• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I missed an opportunity to snag lost valley on sale at CSI. I hate that I can't never put a complete order because something I want is always OOS. Then when it comes back, something else is OOS. It's a vicious cycle!

Neverfade

Cypher, Lost Legacy 2, and definitely Sheriff of Nottingham are all pretty great.

Five Tribes is decent. I'll need another play before I can decide if I really enjoy it or not.

Rubius

Played ATS with a few people and they all loved it. On the fence on if I should buy an expansion and/or make my own, smaller box.

Also, SO jealous of your XIA copy. I don't think the US' has even arrived at the distribution center. :(

I actually did my first foam core box yesterday for among the stars because the bags for it are horrible and I was not smart enough or knowledgeable enough to get the tuck boxes.
My foam core box is horrible looking with clue stains everywhere, but it works at least.

VFsNwMt.jpg

The expansions really add a lot to the game. The Ambassador add a new way to get specific colors and pretty big powers.
Expending the Alliance really add new weird powers and cards too. I would recommend them both.

EYEL1NER

Cypher, Lost Legacy 2, and definitely Sheriff of Nottingham are all pretty great.

Five Tribes is decent. I'll need another play before I can decide if I really enjoy it or not.
I knew that you liked Lost Legacy, so you saying that Cypher is good makes me happy. After asking ITT about it, I ended up buying it yesterday when I placed my order for the CSI sale. Next week when I get back to Greenland I am on night shift and the guys I game with are back on nights, so between both Lost Legacy games, Cypher, and the Smash up Geek and Halloween factions, it is going to be quite the AEG-fest.

Chorazin

I knew that you liked Lost Legacy, so you saying that Cypher is good makes me happy. After asking ITT about it, I ended up buying it yesterday when I placed my order for the CSI sale. Next week when I get back to Greenland I am on night shift and the guys I game with are back on nights, so between both Lost Legacy games, Cypher, and the Smash up Geek and Halloween factions, it is going to be quite the AEG-fest.

Lost Legcy 2 is great, it plays incredibly fast all by itself. Looking forward to combining the decks and see how it plays out.

Experien

I actually did my first foam core box yesterday for among the stars because the bags for it are horrible and I was not smart enough or knowledgeable enough to get the tuck boxes.
My foam core box is horrible looking with clue stains everywhere, but it works at least.

The expansions really add a lot to the game. The Ambassador add a new way to get specific colors and pretty big powers.
Expending the Alliance really add new weird powers and cards too. I would recommend them both.

I do have some extra foam core and that does look positively better...hmmm...

I need to get back on the foam core train. I was all-in until I finished up the Eclipse box. OMG, that was difficult. Everything should be cakewalk compared to it, but haven't gotten the motivation until now.

Xater

Really looking forward to the Dice Tower Essen preview on Saturday. Maybe I can learn about some stuff I might have missed.

Stooge you being in Essen this year?

Rubius

I would suggest to look at plans, or simply do what I was supposed to do. Do a slice in the middle and then slices that go through to the middle to create the pockets for the cards. Maybe add piece of foam core in the bottom so that grabbing the cards is easier. I tried to make something too fancy and got burned ahah.

boraaa

Neo Member
going to bring dc deckbuilding game to my meetup on sunday, can't wait to get it going

still waiting on csi to restock on caylus and king of tokyo power up. nonetheless, too many games to put on the table til then :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
going to bring dc deckbuilding game to my meetup on sunday, can't wait to get it going

still waiting on csi to restock on caylus and king of tokyo power up. nonetheless, too many games to put on the table til then :)

Don't forget King of New York is coming out soon. I wonder how much it will obsolete KoT. (Obviously both can coexist, but I just mean if you own both will you still have good reasons to play KoT?)

Draxal

Don't forget King of New York is coming out soon. I wonder how much it will obsolete KoT. (Obviously both can coexist, but I just mean if you own both will you still have good reasons to play KoT?)

KoT is a much better gateway while KoNY is much more meatier.

KoNY was supposed to be released today at NY comicon, but they had a fire at their warehouse.

EYEL1NER

Machi Koro in hand.

Better be dope.
Nice. I see that the CSI page has changed from pre-order to in-stock and has been updated to reflect that it comes with 5 of the Gaming Mega Store promo. Mow if only King of New York had come out my order would have been shipped and I could be taking those both outside the country with me on Wednesday. I almost cancelled those two games but then thought that if I get another vacation in December and am back, those two might be hard to find with people buying them up for Christmas gifts. So I ended up adding Battle at Kemble's Cascade onto the order so they will ship next month I guess.

EYEL1NER

I think I am going to get Yggdrasil today. A local store has 3 copies for $50-something. I waited 6 months or something to try to get a copy below the $40 that it was selling for on Amazon and it has shot up in price a bit. A rep said on BGG that what stock there is out there is what is left and they have no plans to reprint it for the foreseeable future but they might do something with the brand/name in a few years. So if I don't pick one up now, it is only going to get harder to find.

Also thinking about getting some MDM starters, provided a local store still has them. A store has had three for weeks and I had thought about buying them and selling them at cost since people still can't get a hold of the. But now UXM is out, so I am starting to feel greedy, like selling them at a premium would pay for an UXM starter. I really don't want to gouge anyone though, so I may not get them. The urge to open a BGG auction with a starting bid of $15 and a Buy It Now of $35 would be too strong.

Finally got around to play Zombicide last night, let just say, my kids and niece agree if there was a zombie apocalypse they would leave me behind instead of follow my lead. (I suggest that they came back to clear off zombie instead of ran and hide in the building needless to say, a sewer spawn and then double activation prove that they should have listen to my daughter who suggest that they ran and regroup in the building) Ironically I was the lone survivor so they pretty much felt that I used them as meat shield. We probably will give it another go later today since my in-law are visiting.

6tyW07cl.jpg

daevv

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/news-10142014-magic-the-gathering-strategy-board-game-announced/

Magic the Gathering Strategy game announcement announced. Could potentially be really cool, there are some neat mechanics they could incorporate into a boardgame.

Sounds interesting. I just hope it does not rely to much on the iPad pictured for most of the game. I like my board games to be contained within the box. Looking forward to hearing more this week.

Edit: Drunk bought a copy of The City and The Reaper expansions for Talisman last night while at a wedding. Checked my phone for the time and saw I had a "in stock" email from The Book Depository so I immediately bought them. :)

Lyng

Pros and cons for BattleCon: Devastation of Indines and Yomi.
I want a fighting game but cannot decide which one to get

EYEL1NER

Pros and cons for BattleCon: Devastation of Indines and Yomi.
I want a fighting game but cannot decide which one to get
I've been trying to find a good BattleCon vs Yomi thread on BGG to link you to, but most threads are either full of BC fanboys shitting on Yomi or Yomi fanboys shitting on BC.
I haven't played either, outside of a couple very confusing games on the horrible BattleCon app. I backed the recent Yomi Kickstarter for all 20 decks and the BattleCon: War Revised Kickstarter for War/Devastation/expansions. The timeline for all of that is December, so that will be a big month for me. I love fighting games, so I can't wait.

There are some people ITT that have played them. I imagine they will recommend that you try the online or free PnP versions before committing, which is actually advice I commonly see regarding both games. Probably not a bad idea I suppose, but if had more money than sense when the Kickstarters were running.

So I played R last night. My copy from the BGG store was delivered yesterday. I really liked it and definitely think the "Love Letter but better for two people" comparison is apt. There is a lot more reading your opponent it felt like. I did run I to the problem where my wife kept throwing out the Spy on the first round or second round over and over again, so I would play the Minister Clown for the next hand and then the following round would usually guarantee the winner. It can wind up with three or four hands on hold right off the bat. Makes that last round pretty tense though. My wife actually prefers 2P Love Letter though she said, which surprised me. But like I said before, we are some or the weirdos who don't have a problem with 2P Love Letter. I can't wait to get some more games Ina and think that, even though I dislike the cartoony art, I will go pick up a copy of a BraveRats today.

I may need to sneak out this weekend and get Warhammer: Conquest. I'm just too drawn to it.

Is it available? I have it on pre-order but now I am not sure if I want another 2 players game. (No one to play against beside my son).

edit: I see the game is available on Amazon.

So there's a new card, comic shop open up nearby so we went to check it out. Pick up Coup (since you guys here seems to rave about it) and wow, this is one fun game for surprisingly really simple set up. We have a blast and people keep wanting to play it. My daughter is disturbingly good at this game and calling people out yet at the same time make everyone think she is bluffing. My poor son doesn't stand a chance as the poor kid can't lie to save his own skin.

What's the best pen & paper role-playing game for starters? I am more a sci-fi guy, so I wanted to get into that direction, but I am fine if it's fantasy like Lord Of The Rings style.

What's the best pen & paper role-playing game for starters? I am more a sci-fi guy, so I wanted to get into that direction, but I am fine if it's fantasy like Lord Of The Rings style.

I think the new Star Wars rpg is great for beginners but the GM should have some experience with that system at least. It's more of a narrative based approach instead of number-crunching min-max affair, which I find awesome. It gives you way more flexibility for story-telling/adventuring but you will be held back by people who can't think creatively or refuse to. It's definitely a system that you can work absolute beginners into very easily...and it's probably not too hard to have a fun time with it if everyone is a beginner.

I think the new Star Wars rpg is great for beginners but the GM should have some experience with that system at least. It's more of a narrative based approach instead of number-crunching min-max affair, which I find awesome. It gives you way more flexibility for story-telling/adventuring but you will be held back by people who can't think creatively or refuse to. It's definitely a system that you can work absolute beginners into very easily...and it's probably not too hard to have a fun time with it if everyone is a beginner.
Yes. I was thinking about that. I will take a look if I can get it at SPIEL.

Lyng

I've been trying to find a good BattleCon vs Yomi thread on BGG to link you to, but most threads are either full of BC fanboys shitting on Yomi or Yomi fanboys shitting on BC.
I haven't played either, outside of a couple very confusing games on the horrible BattleCon app. I backed the recent Yomi Kickstarter for all 20 decks and the BattleCon: War Revised Kickstarter for War/Devastation/expansions. The timeline for all of that is December, so that will be a big month for me. I love fighting games, so I can't wait.

There are some people ITT that have played them. I imagine they will recommend that you try the online or free PnP versions before committing, which is actually advise I commonly see regarding both games. Probably not a bad idea I suppose, but if had more money than sense when the Kickstarters were running.

Yeah I checked BGG before posting here, but those threads where a vile fanboy crapfest.
But decided to run with your idea and tried the online versio of Yomi and the ios app of Battlecon.
I decided to buy Battlecon. But will wait for the new version that comes early next year.

Yes. I was thinking about that. I will take a look if I can get it at SPIEL.

the starter boxes are a good way to ease into learning about how it all works, it kinda sets the whole game up for you and the characters, but it helps learn how it all comes together before players do their own thing.

Mista Koo

Played Power Grid this past weekend, I enjoyed it. I saw people play it a lot but it looked intimidating and hard. Turns out it's much lighter than a few games I've already played.
What I didn't like is that the winning condition depends on the power plants you powered at the last round. The player in fourth place bought all the coal just to spite me and thus I ended up in last place, otherwise I could've easily been the runner-up.

We also played a few games of Splendor. It took me two games to start figuring out strategies and such, but it was awesome. I lost a game because of two unnecessary moves at the start.

Xater

I think I want to get Power Grid Deluxe after all but I just can't just justify having two versions of the same game around. I am right now debating if I should sell off my PG stuff, get the Deluxe and hope for expansions for the new version.

I think I want to get Power Grid Deluxe after all but I just can't just justify having two versions of the same game around. I am right now debating if I should sell off my PG stuff, get the Deluxe and hope for expansions for the new version.

PW is one of those game I'd love to play but I mostly play 2p so it's a no go for me.

Supposedly the new deluxe version has a super good 2p variant.

EYEL1NER

So out of everything I have bought over the past month or had waiting for me here in the country, I finally have my list of stuff to take back to Greenland on Wednesday. Assuming it fits in my duffle bag of course, I do have a good chunk of clothes to take. Anything bigger than a FFG Silver Line box wasn't going to make the cut, so some good games are getting left behind. Really wish Space Hulk could go, since I didn't even assemble my minis (got as far as buying some Priv Press clippers and then got hung up on which glue or epoxy I wanted). Also wish I could have bought the War of the Ring that a store in VA Beach had last week. War of the Ring 2E, Lords of Middle Earth expansion, and Battles of the Third Age... I was a fool to pass that up but I couldn't take it back in my luggage. Should have bought it and kept it in my apartment, even though it would probably never get played.

Anyway, here is the list. A lot of good but big games are unfortunately being left behind.
Rune Age plus the expansion
Cypher
R
Lost Legacy Starship and Gardens
Sushi Go
Coup and Reformation
2 MtG Khans of Tarkir Intro Decks
Another Star Realms deck and the Gambit promos
Bang the dice game
Legend of the Three Kingdoms
Gloom
Almost 20 Marvel Dice Masters AvX boosters and the official AvX playmat
The Starfire oversized hero card for DC Deckbuilding game
Space Hulk Death Angel
D-Day Dice with Normandy and Operation Neptune expansion battle maps
4 Marvel Overpower decks

All in all it is a lot of small games and a lot of filler. But I have a ton of heavy games that are still unplayed up there, so more filler isn't bad. I mean, I guess I don't need to take Horus Heresy when I have Ikusa waiting up there, or I can leave Gears of War since Earth Reborn still hasn't been played.
There are a couple other things I really want to take, like Revolver and all 5 expansions, or Shinobi Clans. But maybe next vacation... I might pick up another Khans of Tarkir intro deck too, or maybe a 2015 deck. I am a MtG newb and am not looking to get too heavy into it, but a coworker has three intro decks from 2014 and a couple thousand cards he has bought, and another coworker just bought a 2015 fat pack, so I would like to have a couple decks for casual play. Not looking to get deep into constructing decks or anything. I think another Khans intro would be good though, three total.

Well, according to CSI, my pre-order for Machi Koro shipped on the 10th.

But, the FedEx tracking number says that it hasn't been picked up yet.

Well, that's not cool. :(

EDIT: Now, delivery date is the 20th. That's over a week in transit.

Does CSI always take this long to ship, even with shipping charges?

Dreavus

BattleCON is the first game that's giving me reservations about my set up and take down time, despite being a comparatively quick play. I don't mind when a 3~ hour game of, say, Runewars takes a bit of time to set up, but the amount of time I spend rummaging through the box to set up 2 characters with all their tokens/markers and fight my friend is painful. This is absolutely not a comment on the quality of the game as I love actually playing it to bits.

I think I've posted this before, but I have all characters down one side of the box, all other stuff down the other, and plastic bags for the markers and things jammed in the middle (organized by flight). This seemed awesome for the first few times, but after attempting to set up a few 4 player games lately it has gotten under my skin a little bit. Anyone doing something different?

I saw someone post PDF designs for some paper tuck boxes on bgg for each of the 30 characters and I am considering trying that out, printing costs and lid-fitting-on-the-box be damned.

Lyng

BattleCON is the first game that's giving me reservations about my set up and take down time, despite being a comparatively quick play. I don't mind when a 3~ hour game of, say, Runewars takes a bit of time to set up, but the amount of time I spend rummaging through the box to set up 2 characters with all their tokens/markers and fight my friend is painful. This is absolutely not a comment on the quality of the game as I love actually playing it to bits.

I think I've posted this before, but I have all characters down one side of the box, all other stuff down the other, and plastic bags for the markers and things jammed in the middle (organized by flight). This seemed awesome for the first few times, but after attempting to set up a few 4 player games lately it has gotten under my skin a little bit. Anyone doing something different?

I saw someone post PDF designs for some paper tuck boxes on bgg for each of the 30 characters and I am considering trying that out, printing costs and lid-fitting-on-the-box be damned.

I have the same issue with Blue Moon Legends. Then again its a FFG box so should be no surprise.
I wish every card game came in the same way as Sentinels Enhanced or Yomi Deluxe.

Dreavus

I have the same issue with Blue Moon Legends. Then again its a FFG box so should be no surprise.
I wish every card game came in the same way as Sentinels Enhanced or Yomi Deluxe.

The insert for battlecon just flat out doesn't fit anything even if it wanted to, considering it came with a bunch of extra punch outs (outside the box) and I sleeved everything like a maniac. I don't fault the insert on this one, it's just the sheer volume of stuff in there. I think the nature of the game just means every character has different tokens and markers and bits and it's like some kind of nightmare trying to keep it sorted.

Characters having their own little deck box is awesome in Yomi, part of why I want to try out making individual boxes for this game too

Lyng

The insert for battlecon just flat out doesn't fit anything even if it wanted to, considering it came with a bunch of extra punch outs (outside the box) and I sleeved everything like a maniac. I don't fault the insert on this one, it's just the sheer volume of stuff in there. I think the nature of the game just means every character has different tokens and markers and bits and it's like some kind of nightmare trying to keep it sorted.

Characters having their own little deck box is awesome in Yomi, part of why I want to try out making individual boxes for this game too

Did it fit well without the sleeves?

EYEL1NER

It's too bad that the War Remastered Kickstarter didn't hit its final stretch goal, because the collector's edition box sounds like what you want:
$300k - Collector's Edition Box - This is another one that people have been asking for! With this goal, we'll print a giant BattleCON box, complete with small tuckboxes for each of the ~60 fighters in BattleCON, so that you can organize your collection into one awesome place. There will also be space for all of the variants, arenas, and extras we love :D
I wish I could have at least seen some pics of it and seen how much it would have cost, because it sounds cool.
I'm glad that the new Yomi box has tuck boxes and that sweet "character select screen" thing going for it.

Dreavus

It's too bad that the War Remastered Kickstarter didn't hit its final stretch goal, because the collector's edition box sounds like what you want:
I wish I could have at least seen some pics of it and seen how much it would have cost, because it sounds cool.
I'm glad that the new Yomi box has tuck boxes and that sweet "character select screen" thing going for it.

Goddamnit that box sounds like exactly what I need. I wonder if they'll ever develop something like that. Maybe if there's a third game down the line? (the thing would be a goddamn backpack at that point though.)

The BGG thread for the storage I'm looking at is here. The fellow said he wants to mock up something similar for War Remastered too. The whole thing looks pleasingly functional compared to my situation atm.

Did it fit well without the sleeves?

I have already ditched the insert so unfortunately I can't go back and check, but it is what it shipped in so I would imagine it'd fit the cards unsleeved decently. But IIRC it was all for functional shipping and nothing close to fancy like Lords of Waterdeep or even Dominion (basically slots for stacks of cards with few attempts to give any kind of organization). It would be my personal hell trying to fish out specific characters and tokens from naked stacks of cards like that. I think it was produced with the understanding that it would be removed once everything was opened up.

The further issue comes from the fact that the game came with "extended edition" (which I think is being sold as an add on now) with a bunch of punch boards for a myriad of optional stand ups and stuff, all which would have to fit in there too, somehow. So the insert really had to go.

Lyng

Man that sounds perfect :(
Id much rather have a nice box and tuckboxes then different costumes...

ultron87

For my Battlecon box I ended up just buying a bunch of plastic baggies that could snuggly fit each fighter's stand, tokens and cards. I then put the stuff you need for the "normal" game in another bag and each variant in separate bags that I marked with a sharpie. It isn't a fancy tuckbox thing, but it is pretty easy to get what you need out of the box in short order.

Chorazin

Speaking of storage solutions, my awesome girlfriend made a custom foam-core insert for my copy of Dead of Winter! This is going to make setting it up so much easier next time I get it on the table.

Also got my copy of Abyss to the table last night, man that game is great. Super easy rules, lots of options and strategy, and it's gorgeous! Played with three players, looking forward to playing with four soon.

Rubius

Speaking of storage solutions, my awesome girlfriend made a custom foam-core insert for my copy of Dead of Winter! This is going to make setting it up so much easier next time I get it on the table.

Very nice looking. I'm gonna try to do one for Lords of Waterdeep with a removable tray for the cubes. Same for Eldritch horror and Elder Sign.

Top Bottom