• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess we'll have to keep waiting for AF

latest

After Da Black Goku season...

AF was always so mysterious back in the day. Always heard whispers but never anything conclusive....then when I finally got of age I figured out that it was fake lol. It was an umbrella of ideas and concepts...various designs from various people. My first real introduction to Fan Fiction actually.

The only DBZ fan created material that I've seriously loved is the wonderful DB Absalon by Mellavelli

The dedication is palpable. I hope everyone can at least appreciate the earnest effort put into the project. Super stoked for the continuation of the actual series. I know myself and a few close friends are happy GT is finally completely absolved.

Shauni

Damn, just seeing that Dragonball stops being dubbed after like episode 5 on Hulu. Hm, I may just have to go and get the DVDs. DB was one of the few animes where I just never enjoyed watching the original language for some reason.

That is a sad way to look at stuff like Fan Fiction. Its because of that kinda passion and love that has kept Dragon Ball going strong and us getting a new series.

Granted I don't get involved with DB Fan Fiction, but they certainly have my sheild lol.

I disagree with this completely. I'm not going to derail the thread talking about fan fiction but Dragonball has plenty of passionate fans who have no interest in fan fiction.

Regardless of the legal problems with Fan fiction and the moral issue of using other peoples work without consent the vast majority of it is badly written tripe. If it's not mary suing or slash fiction it's completely ignoring established universal constants and characterizations.

Then you have the problems that arise when large numbers of people start to believe things like AF are real.

NeonZ

Seems to be like GT was: Toriyama will be in charge of designing and establishing the main characters and the overall plot, and Toei will take it from there.

Toriyama made the initial designs for GT, that's it. He had nothing to do with the initial premise.

Also, what you're saying is kind of misleading. It's confirmed that Toriyama is handling the premise and initial designs, but so far it isn't confirmed that he won't be doing anything else afterwards (although that could still happen). It has been mentioned that he'll be "overseeing" the series too though.

I disagree with this completely. I'm not going to derail the thread talking about fan fiction but Dragonball has plenty of passionate fans who have no interest in fan fiction.

The artist they got to draw the 3 chapter manga introduction to RoF (and who also draws the official DB Heroes manga) became famous thanks to a Dragonball AF doujin. Whatever problems you see with derivative fan works clearly don't bother the actual owners of the franchise.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Toriyama made the initial designs for GT, that's it. He had nothing to do with the initial premise.

Also, what you're saying is kind of misleading. It's confirmed that Toriyama is handling the premise and initial designs, but so far it isn't confirmed that he won't be doing anything else afterwards (although that could still happen). It has been mentioned that he'll be "overseeing" the series too though.
Quoting for emphasis. As it stands right now, we don't know if Toriyama will be involved past character design/premise. Could be a yes/no.

Basketball

What I liked about Gt

- SS 4 Design .. concept of using the tail to transform
- Grown up Bra ( Vegeta Dad moments)
- Dragon Balls becoming final enemy (Concept not execution), ending of using DBs for 1000 years or whatever it was
-Super 17 looked pretty cool but I have no Idea how he kept up with SS4

O yeah on a side note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXKJco85Pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmU9e67EfmI

Hating on pure awesomeness... whats wrong with some of you

Ishida

Banned

That's worrying.

jstripes

Banned
Broly was good for what he was, a short one off villain that beat people up. His character can't carry a saga and his appearances after the 1st movie exposed him as even more of a one trick pony.

The 1st movie was the correct way to use him, he was just the muscle, a chained up beast for the actual villain in Paragus. Where the movie faltered badly was how they finally dealt with Broly and his motivations for being crazy.

I don't know what it is about certain Dragon Ball fans where they want every character to be super-muscular and full of rage.

The artist they got to draw the 3 chapter manga introduction to RoF (and who also draws the official DB Heroes manga) became famous thanks to a Dragonball AF doujin. Whatever problems you see with derivative fan works clearly don't bother the actual owners of the franchise.

This is a little misleading.

You make out like he was hired because of his AF doujin. He was hired by Shueisha because he could replicate the dragonball art style well and they were doing a Spin Off manga from Dragonball Heroes.

He is clearly a skilled artist.

Derivative works bothering the owners or not isn't even part of him working on the RoF manga. He was hired by the production company of those mangas (not the license holders of the Dragonball or AT) to replicate the art style of dragonball in Licensed mangas.

I don't know what it is about certain Dragon Ball fans where they want every character to be super-muscular and full of rage.

It's funny too, because Toriyama has made it clear that he doesn't like designing the strongest guys as the biggest and buffest. That's why Vegeta is smaller than Nappa, that's why Freeza's final form is like 4 feet tall, that's why the Androids were an old man, a fat man, and two teens (and 16), and that's why the greatest evil the universe had seen was a fat pink blob who's true form was the size of an 8 year old. When you look at the two main villains that are actually really large, Cell and Super Buu, they are just tall, not bulky.

Takao

Banned
Isn't the new movie getting released in English only a few weeks after Japanese?

That's certain to be another limited engagement theatrical run, though. Things might align to where Super airs in Japan around the same time we get RoF. If that's the case, a lot of people are going to be lost.

That's certain to be another limited engagement theatrical run, though. Things might align to where Super airs in Japan around the same time we get RoF. If that's the case, a lot of people are going to be lost.

All they've said is that it's coming to US theaters this summer, they haven't used the word limited. It will likely still be technically a limited release, but probably on a larger scale that BoG. Either way they're gonna wanna get DBS out in the west as fast as possible, especially with Dragon Ball games suddenly being big again with Xenoverse being a massive success, don't want the games to have stuff that hasn't shown up in the dub yet. If they can't get a simuldub I think they will try to get RoF out in June/July and get the dub of DBS out by early September.

NeonZ

This is a little misleading.

You make out like he was hired because of his AF doujin.

He was hired by Shueisha because he could replicate the dragonball art style well and they were doing a Spin Off manga from Dragonball Heroes.

Nah, I clearly said that he became known due to it. And, yes, known for replicating AT's art, which in turn leads to him getting a job where he needs to do that. I don't see where there's a problem with what I wrote.

Derivative works bothering the owners or not isn't even part of him working on the RoF manga. He was hired by the production company of those mangas (not the license holders of the Dragonball or AT) to replicate the art style of dragonball in Licensed mangas.

Shueisha is the only other entity with any power over the Dragonball brand aside from Toriyama himself. Even Toei just has a license that could be snapped up if they wanted to go after another company for the animation (although that'd never happen for many reasons).

"An enemy even stronger than Buu or Freeza may appear...”

You don't say...

Hope it has better writing than Z, atleast in the matter of letting people not named Goku win major battles without help. Also throw humans a fucking bone.

Shauni

It's funny too, because Toriyama has made it clear that he doesn't like designing the strongest guys as the biggest and buffest. That's why Vegeta is smaller than Nappa, that's why Freeza's final form is like 4 feet tall, that's why the Androids were an old man, a fat man, and two teens (and 16), and that's why the greatest evil the universe had seen was a fat pink blob who's true form was the size of an 8 year old. When you look at the two main villains that are actually really large, Cell and Super Buu, they are just tall, not bulky.

I don't know why, but I laughed at this. I know it's spot on, but just reading it, I don't know...it seems hilarious.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Got back from work and saw this.

Best day.

This has been so long coming that it's shocking that they didn't do it 15 years ago. It turns out that, yes, Toei and Akira Toriyama do like money.

Takao

Banned
All they've said is that it's coming to US theaters this summer, they haven't used the word limited. It will likely still be technically a limited release, but probably on a larger scale that BoG. Either way they're gonna wanna get DBS out in the west as fast as possible, especially with Dragon Ball games suddenly being big again with Xenoverse being a massive success, don't want the games to have stuff that hasn't shown up in the dub yet. If they can't get a simuldub I think they will try to get RoF out in June/July and get the dub of DBS out by early September.

that has happened multiple times
most recently with battle of z, the game prior to xenoverse
prior to that it was with raging blast 2's inclusion of tarble

Man I still can't believe this isn't some sick April Fools joke. Hype at max.

If anyone cares to join me by adding Goku hair to their avatar, here is a handy pic (also I am happy to add it for you):

LwcaMVdt.jpg

that has happened multiple times
most recently with battle of z, the game prior to xenoverse
prior to that it was with raging blast 2's inclusion of tarble

Battle of Gods was a movie and all signs point to Fox being the reason it took so long to come out here, Battle of Z came out a year after BoG's Japanese release and if it weren't for Fox we likely would have gotten BoG before BoZ. Yo Son Goku never came out in the west because it was made for Jump Tour.
BoG was a massive hit for Funi and they got the rights for DBZ movies from Fox so they could get RF out quicker. They are probably also looking to try and get DBS out as quick as possible too as it will be a huge money maker. Toei and Shueisha are also probably very aware that DBZ is big in the west again and it would be beneficial for them to have it release in the west quickly after it starts in Japan.
There is little doubt in my mind that DBS will start in America specifically not long after it does in Japan. If not simultaneously then probably after about 10 or so episodes.

That's worrying.

I dunno, I think that's still okay. As long as he keeps things feeling kosher, and others reign Toriyama in on his lesser ideas I think it should turn out alright. I think other people can write good Dragon Ball as long as Toriyama is there to ensure everything feels satisfying to him and his particular vision.

params7

Banned
Man I still can't believe this isn't some sick April Fools joke. Hype at max.

If anyone cares to join me by adding Goku hair to their avatar, here is a handy pic (also I am happy to add it for you):

LwcaMVdt.jpg

I don't have any editing software. Plz put it up on mine plz god. Edit the ratio as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom