• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget shots where the characters mouths are out of the frame/shots of backgrounds while characters talk!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's first batch of episodes made Season 1 of JoJo look like Redline. I could even see it giving that old Black Panther show a run for its money! They've already announced 100 episodes, so they can pack in as much filler as they want, budget-wise.
Probably be on the leve of Gundoh Musashi and Zaizen Jotaro. Dam bomb!
that neogaf cynicism. wow.

this is why we can't have nice things.
It's not really a leap of cynicism when nothing has been revealed and they just announced a premiere a month from now. Let alone Toedi's track record and them being able to come up with compelling original stories. I'm excited, but this news has hampered it a bit.

Zubz

Banned
Probably be on the leve of Gundoh Musashi and Zaizen Jotaro. Dam bomb!

It's not really a leap of cynicism when nothing has been revealed and they just announced a premiere a month from now. Let alone Toedi's track record and them being able to come up with compelling original stories. I'm excited, but this news has hampered it a bit.

The only nouns I understood in that sentence were "Jotaro," "Dam," and "Bomb," and I'm pretty sure none of them are referring to what I'm thinking of.

But yeah, you beat me to the punch. I'm still hyped for this show, but shows normally have, like, trailers, interviews, and other pieces of media/advertising going on right before they come out. With a crazy-popular series like DBZ, we should have been flooded with information months ago. However, the show's only 32 short days away and we have, like, 2 interviews that told us little more than "New show," "new villain," and that Goku's still played by the same, now-80-years-old voice actress that has never not voiced him in Japan.

Plus, Toei ran behind finishing episodes of Sailor Moon Crystal a little while back, too. New episodes would air a month behind schedule, but despite that would be filled with glaring animation errors and off-model characters like this:

sailor-moon-crystal-3.jpg

The original DBZ was bad, but this happened less than a year ago, if I recall correctly. There's no reason we shouldn't be expecting this kind of "quality" animation.

Zubz

Banned
Is it common in anime to announce a new show two months before its air date and not have any promos available?

I mean, JoJo Part 3 had a bunch of trailers before its debut. It's apparently not the norm, but you'd think DBZ would warrant something bigger?

The only nouns I understood in that sentence were "Jotaro," "Dam," and "Bomb," and I'm pretty sure none of them are referring to what I'm thinking of.

But yeah, you beat me to the punch. I'm still hyped for this show, but shows normally have, like, trailers, interviews, and other pieces of media/advertising going on right before they come out. With a crazy-popular series like DBZ, we should have been flooded with information months ago. However, the show's only 32 short days away and we have, like, 2 interviews that told us little more than "New show," "new villain," and that Goku's still played by the same, now-80-years-old voice actress that has never not voiced him in Japan.

Plus, Toei ran behind finishing episodes of Sailor Moon Crystal a little while back, too. New episodes would air a month behind schedule, but despite that would be filled with glaring animation errors and off-model characters like this:

The original DBZ was bad, but this happened less than a year ago, if I recall correctly. There's no reason we shouldn't be expecting this kind of "quality" animation.
Yeah, that and BoG and Rebirth of F showed a certain amount of care to the property. I'm not getting that here, hope I am wrong.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It happens a fair amount for kids shows.
Dragonball is full of sophisticated life lessons and deep, interesting characters. It may not show if you only watch the show in English, but if you listen to the original Japanese seiyuu and have an understanding of Japanese culture and values, you can see that Dragonball is clearly NOT just for kids, and is highly respected among the Japanese population.

/s

Dragonball is full of sophisticated life lessons and deep, interesting characters. It may not show if you only watch the show in English, but if you listen to the original Japanese seiyuu and have an understanding of Japanese culture and values, you can see that Dragonball is clearly NOT just for kids, and is highly respected among the Japanese population.

/s

one or two words are off, but I would hear/read something like this so much years back

NeonZ

Sailor Moon Crystal isn't a tv series though. It's primarily aired online. I really can't see DB Super receiving that treatment, especially with Dragonball growing in importance for Bandai recently.

This will be an abomination, Toriyama making the Dragonball corpse dance since 2008. May the Lord guide Toriyama to make a show not consistent of a retarded monkey/ bad father, and his lifetime jobber price.

If there are any Gohan fans still out there, good fucking luck there with this show, just be happy if he's not getting fucked up by a vegetable once we reach episode 100......

This will be an abomination, Toriyama making the Dragonball corpse dance since 2008. May the Lord guide Toriyama to make a show not consistent of a retarded monkey/ bad father, and his lifetime jobber price.

If there are any Gohan fans still out there, good fucking luck there with this show, just be happy if he's not getting fucked up by a vegetable once we reach episode 100......

Gohan sucks

-MD-

Gohan is wack.

-Eddman-

Gohan injured his pregnant wife while drunk. Motherfucker should be in jail.

zulux21

Being a bad father is in the genes.

to be fair most shonen fathers are bad or non existent/dead

bad fathers
dbz
hunter x hunter
One Piece
Full Metal Alchemist
Attack on Titan

non existent/dead
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Inuyasha
Hajime no ippo
Gurren Lagann
Eureka Seven

bad and non existent and dead fathers
Fairy Tail

actually an ok dad
Bleach
Death Note

I'm not actually sure where this fits
Soul Eater - Maka's Dad
Food Wars -dad was good but then not so much, likely overall by shonen standards a good dad though.

but I agree, goku is a giant dick to his son and in general a terrible father.
Son, I know you are just coming of age, but I don't want to come home and be with you, I want to be in space.
Son, I know I just sacrificed myself to save the world from your screw up, but I am happy being dead and you can just deal with the guilt of killing me. Why don't you just let your mom control you and nerdify you to deal with the fact that you basically killed your father and despite living in a world where that isn't final I don't love you enough to come back.

Deadstar

Figured I'd ask the DBZ pro's in here. So there is still no way to buy the full run of DBZ with the bruce falconer music and in 4:3? Is the dragonbox what I'm looking for? I know it's out of print but wasn't sure if that's what I needed to get.

Sandfox

to be fair most shonen fathers are bad or non existent/dead

bad fathers
dbz
hunter x hunter
One Piece
Full Metal Alchemist
Attack on Titan
Food Wars

non existent/dead
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Inuyasha
Hajime no ippo
Gurren Lagann
Eureka Seven

bad and non existent and dead fathers
Fairy Tail

actually an ok dad
Bleach
Death Note

I'm not actually sure where this fits
Soul Eater - Maka's Dad

but I agree, goku is a giant dick to his son and in general a terrible father.
Son, I know you are just coming of age, but I don't want to come home and be with you, I want to be in space.
Son, I know I just sacrificed myself to save the world from your screw up, but I am happy being dead and you can just deal with the guilt of killing me. Why don't you just let your mom control you and nerdify you to deal with the fact that you basically killed your father and despite living in a world where that isn't final I don't love you enough to come back.

Goku stayed dead because the earth kept getting attacked due to him just living there and Gohan was always a nerd. Also, Yusuke's father shows up in YYH.

zulux21

Goku stayed dead because the earth kept getting attacked due to him just living there and Gohan was always a nerd.

I'll give the androids and freeza to goku, but pretty much everything else was just random chance.

I mean even if we just look at dbz enemy 1 is because he didn't destroy the world not because he was there. enemy 2 was because there were dragon balls not because of goku, in both of those cases the world would have been done without him. and arguably
gero still would have created something like the androids/cell even if goku had been killed off (their purpose was to kill goku and get revenge, but gero wanted lots of power anyways so he would have made something similar). so the only one that goku really gets credit for dragging to earth is freeza, and even then if he hadn't been a dick and not wanted to come home freeza wouldn't have been an issue at all.

It was a flimsy excuse to try to not sound like a huge dick as what he was really saying was, I am going to justify not wanting to raise you by using recent events even though history shows with in the next 10 years some random force will try to take over the planet and if I am not there to stop it they will succeed.

I don't think Soma's dad was bad or nonexistent. He showed up enough to beat his son hundreds of times in shokugekis.

his dad was fine up until the start of the series. He likely could go more into the good pile instead of bad, but he kept so many secrets and in general feels like his goal in life is just to screw with his son. I mean by shonen standards I could see the argument that he is a great dad lol. I'll move him by that logic though.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

let gohan be the nerd he has always wanted to be, the spolight should finally be on good characters instead.

Sandfox

I'll give the androids and freeza to goku, but pretty much everything else was just random chance.

I mean even if we just look at dbz enemy 1 is because he didn't destroy the world not because he was there. enemy 2 was because there were dragon balls not because of goku, in both of those cases the world would have been done without him. and arguably
gero still would have created something like the androids/cell even if goku had been killed off (their purpose was to kill goku and get revenge, but gero wanted lots of power anyways so he would have made something similar). so the only one that goku really gets credit for dragging to earth is freeza, and even then if he hadn't been a dick and not wanted to come home freeza wouldn't have been an issue at all.

It was a flimsy excuse to try to not sound like a huge dick as what he was really saying was, I am going to justify not wanting to raise you by using recent events even though history shows with in the next 10 years some random force will try to take over the planet and if I am not there to stop it they will succeed.

Saiyans: were led to earth because of Goku
Freeza and King Cold: Came to earth in order to get revenge against Goku
Androids including Cell: Built solely to get revenge against Goku

All in the span of five years and Gohan was already stronger than Goku at the time.

Figured I'd ask the DBZ pro's in here. So there is still no way to buy the full run of DBZ with the bruce falconer music and in 4:3? Is the dragonbox what I'm looking for? I know it's out of print but wasn't sure if that's what I needed to get.

Dragon Box only has the Japanese score, so no. Only way you're gonna get the full series with the Funimation Dub, Falconer soundtrack and a non-cropped image is to get the four Blu-Ray "Level" sets for the first 67 episodes and then buying the original DVD singles from there on in.

munchie64

Yes, the Dragon Box is the only way to get the show in its original aspect ratio. They are really, really expensive and do not include the Falconer score. The blu-rays are probably your best option for that, since the cropping is not too bad. The transfer kinda sucks though.
Dragon Box only has the Japanese score, so no. Only way you're gonna get the full series with the Funimation Dub, Falconer soundtrack and a non-cropped image is to get the four Blu-Ray "Level" sets for the first 67 episodes and then buying the original DVD singles from there on in.
There are only two level sets. The other two were planned, but never released.

zulux21

All in the span of five years and Gohan was already stronger than Goku at the time.

saiyans: came because the planet wasn't taken over by goku, goku was assumed to have failed and thus they only came because he hadn't destroyed the world. They did not come in search of him but to finish the job he should have done.

I can't remember right now but it was either krillin or piccolo that lead vegeta to earth by talking about the dragon balls not goku.

Freeza: totally goku's fault.

androids: built solely to get revenge against goku, but had goku been out of the picture there is a 99% chance gero still creates some sort of kill bots to attempt to take over the world. it's not like he would have just stopped creating things in his earlier days unless he had gained control of the world.

The androids even set up an even bigger reason why he shouldn't have left though. The androids weren't built overnight, they were a very long project to get revenge, a revenge project that was going to be put in place with or without goku there as shown by trunk's time line where goku dies before they show up. Thus with all of the intelligent characters there they should have been able to figure out, even with goku dead and gone that doesn't remotely stop enemies from attacking earth to get revenge against goku. The only reason they survived any of those was because of goku (except for the one that was actually goku's fault, trunks saved them there but goku could have) thus leaving made no real sense aside from as a device to try to move on to new characters/ potentially wrap up the series in an ok way if you didn't think much about it.

and yes gohan was technically stronger, but it was drilled into goku hard core during that fight that gohan doesn't like to fight.

Sandfox

saiyans: came because the planet wasn't taken over by goku, goku was assumed to have failed and thus they only came because he hadn't destroyed the world. They did not come in search of him but to finish the job he should have done.

I can't remember right now but it was either krillin or piccolo that lead vegeta to earth by talking about the dragon balls not goku.

Freeza: totally goku's fault.

androids: built solely to get revenge against goku, but had goku been out of the picture there is a 99% chance gero still creates some sort of kill bots to attempt to take over the world. it's not like he would have just stopped creating things in his earlier days unless he had gained control of the world.

The androids even set up an even bigger reason why he shouldn't have left though. The androids weren't built overnight, they were a very long project to get revenge, a revenge project that was going to be put in place with or without goku there as shown by trunk's time line where goku dies before they show up. Thus with all of the intelligent characters there they should have been able to figure out, even with goku dead and gone that doesn't remotely stop enemies from attacking earth to get revenge against goku. The only reason they survived any of those was because of goku (except for the one that was actually goku's fault, trunks saved them there but goku could have) thus leaving made no real sense aside from as a device to try to move on to new characters/ potentially wrap up the series in an ok way if you didn't think much about it.

and yes gohan was technically stronger, but it was drilled into goku hard core during that fight that gohan doesn't like to fight.
The Saiyans came looking for Goku because Raditz happened to remember that he had a brother and didn't realize that Goku failed to take over the planet until after he arrived. The Androids were released without Goku being there, but they never would have been built in the first place if it wasn't for him and that was the point.

The entire point of Gohan vs Cell was to show Gohan that its ok to fight bad people and that he's strong enough to do things himself.

zulux21

The Saiyans came looking for Goku because Raditz happened to remember that he had a brother and didn't realize that Goku failed to take over the planet until after he arrived. The Androids were released without Goku being there, but they never would have been built in the first place if it wasn't for him and that was the point.

The entire point of Gohan vs Cell was to show Gohan that its ok to fight bad people and that he's strong enough to do things himself.

since we likely aren't going to agree on this stuff... can we at least agree that the end of DBZ when goku leaves his family to go raise Uub instead is a giant dick move?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The Androids were created because Goku destroyed R&R. So its either R&R ruling the world, or the Androids ruling the world. Goku prevented both from happening.

-Eddman-

since we likely aren't going to agree on this stuff... can we at least agree that the end of DBZ when goku leaves his family to go raise Uub instead is a giant dick move?

I kinda agree, but the dick move was actually wishing for his existence in the first place. Goku raising Uub was him being responsible; just imagine if a being with the power of the original Majin Buu became evil because he lived in shitty conditions or became a criminal or something.

Sandfox

I don't really agree with that because Goku's kids were grown and this is a world where characters can teleport or fly around the earth in seconds. I like that ending for Goku's character.

The Androids were created because Goku destroyed R&R. So its either R&R ruling the world, or the Androids ruling the world. Goku prevented both from happening.

Pilaf would rule be the ruling the world if Goku wasn't around lol.

This ending is kinda ambiguous. On the one hand, rather than leaving his family for good, Goku may just have been flying to Uub's village to ask Uub's parents if they're okay with him training Uub or something. On the other hand, Bulma and Vegeta at the start of the "end of DBZ" chapter do say that Goku hasn't visited them in 5 years.

DBGT shows post-DBZ Uub living with Goku at Kami's palace, but Neko Majin Z shows post-DBZ Uub living with Goku's and Gohan's families at the "Son" house. Neither Neko Majin nor GT are canon.

Its a HUGE dick move.

He tells them that he will still come home to visit......every now and then.

But Goku can teleport.
It would take him like 1 second to teleport home and spend some time with the family and then another 1 second to teleport himself back to the lookout where he is training.

StayDead

Its a HUGE dick move.

He tells them that he will still come home to visit......every now and then.

But Goku can teleport.
It would take him like 1 second to teleport home and spend some time with the family and then another 1 second to teleport himself back to the lookout where he is training.

Yeah, but Goku is the man who decided to fly through space to get home for months rather than just teleport back like everyone else haha.

evanmisha

I'll give you Toei using some seriously c-grade animation directors and budgets on Sailor Moon Crystal, but the 'ran behind' thing never happened. Every episode has hit the net on time, and I really have no idea what you're referring to.

Mendrox

I'll give you Toei using some seriously c-grade animation directors and budgets on Sailor Moon Crystal, but the 'ran behind' thing never happened. Every episode has hit the net on time, and I really have no idea what you're referring to.

Weren't there delays for Sailor Moon episodes? Some episodes weren't bi weekly anymore?

evanmisha

Weren't there delays for Sailor Moon episodes? Some episodes weren't bi weekly anymore?

It was in fact never supposed to be bi-weekly, it was announced as being the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month and it's adhered to that (admittedly ridiculous) schedule.

Pluto

No, there were no delays, every episode since the series started was on schedule and it was neverr supposed to be bi weekly, it's out every first and third saturday of the month, all three week breaks were pkanned from the start.

Mendrox

No, there were no delays, every episode since the series started was on schedule and it was neverr supposed to be bi weekly, it's out every first and third saturday of the month, all three week breaks were pkanned from the start.

Oh okay... well not that I kept watching after episode 5, because it looked like shit. Is it better now?

Pluto

Oh okay... well not that I kept watching after episode 5, because it looked like shit. Is it better now?
I don't agree that it looked like shit, some scenes were a little dodgy but so was the original anime so it doesn't bother me.
Anyway, the Black Moon arc is really awesome much better than Dark Kingdom, I think Sailor Moon Crystal is definitely worth watching, it was more hurt by overly critical fans who looked at inbetween frames and claimed it was bad art than by actually having bad art (which exists but not to the degree some people claim).
I think the writing during the Dark Kingdom arc is more problematic,mthey added some great things like the Shitennou backstory but how they ultimately dealt with those characters was awful.

Sephzilla

Raditz was lead to Earth to investigate Goku's success/failure on Earth. He was there more to finalize the conquering of Earth, not because of Goku. Vegeta and Nappa came to Earth because of the Dragon Balls. The only threats to Earth that were a direct case of people wanting revenge on Goku were Frieza & King Cold's arrival (and they weren't ever a real threat because Trunks was there, and Goku was right behind them), and the Androids. Although I don't even think you can pin the Androids entirely on Goku because the Red Ribbon Army was always focused on "world domination", the Androids were built to help Gero take out the one true opposing force to his plans. There's a probable chance that Gero would have built some androids anyway had, for example, Goku not survived the Saiyan Saga or Namek.

Crocodile

Is it common in anime to announce a new show two months before its air date and not have any promos available?

It's very abnormal - which is why many in here are pessimistic

There's a new Lupin III series that supposedly started airing last month but all we've seen of it was a 30 second teaser!

A) It got delayed - it was supposed to premiere in Italy in May and then air in Japan in the Fall but it looks like it will air in both countries around the same time in the Fall.

B) We've actually seen images, character art and ANIMATION for it already so the comparison isn't apt :p

zulux21

I don't really agree with that because Goku's kids were grown and this is a world where characters can teleport or fly around the earth in seconds. I like that ending for Goku's character..

gohan was grown up, but had goku's young grandchild who could use a granda in her life that wasn't going to spoil her stupid with gifts.
Goten was 16-17 and could still use a father figure.

Chichi likely also still wanted goku in his life.

you said it yourself, goku and teleport around the world in seconds. Instead of running off with Uub he could have merely said he was going to train him but was clearly set up to still be living with his family and merely teleport to uub when ever training was happening. Everything we know leads towards goku didn't visit his family for years after he left with uub.

Sandfox

Raditz was lead to Earth to investigate Goku's success/failure on Earth. He was there more to finalize the conquering of Earth, not because of Goku. Vegeta and Nappa came to Earth because of the Dragon Balls. The only threats to Earth that were a direct case of people wanting revenge on Goku were Frieza & King Cold's arrival (and they weren't ever a real threat because Trunks was there, and Goku was right behind them), and the Androids. Although I don't even think you can pin the Androids entirely on Goku because the Red Ribbon Army was always focused on "world domination", the Androids were built to help Gero take out the one true opposing force to his plans. There's a probable chance that Gero would have built some androids anyway had, for example, Goku not survived the Saiyan Saga or Namek.
I checked and Raditz came to pick up Goku to get help in order to conquer a planet that would need four Saiyans and if he never came Vegeta, Nappa, and Freeza wouldn't have ever learned about the dragonballs.
gohan was grown up, but had goku's young grandchild who could use a granda in her life that wasn't going to spoil her stupid with gifts.
Goten was 16-17 and could still use a father figure.

Chichi likely also still wanted goku in his life.

you said it yourself, goku and teleport around the world in seconds. Instead of running off with Uub he could have merely said he was going to train him but was clearly set up to still be living with his family and merely teleport to uub when ever training was happening. Everything we know leads towards goku didn't visit his family for years after he left with uub.

Goten was an adult you and you're acting like Goku left their lives for good. All we know is that Goku would visit and we have no idea how things work out after that.

In Neko Majin Z, Uub lives with Goku's family.

Deadstar

Is there any place to buy these dvd sets? Kind of annoying there are only 3 episodes on each. I don't get why Funimation would cut off the top of the picture to make it widescreen. If the show was originally in 4:3, let it stay in 4:3. Making it widescreen is ruining the show.

Pluto

Is there any place to buy these dvd sets? Kind of annoying there are only 3 episodes on each. I don't get why Funimation would cut off the top of the picture to make it widescreen. If the show was originally in 4:3, let it stay in 4:3. Making it widescreen is ruining the show.
That bothers you but you want the Faulconer music? Replacing the original score is just as bad as cutting off the picture to change the aspect ratio imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom