• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChouGoku

Any one ever think about how these new movies gave Oob a HUGE power boost at the end of the manga? Hurting base Goku at the end of the series puts him multiple levels above any version of Boo, even Boohan.

Sheroking

Found it strange that Uub was even able to re-incarnate or that Cell went to hell since they were unnatural creations.

Android 16 never got move on. I would hope they would have used the extra wish at the end of Cell to revive him if they could.

NeonZ

I don't really get the whole idea of Majin Buu randomly reincarnating into a human boy who's ridiculously powerful or whatever.

Toriyama retconned Buu's origin, which might be tied to the new series if the show really is post-EoZ.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/saikyo-jump-june-2014-issue-twel-buu-mysteries/

Though in the manga Kaiōshin said that Bibidi made him, the truth is that one called “Buu” was not actually created by Bididi, but has existed since time immemorial. He cycled between rampages and long hibernation. During numerous iterations of this cycle, he absorbed the evil elements of mankind, becoming steadily more violent. Bibidi merely knew the means of calling Buu from out of his long slumber. Since the current Buu is a slightly different life-form due to the changes brought about when the evil Buu was expelled, it’s not known whether he’ll still go into long hibernation.

So, the Kid Buu that we see wasn't the original untainted Buu, but Buu corrupted by absorbing humanity's evil through the ages. Buu originally wasn't evil at all(which makes Uub being good make more sense), and it seems like he had some ties to humanity from the start, which might have some relation to him being reborn as a human.

Also, he has already used part of that new backstory in his stories (Mr.Buu hibernates during RoF).

Uub is the reincarnation of this guy right?

dbz18.jpg

Was his power level? I honestly don't remember.

Skii

Any one ever think about how these new movies gave Oob a HUGE power boost at the end of the manga? Hurting base Goku at the end of the series puts him multiple levels above any version of Boo, even Boohan.

Nah, Uub has the same potential as Kid Buu, no more. That's why I really dislike the ending of DBZ now as all the movies and new series are going to ridicule what happened. At best, we can just say that Goku was fighting at the level he knew would be enough to get Uub angry, that's it. No way should Uub be matching SSG Goku as it is completely inconsistent with his creation.

NeonZ

Nah, Uub has the same potential as Kid Buu, no more. That's why I really dislike the ending of DBZ now as all the movies and new series are going to ridicule what happened. At best, we can just say that Goku was fighting at the level he knew would be enough to get Uub angry, that's it. No way should Uub be matching SSG Goku as it is completely inconsistent with his creation.

Well, there's that retconned origin for Buu now. We never saw the actual original Buu before absorbing humanity's evil, so we don't know how strong that form of Buu would be, and Uub would be closer to that than to the Kid Buu we saw since all the evil would be cleansed before reincarnation.

LX_Theo

Banned
You dub fans are missing out on these little quirks Goku as a character has. The dub completely ignores this. Schemmel also sounds like a normal joe which is completely different from Japanese Goku who sounds like a person that was raised in the woods. When Goku speaks you can tell he's a hick. In the dub he sounds nothing like that. He sounds just like a regular guy.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHiVpoS5JzY

They made Goku sound like a proper gentleman that knows romance with his proposal when in reality it was anything but that. These things alter his character.
Good voice acting doesn't make the voice any more tolerable, fitting, and not terrible.

They should have changed his voice actor. Simple as that.

zulux21

So are the dub fans going to wait for the dub or will you guys also watch the sub as it comes out?

I don't have much choice in the matter, listening to dragon ball in Japanese literally makes me physically ill. I get a headache after about 5 minutes and start getting nauseous after about 10. I've never pushed it farther.

Goku's voice is just that grating to me in Japanese (a number of the other voices don't help either... poor krillian).

ChouGoku

Oob had 1 fight in the whole manga, how is it inconsistent with his creation? For all intents and purposes we had no clue how strong Goku was at the end of the manga, all these movies do is give us a gague. And db is about breaking limits and why would Kid Boo be his limit?

EDIT: I love the japanese dub, I havent watched kai but American dub goku in the original series made Goku into a different character. A better english voice for Goku is definitely the abridged version

ChouGoku

Oob was fighting base Goku and hurting him to some extent. Considering after BoG base Goku got a huge upgrade and would be able to handle the entire cast of Dragonball by himself (including his past incarnations) hurting a powered up, paying attention Goku is kind of a huge fuckin deal

EDIT: entire cast means excluding everything prior to the Bog movie. Db chapter 1-end of Boo arc

Guri

You dub fans are missing out on these little quirks Goku as a character has. The dub completely ignores this. Schemmel also sounds like a normal joe which is completely different from Japanese Goku who sounds like a person that was raised in the woods. When Goku speaks you can tell he's a hick. In the dub he sounds nothing like that. He sounds just like a regular guy.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHiVpoS5JzY

They made Goku sound like a proper gentleman that knows romance with his proposal when in reality it was anything but that. These things alter his character.

The same video, but in Brazilian Portuguese. Our dub was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF_EiO2zq3s

And his transformation to Super Saiyan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWyzGRuF618

LX_Theo

Banned
Would something like this really be an improvement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vjS81bgRo

Now, that's just a parody, but Goku has a really distinctive accent in Japanese and a male voice actor still would need to stick with it.

Improvement, yes.

Goku's japanese voice might as well be screeching and bleeding ear drums at the moment.

That, I would need to hear actually done seriously for some key scenes before I got behind it or not... but its undoubtedly an improvement.

KHlover

Banned
Found it strange that Uub was even able to re-incarnate or that Cell went to hell since they were unnatural creations.

Android 16 never got move on. I would hope they would have used the extra wish at the end of Cell to revive him if they could.
Boo was retconned by Toriyama iirc. Boo wasn't actually created by Bibidi, Bibidi just created the incantation to awaken him.

Tesseract

Banned
vegeta got a taste of healthy valiance when stalling for goku's buu-y spirit bomba, that's why i don't hate goku or vegeta

the dudes who keep getting up are married
it all comes down to sex

#dbs2015

Really? I can't think of any fight. I remember Goku getting angry when Krillin died, but it didn't help him at all.

He was hungry, and usually when he's hungry he can barely even walk. But yeah, it wasn't really too much of a thing in the original Dragon Ball, but throughout Z we see anger making pretty much all of the Saiyans get stronger, it was the only way for them to even go Super Saiyan for the first time... until Goten and Trunks in the Buu arc...
But we also see Buu get more powerful from rage throughout the Buu arc, so I don't see why that wouldn't apply to Uub when he has access to the same power but just doesn't know how to access it. Goku made him get angry to put some of that power out, makes sense to me.

Takao

Banned
Honestly, I don't recall other dubs Vegeta to have some memorable phrases like, "Muere insecto" or "Eres una sabandija".

For better and for worse, I'm pretty sure Drummond's Vegeta has some of the most memorable lines the character has ever spoken.

ChouGoku

Using anger to tap into your power has been a thing since the original Dragon Ball...

Nah thats definitely a part 2 thing. IIRC the first time anger was used as a power up was Gokus fight against Freeza. The only time anger helps is during everyone's initial SSJ power up and Gohan's SSJ2 power up.

I'm surprised Vegeta never bestowed Sayian names on Gohan and co. Or went with "OFFSPRING OF KAKAROT".
I dont think Vegeta actually gives many fucks about saiyan stuff. I know he was always bragging about it in the dub anime but at least in the manga the only saiyan's he ever seems to care about is himself and Goku. No fucks given about his parents, Nappa, Raditz, his brother, or any saiyan culture/customs outside of fighting. He is like Goku, actually he seems better than Goku because at least he somewhat cares about his family.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So I just watched BoF and .. What? I need some explanations.

As a whole I think the movie is not very well written nor choreographed, but the part I didnt understand is how Goku got that power boost. He absorbs or collects Saiyan powers from the other guys, and when he loses them suddenly he can go toe to toe with Beerus for what reason? And then he can go SSJ but not SSJ 3?

Why does he get to keep SSJ God powers and seemingly use them whenever? Should I just watch RoF for some clarity?

ChouGoku

Has it ever been mentioned where Bills ranks among the other "Gods" of the DB Universe?
Well he got north Kaio shook, even after knowing how strong Goku was. Unless their is a God of creation hes probably top dog.
So I just watched BoF and .. What? I need some explanations.

As a whole I think the movie is not very well written nor choreographed, but the part I didnt understand is how Goku got that power boost. He absorbs or collects Saiyan powers from the other guys, and when he loses them suddenly he can go toe to toe with Beerus for what reason? And then he can go SSJ but not SSJ 3?

Why does he get to keep SSJ God powers and seemingly use them whenever? Should I just watch RoF for some clarity?
Goku Absorbed the power boost of the SSJG transformation. Why? Because hes fucking Goku thats why. Just reread the 21s tenkaichi budokai and Goku has a history of perfecting techs or even improving them after just using them once.

Yazuka

So I'm actually not alone in disliking Goku's Japanese va? My god.
I thought I'd never see the day. I Really, really can't stand her voice. At least when she does Goku, Gohan or Goten.

KHlover

Banned
Which brings up a similar issue of how Bibidi even found out about Buu in the first place.

We got no official explanation for that, so all we can do is speculate. Maybe he actually wanted to summon some other demon and created the incantation for Boo by accident? Maybe he sensed the evil in Boo's capsule when he floated through space in his hibernated state? Maybe Bibidi just got lucky and the capsule just happened to crash land on his planet? We'll probably never know.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well he got north Kaio shook, even after knowing how strong Goku was. Unless their is a God of creation hes probably top dog.

Goku Absorbed the power boost of the SSJG transformation. Why? Because hes fucking Goku thats why. Just reread the 21s tenkaichi budokai and Goku has a history of perfecting techs or even improving them after just using them once.

So its just bad writing then. A power that could only be achieved through a ritual can then be accessed 5 minutes later by himself.

Pretty bad.

ChouGoku

So its just bad writing then. A power that could only be achieved through a ritual can then be accessed 5 minutes later by himself.

Pretty bad.

Yea, its kind of like the Saiyan transformation itself. A super special alien prophecy transformation, that can only be met when someone in a barbaric alien race gains somewhat of a heart, and gains an ungodly battle power (even 100k is much more than the average being in the dbu let alone the avg saiyan) Then can be accessed by even the most pampered of saiyans (Goten and Trunks). Toriyama is not really a good writer tho, I feel like after the red ribbon army saga he just made shit up as he went along (something that he admits to during the Android saga).

Toriyama's strengths never came from writing. He made his rep from his art and fight paneling, which are still some of the best in the business.

Huh, he found out during one of Buu's rampages? I don't see an issue.

We got no official explanation for that, so all we can do is speculate. Maybe he actually wanted to summon some other demon and created the incantation for Boo by accident? Maybe he sensed the evil in Boo's capsule when he floated through space in his hibernated state? Maybe Bibidi just got lucky and the capsule just happened to crash land on his planet? We'll probably never know.
According to Toriyama, Buu's always been on Earth. He'll pop up and rampage for a bit, and then go back to sleep. It bugs me that Toriyama retconned his original origin of "Bibidi made Buu," because to me it's a bigger issue that Bibidi made a magical incantation about a creature that just pops up, does shit, and then goes back to sleep on its own.

I dunno why, but it does.
Toriyama's strengths never came from writing. He made his rep from his art and fight paneling, which are still some of the best in the business.
I feel like if Oda wrote, and Toriyama drew, they'd make some good stuff together. I mean, OnePiece isn't without its flaws, but I'd argue he's a better writer than Toriyama.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Honestly, sometimes I wish other writers wrote DB while Toriyama came up with all the fights, art, and characters.

"I want Goku to fight this guy because... give me a reason, other writer guy!"

KHlover

Banned
According to Toriyama, Buu's always been on Earth. He'll pop up and rampage for a bit, and then go back to sleep. It bugs me that Toriyama retconned his original origin of "Bibidi made Buu," because to me it's a bigger issue that Bibidi made a magical incantation about a creature that just pops up, does shit, and then goes back to sleep on its own.

Really? Didn't know about that part. Gotta love Toriyama retcons. So dude goes onto murdering sprees wiping out entire galaxies, gets tired and sleeps on earth. Wakes up and does the same. Dude existed since the beginning of time, so he clearly did this quite often. Never destroyed the earth in billions of years. Then in actual canon Super Boo reverts to Kid Boo (original Boo), who hesitates all about 5s before blowing the earth up. B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l

Really? Didn't know about that part. Gotta love Toriyama retcons. So dude goes onto murdering sprees wiping out entire galaxies, gets tired and sleeps on earth. Wakes up and does the same. Dude existed since the beginning of time, so he clearly did this quite often. Never destroyed the earth in billions of years. Then in actual canon Super Boo reverts to Kid Boo (original Boo), who hesitates all about 5s before blowing the earth up. B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l

Fuck it, maybe I misread it. He said he changed little bits over time by absorbing evil from mankind, so I assume he spent most of his time on Earth. The way the interview made it sound, it seemed like it was a cycle and he existed since the beginning of time, so I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom