• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

convo

I guess that means that Toei is not going to continue to do the Toriko anime seeing as this will likely take priority....

of course it could still happen but the chance is quite slim...... hopefully Toei will drop the Toriko licenses

They dropped the ball on the Toriko anime so hard it fell to the center of the planet. Soma is gonna be the shonen jump food show now.

Alric

So I guess we'll have to keep waiting for AF

latest

Ishida

Banned
I hope you're joking Ishida

Nope. I'm dead serious. Loved pretty much everything about GT, from the characters, the music, the shorter battles, the plot (kid Goku >>>>>>> Adult Goku), the FANTASTIC ending (Better than anything Toriyama could think of), etc. =D

Astral Dog

An enemy even stronger than Frieza!, how that can be...

:p

Nope. I'm dead serious. Loved pretty much everything about GT, from the characters, the music, the shorter battles, the plot (kid Goku >>>>>>> Adult Goku), the FANTASTIC ending (Better than anything Toriyama could think of), etc. =D
Music was very nice, Bebi is a strong villain (except for how he dies) Black Dragon was fun. meeting new characters DB style was nostalgic. everything else was very bad.

Beth Cyra

ugh Super Saiyan 4 was such an awful look and i'm glad its not canon any longer

SSJ 4 is the best transformation in the series.

Also removing things from Canon shouldn't be celebrated, that is always a really sad thing to do to rub that in face of people who like it.

Plus at this point he might as well remove SSJ 3 from Canon given how they have pretty much screwed that over as well.

Darkangel

Very hyped for this.

I wonder if they will call it "Super Dragon Ball" in the west. "Dragon Ball Super" sounds a little awkward to me.

SSJ 4 is the best transformation in the series.

Also removing things from Canon shouldn't be celebrated, that is always a really sad thing to do to rub that in face of people who like it.

Plus at this point he might as well remove SSJ 3 from Canon given how they have pretty much screwed that over as well.

Not even comparable. GT was never part of the manga, The new movies were a continuation of the manga. SSJ3 is in the manga, there is no reason to remove it just because it drains so much power that Goku won't use it anymore, that's like saying that Kaioken or USSJ should be removed from canon.

Takao

Banned
Yeah but, this is a brand new Dragon Ball TV project. It's several orders of magnitude higher in fan excitement than something like a dub of Kai.

That's actually why I'm doubtful it'll get a simuldub. If Toei wouldn't allow Funimation to do that for something as low key as Kai, why would they allow them for Super? There's also the question of where this takes place relative to the events of a movie that hasn't launched in most of the world.

Astral Dog

But atleast this is good, the movies, while fun had a short time to tell a full story with awesome battles, DB Super can potentially be the best Dragon Ball related thing we have in 18 years.

That's actually why I'm doubtful it'll get a simuldub. If Toei wouldn't allow Funimation to do that for something as low key as Kai, why would they allow them for Super? There's also the question of where this takes place relative to the events of a movie that hasn't launched in most of the world.

The is no question
Following the recent events of the hit feature film, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, Dragon Ball Super will debut in Japan in July 2015.
From the press release.

Beth Cyra

Not even comparable. GT was never part of the manga, The new movies were a continuation of the manga. SSJ3 is in the manga, there is no reason to remove it just because it drains so much power that Goku won't use it anymore, that's like saying that Kaioken or USSJ should be removed from canon.

IM not saying it should be removed. I'm saying Toriyama might as well given how he treats it as a red headed step child and never lets it do anything.

Moaradin

Isn't the new movie getting released in English only a few weeks after Japanese?

Ishida

Banned
An enemy even stronger than Frieza!, how that can be...

:p

Music was very nice, Bebi is a strong villain (except for how he dies) Black Dragon was fun. meeting new characters DB style was nostalgic. everything else was very bad.

Well, personally I don't agree. All of the Dragon Ball series have their flaws, but I really liked what they were trying to pull with GT, and they succeeded in my opinion. Loved how the first half was goofy, full of adventure, exploration and discovery like in the original, and how the second half "switches gears" for a more DBZ-like experience.

Beth Cyra

i too want Anime Hulk whose origin story and motivation was "i'm still angry about the time I cried as a baby" to be canonical

They can fix his back story.

As it stands Broly is a cool design and with a huge fanbase. They took elements of Bardock and made him canon, so I can totally get behind them using the good elements of Broly and tossing out the bad ones.

Astral Dog

Well, personally I don't agree. All of the Dragon Ball series have their flaws, but I really liked what they were trying to pull with GT, and they succeeded in my opinion. Loved how the first half was goofy, full of adventure, exploration and discovery like in the original, and how the second half "switches gears" for a more DBZ-like experience.
As a kid loved it too, but trying to re watch it... its difficult :p
oh well.

TreIII

That we currently know of

DUN DUN DUN............
DUN

Pfft.

But hey, if the likelihood of Bardock coming out of nowhere eventually (especially if he's on that "Masked Saiyan" tip, like in DBO/Heroes) is a thing, then who knows how many other "survivors" there may be for the Saiyan race, out there.

Ishida

Banned
As a kid loved it too, but trying to re watch it... its difficult :p
oh well.

This happened to me with DBZ.

In fact, the only one that I can actually re-watch from beginning to end is the original series.

GT has the advantage of being short, at the very least. I highly doubt I could go over the Frieza saga again....

Alric

Right, right. Can someone explain this shit to me? For years I saw this image floating around, what actually is it?

Some guy drew it as part of his Fanfic called Dragonball AF.

Then loads of people particularly latinos and some man children jumped on it and started swearing on their mum it was legit.

Everyone else with common sense knew it was bullshit. Didn't stop school children talking about it all the time or it spreading like wild fire. It's produced a tonne of related material.

I can't think of big fan fiction to be honest.

Always seemed super dumb to me but fandoms will fandom.

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/fans/dragon-ball-af-origin-revealed/

Broly was good for what he was, a short one off villain that beat people up. His character can't carry a saga and his appearances after the 1st movie exposed him as even more of a one trick pony.

The 1st movie was the correct way to use him, he was just the muscle, a chained up beast for the actual villain in Paragus. Where the movie faltered badly was how they finally dealt with Broly and his motivations for being crazy.

Karsha

What if this ends up with Goku losing the blue aura and going to train with Uub leading to the first episode of GT, will people cry? Ahahaha

Beth Cyra

Then loads of people particularly latinos and some man children jumped on it and started swearing on their mum it was legit.

Everyone else with common sense knew it was bullshit. Didn't stop school children talking about it all the time or it spreading like wild fire. It's produced a tonne of related material.

That is a sad way to look at stuff like Fan Fiction. Its because of that kinda passion and love that has kept Dragon Ball going strong and us getting a new series.

Granted I don't get involved with DB Fan Fiction, but they certainly have my sheild lol.

RiamuBME

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/fans/dragon-ball-af-origin-revealed/

It never got me as potentially true due to his strange dress, very indigenous style. But I have seen stranger things be true before.

Glad to hear that this was nothing more than fan fiction.

Pro

BoG Bulma was Kai Bulma. They'll continue to use the current Kai/BoG cast.

Makes sense. I never watched Kai. Love my original Funimation dub. New Bulma doesn't seem as spastic as original Bulma. So long as Goku and Vegeta are the same I'll be good and all the other voices those two do.

Tansut

Does anyone remember a rumor of something called Dragon Ball Vertigo or Dragon Ball V back in the early 00s? A friend of mine found it somewhere and was initially certain it was a new show coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom