• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Folks are saying shipments are coming in to FLGS by the end of the week but God knows what MM will be doing. I actually have zero issue when CSI jacks up prices of super-hot/rare games (and enjoy the entitlement of board gamers whining to the contrary) after filling their preorders. But ignoring long-time preorders to break open boosters for singles to sell doesn't sit well with me.

I'm sure MM will probably supply a chunk of Dec preorders.

I still have two starters on preorder here but will probably go trolling the FLGS on Friday to look for Rey especially. Gotta get that Force throw

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm sure MM will probably supply a chunk of Dec preorders.

I still have two starters on preorder here but will probably go trolling the FLGS on Friday to look for Rey especially. Gotta get that Force throw

That reminds me I was going to comment on that. I know Force Throw is pretty standard in Han/Rey (1x or 2x) but I actually cut it because it's really expensive for a card that's probably going to get only two rolls in many cases, and is dead once Rey's dead. That might be slightly counterintuitive since its special can save you damage, but keep in mind the deck has no focus outside of OWTF. Just something to consider as you're testing the deck. After about 5 or so games, I definitely lightened up on Blue Character Only cards, even though I have lots of defense and a fair amount of control in my Events list:
x1 Deflect
x2 Disarm
x2 Draw Attention
x2 Electroshock
x1 Heroism
x2 Riposte
x2 Scramble
x2 Unpredictable

Experien

Folks are saying shipments are coming in to FLGS by the end of the week but God knows what MM will be doing. I actually have zero issue when CSI jacks up prices of super-hot/rare games (and enjoy the entitlement of board gamers whining to the contrary) after filling their preorders. But ignoring long-time preorders to break open boosters for singles to sell doesn't sit well with me.

CSI starting selling singles too. They are even selling the tokens separately.

Experien

But I believe CSI actually delivered the product to those who initially preordered. Problem with MM is that people didn't get their stuff they preordered while ago, while MM was opening and selling singles

Both stores obviously opening product up. The other week customer service claims that FFG stiffed them with orders. I'll give it a week and then cancel my order and just go to FLGS.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Both stores obviously opening product up. The other week customer service claims that FFG stiffed them with orders. I'll give it a week and then cancel my order and just go to FLGS.

These are two different issues and I don't think they should be conflated because they're very important to consumer expectations. The one you are raising seems to be that you don't think stores should open up boxes, and instead should be offering them for sale (presumably at MSRP or below). Absent some contractual commitment, I don't see why they should have to do that. If the market's hot, and you'll make more money selling them as singles, then go for it. imo imo imo

The MM issue is screwing apparently hundreds of preorders and putting tons of product on sale while at the same time pushing back people's preorders by months. That is a big deal to me because it means I can't rely on you to honor your preorder, so I'll definitely go someplace that does (CSI, in my experience).

Blizzard

Banned
I used to have great experiences with CSI, but oddly enough I started having preorder gripes with them so I switched to MM (until my Robinson Crusoe problem).

With CSI, I was trying to preorder a game that everywhere else had up, but CSI wouldn't even put me on the list since it wasn't in the store, or tell me once it appeared on the list, and they had no information about when it would appear there (I even went through customer support). So my options were to wait indefinitely with no communication, or choose a store that put me on a waiting list immediately.

Question for Mechs and Minions owners: I usually play a few games of any board game I want to present to my friends, before I play it with them. Like many I suspect I do it to familiarize myself with the gameplay and rules. My question is: I played the tutorial solo and had a blast, how much do I spoil by opening the other mission envelopes?

Experien

These are two different issues and I don't think they should be conflated because they're very important to consumer expectations. The one you are raising seems to be that you don't think stores should open up boxes, and instead should be offering them for sale (presumably at MSRP or below). Absent some contractual commitment, I don't see why they should have to do that. If the market's hot, and you'll make more money selling them as singles, then go for it. imo imo imo

The MM issue is screwing apparently hundreds of preorders and putting tons of product on sale while at the same time pushing back people's preorders by months. That is a big deal to me because it means I can't rely on you to honor your preorder, so I'll definitely go someplace that does (CSI, in my experience).

You are correct, this is my first dabbling in a "CCG" type thing and a lot of this is turning me off. Only have one starter so I can't really see if I like the game. Just a lot of things building up and frustrating me.

But people didn't get screwed over by CSI, they fulfilled their initial orders, unlike MM which clearly held product back to sell singles. CSI actually had product available on site and in stores to sell and delivered to their customers. MM just told people they had to wait for the product while opening up tons of packs to sell singles.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I used to have great experiences with CSI, but oddly enough I started having preorder gripes with them so I switched to MM (until my Robinson Crusoe problem).

With CSI, I was trying to preorder a game that everywhere else had up, but CSI wouldn't even put me on the list since it wasn't in the store, or tell me once it appeared on the list, and they had no information about when it would appear there (I even went through customer support). So my options were to wait indefinitely with no communication, or choose a store that put me on a waiting list immediately.

So CSI is almost rigid about if they don't have stock or a reliable date and amount of stock, they will simply not list it for order. I guess this can be annoying if you still want to get on an unreliable waiting list, but in my experience (literally 100+ orders at this point I think) they are very reliable for actually fulfilling the preorders they take, absent publisher delay.

Guys if you have 100 dollars just get Food Chain Magnate. You also have to like mean games and crushing peoples dreams. Being able to survive extreme mid game depression also is needed as well as not flipping the table when someone scores 15x your points. You also should like games where you have to do 10 things every turn but can only fit 5 or 6. And losing. Gotta like that.

It's a little weird how well this sales pitch is working on me.

Spookie

Has Doom done anything to curb the asinine power boost of marines in the way that Imperial Assault didn't when there were fewer heroes?

There isn't any upgrades and if you have more weapons you have a bigger deck therefore it's more difficult to predict what you'll get and can mess with your risk/reward push for glory kills. It's a deck builder meets Imperial Assault. You'll be drawing cards and playing them for defense/effects. It's a weird one but I'd almost go as far and say I prefer its method of combat resolution to IA. But to prefix that I am a fucking humongous fan of Kemet.

Kemet is god tier, almost wipes Arcadia Quest off my top 1-3 spot.

Palmer_v1

How does Essen compared to Gencon?

I'm vaguely planning a trip to Germany next year, and wasn't sure if a single day pass was possible or even worth the trouble.

Uh.

DOOM.

DOOM is really bloody good at two players haha :D

Race/Roll for the Galaxy Little bit of a learning curve to get familiar with all the pictograms but once that is out of the way it plays really fast.

Karmaka I got this through the original Kickstarter campaign. Have only played it with two players but it does support up to four. Gorgeous art and a really interesting concept of what goes around comes around.

BattleCON Fantastic with two players but still fun with more. I would recommend either War of Indines or Devastation of Indines. Fate of Indines might be the cheapest of the games since it has the least characters but it is not the beginner friendliest of the bunch. Devastation is somewhat on the expensive side but you do get a hell of a lot game for your buck.

RaptorThis is two player only but it is so good that I can't recommend it enough. Great asymetrical strategy game with some really cool mechanics.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I don't think she'll like DOOM, although I would. I'll be checking out the rest of the games. Hopefully, at least one will be available locally.

Lyng

Thanks for the recommendations.

I don't think she'll like DOOM, although I would. I'll be checking out the rest of the games. Hopefully, at least one will be available locally.

I second Race for the Galaxy. Such a brilliant game. One of my wife's favorites!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
That reminds me I was going to comment on that. I know Force Throw is pretty standard in Han/Rey (1x or 2x) but I actually cut it because it's really expensive for a card that's probably going to get only two rolls in many cases, and is dead once Rey's dead. That might be slightly counterintuitive since its special can save you damage, but keep in mind the deck has no focus outside of OWTF. Just something to consider as you're testing the deck. After about 5 or so games, I definitely lightened up on Blue Character Only cards, even though I have lots of defense and a fair amount of control in my Events list:
x1 Deflect
x2 Disarm
x2 Draw Attention
x2 Electroshock
x1 Heroism
x2 Riposte
x2 Scramble
x2 Unpredictable

yeah, I don't know if it's really for Han/Rey as much as it is for Villain / Blue/Jabba control with holocrons.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Regarding Santorini:
I played the first match today and... this game is devious. Just as a reference: I love my complex games and am certainly not afraid of challenges. The seemingly small board size of 5x5 and cutesy appearance masks many of the underlying intricacies. I already expected it to have some difficulty based on the uses of the different player powers, but it started to really click once I sat down with it today.

It has super simple rules, but opens up a lot with devious blocking tactics and that does not even take the special powers into account. The current $80 investment might not be easy to swallow, but my girlfriend and me will get a lot of longevity out of this, as it really suits the limited time for our 2 player needs well. Its short, intricate, adorable, challenging and has basically endless variability with the player powers and different game modes.

Very glad I bought it.

Alpha_eX

2 player hits for me are

Jaipur, collect and sell good on an open market, time your sales for best profit.

Patchwork, fill in a grid with Tetris like peices

Lost Cities, fast paced card game, very easy to pick up. Build decks sequentially, don't overshoot or you loose

The Game, brilliant co-op card game, it's basically devilishly tricky solitare, lots of communication

Those are top of my mind.

2 player hits for me are

Jaipur, collect and sell good on an open market, time your sales for best profit.

Patchwork, fill in a grid with Tetris like peices

Lost Cities, fast paced card game, very easy to pick up. Build decks sequentially, don't overshoot or you loose

The Game, brilliant co-op card game, it's basically devilishly tricky solitare, lots of communication

Those are top of my mind.

They are all excellent. Lost Cities especially should be top of the list and I'm hoping the upcoming medici card game will be similar.

Splendor is the other main one and Karuba is worth a look.

JesseZao

Good mentions already; Other 2-player games I enjoy:

7 Wonders Duel
YINSH
A Few Acres of Snow
Dominion
Innovation
Hive
Twilight Struggle
Summoner Wars
Blood Bowl: Team Manager

Noaloha

What's the deal with Inis? -- I visited a local store shortly after the holidays (Alphaspel, outskirts of Stockholm) to grab another AHLCG core. While there I, as an aside, asked for a price on Inis / was it in stock / etc. The chap looked for it but it wasn't even present on their system. When I got home I took a look at their website and, nope, not a mention. I was surprised, but I'm assuming I'm just ignorant of how retailers get hold of their stock.

I don't know the ins and outs of how all that works. Is Inis some kind of limited release, or a 'certain suppliers only' thing, or some other low-key production that makes it rare not only in stock but also in reach?

Spookie

What's the deal with Inis? -- I visited a local store shortly after the holidays (Alphaspel, outskirts of Stockholm) to grab another AHLCG core. While there I, as an aside, asked for a price on Inis / was it in stock / etc. The chap looked for it but it wasn't even present on their system. When I got home I took a look at their website and, nope, not a mention. I was surprised, but I'm assuming I'm just ignorant of how retailers get hold of their stock.

I don't know the ins and outs of how all that works. Is Inis some kind of limited release, or a 'certain suppliers only' thing, or some other low-key production that makes it rare not only in stock but also in reach?

From what I gather ALL the English stock allocated to Europe was sent to the USA instead leaving us to wait for a reprint. The reprint was due to January but last time I asked about it, it had slipped. The only way to get an English copy at the moment is via import from HERE but stock is come and go. I got my copy from there and it was a US import copy.

Keasar

From what I gather ALL the English stock allocated to Europe was sent to the USA instead leaving us to wait for a reprint. The reprint was due to January but last time I asked about it, it had slipped. The only way to get an English copy at the moment is via import from HERE but stock is come and go. I got my copy from there and it was a US import copy.

Well, that explains why there are at least French copies of everywhere. :p

joelseph

Going to play boardgames for 3 days straight this holiday weekend. 10-20 buddies, sleepover, tons of food and alcohol. This is what we live for! Bringing all kinds of stuff but looking forward to Clank!, Automobiles, Arkham LCG, and Five Tribes the most.

panty

Has Doom done anything to curb the asinine power boost of marines in the way that Imperial Assault didn't when there were fewer heroes?
Okay, I have only played the tutorial and the first mission (multiple times, even with house rules) but if you're playing 1 marine vs 1 invader player, the marine will just run past the demons, it's borderline impossible for the demons to win the first mission.

We'll play the 2nd mission tonight.

panty

Question for Mechs and Minions owners: I usually play a few games of any board game I want to present to my friends, before I play it with them. Like many I suspect I do it to familiarize myself with the gameplay and rules. My question is: I played the tutorial solo and had a blast, how much do I spoil by opening the other mission envelopes?
Not much imo. It's a story, you advance with each envelope. I dont think it'll matter if you open it beforehand. Great game btw!

Palmer_v1

Going to play boardgames for 3 days straight this holiday weekend. 10-20 buddies, sleepover, tons of food and alcohol. This is what we live for! Bringing all kinds of stuff but looking forward to Clank!, Automobiles, Arkham LCG, and Five Tribes the most.

Are all 10-20 people sleeping over, cause damn I hope you have a big house.

Or are into orgies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This sounds awesome. I wish there were more people like this near me.

lordxar

Got to try a few new things lately.

Dragon and Flagon was fun but we only had three people so it seemed a bit tame. I'm betting more people is better.

Joking Hazard is bad ass. It's Cards Against Humanity with cartoon boners.

Kittens in a Blender was great too right up until I get blocked trying to blend...that hell yea moment of spite became a total letdown...

Protome

Joking Hazard is bad ass. It's Cards Against Humanity with cartoon boners.

I tried hard to like Joking Hazard. I think it's a cool concept and when it works it's funnier than CAH ever was. But it rarely works.

I think Billionaire Banshee is my stupid and funny party game of choice now.

I did really like Kitten in a Blender the two times I played it, my girlfriend actively refuses to play it now though. Naming each of the kittens is the most evil thing ever.

Ok, so I've got some questions about Pandemic Legacy. Me and my group of friends have never played Pandemic before. I've also been finding it a bit hard to get everyone together to play the game, and maintain some kind of schedule. Is it possible to start playing the game with say 4 people, then the next session only have 2 or 3, and pick it up again with the 4th another time or would the ruin the game?

Also, how viable is just playing it with 2 people? I assume it works best with at least a consistent group of 3, but I'm not sure I'll always have that available.

Protome

Ok, so I've got some questions about Pandemic Legacy. Me and my group of friends have never played Pandemic before. I've also been finding it a bit hard to get everyone together to play the game, and maintain some kind of schedule. Is it possible to start playing the game with say 4 people, then the next session only have 2 or 3, and pick it up again with the 4th another time or would the ruin the game?

Also, how viable is just playing it with 2 people? I assume it works best with at least a consistent group of 3, but I'm not sure I'll always have that available.

You could totally play it with people dropping in and out but those people wouldn't really get the benefit of the system and might be a bit confused by some of the stuff it adds. It's really designed to add things as players learn what was added before, if that makes sense?

Also 2 players works great, that's how I've been playing it (I'm only on Month 3 so far!) Like regular Pandemic it makes it quite a bit easier but still, it's a lot of fun. I've also heard that the difficulty catches up a bit in 2 player Pandemic Legacy eventually.

Top Bottom