• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Xater

I don't feel the decisions are decisions at all. Place your building on the only terrain you can in the spot that's worth the most. That's it.

Yep, there at least half a dozen family games I'd pick over this which are way more interesting, are easy to learn and play in the same timeframe.

I have heard that Kingdom Builder gets better with the expansions but I am not willing to take that plunge just to find out for myself.

I don't feel the decisions are decisions at all. Place your building on the only terrain you can in the spot that's worth the most. That's it.

Early turns are much more about building options for your future turns (in terms of the connected settlements rule and the extra action abilities) than earning points. And even earning points should be taking more thought than that in most cases because you need to build towards future points as well as current points, and balance the needs of your various goals with the state of the board and the other players' plays.

Karkador

Banned
I enjoy Istanbul and Kingdom Builder. I should be hosting TableTop :p

edit:

and platypotamus is right. Kingdom Builder is about setting up future turns. but I think there's even a little more to it than that.

Said another way, it's like Kingdom Builder is a game about circumventing the rules. If you simply follow the instructions, draw the card and place 3 houses where it says to, you're playing on autopilot and will probably lose. Of course, if you do that, then this is going to seem like a very bland game, and I can totally understand how people will play it and come to that conclusion.

The actual fun of the game is in how you figure out ways to circumvent the game rules; being able to place more than 3 pieces (essentially going faster in the race), being able to place non-adjacent, being able to place somewhere the card doesn't say, and of course, being able to overcome the rules to place things the way the 3 score cards want you to. This is where the actual meat of the game is, and I think it becomes a pretty creative game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I tried it on the iPad and thought it was quite boring. Too simple.

The iPad version is REALLY bad. I actually think it would make a great iPad game if done by the Carcassonne guys for example. But yeah I don't love the mechanics. It's that rough combination of super simple but intensely brainburny. See also Hey That's My Fish, Chess.

Xater

To update the Imperial Assault situation. Yes it will be in Essen and in fact FFG has the released date moved forward to Q4 of this year. So having the game in Essen makes a lot more sense. Still gonna wait for the German version myself but I can't wait to see videos and stuff about it.

Played Legendary Encounters (Alien Deckbuilding Game) tonight and it was pretty awesome. We played the first movie (scenario and character cards just from the movie Alien) and it was pretty thematic. The objectives and character abilities were pretty true to the films, and for a deckbuilder, of all things, it has a pretty good survival horror feel.

Sorting it originally was such a loving pain, but I think it's well worth it if you happen to be a fan of the Aliens franchise and deckbuilders.

To update the Imperial Assault situation. Yes it will be in Essen and in fact FFG has the released date moved forward to Q4 of this year. So having the game in Essen makes a lot more sense. Still gonna wait for the German version myself but I can't wait to see videos and stuff about it.
Yes. I saw the post at their forum. I am unsure, if I am going to pick it up (or even going to the event) Priority will be King Of New York, but it will be sold at 36€ and a German retailer has it already for 9€ less as a pre-order...

Played Legendary Encounters (Alien Deckbuilding Game) tonight and it was pretty awesome. We played the first movie (scenario and character cards just from the movie Alien) and it was pretty thematic. The objectives and character abilities were pretty true to the films, and for a deckbuilder, of all things, it has a pretty good survival horror feel.

Sorting it originally was such a loving pain, but I think it's well worth it if you happen to be a fan of the Aliens franchise and deckbuilders.

I am thinking about picking this up but yeah the setting up for Legendary is always a big turn off for my kids.

Chorazin

Played Caverna last night, enjoyed that way more than I had expected. I figured it was going to be a real chore to play but the rules were pretty straight forward. It felt very relaxing, oddly.

I am thinking about picking this up but yeah the setting up for Legendary is always a big turn off for my kids.
After the initial sort the setup isn't too bad. I have mine organized by movie. If I want to play Aliens, for example, I just grab all the Aliens cards. You seperate out the decks and shuffle. Marvel Legendary's setup was always such a pain. A Randomizer helped, but going through the individual decks sucked.

Faiz

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/alexullman-news-10162014-more-magic-the-gathering-strategy-board-game-info-information/

New info on the Magic boardgame. No mention of iPad so it seems to be a standard boardgame. A planeswalker duels game with heroscape-like terrain could be fun, not out till fall 2015 so probably won't find out too much info anytime soon (even the name is just a placeholder for now)

I like the look of it so far, but I have some skepticism as well.

I like how they name-dropped Heroscape in there haha.

daevv

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/alexullman-news-10162014-more-magic-the-gathering-strategy-board-game-info-information/

New info on the Magic boardgame. No mention of iPad so it seems to be a standard boardgame. A planeswalker duels game with heroscape-like terrain could be fun, not out till fall 2015 so probably won't find out too much info anytime soon (even the name is just a placeholder for now)

I'm not sure what I expected or wanted but this was not it. Kinda meh.

After the initial sort the setup isn't too bad. I have mine organized by movie. If I want to play Aliens, for example, I just grab all the Aliens cards. You seperate out the decks and shuffle. Marvel Legendary's setup was always such a pain. A Randomizer helped, but going through the individual decks sucked.

Aliens seems a little worse on setup so far, so many tiny little decks to play with.

Did they officially announce Predator was coming to Legendary at any time? At Gencon I saw they had UDE banners for Predator at the booth, so assume that they will do a Predator version of Legendary that will probably be compatible with Aliens, but never heard anything official about that happening.

Experien

So I have to glue a bunch of of the figures together for Shadows of Brimstone, can anyone recommend a type of glue for the plastic pieces?

Mista Koo

So after our Istanbul talk yesterday, I did get to satisfy the craving and play it again.

THAT QUOTE DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL
It all comes down to the fact that it's his show and he plays the games he like. Why is this an issue? Because it won't promote the game??

Speaking of which I've been recently watching BGG's GameNight!, they've played Istanbul among other games and I have bought 2 or 3 games thanks to them.
They don't have TableTop's production values but they have nice cameras and show the games pretty well.

It all comes down to the fact that it's his show and he plays the games he like. Why is this an issue? Because it won't promote the game??

Speaking of which I've been recently watching BGG's GameNight!, they've played Istanbul among other games and I have bought 2 or 3 games thanks to them.
They don't have TableTop's production values but they have nice cameras and show the games pretty well.

That crowd doe. So lifeless.

I like tabletop, I like how they people weird random games. I assume some have to be paid promotion, like when they played tanto cuore.

Karkador

Banned

In case you missed it, we were talking about Five Tribes making the cut for TableTop while Istanbul didn't. The selection and the quote from Twitter just seems odd when Five Tribes is arguably a lot more complicated to play than Istanbul is.

Mista Koo

I've ordered Libertalia and Dixit. Couldn't find the insert score board Dixit but caved in and bought the ugly scoreboard one (more practical).

That crowd doe. So lifeless.

I like tabletop, I like how they people weird random games. I assume some have to be paid promotion, like when they played tanto cuore.
They're alright, but not the crowd I'd watch play a game I already know.

Wil wrote a blog on how they choose the games, but AFAIK nothing is paid for. Tanto Cuore wasn't played on the actual show.

In case you missed it, we were talking about Five Tribes making the cut for TableTop while Istanbul didn't. The selection and the quote from Twitter just seems odd when Five Tribes is arguably a lot more complicated to play than Istanbul is.
He loves the game:
Wil Wheaton said:
I’m most worried about how we’re going to make this game work, because it has a ton of meeples and the art on the game, while beautiful, may feel cluttered on camera. I love it so much, though, I am determined to make it work. I even had my editor come over yesterday to play it, so he could give us ideas on how we can best film it. Not that it matters, but this was my favorite game at GenCon this year, and is so far my favorite of 2014.

Neverfade

I have no stake in how well either game sells. Istanbul is a keeper and FT will likely hit the trade block no matter how successful either game performs.

I was just commenting on his asinine take on Istanbul on this discussion forum where we discuss things.

EYEL1NER

Just got back to Greenland to find Eldritch Horror waiting for me. Happy to get it, not so happy to find no dice or plastic stands inside but those are easily replaceable.
Also, fuck FFG inserts. I mean, I know people complain about them and I certainly don't like the inserts in some of my games like Rune Age, Elder Sign, and Blood Bowl TM. My Arkham Horror plastic insert isn't the best insert ever but it holds everything well-enough. I guess my copy of Arkham Horror is more than a couple years older than some of the newer games I own from them. I had been buying so many FFG thin-boxes though that I guess I assumed their larger games had better inserts.
At some point when I get back to the states I'll have to get into foam core.

octobot

I'm not sure what I expected or wanted but this was not it. Kinda meh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHN2NpEOYSg

More info on the MTG boardgame. Not really sure I'm liking the route they are taking. Squads of creatures (and what looks like possibly only 2 per plains walker). It doesn't have the epic feel I was hoping for. I was hoping for a cross between magewars and risk. I'll hold out for more info in hopes that they come up with more to sway my interest.

Experien

Xia : Legends of a Drift system

pic1673542_md.jpg

Are you storing your ships in the black section or the big pit in the clear part? I am undecided as of yet.

Is there a randomizer app for Aliens? (Android or iOS) Couldn't find one. The Legendary ones are really great.
I don't really see it as that type of deck builder. The appeal for me is to play it using the prebuilt movie scenarios. The game is very story driven when played that way and it feels thematic. Randomizing it would ruin that aspect of the game.

Just got back to Greenland to find Eldritch Horror waiting for me. Happy to get it, not so happy to find no dice or plastic stands inside but those are easily replaceable.
Also, fuck FFG inserts. I mean, I know people complain about them and I certainly don't like the inserts in some of my games like Rune Age, Elder Sign, and Blood Bowl TM. My Arkham Horror plastic insert isn't the best insert ever but it holds everything well-enough. I guess my copy of Arkham Horror is more than a couple years older than some of the newer games I own from them. I had been buying so many FFG thin-boxes though that I guess I assumed their larger games had better inserts.
At some point when I get back to the states I'll have to get into foam core.
FFG stopped making real inserts years ago. The ones they use now are just for keeping things from shifting during shipping. They aren't really meant to be useful as actual inserts.

Edit: Forgot to mention I finally got to play the latest BLood Bowl: Team Manager expansion. It's so fucking good. I played as the Nurgle team and they are really fun to play and a needle in the side of your opponents. The only thing I would say is don't play it with five players, it's just too damn long. The game is great in general but that expansion is just fantastic and a must buy for fans of BBTM

Rubius

I have read the Istanbul rules. Aren't they like 6 pages with pictures?

Pretty much. Every space is explained, the setup is a step by step thing with picture, and every player have a cheat sheet with every thing you need to know to play the game. So yeah, extremely easy to play.

Chorazin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHN2NpEOYSg

More info on the MTG boardgame. Not really sure I'm liking the route they are taking. Squads of creatures (and what looks like possibly only 2 per plains walker). It doesn't have the epic feel I was hoping for. I was hoping for a cross between magewars and risk. I'll hold out for more info in hopes that they come up with more to sway my interest.

It's Heroscape with spell cards! What's not epic about that?

JSR_Cube

I got Panamax yesterday. Has anyone tried it yet? Any impressions? My group likes mid-weight games with some interaction, so I am hoping this will at least get a couple of plays.

I got Panamax yesterday. Has anyone tried it yet? Any impressions? My group likes mid-weight games with some interaction, so I am hoping this will at least get a couple of plays.

After you play through it once (completely), things will start making sense, but man, I hope you didn't think it was a mid-weight game, because it's very complex. I guess it's not too complex in terms of rules, it's just complex because of the checks-and-balances in place to keep the game balanced, requiring players to pay attention to a lot of things at the same time, all the time.

The game rules really can be summarized as follows:
- During the game, on your turn, you'll be choosing between taking on contracts to deliver goods, moving ships along the canal, and investing in stocks. That's the simple gist
-- But, while doing so, you also have to balance the cost/benefit of deploying goods, purchasing ships, developing perks by specializing in certain contracts, and being constantly broke.

It's wacky, there's so much to keep track of and be cognizant of. I'm one of your typical non-AP guys (averages five seconds per turn because I can think through my actions during other players' turns), but I found myself brainlocked a lot with this one.

If you decide to play this, it's a very interesting economic game, but one that will definitely require a lot of playthroughs to shine. DO NOT play this once, put it back on the shelf, and bring it out again a few months down the road. Hype the crap out of it, schedule at least two play sessions, and get it out there. I'm sure this is an enjoyable game if you play it this way. I played it the other way, but know that there's something there that I'm missing.

JSR_Cube

Thanks for the impressions. Heavy complexity hopefully won't be a problem. I appreciate depth, as long as it isn't a 50 page rulebook, which isn't the case here.

Xater

Ok second day of Essen over for me. So far I have picked up the following:

Concordia Expansion
Mascarade Expansion
Cash and Guns Second Edition
Colt Express
Council of Verona with Poison Expansion

Tomorrow I will check out Robin, [redacted] and Frankenstein's Bodies.

I got an explanation of [] today and it sounds really cool but I need to try it first before I pick it up. Frankenstein's Bodies just made my try list because of the Geek Buzz. Also people seems to really like Among the Stars. Maybe I should check that out as well.

8 Minute Empire: Legends was a pleasant surprise. Though I don't think the actual title of "8 Minute Per Player Empire: Legends" would roll off the tongue quite as well.

Neverfade

Lawdy.

I also couldn't figure out how to pull a die from focus or a spell when I needed to reroll glyphs.

Not sure why they didn't just do a straight copy of Elder Sign.

Neverfade

Don't you just drag them?

To put them ON a spell or focus, yes. But the board game version rules allow you to readd those dice to your pool before a roll if you wish. Once they're purple (denoting focus or spelled), I attempted to tap and drag in all sorts of configurations to no avail.

Top Bottom