• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

0pqHCcCl.jpg

Pick up the 2nd co-op expansion Nature's Ire. I haven't try it yet but looks very interesting. I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't incorporate the 2nd big expansion. I saw the poster and assume that it uses parts from that box.

Xater

Sounds good Toma. I am also into 2 player games that have a small footprint. Something like that is just easily set up, you can play multiple rounds or play some other games like that as well. Also great for travel.

My personal favorite in this category is Hive Pocket followed by Jaipur.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I find Mr Jack Pocket to be pretty difficult for Jack to win.

I do like small two player games, too.

I read that online too, but it didnt really matter in the first games I played with my girlfriend at least. She won 2 times as Mr. Jack and 1 time as Mr. Holmes out of the 3 games we played. The most difficult aspect of playing Mr. Jack is probably balancing the "get time counters" vs "hide" element with a particular action you can take. There is a bit more of "what ifs" involved with the Mr. jack side, since he has an element that Holmes doesnt need to take into account at all, but so far it seemed fairly well balanced.

I'll test that some more, but considering you can switch sides pretty quickly and you arent stuck with one side for 3 hours, it wouldnt matter much if Mr Jack really turns out harder to play than Holmes, considering you can just switch after a match (The winner of the last round needs to play Mr. Jack)

Sounds good Toma. I am also into 2 player games that have a small footprint. Something like that is just easily set up, you can play multiple rounds or play some other games like that as well. Also great for travel.

My personal favorite in this category is Hive Pocket followed by Jaipur.

I got Hive recently too, curious how that plays. Looking into Jaipur :)

Slacker

Hive Pocket and Jaipur get a lot of play around here too. Along with Mr. Jack (non-pocket), Lost Cities (the card game), Agricola All Creatures Great and Small, Ticket to Ride 1910 Mega version, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. We do a lot of 1v1 around here. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hive Pocket and Jaipur get a lot of play around here too. Along with Mr. Jack (non-pocket), Lost Cities (the card game), Agricola All Creatures Great and Small, Ticket to Ride 1910 Mega version, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. We do a lot of 1v1 around here. :)

Any difference between Hive Pocket and Hive?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
People going to BGG.Con: Are there enough of us to make a separate thread or should we just chat in here or over email? :p

Slacker

Yep, I prefer the smaller pieces. Like I said it's smaller of a footprint and can because of that be basically played anywhere. Easily works on a plane or at the pool. :p

Same here - I was worried they might be too small looking at the pictures but they're really just perfect. And Hive Pocket comes with a couple extra pieces too.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah it seems a lot of people prefer the smaller pieces of Hive Pocket, because they're not really THAT small, and the original game's pieces are actually rather large.

I'm looking for a new two player game to play with my girlfriend. Pixel Tactics should be delivered in a week, but I'm looking for others as well.

-Summoner Wars
-Jaipur
-Small World
-Lost Cities

I have Android: Netrunner for trade if anyone is interested in just straight up trading for the above games. I originally purchased it from someone in the B/S/T thread, but my girlfriend and none of my friends will take the time to learn to play it. I tried selling it back on the B/S/T thread, but shipping killed the deal. It's in great condition and only been taken out of the box maybe twice.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm looking for a new two player game to play with my girlfriend. Pixel Tactics should be delivered in a week, but I'm looking for others as well.

-Hive
-Jaipur
-Agricola All Creatures

I have Android: Netrunner for trade if anyone is interested in just straight up trading for the above games. I originally purchased it from someone in the B/S/T thread, but my girlfriend and none of my friends will take the time to learn to play it. I tried selling it back on the B/S/T thread, but shipping killed the deal. It's in great condition and only been taken out of the box maybe twice.

Lost Cities. If she's more into boardgames, then Summoner Wars.

I have another question about Pathfinder storage....

K so I should keep the adventure cards in their respective decks until I get to that adventure, then mix it with the previous.

What about cards from the character add-on set? And what about cards from the class-decks? Does anyone know? Thanks :)

fenners

Any one know if there's going to be any Black Friday Sales, on board games?

Preferably, an online store.

FFG's online store usually have an online clearance the day before Thanksgiving. Won't be "big" successful games in it, mind. It's definitely *clearance* for a reason, but there's sometimes the odd bargain.

Phthisis

FFG's online store usually have an online clearance the day before Thanksgiving. Won't be "big" successful games in it, mind. It's definitely *clearance* for a reason, but there's sometimes the odd bargain.

My friend picked up Horus Heresy for $25 a couple years ago from that sale, and that game is awesome. We would never have played it otherwise, and it's now one of his favorite games.

Toma

Just played my first session of Brügge/Bruges.

There are some issues with the visibility of the scoring system, but man that was fun. The dynamic of those mechanics intereracting and the care they put into giving each element and person its distinct feel is really something. I didnt expect that when opening the box, and was a bit bewildered at the map at first.

Good stuff, definitely going to pick up the expansion.

Phthisis

There are some issues with the visibility of the scoring system, but man that was fun. The dynamic of those mechanics intereracting and the care they put into giving each element and person its distinct feel is really something. I didnt expect that when opening the box, and was a bit bewildered at the map at first.

[whisper] My favorite Feld game *ninja vanish*

Toma

[whisper] My favorite Feld game *ninja vanish*

Good to have you here, mr. Brügge fan.

I looked over the expansion and the new elements all seem a bit off and I wonder whether I should buy it at all. They all seem to make individual decisions less important by giving more ressources (money and workers, less "uuuh I only have 1 of this, where can I best use it-decisions) or making the game a bit more luck dependent. The stock market (or whatever its called) cards increase the luck percentage by randomly assigning bonusses for each round to certain activities, which you cant influence or plan. Say a card allowing free building of houses, one player who did that last turn, and another player who does it for free in the next turn. Thats a huuuuuge advantage and also pushes the players more to any given predefined strategy than their own.

It also seems to screw with the balance of the other elements, since the canals are now way stronger than they were before. Additionally, there are new cards which allow accessing the discard pile, which a) leads to stronger card combos and b) more time investment for that round if a player goes through 50 cards of the discard pile.

Whats your opinion on this? I am considering staying vanilla actually, since the expansion seems to mess with the balance and tactical decisions quite heavily. I usually love buying expansions though :(

Lyng

Fantastic game. nuff said

Lyng

No one who can comment on the expansion? (see post above yours)

I cant. Mainly because it seemed redundant to me. There are enough options in the game, adding even more seems to me, it would remove the tension from the game.

Toma

I cant. Mainly because it seemed redundant to me. There are enough options in the game, adding even more seems to me, it would remove the tension from the game.

Yeah, thats the impression I got from going over all the elements of the expansion, but it seems so horribly besides the gameplay feel of the vanilla version that I am curious whether someone liked it. I mean.. there must be a reason for it gameplay wise and it cant be completely bad,can it?

Xater

I have not played the Bruges expansion either. Can't comment on it. If I had the game I'd probably get it though just for the 5th player module. A number I often play with.

Mista Koo

That's GAF's Feep on TableTop :O
I like the new thematic cuts, but they're edited in sloppily. Also missed opportunity not having the colored backgrounds match the player's colors.

Woah, my Dice Masters mini mat got featured on BGG's Geek Weekly, I feel so honored :eek:
It's way prettier than all the ones I've seen.

Blank!

-Hive
-Jaipur
-Agricola All Creatures

My girlfriend and I enjoy Marvel's Legendary deck building game. It's a little more straight-forward than Dominion and we enjoy the semi-cooperative nature of it. Makes for some fun "awww, thanks darling" or "you asshole!" moments. With all the Marvel movies recently she even understands/knows some of the characters/interactions.

Neverfade

Played KoNY last night. Definitely a huge upgrade for us.

Also more plays of Pandemic: The Cure and Seventh Hero, both still great. Tried The Cure on standard: got whooped.

Game looks beautiful and interesting.
It's weird. I love the artwork and the theme, but it almost feels like there is no competition for anything. I know Wil said it was cutthroat, but I didn't feel that at the one time I played it. It's something I'd play again, for sure, but I don't really feel the need to own a copy.

Experien

It's weird. I love the artwork and the theme, but it almost feels like there is no competition for anything. I know Wil said it was cutthroat, but I didn't feel that at the one time I played it. It's something I'd play again, for sure, but I don't really feel the need to own a copy.

I remember seeing a review saying it was so laid back and uber casual...then I played it and while it is simple enough for casual players to easily join, there is something deceptively deep about this game. I can see some cutthroat in this since it happened to me.

Faiz

I think it definitely comes down to the players. Wil talks about how J and Chris shouldn't even be trying to get paintings, but they were just because he was the artist. In the right group of people, I can see people staying out of each other's way completely. But with cut throat players... It gets cutthroat.

Lost Cities. If she's more into boardgames, then Summoner Wars.
My girlfriend and I enjoy Marvel's Legendary deck building game. It's a little more straight-forward than Dominion and we enjoy the semi-cooperative nature of it. Makes for some fun "awww, thanks darling" or "you asshole!" moments. With all the Marvel movies recently she even understands/knows some of the characters/interactions.

Appreciate the suggestions. We both really got into Dominion a year or two ago. Purchased most of the expansions, too. I've been looking into Summoner Wars, but I'm not entirely sure she'd like it. It might be too serious for her. Dominion is more generic in my eyes. Guess I could get a starter deck so I don't waste my money. I'll look into Marvel's Legendary deck building game too.

I dropped by my local comic and gameshop and ordered Agricola: All Creatures and Rivals of Catan. Should be here by Friday next week and I'm very excited to play them. I'm still on the lookout for Jaipur, Summoner Wars, Lost Cities, and Small World if anyone has a used set to sell or trade for Android: Netrunner or some blu-rays.

That's GAF's Feep on TableTop :O
I like the new thematic cuts, but they're edited in sloppily. Also missed opportunity not having the colored backgrounds match the player's colors.

The production does seem to have been ramped up this season but the editing hasn't gotten that much better. The cut at the end of the episode that cuts Will off mid sentence was terrible.

Karkador

Banned
I don't know if I would go as far as to call Tokaido "cutthroat". I mean, it's not a game you're going to lose your friends over, nor does it feel like an overly mean game; not anymore so than a worker placement game. Doing things just to get in the way of others is probably going to weigh heavily on your own point-scoring plan.

I do like Tokaido, though. I got hooked on it a while ago by playing it online at BoardGameArena, because it only takes about 30 minutes to play, and I just wanted to try it again right after. Thinking about the different ways to maximize your trip and rack up the most points is definitely what makes the game for me, but it's light and simple enough to play with people who are not deep into the hobby.

Xater

Heard lots of talk about Sentinels of the Multiverse before so ?I thought ?I'd give it a shot with the iOS app. What a waste of money. This game is terrible. I am not talking about the implementation, I just think Sentinels sucks.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Appreciate the suggestions. We both really got into Dominion a year or two ago. Purchased most of the expansions, too. I've been looking into Summoner Wars, but I'm not entirely sure she'd like it. It might be too serious for her. Dominion is more generic in my eyes. Guess I could get a starter deck so I don't waste my money. I'll look into Marvel's Legendary deck building game too.

I dropped by my local comic and gameshop and ordered Agricola: All Creatures and Rivals of Catan. Should be here by Friday next week and I'm very excited to play them. I'm still on the lookout for Jaipur, Summoner Wars, Lost Cities, and Small World if anyone has a used set to sell or trade for Android: Netrunner or some blu-rays.

Rivals of Catan is good. I used to play the old Catan 2 player game SO much back... 15 years ago lol.

Where do you live? (With regards to netrunner)

Karkador

Banned
Heard lots of talk about Sentinels of the Multiverse before so ?I thought ?I'd give it a shot with the iOS app. What a waste of money. This game is terrible. I am not talking about the implementation, I just think Sentinels sucks.

IMO the game has okay things about it, but a lot working against it - the gameplay is fiddly, it's really hard for two players, and the artwork is atrocious. It's a wonder how it's so popular.

Lyng

IMO the game has okay things about it, but a lot working against it - the gameplay is fiddly, it's really hard for two players, and the artwork is atrocious. It's a wonder how it's so popular.

I Think Its popular because it lets you play a superhero. And every ability has Its own art.
Its easy and fast to set up.
And the art is not THAT bad. I mean Its not as horrible as Ascension. (And that is popular aswell)
I enjoyed Sentinels for about 10 games and then never played it again. Main problem to me is the fiddlyness. As a hand management game Its okay.

I wish someone would make a great superhero game. (Dont say Legendary, that game is lazy art and fiddlyness galore)

Top Bottom