.

Blizzard

Banned
I HIGHLY recommend Feast for Odin solo if you like optimization. The 100+ occupation cards mean each game has a slightly different best path. You've probably also seen the restriction challenges I've put together if you get bored with the base game.

Viticulture and especially Scythe have good solo modes if you're considering other Euros, though I still like Feast for Odin better since you don't have to run an AI player.

I've never tried Valley of the Kings solo but I imagine it would work fine. Race for the Galaxy has a complicated-looking AI player I haven't tried. I just recently picked up the new Robinson Crusoe edition but haven't tried it solo.

Karkador

Banned
The Onirim series is great for solo, too. I think so far my favorite in the series is Sylvion. It's like Plants vs Zombies with a drafting mechanic you use to build your initial deck.

Any company people recommend that can do custom sized gaming mats? Looking to get one to put into my geek chic table that's better for card gaming, the plastic game vault floor is not exactly good for card gaming, and would need something about 3x5. Wargame mats of same type of card game mat material are typically smaller or larger. So wondering if anyone does custom sizing, do see lot of custom artwork companies for mats

I've never had a bad experience.

Some games you don't have enough info, so you just lie until someone messes up and gives you the info you need.

So I don't want to say you are necessarily playing it wrong, but you are probably playing it a bit wrong.

Also getting drunk helps. It is great fun.

We know how to play the game, and it just is pretty dull.

Can get drunk and have much more fun with so many other party games

A Feast for Odin is really fun for solo gaming as you can try different strategies and try to better your score. My current favorite Euro solo is Orleans with the Invasion expansion when I need a break from Odin. Scythe is also pretty good playing solo once you figure out how to use the Automa deck.

As for non-Euro, it's definitely Akham Horror LCG as new favorite. My old go to game for solo is Mage Knight but it is a bear to lean (and set up).

Top Bottom