• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
MM has Spirit of the Rebellion up for pre-order, btw...

no way. not with the totally opaque way they've handled Awakenings preorders.

Anyone know how much a Star Wars destiny gravity feed would cost me at my local shop? Im tempted to buy one there if they have one, but if the online price is much better... I need to save a little money and might shop there instead.

$108 (aka MSRP). I haven't found a single local shop that will budge, and being that most have little to no inventory, I don't see that changing in the near future.

oh, I understand all of that.

I just meant the optics of announcing the new set before the first wave has even finished hitting stores.

I get that FFG's usual model is announce the next expansion around the same time they release one...

Destiny has just been an interesting rollout for them. I might've held off announcing for another week or two until I could proclaim the game was more available.

You just hit the nail on the head. From the sounds of it, this week is the "full launch" of Destiny. All of my local shops have said they will have "plenty" of stock starting tomorrow.

Which for me kind of sucks hahahahaha.... :\ I don't need any more packs... and with plenty of packs available a number of stores have talked about moving scheduled Destiny slots to draft..... with rules I am not particularly thrilled with.

based on starters (which means breaking out my starters from my collection in advance)
6 pack buy in
30 card deck
affiliation doesn't matter
alternate colors can be included for reroll fodder

my main issues are
a) how broken is the lack of affiliation going to make things
b) with 6 packs you may still very well end up with eKylo/eRey as your best dice option.

Gurrry

no way. not with the totally opaque way they've handled Awakenings preorders.

$108 (aka MSRP). I haven't found a single local shop that will budge, and being that most have little to no inventory, I don't see that changing in the near future.

Yeesh. Maybe online is the way to go... hmmm, i have decisions to make today.

Speaking of destiny, i have been going against a ton of mill decks lately. I really hope it doesnt become more viable then, you know, doing damage like the game intends you to.

Speaking of destiny, i have been going against a ton of mill decks lately. I really hope it doesnt become more viable then, you know, doing damage like the game intends you to.

The small deck sizes in the game, frankly make mill decks super powerful and I don't see how they are going to fix that. Game is pretty small in scale really, and buffing damage dealing is gonna make alot of older cards/dice become useless. With the game structured around such tiny deck builds, mills are gonna be popular and likely dominant. Most games mill strategies are a gamble because of variable deck sizes or much larger decks taking longer to deck out, but in Destiny..... yea I can see mill deck meta to rule the game.

They need to really be careful about adding more mill power to the game.

Gurrry

The small deck sizes in the game, frankly make mill decks super powerful and I don't see how they are going to fix that. Game is pretty small in scale really, and buffing damage dealing is gonna make alot of older cards/dice become useless. With the game structured around such tiny deck builds, mills are gonna be popular and likely dominant. Most games mill strategies are a gamble because of variable deck sizes or much larger decks taking longer to deck out, but in Destiny..... yea I can see mill deck meta to rule the game.

They need to really be careful about adding more mill power to the game.

That is going to such a weird meta if milling becomes the #1 strategy. Im sure things will shake out differently once people get more cards and more decks are built. There is probably a pretty powerful counter to mill decks. But youre right, 30 card decks really do make milling a more viable option than most games.

So there's a dice game... called "Destiny"... but it's Star Wars... and good?

It really is a great game. My favorite thing about it is how fast paced it is. Coming from games like Game of Thrones and Netrunner, Destiny is fast paced and keeps me on task for the entire game because you only get 1 action per turn. So you do something, then I get to do something, then you, then me. Its got a nice back and forth feel to it. It also has the dice randomness component which can really help weaker decks if they get the rolls and their opponents do not.

The only thing holding it back for me is it being a TCG. Meaning we have to rely on booster boxes and booster packs to get cards we want.

mercviper

CAH just published it (friends were strong to point it out), I will admit that them publishing it gave me a little bit of hope of some depth. There is a tiny bit.

I actually am looking for a good, new, deduction/silly party game like these but not resistance/werewolf/this, use to be Good Cop Bad Cop but we are tired of that.
Yoooooo Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space is calling to you. Or if you want something in a more similar vein to resistance/werewolf but not quite the same then Deception: Murder in HK is pretty legit too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I still think Jango/Veers is pretty universally considered the top deck that pretty much only loses to bad rolling (it is somewhat swingy, but even a mediocre roll in Jango/Veers is still really damn good in the larger context of the game). I play Aggro Han/Rey, which also plays Starship Graveyard which is yet further mitigation against mill (and many Han decks also play Hyperspace Jump, which can get Graveyard into play even if you lose the roll-off). Mill as an archetype is yet further discouraged in the meta by the 35m limits for tournament games, which I know some fast(er) mill archetypes feel they can come in under, but honestly many won't if their opponents are playing even the slightest bit slowly (and not in a way that can be reasonably challenged as slow play).

I don't think 30 cards is the end of the analysis, but rather how many cards you can reliably mill per turn with a deck that can survive (hence I agree with BattleMonkey's warning -- but if you look at the time limits you can tell FFG is not particularly big on encouraging mill play either, so fairly confident Mill won't get supercharged). Watching the tournament reports and listening to podcasts, mill decks only seem to really ever be winning in tournaments with low aggro representation ("I didn't play a single Jango/Veers all day!") so I don't see it as being overrepresented in the meta currently. If anything people are just whinging about aggro decks being too strong rn, which to me is pretty perfect. I love the excitement and casual feel that comes from aggro and control decks going at it with rolls and die control.

Gurrry

I still think Jango/Veers is pretty universally considered the top deck that pretty much only loses to bad rolling (it is somewhat swingy, but even a mediocre roll in Jango/Veers is still really damn good in the larger context of the game). I play Aggro Han/Rey, which also plays Starship Graveyard which is yet further mitigation against mill (and many Han decks also play Hyperspace Jump, which can get Graveyard into play even if you lose the roll-off). Mill as an archetype is yet further discouraged in the meta by the 35m limits for tournament games, which I know some fast(er) mill archetypes feel they can come in under, but honestly many won't if their opponents are playing even the slightest bit slowly (and not in a way that can be reasonably challenged as slow play).

I don't think 30 cards is the end of the analysis, but rather how many cards you can reliably mill per turn with a deck that can survive (hence I agree with BattleMonkey's warning -- but if you look at the time limits you can tell FFG is not particularly big on encouraging mill play either, so fairly confident Mill won't get supercharged). Watching the tournament reports and listening to podcasts, mill decks only seem to really ever be winning in tournaments with low aggro representation ("I didn't play a single Jango/Veers all day!") so I don't see it as being overrepresented in the meta currently. If anything people are just whinging about aggro decks being too strong rn, which to me is pretty perfect. I love the excitement and casual feel that comes from aggro and control decks going at it with rolls and die control.

Great points. I havent played in any tournaments so my run ins with mill decks are purely casual play. Ive also had the "pleasure" of going against the hyperloop deck and that thing is honestly more annoying than the mill. That is the one thing I wonder if FFG will look into down the line if more people start running it. Its crazy to get Falcon out on turn 1 and then essentially control the entire game using Hyperspace Loop.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Great points. I havent played in any tournaments so my run ins with mill decks are purely casual play. Ive also had the "pleasure" of going against the hyperloop deck and that thing is honestly more annoying than the mill. That is the one thing I wonder if FFG will look into down the line if more people start running it. Its crazy to get Falcon out on turn 1 and then essentially control the entire game using Hyperspace Loop.

Yeah Hyperloop is pretty dumb. I know some people get off on playing stuff like this but I'm of the same opinion as you that it's just kind of annoying. Now to be fair it's hardly a bulletproof deck. First off, if they don't draw the combo you can do a ton of damage to them first. Disrupt effects are also super effective against it as you can stop them from getting set up and blow them up. Mill I think is pretty good too in such a case because you can just kill their pieces. If they do get their pieces in starting hand, again disrupt is still good and often you can damage them to where it's hard for them to catch up because they have to actually play the game, especially in a time-limited setting. But I would be totally cool if FFG just errata'd it to where Hyperloop got exiled when you played it. Depends on how they feel it affects the game balance, which I'm mostly speculating on as no one in our group plays it (because we are good people).

Experien

Yoooooo Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space is calling to you. Or if you want something in a more similar vein to resistance/werewolf but not quite the same then Deception: Murder in HK is pretty legit too.

I own Escape...only played it once or twice. I like it but didn't come. It came across pretty serious and less party but the deduction was spot on.

I can't play "close your eyes and do something games" because you have to have perfect table or pretend you didn't hear anything.

Unless online stores stock like crazy this week, good luck getting it online. Been waiting since December 1.

Gurrry

Yeah Hyperloop is pretty dumb. I know some people get off on playing stuff like this but I'm of the same opinion as you that it's just kind of annoying. Now to be fair it's hardly a bulletproof deck. First off, if they don't draw the combo you can do a ton of damage to them first. Disrupt effects are also super effective against it as you can stop them from getting set up and blow them up. Mill I think is pretty good too in such a case because you can just kill their pieces. If they do get their pieces in starting hand, again disrupt is still good and often you can damage them to where it's hard for them to catch up because they have to actually play the game, especially in a time-limited setting. But I would be totally cool if FFG just errata'd it to where Hyperloop got exiled when you played it. Depends on how they feel it affects the game balance, which I'm mostly speculating on as no one in our group plays it (because we are good people).

Yeah the first time I went against it, the whole time in my head I was thinking "really dude, youre playing that deck in a casual setting"? But yeah, to each their own I guess.

Whats crazy though is that if they dont get their combo in the starting hand or after their first mulligan, the next round they can discard everything and redraw 5, increasing their chances of seeing the pieces they need. Alot of people I play (including myself) dont ever utilize that rule, but Hyperloop players obviously will.

Mill deck seems to be the answer to the loop decks, but then again, if youre playing mill, you have to ask yourself, are you really playing at all? (just kidding but kind of not)

The deck Im playing now is Vader/Kylo. And thats mainly because they are my 2 favorite characters and the theme of them together is really cool, even if they dont synergize all that well.

Experien

Yeah the first time I went against it, the whole time in my head I was thinking "really dude, youre playing that deck in a casual setting"? But yeah, to each their own I guess.

Whats crazy though is that if they dont get their combo in the starting hand or after their first mulligan, the next round they can discard everything and redraw 5, increasing their chances of seeing the pieces they need. Alot of people I play (including myself) dont ever utilize that rule, but Hyperloop players obviously will.

Mill deck seems to be the answer to the loop decks, but then again, if youre playing mill, you have to ask yourself, are you really playing at all? (just kidding but kind of not)

The deck Im playing now is Vader/Kylo. And thats mainly because they are my 2 favorite characters and the theme of them together is really cool, even if they dont synergize all that well.

All this talk about these strategies (had to look some of these decks up) makes me wonder what I am getting into with this first "CCG" of mine but I guess I'll just play with friends and not go to stores and I'll be fine.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Re-read the Dunwich Horror the other day in prep for the Dunwich Legacy since it is basically a continuation of that story. Should add to my enjoyment of the campaign. Hope I get the call today to pick it up!

XShagrath

Re-read the Dunwich Horror the other day in prep for the Dunwich Legacy since it is basically a continuation of that story. Should add to my enjoyment of the campaign. Hope I get the call today to pick it up!
Picked up mine and the Mansions expansion during lunch today. Wish I had brought sleeves to work, so I could just jump right in when I get home.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
All this talk about these strategies (had to look some of these decks up) makes me wonder what I am getting into with this first "CCG" of mine but I guess I'll just play with friends and not go to stores and I'll be fine.
Yeah to be fair, this is us just discussing a gimmick deck, which is sort of the wonkiest part of any deckbuilding card game, and not something any casual players have to worry about. If you guys are interested in building strong decks or seeing popular wonky decks you can just go to swdestinydb.com and search decklists sorted by number of likes and you'll see a ton of options, many with detailed explanations of deck strategy. But you can also just totally ignore that and build whatever you like. The core game is crazy simple and teachable in 10m; playable in <35m unless one of you is playing a slower deck or taking a lot of time each decision.

Iced

Game night tonight got cancelled, and I was finally going to bring Cosmic Encounter to the table. I don't think I'll ever get to play it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up mine and the Mansions expansion during lunch today. Wish I had brought sleeves to work, so I could just jump right in when I get home.

Which Mansions expansion? Are you talking about the first edition stuff or the new one?

Got the call for Dunwich too!

XShagrath

Which Mansions expansion? Are you talking about the first edition stuff or the new one?
The new one that just released today. It's called "Beyond the Threshold" and is the first new content. It's got six minis (2 new investigators, and 4 of one new monster type), some new cards, tiles, and tokens. There are also two new scenarios, and I guess at least one of them involves a house with moving rooms.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The new one that just released today. It's called "Beyond the Threshold" and is the first new content. It's got six minis (2 new investigators, and 4 of one new monster type), some new cards, tiles, and tokens. There are also two new scenarios, and I guess at least one of them involves a house with moving rooms.

Shit, didn't think that was releasing already! Gonna try and pick that up too if I can.

Thanks

borghe

eJango/eVeers is broken, broken in the way that you have to play a deck specifically built to counter it. Every strategy I have read on it comes down to "this strategy will work unless they god roll"..... now, let's look at the staple dice

veers = 50% chance to roll damage on each die
jango = 33% chance to roll damage on each die that will resolve with range, 50% overall damage
holdout blaster = 33% chance to roll damage that will resolve with range for no cost, 50% overall damage (including cost)
jetpack = 33% chance to roll damage that will resolve with range

calculating odds on all of those numbers, and realizing that disrupt actually does VERY little to this deck (because they can always resolve a weapon on first turn), you can see that god rolls aren't exactly on bad odds. in fact rolling 4-6 damage on jango with even just 2-4 damage showing on veers happens frequently. you can usually mitigate one of veers dice.. but you can only stall jango for so long (jango decks play multiple backup muscle, etc) and as soon as he "cheats", he often ends up with that 6-8 damage that is then unable to be mitigated.

bottom line is, jango NEEDS to be 1 point more. jango veers is just broken. "why not just make veers 1 point more? why punish ejango trooper trooper?" My response to this is, because Jango is already punishing enough in any deck.. but it is specifically jango combined with veers extremely good die sides' (which he is already fairly costed for with his 9 health) that makes this combo broken. but beyond that, I would even argue that running eJango with two more character dice is indeed STILL broken, even if trooper trooper. It just becomes more clear how broken it is when you can get both dice out in one activation like veers.

edit - hyperloop is the true definition of gimmick. there are so many ways to remove character dice, remove dice period (if you remove the falcon die with a deflect or such, it won't work), and if you can stop them from cheating it out (by keeping them to 2 or fewer resources), they have no way to start the loop. yes they can get a solid setup (opening hand, and solid first roll) which can make it difficult (or impossible depending how lucky) to kill it before it begins.. but odds say that having hyperspace AND falcon in opening hand are low enough that you should be able to control the gimmick.

My two Destiny booster boxes from Miniature Market shipped today, hoping I get some yellow villain weapon attachments since I was trying to build an eJabba/eJango deck but just don't have enough damage to go with it yet. Instead I had to go with a Prized Possession upgrade which lead to me accidentally taking one of my friends Jabba dice last time we played. Don't have a single gaffi stick or jet pack yet so the combo doesn't work well yet. Could also use another Crime Lord for it too.

Expect I'll get two more Poes though since I've opened 2 boxes and 10 packs and have 3 of them so far.

Experien

My two Destiny booster boxes from Miniature Market shipped today, hoping I get some yellow villain weapon attachments since I was trying to build an eJabba/eJango deck but just don't have enough damage to go with it yet. Instead I had to go with a Prized Possession upgrade which lead to me accidentally taking one of my friends Jabba dice last time we played. Don't have a single gaffi stick or jet pack yet so the combo doesn't work well yet. Could also use another Crime Lord for it too.

Expect I'll get two more Poes though since I've opened 2 boxes and 10 packs and have 3 of them so far.

No email but MM account says shipped, bought time!

Bought Orleans last weekend. The g/f and I have played a couple rounds and that is a great two player game. The box says 90 minutes, but I think, as a 2 player game it is pretty easy to finish in 60. Setup is really quick and easy and yeah, kind of exactly what I was looking for in a easy weeknight game. We've also been playing some 7 wonders Duel with the Pantheon expansion, and again, great weeknight game that is actually pretty easily playable on the coffee table, so you can watch tv or whatever too.

I want to play more Twilight Struggle, but I just steamrolled her last time we played, Dominating Europe by the first turn of the Mid-war, and I think she's pissed off and doesn't want to play it anymore. Oh well...might be time to make some new friends...or just start playing the PC version. How is the online community for that game?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This is my shit right here. Such a satisfying rush when you make a strong play to zoom around the track.

Abstracting the cards into cubes and then using the placement of cubes on the track to move forward is a great twist to the deckbuilding mechanic and feels great.

pic2586265_md.png

Really love this game, but have only gotten to play it once. Might be the best racing game right now -- gives a surprisingly good "feel" of racing, kind of like how Baseball Highlights does for baseball actually.

Which for me kind of sucks hahahahaha.... :\ I don't need any more packs... and with plenty of packs available a number of stores have talked about moving scheduled Destiny slots to draft..... with rules I am not particularly thrilled with.

based on starters (which means breaking out my starters from my collection in advance)
6 pack buy in
30 card deck
affiliation doesn't matter
alternate colors can be included for reroll fodder

my main issues are
a) how broken is the lack of affiliation going to make things
b) with 6 packs you may still very well end up with eKylo/eRey as your best dice option.
That sounds really bad and poorly thought through. FFG hasn't released any rules for drafts or anything have they? Be nice to see them step up if not. I saw the Knights of Ren proposed a cube format and it seemed interesting but not really worth my time building yet. It did respect all the affiliation rules and the like, so already better than that format you have going there.

eJango/eVeers is broken, broken in the way that you have to play a deck specifically built to counter it. Every strategy I have read on it comes down to "this strategy will work unless they god roll"..... now, let's look at the staple dice
More overpowered than broken right? :) Just from observing various channels, it does seem like top players are still playing different decks, usually which offer less variance than Jango has (and greater pilot skill), but Jango is dominating the midrange of skill and below as you might expect. Maybe I'm coming at this from a unique angle, but I actually appreciate it because it means I can give a deck to my wife and she can come to a tournament and do just fine no problem. It's a very casual-friendly meta in that sense because even if top players play Jango/Veers, it's still not a very skill-dependent deck so it's not like people can use it to just stomp casuals. total ymmv though. The tech against it isn't even that frustrating to me because it's not silver bullet, but rather just stuff that's useful in a lot of cases, like adding ranged-die removal and maybe some other disruption. Yes that still loses to "God Roll" but that's true "God Roll" not just ooh hey i got 3 damage before you can disrupt so I'll resolve it now (slowing myself down by taking an extra action to resolve ranged). I mean heck I God Rolled like 12 damage w/o ability to react with Han yesterday thanks to Rey shenanigans. :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I did one more campaign of the core set for Arkham and finally got the best ending (played on Easy with Roland and Agnes). Even easy was dicey at times

borghe

More overpowered than broken right? :) Just from observing various channels, it does seem like top players are still playing different decks, usually which offer less variance than Jango has (and greater pilot skill), but Jango is dominating the midrange of skill and below as you might expect. Maybe I'm coming at this from a unique angle, but I actually appreciate it because it means I can give a deck to my wife and she can come to a tournament and do just fine no problem. It's a very casual-friendly meta in that sense because even if top players play Jango/Veers, it's still not a very skill-dependent deck so it's not like people can use it to just stomp casuals. total ymmv though. The tech against it isn't even that frustrating to me because it's not silver bullet, but rather just stuff that's useful in a lot of cases, like adding ranged-die removal and maybe some other disruption. Yes that still loses to "God Roll" but that's true "God Roll" not just ooh hey i got 3 damage before you can disrupt so I'll resolve it now (slowing myself down by taking an extra action to resolve ranged). I mean heck I God Rolled like 12 damage w/o ability to react with Han yesterday thanks to Rey shenanigans. :p

heh, I wish you wouldn't have cutoff the analysis after.. :) Yes Jango Veers does end up destroying on true god rolls.. the problem is, true god rolls are really above a 50% chance of happening. So you basically have less than a 50% chance (or what seems like..) of getting a j/v roll either low enough, or "slow" enough, that you can mitigate and/or sustain it.

now mind you I've been really trying to have fun with an eJabba blue shell deck.. and HAVE been having fun.. but there is a friend at work playing eJango/eVeers that is basically the deck's kryptonite. pretty sure like 0-5 on it. "But that happens with some decks". And yes, this is true.. but yeah.. you basically NEED counters in your deck specifically for jango veers.. and in the words of Blizzard regarding "must include" cards.. if "every single deck needs to include this" (in this case counters to jango/veers), that tells them it is too powerful. that's what we have here.

but yes, it is technically overpowered, not truly broken. again, bumping up jango by 1 point fixes this.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
heh, I wish you wouldn't have cutoff the analysis after.. :) Yes Jango Veers does end up destroying on true god rolls.. the problem is, true god rolls are really above a 50% chance of happening. So you basically have less than a 50% chance (or what seems like..) of getting a j/v roll either low enough, or "slow" enough, that you can mitigate and/or sustain it.

now mind you I've been really trying to have fun with an eJabba blue shell deck.. and HAVE been having fun.. but there is a friend at work playing eJango/eVeers that is basically the deck's kryptonite. pretty sure like 0-5 on it. "But that happens with some decks". And yes, this is true.. but yeah.. you basically NEED counters in your deck specifically for jango veers.. and in the words of Blizzard regarding "must include" cards.. if "every single deck needs to include this" (in this case counters to jango/veers), that tells them it is too powerful. that's what we have here.

but yes, it is technically overpowered, not truly broken. again, bumping up jango by 1 point fixes this.

I think it's too early in the meta to say for sure if it's broken.

I think you will ALWAYS have something that is powerful in a meta to play around and be prepared for.

Too early to say it's broken, especially before a second set.

I do think Jango getting to break the rules every turn is extremely powerful for the cost. Good rolls on a Jango activation wipe stuff off the board quick. But stuff like Ackbar+Trooper+Trooper, and other control/shell decks are beating it.

I do feel bad for new players that run into Jango/Veers at the tournament level cause they won't know what hit them

Gurrry

Played against a Jango Veers earlier and while its pretty strong, I dont think its broken. He did get a 9 damage roll once and killed my Rey, but I was able to nearly come back with Han and beat him.

Its all about them rolls.

Just picked up Scythe. Looking forward to playing it over the weekend.

I'm finding it hard to decide between grabbing Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror or the Arkham Horror LCG.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just picked up Scythe. Looking forward to playing it over the weekend.

I'm finding it hard to decide between grabbing Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror or the Arkham Horror LCG.

How many players? If consistently >2, and definitely if 4 I'd recommend Eldritch out of those. If 2 it's an interesting choice -- Eldritch if you want a globe-spanning sort of procedurally generated adventure, Akrham LCG if you want a tighter narrative and enjoy deckbuilding. Arkham is a cool game that also stands on its own but I honestly think its mechanics are too outdated to recommend over the other two.

How many players? If consistently >2, and definitely if 4 I'd recommend Eldritch out of those. If 2 it's an interesting choice -- Eldritch if you want a globe-spanning sort of procedurally generated adventure, Akrham LCG if you want a tighter narrative and enjoy deckbuilding. Arkham is a cool game that also stands on its own but I honestly think its mechanics are too outdated to recommend over the other two.

Thanks for the advice. We usually go between 2 and 4 but it might be easier to just go for Eldritch given it changes week by week.

Bought Orleans last weekend. The g/f and I have played a couple rounds and that is a great two player game. The box says 90 minutes, but I think, as a 2 player game it is pretty easy to finish in 60. Setup is really quick and easy and yeah, kind of exactly what I was looking for in a easy weeknight game.

I've bought Orleans for Christmas. Great great game (so good I've already bought the upgrade kit with wooden meeples and the promo tiles).

I'm just a bit afraid about replayability, but we'll see. So much fun for now.

EYEL1NER

I hadn't ever heard anything about Automobiles but I know I read that Planes was disliked by a lot of Trains-fans, so I guess I assumed Automobiles was bad as well. I was surprised to see some positive comments about it in here. I've yet to even play Trains, but I'll add Automobiles to the list of things to be on the lookout for.

Last night was a good time. I went and gamed with a guy that just moved to the area. I met him at the local store last week when he brought in a Zombicide collection in a nice hand-made wooden box and wanted to play. He introduced himself, said it was his first week here, and said that he has a lot of games and wants to get a game group started. Three of us played Zombicide for a while, until the store closed and we had to pack up. This guy is from Indy and was regularly going to GenCon and other MidWest cons, game stores, cafes, and more. I believe he also hosted game nights regularly. So he was pretty frustrated to learn that the local store closes at 8 on game night and lamented that he wouldn't ever be able to play most of the games he likes in that amount of time. He then told me that after he closes on his house, he'll just host game nights there if people were interested and that he probably would not go back to the local store.

I got pretty excited about the whole thing because it means I can finally play some games again, and games that I didn't think I would get to the table anytime soon too. So when he messaged me two nights ago and invited me to a game night at his hotel on Wednesday, I said sure. I drove over and met another person who would be playing, a guy who was TDY for the week. They were both playing Raptor (damn, wish I had showed up early enough to try it, since I've wanted to play it) and finished right when I arrived. So we went to the pool area, which had more space, and played Zombicide. It was between that and Starcraft, but the other guy had never played anything heavier than Risk that night, so I figured Zombicide would be a better game since tow of us knew the rules. If we did Starcraft, I would have to have it explained to me too, which would take more time.

So we played a scenario from the Prison expansion: Scenario M08 "FOOOOOD!" M08 has a 180 minute estimated completion time and is a "Hard" ranked mission spread across a 2-x4-tile map that sees us exiting a guard building, making our way to the other side of the guard building to open a prison door, then making our way down the street to the prison, securing objective tokens that represent food, and then returning to the starting point without anyone who is carrying food dying. We started at about 7pm and finished up 5.5 hours later. It ran longer than I expected and started really slow. We wound up getting three different Abominations (regular, berserker, and skinner) early on and had to barricade cop cars while taking potshots at regular zombies so we could get all three Abominations bunched up at the barricade and Molotov them. We could have tried to Molotov a lot earlier than we did but we had to wait for the perfect moment because I had a guy with no kills who was taking care of the prison door switch and he needed to be the one to kill them, lest we wind up in the Orange from the 15XP that anyone else would get. After that things slowed down and we were able to win easily. It was a lot of fun.

Next week is another game night at the hotel, Scythe. I would absolutely love to try Scythe but I'm not sure. There's an issue that makes me hesitant to go and I haven't decided how big of a deal it is for me yet. I might bring up the issue in here once I can devote some more time to thinking about it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hadn't ever heard anything about Automobiles but I know I read that Planes was disliked by a lot of Trains-fans, so I guess I assumed Automobiles was bad as well. I was surprised to see some positive comments about it in here. I've yet to even play Trains, but I'll add Automobiles to the list of things to be on the lookout for.

Last night was a good time. I went and gamed with a guy that just moved to the area. I met him at the local store last week when he brought in a Zombicide collection in a nice hand-made wooden box and wanted to play. He introduced himself, said it was his first week here, and said that he has a lot of games and wants to get a game group started. Three of us played Zombicide for a while, until the store closed and we had to pack up. This guy is from Indy and was regularly going to GenCon and other MidWest cons, game stores, cafes, and more. I believe he also hosted game nights regularly. So he was pretty frustrated to learn that the local store closes at 8 on game night and lamented that he wouldn't ever be able to play most of the games he likes in that amount of time. He then told me that after he closes on his house, he'll just host game nights there if people were interested and that he probably would not go back to the local store.

I got pretty excited about the whole thing because it means I can finally play some games again, and games that I didn't think I would get to the table anytime soon too. So when he messaged me two nights ago and invited me to a game night at his hotel on Wednesday, I said sure. I drove over and met another person who would be playing, a guy who was TDY for the week. They were both playing Raptor (damn, wish I had showed up early enough to try it, since I've wanted to play it) and finished right when I arrived. So we went to the pool area, which had more space, and played Zombicide. It was between that and Starcraft, but the other guy had never played anything heavier than Risk that night, so I figured Zombicide would be a better game since tow of us knew the rules. If we did Starcraft, I would have to have it explained to me too, which would take more time.

So we played a scenario from the Prison expansion: Scenario M08 "FOOOOOD!" M08 has a 180 minute estimated completion time and is a "Hard" ranked mission spread across a 2-x4-tile map that sees us exiting a guard building, making our way to the other side of the guard building to open a prison door, then making our way down the street to the prison, securing objective tokens that represent food, and then returning to the starting point without anyone who is carrying food dying. We started at about 7pm and finished up 5.5 hours later. It ran longer than I expected and started really slow. We wound up getting three different Abominations (regular, berserker, and skinner) early on and had to barricade cop cars while taking potshots at regular zombies so we could get all three Abominations bunched up at the barricade and Molotov them. We could have tried to Molotov a lot earlier than we did but we had to wait for the perfect moment because I had a guy with no kills who was taking care of the prison door switch and he needed to be the one to kill them, lest we wind up in the Orange from the 15XP that anyone else would get. After that things slowed down and we were able to win easily. It was a lot of fun.

Next week is another game night at the hotel, Scythe. I would absolutely love to try Scythe but I'm not sure. There's an issue that makes me hesitant to go and I haven't decided how big of a deal it is for me yet. I might bring up the issue in here once I can devote some more time to thinking about it.

Nice! There are some games I wish I could play more but my friends aren't into them (thankfully they can be played solo but it isn't the same).

Also glad you went to the hotel and left with all your organs ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yeah they're all by totally different designers and really don't have that much to do with each other than I guess x-building (not sure if Planes does this). I actually think Automobiles is the most widely liked among them, Trains second, and Planes a distant third. I'd put them in about that order too, though I find Trains really fun as well.

mercviper

I own Escape...only played it once or twice. I like it but didn't come. It came across pretty serious and less party but the deduction was spot on.

I can't play "close your eyes and do something games" because you have to have perfect table or pretend you didn't hear anything.
My solution for the sounds problem is just have everyone bump around and make noise during it even when you don't have to lol. You're all good friends right? But if you really can't do anything with closing your eyes, then check out either Two Rooms and a Boom or Coup. Codenames is a great party game too but then we're straying away from hidden roles.

Mr E.

I'm sure Automobiles is great, but Thunder Alley is the best racing game out there. I highly recommend you play it, if you haven't yet.

I endorse this with the caveat that Race Formula 90 and Rallyman are equal to Thunder Alley.
Therefor making the best racing game out there a three way tie or photo finish if you prefer, quite apt.

Ohnonono

Sorted the new ArkhamLCG expansion last night. Something about looking at the campaign log and seeing an entire cycle of quests on the log sheet really made the RPG part of this game hit home to me. I don't know why but seeing all 10 of whatever of the quests lined up gets my mind racing a lot more than the 3 from the original box. Gonna make an angry chef deck tonight hopefully.

I want the new Arkham card game expansion and the 2 print on demand add ons but cannot find a single online retailer with all 3 of them in stock. It's really frustrating.

Also, none of them have ever appeared on Amazon? What's up with that?

Zombicide story

I love it. However, throwing in all the zombie types in someone's first play through sounds like tossing them in the deep end, lol.

Also, 6 characters on the board seems to be what the majority of scenerios were designed around. If only playing with 4, we house rule a 50/50 dice roll for each spawn point. It goes a lot smoother but can still get really hairy, especially when you're allowing all the different zombie types. Rather than do that though, in 4 player games we have the 2 most experienced play 2 characters, bringing the total number of characters on the board to 6.

Love me some Zombicide! I took a painting break the past 2 weeks but I am getting back on the horse this weekend.

Don't do what I did and underestimate popularity. The end game hits hard and fast.

I will be sure to keep that in mind!

Played about.. 6 games of Conan tonight. The game is a lot of fun, the same scenarios can play out really differently. The rules can be a bit ambiguous in some situations but nothing super drastic. It is a fun game.

Lupercal

Banned
I love it. However, throwing in all the zombie types in someone's first play through sounds like tossing them in the deep end, lol.

Also, 6 characters on the board seems to be what the majority of scenerios were designed around. If only playing with 4, we house rule a 50/50 dice roll for each spawn point. It goes a lot smoother but can still get really hairy, especially when you're allowing all the different zombie types. Rather than do that though, in 4 player games we have the 2 most experienced play 2 characters, bringing the total number of characters on the board to 6.

Love me some Zombicide! I took a painting break the past 2 weeks but I am getting back on the horse this weekend.

Have you tried the pvp yet?
Takes a bit of tweaking the existing rules but it's great fun.

v1lla21

None of the shops I've been to know when they are getting more destiny but two of them are accepting pre-orders for spirit of Rebellion. I need more awakenings boosters

Top Bottom