• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Phthisis

Don't tell me, there's games in my collection I've never opened with friends just for the reason that I "wanted" to have it. Just in case I MIGHT get to play it. :(

I think I have more unplayed games than played. They look so fund and just playing them a couple of times would justify the purchase. Worst thing is that when they go OOP, sometimes they go OOP forever. That really pushes the collector in me, unlike video games, books, etc.

EYEL1NER

Has anyone played Cypher yet? I almost bought a copy solely because it is another AEG game in a drawstring bag. I saw that there wasn't much activity on BGG for it, but I guess it is still pretty new. Haven't even got the chance to try either of the Lost Legacy games that I bought yet, so I don't need it I guess. I do feel like it deserves a spot next to the four different Love Letters and two Lost Legacy games that I already have.

Experien

Has anyone played Cypher yet? I almost bought a copy solely because it is another AEG game in a drawstring bag. I saw that there wasn't much activity on BGG for it, but I guess it is still pretty new. Haven't even got the chance to try either of the Lost Legacy games that I bought yet, so I don't need it I guess. I do feel like it deserves a spot next to the four different Love Letters and two Lost Legacy games that I already have.

All I've heard is that it is an overcomplex Love Letter?

Did you mix the two sets? Does it play better or worse than 2-deck Love Letters? That's really all I want to know lol.

Haven't tried 2-deck love letter. I'd imagine having unique sets of cards instead of like, 10 guards, would make the game a lot more dynamic.

You mix both sets and remove 1 of the lost legacies, and play normally. Getting eliminated on the first turn is way worse in this case, but we still have fun with it.

Also, if by some alignment of the stars you can make it to the end of the deck, having the same numbered card is twice as likely, or having an X, so it's easier for no one to win in that case.

Also inflates the ruins size quite a bit.

daevv

GMT Fall Sale started today! 20% off all in-stock games, or 50% off a game for each P500 pre-order you purchased this year (through October).

My pick-ups:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-392-no-retreat-the-north-african-front-deluxe-edition.aspx

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-393-c-c-ancients-exp-1-greece-the-eastern-kingdoms-reprint.aspx

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-246-c-c-ancients-mounted-mapboard.aspx
(so I can get my Epic Ancients on when the reprint arrives next month)

I qualify for 50% after getting Fire in the Lake. I really want the other COIN games but they are all out of print so I'm leaning towards Dominant Species or Space Empires 4X.

I qualify for 50% after getting Fire in the Lake. I really want the other COIN games but they are all out of print so I'm leaning towards Dominant Species or Space Empires 4X.
Dominant Species is great, Space Empires is ok. I'm not a fan of the upkeep in the game. If you haven't looked into it yet, check out Thunder Alley. It's a fantastic card driven racing game. I'm not a fan of NASCAR or car racing in general, but I love this game.

Mista Koo

Impulse bought Splendor. The chips quality is amazing! (even though I hate the art on them).
I've been wanting to play it for a while but never got the chance. Also my nephew and step-niece loved Jaipur, this would at least let us all play together.

Dreavus

After watching the 40k Conquest video from Fantasy Flight, I need to own it. It looks a bit like Blood Bowl, which I love. The expansion opportunities are endless.

You made me seek out said video. GAH

Looks awesome, but I just know it will be yet another game that I was have little to no chances to actually play. I wonder what the playtime is... looks like a relatively quick play.

daevv

Dominant Species is great, Space Empires is ok. I'm not a fan of the upkeep in the game. If you haven't looked into it yet, check out Thunder Alley. It's a fantastic card driven racing game. I'm not a fan of NASCAR or car racing in general, but I love this game.

Thanks! Dominant Species looks to be the game I'm going with over Space Empires. I'm now checking out Thunder Ally though. None of us in the group owns a racing game so It maybe time for one. :)

Also found this buried within the huge Oct 5th GMT update:

Tentative Production Schedule:

2Q and 3Q, 2015
COIN Reprints - AA, ADP, CL

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Been catching up on videogame stuff and wasn't paying attention. Missed the release of Dead of Winter. Feels bad, man.

emag

We broke open Concordia earlier this week and gave it a go with five players (Imperium map).

When it was all over, I felt the scoring system was rather flat. Pretty much every card ended up being worth 8-12 points for every player, with a few exceptions reaching 15. This is very different from, for example, the privileges in Navegador where a Shipyard privilege may be worth 8 or more points to Player A but only 2 points to Player B, whereas a Colony privilege may be worth 0 points to Player A but 10 or more points to Player B. (And of course in Imperial, the selection of countries in which a player buys bonds makes a tremendous difference.)

In effect, this meant that buying whichever two cards you could afford with the Senator action would award ~20 points, regardless of god (with the notable exception of the specific Minerva cards). Has your experience with the game been different? Is Concordia much more about tactics and playing in the margins than it is about overall strategy?

Ohnonono

I have a BGG listing for all of my Netrunner stuff. Having to cull the games and it didn't make the cut because my local group shredded after my FLGS shut down.

Here is the link. If you are not a BGG member and don't feel like making an account just to use the marketplace message me on here and we can do the same deal.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/649281

It is literally everything release up to this point with 2 core sets. Also lots of extras in there and I will pay for shipping, US only.

Karkador

Banned
Played Five Tribes last night. The "worker displacement" game is fun, and a nice challenge. However, I've got to admit that I'm getting tired of the French boardgame style of language-independent, look-it-up-on-the-reference sheet, every-card-has-a-different-power style of game. It was a nice game anyhow.

Now having played with the slave cards, I gotta say that it comes across as a very meaningless and empty statement - and for a game that is already teetering on having a meaningless pasted-on theme, those cards just make me think the theme is completely careless.

Phthisis

Thanks! Dominant Species looks to be the game I'm going with over Space Empires. I'm now checking out Thunder Ally though. None of us in the group owns a racing game so It maybe time for one. :)

Also found this buried within the huge Oct 5th GMT update:

With the speed at which Gallic Wars made P500 (less than a week!), it's probably GMT's hottest series outside Twilight Struggle right now.

EYEL1NER

For any Kanai fans, the English first edition of R (recently released by Blue Orange as Brave Rats) just went live on the BGG Store. Blue Orange said they were shipping a few copies after Gen Con to BGG but I can't imagine there are that many available. I wanted Brave Rats but didn't like the cartoony rat artwork.

A copy of R and the Starfire promo card for the DC Deckbuilding game on,y set me back $13.XX. So R seems to be right around the price of Love Letter or Lost Legacy, which seems like a great price for what I have seen recommended on BGG many times as "Love Letter for two players." I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't mind 2p Love Letter, playing with my wife and her guessing correctly with a guard on the first card doesn't bother me because it plays so quick. But an improved version suited to two-people and with that Kanai art no less... I am so pumped to get a copy.

EDIT: Went back to the post on BGG about the copies being shipped to the BGG Store, they sent 50 copies I guess.

Chorazin

For any Kanai fans, the English first edition of R (recently released by Blue Orange as Brave Rats) just went live on the BGG Store. Blue Orange said they were shipping a few copies after Gen Con to BGG but I can't imagine there are that many available. I wanted Brave Rats but didn't like the cartoony rat artwork.

A copy of R and the Starfire promo card for the DC Deckbuilding game on,y set me back $13.XX. So R seems to be right around the price of Love Letter or Lost Legacy, which seems like a great price for what I have seen recommended on BGG many times as "Love Letter for two players." I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't mind 2p Love Letter, playing with my wife and her guessing correctly with a guard on the first card doesn't bother me because it plays so quick. But an improved version suited to two-people and with that Kanai art no less... I am so pumped to get a copy.

EDIT: Went back to the post on BGG about the copies being shipped to the BGG Store, they sent 50 copies I guess.

Wooo, thanks for the heads up, I got my order in. :) This will be a nice compliment to Braverats.

Impulse bought Splendor. The chips quality is amazing! (even though I hate the art on them).
I've been wanting to play it for a while but never got the chance. Also my nephew and step-niece loved Jaipur, this would at least let us all play together.

It would really work well with them. The game concepts are simple to teach and allow for a wide variety of strategies and replayability.

JSR_Cube

Played Five Tribes last night. The "worker displacement" game is fun, and a nice challenge. However, I've got to admit that I'm getting tired of the French boardgame style of language-independent, look-it-up-on-the-reference sheet, every-card-has-a-different-power style of game.

I agree. I am getting sick of the language independence trend with symbols and reference sheets for everything.

I also tried Imperial Settlers for the first time a couple of nights ago. I was a little disappointed with it. The text on the cards is tiny and you have to know what cards everyone has in front of them. I just found it all a bit fiddly. It isn't a bad game but I just am not dying to play it again. I would give it a seven out of ten after the first play. I will try it again and see if my rating improves.

Played Five Tribes last night. The "worker displacement" game is fun, and a nice challenge. However, I've got to admit that I'm getting tired of the French boardgame style of language-independent, look-it-up-on-the-reference sheet, every-card-has-a-different-power style of game. It was a nice game anyhow.

Now having played with the slave cards, I gotta say that it comes across as a very meaningless and empty statement - and for a game that is already teetering on having a meaningless pasted-on theme, those cards just make me think the theme is completely careless.

A friend flips out on the language independent symbol games. They are annoying to teach for sure, but it pisses him off so much lol

Language independent games are great. Blame it on bad iconography.

Few games can actually justify the text on them. It's even worse when rules or actions get retroactively changed, iconography remains the same but wording changes.

Mista Koo

Few games can actually justify the text on them. It's even worse when rules or actions get retroactively changed, iconography remains the same but wording changes.
Totally agreed. Love language independent games.

Nothing wrong with it till you got pages of icons. Becomes redundant if players are stuck depending on reference sheets because of too many icons. A handful its fine, but too many and it gets burdensome.

boraaa

Neo Member
gah, would have totally grabbed rats from the bgg store. instead grabbed martian manhunter and starfire because i've been cringing at the ebay prices for those two. should be happy :D

I'm playing through a few games of WarHammer: Conquest with my bud. I like the game, its just the core set is so constricting. Typically FFG core sets allow for full play of the game, but this one doesn't seem so. You can play with just the set decks, but if you want to play constructed there is barely enough cards to meet the minimum of 50 cards. And that's an issue for me, since I want to create strategies in a deck. Additionally, they say you can have up to three copies of a card in a deck, but there is mostly just one of each provided in the box.
I think the game will get interesting, but I wish the constructed format is as interesting and full as netrunner is out of the box. I just feel like I got cheated out of a full experience.

Karkador

Banned
Wouldnt want RftG with text. Once you understand what the icons are they actually make perfect sense. I never had to use the cheat sheets.

RftG has helpful text on the cards, anyway (for the more complex effects). It can seem intimidating to just look at a card with no introduction and be overwhelmed by what's going on, but I think Race is actually not that hard to grasp.

The icons make the game glide once you learn them (it's much faster than reading text on a card), and it benefits the game by having lots of unique cards that do different things (but all adhering to the same basic icon set)

daevv

I actually went with Thunder Ally over Dominant Species! After watching some gameplay and how to play vids I had to get it. It's way different then most of our games and should bring a good change to game nights. Thanks for the suggestion!

EYEL1NER

I see a couple things I want from the CSI sale I guess. I haven't gotten around to purchasing Firefly: Pirates and Bounty Hunters yet. And the Legends of the Three Kingdoms game looks pretty cool. I do have an order that I could add them to, one that I could replace a couple games with (Takenoko is on the order, but I bought it during the big Amazon sale and haven't called to have it removed. King of New York and Machi Koro don't seem like they'll ever come out, so I could remove those for now too. I believe KoNY just got pushed back from the 15th to the end of the month. EDIT: Correction on the Machi Koro-front. Amazon says it is in stock for ordering and I know Barnes and Noble has had it for a while. CSI's page still says it is a pre-order though. So I guess it did come out).

And man, I am so jealous. Someone on BGG scored a punched, sorted, but never played copy of Hornet a leader for $50 in an auction. Saw it after it was already sold. I've been wanting a flight game and that seems like a good one but not easy to find for that cheap.

Wouldnt want RftG with text. Once you understand what the icons are they actually make perfect sense. I never had to use the cheat sheets.

Base game, more expansions you add the worse it gets. If you play on a regular basis, sure you can learn it easily, but when you play a game like that once in a while everyone forgets most of the stuff and it always becomes a lesson of learning many of the icons. Nothing wrong with the concept, but if the amount of icons runs out of control, then it's annoying

It's self centered but if the rules are well written I know I can always read text. I'd rather have bad text than bad iconography. That just adds an extra step.

Xater

We broke open Concordia earlier this week and gave it a go with five players (Imperium map).

When it was all over, I felt the scoring system was rather flat. Pretty much every card ended up being worth 8-12 points for every player, with a few exceptions reaching 15. This is very different from, for example, the privileges in Navegador where a Shipyard privilege may be worth 8 or more points to Player A but only 2 points to Player B, whereas a Colony privilege may be worth 0 points to Player A but 10 or more points to Player B. (And of course in Imperial, the selection of countries in which a player buys bonds makes a tremendous difference.)

In effect, this meant that buying whichever two cards you could afford with the Senator action would award ~20 points, regardless of god (with the notable exception of the specific Minerva cards). Has your experience with the game been different? Is Concordia much more about tactics and playing in the margins than it is about overall strategy?

Play it a couple more times. You can totally outplay your competition if they don't pay attention. I have won games against first timers with a 100 point lead. There are cards to buy for effect and cards to buy for points and depending on what you do on the map you have to balance the two well.

Karkador

Banned
Base game, more expansions you add the worse it gets. If you play on a regular basis, sure you can learn it easily, but when you play a game like that once in a while everyone forgets most of the stuff and it always becomes a lesson of learning many of the icons. Nothing wrong with the concept, but if the amount of icons runs out of control, then it's annoying

I'd say that there's no need to add a Race for the Galaxy expansion until you've more or less mastered the base game - by which time you should be very familiar with the icons, and moving to a new set wont be so much more to learn at once. There's enough game in the base game to last you a long while.

Also, as I said, many of the cards have a text box that help explain the more complex effects anyway, so it's not like you're only deciphering iconography. It's really only about 10 icons (or less?) that you need to learn, the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Race's icon-heavy design improves the game because most cards have a unique makeup of effects, but you can very quickly read them with the icon system, and it makes for a pretty complex game that plays very quickly. If you put it as text on a card (as San Juan and Glory to Rome do), it feels more slow to go through each card in your hand every time, reading them one by one to decipher the meaning of the paragraph.

I understand that "language-independent" design in eurogames has its advantages for the production of the game, but as a person playing the game, I find it tedious. It isn't really "language-independent" if I have to refer to a sheet in my language to understand it. It can give away my intentions simply by looking at the sheet to see something I might want to do. It makes for having an extra sheet of rules constantly on the table (which can sometimes be huge), which can be intimidating for some players, takes up more table space, and is sometimes poorly written and confusing anyhow.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The first expansion is pretty essential imo. One of the best expansions ever in terms of really rounding out a game. The others I could take or leave.

emag

I'll definitely give Concordia another go (or more). My group enjoyed it and despite everyone going for a similar broad strategy, the scores ranged from ~80 points to ~140 points. Next time we play I'll try to specialize and see if I can make a viable strategy of that.

Karkador

Banned
The first expansion is pretty essential imo. One of the best expansions ever in terms of really rounding out a game. The others I could take or leave.

That's true, although the first expansion also doesn't add anything in terms of new iconography, as far as I remember.

Plaid Hat's games feel like the exact opposite problem as too much iconography: too much text. I really want to like everything about City of Remnants, still have my copy and enjoy playing it, but there's just too much text on pretty much everything, especially when each player needs to know what each thing does.

Felt the same way about Summoner Wars, but CoR's city pieces really could have used some iconography on them, at least, or something.

Dead of Winter looks to be the same, no clue with Bioshock though.

My copy of the Coup expansion arrived yesterday. I'll be giving it a go at lunch time today. Looking forward to it.

I also got a chance to play Cash & Guns during the week. It was a pretty fun game. Super light, but enjoyable.

Chorazin

Finally got to play Dead of Winter last night! Holy crap that game is great, it's ridiculously thematic and really felt super tense the whole time. Hands down the best zombie game I've payed yet. We played the Too Many Mouths scenario.

The Colony fell into chaos during the second to last turn and we lost due to hitting 0Morale, because the Betrayer delt the killing stroke by throwing two not-needed cards into the Crisis pile! He hit his objective (having two guns on a character and four Medicine cards in hand) and won the game! We realized why he did what he did throughout the game, masterfully playing us all so we didn't think he was suspicious enough to vote for Exile. We should have exiled that SOB....

Can't wait to play it again!

Rubius

Played my new arrived Among the stars copy twice so far and the game is pretty good. My english group liked it, but my french group didnt. They thought it was too "complicated" for some reason, when you dont have to look at the other players ships at all outside of some cards.

Also, played Lords of Waterdeep with Scoudrels of Skullport and it does make the game way way better than the base game.

Also, just received Xia : Legends of a Drift system, and damn does the game look good. Large tiles, metal coin money, ships on a flying base, tons of missions, tons of stuff to do. The game also just scream for expansions and mods. Cant wait to try it.

pic1673542_md.jpg

Experien

Played my new arrived Among the stars copy twice so far and the game is pretty good. My english group liked it, but my french group didnt. They thought it was too "complicated" for some reason, when you dont have to look at the other players ships at all outside of some cards.

Also, played Lords of Waterdeep with Scoudrels of Skullport and it does make the game way way better than the base game.

Also, just received Xia : Legends of a Drift system, and damn does the game look good. Large tiles, metal coin money, ships on a flying base, tons of missions, tons of stuff to do. The game also just scream for expansions and mods. Cant wait to try it.

pic1673542_md.jpg

Played ATS with a few people and they all loved it. On the fence on if I should buy an expansion and/or make my own, smaller box.

Also, SO jealous of your XIA copy. I don't think the US' has even arrived at the distribution center. :(

Top Bottom