• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Thanks for the recommendations! I know someone who owns Small World so I'll check that out. All the other games sound really fun but I think Citadels might be the sweet spot in terms of length and complexity. I also came across the game Dominion and I'm considering that as well.

Keep in mind that Citadels with more than 2 people takes FOREVER. I would imagine that most people in this thread would actually recommend you away from that game even though it is good.

Madrin

Keep in mind that Citadels with more than 2 people takes FOREVER. I would imagine that most people in this thread would actually recommend you away from that game even though it is good.

How long are we talking here? Is it a fun kind of long or a boring kind of long? We've played games of Risk that lasted 4-5 hours and still enjoyed it.

Dunno to me it plays perfectly fine with 4 or so players and doesn't take that long. Anymore than that, and then yea it gets dragged out way too much. I no longer will touch it with more than 4.

Lyng

Dunno to me it plays perfectly fine with 4 or so players and doesn't take that long. Anymore than that, and then yea it gets dragged out way too much. I no longer will touch it with more than 4.

I agree. The sweetspot for Citadels seems to be 4 players.

I wouldn't recommend Citadels to people who are new to board/card gaming and never as a gateway game. An entertaining Citadels playthrough requires people to be quite familiar with the characters and their mechanics and patience to bear through the boredoom of the building mechanics.

Citadels brought new ideas to the boardgaming, but now is replaced by other games like Coup, Masquarade and Love Letter who took the better parts of it and improved upon. It was great 14 years ago but it is time to move on to greener pastures.

Lyng

I wouldn't recommend Citadels to people who are new to board/card gaming and never as a gateway game. An entertaining Citadels playthrough requires people to be quite familiar with the characters and their mechanics and patience to bear through the boredoom of the building mechanics.

Citadels brought new ideas to the boardgaming, but now is replaced by other games like Coup, Masquarade and Love Letter who took the better parts of it and improved upon. It was great 14 years ago but it is time to move on to greener pastures.

Funny enough Citadels was the game that got my wife into boardgaming, a few months ago.
Now she loves games like Agricola, Yedo, Bruges and Twilight Struggle, but originaly it was citadels that got her hooked.
The same goes for several of my non boardgamer friends. Citadels has allways worked great as a gateway game for me.

Funny enough Citadels was the game that got my wife into boardgaming, a few months ago.
Now she loves games like Agricola, Yedo, Bruges and Twilight Struggle, but originaly it was citadels that got her hooked.
The same goes for several of my non boardgamer friends. Citadels has allways worked great as a gateway game for me.

Same here, the non gaming friends like it, there's always a lot of table chatter about strategy and who's leading and ways to stop them.

Importantly is to transition them to other games instead of constantly playing Citadels because the shine wears off after around 10 or so plays.

I've always used it as a game for more newbie gamers and it's always worked fine. Games like Coup and Love letter are easier for sure, but Citadels is not much more

fenners

I've always used it as a game for more newbie gamers and it's always worked fine. Games like Coup and Love letter are easier for sure, but Citadels is not much more

The "thing" in citadels that I've seen throw off new players to modern eurogames is the disconnect between roles & players, how certain powers/attacks are against a role, not a player.

That being said, it's a minor thing.

I like citadels, especially two player, but's definitely old.

Lyng

Same here, the non gaming friends like it, there's always a lot of table chatter about strategy and who's leading and ways to stop them.

Importantly is to transition them to other games instead of constantly playing Citadels because the shine wears off after around 10 or so plays.

This is very true. Then again at that point they should be more then ready to try more complex / newer games.

I have to say, Legendary Encounters is a much better game than Legendary, even with expansions. Played it for the first time last night and was very happy it wasn't just a reskin of Legendary. The new mechanics make it feel so much better. I really recommend giving it a try.

Dreavus

This is the only way I'd play that game again (hasn't hit our table in a while). It just drags like crazy with more than that.

I always thought 3 players was kind of cool too getting to choose 2 roles each round instead of one.

So guys, I am running a couple horror board games this October at my local comic shop. So far, I have Betrayal at House on the Hill, Level 7, and Ghost Stories as definite choices with Elder Signs and OG rules Zombicide as potentials to flesh out the month.

However, I really want a horror themed traitor game like Resistance, Shadows Over Camelot, or Battlestar Galactica. I know Werewolf is an option, but I want to know if there are any others out there.

Any suggestions?

Scala

I'm tempted to buy the Android: Netrunner to play with my 11 year old son. He is great Hearthstone, Smash and King of Tokyo player!
Should I risk buying the game?

Chorazin

So guys, I am running a couple horror board games this October at my local comic shop. So far, I have Betrayal at House on the Hill, Level 7, and Ghost Stories as definite choices with Elder Signs and OG rules Zombicide as potentials to flesh out the month.

However, I really want a horror themed traitor game like Resistance, Shadows Over Camelot, or Battlestar Galactica. I know Werewolf is an option, but I want to know if there are any others out there.

Any suggestions?

Dead of Winter. Should be out by then!

Also, add in City of Horror. :)

Karkador

Banned
I'm tempted to buy the Android: Netrunner to play with my 11 year old son. He is great Hearthstone, Smash and King of Tokyo player!

Netrunner is MUCH more complicated than those games. It's truly a great game you should play eventually, but it would be a big jump in difficulty and commitment to understand the game.

If you want a card game that is more intermediate, but still very fun, I really recommend Seasons. It is a card game with many of the concepts you might find in a big CCG game like Magic, but it's simple to play, and gradually introduces the advanced concepts to you. The art is excellent, and I think your son would like it a lot.

Draxal

I think Netrunner is very abstract in theme, so it requires a bit more of an older audience. I would ease him into it later on by getting something like Magic over that, and if he mainains interest at Magic then maybe Netrunner.

I like City of Horror, but so far every group i've played it with has hated it. Afraid of Dead of Winter, some just don't like the being a dickbag part of the games? I think they are great

Phthisis

For my money Netrunner is the best card game ever made, but it's also more complex than Hearthstone. If you think your son can handle that, then you and he would have a great time playing together.

Faiz

I'm so sick an tired of hearing about netrunner!

Because it sounds fantastic but a) it's been going so long I'd never feel like I'd be "caught up" and b) no way I'd get anyone else invested enough in playing with me!

yeah, that first line is just a silly way of me lamenting my inability to pursue netrunner not a legit complaint about people discussing it ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Because it sounds fantastic but a) it's been going so long I'd never feel like I'd be "caught up" and b) no way I'd get anyone else invested enough in playing with me!

yeah, that first line is just a silly way of me lamenting my inability to pursue netrunner not a legit complaint about people discussing it ;)

Get in on it man! We have a pretty big group at work and I think we get 1-2 new players a month. It takes maybe a few weeks to get up to speed but it's well worth it. (I would say you do need some sort of local community of players though, whether at work, game store, whatever.)

Speaking of Netrunner, this is a long shot, but is there anyone in this thread located near Tacoma, WA that would be interested in a group? there's a new Uncle's Games location at the Tacoma Mall and I think getting a weekly/monthly Netrunner group going would be pretty cool.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Speaking of Netrunner, this is a long shot, but is there anyone in this thread located near Tacoma, WA that would be interested in a group? there's a new Uncle's Games location at the Tacoma Mall and I think getting a weekly/monthly Netrunner group going would be pretty cool.

Define "near"... I'm in Vancouver.

... Okay that's not near :(

Karkador

Banned
My girlfriend and I have been on a binge of Civilization V on PC lately.

Do you guys have any favorite board game Civ-building games? I like playing Through the Ages on BGA, and I've been nervously eyeing the Civilization board game, as well as Patchistory.

Do you guys have any favorite board game Civ-building games? I like playing Through the Ages on BGA, and I've been nervously eyeing the Civilization board game, as well as Patchistory.

Nations is supposed to be really good too. Roll through the ages is a nice quick civ-lite game.

fenners

Try Patchistory before you buy.

Civ-like games are a fav within my regular gaming group. TtA is great, but the lack of board & fiddliness of upkeep frustrates some folk. Clash of Cultures is an interesting one from the past couple of years with a great tech-tree system. Olympus is one that's often overlooked but is easy to play, with a nice progression system, and is short. Rise of Empires is a classic.

Depends what you want out of Civ-like games.

Karkador

Banned
Try Patchistory before you buy.

Civ-like games are a fav within my regular gaming group. TtA is great, but the lack of board & fiddliness of upkeep frustrates some folk. Clash of Cultures is an interesting one from the past couple of years with a great tech-tree system. Olympus is one that's often overlooked but is easy to play, with a nice progression system, and is short. Rise of Empires is a classic.

Depends what you want out of Civ-like games.

We like the building-up, the resource management, and the historical/cultural immersion more than the fighting.

Phthisis

I'm in Seattle, so Tacoma is probably too far for me to regularly go, but if you're up in this part of the sound, I'd be down to play. Can't guarantee I'd be any sort of challenge, though.

Karkador said:

If you like Civ the PC game, Civ the board game is excellent; it's like a wonderfully abstracted version of all the stuff you like about the PC game. It isn't the best two player game, however. It shines at 3-5. If you want a Civ-style game that plays well with 2, I recommend Nations. It's like Through The Ages, but way shorter. I know some don't like it, but I think it is a nice, playable Civ game that scratches the itch.

Karkador

Banned
I take it there's more than one board game called Civilization. To be clear, the Civ board game I keep seeing is Sid Meier's Civilization (by FFG). This is the one you're recommending?

Musan

I would go with Nations over Sid Meier's Civ, if you would like to focus on the resource management culture immersion. The sheer variety of possible cards from different cultures make for a different play each time. Only knock against Nations I've heard mentioned is that it does not feel like you are building a big nation by the end.

I take it there's more than one board game called Civilization. To be clear, the Civ board game I keep seeing is Sid Meier's Civilization (by FFG). This is the one you're recommending?
Yes, there is a boardgame called Civilization, but it is long out of print and hard to find. To add to more confusion, there is another Sid Meier's Civ boardgame by Eagle games. From what I understand it's not good. The Sid Meier game you what is the one from FFG. It feels most like Civ Rev than Civ 5, but that's not a bad thing.

Clash of Cultures is also another good Civ game. That one feels a lot like Civ 5 with civilian happiness management, tech trees, and city improvements. The downside is the players don't really have their own identity. For a Civ game I really like variable player powers. The expansion is supposed to fix that so that's another thing to look forward to.

Nations is also good, it is a bit more abstracted than Sid Meier's Civ. It's also a very tactical. Long term plans can be ruined by other players or the deck of cards themselves. You have to be able to adjust your tactics on the fly in order to do well.

Lyng

Just played Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the cursed Island for the first time yesterday.
Had prepared for days, reading rules and quick start guides etc. Even still I had to check the rulebook a few times during setup.

However once we got into the flow of the game, everything seemed to click and seemed really fluid and thematic.
Fantastic game!
Cannot recommend it enough.

Chorazin

After missing my game night last week due to a cold, I'm super psyched for tomorrow night. Finally gonna get Tzolk'in to the table, and maybe some Dragon Slayer before or after. :-D

Icefire1424

Coincidentally, I'm also sick and tired of hearing about Netrunner and NOT hearing anything about the Star Wars LCG, which I absolutely LOVE but also have difficulty in finding anyone to play with. I mean, c'mon people, it's Star Wars! And all that...

Seriously though, Netrunner does sound like fun.

Experien

So Star Realms is good?

I am going on vacation this Saturday and it looks like it will be raining the whole time so thinking of seeing if there is a fun, small game that doesn't get too repetitive to play with my gf to change things up. Not sure what I am bringing but I have small games like Noueni, 8 Minute Empire: Legends, Boss Monster, and relatively String Railway...

Any recommendations that can be ordered from Amazon would be swell.

Coincidentally, I'm also sick and tired of hearing about Netrunner and NOT hearing anything about the Star Wars LCG, which I absolutely LOVE but also have difficulty in finding anyone to play with. I mean, c'mon people, it's Star Wars! And all that...

Seriously though, Netrunner does sound like fun.

I love me some Star Wars, but the few times I've played there's been a big disconnect between the flavor and the mechanics, it's hard for me to visualize the battle that's going on when Princess Leia takes down a TIE Fighter. it seems mechanically solid though, I enjoy the Force betting system they implement before the combat, I love games within games. What are some of the smaller packs i should look into if i was interested in more?

I love me some Star Wars, but the few times I've played there's been a big disconnect between the flavor and the mechanics, it's hard for me to visualize the battle that's going on when Princess Leia takes down a TIE Fighter. it seems mechanically solid though, I enjoy the Force betting system they implement before the combat, I love games within games. What are some of the smaller packs i should look into if i was interested in more?

Well combat is done in turn one at a time, unlike other card games where cards are fighting each other at the same time, the initiative in the game is supposed to represent multiple encounters. Leia goes and sabotages a Tie Fighter, it doesn't fight back as the system doesn't work that way to represent an actual one on one fight. Also why some actions from units/characters involve simply delaying units or putting them out of a fight temporarily.

OMG, I just watched a run-through and Quilt Show actually looks like a lot of fun.

I had no quilting games and now I'm considering two, amazing.

Phthisis

Just got Ortus Regni in the mail today. Holy balls is that an amazingly beautiful production. One of the most epic boxes I own.

Icefire1424

Only one I would recommend as "essential" is the Edge of Darkness expansion, as it fills out the Scum and Villainy and Smugglers and Spies decks that were sorely missing from the core set. Anything after that is personal flavor.

Top Bottom