• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Speaking of storage solutions, my awesome girlfriend made a custom foam-core insert for my copy of Dead of Winter! This is going to make setting it up so much easier next time I get it on the table.

Nice! She did two levels too. It's something that I had to do with Eclipse to fit the base game and its expansion into the original box. Also, I like how the pins are still in. I do that too. =)

Chorazin

Nice! She did two levels too. It's something that I had to do with Eclipse to fit the base game and its expansion into the original box. Also, I like how the pins are still in. I do that too. =)

I'm glad she left the pins in too, not only does it add a bit of sturdiness, it's just cool looking. She working on a similar one for City of Horror now, and then 7 Wonders and Chaos in the Old World. I'm lucky she loves doing stuff like this! :-D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Quite enjoyed our first play of Machi Koro last night (3P). Got screwed because I went all-in on the 1s and 11-12s later and they almost never came up. :p Playmat is unnecessary but real nice. If you are the kind of person that hates Love Letter because it's too random/simple you will not like Machi Koro (though it has a bit more complexity that Love Letter), but I love random and simple.

hort

Neo Member
Picked up Hey! Thats my Fish! last night. I was under the impression that everything (box, tiles, penguins) was bigger than it was, but thats not a big deal.

Played 3 times with the girlfriend. I figured out early in the first game that I could cut an island full of fish off from the board with one penguin on it to get them later. She was not happy with me the first two games, but the third game she figured out my plan and blocked me everywhere she could, beating me pretty badly.

Overall I really liked it, there is a surprising amount of strategy to something that looks so simple.

Experien

What's the word on Abyss? Good stuff? Just good art?

Very nice looking. I'm gonna try to do one for Lords of Waterdeep with a removable tray for the cubes. Same for Eldritch horror and Elder Sign.

Mmmm foam core! I am holding off my Eldritch Horror copy until I get the expansion this December.

Xater

Made my decision. Selling my current Power Grid stuff and I will get the deluxe version. I just love the better bits and map too much. The changes will also absolutely improve play. I just really hope that they will do more maps for this version but it seems like if they are going to keep it around and don't make it just a limited thing. Best of maps would be great, give me Korea and central Europe as one expansion and the game is complete for me.

Made my decision. Selling my current Power Grid stuff and I will get the deluxe version. I just love the better bits and map too much. The changes will also absolutely improve play. I just really hope that they will do more maps for this version but it seems like if they are going to keep it around and don't make it just a limited thing. Best of maps would be great, give me Korea and central Europe as one expansion and the game is complete for me.

Why don't you get the deluxe version first then make your decision? Worst case you only lose a couple of bucks, I don't believe the old game would depreciate so much.

Been playing a lot of small world recently, to the point that my wife ordered several expansions and an art bin box to house the game more effectively. It's such a fun game. My students who are in my after school board game club have moved past their addiction to Fluxx and have moved into Settlers of Catan. It's been fun watching them progress into more complex games.

Xater

Why don't you get the deluxe version first then make your decision? Worst case you only lose a couple of bucks, I don't believe the old game would depreciate so much.

German rules are up and stuff. So it's not hard for me to tell that it will be a better experience.

Also as you can see I won't miss many of the expansion maps. I own 5 but of those basically only 2 or 3 sides of them actually get played regularly.

For my Battlecon box I ended up just buying a bunch of plastic baggies that could snuggly fit each fighter's stand, tokens and cards. I then put the stuff you need for the "normal" game in another bag and each variant in separate bags that I marked with a sharpie. It isn't a fancy tuckbox thing, but it is pretty easy to get what you need out of the box in short order.

Sorting BattleCON is ridiculous, I also went with the plastic bag approach and I think I have it split into three different boxes, with the Devastation characters in one, the board and extras in another, and the War characters in their own box. All of them tightly wrapped into plastic bags. I would love a dedicated storage box.

Played Terra Mystica for the first time this past weekend. I want to be playing it again right now. They really couldn't have made the whole spades thing more confusing if they tried though.

Mista Koo

I'm conflicted about Power Grid Deluxe. The bits and layout look much better than the original, but the art is way worse.

Also I'm considering buying Libertalia and Concept before TableTop Season 3 is aired.

I'm conflicted about Power Grid Deluxe. The bits and layout look much better than the original, but the art is way worse.

Also I'm considering buying Libertalia and Concept before TableTop Season 3 is aired.

Have they announced the games they were covering? I was going to buy steam park on the CSI sale and SU&SD released a review and it was GONE in 5 mins.

Phthisis

Played Terra Mystica for the first time this past weekend. I want to be playing it again right now. They really couldn't have made the whole spades thing more confusing if they tried though.

I just played it for the first time a couple weeks ago as well. It's a fascinating piece of design, and I respect the hell out of the people who envisioned all the systems in their head.

I just played it for the first time a couple weeks ago as well. It's a fascinating piece of design, and I respect the hell out of the people who envisioned all the systems in their head.

Yeah, we were almost half way through the game and I suddenly understood the thought process behind the the discount on trading houses if you are bordering an opponent's building. I design-geeked out about how clever that mechanic was, and my wife made fun of me.

Mista Koo

Have they announced the games they were covering? I was going to buy steam park on the CSI sale and SU&SD released a review and it was GONE in 5 mins.
Already shot:
  • Tokaido
  • Concept
  • Roll For It and Sushi Go!
  • Forbidden Desert
  • Love Letter and Coup
  • Hare & Tortoise and Council of Verona
  • Sheriff of Nottingham
  • Stone Age
  • Mice & Mystics
Planned:
  • Libertalia
  • Five Tribes
I wanted Steam Park but couldn't come up with a $100 cart for free shipping. Now that my cart's full it's back to original price :(

Mista Koo

I'm considering turning my Splendor box to this:

GISfH1c.png

Can't believe Wheaton passed up Istanbul for some of that shit.
I assume it would be too similar to Five Tribes, which he did call one of the few gamer games he has chosen. Although there are 9 more episodes.

I don't see any problem with his choices btw. I think most of his guests would have trouble with more complex games.

Xater

Can't believe Wheaton passed up Istanbul for some of that shit.

Yeah some questionable stuff on there, but also some really good games.

Also I would have totally picked Istanbul over Five Tribes. No matter how much some people like Five Tribes I bet with a more casual audience Istanbul would go over better just because of how AP prone Five Tribes can be.

fenners

Yeah some questionable stuff on there, but also some really good games.

Also I would have totally picked Istanbul over Five Tribes. No matter how much some people like Five Tribes I bet with a more casual audience Istanbul would go over better just because of how AP prone Five Tribes can be.

I think Istanbul's a better game, though I enjoyed both.

Neverfade

Not only is it a vastly better game, but it's also simpler than Five Tribes.

The mechanics of FT aren't necessarily super deep for a vet, but id never ever play that with someone new to gaming. The choice of moves is incredibly intimidating and bidding for turn order is a shit mechanic that even I, being fairly seasoned at this, lose out on big sometimes.

Xater

The mechanics of FT aren't necessarily super deep for a vet, but id never ever play that with someone new to gaming. The choice of moves is incredibly intimidating and bidding for turn order is a shit mechanic that even I, being fairly seasoned at this, lose out on big sometimes.

It's a mechanic I don't enjoy at all to be honest.

When is Imperial Assault planned to launch? German board game publisher Heidelbaer seems to sell the game at SPIEL according to their site and the new products pdf document at the Spiel site. Unlike The Witcher or X-Com, they ain't labelling it as Demo.

Xater

When is Imperial Assault planned to launch? German board game publisher Heidelbaer seems to sell the game at SPIEL according to their site and the new products pdf document at the Spiel site. Unlike The Witcher or X-Com, they ain't labelling it as Demo.

Whaaaaat? That doesn't seem right. I need to check that out myself.

Edit: Yeah, you are right they are totally having a pre-release sale of the English version of Imperial Assault. I almost want to buy it but I think I'll wait for the German release.

Neverfade

I will say I don't mind it in Game of Thrones.

Likely because its part of a greater power struggle.

And its pretty thematic there.

But there's no reason for that shit in FT.

Xater

Speaking of the Game of Thrones board game. My friend has his birthday coming up and he loves the books and the series. Was thinking about gifting the game to him. How heavy is it?

Neverfade

I think it's on the lighter side of heavy, The rules can be intimidating, but an actual turn plays out very simply.

Resolve three cards from event decks.

Everyone puts an order token in all of their controlled areas.

Perform those actions.

Repeat x10 or until someone controls 7 castles/strongholds.

Xater

I think it's on the lighter side of heavy, The rules can be intimidating, but an actual turn plays out very simply.

Resolve three cards from event decks.

Everyone puts an order token in all of their controlled areas.

Perform those actions.

Repeat x10 or until someone controls 7 castles/strongholds.

Heaviest game in our group is probably still Power Grid. Well we did also play some Agricola.

So during gameplay it's quite intuitive and not something where there are a lot of fiddly rules you might need to look up again?

Neverfade

A bunch of the event cards are simple things like "X type of order can't be played this round"

The most complicated one is the Game of Thrones power struggle where players bid power on three different tracks that determine turn order, combat tie-breaker hierarchy, and how many special orders can be played per player.

There's only 5 different types of orders, most of which are pretty simple.

It's an easy sell for anyone who enjoys "Dudes on a Map" style games, but there are quite a few more rules than Power Grid.

Xater

A bunch of the event cards are simple things like "X type of order can't be played this round"

The most complicated one is the Game of Thrones power struggle where players bid power on three different tracks that determine turn order, combat tie-breaker hierarchy, and how many special orders can be played per player.

There's only 5 different types of orders, most of which are pretty simple.

It's an easy sell for anyone who enjoys "Dudes on a Map" style games, but there are quite a few more rules than Power Grid.

We are pretty open to everything usually, but I do know that for him and his wife the Starcraft board game was too heavy. I have not played that game, they just told me that it was too complex for them to be enjoyable.

Game of Thrones is simpler than it looks. I had no problem teaching it to people who had only played catan.

I should mention that it's one of my favorite games.

Neverfade

We are pretty open to everything usually, but I do know that for him and his wife the Starcraft board game was too heavy. I have not played that game, they just told me that it was too complex for them to be enjoyable.

Starcraft is waaaaaaaaaay heavier than GoT.

hort

Neo Member
Game of Thrones is simpler than it looks. I had no problem teaching it to people who had only played catan.

I should mention that it's one of my favorite games.

A friend had this and we decided to try it one night. He had not read the rules, so I attempted to. That book is huge. I got through maybe half of it before we decided to play ticket to ride instead, figuring that we didn't have time to get through the rules and the game that night.

Karkador

Banned

What especially makes it a simpler game is that more of "the game" is present on the board itself, rather than in other components (separate cards, and the giant player reference sheet). Despite that, there is arguably more interesting things to interact with in a game of Istanbul than in Five Tribes.

I would imagine that it would also be easier game to film and edit into a show.

...now I wanna go play some Istanbul..

Neverfade

What especially makes it a simpler game is that more of "the game" is present on the board itself, rather than in other components (separate cards, and the giant player reference sheet). Despite that, there is arguably more interesting things to interact with in a game of Istanbul than in Five Tribes.

I would imagine that it would also be easier game to film and edit into a show.

...now I wanna go play some Istanbul..

Despite all that, this is what he tweeted:
"I wanted to like Istanbul, but the rules are difficult to understand, and there are too many clashing mechanics. :( "

Absurd.

To make matters worse, here's the tweet directly before it:
"Really enjoyed Kingdom Builder. Good ratio of luck to strategy, plays fast, very easy to teach. It's on the list. #tabletop"

Rage.

I've heard that sort of thing before, and I just don't get it. Important decisions every turn, and plays incredibly differently based on your goal cards and the randomized board, I just don't see what's not to like here.

Neverfade

I don't feel the decisions are decisions at all. Place your building on the only terrain you can in the spot that's worth the most. That's it.

Top Bottom