• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Xater

Has anyone here checked out Deus? The rules are up now. Now I am no longer sure if I should get Black Fleet or Deus. Love the theme and take that stuff of Black Fleet but Deus seems meatier while still being simple in it's mechanics.

Draxal

So Star Realms is good?

I am going on vacation this Saturday and it looks like it will be raining the whole time so thinking of seeing if there is a fun, small game that doesn't get too repetitive to play with my gf to change things up. Not sure what I am bringing but I have small games like Noueni, 8 Minute Empire: Legends, Boss Monster, and relatively String Railway...

Any recommendations that can be ordered from Amazon would be swell.

I love Star Realms, but I think it's much more convenient to play on a tablet, just too fiddly for what it is otherwise.

I'd bring small stuff like Lost Legacy: Star ship and Love Letter instead.

Faiz

I love Star Realms, but I think it's much more convenient to play on a tablet, just too fiddly for what it is otherwise.

I'd bring small stuff like Lost Legacy: Star ship and Love Letter instead.

Really? The only bit I find "fiddly" are the Authority score/health cards. We just use pen and paper instead. Otherwise feels about as "fiddly" as any deck building game.

ultron87

I enjoy the process of playing Star Realms quite a bit, because any game where I can draw like 5 extra cards and lay them out is great, but now that I have a physical copy of that I'm basically done with deckbuilders that have the Ascension style buy row that is constantly changing. It feels like once you've got the basic strategies down the results of the game are just too dependent on what comes up in the buy row. It is tough to plan out any sort of long term strategy because there isn't any certainty in what you're buying. The best you can do is "I'm focusing on Blue and Green ships this game."

I'm heeeeerrree...

Here are my first forays into table top gaming.. don't laugh!

Hey, That's My Fish (It was on Clearance for 5 dollars and I liked the artwork)
I also liked that it had little figurines.
ty05-cover-htmf.jpg

Cards Against Humanity (Can't wait to play it.. Waiting for an opportunity with multiple people who won't be offended)
cahLogo.gif

Escape The Curse of the Temple (Gave this a spin last night with the girlfriend. Was a lot of fun. Really liked it and would love to find more games like it. Can't wait to play again with the optional modules and then, expansions)
escape-from-the-temple-curse-13648-p.jpg

emag

I'm looking for a spooky-themed game for five people. We already own some versions of Werewolf, as well as Mansions of Madness.

Something strategic, ideally. And something party-ish would be good.

Fury of Dracula (although I think it plays best with three, having each hunter player take control of two characters, as downtime may be problematic otherwise). The whole gang (Van Helsing, Mina Harker, Seward, Godalming) tracks Dracula through a wonderfully depicted Europe to put an end to him once and for all, while he places traps and attempts to outwit his pursuers at every turn. It's a medium weight, thematic game that will probably run two to three hours.

And One Night Ultimate Werewolf plays super-fast and scales nicely to five. Might consider that as filler.

Draxal

Really? The only bit I find "fiddly" are the Authority score/health cards. We just use pen and paper instead. Otherwise feels about as "fiddly" as any deck building game.

Pretty much all deck builders are too fiddly for what they are, they translate so well to the tablet experience due to that.

The fiddliest ones being Shadowrun: Crossfire and Pathfinder: Adventure card game.

EYEL1NER

I just played my first game of Hey! That's My Fish (FFG version) either Monday or Tuesday night with my wife and my 5yo. We liked it well-enough. I ended up losing, since I thought so highly of my gaming skills compared to my wife that I didn't even really try for any strategy. Since the box is so small, I plan to take it back to Greenland with me so we can play, I anticipate it going over really well.

Now I need to follow a recommendation I saw I believe on BGG and buy a couple NERF foam darts with the suction cups. I saw someone say that they use those to 'glom' onto the ice flows and lift them without disrupting the rest of the play area. Now that I have played and struggled with trying to keep the flows in line after the tedious set-up, I totally get it. Those suction darts will work wonders for picking up pieces.

I got a $25 copy of Skull (and Roses, but the Dia de los Muertos themed box) off Amazon two days ago that should get here in a couple hours. I'll probably introduce that one to my wife and daughter tonight. The completionist in me needs to track down Skull and Roses and Skull and Roses: Red though, since those both look so great with the biker/tattoo themed art.

Faiz

Pretty much all deck builders are too fiddly for what they are, they translate so well to the tablet experience due to that.

The fiddliest ones being Shadowrun: Crossfire and Pathfinder: Adventure card game.

Ok, that's fair that you find deck builders in general too fiddly. Given that it's a general opinion you have of the genre I'm not sure how helpful it is to call out a specific deck building game as being fiddly to someone who inquires about how good a specific deck building game is.

EYEL1NER

Carcasonne 2.0

Same tile backs, new tile front art.

Main box comes with the River, and new mini Expansion, the Abbot.

http://zmangames.com/nouvelles-details.php?id=449

Seems like a completely unnecessary cash grab. I love carcasonne and I'm a little miffed but the exclusive Abbot mini expansion but ultimately I can live without.
I do want some of the other versions, like New World, South Seas, or the winter-themed version. For some reason I don't feel the need to get this. Not too much to go off of yet regarding the new tile art. From the little of it I can see, I don't feel like I have to run out and buy it. So that is good for my wallet I guess.

Just ordered a copy of Space Hulk from The War Store for $116.XX. Really excited about that.
Also, someone on BGG said that they saw Machi Koro at Barnes and Noble and sure as shit it is listed as in-stock on their site. So I am excited about possibly getting that soon. I leave the country on the 15th and already think I will have to cancel my King of New York preorder with CSI. I didn't want to have to cancel Machi Koro as well (in addition to wanting the game as soon as possible, it would also open up more money for me to have to fill to keep free shipping on the order), so there might be good news on that front soon. Though that box is going to be so big as to prevent me from taking it back to Greenland with me to play with coworkers.

Carcasonne 2.0

Same tile backs, new tile front art.

Main box comes with the River, and new mini Expansion, the Abbot.

http://zmangames.com/nouvelles-details.php?id=449

Seems like a completely unnecessary cash grab. I love carcasonne and I'm a little miffed but the exclusive Abbot mini expansion but ultimately I can live without.

Could be good for new fans, but I've invested too much on expansions of the original release to care about this.

I'm so sad to see Rio Grande Games shrinking, I think they deserve better. They were the best for me when it came to good games, components quality and box size. I feel like almost every other publisher overproduces the heck of their games.

RGG was that perfect balance for me. Fuck Z-man too.

EYEL1NER

Damn, Skull just got here. I unwrapped/punched it and am now sitting and marveling at how gorgeous these cards/tiles are. This artwork is great. The game seems like it is very simple as well, I look forward to getting a game in after dinner tonight.

Draxal

Ok, that's fair that you find deck builders in general too fiddly. Given that it's a general opinion you have of the genre I'm not sure how helpful it is to call out a specific deck building game as being fiddly to someone who inquires about how good a specific deck building game is.

I was just recommending the tablet version of the game instead (although I must confess it didn't seem like I was doing that), and he seemed to be wanting games that were light and easy for travel purposes.

Neverfade

Played Valley of the Kings last night with the wife. A fair amount of positive reviews on BGG led me astray. It's a huge deck of boring fucking cards.

Hated it.

Played Valley of the Kings last night with the wife. A fair amount of positive reviews on BGG led me astray. It's a huge deck of boring fucking cards.

Hated it.

Interesting. It's probably my favorite deck building game. It's absolutely brutal in what you can do to your opponents...and there are some crazy card combos.

daevv

Even though our group hasn't played much this summer I'm still buying games. I finally pulled the trigger on Tales of the Arabian Nights. Been on the fence for awhile but got a fairly good deal at $50 with free shipping so I took it. Next on my WTB list is Legends of Andor. :)

Popped open Alien Uprising this evening. It's kind of a tower defense type game. You crash on an alien planet and are trying to fix your ship to gtfo while getting swarmed by aliens. Holy cow the rule book is atrocious. For setup, it says to use the setup guide. The setup guide never tells you to pick an objective card and to follow the setup rules on the back of it. It comes with extra tokens for thing that the rule book doesn't explain. This lead to an extremely difficult first experience with the game. Despite this, it was fun and we almost pulled it out thanks to many sonic grenades. It lends itself to telling fun stories, like the turn where my friend had to sacrifice his armor to be able to move an extra space to throw a grenade out at a whole mess of aliens we'd placed all in a single sector because it was our only hope. Plan worked perfectly. Everyone playing wants to try it again now that we better understand how to play.

Chorazin

Played Tzolk'in last night, holy crap that was awesome!! It really lived up to the hype on BGG, so many tough choices to make right off the bat. Anyone who says the gear mechanism is a gimmick is crazy, that game would be rediculously fidly to pull off without them.

Worker placement and resource management games are rapidly becoming my favorites to play, and this really hit both spots perfectly. Probably going to break down and order the expansion next week!

Mumei

What do members of this community call themselves?

Anyway! I am looking for some suggestions. During the holidays, my parents' house is where everyone in the family comes to visit. In recent years our board game collection, already rather paltry, has dwindled down to two Monopoly sets with perhaps a full set between them, Scrabble, and ... I believe that's it. Well, my Go board but that's not really something that lends itself to group play. And we always seem to have someone asking if we have any board games and it'd be nice to have some newer stuff that's everyone hasn't already played, or at least have more options.

So, I'm looking to expand the collection (very slightly). I'm looking for games that play well with 4+ players, are relatively easy to pick up, and enjoyable by a variety of ages (e.g. a seven year old could be reasonably competent).

Any ideas?

joelseph

Anyway! I am looking for some suggestions. During the holidays, my parents' house is where everyone in the family comes to visit. In recent years our board game collection, already rather paltry, has dwindled down to two Monopoly sets with perhaps a full set between them, Scrabble, and ... I believe that's it. Well, my Go board but that's not really something that lends itself to group play. And we always seem to have someone asking if we have any board games and it'd be nice to have some newer stuff that's everyone hasn't already played, or at least have more options.

So, I'm looking to expand the collection (very slightly). I'm looking for games that play well with 4+ players, are relatively easy to pick up, and enjoyable by a variety of ages (e.g. a seven year old could be reasonably competent).

Any ideas?

Wits and Wagers. Easy to teach trivia game for people that hate trivia. Plays 2-30+

Fun for all ages and types.

Most awarded party game ever.

"Awesome" mostly.

As to your request:

Dixit - plays up to 6 I believe. Cool surreal art cards. Players take turns being the story teller. They make up something describing one of their cards in secret. Other players secretly submit one of their cards that matches the description. Storyteller shuffles, everyone tries to guess which was his. He gets points if some but not all guess correctly (and people who "Steal" guesses get some points too).

Resistance or Werewolf - Social games that are basically all about deduction. Figuring out who is a spy or the werewolf or whatever. No setup, no long rules explanation. Fits large groups (Werewolf kind of REQUIRES a large group).

Love Letter - only players up to 4, but is a super quick deduction game as players try to sneak love letters to a princess. Involves a lot of trying to guess which cards other players have.

Palmer_v1

Any ideas?

Wits and Wagers is a good suggestion. I've also played Telestrations lately with large mixed groups. It's a combination of pictionary and the phone game, and can be played by anyone regardless of artistic talent.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Any ideas?
Focusing on games you can play with >4:
-Ticket to Ride! + Team Asia if you have 6 (awesome set-collection train game)
-King of Tokyo (yahtzee-like monster dice-chucker)
-Hanabi (innovative co-op)
-Time's Up (charades-ish party game for even numbers)

as to what we call ourselves #notyourmeeple

Karkador

Banned
Mumei!

Here are some more good family game recommendations. Each title has a link to a video review you can check out for more info:

For Sale: This is a popular, quick and easy auction/real-estate type of game, like Monopoly sans all the extraneous crap. The first half of the game is spent bidding on property cards of different values, then the game flips (much like the properties you're buying) to selling them for the highest profit. Plays up to 6.

Incan Gold : I think this is my highest recommendation on this list, it seems to fit your needs perfectly. It's another simple game about exploring a temple for treasure in a group. Each turn, people vote whether they'll keep going, or leave back to camp. The people leaving that turn will split the treasure found so far. The one who keeps going gets to keep new things for themselves, but they risk encountering all sorts of danger in the temple. Really fun push-your-luck style of game, VERY easy to learn for anyone, plays up to 8 people.

Carcassonne: This is a classic game at this point, and for good reason. Each player builds out a map of castles, forests, fields, and roads, adding their people to the map in different ways to score points. The gameplay is a little more complicated than the other games mentioned so far, but it's also a more fulfilling game. It's interesting for adults, and probably really cool for kids, too (I've yet to play it with a kid, though). Plays up to 5.

Such a Thing? : This is a really interesting language/riddle/wordplay type of game. The table will have a set of cards with descriptors - example: "Could fit a mouse but definitely not a person", "Moves from place to place often but neither on wheels nor on foot", "Is about as heavy as I am". Each player will add a new card with a new descriptor to that set, all the while having in mind (or pretending to have something in mind) one thing that will fit all the criteria on the board. If the next player in line thinks the last player can't name "such a thing" that fits all the criteria on the table, she can call them out. If they CAN name such a thing, the doubting player takes more cards as punishment, if not, the last player takes more cards. Really clever thinking is rewarded! Plays up to 10.

Hanabi : This is a co-op card game that I successfully played with some very casual, old-folks type of people, and they enjoyed it enough to ask to play it again. The concept of the game is dead-simple - you have to work together to play 5 different rows of cards in order (so Red 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ; Yellow 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). The only problem is that no one can see the cards in their hand, only the cards in everyone else's hand. The game lets you give clues to other players, but only a clue about what color they have, or what number they have. Cue 30 minutes or so of people working out the most complex solution to the easiest problem. Lots of fun! Plays up to 5.

I really want to get Through the Ages, but I feel at this point, I might as well just want until the 2015 edition. Seems like maybe by then I'll find someone who wants to play it as well.

The wait for the Clash of Cultures expansion continues.

I feel like you think we're going to laugh because of Hey That's My Fish, but that game is fantastic, it just happens to have kind of silly name/boxart. 5 bucks for it is a steal!

I had fun playing it!

I was considering going back and buying another box, and making a game board that's twice as big.. Then I thought, well, maybe it wouldn't really add to the fun and just take twice as long to set up.

What do you think? Would it be more entertaining with a larger board, or is it the perfect size already?

EYEL1NER

Any ideas?
I think the recommendation for Love Letter is pretty good. Meets all your criteria: Plays well with 4 people, easy to pick up, easy for younger people to play while still being enjoyable for older people. It is also super-cheap ($7-$10) and many rounds can be played pretty quickly.

Ticket to Ride was recommended as well and it fits what you are looking for. TtR has sold millions of copies and doesn't have the recognition that Monopoly or Scrabble does, but it kind of fits into that 'classic' role in the hobby.

I like Guillotine quite a bit. Components consist of two decks of cards, one deck full of action cards that allow you to do different things and the other deck consists of cartoony French nobles who are worth points upon being executed. There is also a cardboard guillotine that signifies which way the line of nobles is moving. Everyone I have played the game with has liked it. A seven year old would be able to grasp it pretty easily and the theme is cartoony enough that I wouldn't think it would be an issue. There is a fair amount of strategy involved with playing cards to change line order, move nobles, or place them in other people's collection (some are worth negative points). Game costs somewhere around $15 I think?

Karkador

Banned
I really want to get Through the Ages, but I feel at this point, I might as well just want until the 2015 edition. Seems like maybe by then I'll find someone who wants to play it as well.

The wait for the Clash of Cultures expansion continues.

What's the 2015 edition of Through the Ages have?

What's the 2015 edition of Through the Ages have?

Don't know, other than this tidbit from CGE:

"We are also proud to announce that the first of these future titles is Through the Ages. We are aware it is a long-expected title and one of the best-rated board games, and we are putting maximal care into it. We have decided to improve all aspects of the game:

We are doing new card design and illustrations. With the help of the online community that has been playing the game for years, we will rebalance some cards and adjust a few details for smoother gameplay. And we are considering including additional cards, for higher variability.

We decided to do all this work not just because of the digital version. Simultaneously, we plan to work on a new edition of the physical board game that will feature similar improvements. Both versions will be released once we are satisfied with them. Currently we expect that this will happen next year, so you can expect the new version of the board game at Essen 2015."

Apparently the kickstarter for the reprint (from a different company) looked kinda shady, but all I know/care about is that CSI has it back in stock, and I want it, but am content to wait until either I have someone willing to sit through it and learn or until this version comes out and is better (or worse).

zulux21

I can't even imagine how boring ticket to ride would be with 6 players... it was pretty boring waiting for people to do stuff with just 3 @_@

It's a game I just own on PC and will likely keep it that way unless it comes in at work.

anyways some suggestions that haven't been mentioned.

red dragon inn
each set of red dragon in is stand alone and can be mix and matched with other sets. You basically pick a character and work to be the last person standing during the celebration after a successful dungeon dive. you have to deal with taking damage from your friends, and try not to get too drunk to stay in the game. It's pretty simple but my group has had a lot of fun with it, and it's been a big success with my wife's coworkers.

agustus
a great in between game, a little bit of set up but no more than monopoly... and in general the rules are pretty easy, though you might have to print off a few reference sheets for what tiles do. Anyways the game plays a lot like multicard bingo, just instead of winning prizes for getting a bingo, effects happen such as making other people take off pieces or giving you some pieces on others cards.

a number of steve jackson games are also not bad (munchkin, ninja burger, chez geek) nor is flux but those are all card games :p

finally the resistance/avalon are great if you have 5 or more people
even my mother, who found dixit to complex... managed to pick up at least the basic game with little trouble, as you are given a role (either good or bad) and have to either figure out who the bad people are if you are good, or work on messing over missions while not giving yourself away as a bad person. There are more things you can do with other rules, but the base rules are pretty easy to pick up and the deduction can cause people to say things they wouldn't normally say.

fenners

Friends don't let friends recommend Red Dragon Inn. And Munchkin's not a great idea either - it'll likely end up in really long games with too much 'take that' & lack of control for players.

There's been a bunch of great ideas from Astrload, platy, arkador, & bombermouse. Just don't buy Red Dragon Inn/Munchkin/Ninja Burger/Chez Geek to introduce to your family :( Those games may have humourous moments in them, but the downtime & randomness kills the value of them & have strong potential for turning your family against modern games, especially if you end up playing them more than once quickly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't even imagine how boring ticket to ride would be with 6 players... it was pretty boring waiting for people to do stuff with just 3 @_@
TTR Team with 6 is one of the best casual gaming experiences period. You share trains though, so playtime is probably around what it is with 3-4, i.e., 45-70.

Lyng

I second Dixit and Resistance! Not that the other games mentioned are bad, I just really love Dixit and think you'll have fun with it. Very much based on imagination. Resistance would be fun with a family. :eek:

Yup same here. And I have found those two games to be a hit with all kinds of groups. Gamers and non-gamers alike.

Faiz

Friends don't let friends recommend Red Dragon Inn. And Munchkin's not a great idea either - it'll likely end up in really long games with too much 'take that' & lack of control for players.

There's been a bunch of great ideas from Astrload, platy, arkador, & bombermouse. Just don't buy Red Dragon Inn/Munchkin/Ninja Burger/Chez Geek to introduce to your family :( Those games may have humourous moments in them, but the downtime & randomness kills the value of them & have strong potential for turning your family against modern games, especially if you end up playing them more than once quickly.

My family loves munchkin. It's the most often requested when we are all (about 6 of us) together. *shrug*

Xater

What's wrong with recommending Alhambra or Carcasonne guys? Just get the big boxes of those and you are set. Best family games ever.

I'd include Ticket to Ride as well to the best family games list but that was already mentioned. I'd get Europe though because it's more interesting to play without buying any expansion.

Edit: Forgot that Airlines Europe is also a fantastic family game if you want something economic.

What's wrong with recommending Alhambra or Carcasonne guys? Just get the big boxes of those and you are set. Best family games ever.

I'd include Ticket to Ride as well to the best family games list but that was already mentioned. I'd get Europe though because it's more interesting to play without buying any expansion.

Edit: Forgot that Airlines Europe is also a fantastic family game if you want something economic.
Nothing wrong with both those games. Airlines Europe is also great, but I think it's out of print now.

Played the first 2 cases of Sherlock Holmes tonight. Had a ball with it. We did terrible in the first case but did really well in the second. We solved the case and were only 45 points from Holmes. Happy with that.

Really enjoyed the game and I'm glad I bought it.

Top Bottom