• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's like 26 songs on the deluxe album.
We have 6 released if we include let me out. So that's slightly more than a 5th for all recorded album material.

There are 19 songs on the deluxe, I wouldn't count the interludes. And the album proper is 14 songs. I'm not arguing there aren't a ton of songs on the album, but it still seems a pretty high volume of early releases.

The bonus tracks seem to be way more substantial than the ones included with Plastic Beach though. I wonder if they'll feel slapped on or have their own pace and flow, considering one of the bonuses is another interlude

There are 19 songs on the deluxe, I wouldn't count the interludes. And the album proper is 14 songs. I'm not arguing there aren't a ton of songs on the album, but it still seems a pretty high volume of early releases.

The bonus tracks seem to be way more substantial than the ones included with Plastic Beach though. I wonder if they'll feel slapped on or have their own pace and flow, considering one of the bonuses is another interlude

I wouldn't be surprised if the deluxe edition is the "full album" or whatever. Gorillaz usually record a shit load of material for albums (70 songs for Plastic Beach) so maybe they split the two because either they didn't think the average listener would care all that much for that much material or the label stepped in and thought they could get more money out of it.

I didn't even expect another album, but after hearing about Humanz last week, the passage of time has been so slow. I don't want to hear the live versions until I've listened to the actual album, but it's a daily struggle.

Yep, it's sort of crazy. Then again, I think they want to drill home that this isn't another Plastic Beach.

That's the main reason I'm not listening to any more new stuff, what I've heard so far is amazing, and I can wait for the rest. If they did that with Plastic Beach I wouldn't have any problem listening to new stuff because I'd feel like I was still waiting for the good tracks haha.

Fjordson

How does a live performance of Gorillaz go?
Depends on which era.

In the early years, Damon and the band would perform behind what basically looked like a massive sheet. Animated visuals of the characters would be projected onto it and you'd get glimpses of the real band in silhouette behind said sheet.

https://youtu.be/1Q5lDQYoTbU (sorry for the quality, hard to find good videos from this era)

Demon Days era had the band visible, but mostly in shadow, with the featured guests being the focus at the front

https://youtu.be/Di3imyBBX9I

After those shows, the whole hidden band thing was mostly abandoned I think. Not sure when the first Plastic Beach era shows were, but everything I've seen has Damon, The Clash members, etc. out in the open

https://youtu.be/2x6bWw2J0po

aBarreras

Some redditors are looking at the lyrics now and apparently it's pretty anti Trump, so that's cool.

the curious thing is that, the album was recorded before trump win, and damon tell the guests to think on an alternate future where trump won the 2016 presidential election,

for their surprises, it wasnt an alternate future at all

hughesta

Banned
oh no

90ce3c7900a9b587c0215a86efa0cd87.gif

The mixing is pretty disappointing compared with how energetic and pumped up the live version is. The censor honks are annoying too.

Other than that it's pretty cool, will probably grow on me like the others did.

Looks like they censored the words "Obama" and "Trump" which is super shitty.

I guess he didnt want to root the album in a specific time/place which I agree with, but he should have had Pusha T change his verse in the studio not throw up some really awkward and annoying censor sound.

Vectorman

Banned
Never liked the idea of having a featured artist on every single song, especially when the "featured" artist is actually 80% of the song and Gorillaz 20% lol. Also doesn't help that it's mostly rap.

S/T: 3 songs out of 15 had features.
DD: 10 songs out of 15 features.
PB: 10 songs out of 16 had features.
Humanz: 14 songs out of 14 has features. Not including bonus tracks.

Since the original album, the majority of Gorillaz songs always have features. This has kind of been their thing for awhile. If you prefer more solo stuff, Damon's Everyday Robots and The Fall might be more of your thing. I guess if you're not a rap fan, I suppose I can understand where you come from.

Lucent

I'm liking it, but I do prefer the energy and sound of the live version. If only they could do a clean recording of that. And I wish it was longer. It's basically over at 2:30.

I guess he didnt want to root the album in a specific time/place which I agree with, but he should have had Pusha T change his verse in the studio not throw up some really awkward and annoying censor sound.
I doubt it's that since the album will likely be uncensored. I think it's just to protect "sensitive" ears after what happened with Hallelujah Money.

NotLiquid

I feel like Let Me Out is building up a crescendo to something that never really happens. But it's pretty smooth nonetheless.

Qasiel

I feel like Let Me Out is building up a crescendo to something that never really happens. But it's pretty smooth nonetheless.
Came to say pretty much this. I like it, but the perceived build-up tends not to go anywhere. Still miles better than Ascension imo.

aBarreras

Never liked the idea of having a featured artist on every single song, especially when the "featured" artist is actually 80% of the song and Gorillaz 20% lol. Also doesn't help that it's mostly rap.

but thats gorillaz dude, rememeber that the only official members are Damon and Jamie, everybody else are guests artists

FaintDeftone

Really? As a long time Gorillaz fan, I think the featured tracks are the most exciting. Everything I've heard from this album so far has been solid as fuck. I'm really excited for it.

NotLiquid

re: features, while just about every track has a feature, tracks like Busted & Blue and Andromeda show how incredibly subtle some of these features actually are so I wouldn't say they hog things up.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
To me it's always kinda been about whether the featured artists embody the Gorillaz on their particular songs, and that's harder to quantify. I definitely thought Plastic Beach was weaker on that front than Demon Days which excelled. I'll wait to hear the entirety of Humanz before judging, some of the features so far are working better for me than others, but I also think the full context is important.

I doubt it's that since the album will likely be uncensored. I think it's just to protect "sensitive" ears after what happened with Hallelujah Money.

You think the album version won't have the honks? I hope so. Would be shitty if Damon had to acquiesce to people whining about politics in a Gorillaz album, but I don't think he'd do that given all their albums have been pretty overtly political.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom