• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Was at MAGfest and the creators were selling their game Unknown. Picked it up on a whim, liking the idea of a mini rogue-like-like adventure in board game form.

Simple rules (despite the huge rulebook) and simple gameplay, and so far I'm glad a took the plunge. Something about an "indie" board game is pretty good to support, and I enjoy the euro-dungeon crawl nature of it.

I want the new Arkham card game expansion and the 2 print on demand add ons but cannot find a single online retailer with all 3 of them in stock. It's really frustrating.

Also, none of them have ever appeared on Amazon? What's up with that?
Having restock alerts with MM helps.

I played through both scenarios of the Dunwich Legacy with a friend and his girlfriend last night. So good. We had some great cinematic moments and ended up completing both scenarios with relatively positive results. I'm looking forward to the rest of the campaign to see how our choices play out later on down the line.

If anybody was curious, I was playing Zoey with a heavy damage tank build. I was able to use Taunt to great effect during our game. It's a fun card that works well with Zoey. Also you feel like a bad ass drawing all the enemies to you and cutting them down with a machete. I'm also loving her special item, Zoey's Cross. Getting a free damage off of an engagement feels so good. Those awkward three strength monsters are one hitters with the cross and machete.

v1lla21

Local shop just got boosters today and I bought another 8. Gonna open them in a bit.
I really wish FF did something similar to a fatpack.

Leia organa, hired gun, comlink, black one, dl44, on the hunt, cunning, Jedi robes.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Local shop just got boosters today and I bought another 8. Gonna open them in a bit.
I really wish FF did something similar to a fatpack.

Leia organa, hired gun, comlink, black one, dl44, on the hunt, cunning, Jedi robes.

not the sexiest pull, but got an expected legendary, and several of those cards are foundational cards to certain decks so pretty good!

DTU

Banned
Yeah to be fair, this is us just discussing a gimmick deck.

I take umbrage at your categorization of the Hyperloop as a gimmick. The deck is far from instawin and actually takes finesse, especially when you don't see the pieces you need till mid-game. It is a man walking towards you, 100' away, holding a Bowie knife. If you let him get within arms' reached you deserve to get stabbed.

PS I developed this deck; see http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/6147/topgunsakathehyperloop-3.0

Unboxed Legends of Andor and the quality control for the token cuts was not good. Have some tokens that didn't make it out unscathed. :( Some of the character boards have defects too. First Lost Cities and now this, I will be more hesitant about Kosmos products.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I take umbrage at your categorization of the Hyperloop as a gimmick. The deck is far from instawin and actually takes finesse, especially when you don't see the pieces you need till mid-game. It is a man walking towards you, 100' away, holding a Bowie knife. If you let him get within arms' reached you deserve to get stabbed.

PS I developed this deck; see http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/6147/topgunsakathehyperloop-3.0

Haha it doesn't have to be a pejorative! To be fair I haven't played against it much. ;)

Actually went to tournament today with wife and friend and we had a ton of fun (20p; we finished 5,6,8 although the Knights of Ren guy(s?) were always in top area and I kept playing them (accounting for my losses on the day :p)).

Gurrry

I opened my box of Destiny last night! Got some great pulls from what I can tell.

The 6 legendaries I got were Jabba, Thermal Detonator, Commanding Presence, Black One, One with the force, and ... on my 2nd to last pack... the character/card I wanted the most...

Vader!!

I opened my box of Destiny last night! Got some great pulls from what I can tell.

The 6 legendaries I got were Jabba, Thermal Detonator, Commanding Presence, Black One, One with the force, and ... on my 2nd to last pack... the character/card I wanted the most...

Vader!!

Nice!

For the previous wave my friend picked me up a box from Fantasy Flight while he was getting one. He ended up with three boxes, two of them had Vader in them, both of them the ones he opened.

I did end up getting a second Jabba, Falcon and Force Choke from that box so it worked out okay. Two boxes coming next week, I'm trying to build a Jabba deck and a Poe deck so I'm really hoping for Thermal Detonators and Black Ones. Another Crime Lord would be great too. eJabba/eFett is kind tough when you're lacking damage from upgrades. I don't have any Jetpacks, Gaffi Sticks or Thermal Detonators.

Gurrry

Nice!

For the previous wave my friend picked me up a box from Fantasy Flight while he was getting one. He ended up with three boxes, two of them had Vader in them, both of them the ones he opened.

I did end up getting a second Jabba, Falcon and Force Choke from that box so it worked out okay. Two boxes coming next week, I'm trying to build a Jabba deck and a Poe deck so I'm really hoping for Thermal Detonators and Black Ones. Another Crime Lord would be great too. eJabba/eFett is kind tough when you're lacking damage from upgrades. I don't have any Jetpacks, Gaffi Sticks or Thermal Detonators.

Those are all really good decks and cards. Im trying to make this Kylo Vader deck work for me, but I feel like I need more upgrades.

Hopefully the price on some of these singles goes down so I can beef up my deck without spending a zillion dollars.

Unboxed Legends of Andor and the quality control for the token cuts was not good. Have some tokens that didn't make it out unscathed. :( Some of the character boards have defects too. First Lost Cities and now this, I will be more hesitant about Kosmos products.
Yeah their quality control is not great, the expansions I got were printed I correctly. However, their customer service is really responsive and they quick to fix the errors unlike FFG edition which were full of errors that never got fix. Also they are supporting the game with expansions and web site.

Hopefully the price on some of these singles goes down so I can beef up my deck without spending a zillion dollars.

Same. I'll have opened 4 boxes once I get the ones coming next week and plan on buying singles to fill in anything else I still need from Awakenings afterwards.

EYEL1NER

I love it. However, throwing in all the zombie types in someone's first play through sounds like tossing them in the deep end, lol.

Also, 6 characters on the board seems to be what the majority of scenerios were designed around. If only playing with 4, we house rule a 50/50 dice roll for each spawn point. It goes a lot smoother but can still get really hairy, especially when you're allowing all the different zombie types. Rather than do that though, in 4 player games we have the 2 most experienced play 2 characters, bringing the total number of characters on the board to 6.

Love me some Zombicide! I took a painting break the past 2 weeks but I am getting back on the horse this weekend.
I did have a thought early on that maybe we should be using only the zombies that came with Season 2, that it might be too overwhelming for the new guy (and those three Abominations so early had me concerned it might be too overwhelming for us as a group), but we managed.
I've actually never read a Zombicide rule book; the three different groups I've played with have enabled me to learn most of the rules. But upon looking in the rulebook online to find the name of that mission, I learned that we got a couple things wrong. Like Abominations can bust through the prison fences. I don't actually know if that is allowed in the specific mission we played since we started in the fenced-in area and needed to finish in it, and the only door that led in and out could wind up shut depending on which switch was in a flipped position (seems advantageous to let an Abomination break in so we don't have to run around the whole building at the beginning AND end of the game). It all went well though. We didn't get anything too major wrong. I do like that this guy goes by the "Ranged shots hit zombies if they hit, they hit survivors in the same space if they miss" house rule rather than automatically hitting a survivor by priority. I hate the original rule (and believe it changed in Black Plague?), so I was glad to find out that the owner that I played with felt the same about it.

I know you are a huge Zombicide fan. I do like the game but only own a Season 2 Prison box that I got super-cheap and the entirety of Season 3. I've put off buying any other in hopes of being able to get a good deal on people selling entire pledge tiers that have the exclusives, because I am a completionist who would want all the content. I actually missed out on a BGG auction where I was outbid yesterday for a full Black Plague pledge that went for $135. One of these days I'll get lucky though.
I would ask you, how do you feel about Zombie 15? A local guy is selling his box for what seems to be a decent price. I know it isn't super-comparable to Zombicide, what with it playing in real-time, having different action mechanics, and having inferior minis. But with the similarities, it made me wonder if you had ever given it a try.

Finished the first scenario of Legends of Andor, it did not end well. :| I played as the dwarf and mage, which was probably a bad idea. I don't think there is really a way to win the first scenario with two characters, at least not your first attempt.

One thing that wasn't clear is if you can buy items during the first scenario.

Shotterke

How are you guys storing the arkham lcg? is there a good way to divide the cards for easier build of encounters and such?

If you are in the US you have Go7 gaming and The Broken Token who make inserts:
http://go7gaming.com/product-category/value-line-inserts/
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/compact-card-game-organizer/

Shipping to europe is crazy though. 55$ for Go7 and 25$ for The Broken Token.

For europe I bought one of these:
http://oplaser.co.uk/shop/arkham-horror-lgc-intermediate-limited.html

This should be fine for a few expansions and mythos packs.

Reviews for the inserts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwiXRs6mho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHh_32SB4U&t=327s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSovkcGNJiw

v1lla21

I've only played destiny with my sister, gf, and cousin so far. I don't know if any shops around here are doing tournaments or not.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but First Martians just went up for preorder a few days ago! Ordered one.

http://portalgames.pl/new_en/first-martians-adventure-on-the-red-planet-pre-orders/

You get it a month before retail, and you get some extra goodies since the publisher is doing their own print run while the main print run is happening in China. I believe the pre order is limited to 3,000 copies and they're about half way through the copies according to their face book.

I somehow never even heard of Robinson Crusoe until like a week ago (which First Martians is built off of). I wanted to pick it up because both of the themes are interesting and they'll likely play a bit different. However, I can't find a copy anywhere. 😢

Anyone else pre-order, or are big fans of Robinson Crusoe?

RC is top of my buy list (the reprint isn't out here yet).

Not sure about the new one though... it looks "spreadsheety" like playing a more dry looking eclipse. Also the app thing can be hit or miss.

Which could be completely wrong and it might be awesome, but I'm on the wait and see list.

RC is top of my buy list (the reprint isn't out here yet).

Not sure about the new one though... it looks "spreadsheety" like playing a more dry looking eclipse. Also the app thing can be hit or miss.

Which could be completely wrong and it might be awesome, but I'm on the wait and see list.

Yup, great board games can die if the app is terrible. I've played many games which are too dependent on the app which interrupts the flow of the _board_ game. I'm hoping they do a good job and strike the right balance of putting the boring / monotonous tasks in the app, while keeping the majority of the fun stuff on the board. Once I get the game, I'll provide my impressions from a newbie to the genre's perspective.

Blizzard

Banned
I was tempted to preorder the Martian game because I forgot it had an app. I don't have much interest in that.

We finally did play the new Robinson Crusoe edition. With 2 players, we won the first scenario on the first try, but I'm sure they get much harder.

The rulebook is pretty thorough, looks good, and has lots of examples. HOWEVER, it is still not exhaustive. I feel like more often than not when I had a question on a specific adventure or invention, it wouldn't have an entry in the appendix at all. Sometimes it would be explained elsewhere or we could draw a reasonable conclusion, but I guess I hoped with all those pages the appendix at least would be exhaustive. :p

Also, there are a lot of different sections. Opening the PDF on a computer and Ctrl-F searching might be faster during a game than flipping between game flow, round references, scenario details, Friday details, etc.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm waiting for RC, Odin, and Santorini. All 3 games I'm interested in are out of stock. Boo.

Well, is RC new printing available in the states yet??

Ohnonono

Anyone here who lives in the continental US that does not have Dunwich Legacy yet I may be getting an extra copy from MM on accident. When/if I have it in my hands I will I will post on here and I will send it to someone so it doesn't just sit around.

Tried to cancel my pre-order twice and left messages phone # and stuff and they still just sent it along. May have to look to CSI instead of MM in the future. Spending 2 days trying to cancel something to have them just send it is kind of annoying.

Someone here can benefit though!

Mr E.

Finished the first scenario of Legends of Andor, it did not end well. :| I played as the dwarf and mage, which was probably a bad idea. I don't think there is really a way to win the first scenario with two characters, at least not your first attempt.

One thing that wasn't clear is if you can buy items during the first scenario.
lol I was stuck at first too. If your interested take a look in this mild but frustratingly obvious when you realise spoiler.

Dont attempt to cross the bridge. The best route to the tree is around the right hand edge of the map, over the mountains. To be fair it wasn't obvious to me at first. Now go get em.

Think I've guessed where you going wrong.

Anyone here who lives in the continental US that does not have Dunwich Legacy yet I may be getting an extra copy from MM on accident. When/if I have it in my hands I will I will post on here and I will send it to someone so it doesn't just sit around.

Tried to cancel my pre-order twice and left messages phone # and stuff and they still just sent it along. May have to look to CSI instead of MM in the future. Spending 2 days trying to cancel something to have them just send it is kind of annoying.

Someone here can benefit though!

Yeah, I try to cancel something before with them and it took forever to get through and when I finally did they told me it was already prep to be ship. I haven't order anything from them since middle of last year. Lately I have been getting my stuffs from Funagain and Boardgame Bliss and Amazon. Price might be higher but I don't get charge for my pre-order until they ship and easy to cancel my stuffs.

Ohnonono

CSI pretty much does order modifications same day every time. Have done dozens with them.

I shop with both, and they are both pretty good online retailers, but I think in the end CSI is the better shop. Their customer support is super friendly.

Ultimately though I ended up buying it in my local shop. Whatever you think of it FFG's price thing has helped my local shop a ton. They have had to start ordering more of the big FFG releases because more people are actually buying it from them because after shipping you just don't save much on the mid priced FFG stuff. It has been a huge boon.

Karkador

Banned
The highlight of last night's game night was Ponzi Scheme, a game that looked like a non-starter at first, but afterwards it really kept people interested and talking about the game for a future play.

The game involves taking some cash investments that you eventually have to pay a return on (this is the part of the game where you're making insane promises to foolish investors handing you money for nothing).

The point of taking the cash is to then make secret deals with other players in order to trade ownership of different industries, and these deals are what gets you actual points in the game.

The problem is that the cash loans become so insane as the game goes on, you're taking like $54 dollars and promise to pay back $146 in 4 turns. The only way to stay alive in the game (though you're all certainly in a death spiral) is to carefully balance what cash you'll take to keep the scheme going, what deals you make with other players, and trying to time somebody else going bankrupt before you do.

For such a unique/odd game, it seems like everybody had a good time. I'm surprised that the buzz about the game, though modest, has been very positive for such a brutal game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
OMG, just split 1-1 on lunch with eDooku/eJabba (me) vs. Jango Veers... I have been STRUGGLING against this deck hard.. omfg.. Dooku Jabba has been great against everyone but except this.

So first game.. Was tense.. Jabba survived into the third round, and I drew into Ace in the Hole (starting hand) and Crime Lord (round 3). I threw it down and my opponent's face went white. I knew then that Jango was gone. It was then Veers (who picked of Jabba) against a fresh Dooku. It wasn't even close. Dooku's 9 damage done was 6 from backup muscle. It took my buddy another 3 rounds just to get that 3 more damage through. He was utterly frustrated.

Second game was way closer. My starting hand had AitH and CL. I setup perfectly. My mistake was not rolling Dooku before playing AitH. Ideally (in retrospect) you want to try to empty your opponent's hand. So yeah, he "He Doesn't Like You"'d my CL die.

So the rest of that game was legit.. I burned down Veers. I mean BURNED him down. It was full jango vs. full Dooku. Jango had 1 health left, I had 4. No cards left in either deck. He had two in his hand I had all five. I activated Dooku, and roll 1m and 2m. Game. He rolls jango/f11/jetpack. 1 +2 +3. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK granted he had a 33% chance on both F11D and Jetpack each to hit modified sides.. but yeah, he needed to roll into BOTH modified sides of those upgrades to win and he did.

grrr.. still fun, and I've finally got that deck down. only thing I have to remember is to work to discard his hand before AitH into Crime Lord.

AH:LCG still gets my game of the year for 2016.. but FFG has something amazing with Destiny. Really hope they are able to get production issues/slowness resolved.

on a downside... my Monday night shop is doing sealed... I am going to talk with them tonight. As they are doing it now, everyone buys in six packs. However you KEEP all six packs. So if someone opens 3 LGs, they are going to have a severe advantage over everyone else.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got to use Arkham DB, my registration wasn't taking for some reason. What a great sight though and such a convenient and easy way to build decks.

XShagrath

Finally got to use Arkham DB, my registration wasn't taking for some reason. What a great sight though and such a convenient and easy way to build decks.
Yeah, I'd never build a deck by going through my cards. Especially needing to keep track of skill pips, cost curve, etc. This will be especially useful in the next cycle if all the 'gators are like Marie Lambeau.

I played through Dunwich yesterday with a guy a met through the Mythos Busters podcast. We did alright in one scenario, and then horribly failed the next. It was still a great time though, and really puts this in the upper echelon of the Arkham Files games, in that I don't feel like I'm wasting my time, even when we're not "winning."

lol I was stuck at first too. If your interested take a look in this mild but frustratingly obvious when you realise spoiler.

Dont attempt to cross the bridge. The best route to the tree is around the right hand edge of the map, over the mountains. To be fair it wasn't obvious to me at first. Now go get em.

Think I've guessed where you going wrong.
Huh. Even if I had figured that out, there was still no way I was going to win. By the time I learned the real objective, getting my mage over there was a pipe dream.

Keasar

Speaking of the Arkham Horror LCG expansions, any word regarding their release/availability in Europe? People talk like it's been released but I don't see any of them available in any store here in Sweden. Also, will the smaller packs (scenario packs, mythos packs etc.) be available in Europe?

Shotterke

Speaking of the Arkham Horror LCG expansions, any word regarding their release/availability in Europe? People talk like it's been released but I don't see any of them available in any store here in Sweden. Also, will the smaller packs (scenario packs, mythos packs etc.) be available in Europe?

First expansion and mythos pack should release on 19/01 in the UK. My local store (Belgium) has the same date.

I was talking to my local store just yesterday (UK here) and they said they are almost certainly getting Dunwich this Friday, if not next week at the latest. Probably getting first mythos pack then too although they were less certain about that.

XShagrath

First expansion and mythos pack should release on 19/01 in the UK. My local store (Belgium) has the same date.
It's very doubtful that the Mythos Pack will be released at the same time. FFG still has it listed as "On the Boat." Once it moves from that to "In Stores," it's usually about a week or so, if I remember correctly.

EYEL1NER

When did Captain Sonar start hitting shelves again?

Either way, finally managed to snag a copy. REALLY excited to play this.
Nice. I remember someone ITT said they didn't have the best experience with it when I mentioned it a couple months ago but I would still like to give it a try. I've managed to hold off from buying it though since it needing ten people (ideally 10, can be played with less, but I would rather play it the ideal way) is a hard-sell, and some of the negatives do seem like things that I would not like.
I believe that BGG News reported a couple days ago that an expansion/extension is in the works titled Captain Sonar: Upgrade 1. I am betting it is just more maps and nothing more substantial than that, but more maps are something the game could use, especially for people that couldn't get the promo maps.

Nice. I remember someone ITT said they didn't have the best experience with it when I mentioned it a couple months ago but I would still like to give it a try. I've managed to hold off from buying it though since it needing ten people (ideally 10, can be played with less, but I would rather play it the ideal way) is a hard-sell, and some of the negatives do seem like things that I would not like.
I believe that BGG News reported a couple days ago that an expansion/extension is in the works titled Captain Sonar: Upgrade 1. I am betting it is just more maps and nothing more substantial than that, but more maps are something the game could use, especially for people that couldn't get the promo maps.

You need 8 and the game is great with right group of friends and family. We played several games over holiday break and has great time. My only gripe really is that the game rely solely on players being honest but if you are there to have fun it's great game.

I played two games of Eldritch Horror today. We got absolutely annihilated in the first game. Conditions, curses, clues being destroyed all over the place. Second game went much, much better with nobody getting a single negative condition. It was a real fluke.

The only real negative thing to happen was losing something like 8 clues to a Rumor. That sucked. I really like the game though! Tough not to spend money I can't afford on expansions now..

Played a few games of Scythe over the weekend too. I know it came in with a lot of hype but I really love the game. A couple of folks I was playing with felt overwhelmed at first but after a turn or two it was a breeze. It is just so fucking intuitive to play. It feels like there is enough depth of strategy to keep returning to it, for me anyway. Can certainly see people not liking it because of things relating to combat. But thats cool.

Lupercal

Banned
Bought 2 random boosters today and snagged a Poe and a Vader.
So excited, finally getting to work on a Dark deck today, might do Vader and 2 troopers.

Top Bottom