• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
That bothers you but you want the Faulconer music? Replacing the original score is just as bad as cutting off the picture to change the aspect ratio imo.

When the original score sucks no... It's not even close to being as bad.

Deadstar

That bothers you but you want the Faulconer music? Replacing the original score is just as bad as cutting off the picture to change the aspect ratio imo.

I only watched the show on tv so the falconer music is all I know. To ME, that's what DBZ is. The japanese music doesn't sound bad, it's just not what I'm looking for.

NeonZ

Debuts in one month.. Where the hell is footage?!

I guess there's a chance we'll get a preview after the next Kai episode. Usually the first footage for the new seasons of Toei's annual shows (like Pretty Cure) is shown in a similar way, around 4 weeks before the start of the new season. If there isn't a preview though, we'll end up getting our first look from the manga adaptation...

SS
God, I hope it has a strong premier. I feel like it's going to have a very slow start, with a very peaceful beginning just revisiting all of the old characters.

Snaku

Banned
original score >>> bruce falconer

They've both got strengths and weaknesses. For instance Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation is far better in the US version, where Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation is much much better with the original score. One thing is for sure, they're both better than Sumitomo's work on the last two films and the Buu saga of Kai. And guess who's working on Super....

I don't get why Funimation would cut off the top of the picture to make it widescreen. If the show was originally in 4:3, let it stay in 4:3. Making it widescreen is ruining the show.

People are idiots and think that 16:9 > 4:3 is a universal fact rather than something varies depending on what aspect ratio the original show was produced in. There was a vocal group bitching when the Level sets came out that it "wasn't in HD" since it was in 4:3 because we trained people to think HD=16:9.

andymcc

Banned
Fuck that. Original score sounds like a Middle School marching band.
*rolls eyes*

They've both got strengths and weaknesses. For instance Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation is far better in the US version, where Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation is much much better with the original score. One thing is for sure, they're both better than Sumitomo's work on the last two films and the Buu saga of Kai. And guess who's working on Super....

You haven't heard bad until you hear freeza's revival music in F. :(

The only music I liked from the original score were the two scenes with Goku collecting the energy for the spirit bomb against kid. The same song used again when Goku gave the speech to kid buu before finishing him off.

The original Japanese succeeds because of direction. You see the original Funimation dub and every second one of the tracks is blasting. Not a moment of silence.

Faulconer tracks are pretty damn solid on their own.

The original Japanese succeeds because of direction. You see the original Funimation dub and every second one of the tracks is blasting. Not a moment of silence.

Faulconer tracks are pretty damn solid on their own.

Pretty much this. The dub soundtrack was definitely scored with the mindset that if you don't have some sound playing at any given time then the kiddies are just gonna get bored and turn it off. See also Saban's Digimon dub and how everyone's snarking from off-screen to make sure not a second goes by without some noise.

Branson

I really appreciated when I turned off the US soundtrack how it just let the actors..you know , act. I watch Kai for my DBZ fix now but it was a revelation when I went to the original soundtrack and it was a subtle backing track to the performances.

Even though that dub is pretty terrible compaired to Kai.

I don't know how people can like Faulconer when the music just never shuts up. One moment they have some rock music playing, then it switches to some comedy relief music because Mr. Satan is being shown, then it switches to some other rock sound.

It's just ridiculous.

You Faulconer dick suckers are nuts. His music sounds so generic like Power Rangers. At least Kikuchi's music knows when to shut the fuck up

Yamamoto soundtrack was damn good....plagiarized or not

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I think people really just prefer the one they heard first/most. Right now I prefer the Abridged dub voices!

Then again, I never watched the English dub, only the Hebrew and Japanese ones.

batbeg

So, uh, I didn't realize Ocean kept dubbing episodes for international markets I guess. I grew up in England but the time spent jumping between there and the states has me utterly confused as I listen between the dubs and they all sound right to me o_O Especially when you throw Abridged into the mix, lol.

Snaku

Banned
You haven't heard bad until you hear freeza's revival music in F. :(

I love Maximum the Hormone's F. In fact it's the sole reason why Toriyama brought Freeza back in the first place. It's a fitting piece for that scene.

Edit: Storyboard for the ED of Super posted on Twitter, and it features End of Z scholar Gohan!

https://mobile.twitter.com/DB_super2015/status/607115883870187520/photo/1

This is heavily hinting that the series takes place after the timeskip, and not during it like the last two films.

NeonZ

Good, I really hope it takes place after the ending of Z, since that'd give a much stronger feeling of anything be able to happen. If they're giving the series a new subtitle, it really shouldn't take place during a gap in the previous series.

andymcc

Banned

NeonZ

No promo after the newest Kai episode. If there isn't a promo next week, we'll likely see the manga chapter before any promo for the tv show...

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status/607115883870187520?lang=en

関係者の了解をもらったので、先日アップしたエンディングの絵コンテの中身をチラ見せ!(S)

bWk6rVq.jpg

NeonZ

Maybe they're delaying the show and haven't officially announced that yet?

They just officially confirmed the airing date this week though. Previously, it was only a guess based on some of the available information.

e2lxzbu.png

Logo was shown on today's episode of Kai.
Surprised they are keeping it so closed to Z when they usually do completely new logos for everything, guess they want to have a closer association with Z for marketing purposes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The original Japanese score isn't bad, it's just really, really unfitting to the kind of show DBZ is. It's well composed and all, but it belongs in like a 50s Godzilla movie, not Dragonball.

I'm not a fan of Faulconer. His music comes off as very amateurish and clumsy sounding, especially the "comedic" tunes. Even the tracks that I really like (SSJ3, Spirit Bomb, Pikkon's theme) were supposedly not even his works.

The best composer for the series to this day is still Ron Wasserman who did the first 2 American seasons. Probably the best synthesized T.V. soundtrack of all time.

Scott Mcneil is still the best Piccolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMDk1WC5Vjc

Yup. In fact, I'd say the original Ocean actors have yet to be surpassed. The script might have been absolute shit but the talent pool they got was among the best in the biz.

You Faulconer dick suckers are nuts. His music sounds so generic like Power Rangers. At least Kikuchi's music knows when to shut the fuck up

The funny thing about this is that there actually was a Power Rangers composer on the show at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom