• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
Uh, didn't Roshi go head to head with complete Piccolo? There's no way he was near SSJ3. Or even regular Saiyan for that matter.

Kamesennin went head to head with just piccolo daimou, which is half of the original namekian that landed on earth (kami being the other half). The full original namekian has never been shown in the show, only in glimpses in flashbacks. What is being proposed is Kami + Ma Jr + Nail + Piccolo Daimaou, which would assuredly be the strongest namekian ever.

We have never seen Kami + Piccolo Daimaou. We have seen Kami + Ma Jr + Nail, though.

Caayn

I wonder if they will go this route with exploring all of the other potential Gods that were mentioned.
Wait those are the other gods of destruction, besides Beerus, that live in the other universes? Never seen them before. Wonder if they all got an attended that's stronger than themselves like Whis is stronger than Beerus.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Heh, Tenshinhan dodges an eye beam from Gero, stops Cell 2nd form for a while, something the androids couldn't do, doesn't immediately fall over to the Cell Jrs and at least exchanges one punch with them, and in the Buu Saga stops the blast from Buutenks that was about to kill Dende.

I guess it's debatable, but the only argument for him being only around Ginyu force or Freeza form 2 level is that everyone suddenly holds back when he's near, which is fairly ridiculous too.

Wasn't the blast from buutenks he stopped aimed at killing Goku?

sibarraz

Banned
The mafuba never worked and Tien got thrown into Yamcha territory right after that fight. It's the DB formula. Goku fights someone equally as strong as him. He beats them, or barely loses, and Goku's opponent gets taken out in two seconds by the next villain to show how strong they are. Krillin managed to stay somewhat relevant due to not doing much of anything in Dragon Ball so he never had that Goku's main opponent curse. The second-tier guys get a few moment to shine. But, the second tier is constantly pushing old characters down when people like Vegeta, Piccolo and the half-saiyans became second tier.

Outside of the Cell saga, they were mainly just stalling for Goku the entire time.

Tenshinhan always was portrayed as the most capable human fighter of the series, who will appear to stop cell/buu while goku/gohan were recovering.

Krilin survived more but he always looked like a joke, tenshinhan was a great fighter who had the bad luck of being outshined for all those aliens. Heck, he still could say that defeated goku clean as sheet

Wait those are the other gods of destruction, besides Beerus, that live in the other universes? Never seen them before. Wonder if they all got an attended that's stronger than themselves like Whis is stronger than Beerus.
It's just fan art.

I do share the hope that this series will feature the other Gods though. I know this is ridiculously lame but it'd be great if the Gods could travel with representatives from their Universes as well, maybe a good way to show that GT is an alternate universe and watch Super Saiyan 4 get stomped by Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

HardRojo

It's just fan art.

I do share the hope that this series will feature the other Gods though. I know this is ridiculously lame but it'd be great if the Gods could travel with representatives from their Universes as well, maybe a good way to show that GT is an alternate universe and watch Super Saiyan 4 get stomped by Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

It'd be really nice if Toriyama released official artwork of the rest of the Gods.
By the way the series in Japan will be called Dragon Ball Chou (Super). Super Saiyan is called Chou Saiyajin (Saiyan) in Japanese so yeah, you get the where the Chou apparently comes from.

i've changed my avatar in excitement you guys
image.php
/DEAD

Pro

Hope the English dub has the same voice actors otherwise I'm probably out. Can't ever imagine different voices for Goku/Vegeta. It was pretty bad having Bulma's voice change in Battle of Gods.

TreIII

Kamesennin went head to head with just piccolo daimou, which is half of the original namekian that landed on earth (kami being the other half). The full original namekian has never been shown in the show, only in glimpses in flashbacks. What is being proposed is Kami + Ma Jr + Nail + Piccolo Daimaou, which would assuredly be the strongest namekian ever.

We have never seen Kami + Piccolo Daimaou. We have seen Kami + Ma Jr + Nail, though.

Yeah. Depending on whether you follow the anime or the manga, the original Namek would have either handed Freeza his ass easily, or would have been more than enough to take on a SSJ.

Reuniting all aspects of Piccolo can make all the difference between putting him back into a much more competitive range again. And, hey, if it does make him go deliciously "Evil!" for a spell, it'd might give Gohan reason to man up again.

Hope the English dub has the same voice actors otherwise I'm probably out. Can't ever imagine different voices for Goku/Vegeta. It was pretty bad having Bulma's voice change in Battle of Gods.

BoG Bulma was Kai Bulma. They'll continue to use the current Kai/BoG cast.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What this series needs is more Tarble.
No. Best to forget him.

From the mouth of someone who loves useless motherfuckers like Yamcha and Krillin, it's best to leave Tarble behind.

GaimeGuy

Well I guess this should be expected after they started making movies again. Have they confirmed if Toriyama considers this new stuff canon yet? And does it fall between the new movies or after? I'll probably check it out but modern Toei is really terrible, all things considered.

Son Goku and his Friends Return, Battle of Gods, and Revival of F are all canon, as they were written, or at least storyboarded/screenplayed, by Toriyama (GT was not). Since he'll still be the ideas/scenario guy on the new series, it's probably canon, too.

Malajax

Huh. Didn't even notice. She did a good job. Hell, they all did a good job. The dub nowadays is great.

Never thought I'd say that 15 years ago.

TreIII

No. Best to forget him.

From the mouth of someone who loves useless motherfuckers like Yamcha and Krillin, it's best to leave Tarble behind.

Nah. He's the only other pure Saiyan left (not to mention the only one left with a tail), and he provides a nice contrast to Kakarott and Vegeta. At worst, he'd be another gag character, at best, he'd give another dimension to Vegeta, because the latter is a "family man" now, and seemingly much more receptive to the presence of his weaker brother.

Just tell me Toriyama is not writing this.
Nope, but
Reuniting the franchise’s iconic characters, Dragon Ball Super will follow the aftermath of Goku’s fierce battle with Majin Buu, as he attempts to maintain earth’s fragile peace. Overseen by Dragon Ball’s original creator, Akira Toriyama and produced with Fuji Television, Dragon Ball Super will draw on its historic past to create a bold, new universe welcoming to fans and endearing to new viewers.
Reading is your friend.

Seems to be like GT was: Toriyama will be in charge of designing and establishing the main characters and the overall plot, and Toei will take it from there.

Toriyama designed a few characters and worlds for the first arc of GT, that was it. This sounds like he'll be more hands on and actually contribute to the plot.
$10 that Demigra is one of the ultimate villains of this new series.

0 chance of that happening, Demigra is a non canon villain made for a game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, I can only really handle the dub.

Probably the only anime ever I feel that way about.
I felt the same way as you guys originally, but Goku's original voice grows on you in a weird way. It reflects his innocence and purity really well. I know you've probably heard that a thousand times by now, but I was purely #americangoku for a long time.

JP/EN DBZ both have really apparent strengths/weaknesses to their characterization. Best not to leave one as a definitive and enjoy them both for what they are.

Crocodile

Nah. He's the only other pure Saiyan left (not to mention the only one left with a tail), and he provides a nice contrast to Kakarott and Vegeta. At worst, he'd be another gag character, at best, he'd give another dimension to Vegeta, because the latter is a "family man" now, and seemingly much more receptive to the presence of his weaker brother.

That we currently know of

DUN DUN DUN............
DUN

prwxv3

Really shitty animation, due to very cheap budget despite having really popular shows.

the animation quality is the least of its problems to be honest (though still horrible). The pacing is worse. They have average a episode per chapter. Let me say it again EPISODE PER CHAPTER.

mazpratim

the animation quality is the least of its problems to be honest (though still horrible). The pacing is worse. They have average a episode per chapter. Let me say it again EPISODE PER CHAPTER.

Dragon Ball Super won't have that problem since there's no manga that they need to worry about catching up to

Mory Dunz

I felt the same way as you guys originally, but Goku's original voice grows on you in a weird way. It reflects his innocence and purity really well. I know you've probably heard that a thousand times by now, but I was purely #americangoku for a long time.

JP/EN DBZ both have really apparent strengths/weaknesses to their characterization. Best not to leave one as a definitive and enjoy them both for what they are.

Same.
As a kid I watched toonami DBZ first, so I heard his JP voice later and at first I was like...why does he sound like a girl (yeah).

But it does grow on you and you start to like it. I probably like them both equally now.

Still, I could understand if someone grew up with Schemmel's voice, that they could be put off by it.

Ray Down

Banned

Well we don't have to fear with that with this.

Pacing might be shit though.

I don't expect it to be good, but I'm still excited just because it's Dragon Ball.

1) They need to balance the Dragonballs somehow, I don't even care how. From now on, if someone dies they should stay dead.

2) Find someway to make Tien/Krillin more relevant which isn't just through side villains. If it is done through side villains then at least make it good, don't half arse it.

3) Take a note from Hunter x Hunter and don't over-rely on the main protagonist. Goku doesn't need to be forced into every fricken fight.

4) Bring Gohan back, jesus. Please. He's always been the potential freak in the series, lets see uncontrollable rage Gohan again, lets see him surpass his "limits" - Have someone kill Videl in front of him or something.

5) Power-scaling more consistent please

oh what am I kidding, all of these aren't happening

GaimeGuy

Per chapter? More like per half chapter.

Astral Dog

:O i never thought i would see the day, i was hyped but then i remembered Battle of Gods wich was not very good imo.
Lets wait and see. a missed oportunity that Revival of F
is not a predule to this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom