• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Alpha_eX

They are all excellent. Lost Cities especially should be top of the list and I'm hoping the upcoming medici card game will be similar.

Splendor is the other main one and Karuba is worth a look.

Splendor and Karuba are two of my favourite casual games, both great in 2 player. Karuba is hugely improved by the limited 2016 promo, which lets all players pick the next tile from a pot with the chance of getting a free tile, lets the picker choose which tile to play.

Has anyone here played Mask of Anubis?

It's an app assisted VR co-op game in which one player uses the 'mask' to look into the VR room and then describe in real time to the other players what they see, they try to map it out. Players take turn mapping the description and hopefully, it joins up to form a path through a temple. Love it!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Another Elder Sign expansion announced. I can't keep up!

Yeah I love Elder Sign and Eldritch but think I'm pretty much exactly topped out on expansions for them. Especially with Arkham LCG probably being my main Arkham Files game now. Elder Sign especially is in such a perfect place if you have the expansions up through Gates of Arkham.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's a little wild to me FFG went ahead and announced the new Destiny expansion while still not having entirely gotten the first wave of Awakenings fully on shelves.

(but the new expansion looks cool!)

Chris R

You could totally play it with people dropping in and out but those people wouldn't really get the benefit of the system and might be a bit confused by some of the stuff it adds. It's really designed to add things as players learn what was added before, if that makes sense?

Also 2 players works great, that's how I've been playing it (I'm only on Month 3 so far!) Like regular Pandemic it makes it quite a bit easier but still, it's a lot of fun. I've also heard that the difficulty catches up a bit in 2 player Pandemic Legacy eventually.

Yup, stuff is building on other stuff all the time. We are in July or August and there are so many new things being thrown at us every single game.

I'm just afraid we won't ever open box 8 :(

It's a little wild to me FFG went ahead and announced the new Destiny expansion while still not having entirely gotten the first wave of Awakenings fully on shelves.

(but the new expansion looks cool!)

The expansion would have been completed and submitted to the factories in China already before they even released the first set to market. Same happened with Dice Masters, with typical 2-3 month boat shipping and month or two of production time, FFG always has to reserve their production slots months in advanced for products.

As they have said in past, typically best that can be done is delaying something else to free up its production slot for a quick reprint or 2nd run of a product. As with most board game companies, they don't own the factory which usually produces product for multiple companies, so everyone has to claim production slots months ahead.

zulux21

The CAH-genre fad doesn't seem to be dying anytime soon.

I know. just need to keep track of them so I don't play it.
I figure they are better with booze, but since I don't drink and don't play with people who drink they just come off very immature and unfunny. *shrugs*

no fun allowed I guess :p

Experien

Played Secret Hitler twice recently, it didn't hit me why it is so great. We played an odd number of people and it seems just too easy for Fascists to win. They always had control and as soon as they could win, they did. Also this is almost as bad as werewolf with player "elimination" because you could play a game and potentially not even do a thing. My first game, I was a liberal and no one made me chancellor and never got a chance to be a president until the last or 2nd to last turn. And then my turn was just picking a chancellor and handing him 3 Fascist Documents, great gameplay?

And I see this semi-falling in the CAH category since everyone just wanted to call each other a Fascist or Hitler (days later and people are still screaming fascist at each other, ugh). Definitely see why some people are jumping over it for that reason alone nowadays, I am already getting tired of hearing it.

zulux21

Played Secret Hitler twice recently, it didn't hit me why it is so great. We played an odd number of people and it seems just too easy for Fascists to win. They always had control and as soon as they could win, they did. Also this is almost as bad as werewolf with player "elimination" because you could play a game and potentially not even do a thing. My first game, I was a liberal and no one made me chancellor and never got a chance to be a president until the last or 2nd to last turn. And then my turn was just picking a chancellor and handing him 3 Fascist Documents, great gameplay?

And I see this semi-falling in the CAH category since everyone just wanted to call each other a Fascist or Hitler (days later and people are still screaming fascist at each other, ugh). Definitely see why some people are jumping over it for that reason alone nowadays, I am already getting tired of hearing it.

the CAH stuff is most likely because secret hitler is from one of the creators of CAH.

it's a much better game than CAH, and unlike CAH it actually has slightly different mechanics than other social deduction games so it at least isn't like CAH where it's just pure apples to apples but with naughty words.

beyond that, it was okay. don't really see a point to own it if you have resistance, but at the same time if you like the hitler theme I can see someone enjoying it more than resistance.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The expansion would have been completed and submitted to the factories in China already before they even released the first set to market. Same happened with Dice Masters, with typical 2-3 month boat shipping and month or two of production time, FFG always has to reserve their production slots months in advanced for products.

As they have said in past, typically best that can be done is delaying something else to free up its production slot for a quick reprint or 2nd run of a product. As with most board game companies, they don't own the factory which usually produces product for multiple companies, so everyone has to claim production slots months ahead.

oh, I understand all of that.

I just meant the optics of announcing the new set before the first wave has even finished hitting stores.

I get that FFG's usual model is announce the next expansion around the same time they release one...

Destiny has just been an interesting rollout for them. I might've held off announcing for another week or two until I could proclaim the game was more available.

joelseph

I tried hard to like Joking Hazard. I think it's a cool concept and when it works it's funnier than CAH ever was. But it rarely works.

I think Billionaire Banshee is my stupid and funny party game of choice now.

Fibbage on PC is amazing party game, but it's digital.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tom & Jason had a Dice Masters vs. Destiny video. Tom picked DM and Jason Destiny, but short of sort of being in the bag for WizKids (they do get promos from them and the like) have no idea where Tom's Dice Masters infatuation comes from. A game with awful aesthetics and components (literal bent cards regularly) based on the garbage Quarriors system is...top 10? Anyway glad I can finally play a legit good dice & card game because I've always loved the idea but all the ones before Destiny were trash tier (imo! ;))

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Tom & Jason had a Dice Masters vs. Destiny video. Tom picked DM and Jason Destiny, but short of sort of being in the bag for WizKids (they do get promos from them and the like) have no idea where Tom's Dice Masters infatuation comes from. A game with awful aesthetics and components (literal bent cards regularly) based on the garbage Quarriors system is...top 10? Anyway glad I can finally play a legit good dice & card game because I've always loved the idea but all the ones before Destiny were trash tier (imo! ;))

MM has Spirit of the Rebellion up for pre-order, btw...

Experien

the CAH stuff is most likely because secret hitler is from one of the creators of CAH.

it's a much better game than CAH, and unlike CAH it actually has slightly different mechanics than other social deduction games so it at least isn't like CAH where it's just pure apples to apples but with naughty words.

beyond that, it was okay. don't really see a point to own it if you have resistance, but at the same time if you like the hitler theme I can see someone enjoying it more than resistance.

CAH just published it (friends were strong to point it out), I will admit that them publishing it gave me a little bit of hope of some depth. There is a tiny bit.

I actually am looking for a good, new, deduction/silly party game like these but not resistance/werewolf/this, use to be Good Cop Bad Cop but we are tired of that.

Tom's fanboy is being able to make those silly fights of Wolverine vs Superman and likes comics. If it was Star Wars and DC and Marvel was alone, I'd think he'd go for Destiny. Also ignores Jason on the cards being messed up. He wants quantity over quality. I feel that is the whole mindset of Dice Tower, tons and tons of reviews but are they worth it if most games are approved? I've been disappointed with them recently.

It is funny they said with Dice Masters you can instantly use them when don't a lot of the Hero cards work best with 2-4 dice? And don't most people only do one dice Heroes in Destiny?

Oh snap, to add to the Eric Lang conspiracy, Eric Lang made Dice Masters.

MM has Spirit of the Rebellion up for pre-order, btw...

Let me get right on that...feels so ridiculous cause it feels like the game isn't even out. I'm going to pre-order it from CSI but wait to see if I'll cancel it if I hate the game.

Tom always has a soft spot for super heroes theme. He loves Marvel Legendary. He also likes Dice Masters. I don't think Dice Masters is terrible, it was fun and enjoyable I just can't stand WizKids rarity model.

zulux21

CAH just published it (friends were strong to point it out), I will admit that them publishing it gave me a little bit of hope of some depth. There is a tiny bit.

uh....
TdCi0lN.png

sure seems like more than just a publish. max seems to be involved with the design.

I think the dice tower is a useful news resource because they put out a lot of videos and you can get a quick idea of what a game plays like.

But I don't think their opinions hold much value. Having a game be great because "marvel" or "awful" because there is a girl showing her ankles doesn't quite help me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think the dice tower is a useful news resource because they put out a lot of videos and you can get a quick idea of what a game plays like.

But I don't think their opinions hold much value. Having a game be great because "marvel" or "awful" because there is a girl showing her ankles doesn't quite help me.

Haha yeah. I actually really appreciate the amount of content they put out but they definitely have their idiosyncrasies that you have to be aware of. I don't even think there's anything blatant about it, but seems reasonable that Tom might just naturally be more favorable to designers he's friends with and companies he works with more closely. I don't think it's a big deal as long as you know what you're getting into. I do find most reviewers are crazy positive nowadays, even ones that are pretty analytical like Drive-Thru Review. To be fair, there are also way more quality games out now too.

Karkador

Banned

I haven't played Destiny, but after watching the rules explanation, I decided to stick with Dice Masters.

It's not that Dice Masters is a superior game, but for me, it's simply easy to get into. Accessible. It does that basic two player MtG gameplay, but with a bag building thing that's simple and neat.

It's not expensive to get into, the distribution of dice/cards seems a bit fairer. It seemed like the Destiny packs were more expensive and more of a mixed bag.

"Deck building" is easier since you are just thinking about a potential team of 6 and a couple of the action cards. We actually like to just randomly pull a team and play.

Finally, as far as my opinion goes, I like the look of the DM dice way more than the Destiny dice. Fight me?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I haven't played Destiny, but after watching the rules explanation, I decided to stick with Dice Masters.

It's not that Dice Masters is a superior game, but for me, it's simply easy to get into. Accessible. It does that basic two player MtG gameplay, but with a bag building thing that's simple and neat.

It's not expensive to get into, the distribution of dice/cards seems a bit fairer. It seemed like the Destiny packs were more expensive and more of a mixed bag.

"Deck building" is easier since you are just thinking about a potential team of 6 and a couple of the action cards. We actually like to just randomly pull a team and play.

Finally, as far as my opinion goes, I like the look of the DM dice way more than the Destiny dice. Fight me?
Hahah naaaaah. Quarriors is one of my all-time most-disappointing games so Dice Masters started off in a rough place with me. As to the dice, like Tom said the Destiny dice look way better in person than on camera (and feel great and chunky). Tom was hesitant to call them great, but after playing with them for some time now I'm in Jason's camp that they really are fantastic for a dice-chucking game.

Karkador

Banned
Hahah naaaaah. Quarriors is one of my all-time most-disappointing games so Dice Masters started off in a rough place with me. As to the dice, like Tom said the Destiny dice look way better in person than on camera (and feel great and chunky). Tom was hesitant to call them great, but after playing with them for some time now I'm in Jason's camp that they really are fantastic for a dice-chucking game.

I mean the quality of the dice aside, I like the aesthetic of the candy-like dice in different colors with iconography representing heroes and stuff. I just like holding a handful of that, but it's merely my opinion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I mean the quality of the dice aside, I like the aesthetic of the candy-like dice in different colors with iconography representing heroes and stuff. I just like holding a handful of that, but it's merely my opinion.

Yeah totally -- definitely get the aesthetic appeal there of just having a bunch of colors and almost candy-like feel going on. Was just mentioning re the Destiny dice specifically that Tom's comments are on-point re the difference between how they look in pics vs. playing with them (and I fell victim to the same misconceptions).

So, I just got The Colonists and played through the little introductory run-through of the game. It's actually pretty nice to have. Much better than how FFG does it with their two rule book system. It describes gameplay through a single era (you can play 1 through 4, your choice). It seems to be fairly straightforward in its rules, but I can tell the full game of this would be crazy.

The game relies on what they call "worker movement" which is similar to what Yokohama and Istanbul do, except you have 3 turns to move one space each, doing whatever action you land on each turn. It's still a case of get a bunch of resources to turn into other resources to turn into points but it does it well. Definitely need to test out the solo play of this and see how if fares with Feast for Odin.

Neverfade

28 point elite Palpatine... gaaaaadamn.

I'm sure there's some algorithm that comes up with point values, but why not just make it 30? haha

They certainly won't make a 2 point character, right?!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
28 point elite Palpatine... gaaaaadamn.

I'm sure there's some algorithm that comes up with point values, but why not just make it 30? haha

They certainly won't make a 2 point character, right?!

Friend and I were wondering if they would make like some shitty droid with Guardian, 2HP, and no die or something.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yeah totally -- definitely get the aesthetic appeal there of just having a bunch of colors and almost candy-like feel going on. Was just mentioning re the Destiny dice specifically that Tom's comments are on-point re the difference between how they look in pics vs. playing with them (and I fell victim to the same misconceptions).

agree with this, the appearance of the Destiny dice when they announced it immediately turned me off to the game.

But now after owning and playing, they are awesome to roll, though Dice trays should be required. Wouldn't change them at all now. The size is particularly useful given you need to ID which dice is what quickly (and even that is a little tricky at times with dice that have similar pictures like Jabba and Crime Lord)

Dryk

Played Forbidden Desert for the first time this week. Boy did we underestimate how bad the storm is by the time it ticks up to 5 cards a turn.

Fireblend

Banned
Played Sweets Stack for the first time today. Very clever, it actually conveys the feeling of a competitive multiplayer puzzle game pretty well, complete with power ups even. I'm thinking of making an Android app for scorekeeping, since the score sheets are bound to run out someday and I'd rather not spend them. The game wasn't close at all and one of my friends totally dominated the rest, but it was fun for everyone, plus you end up hating whatever player is sending you pieces
KuGsj.gif

Protome

I actually am looking for a good, new, deduction/silly party game like these but not resistance/werewolf/this, use to be Good Cop Bad Cop but we are tired of that.

It's made by the same people but that shouldn't matter. It's a very solid game regardless although as others pointed out, not really worth owning if you have The Resistance/Avalon.

For alternative hidden role games Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is one of the best imo and A Fake Artist Goes to New York is too.

Mafia de Cuba is meant to be great too, I haven't gotten my copy to the table yet though.

That game is made by one of GAF...

ME!

Thanks for the love.

I thought I remembered a gaffer saying they made it :)

It's awesome, good job!

Noaloha

Played Forbidden Desert for the first time this week. Boy did we underestimate how bad the storm is by the time it ticks up to 5 cards a turn.

I'm making a custom scenario for the Arkham card game at the moment called Forbidding Desert. I'm essentially shoehorning the entirety of Forbidden into AHtcg's ruleset. 5 cards per player in Forbidden is bad; from this initial playtesting, 5 encounter cards per investigator is outrageous.

Spookie

Millions of Dollars I bought off the back of the SU&SD review and really enjoyed it. While there are few rules, each of the roles adds a moving part to the heist so it's better with people who play board games than randoms.

Not Alone is also very good fun as an one vs all hidden movement game. As it turns the structure on it's head. Rather than one person hide, everyone is hiding from the planet.

Spookie

The designer of potion explosion posts here!?

Any chance you can tell me when you're doing a reprint for the UK? My gf has been trying to buy it for my birthday at the end of the month haha. She can't find it though!

Experien

Millions of Dollars I bought off the back of the SU&SD review and really enjoyed it. While there are few rules, each of the roles adds a moving part to the heist so it's better with people who play board games than randoms.

Not Alone is also very good fun as an one vs all hidden movement game. As it turns the structure on it's head. Rather than one person hide, everyone is hiding from the planet.

I want to try Not Alone but I can't find it. Though that is a good deduction game but is it light for almost party conditions?

It's made by the same people but that shouldn't matter. It's a very solid game regardless although as others pointed out, not really worth owning if you have The Resistance/Avalon.

For alternative hidden role games Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is one of the best imo and A Fake Artist Goes to New York is too.

Mafia de Cuba is meant to be great too, I haven't gotten my copy to the table yet though.

It shouldn't matter but as far as I can tell, games coming from CAH is a clue that it isn't for me going forward.

One thing I don't like about Ultimate werewolf games and Deception is that I feel it is too easy to close your eyes and see who is moving. You don't always have a noise environment to muffle noise. I don't try to listen but can't help but notice and then I have to pretend not to notice. I haven't played Deception but that is the sole reason why I don't seek it out. Otherwise I hear good things.

I do have Mafia de Cuba, hope it fills the spot.

Subbed.

My friends and I have been playing quite a bit of Blood Rage and I have to say it's pretty phenomenal. I didn't back the Kickstarter so I didn't get any of that cool exclusive stuff, but the game is still super fun, really quick, and only takes 90min to play which is perfect. Highly recommended.

Spookie

I want to try Not Alone but I can't find it. Though that is a good deduction game but is it light for almost party conditions?

Cards require a quick explanation as without context they are a wall of text but past that the rules are, do thing, resolve action card and win game. It's super straightforward. :)

It's super good for people who are wary of conflict.

Lupercal

Banned
Subbed.

My friends and I have been playing quite a bit of Blood Rage and I have to say it's pretty phenomenal. I didn't back the Kickstarter so I didn't get any of that cool exclusive stuff, but the game is still super fun, really quick, and only takes 90min to play which is perfect. Highly recommended.

Nice ! One of the best games I played in 2016.
The extra KS stuff isn't that necessary imo, I would add the 5th player expansion. Game is best with 5.

Experien

Anyone try Addrenaline?

Also will keep my eye on Banshee Billionare.

Cards require a quick explanation as without context they are a wall of text but past that the rules are, do thing, resolve action card and win game. It's super straightforward. :)

It's super good for people who are wary of conflict.

Doesn't appear to be anywhere available.

joelseph

This is my shit right here. Such a satisfying rush when you make a strong play to zoom around the track.

Abstracting the cards into cubes and then using the placement of cubes on the track to move forward is a great twist to the deckbuilding mechanic and feels great.

pic2586265_md.png

Gurrry

Anyone know how much a Star Wars destiny gravity feed would cost me at my local shop? Im tempted to buy one there if they have one, but if the online price is much better... I need to save a little money and might shop there instead.

Top Bottom