• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoze

Hong Kong is definitely a top 5 of mine and sometimes my favorite altogether. Damon pretty much all on his own with a very calm production. Simple yet effective

I have a hard time deciding between that or Stop the Dams, but yeah.

Honestly sometimes I think D-sides is my favorite "album" they've put out, it's kind of incredible despite it being disjointed as b-sides tend to be.

Listened to all of Plastic Beach yesterday, and I can confirm that it is still incredible. Cloud of Unknowing is probably their most beautiful song.

This would be awesome.

Bananaz and The Swagga are also awesome.

If everyone is down I'd be interested in orchestrating it.

Also: The OT is being fixed up and finished as we speak. I'll try to get to the images tomorrow, and over the next few days. Once that's done I'll have it up. I promise it'll be a lot better than what I accidentally posted (Which was the really rough draft)

though I'm still having trouble putting links behind images

Daigoro

$19 for the CD/$28 for the LP is fucking steep! also, dont like the cgi looking cover much at all.

loving what im hearing from the singles though.

$19 for the CD/$28 for the LP is fucking steep! also, dont like the cgi looking cover much at all.

loving what im hearing from the singles though.
I payed $91CAD+Tax for the deluxe vinyl. For the price of the switch I could've had it signed and in color!
sux that I'm broke.

Daigoro

I payed $91CAD+Tax for the deluxe vinyl. For the price of the switch I could've had it signed and in color!
sux that I'm broke.

cant be that broke if you're plopping down 90$ for an album with an art book. :p

at least you're getting something extra for the cash though. $19 for a CD is goddamn outrageous.

hope the art book has more of the old style hand drawn art instead of looking like the cover of this thing!

cant be that broke if you're plopping down 90$ for an album with an art book. :p

at least you're getting something extra for the cash though. $19 for a CD is goddamn outrageous.

hope the art book has more of the old style hand drawn art instead of looking like the cover of this thing!
Well, if we're being real I had to pull a few strings. But this has been the single most impactful thing in my life and I've been into this band since I was 6, and probably will be til the day I die. No way no how I'm giving up the opportunity to own something like that, especially after I missed practically everything from Plastic Beach and before.

But the art book will definitely have plenty of traditional art if Jamie's Instagram has been anything to go by. And while I agree $19 for what should be half that if pretty ridiculous, it is coming with a lot of songs,26 if it's the deluxe. Not nearly as egregious as $25 Arctic Monkeys CDs from HMV that are just regular CD's, they also had a regular copy of Opeths Blackwater Park album on vinyl.
...for $80!
Sad to see them go but their prices were ridiculous sometimes.

I've never actually listened to the full version of Doyathang until now. Thinking about the song as a whole though, at least musically it sounds like a bridge between Plastic Beach and Humanz, which I think is an interesting fact.
Edit: I don't know what I expected.
I really don't.

hughesta

Banned
I've never actually listened to the full version of Doyathang until now. Thinking about the song as a whole though, at least musically it sounds like a bridge between Plastic Beach and Humanz, which I think is an interesting fact.
Edit: I don't know what I expected.
I really don't.
It's the shit

Can album OTs really go up a month before release? Have no problem with it but it strikes me as odd.
That's a good point, I hasn't asked that particular question yet, but I spoke to More_Badass about it being a central place for Gorillaz related threads rather than us posting as many as we have been. But I don't know how much more news that would come out between then and now that would require a new thread. But at the same time this thread is getting pretty good activity and I can foresee that continuing over the next month, so maybe it would be better for all Gorillaz stuff to sit in the OT. But I'll ask a mod and see what they say. Worst case scenario is that it waits a month and ends up being cooler than it already is.

hughesta

Banned
There's a month left to go for Humanz. Maybe start a thread for the album listens we were discussing, and then drop the OT a month in advance?

I mean, everyone already talked about those 4 tracks to death. Keep this one up as a prerelease thread and release the OT when it's closer to release. A month out is a long way away with nothing really new.

Either in this thread or a new one, I'd be interested in getting some recommendations of the best stuff from the collaborators. Like the Vince Staples suggestions from last week.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Then yeah, lets make a pre release thread, have a whole Gorillaz event where we listen to all their material, maybe an album+B-side/EP a week, talk about the best works of their collaberators then post the OT a week before.

Also going to let Wenis and the other user that wanted to do the OT do some work on it and make it more of a collaberative effort so it ends up being really great.

Gorillaz

Personally, I've done a lot of OT's for albums in general and I've always been of the mind to let these kind of hype threads carry the conversation until a week before release then drop the thread either a week before if excitement is high or the day of release if it's low.

Choose your own adventure.

Examples:

Frank Ocean - Blonde |OT| These boys do cry.
HEALTH - Death Magic / AUG 7TH
Sampha || Process || Out February 3rd || "If ever you're listening..."
SBTRKT - Save Yourself - Surprise album drop! Out Now!
Jamie xx - In Colour [June 1st] We're all under one roof raving
Action Bronson - Blue Chips 2, This ain't no Red Lobster sh*t!
Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.
Oxymoron - ScHoolboy Q |OT| "Tell Kendrick move from the throne, I came for it"

Didn't know we had a thread for Sampha and Sbtrkts release on here damn would have been there for the launch of both albums

I also felt like this was a thing that needed to exist
giphy.gif

CRS

Then yeah, lets make a pre release thread, have a whole Gorillaz event where we listen to all their material, maybe an album+B-side/EP a week, talk about the best works of their collaberators then post the OT a week before.

Also going to let Wenis and the other user that wanted to do the OT do some work on it and make it more of a collaberative effort so it ends up being really great.
This is a fine pre-release thread.

Gorillaz is one of those bands that weirdly defined my adolescence. It was one of those bands I dug into because it was so refreshingly weird and experimental. I have fond memories of first listening to Feel Good Inc and watching G4 marathons. Also, yes, it's not weird to think that the few songs released are songs you can't get into. Give them a couple of listens, everything will sink in.

Andromeda is my jam. by the way.

hughesta

Banned
so I listened to the live show again

the streak of "Carnival - Let Me Out - Sex Murder Party - She's My Collar - Hallelujah Money" is maybe the most depressing run on any Damon album ever. Depends on the lyrics to LMO, which are pretty hard to make out... but SMP-SMC-HM is still a rough fuckin streak.

So i just got a cancelled invoice email from warner from gorillaz own site...anyone else get the same thing?

Just checked my order status. Still pending (i.e. they won't charge the card until items have shipped; can see the hold on my bank account from Warner Bros.).

When did you place your preorder? May also need to check bank account as from what I read in the FAQs, anytime the card goes under the designated hold they may cancel the order (don't do this typically until item is ready to be shipped/payment is ready to be charged to the account).

Just checked my order status. Still pending (i.e. they won't charge the card until items have shipped; can see the hold on my bank account from Warner Bros.).

When did you place your preorder? May also need to check bank account as from what I read in the FAQs, anytime the card goes under the designated hold they may cancel the order (don't do this typically until item is ready to be shipped/payment is ready to be charged to the account).

I used pay pal for my order, they sent me a paypal invoice to pay it, which i did. That was on the day the album went up on the website. My order status is still saying pending so I am not sure if this is a mistake or a glitch or what.

I have sent a query over on their website so hope this can be resolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom