• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Goku was changed to Zero
Bulma was changed to Lena
Oolong was changed to Mao Mao
Yamcha was changed to Zedaki
Puer was changed to Squeaker
Kuririn was changed to Bongo
Lunch was changed to Marilynn
Tenshinhan was changed to Shinto
Korin was changed to Whiskers the Wonder Cat
Crane Hermit was changed to Lord Wu Zu
Shenlong was changed to Dragon God

Whiskers. The. Wonder. Cat.

Sami+

Is Hironobu Kageyama still singing or did he retire? Most of the new DBZ Kai openings and endings have been shitty - Toei is obviously more interested in advertising girl bands than finding "appropriate" theme songs for Dragon Ball.

I really hope they can get him back for Super. We Gotta Power is god tier.

Burst Limit and all the Budokai theme songs are pretty ballin too so he's still got it.

https://youtu.be/ROcEFYYRVZk?t=14m32s

I didn't know this dub existed on the internet

lol why are they talking so fast

Takao

Banned
Is Hironobu Kageyama still singing or did he retire? Most of the new DBZ Kai openings and endings have been shitty - Toei is obviously more interested in advertising girl bands than finding "appropriate" theme songs for Dragon Ball.

Kageyama is still active, it's just that JAM Project moves far fewer singles than flavour of the month idol group xyz.

I don't know where it ranks of the "iconic" tier list but, "I've become the Prince of all Sayians once again" (though Sabat voices Vegeta at that point) still sends chills down my spine. So good <3

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2anb2_vegeta-goes-super-saiyan-ocean-dub_fun

The Kai Dub and maybe the Buu saga are really the only English dubs worth watching.

The uncut Ocean/Geneon/Funimation dubs of the first three movies are solid work.

What the hell.. Is that?

That definitely isn't the funi dub

That's the original Funimation dub of Z produced with Vancouver based voice actors.

I actually didn't know that :p
to be fair I haven't seen much of dbz in japanese, I just recalled krillin's voice being odd. Quite frankly even if the voice is exactly the same for the two it wouldn't feel right at all for krillin, one of the main reasons I can stand luffy is because one piece in general is a lot more cartoony and thus over the top voices aren't nearly as bothersome.

But Krillin is Luffy. And Luffy is Krillin.

The same VA is also Yajirobe right? Because if it is, that's his best character. Yajirobe was really funny in the original series. I wish there was more of him in Z.

Don't get why they made him sound a bit like a surfer in the dub.

I dont think Vegeta actually gives many fucks about saiyan stuff. I know he was always bragging about it in the dub anime but at least in the manga the only saiyan's he ever seems to care about is himself and Goku. No fucks given about his parents, Nappa, Raditz, his brother, or any saiyan culture/customs outside of fighting. He is like Goku, actually he seems better than Goku because at least he somewhat cares about his family.

Indeed, he was pretty much infatuated with Goku.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The thing is other writers have been given a try, and we got the 13 original movies and that newest Bardock special.

Honestly, I'll take AT over any of that any day.

Especially since in the original script Beerus was going to be lizardlike and was the cause of the Saiyans turning evil until AT stepped in and changed it.
That sounds awesome, though.

Well, maybe one of the other multiverse gods is a lizard now.

NeonZ

That sounds awesome, though.

Well, maybe one of the other multiverse gods is a lizard now.

Here's what's known about the plot of Battle of Gods before Toriyama stepped in:

Was it difficult to create the strongest foe ever in Beerus?
Actually, I had been thinking since before that perhaps the Saiya had had evil planted in their hearts by someone. That was Beerus, God of Destruction, from this [movie]; it was something that I&#8217;d been thinking about since way, way back, so I managed it relatively quickly.

He&#8217;s not only scary, but a god who also has a screwy side to him.

That was an element created entirely by Toriyama-sensei. I can&#8217;t write that. I felt that that kind of character, where you&#8217;d be in serious trouble if you came in contact with his wrath, was really like him. I had made Beerus more of a bad guy, and a kind of story where everyone is taken over and given an evil heart, but Toriyama-sensei in his way apparently felt that, &#8220;It&#8217;s after the earthquake, so I want it to be, not a tragic story, but a positive one,&#8221; and it came to have its present form.

I thought I&#8217;d do a story where the enemy appears at a party on Earth when Goku&#8217;s not there, and there&#8217;d be big trouble; in the original plot, I wrote Kuririn and No. 18&#8217;s wedding, but in the story that came back from Toriyama-sensei, it had changed to Bulma&#8217;s birthday party. I think, with regards to Kuririn and No. 18&#8217;s wedding, it&#8217;s probably something that he wants all the fans to imagine for themselves.

I guess it could be fun if you wanted something more serious, but it seems like it'd be pretty much a rehash of the Baby Saga, with Goku returning to Earth only to find everyone controlled by the new villain.

That evil Beerus likely would have been surpassed by Goku and killed off in the same movie too, since I can't see that kind of character just stopping like the actual Beerus did.

Here's what's known about the plot of Battle of Gods before Toriyama stepped in:

I guess it could be fun if you wanted something more serious, but it seems like it'd be pretty much a rehash of the Baby Saga, with Goku returning to Earth only to find everyone controlled by the new villain.

That evil Beerus likely would have been surpassed by Goku and killed off in the same movie too, since I can't see that kind of character just stopping like the actual Beerus did.

The Beerus we got is amazing and I'm really glad Toriyama stepped in. I love how he is basically a perfect representation of a cat and he's a really fun character and pretty unique among the other Dragon Ball characters.

DB wiki says they changed it from May 9th to May 13th because in Japan, 9 is considered an unlucky number and they wanted to keep that connotation in the dub.

Oh that's actually kinda interesting, then.

The Beerus we got is amazing and I'm really glad Toriyama stepped in. I love how he is basically a perfect representation of a cat and he's a really fun character and pretty unique among the other Dragon Ball characters.

Agreed. Better than just another purely evil villain. His personality is a perfect fit.

VariantX

Yeah, I definitely prefer this Beerus and want to see more of him in the future.

IMO the only thing that was better in the original script was Beerus being the reason the Saiyans were evil, because I can see it making the Super Saiyan God ritual make sense as a sort of counter-spell meant to reverse the evil or something. In the final version, the ritual just comes completely out of nowhere and is completely arbitrary.

TreIII

IMO the only thing that was better in the original script was Beerus being the reason the Saiyans were evil, because I can see it making the Super Saiyan God ritual make sense as a sort of counter-spell meant to reverse the evil or something. In the final version, the ritual just comes completely out of nowhere and is completely arbitrary.

But on the same token, giving another handwave to the Saiyans by saying "oh, they weren't so bad, after all, it was THIS guy who was the cause of that!" would've been even more hackneyed, in my opinion.

It's the main reason I'm glad we got the Beerus we got, silliness of the ritual aside.

NeonZ

Dragonball timeline in the anniversary site...

http://db30th.com/into/into_nenpyo.html

It mentions the new movies and the end of Z, but there's no GT. In spite of the illustrations, it's also not a manga-only timeline, and mentions some of the filler too, like Garlic Jr, although there's a "star" mark for those, separating them from the manga events. However, even so, it doesn't mention GT or anything GT related at all.

So, more evidence that Dragonball Super might take place post-End of Z.

Sami+

The Saiyan god ritual was silly because it was just some arbitrary thing they could have done like ten years prior and it would have made their lives way easier lol. Spit balling here, but what if instead of a weird Saiyan ritual where they hold hands or whatever, they just say that in order to become a true god you need to have your ki converted by an already existing god like Beerus or Whis? A Super Kami Guru-esque power-up, where your final power level after the boost is completely up to you as an individual rather than the new form itself.

Maybe those few minutes spent trying to figure out how to become a SSJG could have instead gone towards doing some tests of character or something to prove to Whis and Beerus that Goku is worthy of being a god. Some competition between him and Vegeta could have been a lot of fun, fitting the tone of the rest of the movie just fine. Then later down the line Goku could do the same ritual on the other Z-fighters (putting them in the same league omg holy shit) and there would be a gag where Whis gets pissed at him for abusing his powers and yells at him for it or something.

I dunno. I really didn't like the Saiyan thing lol.

Blader

The Saiyan god ritual was silly because it was just some arbitrary thing they could have done like ten years prior and it would have made their lives way easier lol.

I thought about that too, but actually, was there any other point in the story where there were six Saiyans on Earth? It's always been five at the most by my count.

I thought about that too, but actually, was there any other point in the story where there were six Saiyans on Earth? It's always been five at the most by my count.

1/ Get Chi Chi pregnant.
2/ Trap her in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber for a few hours.
3/ ???
4/ Profit!

Sami+

I guess, though if they knew about it I can only assume Vegeta would whore himself out and be good to go in a year LOL

DarkKyo

1/ Get Chi Chi pregnant.
2/ Trap her in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber for a few hours.
3/ ???
4/ Profit!

There's gotta be some kind of side effect to being born in the HTC. Like if you left there finally and went to Earth you'd perceive the universe as being much much slower or something.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

It mentions the new movies and the end of Z, but there's no GT. In spite of the illustrations, it's also not a manga-only timeline, and mentions some of the filler too, like Garlic Jr, although there's a "star" mark for those, separating them from the manga events. However, even so, it doesn't mention GT or anything GT related at all.

&#9734; Vegeta starts to special training for become Super Saiyan in the gravity room. The bloomers begin remember the love in sight.
&#9734; Goku and Piccolo, go to driving school to take the license of Eaka.

Fuck I love google auto translate

CryptiK

It being POST DBZ was never in question. It is literally said it will be Post Z

ChouGoku

The Saiyan god ritual was silly because it was just some arbitrary thing they could have done like ten years prior and it would have made their lives way easier lol. .

Just like the ROSAT? IIRC in the manga the only limit is 2 days at a time, they couldve used it hella times prior to the cell saga

It's been like two weeks

jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

Sami+

Just like the ROSAT? IIRC in the manga the only limit is 2 days at a time, they couldve used it hella times prior to the cell saga

Well with the RoSaT they justified it a bit by saying spending time in their is torturous and that it almost killed Goku as a kid. Makes sense that they don't use it much.

ChouGoku

Well with the RoSaT they justified it a bit by saying spending time in their is torturous and that it almost killed Goku as a kid. Makes sense that they don't use it much.

Maybe in part one, but by the time post Vegeta and Nappa the RoSaT shouldve been cakewalk for any of the Z senshi

NeonZ

It's not 2 days at a time. It's two days overall, two people at a time. The anime didn't change the rules.

You could also throw there the super holy water, considering how by DBZ dying really isn't a big problem, it'd be worth a shot for anyone.

It's not 2 days at a time. It's two days overall, two people at a time. The anime didn't change the rules.

You could also throw there the super holy water, considering how by DBZ dying really isn't a big problem, it'd be worth a shot for anyone.

Super Holy Water is painful and there is no guarantee you will get stronger. Goku's power ups were a struggle man. Gohan got that casual friendly guru and kai power up.

Looking at this

con_ph09.png

makes me hope that we get lots of new Main Characters, since the old cast does indeed look a bit old.

Well Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo haven't aged, and we have the new generation with Trunks, Goten, Uub and Pan, they could also throw in Bra and Maron if they want, then on top of that we have Beerus and Whis. That feels like a good number of characters for the main cast, throw in a few new ones and we're good.

Sami+

I'm really glad Beerus is super popular with the rest of the fanbase too. He's one of my favorite characters, which was the last thing I expected going in.

Looking at this

con_ph09.png

makes me hope that we get lots of new Main Characters, since the old cast does indeed look a bit old.

Really? The only characters who are too old in this pic are characters who have long stopped participating in the battles anyway. The Saiyans are still all in top forms, including Pan and Bra. Uub is just dying to be used in a new story.

I think the only one who might be too old is Krillin, but they could pull off a DB Online and have him be the new Turtle Hermit.

NeonZ

Looking at this

The characters ended up younger looking than before in RoF though. I'm pretty sure that if the new show is post EoZ we'll get a small timeskip and everyone (well, specially the humans) will be redesigned again to be younger looking, rather than using the end of Z designs. Kuririn would cut his mustache and go bald once again, and suddenly his wrinkles would vanish alongside those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom