• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Zalasta

I love negotiation in games so I am really glad I can get it now for not that much money. I got Cosmic Encounter as my negotiation game but that is still too mechanic in the way that it doesn't seem to work the way this game does since basically anything goes here. Also my group is into economic stuff so it seems to be a better fit in that way as well.

Quo Vadis is a pure negotiation game. Not my thing so I always avoided it like the plague, lol.

Random observation. Lately it seems like more and more prominent reviewers are hating on Euros. Luckily I don't see that reflected in BGG rankings with incredibly well designed Euros still doing well there.

They hate Euros or they simply haven't give favorable reviews to some new Euro titles? I frankly just get whatever sounds good, reviewers and BGG have burned me with their glowing reviews. My tastes don't line up with anyone but my own.

Karkador

Banned
Never heard of Quo Vadis before. A negotiation game by Knizia? WAT?

It's one of my favorite games of his that I've played.

You are trying to move your family members along different tracks, trying to get to the "inner circle", but you often need votes from other players to move forward, which means hard negotiations to " help us both out", but really just helping yourself in the long run. Knizia games are often accused of being "themeless", but I think the theme of politics comes off quite well in this game.

Also, wow at that news. You can't take Monopoly out of board games, after all :p.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Merger usually is not a good thing as it eliminate competition but I can imagine the small profit margin in the board / card games business.

It's probably going to be real good for European gamers, where Asmodee has stronger distribution power, and getting FFG stuff other there has been problematic at times.

How it affects the US side of things will be interesting to see. Have to wonder how it's going to work with licensed products which FFG has alot of. Star Wars and such, will they be allowed to do as they wish now with SW outside the US too or will they contractually be limited on stuff like this?

I see the merger being a good thing, if they're merging for the reasons stated in the press release (access to each other's networks, resources)

It's not really a monopoly because they both produce board games, but not the same board games. The only people that could "possibly" be hurt are the smaller publishers if this merger was meant to do something like what the major beer distributors do in the U.S., bully for shelf space %.

Xater

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Merger usually is not a good thing as it eliminate competition but I can imagine the small profit margin in the board / card games business.

So far Asmodee hasn't wronged me so I am not worried about this.

They deliver high quality games for good prices and have great customer support.

It's probably going to be real good for European gamers, where Asmodee has stronger distribution power, and getting FFG stuff other there has been problematic at times.

Exactly, Heidelberger always seemed a bit too small for FFG, like they struggled to keep up. I mean just look at Cosmic Encounter. That game took 6 years to come out in German. Doubt Asmodee would have let that happen.

Phinor

How it affects the US side of things will be interesting to see. Have to wonder how it's going to work with licensed products which FFG has alot of. Star Wars and such, will they be allowed to do as they wish now with SW outside the US too or will they contractually be limited on stuff like this?

I have a feeling it's going to be bad for European gamers. I mean, it depends on whose opinion you ask, but for those of us who buy FFG stuff from bookstores at much less than RRP, it's probably bad news. FFG have most of their games available via bookstores and even use ISBN system, Asmodee on the other hand don't do that so their games are always full RRP. So it really depends on how they change things with distribution etc.

This all would obviously solved if we (if you can use 'we' in this case because Europe consists of so many countries) had something like Coolstuffinc/Cardhaus/etc. but we don't.

Interesting news in any case. I just don't know what either company really gains from this. If distribution was an issue, that's fixable without merging. We'll see..

edit: Oh right, localization. I never thought of that because I'd never buy a localized game. I guess that's a valid issue especially in Germany, France and other countries.

Xater

I have a feeling it's going to be bad for European gamers. I mean, it depends on whose opinion you ask, but for those of us who buy FFG stuff from bookstores at much less than RRP, it's probably bad news. FFG have most of their games available via bookstores and even use ISBN system, Asmodee on the other hand don't do that so their games are always full RRP. So it really depends on how they change things with distribution etc.

This all would obviously solved if we (if you can use 'we' in this case because Europe consists of so many countries) had something like Coolstuffinc/Cardhaus/etc. but we don't.

Interesting news in any case. I just don't know what either company really gains from this. If distribution was an issue, that's fixable without merging. We'll see..

edit: Oh right, localization. I never thought of that because I'd never buy a localized game. I guess that's a valid issue especially in Germany, France and other countries.

En Asmodee games are available for less than RRP here as well. Must be an issue where you live.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoooo one day away from flying to bgg.con. :D

Packing a few games since I'll be spending the week after in Phoenix: KoNY, Netrunner (BGG tournament, maybe), and some small stuff like Sushi Go.

Rubius

Holy shit indeed. Asmodee is now an absolute juggernaut. Wonder what that will mean for Heidelberger. Will they now lose all the FFG stuff? I wouldn't mind because Asmodee is probably way quicker at bringing stuff over.

This is great for people in Europe. I also hope this mean better multi lingual stuff in Quebec. The first expansion of Eldritch Horror is not even out in French yet. Would be easier for my french groups to play.

Phinor

En Asmodee games are available for less than RRP here as well. Must be an issue where you live.

Well yes, it's an issue of where I live. Especially in smaller countries actually finding a store that ever has stock AND sells below RRP is pretty hard. It's not limited to Asmodee by any means, it's every game/publisher that isn't available through (online) book stores.

Obviously if you happen to have a nice store selling for less than RRP in your country, it's not much of an issue. Personally I just don't like this merger because I can see how their new distribution plan could lead into game prices going up 20-40% in many European countries, but obviously not in every country.

zulux21

It's the Wil Wheaton effect. Any game that gets featured in an episode of put Table Top immediately goes for crazy money. This even happens with games that were relatively ignored a few weeks prior.

LOL at the amazon prices... I should totally try to sell my copy with the expansion for $75 right now :p

but yeah it's an ok game, the expansion helps as it gives some choice to the game at least... it's a good game to play while having a converstation... bad game to pull out with people who have to try to win as hard as they can though... it's very zen and people stalling out to try to plan out 20 turns knowing full well they will have to change their plans by the next turn just isn't fun.

also wow at asmode merging with everyone @_@

LOL at the amazon prices... I should totally try to sell my copy with the expansion for $75 right now :p

but yeah it's an ok game, the expansion helps as it gives some choice to the game at least... it's a good game to play while having a converstation... bad game to pull out with people who have to try to win as hard as they can though... it's very zen and people stalling out to try to plan out 20 turns knowing full well they will have to change their plans by the next turn just isn't fun.

also wow at asmode merging with everyone @_@

Lol, not a game to play with my in-law then. She is hyper-competitive and go crazy when she think someone is trying to block her in Ticket to Ride. The game is pretty and I just read up on expansion which really seems to offer more strategy to the base game. Should be fun game at X-mas party with drinks.

Some friends got me Eldritch Horror as a birthday present (Halloween birthday :3 )

So I sat down last night to figure out how to play it. Its pretty fun, its a bit more manageable to learn in one or two sittings then Arkham Horror, and its more involved then Elder Sign (I really liked Elder Sign a lot).

Looking forward to playing it at the next board game night.

EYEL1NER

I've got to get back on night shift so I can share 12 straight hours of time at work with my coworker, because we won't be able to get a game of Descent in otherwise. After two games of MtG and two games of BattleCon War (and the explanation of how to play War), we somehow burned through 4 hours. I am still hyped up to play it though. I might suggest next Monday maybe starting a game and then leaving it set up in the day room until the following week (assuming one of the cleaning ladies doesn't bump into the table while vacuuming and disrupt everything).

Cfh123

Does anyone have experience playing Mice and Mystics with young children?

I have been thinking of introducing my 5 year old twin boys to board games. I know they will like the mouse figurines. But the box indicated 7 years plus. They can't read yet (they are in kindergarten). The game is expensive - $80.

Any other recommendations for board games and young children? I'd prefer a thematic game - nothing too abstract. One of my boys loves superheroes but they are too young for anything complicated.

fenners

Any other recommendations for board games and young children? I'd prefer a thematic game - nothing too abstract. One of my boys loves superheroes but they are too young for anything complicated.

I think you're right to worry about Mice&Mystics being too much too quickly for them.

I had success with my five year old boy (now six) with King of Tokyo - largely ignored the cards at first & modified the rules that three cubes could be exchanged for a point of health, but he thoroughly enjoyed it (and still does). Lots of theme, lots of great artwork. I think this is exactly what you're looking for to be honest.

Monza (by Haba) is a kids' racing game that plays a little like Formula De - roll dice to figure out movement around a track. Another huge hit.

Pitch Car is way expensive, but it's absolutely solidly built & a massive hit with every one of his friends that we've introduced it to.

Carcassonne was a great way to introduce "following the rules" for tile laying, taking turns etc. We rarely play it for points, even now, instead using it as a co-operative "let's build huge fucking castles & roads".

Frank's Zoo - card game featuring progressive ladders of sets. Introduces pecking order & trumps. Big family hit.

"Survive! Escape from Atlantis". No reading at all, lots of cute wooden sharks/whales to eat people with. Big family hit. Dripping with theme.

Slacker

I agree with Fenners on Mice & Mystics. I got it for my then five-year-old for Christmas last year, but he just didn't have the attention span to make it through the game without being called back to the table a lot. I'm still planning on playing through it with him, but we'll start sometime next year after he turns seven.

In the meantime I second fenners's recommendation for King of Tokyo. It's my son's most requested game by a mile. He also really likes Sushi Go, Incan Gold, Camel Up, Survive, Zooloretto, and Ticket to Ride (without the destination tickets). I think he's right on the verge of getting Takenoko too.

BTW, enjoy the good times coming your way. It's wild watching little kids start to learn these games. At some point you can tell something is clicking in their head when they realize how to play on their own. I hadn't realized how much my son was getting it until I watched him teach someone else how to play Get Bit. I explained the rules, but Junior would point out to his friend why he playing a certain card, and why the friend may want to do something else, etc. I knew that he was familiar with how to play, but it took me by surprise that he was thinking about his decisions as much as he was. Actually it surprised me that he was thinking about them at all. ;)

Angst

Asmodee is on a merger / aquisition spree lately.

First they buy/merge with Days of Wonder in August (http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/33352/asmodee-buys-days-wonder), now they're merging with Fantasy Flight Games. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5212

So now Asmodee has 7 Wonder, Ticket to Ride, Netrunner, Eclipse, the Star Wars games and several other big games. What's next? Asmodee "merging" with Hans im Glück to get their mittens on Dominion.

I don't know how to feel about this, if it was video games we were talking about this would have spelled the coming doom of the smaller games and microtransactions everywhere, but I feel board games are different though and as for now it looks like bot DoW and FFG are going to operate as usual.

I don't know how to feel about this, if it was video games we were talking about this would have spelled the coming doom of the smaller games and microtransactions everywhere, but I feel board games are different though and as for now it looks like bot DoW and FFG are going to operate as usual.

FFG has been making the board game version of microtransactions for awhile. They take things that should be in the base game and package/price them seperately. I can't stand it.

FFG has been making the board game version of microtransactions for awhile. They take things that should be in the base game and package/price them seperately. I can't stand it.

The only one I can think of are the Lieutenants pack for Descent. But you can't really expect them to include all that miniatures in there for the price of the base set. If they have all the figures the set would be close to $140-150. I am not saying it is not lame when you play Descent and pull out the little token for the mini-boss. I just have just finished playing through solo game of Death on the Wing and it was pretty anti-climatic to face Belthir in all of his cardboard token glory.

jySzqZRl.jpg

Speaking of solo game, the D6 Overlord by Nerdook actually work pretty well so far. It does take away the element of surprise (since you know what Overlord card is coming at you) but the system is quite competent if you play them to always try to complete objective. This is the first time I play Death on the Wing scenario and it was pretty rough for the heroes (I also gimp the heroes by choosing the B-team).

R4sFZajl.jpg

I lost the first scenario (probably should have just race through the end of the canyon), and with the team pretty beat up and then having to let Overlord go first pretty much doom the second quest. The Overlord quickly plow through the guards and the game end in about 3 turns.

c04kX3Zl.jpg

Mista Koo

So I finally played Fearsome Floors with more than 3 and it's awesome. With 3 players one person losing multiple characters in one round is a common thing, with 5 players the havoc is more fun. We even joined forces and killed our own characters to stop one guy from winning.
I did not expect people to think too much about their moves though, since I mainly picked it as a family game and to coincide with Halloween (we played it before and after Halloween!).

Played Libertalia for the second time, which was better than the first since I knew what to expect. It's a decent game, it has some randomness (with tie breaks and such) but decent take that moments. Some guy held a grudge on me and targeted me in the game of Cosmic Encounter we moved on to!

Oh and I got to play King of New York. To everyone's surprise it gave me the same feeling as King of Tokyo. I'm not saying they're the same game, in fact I love all the new mechanics. They just gave me the same feeling (especially since I died without doing much just like in KoT).

I also played Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, the map is definitely the cruelest which is a perfect follow up to playing TTR: Europe with my sister.

Alternatively, maybe Batman Love Letter is the comic book card game we've all been waiting for...
Can't believe this is a real thing. Is Batman the princess??

EYEL1NER

I'm not the biggest fan of abstracts but I couldn't pass up a great deal on Maharani with the expansion tiles. I think this is my first Queen Games game as well. The games beautiful and vibrant colors drew me in. I first saw it and thought "This board and these tiles just look fantastic, I must own it." Same thing as when I saw Yggdrasil, except reading about Yggdrasil made me desire that one even more (I enjoy a good, hard co-op). I don't know much about Maharani other than that it looks great and has not been rated that much.
Seems that the weight on BGG is only 2.1 too. When I am home in a couple weeks I hope to sit down and play it with my wife if she is up to learning it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tried Magna Grecia yesterday, that game has HORRIBLE visual design, the gameplay is decent, but not all that... fun because its way too mathematical. First game I played in a while that disappointed me:

There are also games that are less convoluted and complicated in their rules, go for the same base idea and even turn out to be more complex overall. I was really reminded of Settlers of Catan with the way players can be cut off and more points are gathered for connecting cities.

Faiz

The only thing I can get behind this statement on, maybe, is dice.

When character/unit abilities could end up asking you to roll more dice than is included in the box, something is wrong. Chucking a few more dice into the box isn't going to raise the price that much.

But looking at something like Descent where there's already a ton of minis in the box, and including more instead of tokens would see the price raise dramatically... This is fairly understandable to me.

I DO think, however, they could offer some sort of "lieutenants expansion big box", instead of piece-mealing them out into seperate packages.

Experien

Working on a foamcore for one of the Shadows of Brimstone boxes...I just wished I didn't glue the wings on the Harbinger :(

It is pretty basic but outside of the Harbinger, I think it will keep set-up really quick.

My local comic/game shop got Rivals of Catan in. My girlfriend and I had an easy time picking it up and she whooped my butt. I can definitely tell it's going to be a game we will be playing for awhile.

Still have Android: Netrunner that I'm looking to trade for these games:
-Jaipur
-Small World
-Lost Cities
-Boss Monster
-Agricola All Creatures
-Carcassone Expansions

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My local comic/game shop got Rivals of Catan in. My girlfriend and I had an easy time picking it up and she whooped my butt. I can definitely tell it's going to be a game we will be playing for awhile.

-Jaipur
-Small World
-Lost Cities
-Boss Monster
-Agricola All Creatures
-Carcassone Expansions

great choice

Karkador

Banned

-Jaipur
-Small World
-Lost Cities
-Boss Monster
-Agricola All Creatures
-Carcassone Expansions

Rivals is a pretty interesting game, indeed.

Out of your wishlist, Agricola All Creatures miiiight be the best choice (especially if you're into these 2-playerfications of multiplayer games)

Working on a foamcore for one of the Shadows of Brimstone boxes...I just wished I didn't glue the wings on the Harbinger :(

It is pretty basic but outside of the Harbinger, I think it will keep set-up really quick.
I'd love to see a few pics of your final layout when you're done. Seems like a game that could benefit from a foamcore insert.

Phthisis

-Jaipur
-Small World
-Lost Cities
-Boss Monster
-Agricola All Creatures
-Carcassone Expansions

Boss Monster isn't great with 2, IMO. I would say your best pick from this list is Agricola All Creatures Great & Small.

-Jaipur
-Small World
-Lost Cities
-Boss Monster
-Agricola All Creatures
-Carcassone Expansions

Jaipur is good.
Lost cities is flavorless as fuck, but it's ok.
Small world works better with more, it's a fine game.
Boss monsters is boring.
Agricola is good 2p game

If you play mostly 2p I'd also recommend the full Agricola game or Hive

great choice
I wasn't sure if it was a good choice for my girlfriend until she started trash talking. Great choice, indeed.
Rivals is a pretty interesting game, indeed.

Out of your wishlist, Agricola All Creatures miiiight be the best choice (especially if you're into these 2-playerfications of multiplayer games)

Boss Monster isn't great with 2, IMO. I would say your best pick from this list is Agricola All Creatures Great & Small.
I was suppose to purchase Agricola All Creatures along with Rivals of Catan, but the game shop misunderstood and ordered the expansion instead. I'm just going to pick it up from Barnes & Noble when I go home for Thanksgiving.

The more reviews I watch or read about Boss Monster, the more it seems blah. I'll hold off.
Jaipur is good.
Lost cities is favorless as fuck, but it's ok.
Small world works better with more, it's a fine game.
Boss monsters is boring.
Agricola is good 2p game

If you play mostly 2p I'd also recommend the full Agricola game or Hive
Appreciate the suggestions. I'm all for narrowing the list and getting the best games. I'll strike Boss Monster and Lost Cities off for now. I may strike Small World off as I am targeting more 2-player games.
Hive is fantastic.
I'd like to give the physical game of Hive a shot. The android version doesn't have AI play, so I didn't get a good feel for the game.

Slacker

Hive is really good. I have the pocket version, which comes with a couple extra expansion tiles (and is perfect size IMO).

And I'll throw in a vote of support for Lost Cities. It's flavorless, sure, but it's good fun for a quick 2p game.

Boss Monster is deceptively dull. It looks great, and the mechanics seem interesting, but then you play it and there's just not much there to draw you back in for another game.

Thumbs up for Agricola Great and Small and Jaipur too.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Man,

I never knew how rampant piracy was in the table top world. Or PNP of commercially available games. Whatever you want to call it :/

Man,

I never knew how rampant piracy was in the table top world. Or PNP of commercially available games. Whatever you want to call it :/
What are you seeing? I would think that the time and money needed to PNP a boardgame is pretty high. It would be easier just to buy it instead of making your own copy.

Top Bottom