• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Mista Koo

Mumei I'd recommend Qwirkle, it's kind of Scrabble meets dominoes.
Get Bit and Bang the Dice game would work too.

Since Mumei brought it up,I've also been introducing my family to board games recently and would like to continue to do so. I would like to get games that would be fun to play with my regular gaming group at the same time.
These were the games we've tried:
  • Ticket to Ride Europe: Definitely the most played, it took a while to convince them to play it (had to try a few simpler ones before). Keep in mind that Europe is more complex than vanilla.
  • Jaipur: This was a huge hit with my nephew and step niece.
  • Lost Cities: I played this with my sister a lot until I stopped enjoying it because I barely win lol.
  • Qwirkle: Everyone loved it and got into it quickly. First game I tried. It also works when we have the tiny kids over (although we ignore the no duplication rule).
  • Forbidden Island/Hanabi: We only played them once or twice. They enjoyed them but I don't think cooperative games sounded interesting.
Here are my criteria for what I'm looking for:
  • Takes around an hour or so (45-90 is fine I guess).
  • Plays well with 2 (that's how we'll mostly play them, but we'll go up to 4).
  • No required text unless it's on board/face up cards (my nephew and step niece can barely read any English, never thought I had to think about text requirements).
Here are what I'm eying at the moment:
  • King of New York
  • Airlines Europe (one too many Alan R. Moon games with Europe map?)
  • Fearsome Floors (bonus point for playing it at large game nights)
  • Survive: Escape from Atlantis (is it too light?)
  • Smallworld (too much conflict?)
  • Bohnanza
  • Steam Park (not good with 2?)
  • Alhambra (seems dry, never played it)
  • Thebes (out of print and not sure if it's good)
Any suggestions (or warnings) are appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and as always, here are the games I've played during the last couple game nights:
  • Last Night on Earth: We were playing one of the advanced scenarios and the game just dragged on forever. I was the zombies and I lost but there were only 2 or 3 rounds left, and I only needed two more kills.
  • Coup: I played a few games with 5 and 6 players and I really like it. I realized that I enjoy the bluffing part in Resistance more than the deduction. It's also always funny when the passive guy everyone is forgetting about wins.
  • Space Cadets: Dice Duel: So I'm pretty sure we got a lot of things wrong and the game dragged on, every time a person who knew the game looked over thought we weren't hectic nor fast enough. It was kinda fun, although at the end it was just a race because we weren't sure what we can do. We were only 6 and we definitely could've used another player guiding us.
  • Caverna: We played a 6 player game, sure it took long but it was surprisingly enjoyable. I only played Agricola once and didn't really get it. I started playing this similarly but got it midway through the game. I ended up winning by one point due to my yellow tiles giving me a lot of bonus points. I kinda wanna give Agricola another chance now.

Neverfade

Nothing wrong with both those games. Airlines Europe is also great, but I think it's out of print now.

I think the reprint is hitting stores now. CSI has had stock in for most of this week.

Pretty good game.

Edit: Koo, since the out of print Thebes is on your list, I'm going to say nix it and go for the superior card game version Thebes: The Tomb Raiders. Good shit.

daevv

Played the first 2 cases of Sherlock Holmes tonight. Had a ball with it. We did terrible in the first case but did really well in the second. We solved the case and were only 45 points from Holmes. Happy with that.

Really enjoyed the game and I'm glad I bought it.

My wife and I really like it too. She's a crime novel reader and CSI fan so I knew she would be into it. :)

Mumei

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.

I think that stuff like Wits and Wagers (particularly Family Edition, so kids will be able to better participate in the guessing), Hanabi, Ticket to Ride, or Telestrations (list not exhaustive) would probably go over best, though I think that's partly because I know some of my family would be skeptical about a game with a more overt science fiction or fantasy theme. Yeah, I know.

Also, I've played Carcassonne - just once! - and I loved it, but I'm not sure what I should get. The anniversary edition? The original? The box set? Do the expansions add to the game or do they overcomplicate it? Help!

I think that stuff like Wits and Wagers (particularly Family Edition, so kids will be able to better participate in the guessing), Hanabi, Ticket to Ride, or Telestrations (list not exhaustive) would probably go over best, though I think that's partly because I know some of my family would be skeptical about a game with a more overt science fiction or fantasy theme. Yeah, I know.

Also, I've played Carcassonne - just once! - and I loved it, but I'm not sure what I should get. The anniversary edition? The original? The box set? Do the expansions add to the game or do they overcomplicate it? Help!

Some of the Carcassonne spinoffs have simpler scoring. Hunters and gatherers is my favorite but I heard good things about southern seas too.

Carcassonne south seas is my absolute favorite.

Draxal

I'd hold off on Carcassonne due to 2.0 edition of it just being announced.

Kings of Tokyo is big monster/kaiju themed so it wouldn't fit into the more over science fiction/fantasy as much as the others.

EYEL1NER

I would recommend the base game with The River from Z-Man Games, this one here (which seems to have risen in price a little bit).
After that, the two most agreed-upon expansions that add a lot without overcomplicating the game are the first two expansions, "Inns and Cathedrals" and "Traders and Builders." Some of the rest do complicate things quite a bit and others just aren't any fun. But people in here would probably have opinions on individual expansions if you decided one sounded interesting.
If you buy any, make sure to buy the editions from the same publisher. So if you bought the Rio Grande base game, buy the Rio Grande expansions and the same for if you buy Z-Man. Then the backs of the tiles won't be drastically different when combined between expansions and base game.

"We like the game (Tragedy Looper) but there's too much thinking involved... so in the off chance we ever play again we'll only play if we can write down notes (same reason we don't play Resistance...)"

If I didn't have my work game group I think I'd go crazy. So my local group:

- Doesn't like any dice in board games
- Doesn't like long games
- Prefers co-op over competitive (This isn't bad, but when it means only the same 5 games get played over and over...)
- On top of that, cheats the rules just to make sure they don't lose in co-op games ("Oh well we actually rolled a 6")
- Doesn't like losing in games

But I guess it's not the end of the world. That's the advantages of having a couple game groups, at least.

I'm very open to just playing games everyone wants to play, so it's cool that a lot of the competitive ones never get touched. I don't demand "hey we have to play Archipelago and LIKE IT" (and to be fair another one in the group plays all the games and systems I like, but that limits us to only playing 2 player at times) but when like 90% of really cool games are cut off by one group, feels less likely I want to play with them as much and play with the other group instead.

Anyone else ever have experiences like that?

Also to end on a positive note, playing 6 player Cash N Guns at work is a blast.

Mumei

I would recommend the base game with The River from Z-Man Games, this one here (which seems to have risen in price a little bit).
After that, the two most agreed-upon expansions that add a lot without overcomplicating the game are the first two expansions, "Inns and Cathedrals" and "Traders and Builders." Some of the rest do complicate things quite a bit and others just aren't any fun. But people in here would probably have opinions on individual expansions if you decided one sounded interesting.
If you buy any, make sure to buy the editions from the same publisher. So if you bought the Rio Grande base game, buy the Rio Grande expansions and the same for if you buy Z-Man. Then the backs of the tiles won't be drastically different when combined between expansions and base game.

Then I suppose I'll wait for 2.0, since it comes with The River, and then pick up those two expansions you mentioned.

zulux21

Friends don't let friends recommend Red Dragon Inn. And Munchkin's not a great idea either - it'll likely end up in really long games with too much 'take that' & lack of control for players.

There's been a bunch of great ideas from Astrload, platy, arkador, & bombermouse. Just don't buy Red Dragon Inn/Munchkin/Ninja Burger/Chez Geek to introduce to your family :( Those games may have humourous moments in them, but the downtime & randomness kills the value of them & have strong potential for turning your family against modern games, especially if you end up playing them more than once quickly.

munchkin will likely end up long, but that is why you stop playing munchkin after a few games and move onto better games. (I personally won't play munchkin with more than 4 players anymore, but when you play with a bunch of people who don't know how to optimize their chances of winning it's perfectly fine it is when you have everyone saving up their cards for the end game where the game breaks.) ninja burger and chez geek almost never run long as unlike munchkin there just isn't enough control in them to stall out the end game. They are fun games that take 30-45 minutes and ones I come back to every few months.

As for red dragon in it can go on for a bit, but even after 20 plus times of playing it my group still enjoys it until the end.

you seem to hate random, that is fine, but some people find random enjoyable. I know I do and my family does. I find dominion to be a horrible chore to play, while I find ascension to be quite enjoyable. Heck if I only played the lists most of you guys listed I likely wouldn't own many board games. I don't know if I actually own any euro games (not because I hate them (I don't worship them like most board game fans seem to though) but because my friends have them and I don't find them worth owning myself as my family would never ever play them as they would be far to boring for them)

but alas to each their own. For example I wouldn't really recommend ticket to ride because it's a rather boring game. I only find it enjoyable on the PC because I can complete the game in 10-15 minutes a much better time then the 30-45 that the board game typically takes.

"We like the game (Tragedy Looper) but there's too much thinking involved... so in the off chance we ever play again we'll only play if we can write down notes (same reason we don't play Resistance...)"

If I didn't have my work game group I think I'd go crazy. So my local group:

- Doesn't like any dice in board games
- Doesn't like long games
- Prefers co-op over competitive (This isn't bad, but when it means only the same 5 games get played over and over...)
- On top of that, cheats the rules just to make sure they don't lose in co-op games ("Oh well we actually rolled a 6")
- Doesn't like losing in games

But I guess it's not the end of the world. That's the advantages of having a couple game groups, at least.

I'm very open to just playing games everyone wants to play, so it's cool that a lot of the competitive ones never get touched. I don't demand "hey we have to play Archipelago and LIKE IT" (and to be fair another one in the group plays all the games and systems I like, but that limits us to only playing 2 player at times) but when like 90% of really cool games are cut off by one group, feels less likely I want to play with them as much and play with the other group instead.

Anyone else ever have experiences like that?

Also to end on a positive note, playing 6 player Cash N Guns at work is a blast.

my wife in general hates playing competitive games because I usually win... thus a lot of our more expensive games are co op games. Red dragon inn is one of the only competitive games that she actually enjoys playing against me. we dont cheat on co op games though... well not often. Sometimes bad luck can ruin a game early on so we tweak it so we don't have to reset up a game... but in general if we feel the game is to hard we just alter the base rules to aim for around a 75% win chance as we did with ghost stories.

EYEL1NER

Then I suppose I'll wait for 2.0, since it comes with The River, and then pick up those two expansions you mentioned.
I was going to say that I could see the 2.0 edition having different tile backs as well, allowing them to sell everyone new versions of the same expansions. I then went back to that post that talked about it, went to the link, and saw that they dispelled that worry and the backs will be compatible. So good on them I guess.

Mista Koo

Edit: Koo, since the out of print Thebes is on your list, I'm going to say nix it and go for the superior card game version Thebes: The Tomb Raiders. Good shit.
The thing is I really don't want anymore 30 min games because I have a lot of those. I want games that can be the "main course."
That list is just "games I found so far," I'm open to any recommendation that fits the criteria.

We played Bang! the Dice Game on Thursday. I really didn't like it. I had the same issues with it that I do with Love Letter. Where is my game? The only good thing about either game is they're quick. But that's not good enough. Neither let you really have any control on what you're doing and if you win or lose, it's not really by your own hand. Not a fan.

Normal Bang! is much preferred but even that has it's own issues.

We played Bang! the Dice Game on Thursday. I really didn't like it. I had the same issues with it that I do with Love Letter. Where is my game? The only good thing about either game is they're quick. But that's not good enough. Neither let you really have any control on what you're doing and if you win or lose, it's not really by your own hand. Not a fan.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried Halo Bang! yet? Is it any different than the base game or just a reskin?

Faiz

The current edition of the main game also comes with the River. 2.0 comes with the mini expansion "The Abbot" which I don't think there's any real information on yet.

Base game plays up to 5, Inns and Cathedrals adds bits for a 6th player.

[*]Survive: Escape from Atlantis (is it too light?)

As far as your criteria are concerned, this is the best game on your list IMO. I think this is the single best introduction board game I have ever played. It's great for kids and adults alike. You can play some easier games with kids, but an all adult game will really test your strategy and skills. My wife and I play against each other in 2 player games too.

You do not roll dice to move. There is a custom, imprinted 6 sided dice included that you roll to see which creature you move. There is not a single word on anything related to the game. Each turn is 4 really fast and easily remembered steps. The game lasts 45ish minutes.

After you play the base game, the expansions for dolphins and squids are a must. Each one adds another layer to an already amazing game.

Lighthearted? The game can be goddamn ruthless .

Mikhal

Have you guys tried Shadow Hunters? Our group loves that game. I've never played the Bang! games though so I can't compare.

Have you guys tried Shadow Hunters? Our group loves that game. I've never played the Bang! games though so I can't compare.

Haven't heard of it before. After a quick google, it looks reasonable. My group definitely like those types of games. I'll watch some reviews on it.

A kind Winnipeg, Manitoba board gamer has graciously allowed my to piggyback his Kickstarter pledge for Shadows of Brimstone. Really loving the western themed dungeon crawl concept mixed with horrors from other dimensions. I wish I had backed initially, but I'm super excited to be getting in on a great deal.

My old group in LA played a lot of that game. I thought I was so-so. Since there isn't much information at the beginning of the game it turns into a blood bath. I do like how there are multiple factions. It makes it harder to pin down who's who.

But if I were to play a game like that I'd just go for Bang! or Bang! the Dice Game. I like the western theme and I find it a bit easier to play.

emag

I want to put in a game order at the end of the month, but I'm undecided between a few options:

1. Blood Bowl Team Manager or Doomtown: Reloaded (want a four player non-coop card-based game, but don't care for deckbuilding; a 4P Blue Moon would be amazing)

2. Concordia or Hyberborea or Five Tribes (looking for a new or new-ish medium weight gamer's game with legs; Five Tribes may be too abstract, Concordia may be too light/derivative (although we all enjoy Mac Gerdts' games), Hyberborea isn't out yet and appears to need errata regardless)

Maybe Imperial Settlers instead of either of those two groups? But I really dislike the artwork and the take-that element of a few of the buildings is troubling.

3. Tragedy Looper or Dead of Winter (adding another thematic game with deduction elements; Tragedy Looper's artwork is going to hurt its chances with my main group and Dead of Winter appears to have the stay-in-character-instead-of-playing-to-win aspect that I don't care for; also these games might step on the feet of Fury of Dracula and Battlestar Galactica, respectfully).

I find Shadow Hunters to be in some ways better than Bang!, but while it adds complexity and some more choice, it still suffers from the flaws that go with Bang! (and other loosely structured social deduction games).

I'd much rather play something like The Resistance/Avalon or One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which are much more focused, or Battlestar Galactica, which is significantly more meaty and well-structured.

Neverfade

I can't live with myself if I don't pick Blood Bowl: TM from those two.

Haven't played Five Tribes or Hyperborea yet, but Concordia is the real deal. The mathy endgame scoring might turn some off, but the rest of the game is too good to skip.

You'll find nothing but fans of Blood Bowl Team Manager in this thread.

Instead of Imperial Settlers have you looked into 51st State: The New Era? Imperial Settlers is a sort of a refinement of the 51st State system. I prefer New Era to the original 51st State. Just a warning, the rulebook is straight hot garbage. I actually didn't really "get" the rules until after my third game and only because I read through this rewrite of the rules.

The New Era might be out of print so if you want it and see it for a good price, pick it up. 51st State, however, is currently being sold in the BGG geekstore for only $15.

Draxal

I want to put in a game order at the end of the month, but I'm undecided between a few options:

1. Blood Bowl Team Manager or Doomtown: Reloaded (want a four player non-coop card-based game, but don't care for deckbuilding; a 4P Blue Moon would be amazing)

I'm a huge doomtown fan, and I have never played bbtm.

But for what you're wanting, BBTM fits it to a T, while Doomtown would need at least two sets for multiplayer like that and deckbuilding is a good part of the game.

EYEL1NER

I've been on eBay for the last half hour looking at auctions for the Marvel Overpower card game from the '90s. I am really tempted to buy a couple of the decks, even though I highly doubt my main coworker I game with would play it with me. I remember having a pack or two worth of the cards as a kid, back when I was super-into comics. I loved the art on them.
I think I am gonna buy some.

fenners

You'll find nothing but fans of Blood Bowl Team Manager in this thread.

Instead of Imperial Settlers have you looked into 51st State: The New Era? Imperial Settlers is a sort of a refinement of the 51st State system. I prefer New Era to the original 51st State. Just a warning, the rulebook is straight hot garbage. I actually didn't really "get" the rules until after my third game and only because I read through this rewrite of the rules.

The New Era might be out of print so if you want it and see it for a good price, pick it up. 51st State, however, is currently being sold in the BGG geekstore for only $15.

Preface - I'm a huge Race For The Galaxy fan - I don't mind icons, I don't mind confusing turns/actions in a game. 51st State has horrible iconography & action sequencing that is really had to figure out with a ton of experience or a good guide player - there's a reason the publisher decided to dump the game at this point. Imperial Settlers (which I own) takes the basic process & iconography of 51st State & revamps it completely to be more readable & understandable, and removes a ton of confusion from the basic process of "how do I use this card?".

They're not the same games though, Imperial Settlers has a fixed length of three eras (an era is finished when ever player passes) & splits cards up into ones that can be attacked by other players & ones that can't, and has three 'types' of cards etc. It's an easier game to teach, but 51st State has elements of engines & theme that Imperial Settlers doesn't match.

I think Imperial Settlers is the most thought-out & easier to explain game of the two by far, and is a better purchase, even at the higher price....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How is Doomtown? How does it compare to Netrunner? Was kind of thinking of trying it out but LCGs are so all-in/all-out kinds of affairs. Dig the art and the theme (but then again I can say the same for Netrunner).

Draxal

How is Doomtown? How does it compare to Netrunner? Was kind of thinking of trying it out but LCGs are so all-in/all-out kinds of affairs. Dig the art and the theme (but then again I can say the same for Netrunner).

I think Netrunner is a very unique beast in the ccg/lcg world, so I'm loathe to compare games against it.

Big difference is that all players are symmetrical in Doomtown, there's no runner/corp split in cards. So you don't get that cat/mouse feel like you do in Netrunner. However, since you're designing your deck for two purposes in Doomtown, the normal card itself, and their poker values of cards to win in shootouts adds a different dimension to deckbuilding. As you are cycling through this deck a ton more in doomtown as you will draw from your deck all the time to play mini hands of poker. The war between control over locations for their control and production values is similar to making runs on different servers in Netrunner.

There's a lets play video that shows you the demo game that is included with the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKGtuRUxegE

Article by the same guys comparing the four factions of Doomtown compared to the four corp factions of Netrunner.

http://www.gomorragazette.com/editorial/an-overview-of-doomtown-reloadeds-four-base-decks/

I do think the game is pretty complete with owning one set (two sets will give you four of every card). I'm not sure if you really need to go further into future saddlebags/data packs.

Draxal

Thanks -- it's 2p focused right? Like you can play with more but that's not really the intent.

Yeah, you can play with more players, but it tends to lead into dogpiling which is a turnoff to many.

Although it's not officially supported, you can easily house rule it into 2 v 2 game (just make the influence/control shared amongst the team)

You can make all four of the decks in the intro guide at the same time, so one box set will suffice for a four player game if you want (although the circus faction imho is particularly weak with just one box).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, you can play with more players, but it tends to lead into dogpiling which is a turnoff to many.

Although it's not officially supported, you can easily house rule it into 2 v 2 game (just make the influence/control shared amongst the team)

You can make all four of the decks in the intro guide at the same time, so one box set will suffice for a four player game if you want (although the circus faction imho is particularly weak with just one box).

Thanks -- one last thing: Are they re-releasing that premium box? Seems like supply is limited for all boxes so I might just wait on that anyway.

Had a Twilight Imperium day yesterday with four friends who had never played before. It was my third time playing so I was a little nervous about going through the rules and making sure everyone had things down pat. Overall it went a lot better then expected, We got rolling around noon and finished at around 7.

At the start everyone was pretty considered about building the largest army they could muster, assuming the game would just be a lot of space battling, but the first shot wasn't even fired until a couple hours into the game, giving everyone a chance to explore all the other aspects of the game, so it really was a great introduction. A couple players quickly grasped that everything you do should be in pursuit of a victory point, while others were kind of aimless, so lines were drawn pretty quickly on who could stay competitive. The good news is that didn't discourage anyone,and everyone had a good time regardless. God I love this game.

EYEL1NER

In my excitement for Space Hulk arriving tomorrow, I drove an hour into the city to buy what seems to be the last issue of White Dwarf 33 (with the bonus mission for SH) in the area. The actual GW store a couple days ago was advertising on FB that they only had a few left, but that was a couple days ago, the new week's issue is already out, and they wouldn't answer their phone at all yesterday.

I also picked up the SH: Death Angel card game, which I will take back to Greenland with me in a couple weeks. I impulse bought that, though I had been wanting it for a while. I was in a different game store and thought that I wouldn't buy it since I could get it for a couple bucks cheaper online. I like to buy at least something at any FLGS that I go to. I may be thrifty and a deal-hunter, but if get why they can't sell things as cheap as online retailers and like to kick a little bit to them now and then (though I don't play MtG or any other CCGs really, so my money probably doesn't matter that much to them). That was the only thing in the store that I even kinda wanted, so I got it.

The first store I went to had Doomtown and I almost bought that because of the hype but I have enough unplaced and unpunched games at the moment.

A video game store that just opened in town in closed Sundays but lets people in to play games. One of the guys that works there and I started chatting when I went in today to check the store out and they run anime on a TV all day and play games for 6 hours. Apparently they play X-Wing, which is a bit upsetting to me since all my ships are in my dorm room in Greenland. The guy I talked to likes Descent though and two regulars apparently have been wanting to play it. I just got Descent 2E and an expansion in today, so I may go this Sunday or next and try to get a game or two of it going.

joelseph

Picked up my 3rd edition reprint (is that what we are calling this version?) of Space Hulk this weekend. Going to sell it to a good friend for MSRP. Reminded me that nothing is more nerve wracking then having to glue together plastic mini pieces for a game that is over 100 dollars.

EYEL1NER

Picked up my 3rd edition reprint (is that what we are calling this version?) of Space Hulk this weekend. Going to sell it to a good friend for MSRP. Reminded me that nothing is more nerve wracking then having to glue together plastic mini pieces for a game that is over 100 dollars.
The manual or insert or something calls it "fourth edition," according to someone on BGG. It has it's own page on their now as well, rather than just being a different version listed on the 3E page.
I thought I read that the minis snap together. They require glue?
My $116 copy from The War Store is supposed to be here tomorrow but since Saturday it has only made it from NY to NJ to MD. So I am not really expecting it I guess.

The minis sort of snap together, some parts dont stick together as good as others. But really you just put a tiny dab of crazy glue and snap em together, done. They are super simple minis to put together

Hey guys.

If you'e a fan of this:

escape-from-the-temple-curse-13648-p.jpg

AND this:

spelunker-hd.jpg

Then you just gotta try the custom soundtrack I whipped up:

ESCAPE - Spelunker HD Mix - Custom Soundtrack

Hope ya like it!

emag

Thanks for the advice, all.

I ordered Blood Bowl Team Manager and Concordia per the recommendations, as well as a bunch of short/light games: Age of War (Risk Express), Hey! That's My Fish (haven't played in 5+ years), One Night Ultimate Werewolf (which won me over recently), and Sushi Go (a lighter-than-7-Wonders drafting game), as well as the Crisis expansion pack for the DC Comics Deckbuilding Game (which my spouse and I enjoy playing together).

joelseph

The minis sort of snap together, some parts dont stick together as good as others. But really you just put a tiny dab of crazy glue and snap em together, done. They are super simple minis to put together

A good pair of clippers ( like the privateer press P3 Clippers), small plastic file and bottle of plastic super glue is what I used.

Xater

Gt the German edition of Cosmic Encounter yesterday and was so happy. The I had to learn that they were still able to implement mistakes that were fixed in 2011 in the English edition. Ugh....

Top Bottom