• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
Went to do the BGG live stream and my brain turned to absolute mush and I totally messed it up. Luckily found out they didn't hit record and I got to do it over again slightly better.

Yeah, I saw both takes, hah. Honestly, though, I think you did just fine on both.

Neverfade

I invited a buddy from work to game night this evening who was a boardgame virgin. I didn't want to throw him into the deep end -- I've made that mistake before. So he got some gentle, gentle foreplay with Love Letter before we got Zombie 15 to the table.

Since we had an apprentice in our midst we only played the first two scenarios, which to be honest, any experienced gamer would have to suffer some sort of organ failure to not effortlessly complete. Still, it was a great way to ease someone new into gaming as the first scenario is basically "learn how to move, fight and search", while the second is "do that again, but this time zombies spawn at 60 second intervals. Oh, and you have firearms now, which attract more zombies".

I'm really looking forward to advancing into the tougher scenarios -- we didn't use a ton of cards and NONE of the countless tokens, so it looks like the rabbit hole will open up a bit more. Nevertheless, this brief taste reaffirmed my earlier suspiciions: This game is way better than Escape. Building the temple while on a timer is so damn clumsy. I much prefer these pre-built areas. Plus it allows for varying goals. Not all of the scenarios are "complete X before 15 minutes is up", there's actually "survive for 15 minutes". I didn't spoil myself further, but I did think that was pretty cool.

From what I understand there is also a scenario generator out there/coming soon. Makes me almost wish the game wasn't so damn expensive (the gumption to include 100 zombie minis is pretty badass though) so I could have a second copy and make some mega city sized romps.

Worth a look.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know anything about Gencon, but apparently Dream Heist (formerly Inceptor) is showing up there.

dreamheistfzli2.jpg

This is the first Kickstarter project I've ever backed, and I'm glad it looks like it will finally make it to completion. Of course, by the time it ships in September, everyone I know who used to play games has basically stopped and/or moved away, so it will probably just end up sitting around for decoration. :p

Doombear

Those of you at GenCon please post more pics! Your daily haul/swag. Vendor areas and other interesting things!

Agreed, I want to see more!

Played a 4 player game of Betrayal at House on the Hill last night. Never played it before, but saw that they had a rental copy at my neighborhood BG shop. It was a lot of fun. A little clunky as we had to check the rule book a few times on random things and also because my 10 year old ended up the traitor and was both excited and confused by this...

Overall though, it was a lot of fun and I can see grabbing it a few more times to play. They do a 7 day rental for $5 on their games, with a percentage of your accumulated rentals going towards purchase. Though I would likely just grab a new one as they have plenty of those right now. Not to mention the fact that the rental looks like it has been played daily since it came out 10 years ago =)

Palmer_v1

Agreed, I want to see more!

Played a 4 player game of Betrayal at House on the Hill last night. Never played it before, but saw that they had a rental copy at my neighborhood BG shop. It was a lot of fun. A little clunky as we had to check the rule book a few times on random things and also because my 10 year old ended up the traitor and was both excited and confused by this...

Overall though, it was a lot of fun and I can see grabbing it a few more times to play. They do a 7 day rental for $5 on their games, with a percentage of your accumulated rentals going towards purchase. Though I would likely just grab a new one as they have plenty of those right now. Not to mention the fact that the rental looks like it has been played daily since it came out 10 years ago =)

I just bought it off Amazon and punched out all the bits last night. Played it once before, and it seems to combine a lot of my favorite things: randomized board, co-op, hidden roles(sometimes).

Faiz

Just saw on the BGG twitter feed.

Star Wars Imperial Assault - inspired by Descent, come with 30 minis in 13 sculpts. Coming early 2015. Encompasses both RPG adventure board gaming and 2 player head to head gameplay.

Yep, think I'm gonna want this.

Draxal

Star Wars Imperial Assault - inspired by Descent, come with 30 minis in 13 sculpts. Coming early 2015. Encompasses both RPG adventure board gaming and 2 player head to head gameplay.

Oh wow, I'm so in.

welp fuck me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Times like this I wish I was more of a SW fan. :p Still prefer SW theme to Descent though so Imperial Assault is an interesting might-buy.

Faiz

Just discovered Imperial Assault is carrying a $100 MSRP. I think I'm out. With fewer minis than Descent I really thought it would be priced about the same. Fewer minis and an extra $20 retail? Probably not from me.

The "Network" we are building is having a game night at a bar for Gen Con Friday night after the con.
I would love to play a game with a gaffer in the wild.
http://whatareweplaying.com/

Regardless if you see me around, say hi.
My name is Donald and I look like this:
t0oP3q5w354WcWO-07tsqZL82FAIi14RTO_FDAMKpAD7FzMnJrm9Qd_gsT699bsRdzO-5UD8Iz33bBygtFwdfFz3uS8=w426-h320-n

The party should be fun.

If not, maybe I'll see some of ya'll at BGG con.

I was watching your Board with Life Let's Play video of Two Rooms and a Boom, and I noticed y'all were all drinking local craft beers from DFW area. Since I live in Plano and love the local craft beer, I was wondering if y'all were from the area.

So I told my brother about it, and he was like yeah, I met them at BGG Con last year.

Anyway, I'm enjoying y'all's new Let's Play videos.

Faiz

SW license.

I get that, which is why I thought they were going with fewer minis, to keep the price from creeping too high while still paying for that license. I was ok with that. But Descent has 50 minis, IA has 36 (base 34 plus Luke/Vader). Unless the Luke and Vader packs end up having multiple minis in them (doubt it) it starts to feel like a serious gouging.

I understand paying more for the license. I understand getting less for the same price. But getting less for a 25% higher price? That I start to question. :/

And while I'm at it I just realized there were no Battlore 2nd expansions announced? I just finally got it for my birthday this last weekend and would hate to find out it's not getting continued support...

Faiz

If you are in US CSI will have it for what, $60?

Closer to $70?

If we are looking at discount prices then Descent is $54...

The absolute numbers aren't so much at issue for me. It's the relative value of one versus the other. You get 30% fewer minis for 25% more money. Seems way off.

Phinor

If you are in US CSI will have it for what, $60?

And rest of the world.. $100 easily translates to $150+, discounted. Boardgame pricing outside of North America is often pretty bad and availability is a huge issue too. Ok, FFG games typically have pretty decent availability (and in some cases are priced somewhat reasonably) but still. Point is, $100 RRP is very high compared to most mainstream games and will translate into even higher price in most parts of the world.

And while I'm at it I just realized there were no Battlore 2nd expansions announced? I just finally got it for my birthday this last weekend and would hate to find out it's not getting continued support...

It's Fantasy Flight...unless the game tanked super hard, there will be expansions. There are always expansions.

Deadstar

It's Fantasy Flight...unless the game tanked super hard, there will be expansions. There are always expansions.

I'm getting ready to play my first Descent campaign. It's going to be amazing! Anyone have any tips for playing the Overlord? Should I be playing to win or to have everyone else have a good time and a strong challenge?

Funny everyone here who stumbles upon the demo tables of IA immediately go "its star wars descent!" And they are all hyped. They are only showing off the standard game with the imperial overlord like player, threat gathering... Yup its familiar and going to sell like nuts.

Was surprised to see 40k conquest lcg doing well at gencon, they sold out and almost every person checking out at the ffg booth had a copy of it. Tried it out and it seems like a solid game, the faction balance is going to be a concern I think but do like the twist on area control they did and separating it from battle.

Karkador

Banned
I've never played Descent, but I guess I'm a little sad at the comments by people saying "so long, Descent". I mean, I get that Star Wars probably gets people a lot more excited and money-averse than a more generic fantasy world, but I guess it's just kind of nice to have stuff to call "our own" from the board gaming world? Half of many FLGSes are practically a Disney property at this point, between all the Star Wars and Marvel games (if Disney could somehow own zombies...)

At this rate, I have to wonder when Fantasy Flight will ditch the Twilight Imperium theme in favor of Star Wars. It seems alarmingly eminent, and I think a lot of people would probably even welcome it.

I've never played Descent, but I guess I'm a little sad at the comments by people saying "so long, Descent". I mean, I get that Star Wars probably gets people a lot more excited and money-averse than a more generic fantasy world, but I guess it's just kind of nice to have stuff to call "our own" from the board gaming world? Half of many FLGSes are practically a Disney property at this point, between all the Star Wars and Marvel games (if Disney could somehow own zombies...)

At this rate, I have to wonder when Fantasy Flight will ditch the Twilight Imperium theme in favor of Star Wars. It seems alarmingly eminent, and I think a lot of people would probably even welcome it.

FF is only one publisher, the market is collapsed with high fantasy miniature games. Every month there's at least one miniatures KS. You can't blame them for trying to stand out from the crowd.

Draxal

Descent will be supported still, too much invested in it.

Karkador

Banned
FF is only one publisher, the market is collapsed with high fantasy miniature games. Every month there's at least one miniatures KS. You can't blame them for trying to stand out from the crowd.

By saturating their own Star Wars miniatures gaming market? :p

FFG now has three Star Wars games involving miniatures, AND they have the Star Wars LCG, AND Edge of the Empire RPG.

Fuck it, FFG. Give us what we really want. Make a Yoda Stories board game!

Draxal

By saturating their own Star Wars miniatures gaming market? :p

FFG now has three Star Wars games involving miniatures, AND they have the Star Wars LCG.

Fuck it, FFG. Give us what we really want. Make a Yoda Stories board game!

They also own the Star Wars rpg ... which is why this miniatures line will make people very excited.

Draxal

Yeppp, realized that after and edited. It just seems even more overwhelming. FFG is quickly becoming a Star Wars company.

You forgot the Age of Rebellion RPG! I don't know how long the X-Wing support can last, they're really hitting the bottom of the barrel with the SNV ships so they have to try strike when the iron is hot.

Plus they're betting on interest due to new SW movie.

Also, they don't have the license for the SW board game, so I bet you the two v two rules is how they're skirting around that license issue.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For those cheering for the non-Star-Wars underdog afaik Netrunner LCG does quite a bit better than SW LCG. :D (Not hating -- SW LCG is an excellent game.)

FFG is one of those companies that makes you think hmmm it would be nice to be independently wealthy and just play epic board games all day. :p

Top Bottom