• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

I've seen some board games in the B/S/T thread here every so often. Off the top of my head I remember someone selling Thunderstone at the beginning of the year. And someone is selling Star Trek Catan now. But BGG is probably the better place, I've seen a couple users here posting there and listing stuff in the "Video Games for Board Games or vice versa" thread.
If anyone wants to sell games in the B/S/T thread though, drop a link to your listing in here. I would definitely be interested in seeing what people want to offload.

Neverfade

I really wish I wasn't too lazy to deal with math trades. I have about 5 games I reeeaallly wish I could get rid of as they're just taking up space, but haven't been able to strike a deal.

fenners

I love math trades.

I tend to sell/trade a bunch at BGG.Con too. Cycling a /bunch/ of games this year in particular, including a good number of the kids' games.

Working at tech companies, there's usually interest in boardgames on their internal 'for sale' email groups too.

EYEL1NER

I've read the math trade discussion threads a couple times and have read how to take part but have had zero interest in doing it. I like to accumulate more stuff, not get rid of what I have. And luckily I haven't bought anything that I absolutely just did not like (besides Sentinels of the Multiverse and maybe 7 Wonders). I did start up a thread on BGG and ask if buying games from Amazon to be sent to trade recipients was frowned upon or not, due to some people on the marketplace or trade forum having something I wanted but was only open to trades. I've yet to pursue a straight-up trade though.

So I managed to snag a copy of the kickstarter edition of Evolution at a FLGS.

If you are near Berkley, CA I highly recommend you to stop by Games of Berkley.

Rubius

I backed the Keyflower The Merchand for the whole set of Keyflower, Merchand and Farmer, but I never played Keyflower. Any comment on it? The 29$ shipping to canada is pretty annoying as it remove most of the "bonus" from kickstarting. Still cheaper than buying on Boardgamebliss by 1 $ since you get the trader tile.

Browny

Banned
BoardGameGAF, some opinions please... I'm very tempted to buy:

• Lords Of Waterdeep - for the background and fluff (I collect the books).
  • Bioshock Infinite - I loved the game so much...
Since I love the backgrounds of both, is there a possibility I'll be disappointed at the gameplay? I'm not a huge game player, so I don't have high hopes (Talisman and Relic are my go-to games) - but if they're both crocks i.e. completely unplayable, then I'll pass...

On a side note, played my first games of Star Wars LCG at the weekend. I'd played my fair share of the Decipher version and Magic too (both were money sucking habits to say the least), so happy with the general concepts - and it went surprisingly well. Upon review, we did balls up the force struggle side of things - but looking forward to playing some more (especially with scoundrels and bounty hunters).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks for the advice :)
I need to make some space in my cupboard, so I need to offload some games. Today I got a delivery with the new games I just bought from someone selling parts of his collection:
23JUPk5.jpg

I already had Andor before, but highlights among the rest probably are Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Euphrat and Tigris.

Really curious about all of these, and I cant believe how much I am in love with Andor.

Oh and I already tried Mr Jack Pocket and Port Royal, both very good 2 player games. Probably gonna keep Mr Jack Pocket as my designated travel game.

I treat board games just like video games. I never buy used, never trade, and never sell. I buy a few Day 1, but most are bought at deep discount and often in volume. I keep a backlog of both. Come to think of it, I do the same with Lego too.

Since I love the backgrounds of both, is there a possibility I'll be disappointed at the gameplay? I'm not a huge game player, so I don't have high hopes (Talisman and Relic are my go-to games) - but if they're both crocks i.e. completely unplayable, then I'll pass...

On a side note, played my first games of Star Wars LCG at the weekend. I'd played my fair share of the Decipher version and Magic too (both were money sucking habits to say the least), so happy with the general concepts - and it went surprisingly well. Upon review, we did balls up the force struggle side of things - but looking forward to playing some more (especially with scoundrels and bounty hunters).

Both games are quite good. Lords of Waterdeep, especially, is highly regarded in the boardgame community as it's ranked 26th out of all the boardgames, ever.

Lords of Waterdeep is a worker placement game. Worker placement is basically what it sounds like, you place a worker on a space and get to do the action. In Lords of Waterdeep you are gathering wizards, clerics, warriors, rouges, and priests to go out on quests. The main problem with the game is that, while it sounds thematic, you are essentially trading cubes in for points and\or money. I would think the pasted on theme is it's biggest problem, everything else is really good. The game plays quickly, has some good player interactions, and is simple enough to teach and play that anybody can join in.

Bioshock Infinite, is like a faster playing game of Risk. The game only plays two or four players, but really it's just a two player game. Each player takes up a side, either the Vox Populi or the Founders. Each side plays roughly the same except there is a card or two that is exclusive to each faction. The object of the game is to score 10 points. You'll score points by doing different objectives during the game. Combat is handled through a simple dice system and is really easy to understand. I actually really like this game despite it's so-so reception on BGG. Even though it is fairly well rated it's not that highly ranked. I would attribute that, though, to the high initial price point. People just weren't biting at the high price. It's since gone down in price, which is good, but people seem to have forgotten about the game.

You can't go wrong with either game, but they both play completely differently. I think Bioshock is way more thematic, so if you really like Bioshock there is a lot to like in that game. Lords of Waterdeep, is more of a euro game. Not as confrontational and more of an abstract cube pusher. Hopefully that answers your question.

Browny

Banned
*snipped well-detailed and very useful answer!*

It does indeed - very helpful, thank you! I played a lot of Risk when I was younger, and have dabbled in Star Wars Risk more recently, so Bioshock should be a no-brainer. Lords sounds interesting (and is obviously well-regarded!), so orders going in for both. Thanks again!

Lyng

The main problem with the game is that, while it sounds thematic, you are essentially trading cubes in for points and\or money. I would think the pasted on theme is it's biggest problem, everything else is really good. .

Exactly why I would allways suggest people to get Yedo instead. The mechanics are similar but Yedo is dripping with theme and the missions make sense in what you actually do on the board compared to the missioncards.

Neverfade

As a counter to the above, I think both games are hot shite. I'll concede Lords of Water Deep as just not my style, but Bioshock Infinite is actively terrible. The entire Booker/Elizabeth mechanic is just nonsense and adds nothing exciting to a game that needs excitement. I'd tolerate the snooze mode combat if it had some central hooks to make the overall package exciting, but there's nothing but pretty pictures inside that box.

Alternatively, look at Kemet. A much more interesting Dudes-on-a-map game that still keeps it light and bring a ton of actually interesting powers to the table. Also, unlike B:I it's actually well regarded.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like LoW, especially with the expansion, but think it's hugely overrated on BGG. I'd put it on Stone-Age level in terms of a fun and mostly abstract introductory worker-placement cube pusher. Ironically for all the love LoW gets, I think Stone Age has way better theme integration though I think LoW works better as a gateway game. I think both run about 20-30m too long for what they are. :)

Stone Age is a great introductory game, only the cards kind of ruin it with every one of them being a little different and having to explain them every single time gets annoying.

Just picked up the 2nd edition of Onirim. They really stepped up the quality on this printing. Th instructions for both the base game and the expansions are really nice. The cards are nice, too, and seem thicker.

Plus, the pile of the 7 expansions (included) is the same height as the base game.

Let's see if it will beat Urbion as my favorite solo game. :)

Karkador

Banned
Urbion is brutal. I haven't played it in a while, and now that you mention it, I kind of miss it. I also have never won at it. *puts on mental to-play list*

Interesting tidbit: The designer of Urbion and Onirim designed the official solo variant for Troyes, and it works pretty well.

I also got Onirim, love the art style and can't wait to play it. Solo games are not my thing but when they are small like that I think they are ok.

Xater

Thanks for the advice :)
I need to make some space in my cupboard, so I need to offload some games. Today I got a delivery with the new games I just bought from someone selling parts of his collection:

I already had Andor before, but highlights among the rest probably are Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Euphrat and Tigris.

Really curious about all of these, and I cant believe how much I am in love with Andor.

Oh and I already tried Mr Jack Pocket and Port Royal, both very good 2 player games. Probably gonna keep Mr Jack Pocket as my designated travel game.

Brügge and K2 are great.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Brügge and K2 are great.

I played the Cave before (same author as K2), which was very underwhelming, I really hope K2 stacks up better in comparison.

MikeRahl

I backed the Keyflower The Merchand for the whole set of Keyflower, Merchand and Farmer, but I never played Keyflower. Any comment on it? The 29$ shipping to canada is pretty annoying as it remove most of the "bonus" from kickstarting. Still cheaper than buying on Boardgamebliss by 1 $ since you get the trader tile.

I backed this as well to get Merchant's and the Farmer expansions (already have the base game). I think it's a pretty great game, the combination of bidding with your workers and having to balance that with actually using is pretty neat. I also like the mechanic where you can use your opponents tiles but then they get those workers next turn.

Karkador

Banned
I played K2 once and it was good

The Cave looks pretty neat, and I gotta say that part of the theme of the game being going into the caves and getting photos of stuff is really appealing to me. We need the board game equivalent of Pokemon Snap.

ultron87

Two Rooms and a Boom pushed back to April. Blech. You really need to let people who already gave you money know about five month delays a a good amount of time before your current scheduled promised date. There's limit to my outrage since it's been available print and play forever, but I sure would love to have a nice fancy copy instead of my current slapdash solution of paper grayscale cards inserted into card sleeves on top of MTG mountains and islands to show the colors.

joelseph

Two Rooms and a Boom pushed back to April. Blech. You really need to let people who already gave you money know about five month delays a a good amount of time before your current scheduled promised date. There's limit to my outrage since it's been available print and play forever, but I sure would love to have a nice fancy copy instead of my current slapdash solution of paper grayscale cards inserted into card sleeves on top of MTG mountains and islands to show the colors.

It's been so long, some months I panic thinking that I missed the shipping form, only to check KS and see more and more delays. I'm done with KS after I get my last backings.

I like LoW, especially with the expansion, but think it's hugely overrated on BGG. I'd put it on Stone-Age level in terms of a fun and mostly abstract introductory worker-placement cube pusher. Ironically for all the love LoW gets, I think Stone Age has way better theme integration though I think LoW works better as a gateway game. I think both run about 20-30m too long for what they are. :)

It also helps that Stone Age is still one of the most beautiful games out there

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

LoW is an amazing gateway game into worker placement due to its theme. Did it for my group.

Random question, how do you guys store your pathfinder cards? Do you leave the expansion packs in the boxes or add them to the big box? I don't like the idea of unordered cards in boxes within boxes... Is there any harm in using e.g. Items/weapons from the later expansion packs randomly shuffled together with the base for earlier adventures?

Rubius

LoW is an amazing gateway game into worker placement due to its theme. Did it for my group.

Random question, how do you guys store your pathfinder cards? Do you leave the expansion packs in the boxes or add them to the big box? I don't like the idea of unordered cards in boxes within boxes... Is there any harm in using e.g. Items/weapons from the later expansion packs randomly shuffled together with the base for earlier adventures?

You should play the first 3 adventures, then add the first expansion, then play all 6 of the first expansion, then add the second expansion and so on. Expansions cards are harder, and more powerful and you would make the game too hard probably. The Promos can be added anytime after you start the first set, so after the 3 tutorial adventures.

After a while they will ask you to remove basic from the game, and so you put them in one of the expansion box and they are banned of the game everytime you banish them. They are removed from the box pool.

If you want a "better" insert, check out the Ultra pro one or the Broken Token one. I might grab one for that.

If you reset the game for a fresh start, you should remove all the expansions, put them in the respective boxes and you should be good to go.

mercviper

I'm getting a broken token insert for Xmas to store everything. :p

In regards to different adventures, I don't open the new ones until I'm at that point in a campaign. If I'm retreading an earlier adventure for whatever reason, I just replace cards that are too high for that adventure when I draw them with a new one from the box.

When you get to the point where you are removing basic cards from the box, there are sheets on Bgg with card lists that you can use to keep track of which you have removed if you are going to switch between parties.

Toma

I played K2 once and it was good

The Cave looks pretty neat, and I gotta say that part of the theme of the game being going into the caves and getting photos of stuff is really appealing to me. We need the board game equivalent of Pokemon Snap.

I cant compare it to K2 yet, but I can write up my impressions of The Cave if anyone cares.

Smiley90

I'm getting a broken token insert for Xmas to store everything. :p

In regards to different adventures, I don't open the new ones until I'm at that point in a campaign. If I'm retreading an earlier adventure for whatever reason, I just replace cards that are too high for that adventure when I draw them with a new one from the box.

When you get to the point where you are removing basic cards from the box, there are sheets on Bgg with card lists that you can use to keep track of which you have removed if you are going to switch between parties.

So run every adventure only with cards "up until that point" and store them as such? Mmhmmm. I don't like having filled adventure cardboard boxes within my big box. :lol Thank god they're at least all labelled so I can easily distinguish them. Maybe I'll even make small hard "inserts" that are a bit bigger than the regular cards to put between the different cards.

E.g. for the weapon slot in the full box:

iiIiiIiiIiiiiiiii

(for e.g. set 3 I set 2 I set 1 I base set)

that should make it easy enough to store it all out, right?

I also ordered Skulls&Shackles because fuck I just want to OWN everything about a game like Pathfinder. :( It just feels good to have.

Giard

T'Zolkin is pretty fun. It took me a play to wrap my head around the spacial element, but its certainly more accessible than Dominant Species.

Other recent medium weight games that are super dope:

Istanbul,
Concordia,
Kemet,
Quantum,
Imperial Settlers,

Also, if you like the idea of bluffing games but you're just terrible at lying, you should look into Sheriff of Nottingham. You don't actually have to ever lie to win. Just making the sheriff THINK your lying can be a great strategy. Super fun, and about to become widely available (in the US).

Thank you very much for the recommendations! I've taken a quick look at them and I think Kemet looks really fun.

Experien

I was too annoyed to post this...it seems quite unacceptable to say the art is the reason when the art is already done and is pretty basic. My interest in trying to find a time to play this is all but dwindled.

Musan

Is it safe to back Keyflower? I keep hearing here to dodge all Game Salute enterprises.

Toma

Found my initial The Cave impressions from whenever I bought and played the game:

I dont mind fiddliness in games, but I thought this game wasnt presented all that well. Usually, when I went through a manual, I know exactly what to take care of or how to refer to the shorthand (action card), but until the end of the second game I was still sometimes struggling to remember which action would be how costly because the information was neither well presented on the character sheet, nor on the tiles/board itself. Same goes for the moves you used up, we always had another player keeping track of the 5 action points someone is spending because its annoying to keep track of how many very used in a single move while still thinking about which possible moves you have left. But thats just a minor gripe, my biggest issue is that the game didnt feel all that ... engaging?

You can certainly have fun walking deeper into the cave, but to me the game just feels too repetetive, isolated and aimless. My 3 biggest gripes:

Basically non-existent player interaction:
The only player interaction the game has is when considering which path to walk, which sometimes could end up another players path who didnt grab all the points on his way. Other than that the players are just digging down without any sort of interaction, because the only concern is backpacking and traversing. In a 2player game, this didnt matter much because you can just take care of counting the other players steps during his turn, but for 4 players this just dragged out the game immensely as the other players werent influencing you much at all.

Aimlessness:
What am I playing for? Playing to win? Or is it a casual experience to just kill some leisure time with? I feel the game wanted to be taken seriously with the points you can get for doing all the actions, but on the other hand the game doesnt offer any form of point overview. Its literally impossible to keep track of how many points every player has, which could potentially be the deciding factor in whether to try pushing your luck or not. But even then, this would hardly matter as the game never felt like there were different players playing it. With some slight deviations, almost every move from every player on the table was highly predictable because the straight forward exploration approach always results in the same "tactics" approach. Move->Explore new tile-> move-> get points, repeat, return to base. The only differentiation factor, and the only saving grace in that regard, is the option to pack your backpack differently, but even that doesnt offer for a wide variety of choices once you realize that some backpack inventory choices definitely work better than most others. In the end we just gave up trying to "win" this game and just viewed it as anice and casual cave exploration together, which made the experience a bit more enjoyable but unfortunately also a bit pointless as the game it wanted to be. On that note, I also should mention that during our last session, the person NO one at the table expected to win... actually won. Thats how much sense the scoring system makes.

Repetition:
Once we got away from trying to "win" the game, we had some fun just building out the cave complex, but the game doesnt offer enough variety to offer longterm enjoyment in that regard either. Not to mention that the game doesnt have any interesting set pieces which could make your exploration special to you or offer some unexpected challenges (like previously existing paths becoming inaccessible, you randomly falling down a floor, or even an old cliched monster that would maybe need some ressources from you to overcome it so the usual backpack packing repetition is a bit broken up , etcetc), but the fields you can actually explore are almost all the same. There is 1 field, which requires some actual planning and decision making and that is the underground lake tile, all the others can just be passed without any planning and dont offer any interesting strategic decisions. If you walk by a camera spot and have a camera (which everyone usually has), then you take a pic. Its not even a question if anyone should do it,a no brainer basically, so how is that a part of the game enriching the player experience? Unfortunately, it isnt and could have easily just been left out.

While I do think that the creator of this game had a good idea here, I think he ran out of ideas before he managed to make the game interesting, exciting or even giving it a more transparent scoring method. The game has its positives as well, but considering the negatives, I cant actually recommend the game to anyone outside of maybe really casual family gaming sessions that dont have a wide experience with board games yet. But again, I dont think the issues I mentioned are just because I am not able to judge the game as a more casual experience, I think the game has severe inherent flaws that make it less enjoyable than most other games I played recently. Too bad, I really wanted to like it. Still debating whether to give K2 a chance after this or not.

Smiley90

The complete GoT LCG collection atm is about 1300.- CAD (and that's at below MSRP at my very cheap local store)

complete LOTR LCG collection is about 700.- CAD.

hot daaaaaamn

Xater

I cant compare it to K2 yet, but I can write up my impressions of The Cave if anyone cares.

Saw you already posted it, but still wanted to say that I always like seeing impressions in here. BGG is cool and all but it's somewhat more personal in here. BGG is just huge.

Toma

Saw you already posted it, but still wanted to say that I always like seeing impressions in here. BGG is cool and all but it's somewhat more personal in here. BGG is just huge.

I could write up some more impressions about other games. Most recently I played Mr. Jack Pocket, Love Letter, Legends of Andor, Shogun and Port Royal, all of which I would definitely recommend and could write up some decent impressions if anyone cares.

Xater

I could write up some more impressions about other games. Most recently I played Mr. Jack Pocket, Love Letter, Legends of Andor, Shogun and Port Royal, all of which I would definitely recommend and could write up some decent impressions if anyone cares.

I'd be really interested in hearing about Mr. Jack Pocket. That always intrigued me when I saw it in a store.

Toma

I'd be really interested in hearing about Mr. Jack Pocket. That always intrigued me when I saw it in a store.

Will do, I'll pm you once I wrote it :)

Did some Camel Up and Pressure Cooker last night. Camel Up is very simple quick fun. Nice party game for up to 8 players I think, not a ton of meat to it but it sets up and plays real fast.

Pressure Cooker we enjoyed, but those components are pretty crappy. The cardboard for everything feels so cheap, and the scoring dials they included are awful, any little bump of your board and the dials move. At end of the game even being careful, we were certain the scores were all messed up since the score trackers move way too much unlike stiff dials found in most other games. Have to see if there is a way to fix these dials or otherwise it will be better to just keep score written on paper or something else as the dials are so bad. Game itself is fun, similar to Galaxy Trucker, a bit solitaire like play wise though, but we liked it despite the crappy production quality.

Palmer_v1

Did some Camel Up and Pressure Cooker last night. Camel Up is very simple quick fun. Nice party game for up to 8 players I think, not a ton of meat to it but it sets up and plays real fast.

Pressure Cooker we enjoyed, but those components are pretty crappy. The cardboard for everything feels so cheap, and the scoring dials they included are awful, any little bump of your board and the dials move. At end of the game even being careful, we were certain the scores were all messed up since the score trackers move way too much unlike stiff dials found in most other games. Have to see if there is a way to fix these dials or otherwise it will be better to just keep score written on paper or something else as the dials are so bad. Game itself is fun, similar to Galaxy Trucker, a bit solitaire like play wise though, but we liked it despite the crappy production quality.

My only issue with Camel Cup is that some people really like to roll the dice, even though that is generally one of the worse actions you can take. It just gives a ton of information and opportunities to the next player. If you're sitting to the right of one of these dice rolling people, you basically don't get to play the game.

Has anybody played Camel Up with 8? How did it play? I can't imagine playing with more than five. Not that it would take long, but how would you ever be able to do things? At five I sometimes feel someone snaked a betting tile from underneath me.

Palmer_v1

Is Camel Up worth getting. I just saw that Amazon.de has it for 14,98 which is super cheap.

Despite my reservations above, I would definitely buy it at that price.

Has anybody played Camel Up with 8? How did it play? I can't imagine playing with more than five. Not that it would take long, but how would you ever be able to do things? At five I sometimes feel someone snaked a betting tile from underneath me.

It can definitely be a problem. There's nothing worse than having someone roll the dice immediately after you, so every decent bet and/or oasis is taken before you get a chance.

It does have a pretty cool dice pyramid that you use for rolling, though!

Toma

Okay, Mr Jack Pocket impressions:

Not my picture:
Hurrican-MrJackPocket-02.JPG

General:
Its a 2 player game where both players have different tasks. One player, Jack, is hiding his identity among a number of suspects and wins if he has a certain amount of "time" points, whereas the other player (Holmes & Friends) is trying to narrow down the choice of suspects and wins if Mr. Jack's identity is uncovered.

Gameplay:
The main gameplay mechanic revolves around 3 character chips that are looking into the Whitechapel district (on the picture: Holmes on the left, Dog below and Watson to the right), trying to identify Mr. Jack. As you can see, those street cards have walls, which cannot be seen through. Since characters can only see in a straight line, the picture above means:
1. Holmes sees nothing (because he is standing before a wall
2. Watson sees the white suspect
3. The Dog sees the blue and the black suspect

Every turn, a player throws up 4 coins. Those coins have 2 different actions on their front and back side each and determine the actions that Mr. Jack and Holmes can do that turn. Those actions include moving the heroes (even Mr. Jack may do so), taking time counters (only Mr. Jack), getting a clue about an innocent suspect (only Holmes), switching 2 tiles or turning a tile.

The main part of the puzzle is to figure out which actions give you the most heads up in this race, and in this regard, the game is incredibly well thought out thematically. Mr. Jack tries to mingle with as many people as possible and to mislead Holmes with false clues, whereas Holmes will try to check a big amount of suspects and to analyze Mr. Jack's behaviour.

After every turn, Holmes may ask whether the heroes see the suspect or not. If he sees the suspect, all cards the heroes cant see need to be turned upside down as they are no suspects anymore. If he doesnt see the suspect, all cards the heroes can see are turned upside down as they are no suspects anymore. Then with less suspects, and Mr. Jack winning some of those crucial time points, the next round starts.

Verdict:
At heart, its a puzzle game about figuring out the most optimal distribution of suspects and sometimes can leave you with turns without much choice depending on the side the chips are landing. But cleverly enough, if that happens, the next turn will be even more eventful than usual, because you'll use the other side of the chips then, leading to more possibilities. Every game I played so far was somewhat evenly balanced, and I never felt like I had no chance during these games, even though I lost all of them against my gf (sigh).

Its a very small box, has robust thick cardboard pieces, is very quick to play (a round might take between 10-20 minutes), versatile (2 different perspectives) and is still challenging enough to brood over certain moves for a few minutes. I also have a thing for games which create a "board" from cards. I think this might be my new favourite 2 player game for travels actually.

Top Bottom